Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Charlie Manuel: Firing Pool

Okay, how much longer. I call May 10. The Phils will be returning home for a 9 game homestand, most likely with a record at or near 10-26.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

What last longer Charlie Manual or Alberto Gonzalez?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
miami_fan
Coordinator

July 30
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

June 1.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hopefully May 1st
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
Philliesfan980
Banned

I say they fire him and Gillick. The guy has done nothing to improve the bullpen, or really the team in general since his hiring.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
The guy has done nothing to improve the bullpen

Yes he has. You moved Myers there...

You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Yes he has. You moved Myers there...

And goddamn, that's like one of the dumbest decisions I've EVER seen a team do. It'd be one thing if they decided to move Myers to closer, and let Gordon pitch the 8th. But apparently they don't want to hurt Tom's feelings or something. I mean, Myers is an 8 million dollar MR, that just blows my mind.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
condors
College Starter

I don't think the Phillies are going to hire an established manager they interviewed Jim Leyan(sp) old crusty guy from the Pirates and others, and decieded that Charlie was the better baseball mind. When it was about dollars and cents and not looking bad to the public. They may fire Charlie but they will probally promote a guy from within instead of hiring someone who may actually effect a baseball game in a positive way. The only hope they have is hiring an unkown and hope they get lucky.

Has any team moved its opening day starting to midle relief less than 3 weeks into the season ? Charlie compared Myers to Eckersly and Smoltz funny thing is he hasn't won any cy young awards and has never been a pitcher that has come out of the bullpen before(at least for any signifigant period of time unless i am having a senior moment)
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:29 PM   #10
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Hey, here's a question or questions.

1. When will the Phillie bats get going?

2. When will Charlie stop going with Gordon as the closer?
(seems like there is always drama when he pitches)

3. When will Gillick add bench depth?
(Dobbs? Werth? Bourne? Who are these guys? They are all crap.)

4. When will Gillick add 3b, rf, c, lf (that's half a line-up) that can all produce?
Helms, no,
Victorino, not quite,
Ruiz/ Barajas, um, no,
Burrell, come on now, only when he sees the ball, maybe.

Practically, the whole team is ***.

The supposed stars of the team, Rollins, Utley, Howard, Rowand only hit when the stars are aligned.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post

4. When will Gillick add 3b, rf, c, lf (that's half a line-up) that can all produce?
Helms, no,
Victorino, not quite,
Ruiz/ Barajas, um, no,

The supposed stars of the team, Rollins, Utley, Howard, Rowand only hit when the stars are aligned.

1. They will hit eventually.
2. Not soon enough.
3. There isn't that much to trade to add depth. He has a spare starter that might buy him a bat and a middle reliever, but he needs the reliever the most
4. There's nothing wrong with Burrell. He's not their problem. He's overpaid but it's not Gillick's fault. Victorino is not a traditional corner outfield bat but they have bigger problems than him too. He gets on base, fields well, can run. Moving him to center an using Rowand as a trade asset is an option but I don't think teams will line up around the block to get Rowand. Helms stinks. Ruiz/Barajas stink. In the long run though, they will score enough runs. I don't think they have the luxury of going after offense when they severely lack in the pen.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:52 PM   #12
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adubroff View Post
1. They will hit eventually.
2. Not soon enough.
3. There isn't that much to trade to add depth. He has a spare starter that might buy him a bat and a middle reliever, but he needs the reliever the most
4. There's nothing wrong with Burrell. He's not their problem. He's overpaid but it's not Gillick's fault. Victorino is not a traditional corner outfield bat but they have bigger problems than him too. He gets on base, fields well, can run. Moving him to center an using Rowand as a trade asset is an option but I don't think teams will line up around the block to get Rowand. Helms stinks. Ruiz/Barajas stink. In the long run though, they will score enough runs. I don't think they have the luxury of going after offense when they severely lack in the pen.

1. It's like they forgot how to hit. Swinging at awful pitches, but let the good ones go by.

2.Let Myers close for a bit, only good for short stints anyway. Gordon has to go.

3. Drop Gordon, bring in a couple lefty relievers. 3b, lf, rf, c will have to wait until next season.

4. Quit making stupid decisions Charlie, when going to the bullpen.

(ex: Last night game against the Reds, leave Lieber in, he was doing good, except for 1 pickoff attempt. Reds batters were clueless. Geary is overworked, Smith is downright terrible. Myers was the best best option to close the game, Gordon was not).
Old 09-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #13
miami_fan
Coordinator

Update

I am changing my vote

October 1st.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I think I need to start and alcohol habit if I want to continue to watch this team. One freaking week ago I was feeling great about the team and then they go 2-4 on thie road trip and I get to watch their bullpen continue to get shelled.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 PM   #15
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
What last longer Charlie Manual or Alberto Gonzalez?

Who knew?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:07 PM   #16
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I think I need to start and alcohol habit if I want to continue to watch this team. One freaking week ago I was feeling great about the team and then they go 2-4 on thie road trip and I get to watch their bullpen continue to get shelled.

ditto.

...and listening to Charlie Manuel at pre/postgame interviews is extremely painful. Don't know if it's true, but he certainly comes off sounding like an idiot.

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 09-05-2007 at 07:08 PM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #17
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:

It's fun to be a Phillies fan!

Can we pay Gordon to not pitch for us?
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #18
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
It's fun to be a Phillies fan!

We already are paying him to help other teams.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #19
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post

Or Mesa, or Alfonseca...
Old 09-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

fuck jose mesa.

Man, i see the team has basically decided to stop caring right now, so I'm just about ready to stop caring about baseball the rest of this year.

Go Yankees!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:36 AM   #21
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Imagine my surprise this morning when I read in this article that Charlie Manuel deserves to be Manager of the Year : http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...=tsn&type=lgns
Old 09-06-2007, 08:54 AM   #22
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Imagine my surprise this morning when I read in this article that Charlie Manuel deserves to be Manager of the Year : http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...=tsn&type=lgns

I would even give Manny Acta the award over him just within the NL East. Wow.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #23
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Helms, no,
Victorino, not quite,
Ruiz/ Barajas, um, no,

Seems as though the Phillie pitching is the glaring weak spot.
This'll need to get addressed in the offseason.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #24
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Seems as though the Phillie pitching is the glaring weak spot.
This'll need to get addressed in the offseason.

Just be glad you're not an O's fan.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Just be glad you're not an O's fan.

Try being a Royals fan the past few years. You grab onto Jose Rosado as a great prospect and All Star before he blows out his arm, lean on Jeff Suppan's steady ERA that's always around 5, get excited about Paul Byrd almost winning 20 on an awful team then badmouth the fans and leave town, endure prospect after prospect and first round pick after first round pick bomb mostly to lack of skill but also to injury, and then watch BP proclaim "we have seen the future of pitching, and his name is Zack Greinke" only to watch said space cadet go AWOL and just now get back to pitching effectively.

It's starting to feel like things are turning around this season but who knows what next year brings

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-06-2007 at 07:52 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #26
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Try being a Royals fan the past few years. You grab onto Jose Rosado as a great prospect and All Star before he blows out his arm, lean on Jeff Suppan's steady ERA that's always around 5, get excited about Paul Byrd almost winning 20 on an awful team then badmouth the fans and leave town, endure prospect after prospect and first round pick after first round pick bomb mostly to lack of skill but also to injury, and then watch BP proclaim "we have seen the future of pitching, and his name is Zack Greinke" only to watch said space cadet go AWOL and just now get back to pitching effectively.

It's starting to feel like things are turning around this season but who knows what next year brings

SI

I don't know the O's history well, I just know that their bullpen this year is horrendous.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #27
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Tampa Bay's is worse .
Old 09-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #28
miami_fan
Coordinator

So when do we start the Willie Randolph firing pool?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:16 PM   #29
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ummm.....good job Charlie?
Old 09-29-2007, 01:57 AM   #30
andy m
High School Varsity

don't get ahead of yourself. there is still time to blow this!
Old 09-29-2007, 06:14 AM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy m View Post
don't get ahead of yourself. there is still time to blow this!

I know, that's the sad part. Hamels showed a ton of balls last night, I love that guy.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:54 AM   #32
miami_fan
Coordinator

Aww come on. Either the Mets fans or the Phillie fans can be doom and gloom. Not both of ya!

This race facinates me for so many reasons that have little to do with on the field. I listen to a lot of NY sports talk at work and to hear some Mets fans go from almost blowing off the regular season and the National League to take their rightful spot in the World Series to wishing that the team lose every game so Willie Randolph can be fired because he is does not throw bats on the field or rip players publicly has been hilarious.

On the other side, I work with a die hard Philly sports fan who actually had Charlie Manual's face on a dartboard in his office which he threw at religiously up until.......two weeks ago. He hated Jimmy Rollins for opening his mouth at the beginning of the season. Now the dart board has disappeared and J-Ro should be the MVP.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #33
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Hamels showed a ton of balls last night, I love that guy.

A ton of strikes....

Not sure what to say about your "man crush" though, hopefully those two parts of the sentence are not related.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #34
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

old thread
back from the dead
Old 10-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #35
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:

Helms, no,
Victorino, not quite,
Ruiz/ Barajas, um, no,

lol

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 10-30-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #36
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

To all of you: Here's your sign.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #37
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I have been waiting for this bump for a month.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

haha
good find
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:38 PM   #39
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I actually contemplated bumping this and the "why do the phillies suck so bad" thread too.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:46 PM   #40
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I put the cursor over this thread title and saw stevew's prediction, and I thought he had made this thread today. I was pretty confused until I clicked it and saw the date.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:02 AM   #41
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I put the cursor over this thread title and saw stevew's prediction, and I thought he had made this thread today. I was pretty confused until I clicked it and saw the date.

We're tough fans. Sure he won the WS on the 29th but he didn't do a damn thing on the 30th, time to get rid of him.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:08 AM   #42
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i still stand by my original statement that he is an idiot. but being smart probably isn't a necessary skill for a baseball manager.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:48 AM   #43
Subby
lolzcat

This is why we are all text sim message board enthusiasts and not allowed anywhere near professional sports franchises.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #44
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We're tough fans. Sure he won the WS on the 29th but he didn't do a damn thing on the 30th, time to get rid of him.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:34 PM   #45
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
i still stand by my original statement that he is an idiot. but being smart probably isn't a necessary skill for a baseball manager.

The "Doc Rivers" effect.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #46
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

so who won the pool?

Here were the pool entries:
dr. sak 5/1/2007
stevew 5/10/2007
butter_of_69 6/1/2007
miami_fan 7/30/2007

CONGRATS to MIAMI_FAN - YOU WIN WITH THE CLOSEST GUESS - ONLY ~2200 days off!!

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 08-16-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #47
miami_fan
Coordinator

Well duhhhh...Charlie Manuel did
Old 08-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #48
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

My god. You remembered a 5 year old thread.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #49
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

yeah but if you ask me what year i got married, i'd have to perform some calculus to figure it out.

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 08-16-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #50
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

you can't even remember what year it is!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote