Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2023, 08:48 PM   #51
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Alright, been working my butt off on this, and it's ready for outside testing:

Are you tired of MLS's byzantine rule system? Can't tell your Generation Adidas from your designated player (young or otherwise?) Wish that America had promotion and relegation like (insert your favorite nation here)..

Well, it's never going to happen in real life, but at least in FM you can, with this Mod.

It replaces MLS with a three tier American Pyramid in this initial release.

A 30 team American Premier League (all 29 existing MLS teams, along with San Diego, who will be joining MLS in the future). They play a 43 game season (29 games in a single round robin, then the league splits into championship and relegation groups, and each group plays a further round robin, giving 43 games). The Top Six teams qualify for a championship playoff. The bottom four teams drop down to..

A 29 team American Championship Conference (Featuring USL Championship teams and upcoming expansion teams, which I had to create). Similar to the APL, they split into a promotion/relegation group after a single round robin (28 games), where both groups play another single round robin against teams from their group. (this means the promotion group plays a 42 game season, while the relegation group plays a 41 game season. Three teams auto promoted to the APL, while the fourth-seventh place team playoff for a fourth promotion spot. The bottom four teams in the relegation group drop down to..

A 20 team American League One (Featuring USL League One teams and the top USL League Two teams by reputation), playing a 38 game season. Top three promote to the Championship Conference, 4th and 5th play off for the final promotion spot.

A midweek US League Cup, featuring all 79 teams from the three divisions (30 teams from the lower levels play a preliminary round, and the 15 winners join the 49 other teams in a 64 team knockout tournament. The championship is played at the Rose Bowl.

This league is currently feature complete, with TV money, prize money (for both game results (wins and draws in the league earn some money, so every game has something riding on it) and league position), and Parachute payments set.

I have run several test runs through the editor and in game, but let me know of any crashes or issues.

Possibly coming in further versions:

tweaking team and league finances so MLS teams don't dominate more than they already do (right now, the lowest MLS teams in my tests have enough finances to just about instantly bounce back up in most all circumstances).

POSSIBLY adding an USA League Two. (this is iffy, because I'm not 100% sure how to add in all the amateur teams divisions, and rebalancing everything would be a stone cold bitch to do). I also may fold in the teams from Canada's structure into the American Premier League (possibly renaming the APL the North American Premier League)

Recommendation: Tick "Add players to playable teams", because a lot of the non-MLS teams do not have a full roster (which is another reason to look at rebalancing), and add staff to playable teams.

Link: APL 0.75

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 04:01 AM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

fwiw, I will say that the console version does seem at least ... playable? bearable? in terms of the really-not-made-for-this controls.

No, I haven't tried using the mouse with the XBox to this point. Mine is wired and that'd be a real bitch to switch around, so I'm trying to deal with the controller to see if I can get the hang of it.

Starting out in the lowest available tier (so, third) in Northern Ireland. Queens University is where my son did his overseas study so they felt like a natural place to learn (no pun intended).

I'm also trying to do it with a bit of house rules. IRL they require 75% of the roster to be either current or former students, so I'm limiting myself to signing only 17-22 year old players unless I happen across one that played there previously in their 17-22 years before moving on. Older players already in the club who played here in that age range also count for the 75% afaic.

It's not going to be perfect (I can't find how they define that 75%, match day? contracted overall? something else?) but my intentions are good at least.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:41 AM   #53
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Sir Fozzie, I might have to try that. It sounds like a fun way to play in the states. I have never really enjoyed playing in the MLS because the rules for getting players are too convoluted. Trying to start at a low end club and working your way up would be fun. I'm just going to have to decide which city/club I want to start with since Atlanta is already in the MLS.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:39 AM   #54
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Alright, been working my butt off on this, and it's ready for outside testing:

Are you tired of MLS's byzantine rule system? Can't tell your Generation Adidas from your designated player (young or otherwise?) Wish that America had promotion and relegation like (insert your favorite nation here)..

Well, it's never going to happen in real life, but at least in FM you can, with this Mod.

It replaces MLS with a three tier American Pyramid in this initial release.

A 30 team American Premier League (all 29 existing MLS teams, along with San Diego, who will be joining MLS in the future). They play a 43 game season (29 games in a single round robin, then the league splits into championship and relegation groups, and each group plays a further round robin, giving 43 games). The Top Six teams qualify for a championship playoff. The bottom four teams drop down to..

A 29 team American Championship Conference (Featuring USL Championship teams and upcoming expansion teams, which I had to create). Similar to the APL, they split into a promotion/relegation group after a single round robin (28 games), where both groups play another single round robin against teams from their group. (this means the promotion group plays a 42 game season, while the relegation group plays a 41 game season. Three teams auto promoted to the APL, while the fourth-seventh place team playoff for a fourth promotion spot. The bottom four teams in the relegation group drop down to..

A 20 team American League One (Featuring USL League One teams and the top USL League Two teams by reputation), playing a 38 game season. Top three promote to the Championship Conference, 4th and 5th play off for the final promotion spot.

A midweek US League Cup, featuring all 79 teams from the three divisions (30 teams from the lower levels play a preliminary round, and the 15 winners join the 49 other teams in a 64 team knockout tournament. The championship is played at the Rose Bowl.

This league is currently feature complete, with TV money, prize money (for both game results (wins and draws in the league earn some money, so every game has something riding on it) and league position), and Parachute payments set.

I have run several test runs through the editor and in game, but let me know of any crashes or issues.

Possibly coming in further versions:

tweaking team and league finances so MLS teams don't dominate more than they already do (right now, the lowest MLS teams in my tests have enough finances to just about instantly bounce back up in most all circumstances).

POSSIBLY adding an USA League Two. (this is iffy, because I'm not 100% sure how to add in all the amateur teams divisions, and rebalancing everything would be a stone cold bitch to do). I also may fold in the teams from Canada's structure into the American Premier League (possibly renaming the APL the North American Premier League)

Recommendation: Tick "Add players to playable teams", because a lot of the non-MLS teams do not have a full roster (which is another reason to look at rebalancing), and add staff to playable teams.

Link: APL 0.75

I will definitely try this at some point. I have to bring 1860 München back to glory first though.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:40 AM   #55
miami_fan
Coordinator

I just noticed that FM23 Touch that I downloaded via Apple Arcade has updated to FM24.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:54 AM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And after a few more sessions with 24 on console, it's almost ... reassuring ... to discover that I'm still not all that good with this game/series lol
Old 11-09-2023, 08:13 PM   #57
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Maybe it's just me, but I always seem to be successful in my first season, and then it's like the game AI has figured out everything that I could possibly do, and I suck after that.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote