Put Izulde down for seven copies.

Well played.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #52
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
There is really nothing there. More varied news stories? Create and print baseball cards?

I was sort of joking that the development period was short, but if those are the biggest of the new features then it's barely above a roster update.

Just don't buy it then. I'll be picking it up and I'll certainly enjoy these changes.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #53
Ramzavail
College Starter

I was going to buy it anyway. But I'm glad this made it back to the game from the old season ticket days.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/ootp11/screens/s1.jpg
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #54
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
I was going to buy it anyway. But I'm glad this made it back to the game from the old season ticket days.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/ootp11/screens/s1.jpg

I've never missed it but am glad it's in for those that want it. I'd prefer hiring base coaches and let them make the call, with the ability to do it yourself if you wanted to. Then I'd have an ass to chew after the game when things didn't go well
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #55
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Just don't buy it then. I'll be picking it up and I'll certainly enjoy these changes.

So on a message board that is somewhat loosely based on discussing text sims, don't discuss them. Got it.

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 02-21-2010 at 11:03 AM.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #56
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Will Carroll likes how ootp scouting works.
epic
Old 02-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #57
molson
General Manager

I didn't get last year's version, but I'm sure this game continues to kick ass in the simple, fictional, no-scouting, no-financials, no-feeder leagues I tend to run.

Last edited by molson : 02-21-2010 at 12:00 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #58
SunDevil
College Prospect

Still waiting for Markus's response to lynchjm24's comments.....
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #59
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I might be grossly mistaken, but I have a feeling that those two have had the exact same discussion for the past 15 years in a row.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #60
miked
College Starter

I'm sleep deprived from a sick baby, but I still don't really get Lynch's message. In his brief test there, his high paid, high rated scout was much more accurate than the OSA, if I'm reading it correctly. Like I said, I'm in a fog, but I'd like it explained to me in the usual condescending way Jim is so good at. Please?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #61
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I'm sleep deprived from a sick baby, but I still don't really get Lynch's message. In his brief test there, his high paid, high rated scout was much more accurate than the OSA, if I'm reading it correctly. Like I said, I'm in a fog, but I'd like it explained to me in the usual condescending way Jim is so good at. Please?

What worse? Condescending or passive-aggressive?

Let's say I'm picking first in that draft. My scout identifies 4 5* prospects. Based on why my scout told me, the best prospect is the ridiculously rated middle infielder. However, I can go to the internet, punch up Baseball America (OSA) and I know exactly which of the 4 to select, and of those 4 players only one of them is actually a good prospect (the starting pitcher - which is obvious when you look at the OSA ratings).

Let's say I'm picking 11th in that draft. Then I watch 10 teams pass on a 5* first base prospect who my scout thinks is a future HOFer. So, even without OSA, I know that my scout is wrong, because I know that the way scouting works in OOTP - it's never the outlier who is right, if you are the outlier you are always wrong. It happens in almost every round of a solo league with scouting on. There will be one or two players who are much better who all the other teams are passing on - and it's obvious why they are passing - it's my scout who is wrong.

So to successfully build a team in OOTP playing solo with scouting on the best strategy is to:

A. Use OSA to determine which of your scouts grades are legitimate
and
B. If you are picking outside of the first 5 picks in the first round, you NEVER want to pick the player your scout says is best.

It takes 5 minutes to set up a league and 30 minutes to simulate a half dozen drafts to see that if you have the best scout, budget the money for scouting amateurs and then actually follow the scout's recommendations you end up with one dogshit draft after another.

As for discussing this 15 years, I think this is only the second time I've ever posted about the issue in depth and I'm pretty sure the other time was on the OOTP board.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #62
miked
College Starter

Wasn't really be passive-aggressive, I just had no idea what you were talking about. Seemed to me your scout did a pretty decent job. There are interesting tidbits here, but I want to some testing. You inspired me.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:50 AM   #63
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So to successfully build a team in OOTP playing solo with scouting on the best strategy is to:

A. Use OSA to determine which of your scouts grades are legitimate
and
B. If you are picking outside of the first 5 picks in the first round, you NEVER want to pick the player your scout says is best.

It takes 5 minutes to set up a league and 30 minutes to simulate a half dozen drafts to see that if you have the best scout, budget the money for scouting amateurs and then actually follow the scout's recommendations you end up with one dogshit draft after another.

I don't necessarily disagree with you here, but the MLB draft is notoriously unpredictable. There's tons of players that have made it from the lower rounds, and a laundry list of guys that got drafted high and never even cracked the majors. Scouts are often wrong.

I think that your A analysis is quite fair. Don't use one source to determine your draft pick. You analyze a number of factors and make your decisions that way. I'm sure that in real life, GM's read the draft rankings and cross-index to their scout data before making up their minds.

I do miss having multiple scouts though. That way it gives you a better indicator that your head scout may be out to lunch, if all your other scouts are rating a player 1* and he is giving him 5*.

Hopefully with the added stats for prospects (hopefully that give you real indicators and not just random stats), the OSA rankings and your head scout ranking, you can have an idea of whether a prospect is good or not. It reminds me of FOF, if you just look at the bars it is extremely misleading, you have to look at the overrated / underrated, the combine scores etc PLUS the bars to help you determine things.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:51 AM   #64
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree with you here, but the MLB draft is notoriously unpredictable. There's tons of players that have made it from the lower rounds, and a laundry list of guys that got drafted high and never even cracked the majors. Scouts are often wrong.

I think that your A analysis is quite fair. Don't use one source to determine your draft pick. You analyze a number of factors and make your decisions that way. I'm sure that in real life, GM's read the draft rankings and cross-index to their scout data before making up their minds.

I do miss having multiple scouts though. That way it gives you a better indicator that your head scout may be out to lunch, if all your other scouts are rating a player 1* and he is giving him 5*.

Hopefully with the added stats for prospects (hopefully that give you real indicators and not just random stats), the OSA rankings and your head scout ranking, you can have an idea of whether a prospect is good or not. It reminds me of FOF, if you just look at the bars it is extremely misleading, you have to look at the overrated / underrated, the combine scores etc PLUS the bars to help you determine things.

There is no way that scouting directors are using Baseball America to inform their decisions. They are using things like Baseball America as a tool of misinformation so that the other teams don't know what players they are really on.

I guess I'm not getting my point across very well. I'm not saying that my scout isn't accurate enough and I'm not saying that I should have some unrealistic amount of success in the draft no matter how much I spend.

A: I shouldn't be able to use OSA to be certain which of the 4 5* players I should draft.

B: I shouldn't be able to tease out by who the other teams are drafting the players that my scout has not only rated incorrectly, but has rated high by multiple standard deviations.

C: If you the 3rd or 4th player on your scout's board in every round (except the first 5 picks of the draft), you will end up with better prospects then if you pick the player your scout likes best. This is because it is much more likely that those players are scouted appropriately.

It isn't a question of accuracy, it isn't a question of attrition of prospects - it's a clear design flaw with the logic around drafting players with scouts on.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #65
CraigSca
Pro Starter

It sounds to me that the problem is the deltas between the hired scout and the OSA. If your scout thought he was a first round pick and OSA thought he was a 2nd, that would be okay. However, if your scout thinks he's horrible while OSA thinks he's great, that's a problem.

Really, I would think scouting would work like this. The guys real rating is a 50. My scout has him at whatever +- 10. The OSA has him at whatever +- 20.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #66
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm sorry, this is ootpx on "LOW" injuries.

Is this even close to being right, this was 2 weeks worth of spring training

New York Yankees: CF C. Gomez was injured when his car skidded off the road due to poor weather conditions. The Diagnosis: elbow contusion. He's expected to miss about 5 days.
Thursday, March 21st, 2013
Boston Red Sox: SS Y. Navarro was injured while throwing the ball. The Diagnosis: hamstring strain. He's expected to miss about 6-7 weeks.
Toronto Blue Jays: 2B L. Soto was injured in a collision at a base. The Diagnosis: oblique strain. He's expected to miss about 4 weeks.
Colorado Rockies: CL T. Otani was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: finger blister. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 4 days.
Cincinnati Reds: SP J. Beckett was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: elbow soreness. He's expected to miss about 6 days.
San Francisco Giants: RF D. Belcher was injured on a defensive play. The Diagnosis: fractured ankle. He's expected to miss about 3-4 months.
San Francisco Giants: 2B E. Burriss was injured in a collision at a base. The Diagnosis: shoulder soreness. He's expected to miss about 3 weeks.
Wednesday, March 20th, 2013
Tampa Bay Rays: MR A. Rodriguez was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: torn rotator cuff. He's expected to miss about 7 months.
Monday, March 18th, 2013
Houston Astros: 3B A. LaRoche was injured while stealing a base. The Diagnosis: ruptured Achilles tendon. He's expected to miss about 6-7 months.
Florida Marlins: RF B. Jones was injured on a defensive play. The Diagnosis: bruised foot. He's expected to miss about 1-2 weeks.
Cincinnati Reds: SS C. Valaika was injured in a collision at a base. The Diagnosis: sprained wrist. He's expected to miss about 4 weeks.
Arizona Diamondbacks: C S. Coughlin was injured while running the bases. The Diagnosis: strained hamstring. He's expected to miss about 3 weeks.
Sunday, March 17th, 2013
Boston Red Sox: RF J. Reddick was injured in a collision at a base. The Diagnosis: separated shoulder. He's expected to miss about 3 weeks.
Los Angeles Angels: 3B E. Encarnacion was injured in a collision at a base. The Diagnosis: sprained finger. He's expected to miss about 3 weeks.
Los Angeles Angels: 1B K. Morales was injured while running the bases. The Diagnosis: groin tightness. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 1 day.
San Francisco Giants: SP S. Barnes was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: sprained ankle. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 2 weeks.
St. Louis Cardinals: MR B. Fuentes was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: partially torn labrum. He's expected to miss about 4 months.
St. Louis Cardinals: SS M. Izturis was injured in a collision at a base. The Diagnosis: sprained thumb. He's expected to miss about 3-4 weeks.
Atlanta Braves: SP C. Rohrbough was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: elbow inflammation. He's expected to miss about one week.
Saturday, March 16th, 2013
Tampa Bay Rays: CF B. Upton was injured in a collision at a base. The Diagnosis: shoulder soreness. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 2 weeks.
Tampa Bay Rays: MR J. Bannister was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: rotator cuff strain. He's expected to miss about 4 weeks.
Oakland Athletics: LF C. Carter was injured while running the bases. The Diagnosis: mild abdominal strain. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 6 days.
Florida Marlins: RF J. Hermida was injured while throwing the ball. The Diagnosis: strained oblique. He's expected to miss about 4-5 weeks.
St. Louis Cardinals: MR T. Norrick was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: sore shoulder. He's expected to miss about 3 weeks.
Friday, March 15th, 2013
Detroit Tigers: RF G. Gross was injured on a defensive play. The Diagnosis: sore hamstring. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 4 days.
Chicago White Sox: LF R. Pena was injured on a defensive play. The Diagnosis: sprained elbow. He's expected to miss about 1-2 weeks.
St. Louis Cardinals: C T. Cruz was injured while running the bases. The Diagnosis: thigh muscle strain. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 6 days.
Arizona Diamondbacks: RF J. Upton was injured while running the bases. The Diagnosis: groin tightness. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 2 days.
Washington Nationals: RF M. Bradley was injured on a defensive play. The Diagnosis: fractured fibula. He's expected to miss about 3 months.
Thursday, March 14th, 2013
Detroit Tigers: SP T. Stovall was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: herniated disc (neck). He's expected to miss about 2-3 weeks.
Detroit Tigers: LF W. Ramirez was injured on a defensive play. The Diagnosis: strained oblique. He's expected to miss about 2 weeks.
Baltimore Orioles: C D. Ricardo was injured in a collision at a base. The Diagnosis: sore hamstring. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 1 day.
St. Louis Cardinals: 1B R. Howard was injured while running the bases. The Diagnosis: groin tightness. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 5 days.
New York Mets: SP J. Karstens was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: torn flexor tendon (elbow). He's expected to miss about 6-7 months.
Milwaukee Brewers: 2B R. Weeks was injured while running the bases. The Diagnosis: ruptured Achilles tendon. He's expected to miss about 4 months.
Wednesday, March 13th, 2013
Baltimore Orioles: SP Z. Britton was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: elbow tendinitis. He's expected to miss about 8 weeks.
Milwaukee Brewers: SS O. Tejeda was injured while running the bases. The Diagnosis: hip strain. He's expected to miss about 3 weeks.
Washington Nationals: MR T. Patton was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: mild hamstring strain. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 3 days.
Tuesday, March 12th, 2013
Milwaukee Brewers: MR W. Peralta is ill. The Diagnosis: viral infection. He's expected to miss about 3 days.
Kansas City Royals: SP J. Blanton was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: mild oblique strain. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last one week.
Kansas City Royals: RF S. Costa was injured being hit by a pitch. The Diagnosis: bruised thigh. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 5 days.
Florida Marlins: 2B A. Gonzalez was injured in a collision at a base. The Diagnosis: hamstring strain. He's expected to miss about 2-3 weeks.
New York Mets: CF J. Gerut was injured while running the bases. The Diagnosis: broken bone in elbow. He's expected to miss about 7-8 months.
Monday, March 11th, 2013
Houston Astros: LF C. DeLome was injured while running the bases. The Diagnosis: ankle soreness. He's expected to miss about 2 weeks.
Colorado Rockies: C W. Rosario was injured while running the bases. The Diagnosis: sprained ankle. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 2 weeks.
Arizona Diamondbacks: SP D. McGowan was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: chronic back soreness. He's expected to miss about 4 weeks.
Sunday, March 10th, 2013
San Francisco Giants: SP W. Joaquin is ill. The Diagnosis: flu-like symptoms. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 3 days.
Detroit Tigers: CF X. Avery was injured on a defensive play. The Diagnosis: fractured hand. He's expected to miss about 4 weeks.
Baltimore Orioles: MR C. Ray was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: sore ankle. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 1 day.
Texas Rangers: 2B I. Kinsler was injured in a collision at a base. The Diagnosis: wrist tendinitis. He's expected to miss about 3 weeks.
Houston Astros: CF J. Austin was injured while throwing the ball. The Diagnosis: shoulder soreness. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 6 days.
Pittsburgh Pirates: MR R. Uviedo was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: mild oblique strain. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 2 days.
Milwaukee Brewers: LF L. Scott was injured on a defensive play. The Diagnosis: intercostal strain. He's expected to miss about 5 weeks.
Saturday, March 9th, 2013
Detroit Tigers: SS B. Douglas was injured while running the bases. The Diagnosis: quadriceps strain. He's expected to miss about 5 days.
Tampa Bay Rays: MR J. Bannister was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: sore elbow. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 6 days.
Oakland Athletics: CF C. Brown was injured on a defensive play. The Diagnosis: herniated disc (back). He's expected to miss about 2 weeks.
Washington Nationals: RF M. Burgess was injured in a collision at a base. The Diagnosis: sprained thumb. He's expected to miss about 2 weeks.
Houston Astros: SP R. Tucker was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: sore ankle. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 1 day.
Friday, March 8th, 2013
Minnesota Twins: SS C. de la Cruz was injured in a collision at a base. The Diagnosis: sprained ankle. He's expected to miss about one week.
Seattle Mariners: SP M. Cleto was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: torn UCL (Tommy John surgery). He's expected to miss about 13 months.
Florida Marlins: SS H. Ramirez was injured in a collision at a base. The Diagnosis: high ankle sprain. He's expected to miss about 3 weeks.
Chicago Cubs: C M. Cerda was injured while throwing the ball. The Diagnosis: mild oblique strain. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 2 days.
Thursday, March 7th, 2013
Kansas City Royals: RF C. Aldridge was injured while slamming into a car stopped at a red light. The Diagnosis: mild hamstring strain. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 3 days.
Colorado Rockies: SP J. Vazquez was injured while pitching. The Diagnosis: torn rotator cuff. He's expected to miss about 8-9 months.
Colorado Rockies: RF B. Rike was injured on a defensive play. The Diagnosis: sprained finger. He's expected to miss about 2 weeks.
Florida Marlins: LF C. Lin was injured while throwing the ball. The Diagnosis: back stiffness. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 1 day.
Arizona Diamondbacks: LF C. Johnson was injured while running the bases. The Diagnosis: quadriceps soreness. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 3 days.
Wednesday, February 13th, 2013
Los Angeles Angels: CF C. Fuller was injured while trying to win a prize by knocking all the bottles over at the county fair. The Diagnosis: back spasms. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last one week.
Monday, February 11th, 2013
St. Louis Cardinals: S. Lewis has suffered a setback in his recovery. He is not expected to recover for another 8 weeks.
Thursday, February 7th, 2013
Arizona Diamondbacks: C J. Brashear was injured while taping a late night television show. The Diagnosis: high ankle sprain. He's expected to miss about 6-7 weeks.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #67
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's 22 injuries of around a month or longer, in something like 15 days worth of spring training. This is on low. Admittedly I don't have any real life data to compare this too, but I'd have to wonder what exactly "High" is?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #68
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Everything is working perfectly as designed.

Welcome to Cooperstown.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #69
molson
General Manager

I want to know what TV show this is:

"Arizona Diamondbacks: C J. Brashear was injured while taping a late night television show. The Diagnosis: high ankle sprain. He's expected to miss about 6-7 weeks."
Old 02-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #70
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I want to know what TV show this is:

"Arizona Diamondbacks: C J. Brashear was injured while taping a late night television show. The Diagnosis: high ankle sprain. He's expected to miss about 6-7 weeks."

The Tonight Show. Jim Fowler brought a tiger on and it went after him. He tripped trying to scramble back over the couch to get out of the way.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #71
molson
General Manager

As for the injuries, I'm sure there's a lot more than 22 players who will miss more than the 1st month of the season, though a lot of those are carryover injuries from last season, or the offseason.

I can see having to exaggerate spring training a little injuries to get that effect. I'm sure the end-of-season stats are pretty good.

Last edited by molson : 02-23-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #72
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
The Tonight Show. Jim Fowler brought a tiger on and it went after him. He tripped trying to scramble back over the couch to get out of the way.

Either Brashear was one of the stagehands to help with animals, or the Tonight Show is really hurting for guests.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:50 PM   #73
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm sorry, this is ootpx on "LOW" injuries.

Is this even close to being right, this was 2 weeks worth of spring training

This is a topic that has been raised and debated many times at the ootp boards, but ultimately the powers-that-be believe the injury levels are accurate, and they have data to back up those claims. If anyone is going to force a change in this, they will have to back it up with their own set of real data to prove that the injury levels are not accurate (if that is in fact the case).
Old 02-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #74
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
...scouting is broken...

lynchjm, here is what I suspect is happening regarding scouting in ootp:

1. all computer controlled teams do not have their own scouts - they instead rely on the OSA scout
2. if the OSA scout was horrible, the game AI would be even more out of whack because the teams would be basing their decisions solely on the poor OSA evaluations, which would result in a game that is even easier to beat - easier than the environment that you say is aready too easy.

i could be totally wrong. *shurg*
Old 02-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #75
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
This is a topic that has been raised and debated many times at the ootp boards, but ultimately the powers-that-be believe the injury levels are accurate, and they have data to back up those claims. If anyone is going to force a change in this, they will have to back it up with their own set of real data to prove that the injury levels are not accurate (if that is in fact the case).

I've always thought the problem was a bias toward long term injuries. I don't mind accurate amounts of injuries, but it seems like there are way too few 3-7 day injuries.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #76
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #77
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Oaktown in the house.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:41 AM   #78
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sure scouts are often wrong, but the draft isn't a random crap shoot. Guys drafted early have a much better chance of being big time prospects than guys drafted late. Overall scouts do a pretty good job of grading talent. Look at the draft round for BA's top 100 prospects for 2010.

44: First
6: Supplemental first, second
5: Fourth, fifth
2: Third, eighth, 10th
1: Sixth, ninth, 11th, 15th, 17th, 18th,
20th, 22nd, 33rd, 36th
Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #79
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I've always thought the problem was a bias toward long term injuries. I don't mind accurate amounts of injuries, but it seems like there are way too few 3-7 day injuries.

I don't know if that's true or not, but from a gameplay perspective, I'd rather have fewer 3-7 day injuries than in real life, as I try to get through seasons relatively quickly, and hate having to fiddle with the lineup too much for day-to-day injuries, etc.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #80
Sgran
High School Varsity

to tell the truth, I would be happy if all they fixed was how my back-up catcher is automatically made the reserve short stop because he played there once in little league.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #81
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
to tell the truth, I would be happy if all they fixed was how my back-up catcher is automatically made the reserve short stop because he played there once in little league.

+1
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #82
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Re Sgran:

You can already force players to only play a specific position in the player strategies area. Very cool feature.

Last edited by Bigsmooth : 02-24-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #83
stevew
Hall Of Famer

that's for forcing them to start at a certain position, not for only at that postition, i think.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #84
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

I would've sworn the Masturbating Bear was involved somehow.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #85
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jay Leno wanted the D-backs catching job.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:11 AM   #86
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
Re Sgran:

You can already force players to only play a specific position in the player strategies area. Very cool feature.

I'll give this a look.

When I'm playing single-player I just go into the editor and erase meager talents at silly positions to avoid this, but in a league I'm guessing that would be seen as tampering.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #87
SunDevil
College Prospect

That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #88
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
lynchjm, here is what I suspect is happening regarding scouting in ootp:

1. all computer controlled teams do not have their own scouts - they instead rely on the OSA scout
2. if the OSA scout was horrible, the game AI would be even more out of whack because the teams would be basing their decisions solely on the poor OSA evaluations, which would result in a game that is even easier to beat - easier than the environment that you say is aready too easy.

i could be totally wrong. *shurg*

I don't *think* this is the case. From what I've seen there is just too much randomness. If you take a case of a simple standard deviation away from the players "true ratings" it makes sense that there are a few guys in each draft like lynchjim is talking about (OSA max underrates, my scout max overrates) that aren't as good as my scout sees. Obviously because OSA can only be "so wrong" these players aren't as good as my scout thinks they are and we can easily identify them. How you fix that is probably a bit tougher. Sounds like we are looking for a system that says "great scouts should be wrong a lot less often - especially on established talent - and there shouldn't be such a wide range of difference when evaluating players". It's a very interesting discussion though. I booted up OOTP 10 on my new machine last night just to test how fast it runs and was immediately reminded why I play with scouting off. The difference between OSA and my scout on almost every player is huge and I just have no interest in trying to figure out which is right or subtracting x from y to get some sort of consensus.

That being said I do think Marcus gets a tough rap on this board and we hold OOTP to a higher standard we hold other text sims. When you strip out some of the "features" it's an incredibly solid, fun and stable sim and probably the gold standard today (other than FM). And at least he's made it customizable enough that you can take these features out. Let's take TCY - do we focus on the fact that it's a great, solid game or do we focus on the fact that some of the design decisions make it unrealistic and way too easy (e.g. as one of the lowest prestige teams in the country I can still sign ten top 20 players every year if I focus on academics for a few years at the start of the game)

Last edited by bhlloy : 02-25-2010 at 09:44 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #89
spleen1015
Coordinator

What folks are doing with the new import FaceGen feature....

hxxp://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-11-general-discussions/193202-far-my-favorite-new-feature-facegen-real-picture-import.html
Old 02-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #90
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That being said I do think Marcus gets a tough rap on this board and we hold OOTP to a higher standard we hold other text sims.

Ya, I think that's definitely true. He involves himself in a dialogue with the customers and suddenly people just get pissed at him at the quality of the game, throwing his (English as his second language) words back at him, etc. If he stayed off the boards and just considered suggestions without giving commentary back, the game would be treated much more kindly.

Last edited by molson : 02-25-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #91
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

My problem has nothing to do with ESL issues. Marcus consistently claims most problems have already been fixed or aren't problems at all. If he stopped claiming so many things were working perfectly, but instead just thanked people for pointing out issues, you're right, he would be treated more kindly.

His customer relation skills hurt him as much or more than any problems with the game IMO.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #92
Nice Guy Eddie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
My problem has nothing to do with ESL issues. Marcus consistently claims most problems have already been fixed or aren't problems at all. If he stopped claiming so many things were working perfectly, but instead just thanked people for pointing out issues, you're right, he would be treated more kindly.

His customer relation skills hurt him as much or more than any problems with the game IMO.

but the issue remains...those issues he claims are "fixed", or "working as intended" are not what the customer base really wants.
Nice Guy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #93
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Guy Eddie View Post
but the issue remains...those issues he claims are "fixed", or "working as intended" are not what the customer base really wants.

If something that the designer feels is "working as intended", isn't working the way the customer base wants, then they shouldn't buy the game. There's offering feedback, and there's badgering a guy who's not making their personally preferred game (whether that's a design decision, or just a technological limitation)

It seems text sims have advanced far enough now that they're criticized by people for any differences between playing the game and actually running an MLB team.

I guess I agree that he might lack some customer relation/English language skills (which ideally would be someone else's job anyway), and he admirably tries to be all things to everyone. Who just get them pissed off at him. Come to think of it, it's kind of odd that all of GDS's developers seem to have to be involved in all the message boards. I wonder if GDS encourages/requires them to do that. Maybe these companies should have PR/customer service people to deal with us.

Last edited by molson : 02-25-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #94
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

It seems text sims have advanced far enough now that they're criticized by people for any differences between playing the game and actually running an MLB team.

I think that listening to the lunatic fringe on the OOTP board was a mistake. They kept trading fun for realism and now the game isn't all that much fun.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #95
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

What do you expect if the games creator calls it the most realistic baseball experience?

Quote:
Maybe these companies should have PR/customer service people to deal with us.

Great we can pay $60 bucks a games instead of $35.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #96
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
What do you expect if the games creator calls it the most realistic baseball experience?

What baseball sim is better?
Old 02-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #97
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
What baseball sim is better?

Not saying any are, just stating the reason why some might complain.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #98
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Not saying any are, just stating the reason why some might complain.

When they say "most realistic baseball experience", I think they mean in terms of games. Actually running an MLB team is probably more realistic, and I don't think they would claim otherwise.

Last edited by molson : 02-26-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #99
Nice Guy Eddie
Banned

Quote:
I think that listening to the lunatic fringe on the OOTP board was a mistake. They kept trading fun for realism and now the game isn't all that much fun.

I would not agree with this. I feel the game is very fun, but needs it's many loose ends tied up and secured.
Nice Guy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #100
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

After reading over the improvements/new features.. I decided to save $10.

I just hope Markus has made it easy to just "jump" into a real 2010 MLB baseball universe.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-27-2010 at 12:18 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote