Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2010, 04:45 AM   #101
Radii
Head Coach

-- August 31st, Sept 4th and Sept 11th, we're going to have 3 of our players called up to U21 matches. Lynch and Martin both to the scottish team and Stelios Nikolaou to the Cyprus U21 team.

-- Harry Arter is named to the league's team of the week.

-- The BS Premier match between Woking and Southport originally scheduled for Sept 1st has been moved to Sept 19th due to international callups. The Woking vs Gateshead match scheduled for Sept 11th is moved to Oct 9th. I would rather play with a reserve keeper, but no one asked me. Both rescheduled games will cause me hell. I believe we now have ELEVEN matches in a row on 4 days rest or less, with these two matches slid nicely into holes that were supposed to give us a break.

-- Nick Fenton is injured in training. He'll be out about 2 weeks. He and Mike Williams are both out for now.

-- Stelios Nikolaou starts for Cyprus U21's and plays 47 minutes, picking up a 6.8 rating in a win over Croatia.

September notes

-- Curtis Main plays 3 matches, scores 2 goals and picks up an assist, avg rating of 8.05, good for 3rd for the league's player of the month.

-- Joe O'Sullivan plays 5 matches, earning 4 assists and 2 man of the match awards, avg rating of 7.68, on his way to the Young Player of the Month award in the league!

-- I am 3rd in manager of the month.

-- The board is Satisfied with my coaching job so far this year. Our win over Stevenage is a high point. Our loss to chelmsford is the low point.

Injury Update

On the same day that we get the good news that Mike Williams has resumed full training, Aswad Thomas reports some discomfort in training and tests show he has damaged cartilage in one of his knees. This injury is going to keep him out for 6-7 weeks. Doh!

September 8th, 2012

Woking (3-1-1, 10th) @ Darlington (0-2-4, 22nd)

We've played one less match, and we're only e points out of 3rd. We are pick'em favorites on the road today. Our keepers are not back and available for the match today. Also, AMR McLaggon is off with the Welsh U21 team, I missed the notice about that one. :P

In our history we are 1-2-2 against Darlington. Last year we tied at home and won on the road.

Our lineup with injuries and U21 matches having an impact:

GK: Matt Pegler (reserve GK)
DEF: Miquel/Fenton/Williams/Ricketts
MC: O'Sullivan/Pulis
AM: Bennett/Ademola
ST: Harsanyi/Subotic

17': Pegler makes his first save, a nice diving stop of a clear cut chance. Darlington is dominating play so far, 4 shots, and every break for a highlight shows them charging into our end.

28': They have 8 shots, we have zero.

34': Darlington earns their second clear cut chance on a through ball, its taken really poorly and Pegler stops it.

43': midfielder yeoman finally breaks through for Darlington, he cuts into the middle and is unmarked as we are defending their strikers up front, easy shot. 0-1

45': Bennett cross, Subotic header, its saved and put behind for a corner... our first shot of the match.

46': Ademola runs up the right side, crosses hard into the box, Harsanyi runs on to it and directs it into the net! 1-1

HALF: Thrilled to have this thing 1-1. Their average rating is 6.74, ours 6.39. They have 11 shots, 5 on target, and 3 clear cut chances. We have 2 shots total.

47': O'Sullivan to Harsanyi in the left side of the area... its not taken well though, listed a clear cut chance and Harsanyi really didn't put it close to the net.

56': I change to a control strategy. they are just turtling and trying to counter from what I can tell when we have the ball.

65': O'Sullivan with a yellow

72': Defender Hewitson a yellow for Darlington

81': Anane in for Ademola, Sloma in for Bennett, Main in for Subotic. I switch to a standard 4-4-2 to support those subs.

86': Miquel is hurt, he can stay in but his fitness is under 50%, we'll see after the match...

Darlington 1 : 1 Woking

I'll take a tie on the road there, that was a scary match to watch, and Pegler did wonderful in goal. They ended up with 14 shots, 6 on target, 3 clear cut chances. We had 5 shots, 3 on target, 1 clear cut chance.

Zoltan Harsanyi earns man of the match with the only goal today and a 7.9 rating.

Ademola has the assist for a 7.1 rating. Ricketts (7.1) and Miquel (7.2) stand out as well.

No long term injury for Miquel. The fans are disappointed by the draw.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:13 AM   #102
Radii
Head Coach

-- Kevin Lynch starts for the Scottish U21 team, Lewis Martin comes in off the bench for him and together they combine for a shutout in a 1-0 win over Malta.

-- Stelios Nikolaou plays the second half of a 1:1 tie between Cyprus and Ukraine's U21 squads. He plays well and earns a 6.9 rating.

September 15th, 2012

Woking(3-2-1, 13th) @ Gainsborough(0-3-5, 22nd)

We are big favorites today, 4:5 on the road. Our 13th place is based now on playing TWO less matches than all of our opponents. Two wins and we're 2nd.

Today starts our 6 weeks of hell, no more rest for us. No injuries please!

GK: Lynch
DEF: Miquel/Fenton/Williams/Ricketts
MC: O'Sullivan/Arter
AM: Bennett/McLaggon

7': O'Sullivan runs into the left side of the area, lays a beautiful pass to Subotic who strikes a hard shot on his first touch of the ball... its a clear cut chance, but the keeper is there and saves it.

17': Through ball and goal for Gainsborough's Davidson... except he was 2 miles offsides, never getting back onsides after a shot and a deflection by the keeper.

23': Throwin near midfield, Subotic plays it foward to Harsanyi who makes a great pass to a running Bennett. Bennett into the area all alone, and he beats the keeper far post! 1-0

40': Midfielder Peel picks up a yellow for a hard tackle on Subotic... Subotic goes down hurt. He can stay on but he's suffering.

42': A monumental error by Kevin Lynch. A high long ball foward by Gainsborough. Lynch runs out of the penalty area for it, but striker Boulding gets to the ball at the same time after a high bounce. Boulding wins it and easily puts it into the net. 1-1

46': Counter attack for us. Subotic at midfield feeds a ball foward, Harsanyi beats the defense to it. its not an easy shot by any stretch, taken from outside of the penalty area, but he strikes it low and hard towards the far post and beats the keeper! 2-1

HALF: We get two great goals, and allow one horrific one. No need to change what we're doing. Main is in for the injured Subotic. We have 5 shots, they have 3.

48': Arter foward to Main. Main beats his man and the defense gets way out of position trying to recover. Main passes to Harsanyi who takes another great shot from outside the area. High and into the left side of the net past the diving keeper! 3-1

55': Gainsborough almost get one back. A mini-breakaway on a counter attack. Williams is trying to harrass the striker but he's clearly behind him. Lynch rushes out and makes a great save.

56': Yellow for Arter.

58': O'Sullivan with a through ball to Harsanyi, he's onsides... barely, his shot hits the left post and goes behidn for a goal kick.

65': O'Sullivan with a pass foward to Harsanyi. Harsanyi beats his defender 30 yards out and has a free run into the area. He takes a shot, its blocked, but not held. Main is the first one to the rebound and he puts it home! 4-1

69': Sloma in for O'Sullivan, we switch from standard to defensive to finish this off.

Gainsborough spend the final 20 minutes taking long shots that miss the mark by 5-10 feet.

Gainsborough 1 : 4 Woking

Harsanyi is clearly man of the match today, he had a hand in all four goals, 2 goals/2 assists, 9.3 rating.

Curtis Main has a goal and an assist in the second half, 7.6 rating. Bennett with a goal (7.9), and Subotic with an assist (6.8).

O'Sullivan is his usual great self again today, 7.7. The defense is awesome too... Lynch (7.1), Ricketts(7.2), Miquel(7.1) and Fenton(7.1) are all outstanding.

Injury Update

Danijel Subotic twists an ankle and is hurt pretty badly. 6-7 weeks for him.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:36 AM   #103
Radii
Head Coach

--O'Sullivan and Harsanyi are both named in the league team of the week.

September 19th, 2012

Southport (1-0-7, 22nd) @ Woking (4-2-1, 8th)

We are massive 1:3 favorites today. Southport at 7:1 is about as low as I've seen for a league match. We are 1-1-0 against Southport, both matches last year.

today's lineup:

DEF: Nikolaou/Fenton/Williams/Ricketts
ST: Harsanyi/Sole

20': One shot for each team so far... not much going on.

31': We control possession seemingly forever, working the ball around looking for an opening. Finally, Nikolaou hits Bennett who immediately plays a ball between two defenders into the area for Harsanyi. Harsanyi strikes it quickly near post and beats the keeper! 1-0

43': Sole draws a defender and leaves a pass for Harsanyi in the hole that was opened... Harsanyi with a strong shot but its saved.

HALF: We have 6 shots, 3 on target. They have 2 shots, both off target, badly. 58% possession, we are fully in control here. Another goal ot make it safe would be nice though.

52': Ricketts goes down with an injury. He can play but Im taking him out ASAP.

56': Anane in for Ricketts.

65': Harsanyi plays a ball forward to Sole, he feeds a cutting Ademola going into the box. Ademola with the shot and he puts it in! 2-0

68': Lynch with a goal kick... the defense isn't tracking back properly and there's a hole behind a DC, Sole runs on to the ball, takes a step or two into the area, and puts it in! 3-0

68': Cousins in for Sole. Herd in for O'Sullivan.

91': Fenton goes down fighting for a header near midfield. totally needless. we'll see about injuries after the match.

Woking 3 : 0 Southport

Sole has a goal and an assist, plays great and earns man of the amtch and an 8.5 rating. Harsanyi with yet another goal, 7.5 rating. Ademola has a goal and an 8.1 rating. Other asists to Lynch (7.6, lolz), and Bennett (7.0).

Nikolaou (7.7), Fenton(7.3), Williams (7.3) and O'Sullivan(7.3) stood out as well. Now lets just hope my defense isn't decimated.

Injury Update

Mark Ricketts will miss 2-3 weeks. Ricky Anane is a solid backup, we're still ok, though we really cannot afford to lose anything more in the back line.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:59 AM   #104
Radii
Head Coach

September 22nd, 2012

Woking (5-2-1, 3rd) @ Newport Co (4-3-2, 7th)

Newport are favored by a slim margin today at home. We're 2-2-2 against Newport over the last 3 seasons, last year losing at their place and tying at home.

Two players lead the league early on with 9 goals. One is Zoltan Harsanyi. The other is Newport's Luke Powell.

Today's Lineup with 5 changes:

DEF: Miquel/Williams/Fenton/Anane
ST: Harsanyi/Main

9': They have 5 shots, two on target. The attack is coming hard against us today.

16': Our first shot is a long one from Pulis that is no threat at all. It is on target, but it is right at their keeper.

33': Our second shot is wide, also a long shot from Main, but its much more dangerous, just wide and the keeper had no shot at it.

HALF: after a crazy early flurry its pretty boring. Newport have 11 shots but 5 are long and only 2 on target, both in the first 9 minutes. We've taken those two long shots and that is it.

47': I take a risk and go to standard mindset again. I often wonder if our best defense isn't our offense in situations like this.

55': a long shot by Newport is saved nicely by Lynch. A second shot by Powell is saved from close range... but Powell was offsides.

57': Not this time... Powell receives a pass in the area and strikes it cleanly by Lynch. 0-1

62': I was in the tactics screen, I dunno what happened, but we conceded a penalty. 0-2

62': Pulis and Main out, Herd and Sole in. Main played terribly.

64': Lynch with a great save as Powell came free in the area yet again.

65': Things fall apart. A header from Powell into the area, their other striker heads it over Lynch and in. 0-3

72': And now its 4. We stopped trying to attack and come back by the way. Floodgates... 0-4

76': Herd with a pass forward to Harsanyi, Harsanyi with a strike from 20 yards out. Its into the left side of the net. It won't matter for this one but he keeps up with Powell, who I'm pretty sure only has one of these 4 goals. 1-4

80': Miquel moves to DC. Sloma in for Fenton and in at DL.

Newport Co 4 : 1 Woking

When you concede 4 goals the ratings won't be kind.

O'Sullivan earns a 6.8, Herd a 6.9, Harsanyi 6.6. Those are the bright spots.

Most of the rest of the team is between 5.5 and 6.2. There are no complete disasters, just a sign of a team that got owned all over the place today.

Our fans are "devastated" by today's result, ick.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #105
Radii
Head Coach

September 25th, 2012

Kettering (3-3-4, 17th) @ Woking(5-2-2, 7th)

Kettering have finished 7th the last two years in a row in the BS Premier league. We are 2-0-2 against them, the home team has won every match with relative ease. Today we are 4-5 favorites to keep that home streak alive.

We are tired everywhere. This month is going to be terrible. Today's lineup:

DEF: Miquel/Williams/Fenton/Nikolaou
MC: Pulis/Arter
AM: Sloma/McLaggon

Main, McLaggon and Miquel are of note here as being the most tired going into the match. O'Sullivan isn't even available today, I am giving him a full day off.

5': After a throwin, main lays a pass to McLaggon who is open at the edge of the area... he doesn't shoot straight away, instead running to the right side of the area and taking a poor shot.

6': Pulis forward to Main, Main into the area, passes to Harsanyi who runs on to the ball and puts it in the left side of the net! 1-0

17': Arter with a yellow on a foul inches outside the box, very very close to a penalty.

21': After a deep throwin is cleared out, Nikolaou plays a beautiful ball into the area for McLaggon... he has our second clear cut chance of the match and fires it right at the keeper. Two great moves for McLaggon to get free in space, two awful plays.

27': Long ball from behind the midfield line from Harsanyi on a counter, main runs on to it and has a good look, but their keeper makes a solid save.

28': Arter with a through ball to Harsanyi in the area, our 3rd clear cut chance, this one saved as well. Harsanyi ended up 3 or 4 feet closer to the keeper than it seems like he would have liked to get a good angle on his shot.

Things slow down after a breakneck pace for the first 25 minutes...

HALF: We lead, but have to feel like it should be by more. We've put 5 shots on target (out of 8 total) and have had 3 clear cut chances. Two or three different times a perfect ball played into the area was just not finished properly. We only allow 4 shots, all off target. No changes yet.

58': After a battle in their end for Possession, Nikolaou plays a long ball forward. Their keeper comes way out to get it, Main is charging for it too... the keeper gets there first but can't clear, the ball ricochet's off of Main and falls about 10 feet away. Main gets to it and hoofs it from a weird 30 degree angle on the right side of the field just out of the penalty area. The ball hits the left post and bounces in. 2-0

71': Ademola in for McLaggon, Anane in for Miquel (Nikolaou moves to the left side), Herd in for Main. I switch to a 4-1-2-2-1 formation, moving Arter to DM and leaving Harsanyi alone up top.

Woking 2 : 0 Kettering

We manage 20 shots today, 9 on target, 5 clear cut chances. Kettering only takes 5 shots (just 1 in the 2nd half!) and doesn't threaten Lynch a single time.

Curtis Main has a goal and an assist today, earning man of the match with an 8.5 rating.

Harsanyi has our other goal, 7.4 rating. Other notables: Nikolaou (7.7), Miquel (7.4), Fenton (7.1), Williams (7.2), Pulis (7.0).

Apparently the opposition felt that Harsanyi's 6th minute goal should have not counted, that Harsanyi was offsides. One of their midfielders comments after the game that it should not have counted, and Kettering's manager was outraged and criticized the call after the match.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #106
Radii
Head Coach

September 29th, 2012

Alfreton (6-0-5, 9th) @ Woking (6-2-2, 6th)

Alfreton won promotion up to the BS Premier last year. This will be our first ever meeting. We're 4-5 favorites at home. An interesting news story, "Kingfield Stadium return for Wright". Matthew Wright was the first loaner I ever brought in as manager of Woking. He played 42 matches and scored 8 goals with 6 assists in my first season. Sole was the star of that team but Wright was a key part of it. He was released by the Crystal Palace, tried to get it going with Accrington but was released there too, and has now settled in with Alfreton. Not much of a success story for him I suppose, but its one of the first guys i felt an attachment to that I've had to face.

Today's lineup:

ST: Harsanyi/Cousins

Anson Cousins gets his second start today, hopefully he does a little better.

22': We dominate early but don't get our first good look til now. O'Sullivan runs with the ball laterally just outside the area, slips a pass to Harsanyi after drawing a defender, Harsanyi strikes it hard and true! 1-0

25': McLaggon controls the ball deep in the right corner. He makes a move to fit a cross in. Cousins runs on to it and just barely changes the angle with his head, directing it into the net!! I'm thrilled to see Cousins get his first goal. 2-0

37': A long pass triggers a counter, Anane fires a ball to midfield, Harsanyi controls it well, the last defender misses a tackle and Harsanyi is off to the races. No one can catch up to him and he takes it all the way into the box and beats the keeper one on one. 3-0

HALF: Great half!! We get a youngster a goal and Harsanyi 2 goals in a half, dominance.

47': We concede a corner early, they take it short and defender Brown fires a nice shot into the net. Terrible defense. 3-1

51': After a through ball gives them a clear cut strike, Mike Williams comes in to try to make a saving tackle... and instead a penalty is given. They aren't missing this... 3-2

72': They play a ball to midfielder Ashton in the left side of the area. He's defended decently by Anane, but manages to get a shot off. Lynch is there but can't fully make the save, he slows the ball down, doesn't sotp it, and it rolls into the net. 3-3

72': Herd in for Pulis, Sole for Cousins. Not because either deserve to come out, but to make some kind of a change to try to right this.

78': They fire a long ball downfield. Lynch comes out of the area, it takes a high bounce and he has to head it instead of booting it downfield. An attacker is first to the ball and tries a strike from 35 yards out but he cannot guide it into the net. Lucky break there.

79': Harsanyi with a little room in the middle, he takes it wide to McLaggon, there's a cross, Bennett gets his head to it far post, but the keeper is there.

81': Harsanyi with a rocket bending towards the net from 25 yards out, but just wide.

81': Ademola in for McLaggon who is exhausted.

89': A long pass from Herd to Sole, Sole with a great first touch but his shot is saved. Tehre's a corner, then a second corner, then a throwin deep in their area... and nothing.

Woking 3 : 3 Alftreton

I give the "embarrassing" pep talk... a truly embarrassing result to give up a 3 goal lead at the half.

Harsanyi is man of the match with 2 goals and an 8.8 rating. Cousins goal gives him a 6.8 rating. Assists from Anane (7.0), O'Sullivan(6.8) and McLaggon(7.5).

Other noteworthy ratings... Bennett put up a 7.0, Fenton a 5.9.

Since i'd made mention of him pre-match, Matthew Wright was ready to play today, earning a 7.2 rating an an assist. No goals though.

Injury Update

Chris Herd was injured literally seconds before full time today, and he's got a pulled hamstring that is going to sideline him for 4 weeks.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #107
Radii
Head Coach

October Notes

-- The important dates thing is longer than I've ever seen. A couple England World Cup qualifying matches are listed, but those don't effect me. FA Cup gets going for our level, and we've got 6 matches scheduled between oct 1 and Oct 20.

-- Main and Harsanyi are the strikers on the BS Premier team of the week.

-- Harsanyi is 2nd in player of the month this month behind York striker George Donnelly.

-- Stelios Nikolaou is 3rd for Young Player of the Month this month. He didn't play much but played well when we asked him to.

-- The board is pleased with my handling of the team so far. The Newport 1-4 loss is a weak spot.

October 2nd, 2012

Woking (6-3-2, 5th) @ St. Albans(3-6-3, 17th)

We are favored, 5:4 odds today on the road. St albans are considered relegation candidates. They were just promoted up from the BS South. We played them twice in my initial season, winning once, tying once.

Today's lineup:

DEF: Nikolaou, Williams, Fenton, Anane
MC: O'Sullivan, Arter
AM: Bennett, Ademola
ST: Harsanyi, Main

13': We start with the ball but can't get a shot off, they counter hard, attacker Clark gets into the box and takes a shot, Lynch with a great save, forcing a corner. nothing doing on the corner.

16': williams with a foul a yard outside the area. They shoot off the free kick, Lynch with a diving save.

25': Ademola and Main with a give and go to get Ademola deep down the right sideline. A cross comes in, Harsanyi is waiting on it, header, GOAL! 1-0. I waited until the replay to type up the goal, I was so sure he was offsides.

27': Another shot in the box for St Albans, Lynch makes his 4th save of the match.

38': A throwin for us deep in their end, Bennett a cross, Main gets his head to it, great save from the keeper.

40': Mike williams collides with an offensive player from St Albans. He's down to 50% and comes off briefly.

46': give and go for st albans between their two strikers, Johnson forward to Clarke, he beats Lynch. We just gave up too damn many shots this half. 1-1

HALF: They were the better team this half, it would have been great to take a lead in but nope. They have 7 shots, 5 on target. We have 6 shots, 1 on target... possession, passing are even.

Miquel in for Williams to play DC. williams isn't looking so hot.

50': O'Sullivan with a through ball for Harsanyi in traffic. He gets there but his shot is saved, corner comes to nothing.

58': O'Sullivan gets the ball 25 yards out, he dribbles through their defense, beating 3 players, looking for the pass i'm sure, but eventually ends up with our first clear cut chance in front of the keeper... shot is saved.

68': Main out, Cousins in.

73': Ademola out, mcLaggon in.

78': McLaggon with a cross that Bennett gets his head to, just over the bar. Bennett has missed 3 headers off of crosses today. Not easy shots I know.

87': McLaggon with a nice cross into the 6 yard box, they head it behind. Corner is cut out. We control possession after the clear though, and build up a little. Bennet with a give and go to Arter, Bennett gets the ball back in the penalty area and fires a shot low by the keeper!!! 2-1

St. Albans 1 : 2 Woking

We domiante the second half. They do manage a number of shots, but only 5 on target for the match, not a single one in the 2nd half.

Bennett earns man of the match honors with his goal, 7.8 rating. Harsanyi with the other goal, 6.9 rating there. Assists from Ademola (7.3) and Arter (7.7).

Elsewhere, Anane (7.2) and O'Sullivan (7.3) play well today too.

Good win today.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:43 PM   #108
Radii
Head Coach

I'm worried about jinxing a streak, kinda like referencing a no hitter while its going on. But I will say that we have played 12 league matches, and if you went back and re-read the game reports for all 12 matches, looking for the game where Zoltan Harsanyi did not score a goal, you would likely be unable to find such a report.

We're about 1/4 through the season, a brief look at the standings:

1. Crawley - 28 pts
2. Cambridge - 28 pts
3. Forest Green - 25 pts
***4. Woking - 24 pts
***5. Gateshead - 23 pts
-----------
6. York - 22 pts
7. Chelmsford - 22 pts
8. Alfreton - 22 pts
9. Ebbsfleet - 22 pts
10. Newport co - 21 pts
11. Accrington - 21 pts

*** Woking and Gateshead in 4th/5th have played one less match than everyone else in the top 8 places.

And to emphasize and further tempt streaky fate...

top goalscorers

1. Zoltan Harsanyi - Woking - 14
2. Luke Powell - Newport - 11
3. Wes Fletcher - Accrington - 9
4. Richard Brodie - York - 9
5. Many Tied - 8
Old 07-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #109
Radii
Head Coach

October 6th, 2012

Torquay (4-6-3, 13th) @ Woking(7-3-2, 5th)

We're very slight favorites. Torquay were demoted from League 2 last year and are fighting to make it back up. not well so far. we've never played them before.

Today's lineup:

DEF: Miquel/Williams/Ricketts/Anane

Ricketts is back to full training now, obviously. Fenton has done very poorly lately and I want to sit him.

7': O'Sullivan wins a ball in midfield, takes a step by his man, feeds Harsanyi. They close down Harsanyi, he puts a through ball into the open space, Sole runs on to it and puts it home! 1-0

7': I switch to a Counter attacking strategy for now.

12': short corner to Williams, he turns, his man misses a tackle, he fires a shot, the defender at the right post deflects it away...

28': Sole picks up a bit of a knock, he isn't beat up badly it seems though.

36': Harsanyi controls the ball in the left side of the area. The defense closes on him, he feeds Sloma as he runs into the box, sloma with a shot... but saved nicely.

38': O'Sullivan up to Sole, Sole with a move into the area, clear cut strike, diving save by the keeper to put it behind. Corner comes to nothing.

HALF: 3 clear cut chances and just 1 goal, other than that we're real happy here. We've taken 8 shots, 7 on target. Torquay has 5 shots but none on target. We need to get a second goal.

50': We concede a corner. Its taken well, and headed in by one of their strikers. 1-1

58': Sole is breakig forward to receive a pass from O'Sullivan, no one is in front of him. Sole is dragged down behind by defender Collidge, and that's a RED CARD. Torquay down to 10 men.

60': Sloma with a cross into the box. Its deflected away, Sloma hustles to get to it, lays a pass to Sole, who turns and takes a great shot that beats the keeper! 2-1

65': A near breakaway for torquay, they work the ball ahead and generate a good shot from the right side of teh area. Lynch makes a good save.

68': Bennett in for a tired Sloma.

70': Awful, awful defending. We'd switched to a defensive mindset, but somehow we leave a giant hold in the middle of their attack. There's a through ball played from a good 30 yards out and a great finish to tie it up. 2-2

77': Ademola in for a tired McLaggon.

78': Back into a more aggressive mindset.

93': Anane with a cross in to Ademola, his header goes over, and that's the last chance.

Woking 2 : 2 Torquay

With a lead and with them down to 10 men, its completely unacceptable to end with a draw. Very frustrating. they get man of the match today.

Sole has both our goals and an 8.8 rating. Assists from Harsanyi (7.3) and Sloma (6.8). No one else over 7.

I take the blame for not getting a win here. I made a reference to the fact that Zoltan Harsanyi had scored in 12 straight matches in my last post. He doesn't score today, and a goal from him gives us a 3-2 win. Totally on me.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #110
Radii
Head Coach

--Kevin Lynch is called up for U21 matches that will take place on the 12th and 16th. Just him for now.

--Sole is named in the league's team of the week.

October 9th, 2012

Gateshead(6-5-2, 9th) @ Woking(7-4-2, 5th)

We are even money favorites today. We've never lost to Gateshead, 2-2-0 in 4 matches. We win at home, tie on the road. this is a re-scheduled game from earlier in the year, its just us today. We'll be back even in matches played after this. win and we're in 3rd. Lose and we'll fall out of 5th due to goal differential.

Today's lineup:

DEF: Nikolaou/Williams/Fenton/Ricketts

We come out attacking today.

8': Fenton with a yellow, a hard tackle in midfield. I'm ok with that one, it was on a counter after we gave up possession.

11': After a corner for gateshead, the ball is headed around the 6 yard box and seems to stay there forever, before finally being put in the net by one of their midfielders. 0-1. ricketts misjudging a header is the cause of this one.

17': Harsanyi is tackled in the box! Penalty! Mike Williams steps up to take it, and buries it. 1-1

23': A great pass from o'Sullivan to McLaggon leads to a point blank chance... that's put off the bar.

28': Ricketts with a foul just outside the penalty area, he's given a yellow. They miss the free kick.

37': Bennett goes down in the box, a foul is called.... diving by Bennett, he picks up a yellow for it.

39': corner for us. Arter fires a cross to the far end of the 6 yard box, Main gets up and gets his head to it, and puts it into the net! 2-1

HALF: We take a lead into the locker room. Ricketts and Fenton are just playing awful. Ricketts is tired too, or will be soon enough. I am pulling him now. Nikolaou DR, Miquel in for Ricketts and at DL.

48': Defender Obeng with a yellow for a hard tackle on Bennett.

53': Midfielder Gate with a yellow for a tackle on O'Sullivan.

64': Mike Williams a yellow for a tackle in midfield.

72': Cousins in for a complacent Harsanyi. Pulis in for a tired O'Sullivan.

85': defender Curtis with a yellow for a tackle on Cousins.

91': Some quick passing, Arter to Main to cousins back to Main, Main fires a quick strike from 20 yards out and it catches the keeper by surprise, into the net! 3-1

Woking 3 : 1 Gateshead

A solid win. The second half was mostly about yellows and chippy tackles, but we did a good job not allowing Gateshead any sort of attack at all.

Main is man of the match with 2 goals and an 8.8 rating. Our other goal is the PK by Williams (6.9). Assists from Cousins (6.9), Harsanyi (6.8) and Arter (7.8).

Bennett played great on the left side and earned a 7.9 rating as well. Nikolaou 7.2 in the back. With that win we are now in 3rd place in the league, evened back up with eveyrone else as far as matches played.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #111
Radii
Head Coach

-- Stelios Nikolaou is called up for an Oct 16th match for the Cyprus U21's.

October 13th, 2012

Woking(8-4-2, 3rd) @ Rushden(3-7-4, 17th)

Rushden was in the playoffs last year and have fallen apart it would appear. We're very very slight road favorites. We're 1-1-2 in our history against Rushden. Last year we won at home and lost on the road.

Rushden has the BS Premier player of the year from last season. Sam Smith scored 34 goals in 40 matches last season. This year he's been hurt a bit and has only played 6 matches. 3 goals/2 assists/7.37 rating. He'll be a threat today.

Lynch and McLaggon are out for international duty today.

GK: Martin
DEF: Nikolaou, Williams, Fenton, Ricketts
MC: O'Sullivan, Pulis
AM: Bennett, Ademola
ST: Harsanyi, Main

5': We steal the ball, Main with a ball to Harsanyi, he has a free run on the keeper from 40 yards out. He gets into the box... and fires a clear cut chance right into the chest of the keeper.

22': 4 shots from Rushden but all are way out. We've put two on target but easily saved.

30': A nice long ball forward to Sam Smith, he comes into the left side of the area, and puts a clear cut chance into the side netting.

33': O'Sullivan with a yellow for a bad tackle.

44': Defender Hilliard with a yellow for a tackle for Rushden.

HALF: Scoreless, each team's best scorer blew one very easy chance. They've taken 8 shots, all off target. We've taken 6, 2 on target. We're dominating possession, 59/41 in our favor.

56': Joe O'Sullivan runs with the ball in the penalty area, he's tackled and goes down. The whistle blows, and O'Sullivan is called for a dive. He's already got a yellow, this is his second yellow, RED CARD. He's sent off.

56': Arter in for Harsanyi, I switch to a 4-4-1, Bennett/Arter/Pulis/Ademola, Main up top.

60': Sam Smith gets a yellow for a foul in our area on a corner.

68': A corner for Rushden, they get it to Smith who gets the ball to his feet and puts it in. 0-1

84': Anane in for Ademola, Sole in for Main. we'll try to attack at the end.

92': Pretty much what you'd expect, but I couldn't just sit back and take the loss. They generate a nice look for ST Hughes-Mason after a through ball and score. 0-2

Rushden 2 : 0 Woking

O'Sullivan with the only 7.0 rating today. His red card cost us the game though. O'Sullivan is getting a reputation as more than a little bit of a diver.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:36 AM   #112
Radii
Head Coach

I give O'Sullivan a warning, and he's suspended for a match for his red.

-- Oct 16th's Woking vs Barrow match is rescheduled for Oct 24th due to international callups. A BREAK OMGOMGOMG.

This reschedule means we have no matches between Oct 13th and Oct 20th. A full week to rest!

-- Curtis Main is named in the BS Premier team of the week.

FA Cup 4th Round Qualifying Draw

We're going to be on the road but against a division level team named the "Walton Casuals" ... surely we can beat the Casuals. That match will be on Oct 27th.

Injury Update

Aswad Thomas twists his knee in training and is going to miss 4 weeks. He didn't even get in a game after his last injury.

In good news, Danijel Subotic is back to full training.

October 20th, 2012

Woking(8-4-3, 3rd) @ Maidenhead(3-5-8, 19th)

We've never lost to Maidenhead, we're 3-3-0 against them.

Starting Lineup:

DEF: Miquel/Williams/Fenton/Ricketts

I'm starting Cousins today b/c I expect a win and he might have a hard time getting on the field with Subotic coming back. O'Sullivan is serving his suspension today.

6': Arter takes a great corner that swings in a little towards the net. Mike Williams sees it coming and runs on to it and heads it into the net! 1-0

23': We feed Harsanyi in a good position(not sure who made the pass), and he hits the upright from 15 ayrds out.

24': Arter with a corner, short corner to Williams, williams has two defenders coming at him, but he takes a shot and puts it by the keeper!! 2-0

34': Beautiful goal by Harsanyi. Cousins with a pass but its really ALL Harsanyi. He beats a defender at the 18 yard line, cuts left, and lays a soft ball back the other way past the keeper to the far post. 3-0

36': Pulis to McLaggon, he shoots, his shot is blocked but the ball falls right to Harsanyi. Harsanyi with the strike and easy goal with the keeper out of position. 4-0

HALF: Last time we led 3-0 we gave up 3 second half goals. This time we make it 4-0, we'd best not risk giving this up. Anane in for Ricketts at the half.

56': They get a cross into the box, a header hits the crossbar and comes out. Arter clears it.

80': Ademola in for McLaggon, Sloma in for Pulis.

87': Cousins with a very nice pass from 40 yards out to a charging Bennett. Bennett runs into the box and puts the ball by the keeper! 5-0

Maidenhead 0 : 5 Woking

Dominant from start to finish.

Mike Williams is man of the match, the first defender I've ever seen put up 2 goals. 9.3 rating. 2 goals from Harsanyi, 9.3 rating. Bennett's goal earns him an 8.3. Assists... 2 from Arter, 8.9. 2 from Cousins, 8.3. 1 from Pulis, 8.3.

Miquel (8.1), Fenton(7.7), Ricketts (7.2), McLaggon (7.0) are good too!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #113
Radii
Head Coach

--Millwall in League 1 fires their head coach. According to the press I am the top candidate for the job. First time that's happened. I release a statement to the press indicating I have no interest in leaving Woking.

-- Mike Williams, Harry Arter and Zoltan Harsanyi are named in the league's team of the week.

Oct 24th, 2012

Barrow(7-2-7, 12th) @ Woking(9-4-3, 3rd)

We are 4:6 favorites at home today. We're 2-1-1 against Barrow in our history, winning at home and losing on the road last year.

Harsanyi draws some attention from the opposition, with their coach stating in the Barrow press conference that Harsanyi must be contained if Barrow have any hope of any points.

Harsanyi doesn't like the attention, "Many experts feel that Zoltan Harsanyi plays at his best when not faced by the glare of the media spotlight."

Starting today:

Subotic will likely only play a half, but I wanted him back in.

11': A corner is taken short, cleared, crossed back in... Fenton with a header, off the bar! But they can't clear, Fenton recovers it, passes to Harsanyi, he lays it to Subotic, Subotic shoots, GOAL! 1-0 That ball stayed in their penalty area forever without a clearance.

28': 63/37 possession, 6 shots to 1, we're dominating everything, need a second goal.

30': Right after I type that they get two through balls into the area, Lynch with one great save, a tackle on the second one by Fenton.

39': Nikolaou recovers a ball deep in our own end. A long ball forward, Harsanyi sprints... outruns the defense, a great first touch gets the ball into the area, Harsanyi beats the only defender with a chance to the ball and hits it far post into the net! 2-0

45': WHOA. They commit a foul about 30-32 yards out. Sloma steps up to the free kick, bends it around the wall and it goes into the left side of the net!!!! Amazing strike. 3-0

HALF: Domination. Keep it up.

68': Nothing at all happening this half. Main, Ademola, Pulis in. Subotic, McLaggon, O'Sullivan out.

Boring boring boring.

Woking 3 : 0 Barrow

Nikolaou with an assist and great tackling in the back earns him an 8.7 rating and man of the match. Goals come from Harsanyi (7.9, also an assist), Sloma (7.8) and Subotic (7.2). The other assist is from O'Sullivan(7.8). Other noteworthy ratings: Lynch (7.4), Ricketts (7.6), Fenton(7.4), Williams (7.4).

That was a makeup game from last week. Even once again in matches played, we remain in 3rd, 3 points behind Cambridge, 2 points behind Crawley in the standings.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #114
Radii
Head Coach

October 27th, 2012

FA Cup 4th Round Qualifying

Woking @ Walton Casuals

We are 1:20 favorites today. They are 30:1 underdogs. Win please.

Lineup:

ST: Main/Cousins

Harsanyi has a history of showing up complacent for these kinds of matches, IIRC. He gets a well deserved rest as a result.

26': Boring, boring boring. They're all out defending and we're in control but struggling to break through their defense.

36': Mike Williams picks up a yellow for a hard foul outside the area. Free kick comes to nothing.

HALF: 0-0, we need to wake up and get a goal or four. We have 7 shots, 1 on target. They have 4 shots, 1 on target. Both on target shots were long and not scary at all.

51': O'Sullivan beats a defender and attempts a shot from 20 yards out. Its saved... barely, nice effort.

53': Anane with a yellow going for a header in midfield.

63': O'Sullivan a yellow for a tackle in midfield.

68': Ademola with a cross, Cousins a header on target, right at the keeper. After a throwin, Bennet gets the ball to Main who seems in a great spot, but his shot from 10 yards out is saved.

82': Ademola with a run down the right side, a cross into the area, Main gets his head to it and guides it by the keeper! 1-0

82': I'd already set up these subs in an effort to get a late goal... Harsanyi, Subotic, Arter in. Main/Cousins/O'Sullivan out.

85': Arter with a brilliant move. He takes a pass 30 yards out, runs by one man, splits the back to DC's, and strikes it by the keeper! 2-0

92': After a throwin, Bennett crosses into the area, Subotic gets his head to it and that's in. 3-0

Walton Casuals 0 : 3 Woking

Ademola is man of the match, earning an 8.1 and generating the game winning goal with a great cross. Goals from Main (7.2), Arter (7.4), and Subotic (7.3). Assists from Bennett (7.3) and Pulis (7.1).

Anane (7.5), Miquel(7.7), Fenton (7.2) with noteworthy ratings as well.

DL Ignasi Miquel is hurt late in our FA Cup match. He's out or 3 weeks with a strained neck.

FA Cup 1st Round Draw

We'll be playing at home, but we get a bad draw, facing League 1 mid-table Walsall. We'll play November 10th.

The board expected us to reach the First Round,and we have. Anything else would be gravy.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #115
Radii
Head Coach

November Notes

--Matthew Wright of Alfreton is young player of the month, my former striker, happy for him. Our AML loaner Kieran Bennett was second.

--Cambridge's manager earns manager of the month. I'm second.

-- The board is pleased with my results still. Signing Stelios Nikolaou is a high point. Our 1-4 loss to Newport, now over two months ago, is still the big negative. Get over it guys!

November 3rd, 2012

Cheltenham(3-5-9, 19th) @ Woking(10-4-3, 3rd)

We're 4:5 favorites at home today. Cheltenham were playoff contenders last year(finishing 8th) but are not doing so well this year. We're 2-2-0 against them, winning at home/tying on the road last season.

Cheltenham's Jamie White has 7 goals in 17 matches and is clearly their leading scorer.

Today's lineup:

DEF: Nokolaou/Williams/Fenton/Ricketts

17': Fenton picks up a yellow trying to keep a streaking atacker from passing him on a counter.

25': Each team has one off target shot so far.

28': Williams with a yellow in defense, bleh! A free kick from 25 yards out is taken and goes off the wall.

30': After a throwin, they place a cross nicely tothe far post, Lewes runs on to it and heads it in. Lynch didn't stand a chance. 0-1

38': On a quick counter attack, they get the ball forward to their top scorer, White. He gets into the area and beats Lynch. 0-2

43': Pulis with a free kick from 30 yards out. Its placed beautifully and Subotic gets there and heads it in! 1-2

45': Bennett with a graet run down the sideline, a cross, Subotic heads it just over. So close.

HALF: We play very very poorly in the last 20 minutes of the half, but Subotic getting a goal back gives us life.

45: On the opening kickoff we go straight forward, Harsanyi and Subotic give and go.. .Harsanyi ends up in the area with space and puts the ball low and left by the keeper! 2-2

55': Defender Duff with a yellow, tripping Harsanyi as he tried to run by.

57': Subotic receives the ball outside the area, makes a move past a defender, he gets a shot off but its from a tough angle and is saved.

63': O'Sullivan feeds Subotic, he's got by his man again, fires a shot... McLagon is out of position and blocks the shot by accident.

64': Nikolaou with a yellow.

70': Main in for a tired Subotic.

76': Anane in for a tired Mike Williams. Ricketts moves to DC, Anane DR.

80': O'Sullivan into the box, he goes down hard, but no foul is called presumably due to the fact that he's a diving bastard. He's actually hurt and needs the trainer out.

83': McLaggon with a cross, Bennett with a header... its off the crossbar, urgh!

86': Main gets a little breakaway, gets into the area, but a quick defender gets back in front of him to block his shot.

93': O'Sullivan to Main who is out a little wide, his shot is off target slightly.

Woking 2 : 2 Cheltenham

After falling down 2-0 a draw is pretty good, but we had so many chances to get a winning goal there, its disappointing that we didn't.

We take 13 shots, only put 4 on target though. We dominated possession 59/41. Really shoulda won.

Subotic is man of the match, a goal and an assist and an 8.5 rating. The other assist comes from Pulis, 7.1 rating. Harsanyi with the second goal, just a 6.8 today.

O'Sullivan puts up a 7.3 and is the only other noteworthy rating.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:57 AM   #116
Radii
Head Coach

November 6th, 2012

Woking(10-5-3, 3rd) @ Forest Green(9-6-3, 5th)

Forest Green are very slim favorites today, 6:4 to our 13:8. We're 1-0-1 against them, two seasons ago in the BS Premier when they were relegated. They've earned their way back up and are obviously doing extremely well.

Lots of lineup changes on short rest again today:

DEF: Nikolaou/Williams/Fenton/Anane
AM: Sloma/Ademola

We'll open defensive today.

1': We start with possession but lose it quickly. Two passes and they generate a clear cut strike from 10 yards away, beating Lynch... well then. 0-1

20': We generate our first shot, its a tough one from Harsanyi 18 yards out, its just barely over though.

32': Defender Mike Brown picks up a yellow for a trip on Ademola.

42': We earn 5 corners and keep the ball in their area FOREVEr over the course of two attacks... cannot generate more than a couple shots that are blocked though.

HALF: They take 6 shots, put 3 on target, the one clear cut strike etc. We've got 5 shots, just one long shot on target. I turned the attack up in the final 10 minutes to try to get a tying goal, it didn't work but we dominated play.

52': Curtis Main is hurt going for a header... he could stay in but I dunno if he'll be effective.

54': Anane with a pass from the midfield up to main. Main turns and beats one man, gets into the box and places a beautiful shot into the net!! 1-1 So much for being hurt.

64': O'Sullivan plays a long ball from behind midfield, Main is the first one to get to it and he takes a couple steps, aims, and beats the keeper!! 2-1

64': Sloma and O'Sullivan out, Bennett and Herd in.

80': Some good play by Forest Green, they get into the area and threaten a couple times on corners, some very scary deflections, but we get in to clear every time.

92': Lynch moves out of position on a deep cross, they earn a clear cut chance as an attacker has a free chance to head the ball in, but he puts it over.

Forest Green 1 : 2 Woking

After falling behind 37 seconds in, we do a very nice job of keeping our composure and pulling out a road win. This is a big one against a team currently in playoff contention.

Main is man of the match, 8.8 rating and 2 goals, both after picking up a bit of an injury.

Assists from O'Sullivan (7.3) and Anane (6.9). Mike Williams (7.3) stands out as well.

Sloma (5.6) and Harsanyi (5.8) play poorly. I tell Harsanyi I'm not happy with his play in the postgame and may well sit him a match.

Injury Update

Curtis Main suffered a thigh strain today, he was ok until he rested I suppose... now he's done for 4 weeks.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 AM   #117
Radii
Head Coach

November 10th, 2012

FA Cup First Round

Walsall @ Woking

Walsall are currently 14th in League 1. They are 1-2 favorites in our house today.

I drop us back to a standard 4-4-2 formation, a little less offensive against a higher league team.

Harsanyi and Subotic start.

13': After attacking for 13 minutes straight their striker Deeney beats both Williams and Fenton and scores. 0-1

44': Corner, header, goal for Walsall. Lynch had no chance, a very strong header. 0-2

HALF: We've taken one shot. They've taken 11. Not much to say here.

75': Neither team has taken a shot all half yet. We've been trying to attack the entire time. o'Sullivan, Subotic, Harsanyi out. Sole, Ademola, Herd in.

89': Ademola picks up a loose ball at midfield, he runs down the left side, the defense isn't there, he cuts into the area and fires a shot low to the far post past the keeper! 1-2

89': Overload mentality trying for the miracle.

Woking 1 : 2 Walsall

Good try. Moses Ademola actually earns man of the match with an 8.0 rating for his stellar goal. Herd is credited with an assist.

Bennett with a 7.0, Lynch a 7.1.

That puts us out of the FA Cup, not much of a surprise there.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:03 AM   #118
Radii
Head Coach

-- "After weeks of sustained transfer speculation, Zoltan Harsanyi has said that he has learned to ignore the media and concentrate on playing for Woking" I hope so buddy!

-- A key match has been postponed. We were due to host #2 Crawley on november 17th, but our field is waterlogged and the match is moved to December 5th.

November 24th, 2012

Working(11-5-3, 3rd) @ York(8-10-2, 5th)

We're 0-0-2 against York, both matches two seasons ago. This is another big match against a playoff contender. They won the playoffs two years ago but immediately got relegated back down out of league 2.

2': O'Sullivan places a ball to Subotic well outside the area. He beats his man, heads to the penalty area, draws the defense and finds Harsanyi, Harsanyi with a clear cut chance... saved.

13': A counter attack.. long ball from Harsanyi to Subotic, he takes it into the area, he goes down, no penalty given.

16': A nice ball to an onrunning midfielder, Hopcutt leads to a clear cut strike and goal for York. 0-1

25': Midfielder McCraken holds Harsanyi on a header attempt, yellow for him.

31': Harsanyi with a great pass to Subotic cutting in from the right side of the area. Subotic with our second clear cut chance, a great look, off the post.

38': Bennett with a foul trying to win the ball back in the attack.

42': After we clear a corner attempt they head the ball back up, a strike is taken from 20 yards out, bending more than i've seen any shot bend at this level... holy crap impressive, goal. 0-2

47': Free kick from 25 yards out. Another great strike, bending by the wall and going right by Lynch. 0-3

I was in defensive or counter the entire half and they simply owned me. cousins in for a tiring/not fully fit still Subotic.

58': missed interception by York allows O'Sullivan ot place a great through ball to McLaggon who beats the keeper! 1-3

77': Anane in for Ricketts.

84': A quick counter, McLaggon to O'Sullivan, back to McLaggon, he places a great shot from the left edge of the 6 yard box to the far right corner of the net by the keeper!! 2-3

89': Herd in for Pulis.

95': We bring Lynch forward for a desparation attempt on a corner, they clear it out and get a long ball and put the ball into the net before the whistle is blown. 2-4

York 4 : 2 Woking

This was closer than it seemed. They had two long strikes that were just perfect... maybe they're really that much more talented than us but I dunno... They outshot us by a lot in the first half, but i was goign for the counter. We generated two clear cut chances in the first half and didn't finish either. It could have been a very different game.

Alas, two goals for McLaggon earns him an 8.8 rating. 2 assists and key passes all over for O'Sullivan earns him a 9.0 and man of the match. Harsanyi (5.4), Ricketts (5.8) and Miquel(5.8) were just bad today sadly.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:47 AM   #119
Radii
Head Coach

FA Trophy First Round Draw

We get a good draw, at home against divisional level Horsham. We'll play on the 15th of December.

November 27th, 2012

Ebbsfleet(9-6-6, 11th) @ Woking(11-5-4, 3rd)

We are heavy favorites in this one, pick'em against 11:5 for Ebbsfleet. We're 2-1-1 against them in our history, last year we won both matches.

Massive lineup changes today:

DEF: Nikolaou/Williams/Thomas/Anane
MC: Arter/Herd

changes everywhere but GK and Striker.

1': yellow for midfielder connor immediately after kickoff heh.

8': Yellow for defender Henry.

12': Arter with a through ball that Sloma gets to, a clear cut chance, saved... not a bad strike but Sloma is a terrible finisher.

32': Herd is brought down hard and has to go off the field for treatment. He's ok after a bit of a break though.

40': Bailey for ebbsfleet with a yellow... they're starting to add up.

43': Nikolaou with a yellow for us.

48': Arter with a great feed into the box for Ademola for a clear cut chance... into the side netting.

HALF: 0-0, we've had 3 clear cut chances and are failing completely. We've got 8 shots to their 6 but we are clearly in charge and getting better looks. Just need to finish.

O'Sullivan in for Herd at the half.

45:12: O'Sullivan yellow, way to go bud.

51': Defender Crooks with a yellow.

63': O'Sullivan to Subotic, Subotic really does the work himself though, turning a defender and taking a strike from 18 yards out, a hard shot by the keeper! 1-0

66': Mike Williams a yellow in defense.

75': Sole in for Subotic, McLaggon in for Ademola

89': Last minute goal here, we steal the ball in midfield, Harsanyi plays it up ahead to Sole who gets behind the defense and puts the ball into the left side of the net. 2-0

Woking 2 : 0 Ebbsfleet

Ricky Anane plays a very good game in defense and earns man of the match with a 7.5 rating.

Goals from Subotic (7.3) and Sole (7.2). Assists from O'Sullivan(7.1) and Harsanyi (6.6).

Elsewhere: Nikolaou (7.5) and Arter (7.4) play very well. Happy to get a win after that match vs York.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #120
Radii
Head Coach

December notes

-- Curtis Main is 3rd for BS Premier Player of the Month in November.

-- Joe O'Sullivan wins young player of the month! Curtis Main comes in 3rd.

December 1, 2012

Working(12-5-4, 3rd) @ Stevenage(4-2-16, 23rd)

We're 4:6 favorites on the road today. Stevenage are our top rivals, and this is actually the second meeting of the season. We crushed them 4:1 at home and are 2-1-2 lifetime against them.

Stevenage only has 10 goals all year, their leading goal scorer has 3.

I rest a couple normal starters (Miquel, O'Sullivan, Subotic) since we play a top 5 team in less than a week.

23': We control the ball in their end, Pulis finds a nice hole in the defense, delivers a through ball for Bennett who beats the keeper from 15 yards straight out! 1-0

25': Stevenage takes their first shot of the game. We only have 4 but we are clearly in control.

33': Sole breaks ahead, draws the defense, leaves the ball for Pulis who plays it forward to Harsanyi, its a clear cut strike from 10 yards out on the left side... saved.

HALF: Its been awhile since Harsanyi has scored, he's missed a number of clear cut chances in recent matches. But we are in full control here and I expect a goal or two more.

60': Time flies to the 60 minute mark.

65': Harsanyi with a dangerous header off a cross, keeper makes what seems like an amazing save to turn it wide.

72': Sloma in for Pulis, Anane in for Ricketts, Cousins in for Harsanyi.

We successfully and easily kill the final 20 minutes.

Stevenage 0 : 1 Woking

Pulis earns man of the match with his assist and control in the middle, 7.8 rating. Bennett's goal earns him a 7.2. Elsewhere: Ricketts (7.1), Nikolaou(7.8) stand out.

Stevenage took 1 shot today. It was on target but from deep range. We controlled 63% of the possession and dominated more than 1-0 indicates.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #121
Radii
Head Coach

December 5th, 2012

Crawley (12-9-1, 1st) @ Woking (13-5-4, 3rd)

We're slim 5:4 favorites today. This will be the halfway point for both our teams. We're 0-2-2 lifetime against Crawley, two draws last season, and this is our first meeting this year.

Crawley are led by Charles Ademeno, who has 9 goals/7 assists in just 14 matches, and Calum Willock who has 9 goals in 20 matches.

Lineup today:

DEF: Miquel/Williams/Fenton/Ricketts
AM: Bennett/Adeomla

This is close to an ideal lineup for us. Main is playing as well as anyone up front but is just coming back from injury. He'll be available off the bench today.

2': Subotic to Bennett... Bennett seems to have a clear shot from close range, but a poor first touch sends the ball to the keeper. Arter takes a long shot off the rebound but the keeper had recovered.

6': yellow for defender Quinn for Crawley.

16': Harsanyi is slowed after being hit on a tackle.

18': Williams misses an interception, Willock is through for a clear cut chance... and he hits the crossbar from near point blank range. We clear, lucky lucky break.

32': THERE IT IS! Quick counter, Arter to Ademola to Subotic to Harsanyi, Harsanyi is in space 15 yards out, strikes it low to the far post and IN! His first goal in nearly 500 minutes. 1-0

The rest of the half plays out fairly quickly.

HALF: We have 3 shots, all on target. They have 4 shots, just one on target. Possession is equal, they are not passing very well and taht seems the main statistical difference so far. That and hitting the post from 10 yards out.

54': I'm gonna kick our defense's ass. Ademeno picks the ball up at midfield. He beats Williams, Fenton is out of position, and he runs by our damn defense in what seems like slow motion, you can see our mistakes pile up and he ends up in the box... and beats Lynch. 1-1

73': Anane in for Ricketts, Main in for Harsanyi.

76': A long free kick from Lynch, we win the ball, Arter to Subotic, Subotic with a stellar through ball to Main who runs onto it and strikes it into the net on a clear cut chance. 2-1

The defense does great the rest of the way. I change to a counterattacking strategy, they control the ball a bit more but we cut out anything even minorly threatening.

Woking 2 : 1 Crawley

Subotic is great today, 2 assists, 8.3 rating, man of the match. Harsanyi with his first league goal in a long time, 6.8 rating. Main with the game winner in short time off the bench, 7.2.

Elsewhere: Miquel (7.2). Williams recovers for a 6.7 rating, he was under 6 most of the match after his early mistake nearly led to a goal.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:50 AM   #122
Radii
Head Coach

We're at the halfway point of the 2012/13 season. That last win was a key one, as it jumped us two places from 3rd to 1st at this halfway mark.

Midseason Standings

1. Woking - 14-5-4 - 47 pts
2. Crawley - 12-9-3 - 45 pts
3. Cambridge - 14-3-6 - 45 pts
4. Gateshead - 11-8-4 - 41 pts
5. Forest Green - 11-8-4 - 41 pts
--------------------------
6. Accrington - 12-4-7 - 40 pts
7. York - 10-10-3 - 40 pts
8. Alfreton - 11-4-8 - 37 pts
9. Newport Co - 9-9-5 - 36 pts
10. Chelmsford - 10-6-7 - 36 pts
11. Ebbsfleet - 10-6-7 - 36 pts
12. Rushden - 9-8-6 - 35 pts
13. Wrexham - 8-6-9 - 30 pts
14. Kettering - 7-8-8 - 29 pts
15. Torquay - 6-10-7 - 28 pts
16. Barrow - 8-3-12 - 27 pts
17. Eastleigh - 5-10-8 - 25 pts
18. St. Albans - 5-10-8 - 25 pts
19. Cheltenham - 5-8-10 - 23 pts
20. Darlington - 4-9-10 - 21 pts
21. Southport - 4-6-13 - 18 pts
22. Maidenhead - 3-6-14 - 15 pts
23. Stevenage - 4-2-17 - 14 pts
24. Gainsborough - 2-6-15 - 12 pts

We have 52 goals for, 30 against. The style we play certainly lends itself to this, we have 7 more goals than anyone in the league and a +22 differential is best in the league, but we have also allowed more goals than anyone else in the top 10.

Scoring Leaders

1. Zoltan Harsanyi - Woking - 19
2. Marc Williams - Wrexham - 13
3. Jason Walker - Barrow - 13
4. Luke Powell - Newport Co - 13
5. Wes Fletcher - Accrington - 12
6. Brian Wake - Gateshead - 12

Curtis Main has 9 league goals in just 14 matches(7 starts).

Assists

1. Danny Mitchley - Newport - 11
2. Joe O'Sullivan - Woking - 10
3. Frank Wiafe Danquah - Cambridge - 8
4. George Donnelley - York - 8
5. Joe Anyinsah - Torquay - 8

Many others tied -7 (including Zoltan Harsanyi).

Subotic and Arter both have 5 assists.

Average Rating

1. George Donnelly - York - 7.50
2. Charles Ademeno - Crawley - 7.43
3. Mike Brown - Forest Green - 7.42
4. Danny Mitchley - Newport Co - 7.41
5. Curtis Main - Woking - 7.41
6. Joe O'Sullivan - Woking - 7.36
7. Sam Smith - Rushden - 7.35
8. Stelios Nikolaou - Woking - 7.33

DL Nikolaou has played great, he's started 11 matches, splitting time fairly evenly with our loaner DL Miquel.

Contract Negotiations

I haven't really touched contract stuff yet... we have 13 players on full time contracts who expire this season.

-- ST Anson Cousins - I offer him a backup deal for $160/wk. I dunno why I want to see this guy succeed so much, maybe because he's our only reserve who has a chance.

-- DC Aswad Thomas - Willing to take a pay cut from $725->$650/wk, he'll take a big appearance fee but i'm ok with that.

-- MC Anthony Pulis - Willing to go from $950->$925 in exchange for a bigger appearance bonus. I try to lock him in for two years.

-- DC Mike Williams - I try to lock him in for longer at the same rate ($650/wk)

-- AMR Moses Ademola - Willing to take the same amount he makes now ($775/wk), I offer the extension.

-- ML Sam Sloma - willing to drop from $525->$500/wk. A solid rotation guy, sure thing pal.

MC Harry Arter - Willing to stay at $875/wk. I'm good with that.

GK Kevin Lynch - wants a raise from $160/wk to $600/wk. totally deserves it. I do try to increase his appearance bonus to get him to take $500/wk instead.

Contract Issues

-- DR Mark Ricketts - Wants a raise from $700->$775/wk. I hold off for now. Ricketts is my captain and 28 years old. I should probalby go out of my way to keep him, but Anane is really good back there too.

-- ST Zoltan Harsanyi - Wants a raise from $1100/wk to $1600/wk. He's just entering his prime and I need to keep him, but I can't commit to that just yet.

-- MC Chris Herd - makes $1100/wk, willing to stay for the same, but he really seems to be odd man out amongst O'Sullivan, Pulis, Arter and Herd. I need 4 guys at MC for sure... but I dont' want my highest paid to be the one that sees the least amount of time on the pitch. I hold off here now too.

Anane, Subotic, O'Sullivan and Martin are signed through next year.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:33 AM   #123
Radii
Head Coach

Contract Updates

Sloma, Cousins, Thomas, Ademola and Pulis sign immediately.

I tried getting Arter for a long term deal, he didn't like that idea. I offer the 1 year deal he wants this time around.

Lynch rejects his deal too. I offer him a 1 year deal instead of 3... but try again to lower his weekly rate and increase his appearance fee. I may be playing with fire here, I don't want to piss my franchise keeper off.

December 8th, 2012

Eastleigh(5-10-8, 17th) @ Woking(14-5-4, 1st)

We are 4:6 favorites here at home against one of the weaker teams in the league. We're 2-2-1 against them lifetime, winning 2:0 on the road earlier this year.

Striker Danny Mills leads them with 8 goals in 17 starts/20 total appearances.

Lots more lineup changes today:

DEF: Nikolaou/Williams/Thomas/Anane
ST: Subotic/Main

Harsanyi gets a much needed rest today.

2': Striker mills with a header off the crossbar, whew!

16': Subotic to McLaggon who is charging into the area.. .its a clear cut chance, and he hits it right at the keeper.

20': sloma with a run down the left side, Main makes his move towards the goal, Sloma with a perfect spot on pass from the left sideline to the 18 yard line for Main. Main strikes it cleanly by the keeper! 1-0. One of the better passes I've ever seen there.

33': O'Sullivan with a nice ball forward into the area for McLaggon. He doesn't control it so well. He gets a shot off but its right at the keeper again.

34': Pulis steals the ball in midfield, fires a quick ball forward to Subotic who runs on to it and puts it in! 2-0

HALF: Possession is pretty even, 52/48 in our favor. We're only completing 67% of our passes, a little low for us. But other than that it'd be silly to complain. 6 shots/5 on target for us, 2 shots/0 on target for them.

55': McLaggon with a cross, Main with a header, just barely wide.

60': Arter in for O'Sullivan. O'Sullivan was barely fit enough to start today, happy to get him out for rest early.

62': Pulis with a ball forward to McLaggon, a much better first touch this time, a clear cut strike from the right side, GOAL. 3-0

89': Aswad Thomas picks up another injury in the final minutes of a match, yuck.

They almost get one in the 91st minute but Lynch makes a great save.

Woking 3 : 0 Eastleigh

Pulis is spectacular, 8.9 rating, 2 assists, man of the match today. Sloma with a 7.7 and the other assist. Goals from McLaggon (7.9), Main (7.7) and Subotic (7.3).

Elsewhere: Anane (7.1), Nikolaou(7.8), Thomas (7.1), Williams (7.0).
Old 07-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #124
Radii
Head Coach

Portsmouth fires their manager, i'm a leading candidate, but I release a statement indicating i have no interest.

Thomas doesn't suffer a long term injury, and Arter and Lynch sign their new contracts, good stuff.

Mike Williams also doesn't want a long term deal. I give him the 1 year extension he wants.

December 15th, 2012

FA Trophy First Round

Horsham @ Woking

We're 1:6 favorites here. I go with a bit of a second team here:

DEF: Nikolaou/Williams/Fenton/Anane
MC: Pulis/Herd

1': Sloma with a yellow, doh.

6': Harsanyi with a powerful strike from 22ish yards out that hits the left post.

8': there's the goal, Anane to cousins, Cousins to Harsanyi, Harsanyi with a finish from 18 yards out. 1-0

12': Pulis with a little through ball to Cousins, Cousins strikes it near post from the left side of the area and beats the keeper. 2-0

17': Anane with a yellow for a hard tackle.

29': Sloma takes a corner, Mike williams runs on to it and heads it hard and into the net. 3-0

39': Sloma with a nice cross, Ademola is there to head it in. 4-0

HALF: I turn it to just text for the rest of this one.

Harsanyi/Pulis out, Sole/Arter in. simply injury concerns.

48': Ademola forward to Sole, Sole lays it to the left for cousins, Cousins puts it by the keeper! 5-0

56': Nikolaou plays a ball from near midfield on the left side of the pitch to Cousins. cousins with great control, a 19 yard strike, and a goal! 6-0

65': Arter runs laterally across the penalty area, fires a shot from 20 yards out... yup! 7-0

Woking 7 : 0 Horsham

Har. I'm thrilled to see cousins have such a great game.

With the hat trick and an assist, Cousins earns a 9.7 rating and man of the match. Goals from Williams (9.0), Ademola (8.9), Harsanyi (8.0) and Arter (7.6) round things out. Sloma with 2 assists earns a 9.0. Nikolaou (8.9/1 ast). Pulis (7.7/ast). Sole an assist and a 6.9 rating in relief.

elsewhere: Lynch (7.2), Anane (8.4), Fenton (8.2), Herd (8.3). Fun times!
Old 07-30-2010, 03:37 AM   #125
Radii
Head Coach

FA Trophy 2nd Round Draw

Good draw for us again, we will host BS South side Salisbury. that match is on January 12th.

December 26th, 2012

Woking (15-5-4, 1st) @ Accrington(13-4-7, 5th)

A key road matchup. They are favored 4:5. We're 3-1 dogs. We went 0-1-1 against them last year. This is our first meeting this season.

Accrington is led in goals by Wes Fletcher, not fast, but pretty talented, he's put up 13 goals in 20 appearances.

Lineup today:

DEF: Nikolaou/Williams/Thomas/Ricketts

We open in a counter attacking strategy.

16': Ademola takes a corner, short to Williams. williams attempts to strike it far post, it hits a defender in the leg and ricochet's near post and in! 1-0

20': Great ball into the area by Pulis, its tackled away from Main, bennett picks it up on the left side of the area, shoots, just saved.

22': Harsanyi plays the ball to the left side of the area, Bennett is there. Its not easy, a very nice... stutter step? fake right/go left, left footed strike near post under the keeper. 2-0

25': Accrington with a cross, a header by... greulich, it hits the left post, hits Lynch as he's diving that way, and bounces in... credited with an Own Goal for lynch. 2-1

28': Ricketts with an awful awful pass into the center of the pitch in our own end. Its stolen by a striker who runs into the area and scores easily. 2-2

I've stayed in counter attacking mode all game btw.

32': Nice move to get a cross from Nikolaou to Main in the area, Main with a header but its just over.

36': A brilliant attack...errr it seemed it. Ademola runs down the right side, I thought he lifted a great cross, but he tried to shoot and it deflected funny, to Main, who headed the ball down for Harsanyi who put it in! 3-2

41': Thomas takes a free kick from midfield. He plays it low and hard into the penalty area. Harsanyi finds it in the crowd and redirects the ball with his head, the keeper stood no chance in hell. Goal! 4-2

HALF: One of the omre insane halves of soccer I've ever seen. Two of our goals come primarily due to unlucky deflections by the defense. One of their goals is pure bad luck with Lynch diving for a ball that hits the post, then him, then in... the other due to a terrible decision by Ricketts. Craziness here. In that half we took 11 shots/7 on target, they took 7 shots/3 on target.

60': Harsanyi with a pass to Ademola in the area, Ademola is on the right side, coudl score, but puts a shot wide, tough angle, good effort.

83': Anane in for Ricketts, Subotic for Main, just for tired guys.

89': Accrington with some nice possession, a through ball into the area leads to a goal, Lynch tried hard on that one to rush out for the ball but got beat. 4-3

4 minutes of stoppage time... goes by quickly, whew.

Accrington 3 : 4 Woking

The second half pretty much flew by, I stayed in counter mode the entire game until they cut the lead to 4-3, I dropped back to contain then to kill the clock.

Harsanyi really stepped it up today, 2 goals, an assist, 9.2 rating and man of the match. Main had an assist and an 8.0 rating up front. Other goals from Williams (7.5) and Bennett (7.5). Assists from Thomas (6.8) and Ademola (6.9).

That's a big road win against a playoff contender right there. And Harsanyi really got back into form with a great game today after a long stretch of league matches where he struggled.

Harsanyi now has 21 league goals after his performance today.

We are on a roll and are 5 points clear of 2nd right now, 10 points clear of 6th.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:15 AM   #126
Radii
Head Coach

December 29th, 2012

Wrexham(9-6-10, 15th) @ Woking(16-5-4, 1st)

We're 4:5 favorites today. We're 2-1-2 lifetime vs Wrexham, including a 2:2 draw on the road in our first match of the season.

Wrexham are led by one of the best scorers in the league, Marc Williams. He's got 13 goals this year so far, had 24 last year, and 19 the year before.

Lots of changes for short rest today:

1': Subotic collides with a defender... he's only down to 88% but hurt. We'll see how he looks.

25': 3 off target shots taken between both teams combined.

26': Pretty move by the offense, O'Sullivan forward to Subotic, he hits a charging McLaggon on the right side of the area. The keeper moves over, McLaggon with a pass across the front of the 6 yard box, Harsanyi is there and onsides and puts it home. 1-0

that's about it...

HALF: We're doing ok so far but Wrexham has had a lot of time with the ball in our end. Just havent managed a serious threat yet. I'm worried about this Subotic injury. I bring Main in for the second half.

46': O'Sullivan with a yellow in midfield. That's the limit for him, he'll be suspended next match.

66': Herd in for O'Sullivan, he picked up a little knock and should get some rest.

69': A through ball for Marc Williams, he runs into the area, shoots, GREAT save by Lynch! Spectacular job keeping Williams from scoring.

77': Main with our second clear cut strike of the day, in the right side of the area after a nice pass from Arter, but he sends it right at the keeper.

93': A nice long ball forward for Wrexham, a shot from the right side of the area is deflected out for a corner. We defend the corner well and that's it.

Woking 1 : 0 Wrexham

Defense wins the honors today, Mike Williams with a 7.4 rating and man of the match. 12 headers/3 key ones in defense for him today.

Harsanyi with the goal(6.9), McLaggon the assist (6.8).

Anane (7.2) and Miquel (7.3) also have good games today.

Subotic is fine. O'Sullivan did pick up his 5th yellow today and will miss our next match, another key road game against Cambridge, currently in 5th.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #127
Radii
Head Coach

January Notes

--I am the manager of the month in the league, hooray! We didn't lose a single time in December.

-- The board is "very pleased" with my leadership. Our 7-0 FA Trophy win is a highlight, and our loss to York in November is the only down point.

January 1, 2013

Woking(17-5-4, 1st) @ Cambridge(14-4-8, 5th)

We are getting some respect now, favored on the road against a perennial playoff contender. We're 3-0-4 lifetime against Cambridge. We won 3-2 earlier in the season at home.

Cambridge is still led by Frank Wiafe Danquah with 10 goals and Craig Lindfield with 8.

We've got major conditioning issues on short rest in the winter time here.

DEF: Nikolaou/Thomas/Fenton/Ricketts
MC: Pulis/Herd

Fenton 91%, Herd 90%, Main 91%... Harsanyi is off today, just 87%, Miquel 85%, etc. This will be interesting. They have similar issues luckily.

Counter-attackign worked well on the road last time we played a tough team, I try that again.

28': 6 total shots, all off target. We just fast forwarded from 8 to 28 minutes w/o a highlight heh.

HALF: Ok then. We put a shot on target in the 44th minute, an effort outside the area by Ademola that the keeper easily saved. We dominate possession at 60% but haven't done anything with it. 10 shots total, 6 of them long, 9 off target between both teams.

60': Subotic with a collision in midfield and he's slowed quite a bit...

65': Sole on for Subotic. Cambridge is dominating play in the 2nd half. Only 1 on target shot but every highlight starts deep in our end.

72': McLaggon with a rare chance at striker, in for Main. Arter in for Herd.

83': Ademola with a cross into the area, McLaggon header... its saved by the keeper, punched away, it hangs in midair seemingly forever right in front of the net before being cleared by the defense.

Cambridge 0 : 0 Woking

We tried coming out of our shell a little more in the final 15 minutes but it didn't seem to matter. Cambridge is a very good squad, I'll take a road draw.

DL Stelios Nikolaou is man of the match with a 7.7 rating in defense. Ricketts with a 7.2, and that's it for us today.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #128
Radii
Head Coach

January 5th, 2013

Chelmsford(11-7-9, 12th) @ Woking(17-6-4, 1st)

We're very heavy favorites today, 2:5! Chelmsford is 13:2 to pull out a win. We're 0-1-2 lifetime against Chelmsford with a very disappointing defeat at their house early in the year.

Today's lineup again on short rest:

DEF: Miquel/Thomas/Williams/Anane

25': On two corners in a row they get solid shots that our defenders on the line in the corners of the goal are forced to save. Those two shots are the first on target all match. Chelmsford plays a 4-1-4-1 and is very defensive.

45': We attack quickly after stealing the ball on their end. A ball foward from Anane to Main, Main finds Harsanyi sprinting towards a hole in the defense, he picks the ball up in the area but from a tough angle on the left side... a rocket of a shot, the keeper can't react at all, GOAL! 1-0

HALF: We put 2 shots on target, and I don't remember seeing the first one before the goal. Chelmsford with 5 shots, 3 on target, two of them very very dangerous. We have 61% of the possession and complete 77% of our passes, just 53% for them. We'd like another goal, as they've shown they can be dangerous if they get forward.

70': The only serious threat of the half so far, a corner leads to a header for Chelmsford that is just over.

71': Subotic in for Main, Sloma for Bennett.

83': A cross from Sloma into the area, header by Subotic... off the crossbar!

Woking 1 : 0 Chelmsford

We manage 14 shots but only put two on target. They only take a total of 2 shots the entire second half. Some scary moments here but a win is a win.

O'Sullivan is man of the match with a 7.4 rating, dominating the midfield today despite not being involved in our goal.

Harsanyi wth the goal (6.9), Main the assist (6.9). Elsewhere: Miquel (7.3), Arter (7.0).

Today's goal was the 50th league goal for Zoltan Harsanyi.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #129
Radii
Head Coach

January 12th, 2013

FA Trophy Round 2

Salisbury @ Woking

Salisbury is currently leading the BS South. As expected, we're favored heavily here. We've played these guys 3 times. Last year we were favored heavily over them at home in the 4th round of the FA Trophy... and they beat us 2-0.

lineup today:

DEF: Nikolaou/Thomas/Williams/Ricketts
ST: Subotic/Cousins

Trying to get Cousins playing time in the cup matches still.

6': Cousins with a yellow in midfield.

11': Subotic with a great ball forward to Cousins, he gets into the area, harrassed pretty good, and can't put it in, the keeper makes a save.

33': Despite 68/32 possession,we only have 2 shots so far.

38': O'sullivan forward to Bennett, Bennett is just to the left of the 6 yard area, he played the ball through the 6 yard box, McLaggon is there and puts it in! 1-0

40': salisbury midfielder Bull with a yellow.

HALF: Possession is insane... 71/29 in our favor now. They only manage one shot. We've got 5, but just two on target.

46': Ricketts goes for a risky interception on a pass after the opening kickoff... he misses, they get a midfielder into the area, and Lynch makes a great save in a one on one situation.

72': Subotic takes a header played down by Cousins and has a look from 20 yards out, he puts it inches wide.

77': Subotic again, this time with his left foot near post , just saved by the keeper. Corner comes to nothing.

83': Sloma in for O'Sullivan, Ademola for McLaggon

89': Ademola with the second clear cut chance on the day for Woking. A defender with a poor first touch on a backpass allows Ademola to pick up the ball in the area... his shot however, is right at the keeper and saved.

90': A throwin to Ricketts. Ricketts with a cross, Bennett to the ball in the 6 yard box, header, GOAL! 2-0

Woking 2 : 0 Salisbury

They do much better this half but still only end up with 1 on target shot all match. We finish thigns with a 62/38 possession edge and that is a huge part of the difference.

Bennett with a goal and an assist, 8.9 rating and man of the match. The other goal comes from McLaggon (7.6) and the other assist from Ricketts (7.4). Elsewhere: Nikolaou (7.5), Williams (7.1).

Revenge for an early exit last year.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #130
Radii
Head Coach

FA Trophy 4th Round Draw

Already down to 16 teams. We will be at home either against divisional Leighton or BS north Oxford City.

-- Oxford City beats Leighton in a replay, we'll play them February 2nd.

Injury Update

GK Kevin Lynch is out for 5 or 6 days with a "stubbed finger" ... the kind of injury only a keeper can pick up I assume. That's not enough time to recall Lewis Martin from loan. But he is going to miss a match.

January 19th, 2013

Woking(18-6-4, 1st) @ Southport(4-7-17, 22nd)

We're 1:2 favorites on the road against this relegation candidate. We beat them 3:0 at home earlier in the year and are 2-1-0 lifetime against them.

"Southport boss Jamie Day has told richard dixon that he doesn't want woking to gain promotion to League 2 this season."

ok... no need for trash talking, asshat.

GK: Pegler (reserve GK with Lynch injured)
DEF: Nikolaou/Thomas/Williams/Ricketts

4': O'Sullivan with another yellow for diving in the area...

6': Harsanyi moves the ball wide for McLaggon, he crosses it into the 6 yard box, Bennett is there, cuts inside a defender to get there first and heads it into the net! 1-0

26': We live in their area for about 4 minutes, generate only one shot, a couple corners, before finally Main finds McLaggon cutting towards the net for a goal... but offsides. Alas.

38': Quick attack after a throwin, O'Sullivan from the midfield circle fires a hard pass to Harsanyi, he makes a little move, beats his defender badly, makes a run into the area and beats the keeper! 2-0

HALF: We take 8 shots in the half, put 3 on target and 2 in. Southport only manages 1 shot and its not close. Possession is pretty even, but we are dominating the attack.

54': they get a ball forward to striker McGrath on the right side of the field, we're out of position... Nikolaou is nowhere to be seen. But he's very slow getting forward and we easily catch up and force him wide instead of allowing an attack.

64': Mike Williams with a dangerous sliding tackle just outside the area, its a yellow, looked like it had a chance at being a red. The free kick is taken and shot just wide.

67': Anane in for Ricketts.

77': Arter in for O'Sullivan, Ademola in for McLaggon.

86': We counter attack, Ademola down the right sideline, crosses for harsanyi, they get in the way but the ball falls to the feet of Pulis in the area... clear cut strike for him.. wide.

Southport 0 : 2 Woking

We continue to roll. Bennett is man of the match with his goal today, 7.8 rating. Harsanyi with the other goal, 7.0 rating. Assists from O'Sullivan (7.6) and McLaggon (7.1).

Elsewhere: Ricketts (7.0), Nikolaou (7.3), Thomas (7.5), and Pulis (7.0).

We are dominating the league at this point, not to a level that we couldn't still lose out of course. But what we've got going is pretty impressive. We are 8 points clear of Forest Green in second place. We're now 13 points clear of 6th, the first spot out of the playoffs. We have 63 goals, second best is 52. We have a +30 goal differential, second best is +19.

Still 18 matches to go, so anything could happen, but we look good!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #131
Radii
Head Coach

Giuseppe Sole is suffering from food poisoning and will miss a match. I'm glad no one else ate whatever he had.

-- A home match against Darlington is postponed due to a waterlogged field. We're having some issues maintaining our pitch this year it seems.

January 29th, 2012

Woking (19-6-4, 1st) @ Gateshead(14-9-7, 6th)

We're pick'em favorites on the road against a playoff contender. Pretty impressive. We've never lost to these guys, 3-2-0 in our history. We won 3:1 at home in October.

Gateshead is led by Brian Wake, 16 goals for him this season is in 4th in the league this year.

Lynch is back in goal today. Otherwise, no changes from our last match, a first for me all season I believe!

26': Main is clearly offsides on a goal, alas. We ahve 3 shots, they 1. We're domianting possession big time today.

34': A goal kick by Gateshead... there's some confusion as the ball comes down, we trip one of their men, the ball falls loose, they get a through ball to Wake and he gets a clear cut strike that he isn't going to miss. 0-1

37': Gateshead score again after a blocked shot... but there was an offsides, whew.

44': A great ball into space from O'Sullivan to Harsanyi, he runs on to it, its our first and only clear cut chance of the half... a hard strike but the keeper deflects it away.

HALF: Each team manages 4 shots, we dominate possession, 65/35, each team with one clear cut strike, they just got that one breakaway and we couldn't convert ours. We need to do better generating chances in the second half with all of that possession, that is for sure.

52': We're forward for a free kick. O'Sullivan tries a shot, its blocked, falls to Main, he plays it wide to Bennett, a cross comes in, Harsanyi is there, he doesn't get a lot of power on his header but its placed well and the keeper can't reach it! 1-1

62': A counter attack has McLaggon charging down the right sideline, a hard cross comes in, Bennett's header is just barely over.

67': Same thing... execpt this time its Harsanyi with the header, still just barely over.

74': Ricketts goes down hard, he's hurt and has to come off. We'll see how badly in a bit. Anane in for Ricketts, Arter in for Pulis.

83': O'Sullivan with a yellow in midfield.

85': Subotic in for Main.

90': A cross from Bennett is punched away by their keeper, we can't get to the loose ball. We control after clearance though, McLaggon crosses, Subotic heads it over.

Gateshead 1 : 1 Woking

We're better than them, but we'll settle for a tie on the road. We dominate possession and the shots, but struggle to get them on target. Lots of successful crosses today, more than usual for us, but we had trouble getting the headers on target.

Bennett is man of the match today with the assist and a 7.6 rating. Harsanyi with yet another goal, 7.0.

O'Sullivan put up a 7.0, Nikolaou a 7.3, and that's it today.

Injury Update

Its a bad one. Mark Ricketts has a torn ACL. 10-12 months. Anane can play, so we're not in awful shape. Ricketts is our captain, his contract is coming up, he's turning 29 and now he might not play until next January. That'll be a decision at the end of the year.

Harsanyi's goal today was his 25th in league play. Second in the league is Barrow's Jason Walker with just 19. the league record was set by Kettering's Stephen O'flynn in 10/11 at 35 goals.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #132
Radii
Head Coach

Going into February the board is very pleased with my leadership. We lost 70k in January. We've been leaking cash all year and are back to -300k in our coffers. As long as they let me keep spending on salaries to win, its all good.

February 2nd, 2013

FA Trophy 3rd Round

Oxford City @ Woking

oxford city is 21st in the BS North. We're 1:6 favorites to advance.

Today's lineup:

DEF: Miquel/Thomas/Williams/Anane
ST: Sole/Cousins

25': Not dominating as easily here as our last trophy match. We do have 60% of the possession but just 4 shots and only 1 on target.

34': McLaggon with a nice deep run, a cross into the area, Sole with a soft header but the keeper can't get there, it's in! 1-0

46': A counter for us, O'Sullivan gets forward, the defense... there is a massive hole in the center of the penalty area. O'Sullivan feeds Cousins who puts it home. 2-0

HALF: It took us a little while to get it going but we take a solid 2:0 lead.

50': We steal the ball in midfield, a pass to Cousins, Sole gets forward, Cousins hits him well, again the defense just is not there at all. Sole puts it in. 3-0

60': they try to clear the ball, it bounces off O'Sullivan and into the area. Bennett runs on to it and puts it home. 4-0

75': Arter/McLaggon/Bennett out, Herd/Sloma/Ademola in.

85': O'Sullivan with a yellow.. that counts against him in all english matches.

Woking 4 : 0 Oxford City

Nice and easy.

Cousins with a 9.0, 1 goal/1 assist, man of the match. Sole has 2 goals, 8.9 rating. Bennett with a goal and an 8.4 rating. O'Sullivan with an 8.3 and an assist. McLaggon with a 7.5 and an assist.

Elsewhere: Lynch (7.3), Anane (8.1), Miquel (7.9), Williams (7.7), Thomas (7.2), Arter (7.0).
Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #133
Radii
Head Coach

-- Lewis Martin's loan to Grays is over. He played 15 matches for them and averaged a 7.15 rating.

FA Trophy Fourth Round Draw

We'll be going on the road for this one, playing the winner of Dover (BS South) and Cheltenham (BSP).

February 6th, 2013

Newport Co(12-12-7, 9th) @ Woking(19-7-4 ,1st)

We're pick'em favorites at home today. We're 2-2-3 lifetime against Newport, including a very embarrassing 4-1 loss at their house earlier in the season.

Today's Lineup:

DEF: Nikolaou/Fenton/Williams/Anane

18': We can't cleanly clear a ball out, they get it forward to striker Gilroy, I didn't type it up right away, sure it was offsides... nope. He receives the ball 10 yards out and easily scores. 0-1

22': Ademola with a yellow trying to win back a ball deep in their end.

27': Harsanyi with a great run down the middle, he gets to the edge of the area, he's got a clear cut chance, he fires his shot, the keeper goes up for it and makes a great diving stop.

32': O'Sullivan gets into the area, passes to Subotic, he didn't shoot right away and missed his chance.

36': O'Sullivan with a strike from 25 yards out, the keeper has to dive to push taht one away, very close.

44': Pulis with a yellow, bad foul going for a ball in the midfield.

HALF: We take 7 shots, put 4 on target, only allow 1 on target shot. A bad clearance and a bad bounce give them an easy goal and we aren't able to finish one ourselves. Over half the team is "playing nervously" or "having a bad game" so taht's a concern. I go with the "where's the passion" pep talk to get them to wake up.

54': Sloma to Ademola, Ademola runs into the area, our 3rd clear cut strike of the match... saved.

66': Main in for Harsanyi, who was playing poorly. There was a note at the start about a manager from a higher league in attendance, quite possibly to scout Harsanyi, he seems to hate attention and pressure.

72': Herd in for a tired O'Sullivan.

78': Main with a hard strike from 22ish yards out, its off the left cross bar.

78': Pulis picks up his second yellow after a hard tackle trying to win the ball back... that's a red. Bennett in for Sloma, 4-3-2 formation.

84': Nikolaou is hurt, he can stay in for now though.

86': Newport get the win, a counter, they try a cross, Fenton is charging to try to cover the man making the cross but doesn't quite get there in time, the ball deflects off him and to a Newport player. Lynch is out of position and we can't stop that. 0-2

Woking 0 : 2 Newport co

Can't win em all.

Anane and Harsanyi put up low 6's today, no one under 6.0, no one over 7. Very mediocre.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:21 AM   #134
Radii
Head Coach

Bleh, had to work too much this weekend, including super late into the night tonight. Winding down after work though I figure I'll knock out a match or two.

-- Nikolaou is going to miss 9-12 days with a bruised rib.

-- Pulis suspended for our next match against Kettering for his red card.

February 9th, 2013

Woking(19-7-5, 1st) @ Kettering(8-13-11, 17th)

We're 3-0-2 lifetime vs Kettering. The home team has won every match, we'll try to break that trend. We won 2:0 at home in September. We are very slim 6:4 favorites today(Kettering is 13:8).

On short rest and with an injury/suspension, we switch up a lot:

DEF: Miquel/Fenton/Thomas/Anane

Counter-attacking today.

9': Throwin in their end. Anane receives the throw, passes to O'Sullivan in the area. He makes a nifty move and gets a wide open look from 15 yards out, and his shot beats the keeper! His first goal of the year. 1-0

27': Haven't allowed a shot still. We have tons of buildup, McLaggon down the right, in to Main who runs in the area for awhile looking for a shot, can't find it, more possession.. finally O'Sullivan with a shot from 18 yards out is just saved and turned back for a corner, which we can't do anything with.

32': Kettering's first shot, very long and way wide.

40': We concede 3 straight headers and 2 deep throwins before we're able to clear the ball out of our area. Kettering never do manage a shot though.

HALF: We'll take that 1-0 lead. We have 6 shots, 4 on target. They have 1 shot. Possession is slightly in our favor and they are only completing 55% of their passes, quite poor.

46': After stealing the ball seconds after the kickoff, O'Sullivan with a ball forward to McLaggon in the box, he strikes it hard but off the right post. They clear for a throw, we attack immediately again, Main with the ball just outside the area, he plays a low ball through to McLaggon who is free in front of the net and doesn't miss this time! 2-0

55': Cousins in for Harsanyi, basically b/c we're up 2-0 and Harsanyi can always use a little rest here and there.

58': Another block of time where we fend off multiple corners and throws... but finally after a throwin they cross into the area. Seems harmless, no one is there at all. Arter and Fenton both go for it though and no one cleanly gets to the ball... its off Arter and into our own net 2-1

61': McLaggon down to 50% condtion after being hit on a header.

64': They get a man free in the area after a through ball, I can't see how it won't be a goal, but Lynch comes diving off his line and blocks the shot.

73': We're under very heavy pressure, defendingnow.

76': Ademola in for McLaggon, I don't think he's hurt but he's not up for the rest of this one.

84': Herd in for O'Sullivan, O'Sullivan is tired and Herd is a better defender.

Kettering 1 : 2 Woking

We had to hold off a lot of attack in the final 30 minutes, but the defense did quite well. We didn't allow many shots at all, always winning the headers and making the tackles we needed, and not a single shot was put on target by a Kettering player today. too bad about the Arter own goal, it made this much more stressful than it should have been.

Main earns man of the match with an 8.1 rating and an assist. Goals from O'Sullivan (7.9) and McLaggon(7.3). Assist from Anane (7.3).

Elsewhere: Thomas(7.4) and Arter(7.1).
Old 08-02-2010, 04:49 AM   #135
Radii
Head Coach

Backup GK Lewis Martin goes out on loan again, this time to Bishop's Stortford in the BS South. I make sure there's a recall clause in case Lynch gets hurt.

February 13th, 2013

Darlington(9-10-13, 17th) @ Woking(20-7-5, 1st)

We're 5:4 favorites at home today. We tied them 1-1 on the road earlier in the year and are only 1-3-2 lifetime against them. Lets even that up today.

Darlington have two scoring threats, Jack Richardson with 15 goals, and Ashley Yeoman with 13. Yeoman seems the all around better player and both have good speed.

The only two changes from the last match that I make in the starting lineup are that Pulis is back in, Arter out, Ademola gets the start at AMR over McLaggon.

16': After a free kick by Darlington, we can't clear fully, they work the ball to midfielder connelly... and he runs in between about 4 defenders en route to a very easy goal. Miscommuniation on defense? no one came out to stop him. 0-1

21': Pulis to O'Sullivan to Main. Main cuts by his defender and generates his own clear cut chance, beating the keeper from just inside the area! 1-1

35': A darlington attack, twice there are deflected balls in the area that we are lucky to get to first before finally clear the danger for good.

39': Ademola plays a short corner to Fenton. He controls the ball a bit, then kicks it out to Ademola wide. Anane is charging up from a defensive position while this is happening, Ademola feeds him as he gets to the 18 yard box and the defense wasn't ready for him at all, there's a giant hole open and Anane finishes well, goal! 2-1 I dunno what possessed him to make that run forward, but it was awesome.

HALF: We have 5 shots, they have 3. Each team with only 2 shots on target, and there are 3 goals so far. Everything else is really pretty even.

54': We get forward fast on a counter attack. Harsanyi sends the ball wide to Bennett, he crosses into the 6 yard area, we've got 5 guys in the box, Pulis is the one that gets forward and gets his head to it! 3-1

57': Another counter attack. O'Sullivan plays a ball from behind midfield forward to Main. Main beats his defender one on one, goes into the area and strikes it home! 4-1

60': Hopefully not too early for this... Subotic in for Main, Herd for O'Sullivan, and Sloma in for Miquel, a rare defensive position for Sloma, with Ricketts and Nikolaou hurt it seems like a good time to rest one of our defenders.

68': Herd with a yellow for tripping up a defender who had a lot of free space in front of him.

woking 4 : 1 Darlington

Blowouts are fun.

Main is man of the match for the second match in a row. 8.8 rating with 2 goals today.

Anane (8.1) and Pulis (7.9) had the other two goals. O'Sullivan had two assists (8.1), Bennett (7.8) and Ademola (7.2) the other two.

Also: Thomas (7.4), Miquel (7.2).

Curtis Main is easily our #2 goal scorer behind Harsanyi. He's got 13 now for the season, but it'd been quite awhile. Today he ended a goal drought of over 640 minutes.

We are really starting to run away with things now:

1. Woking - 70 pts
2. Cambridge - 59 pts
3. Crawley - 58 pts ***has played 1 less match
4. Forest Green - 58 pts
5. Accrington - 56 pts
----------------------
6. Gateshead - 56 pts
7. York - 56 pts

We have an 11 point lead over second with just 13 matches to go.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #136
Radii
Head Coach

-- "Journalists have rushed to lavish praise on 'immense' Curtis Main after his latest performance drove his team forward.

February 16th, 2013

Gainsborough(6-9-18, 21st) @ Woking (21-7-5, 1st)

We are even money favorites to pull out a win today. We've never lost to Gainsborough, 3-2-0 lifetime including a big 4-1 road win earlier in the year.

Our leading goal scorer has 25 league goals. Theirs has 6. Some changes due to more short rest:

DEF: Miquel/Williams/Thomas/Anane
MC: O'Sullivan/Herd

25': Possession has been even but most highlights are in their end of the ptich. Thomas just barely missed scoring on a free kick.

32': We counter after a failed corner, O'Sullivan in the middle of the field passes to Harsanyi who is out left. He cuts inside and fires a rocket from 25 yards out, its into the left half of the net, the keeper had no chance even from long range! 1-0

35': Subotic with a ball forward to McLaggon, he's free in the area but instead of placing a shot from 10-15 yards out he continues to run at the keeper until he's at point blank range and can't aim the ball by him... poor finishing there.

40': O'Sullivan with a yellow.

HALF: Possession remains even, but we take 8 shots, putting 3 on target. They take 3 shots, none even close.

70': Pulis in for O'Sullivan. Bennett in for Herd, Bennett AML/Sloma MC.

76': A defender for Gainsborough can't control a backpass well, Subotic steals it in the area, has a clear cut strike from 10 yards out, and the keeper makes a save... should have scored there for sure.

Woking 1 : 0 Gainsborough

Gainsborough take 3 second half shots, one is on target but easy to save, and that's it.

Joe O'Sullivan picks up man of the match today with an 8.1 rating and the assist. Harsanyi with a 7.0 and our goal.

elsewhere: Miquel (7.3), Thomas (7.1).

12 matches to go, 11 points ahead of 2nd.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #137
Radii
Head Coach

February 20th, 2013

Woking (22-7-5, 1st) @ Alfreton(15-6-13, 12th)

Our only meeting ever was the one back in September where I took a 3-0 lead into halftime at home and ended up with a 3:3 draw. Still have a bad taste in my mouth about that one, and will be looking to make up for it. We're 5:4 road favorites here.

My lineup doesn't really look like one set out for revenge. O'Sullivan and Harsanyi both have the day off:

11': Arter with a pass to Main, we've been threatening for a few minutes now non stop, Main turns by two defenders with a great move into the area, but he can't beat the keeper.

14': Clear cut chance for Alfreton, I'm not sure how it happened but they got a man behidn our defense... great save for Lynch.

19': Corner for us, its taken long to the far post, the keeper dives out for it and misses, but Main puts a header over the bar instead of into the empty net.

23': A run down the right sideline for alfreton, a nice cross into the 6 yard box, Matthew Wright runs on to it and heads it in. 0-1

25': We try to strike back immediately, Arter to main, Main is free in the area! Clear cut strike #2 for him... wide left. ugh.

47': Anane goes down hard after a tackle... he has to come out of the match immediately. Anthony Pulis is the only one who can come remotely close to playing DR.. Pulis moves to DR, Herd in for Anane, Herd MC.

HALF: Main is having a terrible game, and no one else is really playing great or anything. I tell the team I want to see more from them.

63': Danger i nour end... a long shot is rocketed at the net but Lynch makes the stop. We can't clear it out though, they reset and a header is off the crossbar and back into play, Arter clears it out finally.

65': Sole in for Main. I gave Main some time to turn his play aorund in the second half, but he just doesn't have it today.

77': Sloma in for an exhausted Arter.

83': Cross from Ademola into the area, Subotic heads it towards the net... keeper makes a nice save.

84': they get a breakaway chance on a counter, Striker Fisher with the ball running into the area. Mike Williams gets there and tries to tackle the ball away... blatant foul instead. Penalty. Their man steps up, takes it... LYNCH SAVES! We're still alive.

Overload strategy for the last 6 or 7 minutes... losing by a 2nd goal won't hurt us, maybe getting a point lets us clinch the title a day earlier. There's some fun when Lynch comes forward for a throwin deep in their area, and there's a great save by Lynch on our side after they get a counter attack going, but no more goals.

Alftreton 1 : 0 Woking

Fenton (7.1) and Pulis (7.2) are all we have to brag about toda. Main put up a 5.9 and was very poor.

Injury Update

Anane is out for 4 weeks, he actually BROKE his arm landing hard today, ouch!

Nikolaou is just recovered from his injury and can play the right side. But we're thin... I'll find a reserve to bring up too.

Not everyone played today, we're still 11 points up, but a couple playoff contenders now have 1 less match and could cut it to 8 with a win.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #138
Radii
Head Coach

FA Trophy Semifinal Draw

The draw for the semis is made before the quarters are played it would seem. If we win today we will host the winner of Alfreton and Accrington.

February 23rd, 2013

FA Trophy 4th Round

Woking @ Cheltenham

Cheltenham are 4:5 favorites at home, we're 3-1 dogs. We're 2-3-0 lifetime against them with a 2:2 draw at our place back in November. They currently sit in 14th place in the BS Premier.

More short rest, more lineup changes:

DEF: Williams/Thomas/Fenton/Nikolaou

I continue the tradition of starting Cousins for the FA Trophy.

3': Defender Terry Clarke with a yellow naer the penalty area. We can't do anything with the free kick though.

21': O'Sullivan cuts into the area and takes a pass after a throwin, he fires a hard shot that just hits the crossbar and goes over.

23': A strong attack by cheltenham, they get a clear cut chance as a man beats Fenton, Lynch makes the save though and turns it back and we clear out the corner.

25': Corner for us, taken short to Thomas, he gets a shot off but the keeper is right there.

36': They get a decent attack, a couple corners and such but can't threaten seriously. After a throwin we get an interception and quick long ball that Harsanyi gets to first, but he's not that far ahead of his man... the defense gets a step back in front to deflect his shot.

42': O'Sullivan and Sloma work a give and go that gets O'Sullivan forward and breaks down the defense a bit, Harsanyi in a good position... good save by the keeper.

43': Another breakaway, cousins with a very nice touch pass ahead to Harsanyi on a counter, the defense does just enough to force him a bit wide, and the Keeper is able ot make the save.

46': O'Sullivan is hurt... has to come out immediately. Terrible sign for us. Herd is in.

48': We concede a corner, they take a good one and a header is just over the bar.

HALF: No score, we've dominated possession 62/38 but the shots are about even and Cheltenham have managed to attack well.

53': Midfielder Emery with a yellow for a tackle on Arter.

57': Arter with a nice ball forward into the arae from about 40 yards out, McLaggon runs onto it and puts it in.... but just offsides... CLOSE, I was not sure if it would stand or not.

65': Bennett in for Sloma, Miquel in for Fenton, both exhausted.

70': Mike Williams a yellow.

74': Harsanyi gets behind the defense and runs into the area... another great save made by the keeper as Harsanyi is forced just slightly left and the keeper can take a good angle to make the stop.

84': One of those games... Nikolaou is hurt, and I'm out of subs. He cannot continue, so I drop to a 3-4-3 formation for the rest of it.

Cheltenham 0 : 0 Woking

Their keeper is man of the match. Nikolaou(7.2), Williams (7.1) play well for us. Sloma had a poor match.

Injury Update

Stelios Nikolaou will miss 4 weeks with a thigh strain.

Joe O'Sullivan hurts a knee and is out for 2 months.

Pretty devastating match there.

I call up two reserves, D RL James Oliver-Pearce and ML Josh Coke. Pulis is actually not terrible at DR. Herd and Fenton can play it but are very awkward there.

I'm more comfortable with Josh Coke than with Oliver-Pearce, so my plan is to have Pulis or Herd play DR most of the time, use Sloma to cover MC, and Coke will back up Bennett at AML, trying to keep Oliver-Pearce off the field unless necessary.

We have a replay at home against Cheltenham in 4 days.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:51 AM   #139
Radii
Head Coach

February 27th, 2013

FA Trophy Fourth Round Replay

Cheltenham @ Woking

Perhaps I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised we are underdogs against Cheltenham at home. They're 6:4 favorites.

Today's lineup:

DEF: Miquel/Thomas/Fenton/Pulis
MC: Sloma/Arter

Attacking from the outset in this one.

8': Miquel with a nice tackle to keep a guy from an open look in our area.

18': Strong attack for us, threatening multiple times... a cross from Pulis into the area, a header is saved, Bennett to the rebound but he's way up at the left end line and his attempt is off the post. A clear cut chance soon after from Main is saved.

20': Harsanyi with a great through ball to Main, he strikes it, blocked by the keeper, but Ademola pounces on the rebound and puts it in! 1-0

25': Bennett down the left sideline, he feeds Sloma who puts the ball forward, Bennett runs on to it, clear cut strike from him 10 yards out... right at the keeper.

35': Main has picked up a knock... he's showing as injured, down to 73%.

HALF: We control 55% of the possession, complete 73% of our passes, and take 10 shots to their 2.

47': Main with a beautiful through ball between two defenders that Bennett runs on to in the area... its our 4th clear cut chance. Bennett though, and this is becoming a pattern, simply runs too damn far with the ball before shooting and hands it to the keeper.

52': Harsanyi with some serious hustle.. a long ball is played forward, Harsanyi outruns the defense, controls the ball o nthe right side of the area, lofts a ball into the 6 yard box and Main heads it in! 2-0

54': I'm looking at subs and I see blinking lights, uhoh. WHOA. throw-in for cheltenham, a shot is taken from... 20 yards away all the way on the right edge of the penalty area, its a bending ball with some force and Lynch just doesn't get to it. Amazing (lucky?) strike. 2-1

60': Pulis goes down on a sliding tackle and needs "lengthy treatment" *sighs*

61': A long ball sets up a break for Cheltenham, a centering pass leaves a man one on one with Lynch... shot is taken, SAVE!

66': Herd in for Sloma, Subotic for Main. We'll check main's injury after the match.

70': Ademola in the right palce at the right time again! Herd with a great ball forward to bennett, who ones again strikes it right at the keeper, its saved but not held... it falls to Ademola and he puts it in! 3-1

We defend and don't let anything happen the rest of the way.

Woking 3 : Cheltenham 1

We took 18 shots, 9 on target, an astounding 5 clear cut chances. They took 7 shots, 2 on target. A great performance.

Ademola scores 2 goals and is man of the match with a 9.0 rating. The other goal comes form Main, he has 1 goal/1 ast for a 7.4 rating. Other assists from Harsanyi(7.6) and Bennett (6.9).

Elsewhere: Pulis (7.0), Miquel (7.1), and Arter(7.1).

We'll play Accrington in the FA Trophy Semifinals. The draw put us at home but its a 2 leg semi, we're home for leg 1.

Injury Update

Main will be out for 4 weeks with a thigh strain he picked up in today's match. Sole has been very little used lately, he'll see more time now in rotation with Subotic and Harsanyi the rest of the way.

Two matches are re-arranged for the semis. March will be a lot busier for us now. Its pretty important to lock up this league title as early as possible.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:11 AM   #140
Radii
Head Coach

March 2nd, 2013

St. Albans(18th) @ Woking (1st)

We're 1:2 favorites at home here. We're 2-1-0 against them, winning 2-1 on the road earlier in the year.

Main is hurt, Harsanyi is exhausted after the last run of matches. Pulis is gassed after the last match, he got hurt a bit and was run ragged. This leaves us with a pretty thin lineup today:

DEF: Williams/Thomas/Miquel/Fenton
AM: Coke/McLaggon
ST: Subotic/Sole

this is probably the weakest team I've put out there for a league match.

1': Arter foward to Coke, he runs laterally from the left sideline to the middle of the field before firing a shot from 22ish yards out... it skims the bar and goes over, barely missing.

13': A counter for us, Subotic to Sole who makes a move to beat his man, generates a clear cut chance in the area... and its saved.

18': Subotic receives a pass 30 yards out, runs by his man, takes a shot from 20 yards out and fires just wide.

19': A corner comes in, there's a foul going up for the header! Penalty! sole strikes it, GOAL! 1-0 Miquel drew the penalty so he'll get the assist I believe.

25': Sole and a defender go for a ball in midfield, Sole goes down hard... he's hurt and coming out. Cousins is in.

33': Counter attack from St Albans, their striker Parker gets the ball at midfield and runs past 3 defenders of ours 1 at a time on his way to the area and a goal. If that was one ofour guys i'd be a little more excited about the description... but yeah, it wasnt. 1-1

36': Reserve power!! Herd with a ball up to Cousins, Cousins with a through ball into the area, Josh Coke runs on to it and places a nice shot by the keeper!!! 2-1

39': Great offense here.. Herd to Cousins, he passes back to Arter, foward to subotic, good control and a touch pass back over to Cousins after the defense starts to close down, Cousins fires from just inside the 18 yard line, GOAL! 3-1

43': Mike williams with ayellow.

44': Arter with a yellow.

HALF: I was worried after we let them tie it up and lost Sole to an injury. I'm still worried about that, we need to stop losing people for the rest of the year. But we've recovered nicely here to lead 3-1. 11 shots for us, 3 for them, that pretty much sums thiings up.

55': Williams with a poor header trying to clear the ball out of the attack. They pass to striker Johnson who beats one man and takes a difficult long shot... into the right side of the net, Lynch had no shot. 3-2

65': a long goal kick by St Albans... their man Parker runs on to it and he is just way faster than our defenders... he gets into the area and simply fires a shot wide from point blank range.

65': Sloma in for an exhausted Herd.

65': I drop back to a counter attacking strat, hoping not to get burned.

77': Oliver-Pearce in for Fenton at DR. 3 Reserves in (if you count Cousins).

Woking 3 : 2 St Albans

A much needed win as we are starting to suffer from some serious attrition.

One of their strikers is man of the match today.

Goals from: Cousins (7.7 + 1 ast), Coke (7.2), and Sole (6.8).

Assists: Miquel (7.0), Subotic (6.9)

No one else over 7.0.

Injury Update

Sole with an ankle injury, 7-8 weeks... done for the year basically.

Current Injuries:

Defense: Nikolaou, Ricketts, Anane

Midfield: O'Sullivan

Attack: Main, Sole

We've been relatively deep all year but this is starting to put a serious strain on things.

Standings Update

Everyone but York has 10 matches to go up near the top of the table. York has 11.

1. Woking - 76 pts
----
2. Cambridge - 68 pts
3. Crawley - 67 pts
4. Forest Green - 65 pts
5. York - 62 pts (*** 1 less match played)
----
6. Gateshead - 60 pts
7. Accrington - 59 pts
8. Rushden - 57 pts
9. Alfreton - 57 pts

8 points clear of 2nd with 10 to go.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:25 AM   #141
Radii
Head Coach

March 9th, 2013

Woking (1st) @ Torquay(13th)

We're underdogs today on the road, they're 5:4 to win. Our first ever match vs Torquay was earlier in the season, a 2:2 draw at our place.

Torquay's Chris Zebroski(broski for short I am sure) leads them with 15 goals.

Today's lineup:

DEF: Williams/Thomas/Miquel/Pulis

We open in a counter attacking mode on the road today.

10': Williams with a yellow card going for a tackle.

11': Broski does it all himself... runs across the outside of the area and places a great long shot from 22 yards out past Lynch. 0-1

11': Screw counter... just attacking now.

20': Herd is down in our end.. but he gets back up ok, just a little more tired today.

25': Great ball from Arter to Bennett, and once again Bennett just doens't shoot when the opportunity seems best.

30': Harsanyi brought down just outside the area, a yellow card for defender Ellis... Thomas misses a free kick, actually deflected off the wall but we can't do anything on the corner.

38': Some nice passing by Torquay, midfielder Wroe has the ball in the area, Herd misses a tackle, he gets a good look and puts it home past Lynch. 0-2

HALF: Worst we've played in some time. I don't see much I can change though. Play better!

46': Scorer Wroe with a yellow tackling Harsanyi.

50': Subotic is trying ,man... a great pass to McLaggon who has the ball deflected away before he can shoot, back out wide to Subotic, eh puts up a cross and Bennett gets his head onto it with some power, but the keeper is there. Two perfect balls by Subotic.

54': a great near post strike by midfielder O'kane for Torquay, just the kind of thing I want to see Bennett do when he gets free in the area, ergh. 0-3

67': Cousins, coke, Oliver-Pearce in, Bennett, Harsanyi, Pulis out. Just getting my backups in for a game that is really over.

71': Cousins with a beautiful feed from the right sideline into the area for Arter. Arter with our first legit clear cut chance on the day and he puts it into the post.

76': Subotic and Cousins a give n go, Subotic takes the return pass and gets forward, the defense closes down before he can get all the way into the area though, and he puts a shot over the bar from 20 yards out.

86': Oliver-Pearce with a poor pass... they intercept and the counter is on. A nice run into the area, a pass to a free man and a solid strike cap this horrid game for us. 0-4

Torquay 4 : 0 Woking

I bust out the ANGRY pep talk for this one. We'll see what that does.

Pulis 5.9, Thomas 4.9, McLaggon 5.7, Harsanyi 5.4.

I am critical of Thomas in the media, that isn't gonna fly.

Cambridge tie today, so they gain 1 point on us. We are now up 7 points with 9 matches to go.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #142
Radii
Head Coach

-- Aswad Thomas felt my criticism of him following his 4.9 outing in our last match was a little harsh, though he is under no illusions that he shouldn't look to up his level of play. Whatever works for you buddy.

March 12th, 2013

Rushden(16-12-9, 7th) @ Woking(23-7-7, 1st)

We are underdogs at home today, Rushden is 5:4 to win. We need to turn that crap around and start beating up on some teams again. We are 1-1-3 lifetime against these guys. They beat us 2:0 at their place earlier in the year.

Today's lineup:

DEF: Miquel/Fenton/Thomas/Pulis
MC: Sloma/Herd
ST: Subotic/Harsanyi

Subotic hasn't scored in 785 minutes. Sheesh.

6': Subotic crosses the ball into the area, Ademola heads it down, it falls to the end line wide of the net, Harsanyi hustles to get there before anyone else and slides the ball in from what seems like an 89 degree angle into the net. Great goal! 1-0

18': We let them get this one back way too easily, a run down the right sideline, a nice pass ahead and striker Bowman cuts behind our central defenders, nice control by him to get a shot off quickly before we can recover. 1-1

19': Fenton with a yellow.

22': Sloma to Subotic, Subotic does all the work himself, beating his man and getting into the area. But his shot is right at the keeper and saved.

35': Harsanyi plays the ball into the right side of the area, Ademola runs on to it, but he's a bit deep. Its crowded back theer but he puts a pass right to Harsanyi's feet, Harsanyi with the shot... blocked by the keeper.

HALF: Things are pretty even. They have more shots (6 to 4) but we have more on target (3 to 2). Each team with one clear cut chance and the one goal of course. Possession has been even.

47': Rushden controls thigns at the start, a nice give and go generates a pretty good look that Lynch has to save.

55': Harsanyi with a great move to beat two defenders, but he can't put his shot on target.

64': Our second clear cut chance, Harsanyi plays a graet through ball to Subotic, he takes aim, and hits the far post from point blank range.

65': Oliver-Pearce is in for Miquel at DL.

77': Arter in for Sloma

80': Cousins in for Subotic

82': A throwin gets Arter the ball in the area, he makes a dribble, creates a little space, and puts a shot into the side netting.

85': Lynch saves the day, they get a good look from 18 yards out and Lynch blocks the shot.

88': Another good look for Rushden, its again from decenlty long range but a solid on target strike, Lynch dives and knocks it away.

Both teams try to attack for the winning goal, neither team succeeds at all.

Woking 1 : 1 Rushden

Harsanyi is great today, 8.8 rating with a goal, winning headers, making key passes, he's doing everything for us.

Ademola has the assist and a 7.5 rating, Pulis a 7.1. That's it today. Thomas was poor in the first half but picked things up in the second.

Cambridge loses today, Forest Green wins and we gain a point on the field but now there are two teams tied for 2nd:

1. Woking - 77 pts
2. Forest Green - 69 pts
3. Cambridge - 69 pts
4. Crawley - 67 pts
5. York - 65 pts
--
6. Gateshead 64 pts
7. Accrington 62 pts
Old 08-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #143
Radii
Head Coach

March 16th, 2013

FA Trophy Semifinal First Leg

Accrington @ Woking

Accrington is 7th in the BS Premier right now. We're 1-1-1 lifetime against them, winning on the road.

Today's lineup:

DEF: Miquel/Williams/Thomas/Fenton

Nikolaou and Anane are approaching readiness again which will help out a ton for our final few games in april. For now though we're still very thin on defense. Pulis gets the day off today, he needs it.

20': We are in control early on, 63/37 possession, 6 shots to 1, nothing seriously threatening but we are keeping the pressure on.

40': After a very boring 20 minutes i'm shocked awake here... Arter to Cousins, Cousins runs a short ways before firing a shot from 25 yards out that the keeper dives for but cannot stop. It looked like another boring long shot but holy crap what a beauty of a strike!! 1-0

HALF: We take 9 shots, 7 of them are long ones though. The only reason I hadn't changed my instructions to work the ball into the box was because Harsanyi is more than capable of putting one in... then Cousins does it from a range i didn't realize he had. 63/37 possession, we've allowed 3 shots now, just one on target.

50': Arter shrugs off a tackle after a throwin, runs into the left side of the area, fires a hard shot but right at the keeper, its blocked and we can't get to the rebound.

63': Herd picks up a yellow.

69': Oliver-Paerce and Sloma in, Fenton(at DR) and Herd out.

93': a long pass from Arter to cousins from midfield. cousins takes a shot from 15 yards out, its deflected, but falls to McLaggon who puts it easily into the net, that'll seal it! 2-0

Woking 2 : 0 Accrington

Arter earns man of the match today, he's credited with both assists(no idea why he got it for the second goal?), 8.7 rating.

Cousins with a goal(7.8) and McLaggon with a goal (7.4). the defense was strong today too. Miquel (7.6), Thomas (7.4) and Williams(7.4) hold things very nicely in the back.

That last minute goal is huge heading into the second leg of the semis. I believe we have a league match coming up before that second leg though.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #144
Radii
Head Coach

--Stelios Nikolaou has resumed full training. That is great news.

-- 3 days later, Ricky Anane has resumed full training.

March 20th, 2013

Maidenhead (5-8-25, 24th) @ Woking (23-8-7, 1st)

We are huge 2:5 favorites today. We are 4-3-0 lifetime against them. We destroyed them 5:0 at their house in October.

Anane and Nikolaou aren't ready just yet.

ST: Subotic/Harsanyi

8': Their left midfielder burns right by Miquel in embarrassing fashion, letting him tear down the left sideline and place a perfect cross into the area, striker Dimitrov heads it in, it hits the bottom fo the crossbar and into the net. 0-1

17': sloma plays a ball into the area that Harsanyi gets to first, its our first clear cut chance on the day but he doesn't quite place it well enogh and the keeper is able to make the save.

21': Maidenhead take their second shot, another cross in from the right and a header... Lynch gets his hands to it just enough to punch it away.

30': Harsanyi plays a ball out to the right to Ademola, he lifts up a soft cross into the area, Subotic gets his head on it but its barely wide.

40': Miquel foward to Bennett, he crosses it in, Ademola is in the 6 yard box and heads it down and into the net! 1-1

HALF: We control possession for most of the half, take 10 shots, putting 5 on target compared to just 2 shots/1 on target for Maidenhead... but we'er even in goals. We need to pull away in this second half, we are way better than this.

52': Hey look, Harsanyi plays a great ball to Bennett who runs with it instead of shooting and kills a chance to score. This kid is just afraid to shoot i guess.

69': Cousins for Harsanyi, Herd for Sloma, they need a rest pretty bad here.

74': We steal the ball in midfield, Arter to Subotic who fires a pass to Cousins in space, Cousins into the area, he beats the keeper! 2-1

80': We pass the ball around seemingly forever, great control in their end, finally Herd makes his way to the right corner and sends a cross into the 6 yard box. Subotic gets his head on it and puts it in! 3-1

83': They aren't going to make this easy. A cross from the left side is headed in by Dimitrov. We had 3 defenders near him but he broke to the right spot to receive the cross and none of our guys followed to challenge. 3-2

Woking 3 : 2 Maidenhead

We really should win this one a little easier, but a win is a win and we needed to get back on the winning track in league play pretty badly.

Subotic has a goal and assist, 8.9, man of the match. Other goals from Ademola (7.9) and Cousins (7.2). Assists from Bennett (8.0) and Herd (7.0).

Thomas struggled again, a 6.3 rating when everyone else was in the high 6's. Dunno what to do about that kid.

Subotic ends an insane streak of nearly 900 minutes without a goal. 5 league goals justifies $1500/wk right?

7 matches left, 8 points ahead of Forest Green. On the off chance that we let them catch up, we are +30 in goal differential and they are +27. No one else in the league is better than +17. If they catch up that means we are tying or losing and they are winning so that would be a bad thing for the goal differential down the road.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:43 AM   #145
Radii
Head Coach

--Curtis Main begins full training again.

--Stelios Nikolaou will be called up for a Cyprus U20 match on March 26th.

March 23, 2013

FA Trophy Semifinal Second Leg

Woking(2) @ Accrington(0)

We're pretty tired today as a group, presumably Accrington are as well.

DEF: Williams/Fenton/Thomas/Pulis
MC: Sloma/Herd

Counter-attacking today, remember we just need to hang on to a 2 goal lead.

23': We shoot on a free kick, way wide, but noteworthy as its the first shot of the match by either team.

25': They intercept a pass by Pulis in our half of the field and counter very quickly, one pass foward, a through ball and a shot by Lynch. 0-1 (2-1)

35': We earn a corner, Sloma curls it in, Fenton runs on to it and Heads it in! 1-1 (3-1)

37': They get a guy in the area but Pulis makes a nice tackle to prevent a shot.

39': they don't manage a shot but scare the hell out of me, the ball is in our penalty area seemingly forever. When we do finally clear it, we counter quickly, Harsanyi with a long ball forward to McLaggon, he runs free into the area and has a clear cut strike... saved by the keeper.

HALF: So far so good.

48': Harsanyi with a yellow.

51': We allow a through ball into the area, Mike Williams brings his man down and that's a penalty. They hit it. 1-2 (3-2

70': We back off to defend all out. Lets ohld this lead.

76': Arter in for Sloma, Ademola in for McLaggon.

83': WTF. And there's the tying goal. They win a ball in midfield, pass it forward, midfielder Kerry with a strike from 25 yards out. And that is that. We're all tied up. 1-3 (3-3)

FULL TIME: We just seem to not do well when we are in defensive mode with this team. I use my last sub going into extra time to bring out Pulis and in Anane.

91': A long cross and a header just over the bar for Accrington, scary attack right off the bat.

95': They ahve put 3 headers just over the bar now, sheesh.

97': Harsanyi with an amazing run, Arter steals a ball in midfield, Harsanyi receives a pass over 40 yards out, runs by 3 men, into the area... and cannot beat the keeper, just a brilliant run, but alas.

103': Anane goes down passing the ball.. no one near him

104': Cross into the area by Ademola, Harsanyi heads it, saved.

ET HALF: Nothing I can do here, lets win this w/o penalties.

106': a long shot by Arter... wide.

110': Fenton goes down and stays down. 50% fitness. We are dying here. He goes off with the doc but comes back.

113': Long ball to the right side ofr Cousins, he controls and has a step... offsides. BS!

117': Herd goes down in midfield after a tackle, foul on the other team, no card, Herd 51%...

119': long goal kick by the keeper, they get a striker ahead of the defense, but a poor first touch sends it right to lynch.

FULL TIME: and its off to penalties

Penalty Kicks:

Arter up first for us... wide 0-0

Proctor for Acrington, beats lynch, 0-1

Williams for us, right side of the net, 1-1

Kerry for them, left side, in, 1-2

Cousins steps up, left side, keeper dove the wrong way, 2-2

Grant for them, left side, we need a stop somewhere 2-3

Herd for us, keeper picks the wrong way, in, 3-3

Green for them, hits the left post... bounces in, ERGH! 3-4

Harsanyi to keep us alive, just under the diving keeper, 4-4

Last chance, Turner for Accrington, Lynch gets ready, PK is taken straight on, lynch dives, no luck. 4-5

Accrington 3 : 1 Woking (3-3, 5-4 PK)

We just did not do a good job today, there is no reasonable excuse to lose when starting with a 2 goal advantage.

Fenton with our goal today, 7.6. Sloma the assist, 7.2. Herd puts up a 7.0, Coke a 5.8, Pulis a 5.9, Thomas a 5.4, some very poor defense all around.

Injury Update

Anane is out for about 2 weeks.

It is really a good thing we won our last league match and kept our lead up. After going 120 minutes today, we have to come back and play Cheltenham in 4 days.

1. Woking - 80 pts (39 matches played)
2. Forest Green - 75 pts (40 matches played)
3. Cambridge - 70 pts (40 matches played)

Cambridge are basically done now. We are up 5 on Forest Green but we also have one extra match to play.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #146
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Ouch. Giving up 2 goal leads is tough to swallow, even if it is on the road. PK's are such a crap shoot too. I hate that games end that way. I wish they would keep going until a team scored. Eventually conditioning would get so low that mistakes would be made and it would reward managers who used their subs better.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #147
Radii
Head Coach

-- Stelios Nikolaou plays the full match in a U21 Cyprus win over Denmark, earning a 7.1 rating.

March 27th, 2013

Woking (24-8-7, 1st) @ Cheltenham(12-11-16, 17th)

We played Cheltenham in the FA Trophy this year, twice due to a replay. We're 3-4-0 lifetime against them, and 1-2-0 this year. We tied 0:0 on the road during the FA Trophy. We are very small 6:4 favorites today.

Today's lineup, amidst more tirednes and injury(Anane back out) and trave(Nikolaou):

3': Bennett with a nice run down the left sideline, crosses into the area, subotic heads it, just wide!

4': Counter for Cheltenham, striker White fires a shot from 18 yards out, its parried away by Lynch, falls to another striker, and he puts it easily in. 0-1

12': A beautiful counter for Woking. Arter lofts a ball to Harsanyi who beats the defense down the left side. He draws the center of the defense, slides the ball over to Subotic who is now running completely free, Subotic puts it in! 1-1

37': Subotic picks up the ball 25 yards out, makes a great cut by a defender, generates a clear cut chance in the area but its well saved.

42': A corner for Cheltenham, they head the ball, its off Lynch... off the right post... back into the center... cleared off the line by Arter. WHEW.

HALF: Its 1-1 but could have been crazy. We have 5 shots, 2 on target, but 3 clear cut chances. Cheltenham has 5 shots, 3 on target, but FOUR clear cut chances. A couple easy lookign goals off target, a couple great saves by the keepers.

61': a long free kick taken by their keeper. Its played amazingly by striker White, incredible first touch in the area slightly behind the defense, and he takes one dribble and puts it in. Lynch seemed like he coudl have dove for it and didn't. 1-2

61': Herd in for a tired Sloma.

85': Holy crap like 25 minutes just went by witout breaking in to the highlights.

94': One last chance, a cross comes into the area by Bennett, Subotic strikes it on a volley but right at the keeper.

Cheltenham 2 : 1 Woking

Subotic with a 7.3 and the only goal. Assist by Harsanyi (6.7). We controlled 57% of the possession and generated 11 shots, 3 clear cut strikes(all in the first half) but just could not get it done.

That loss means we're only 5 up with 6 left.

1. Woking - 80 pts
2. Forest Green - 75 pts
Old 08-05-2010, 01:14 AM   #148
Radii
Head Coach

We're nearing the end of the year and had ignored a few key contracts:

--Nick Fenton will take $650/wk. He's getting older but that's less than he makes now.

-- Giuseppe Sole has proved he can score at every level so far, he's got a 7.28 avg rating when I have gotten him in this year. I offer him $775/wk, what he's making now.

-- Zoltan Harsanyi still wants $1600/wk. I give it to him now that we're in April. He's clearly a guy who can at least play at the next level. He has a lot of interest from other teams and I could actually haev a shot at selling him off if i needed to in League 1.

-- Chris Herd seems to worry about not having a job. He's making $1100/wk now and is willing to take $850/wk. this wasn't the case earlier when I looked. that will help offset Harsanyi's raise quite a bit.

-- Stelios Nikolaou wnats $525/wk next year. Sure thing.

-- Mark Ricketts remains the big unknown. I really feel like Anane is just as good, the issue I might have is a little upheavel because he is well liked. But I'm goin to just deal with taht. Ricketts isn't getting a new contract. He's stlil out for ~9 months, I don't think he would be able to start in League 2, I have coverage for him, no loyalty in sports.

-- Maidenhead with a 5-8-27 record and only 23 points, have 'clinched' relegation with 6 full matches to go.

April 1st, 2013

Woking (24-8-8, 1st) @ Barrow (14-9-17, 15th)

My assistant manager recommends that we tightly mark "Jean-Louis Akpa-Akpro", a striker with 10 goals/7 assists. I don't really care about the advice, but here's a guy with hyphenated first and last names! Never seen that before.

Barrow are 6:4 favorites today. We're 3-1-1 against them lifetime. We beat them 3:0 at our place.

Jason walker and the above mentioned Akpa-Akpro are strikers worth mentioning. Walker has 19 goals in 36 matches. Akpa-Akpro has 10 goals/7 assists, two very good players.

Curtis Main is back and he's going straight in the lineup. Harsanyi needs a day off.. at least not a start.

3': Arter with a yellow

5': Welcome back Curits Main!! Bennett out left, he makes a nice pass to Subotic, Subotic turns and plays the ball into the area, Main gets there first and beats the keeper! 1-0

8': Main beats two defenders, gets a shot off before a defender catches back up but its saved nicely.

10': Akpa-Akpro gets behind our defense, seems like he could run all the way into the area and take his time, but he takes it quickly and puts it way over.

22': Striker Walker beats Williams, generates Barrow's first clear cut strike and puts it off the right post and out.

42': Defender Dunleavy with a yellow going up for a header on a long ball.

HALF: After that first 20 minutes, where there were a lot of exciting runs, not much happened at all.

56': Fenton picks up a small injury going fo ra tackle in midfield. He can keep going though.

57': a long cross from the left side near mdifield by Barrow, there's a header... off the right post.

60': near spectacular play... Arter with a ball forward into the right side of the area, McLaggon heads it into the center, Subotic appaers to control the ball with his chest and volley it before it hits the ground... JUSt wide.

69': Herd in for Sloma

73': Midfielder Inman with a hard tackle on arter, yellow.

73': Arter gets up and takes the free kick from ~45 yards out as soon as the ball is placed, it seems the defense wasn't ready and players were mulling around the penalty area. Subotic was ready though, he gets up and heads the ball into the net! 2-0

76': Defender Danville trips Bennett running down the sideline.

80': Coke in for Bennett, Ademola in for McLaggon.

88': Arter to Herd, he plays a ball into the area that Ademola runs on to, good first touch, shot, goal! 3-0

Barrow 0 : 3 Woking

I'm glad we got going on the right track here today, because the next game is a big one.

Subotic has a goal and an assist, 8.0 rating, man of the match.

Goals: Main (7.9), Ademola (7.3).

Assists: Herd (6.9), Arter (7.2).

Elsewhere: Nikolaou (7.8), Miquel (7.2), Fenton (7.4), Williams (7.1), Bennett (7.1).

Forest Green crushes Ebbsfleet 4-1.

1st: Woking - 83 pts (+32 differential)
2nd: Forest Green - 78 pts (+31 differential)

April 6th: Forest Green @ Woking.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:03 AM   #149
Radii
Head Coach

-- Chris Herd rejects his new contract offer. I didn't catch it at the time but he wanted $425/game appearance fee for dropping his salary. I'm only allowed to offer $300. I double his signing bonus and give him a bigger goal bonus and try again.

-- A couple days later, Herd accepts the deal. Whew.

-- The biggest news though, Zoltan Harsanyi signs a 2 year deal with us at $1600/wk. This is bigger than Subotic is making now, but Harsanyi seems clearly worth it. He has 4 or 5 League 1 clubs interested in him, but seems happy to stay here.

April 6th, 2013

Forest Green (22-12-7, 2nd) @ Woking(25-8-8, 1st)

Forest Green are 5:4 to win today, we're 7:4 despite being at home. We're 2-0-1 against them lifetime so far. We won 2:1 at their place early in the year.

With 5 matches left we have a 5 point lead. If we win here we all but put it away, 8 points with 4 to play would be just about insurmountable. A draw would be ok too, though I'm not playing for that.

Anane is back in full training again, enough so that he can come on in reserve. Pulis is, IMO, our second best MC behind O'Sullivan, so now that I don't desperately need him in defense, he is right back in the middle where he belongs. Main is tired after his first match coming off injury, he's available as a sub as well.

Full Match highlights today.

6': Miquel goes down hurt defending a corner. He comes off for a couple minutes and then is right back in the action.

18': we take our first shot, a long shot by Harsanyi that isn't close. Forest Green has one shot too, a free kick off the wall.

20': Lynch comes up big twice... a cross into the area for Forest Green to the far post, its headed.. Lynch saves, but can't hold it. A rebound is fought over briefly before being shot, Lynch saves this one. The cross was far post which Lynch has traditionally played very poorly, I'm glad to see he was ready there. The header was a clear cut strike that he saved.

24': Harsanyi with a shot from 35 yards out that hits the crossbar, close!

26': Pulis controls the ball just outside their penalty area, he threads a ball through two defenders, Ademola is there, our first clear cut chance... he blasts it right at the keeper.

30': Forest Green control the ball outside our area, a throughball to the right side, they get a man behind our defense, he takes their second clear cut chance of the day... and simply puts it wide. Lucky.

41': A nice move forward after a battle in the midfield for possession, Arter to Subotic to Bennett who has a decent chance from the left side of the area, but the keeper makes the save.

HALF: Subotic and Harsanyi both are under 6.0 for the half. Their strikers are doing the same. About half our team is "playing nervously". Everyone knows this is a big game I suppose. We have 10 shots, they have 6, but we only put 3 on target and they put 2 on target. We dominate possession, completing nearly 80% of our passes, they are a little below 70%.

60': Things have gotten a lot more defensive.

66': Main in for Subotic. Harsanyi is playing worse than Subotic... but I think Harsanyi/Main is my best up front combo at the moment.

71': McLaggon in for Ademola

75': Herd in for Pulis. I turn on the attack

83': Lynch saves the day, a long ball goes forward, they get a man behind the defense, Lynch is quick to run out and he blocks the shot, we're able to clear it away.

4 minutes of extra time

90': McLaggon with a slide tackle inches outside of our penalty area. Free kick... off the wall for a corner. Short corner, a hard shot is deflected wide for a throwin.

92': We still haven't cleared the damn ball but we have pushed them back a little.

93': We finally take the ball away and try to counter. We earn a throwin, there's a long cross taken by McLaggon, its played well and Harsanyi gets it down but his shot is saved easily.

Woking 0 : 0 Forest Green

I clearly would have rather put the season away today with a win, but a draw is fine too.

One of their defenders earns man of the match.

On our end:

Nikolaou (7.2), Miquel (7.1). Harsanyi is way off with a 5.5. He took 6 shots and put only 1 on target.

We officially clinch a playoff spot today, but I really don't' care at all about that. Anything but a 1st place finish is a total failure at this point.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 AM   #150
Radii
Head Coach

Our remaining schedule:

4/13: @ Crawley (6th)
4/20: vs York (4th)
4/23: @ Ebbsfleet (10th)
4/27: vs Accrington (11th)

Forest Green's schedule:

4/13: vs Wrexham (14th)
4/20: @ Cambridge (3rd)