Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
JediKooter
Coordinator

Too good to last...

Welp,

Looks like I may be on the hunt for a new job here in about 2 weeks. My department is downsizing and if I don't find another job within the company in 2 weeks, I'm out of a job. I don't interview well and haven't interviewed for a job in about 10 years.

So this is just great. Lost my wife and my home and now I may lose my job. This is awesome.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Welp,

Looks like I may be on the hunt for a new job here in about 2 weeks. My department is downsizing and if I don't find another job within the company in 2 weeks, I'm out of a job. I don't interview well and haven't interviewed for a job in about 10 years.

So this is just great. Lost my wife and my home and now I may lose my job. This is awesome.

Sorry to read this, Jedi.

What business/position do you work in?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

Sorry to hear.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Damn, that sucks. What are the odds of finding another job in the company?
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Sorry to read this, Jedi.

What business/position do you work in?

I'm a QA software engineer at Apple for Final Cut Studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Sorry to hear.

Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Damn, that sucks. What are the odds of finding another job in the company?

I'm not sure. They gave me a list of jobs within the Applications division, so I need to go through that. They said that was just a small sampling of the total jobs within Apple. So, I may get lucky...I hope.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 02-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
MikeVic
Head Coach

You're at Apple, a big company, I think your chances are higher than if you were at a smaller company at least.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
You're at Apple, a big company, I think your chances are higher than if you were at a smaller company at least.

I'm hoping. I'm going to see if there's anything in iTunes or the iPhone, things that I know won't go away for a long time.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I'm a QA software engineer at Apple.

I would think they have lots of jobs serving this function.

Best of luck.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Good luck, man. Considering I'm going through the same job thing now, I definitely can empathize.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

ugh. good luck man
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
markprior22
High School Varsity

Good luck
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I would think they have lots of jobs serving this function.

Best of luck.

I hope so. I wanted to get my office all packed first before looking at Apple's internal job site. Thanks for the luck.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Good luck, man. Considering I'm going through the same job thing now, I definitely can empathize.

SI

Thanks man. I hope you find something soon and we can post in a "Found a Job" thread for you.

DT & Mark...Thanks guys, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Best of luck Jedi. Use the force on those in charge and you will be fine.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Jedi - keep us posted. I know my BFF was pretty well tied-in with the software community in the Valley...not sure if he knows of anyone looking for software QA engineers, but it can't hurt to ask if you need me to.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #16
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Hey Jedi,

I know Adobe is hiring in several areas as well and if you have the Final Cut skill set and the QA experience should help in several of their app divisions. Check them out.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post

Yes, this is the programmer you are looking for.

Hang in there JK, keep plugging.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #18
BYU 14
Coordinator

Sorry to hear Jedi, keep your head up, with a big company like Apple something should shake out. Best of luck to you.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #19
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Aww dang, sorry JediKooter Would relocating be an option?
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #20
Blackadar
Retired

1. Work on your interview skills immediately. Find someone to practice with and take those sessions seriously. If you interview badly, it's going to be even tougher on you if you get laid off - there are a lot of candidates out there and if you suck at interviews, you won't get a sniff on the open market. At least inside Apple you understand the corporate culture. There's no real excuse for being a bad interviewee.

2. If you do get laid off, file for unemployment the very same day. Don't wait for pride, a pending job offer or the tooth fairy.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #21
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post

Thanks man. I did try that. Didn't work unfortunately. I did get a cupcake though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
Jedi - keep us posted. I know my BFF was pretty well tied-in with the software community in the Valley...not sure if he knows of anyone looking for software QA engineers, but it can't hurt to ask if you need me to.

I will keep updating for sure. Yes, please ask him. At this point in time any possibility is 100% than what I have right now. I really appreciate you asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru
Hey Jedi,

I know Adobe is hiring in several areas as well and if you have the Final Cut skill set and the QA experience should help in several of their app divisions. Check them out.

Adobe is a dang good idea. Plus with Premier and After Effects, that basically the same thing I'm doing...was doing. I'm definitely going to hit up their site tonight. I know ILM is hiring too, but, I'm not sure what for though. I have a possible (extremely slight) in LA and maybe something in Houston, but the Houston thing is months away though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Yes, this is the programmer you are looking for.

Hang in there JK, keep plugging.

Haha! Yes, I will keep plugging away. Hopefully my skill set isn't too niche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14
Sorry to hear Jedi, keep your head up, with a big company like Apple something should shake out. Best of luck to you.

Thanks BYU. I'm hoping that is the case. I have to compete with about 50 other people by my estimate. So, keeping my fingers crossed and my lower case Js dotted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick
Aww dang, sorry JediKooter Would relocating be an option?

Thanks DC. Yes, relocating is an option since my wife freed up my schedule last summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
1. Work on your interview skills immediately. Find someone to practice with and take those sessions seriously. If you interview badly, it's going to be even tougher on you if you get laid off - there are a lot of candidates out there and if you suck at interviews, you won't get a sniff on the open market. At least inside Apple you understand the corporate culture. There's no real excuse for being a bad interviewee.

2. If you do get laid off, file for unemployment the very same day. Don't wait for pride, a pending job offer or the tooth fairy.

Blackadar: For sure need to do that. I haven't really had to interview for a job in about 10/11 years by my calculations. So, there's plenty of rust that needs to be cleaned off.

I will be filing for that very soon. They are keeping us on the payroll for two more weeks then we get a two month severance package.

Let the fun begin...

Old 02-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #22
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

Adobe is a dang good idea. Plus with Premier and After Effects, that basically the same thing I'm doing...was doing. I'm definitely going to hit up their site tonight. I know ILM is hiring too, but, I'm not sure what for though. I have a possible (extremely slight) in LA and maybe something in Houston, but the Houston thing is months away though.

I have fired an email off to my Adobe friends to see if they have anything open in your area.

I will generally hear back in the next day or two.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #23
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I have fired an email off to my Adobe friends to see if they have anything open in your area.

I will generally hear back in the next day or two.

Too awesome MacroGuru!! I appreciate big big big time. Even if nothing pans out with them, I definitely owe you some beer or other beverage of your choice.

Thanks again

Old 02-12-2010, 12:02 AM   #24
JediKooter
Coordinator

Well, hopefully there's some good news soon...Got an email from my former director and he said that ILM is looking for 4 QA guys and actually a few former Apple people I worked with are there in that department. So, George Lucas, you will be getting my resume in the next 48 hours. yes...this is the resume you are looking for...

Old 02-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #25
JediKooter
Coordinator

Ok cool. Just got off the phone with an Apple recruiter and he is setting me up for some interviews on Monday!!

Old 02-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok cool. Just got off the phone with an Apple recruiter and he is setting me up for some interviews on Monday!!

Good way to go into the weekend, on a positive note, and now you can be prepared ... but for the love of Pete, don't stress yourself into a bad way between now & then.

No matter how long since you've done the interview thing, you're a big boy & you can handle this so don't get yourself twisted into a knot over the next couple of days.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #27
cougarfreak
College Starter

Hell, just go in and tell them your FOFC handle, that alone should get you the damn job.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #28
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Good luck, Jedi!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #29
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Good way to go into the weekend, on a positive note, and now you can be prepared ... but for the love of Pete, don't stress yourself into a bad way between now & then.

No matter how long since you've done the interview thing, you're a big boy & you can handle this so don't get yourself twisted into a knot over the next couple of days.

You are absolutely correct Jon. I'm just trying to take it easy for the rest of the weekend and polishing up my resume. Went out last night with some friends from work and other friends that were laid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak
Hell, just go in and tell them your FOFC handle, that alone should get you the damn job.

Haha! If things start looking bad, I just might have to pull that card out and play it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Good luck, Jedi!

/tk

Thanks TK!!

Old 02-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

One of the things I remember from my last go round of interviews is to have a bag of about a dozen stories handy that you can recall details and reflect well on you professionally. I try to mix it up from various times in your career and with different jobs just because it makes the stories seem relevant across my entire body of work.

That way when they ask some interview question you don't have a good answer for, you can just plug in one of these good stories even if it's only tangentially related. It's like when politicians get a question in a debate they don't want to answer then you can just talk about something else that reflects well on you. "So, Mark Sanford- what about that time you went hiking in the Appalachians" "Well, I love my family and there was this one time that little whasshername, my daughter, did something cute and you guys just love when I answer questions about her since she's so cute. Oh, and tax cuts! Next question"

I think that's the only useful job interview advice I have. But, yeah, think up a couple of questions vaguely related to leadership, difficult times at work, and some of the other generic questions that are often asked so that you've won those battles before you even start.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-13-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #31
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
One of the things I remember from my last go round of interviews is to have a bag of about a dozen stories handy that you can recall details and reflect well on you professionally. I try to mix it up from various times in your career and with different jobs just because it makes the stories seem relevant across my entire body of work.

That way when they ask some interview question you don't have a good answer for, you can just plug in one of these good stories even if it's only tangentially related. It's like when politicians get a question in a debate they don't want to answer then you can just talk about something else that reflects well on you. "So, Mark Sanford- what about that time you went hiking in the Appalachians" "Well, I love my family and there was this one time that little whasshername, my daughter, did something cute and you guys just love when I answer questions about her since she's so cute. Oh, and tax cuts! Next question"

I think that's the only useful job interview advice I have. But, yeah, think up a couple of questions vaguely related to leadership, difficult times at work, and some of the other generic questions that are often asked so that you've won those battles before you even start.

SI

Hopefully I can come up with some stories. I think I've led a rather mundane life to be honest though, haha.

Will definitely try and think of some of those questions. A head start will be a big advantage in my opinion. Thanks for the advice Sterling!

Old 02-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #32
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I do bad at interviews, too, and I'm no HR person so this may just be "the blind leading the blind"

SI

Old 02-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #33
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I do bad at interviews, too, and I'm no HR person so this may just be "the blind leading the blind"

SI

Hey, even a broken clock is right two times a day!

Old 02-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #34
JediKooter
Coordinator

Cool. Just got off the phone with the owner of a place for a possible job in LA. Went rather well for an off the cuff type conversation. Should be getting a call on Monday or Tuesday of next week with more detail.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #35
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Welp,

awesome. YOu'll have more time to sit around online all day
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #36
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
awesome. YOu'll have more time to sit around online all day

Haha! And I am!! Of course it helps that it's raining like crazy today.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #37
JediKooter
Coordinator

During my job search today, found an opening for The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien...oops!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #38
JediKooter
Coordinator

Ok, tomorrow is the day, I interview with 13 (yes, 13) people at ILM. So, looks like I get to do the Death Star trench run of interviews on St. Patty's day. Have a few for me!!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #39
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Ok, tomorrow is the day, I interview with 13 (yes, 13) people at ILM. So, looks like I get to do the Death Star trench run of interviews on St. Patty's day. Have a few for me!!

OOoh, good luck!!!!!!!
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #40
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
OOoh, good luck!!!!!!!

Thanks DC!

Old 03-17-2010, 12:09 AM   #41
Izulde
Head Coach

13?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 AM   #42
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
13?

That's what I said. Not because of the stigma attached to that number, but, geez, 13? Couldn't find the rest of the people in the building to interview me? Haha!

Old 03-17-2010, 12:31 AM   #43
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'd think that means they're fairly interested in you though - that's a lot of man-hours to devote to an interview...
Old 03-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #44
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i'd think that means they're fairly interested in you though - that's a lot of man-hours to devote to an interview...

I sure do hope so. Yes, that is quite a bit of time devoted to an interview and hopefully my interview will go better than the one that Luke's aunt and uncle had with the stormtroopers.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:41 AM   #45
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Good luck, man!
/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #46
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

good luck kooter!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:59 AM   #47
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

We recently interviewed for a couple of positions in my contracting group. We had over 100 people apply for two spots, though I should note that the majority of them weren't qualified and were just taking a shot in the dark. It actually made it a bit tough to sort through all of the people qualified for the position to get the two that we thought fit our group best. We probably could have hired 8-9 people if we had that many spots available.

I'm interested to see who I'll be able to hire when I start the winery later this summer. We're going to have some good options available. My only problem will be making sure to hire people that don't jump ship as soon as the market heats back up.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #48
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Good luck, man!
/tk

Thank you TK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
good luck kooter!

Thank you DT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
We recently interviewed for a couple of positions in my contracting group. We had over 100 people apply for two spots, though I should note that the majority of them weren't qualified and were just taking a shot in the dark. It actually made it a bit tough to sort through all of the people qualified for the position to get the two that we thought fit our group best. We probably could have hired 8-9 people if we had that many spots available.

I'm interested to see who I'll be able to hire when I start the winery later this summer. We're going to have some good options available. My only problem will be making sure to hire people that don't jump ship as soon as the market heats back up.

That kind of sounds like what may be going on with the position I'm trying to get. From talking to my potential manager there, she said that it's been about 2 months that the position has been open. So, I wouldn't be surprised if that's why they haven't filled it yet.

Keeping good quality people is always something to consider and a challenge. A great work environment and fair compensation, I think go a long way in keeping good workers around. It's funny, I just read an article that is kind of related to what you are saying, they said younger workers want more pay and more time off than workers from my generation (born in early 70s) and older. They basically said that younger workers (not all of them) don't understand that you have to earn the perks and the pay and you're not going to be a manager after working there for 3 months.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #49
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Good luck!
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #50
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Good luck!

Thank you Passacaglia!