Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Easy Mac

MLB.tv premium for $20 a year

Don't know why they discounted it $100 if you go through the boxee link, but its only $20 for MLB.tv premium through the link below. That includes HD streams, DVR functionality, and picture-in-picture.

Watch LIVE baseball games on Boxee | MLB.com: Subscriptions

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
Easy Mac

Wow, they literally killed it by the time i finished typing. Watching my credit card to make sure they don't charge me $120.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

So all local games are blacked out through this service? I noticed for the Blue Jays, it says this:

All live Toronto Blue Jays games are blacked out throughout the entire country of Canada.

Kinda crazy. What if they sell out? Even away games?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Travis
Pro Rookie

I was considering picking this up this year to augment the MLB app on the iPhone, but that blackout condition for the Jays just pisses me off.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Miller Time
H.S. Freshman Team

Buyer beware, hands down the worst customer service you will ever experience, especially if you are dealing the their billing department!

Great product, terrible customer support!!
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So all local games are blacked out through this service? I noticed for the Blue Jays, it says this:

All live Toronto Blue Jays games are blacked out throughout the entire country of Canada.

Kinda crazy. What if they sell out? Even away games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I was considering picking this up this year to augment the MLB app on the iPhone, but that blackout condition for the Jays just pisses me off.

It's because the entire nation is considered their "home" market.

Because, as everybody knows, people in Vancouver will root for a team 2,500 miles away over a Mariners team that's just right across the border.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Travis
Pro Rookie

Oh, I know that's their rationale, but as you point out, it's quite asinine. I still like the iPhone app for the videos/radio broadcasts/etc, but they won't be a getting a MLB.tv purchase from me until that blackout rule is change.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
It's because the entire nation is considered their "home" market.

Because, as everybody knows, people in Vancouver will root for a team 2,500 miles away over a Mariners team that's just right across the border.

That's just.... batshit stupid. I don't know what word describes it.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
That's just.... batshit stupid. I don't know what word describes it.

They're trying to keep the web-based broadcasts (radio/TV) from cannibalizing the TV market, which is significantly more profitable, thanks to rights fees.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
sooner333
College Starter

Are the Jays games availible on TV throughout the country?
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think they are. It probably makes sense, I just thought it was weird to see all of Canada is a blackout.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
Travis
Pro Rookie

Up until last year a lot of the Jays games were on TV but last year they changed the programming (at least around here) to include less Jays games and more random (re: Yankees/Red Sox) games which I found very disappointing. I'm assuming there was some outcry as more Jays games found their way back onto Sportsnet but it seemed mostly on non HD channels and it also seemed pretty random which sportsnet channel it ended up being aired on.

The iPhone app started off promising until they started enforcing the blackouts on there as well so that's when I looked into the MLB.tv and found out that was essentially the same thing.

So now I tend to catch up at the end of the day on the app, watching the recap game (basically the last pitch of every AB) for any of the games not televised locally.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
BigPapi
Mascot

Didn't last long I guess...

Last edited by BigPapi : 03-16-2010 at 03:13 PM.
BigPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
LloydLungs
College Prospect

In Las Vegas, SIX teams are blacked out. MLB blackout policy is breathtakingly stupid. Good ol' Bud.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

is anyone doing the MLB Premium Audio package this year? I bought it last year, but the audio quality was shitty. Plus it ran in my BB browser, so i couldn't use the internet when I was listening to the game. Seriously sounded worse than AM radio.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #16
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
In Las Vegas, SIX teams are blacked out. MLB blackout policy is breathtakingly stupid. Good ol' Bud.

Yeah OKC has four. Cardinals, Rangers, Astros, Royals. The Cardinals and Rangers probably are on TV about 100+ times, but not always in HD. The Astros maybe 60-75 times. And while I've read the Royals have a few games on TV here each year, I've rarely actually stumbled across one.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #17
RainMaker
General Manager

A bit of a warning. When I signed up years ago, it was set to automatically renew. You simply can't cancel this service. I could not get a human being on the phone ever. You will have to chargeback your credit card the following year as your way of cancelling.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #18
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Christ, don't get me started on the MLB blackout restrictions.

In Hawai'i the A's and Giants are blacked out because they are considered home territory. Unfortunately, the cable company out here thinks that Los Angeles is the home territory, and only carries Dodgers/Angels games. So...that means if you want to watch Giants or A's games...ever...it involves a 5 hour plane ride.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
A bit of a warning. When I signed up years ago, it was set to automatically renew. You simply can't cancel this service. I could not get a human being on the phone ever. You will have to chargeback your credit card the following year as your way of cancelling.

Cases like this are why I generally try to use a soon-to-expire card on anything that auto-renews.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

They've corrected that situation. There's a check box near the end of the sign-up where you can opt for no auto-renew. They've had that since 2007 when I signed up for it.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-16-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I managed to cancel the radio portion. But it involved sending in a help ticket email. Total pain in the ass and unnecessary.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #22
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post

In Hawai'i the A's and Giants are blacked out because they are considered home territory. Unfortunately, the cable company out here thinks that Los Angeles is the home territory, and only carries Dodgers/Angels games. So...that means if you want to watch Giants or A's games...ever...it involves a 5 hour plane ride.

awwwwwwwwww
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post

That's totally fucked. I didn't understand your previous post and I just assumed you didn't want cable or dish. Isn't the Hawaiian representative pretty well connected. I'd at least email his office.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #24
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
That's totally fucked. I didn't understand your previous post and I just assumed you didn't want cable or dish. Isn't the Hawaiian representative pretty well connected. I'd at least email his office.

Agreed. You can get "MLB Extra Innings" on either Directv, Dishnetwork, or even the cable company, however the Giants/A's games are still blacked out. It's completely backwards and retarded.

Your post motivated me to actually send off an email.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:27 AM   #25
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I managed to cancel the radio portion. But it involved sending in a help ticket email. Total pain in the ass and unnecessary.

Yeah, a couple of years ago that's what happened to me. Last year, as someone else mentioned, I was able to set it to not auto-renew.

Part of me wants to go ahead and sign up again this year because, well...how much longer has Vin got?

But he only does three innings of the radio broadcast anyway, and by the time I get home from work, the game is usually in the 7th-9th inning. :/
Old 03-17-2010, 02:31 AM   #26
RainMaker
General Manager

Can you play this through a Roku?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:35 AM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

yeah, it works very well IMO.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 AM   #28
Philliesfan980
Banned

I've never had any billing issues with them (I've never been in a position where I've wanted to cancel), but I absolutely love this product. I'll probably continue to buy this as long as they offer it.

For a baseball fan who enjoys watching other teams once in a while, this is an excellent product. If you're buying this strictly to watch local teams, as many people have already mentioned, it won't do you much good.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #29
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
yeah, it works very well IMO.

Would you consider getting a Roku only for this? I would probably use the Netflix, but looking at their selection, it probably wouldn't cover many of the TV series I would want to watch (other than the rest of FNL). So, I would be getting a Roku for MLB.tv, saving the hassle and use of my laptop when hooking it up via VGA to my TV. I would probably get the WiFi one so I could also hook it up in the bedroom (as Giants games often start late here).
Old 03-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #30
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Would you consider getting a Roku only for this? I would probably use the Netflix, but looking at their selection, it probably wouldn't cover many of the TV series I would want to watch (other than the rest of FNL). So, I would be getting a Roku for MLB.tv, saving the hassle and use of my laptop when hooking it up via VGA to my TV. I would probably get the WiFi one so I could also hook it up in the bedroom (as Giants games often start late here).

Same here. I have Dish for TV and the do not have the MLB Extra Innings I they are the only company that does not so MLB TV online is my only option. I would also buy a ROKU just for this and Netflix.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #31
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Anybody here with MLB premium willing to help me out with a little 5 minute experiment?