Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #151
General Mike
Pro Starter

Every time this thread gets bumped, I cry.

Sorry MizzouRah and corbes.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #152
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
Cassidy, 1998 - Dec. 22, 2011. A yellow lab who went blind at the age of two and deaf at the age of eleven and never once did anything with less than full enthusiasm and joy. A trusty companion and an inspiration to always go with the flow. She'll be missed.

Aww man. My condolences to you too corbes
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #153
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Every time this thread gets bumped, I cry.

Sorry MizzouRah and corbes.

Yeah - seriously. Tearing up right now.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #154
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Cassidy, 1998 - Dec. 22, 2011. A yellow lab who went blind at the age of two and deaf at the age of eleven and never once did anything with less than full enthusiasm and joy. A trusty companion and an inspiration to always go with the flow. She'll be missed.

Sorry to hear that. It's amazing how dogs can actually be so inspiring.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #155
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Sad corbes
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #156
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

So sorry for your loss corbes, like others I always dread seeing this thread bumped knowing that someone is suffering the loss of a trusted companion.

Cassidy indeed is inspiration RIP
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #157
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #158
Castlerock
High School Varsity

so sorry
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #159
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Very sorry to hear of the recent losses. May your families find peace during such a difficult time.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #160
molson
General Manager

It's kind of cool that these dogs have earned sympathizers all over the world on this message board. Just from being good dogs. I (like probably a bunch of people) get sad and think about every dog posted on here, and I think Cassidy and Dozier and all the others would be amused by that if they knew.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #161
rowech
Pro Starter

Looking for advice. My wife is a huge dog lover, I'm not so that's making our decision somewhat difficult. Our dog was diagnosed as diabetic and she's losing her eyesight. She's just a wee Sheltie so the cost of insulin/syringes isn't too bad so that's not a factor.

The blindness is what I'm worried about. She's 10 + 2 months and I'm thinking she's still seeing some but she's not seeing all. She's run into things the last couple of weeks. Things that have always been in the same spots.

So, my question is, when her sight goes completely, is it right to keep a dog going who can't see at all? Is it possible they can adjust?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #162
molson
General Manager

Tough one. I've definitely heard of happy blind dogs who've adjusted - if they know the layout of the house and yard and nothing changes, they can get by. That's a burden though to the people, other pets, and really, who knows if the dog is having a great time either. I'd say give it a little time and try to see how she's doing, but you're not a horrible person if you decide it's not working out.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #163
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Rowech,
Our dog (Cassidy--and thanks for the many condolences above) went blind at the age of two and spent eleven happy years as a blind dog. The advice our vet gave when she was going blind is that each dog handles it slightly differently. I would focus less on bumping into things (she will learn to navigate by other senses soon) than on anxiety. If she becomes anxious, pay attention to whether anxiety is interfering with her quality of life. If she doesn't become anxious, then, she will probably be okay. Dogs do not rely nearly as much on sight as people do (smell is their primary sense).
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #164
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I was on vacation in Istanbul last month and saw a really neat Greco-Roman grave marker that an owner had put up for his dog - really shows you that the way we feel for our pets is not a modern thing at all.

The text of the marker - "His owner has buried the dog Parthenope, that he played with, in gratitude for this mutual happiness. Love is rewarding, like the one for this dog: having been a friend to my owner, I have deserved this grave.

Looking at this, find yourself a worthy friend who is both ready to love you while you are still alive and also will care for your body after you die."
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #165
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Honestly I'm somewhat relieved to see this thread bumped without a sad story. I always like...dread opening it when it pops up a little, because I know it'll get me crying.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #166
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Rowech,
Our dog (Cassidy--and thanks for the many condolences above) went blind at the age of two and spent eleven happy years as a blind dog. The advice our vet gave when she was going blind is that each dog handles it slightly differently. I would focus less on bumping into things (she will learn to navigate by other senses soon) than on anxiety. If she becomes anxious, pay attention to whether anxiety is interfering with her quality of life. If she doesn't become anxious, then, she will probably be okay. Dogs do not rely nearly as much on sight as people do (smell is their primary sense).

Thanks very much for this.

I'm just not an animal person so I want to make the best decision because ultimately, I know it will be up to me. My wife said tonight, as she was breaking down, "the dog's our baby". Now I know part of this is her inability to have children but I also worry the attachment just isn't right in that sense. The line still has to be drawn that she's a pet. Member of our family -- absolutely but we can't keep her going just for us.

I know my wife would keep her going at all costs and I know at some point, I'll have to step in and say when it's time but I don't want to make a horrible mistake of doing that way too early and regretting it.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #167
Dreghorn2
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Honestly I'm somewhat relieved to see this thread bumped without a sad story. I always like...dread opening it when it pops up a little, because I know it'll get me crying.

Yes me too, but i always have to come in and give condolences despite how sad it makes me feel.
Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #168
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

I'm just not an animal person so I want to make the best decision because ultimately, I know it will be up to me. My wife said tonight, as she was breaking down, "the dog's our baby". Now I know part of this is her inability to have children but I also worry the attachment just isn't right in that sense. The line still has to be drawn that she's a pet. Member of our family -- absolutely but we can't keep her going just for us.

I know my wife would keep her going at all costs and I know at some point, I'll have to step in and say when it's time but I don't want to make a horrible mistake of doing that way too early and regretting it.

This is the difficult thing about pet ownership. You get a dog or cat and know that unless something horrible happens to you, you will outlive the animal. Yet you get attached and it becomes so hard to make the decision when the time comes.

You are right in thinking that she is a pet. If she's not doing well, then you have to make the call. You have to do what is right for the animal. If you can't make that decision, you shouldn't become a pet owner.

That said, I think most dogs handle blindness ok. They start to figure out where things are. As was said above, monitor the anxiety and her mood. If she's still a happy dog, there is no need to make a rash decision.

There are two types of dog owners. . . one type wants to get a replacement the second their dog dies.(I'm this type, I want a new puppy, I like having dogs in my life) Other people want to wait 6 mo., a year or sometimes never to get another.

Which is your wife? If she's the first type, you may want to look at getting the next dog while the first is still around. At the very least, you'll want to talk about what type of dog she wants. It can smooth the transition.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #169
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Looking for advice. My wife is a huge dog lover, I'm not so that's making our decision somewhat difficult. Our dog was diagnosed as diabetic and she's losing her eyesight. She's just a wee Sheltie so the cost of insulin/syringes isn't too bad so that's not a factor.

The blindness is what I'm worried about. She's 10 + 2 months and I'm thinking she's still seeing some but she's not seeing all. She's run into things the last couple of weeks. Things that have always been in the same spots.

So, my question is, when her sight goes completely, is it right to keep a dog going who can't see at all? Is it possible they can adjust?

+1 that is was bumped on not a super depressing story...

I grew up with a cat names Margot, she had cataracts from the time she was 6 to the time she was 17. could see very very limited light differences. Im sure it affected her quality of life, but she live and was a very happy cat. she just walked... slower and carefuller.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #170
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

you just need to focus on her quality of life. thats what really matters!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #171
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We had an older dog that went blind when I was a kid and got along just fine. IIRC the key was not rearranging any furniture so she knew the layout of the house.

As for doing what is best for the dog, I would listen to your vet, she is the expert. I think maybe the best course of action with your wife is let her know you will do all you can that is reasonable, but if the vet tells you it may be time you need to listen to the expert.

There are few things more selfish IMO than keeping a suffering pet alive for your own reasons. In your heart of hearts, or your wifes as the case may be, you will know when the time is right.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #172
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
This is the difficult thing about pet ownership. You get a dog or cat and know that unless something horrible happens to you, you will outlive the animal. Yet you get attached and it becomes so hard to make the decision when the time comes.

You are right in thinking that she is a pet. If she's not doing well, then you have to make the call. You have to do what is right for the animal. If you can't make that decision, you shouldn't become a pet owner.

That said, I think most dogs handle blindness ok. They start to figure out where things are. As was said above, monitor the anxiety and her mood. If she's still a happy dog, there is no need to make a rash decision.

There are two types of dog owners. . . one type wants to get a replacement the second their dog dies.(I'm this type, I want a new puppy, I like having dogs in my life) Other people want to wait 6 mo., a year or sometimes never to get another.

Which is your wife? If she's the first type, you may want to look at getting the next dog while the first is still around. At the very least, you'll want to talk about what type of dog she wants. It can smooth the transition.

I actually asked her yesterday if she wanted to get another dog and she said she would not want to do that.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #173
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Agree with much of what has been said Rowech and would just like to add one story of a Dog that lost it's eye as a reult of abuse and is not only flourishing now, but has been the inspiration of a new law and done an incredible amount to raise awareness and help other Dogs in need.

Again, I know this is a way different scenario, but the end result is Dogs are amazingly resiliant and Andre is a great example. I met him at a fundraiser and he is very loving Dog that still adores people and makes do just fine without his eyesight.

Miniature dog's plight opens hearts

Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Last edited by BYU 14 : 04-15-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #174
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Agree with much of what has been said Rowech and would just like to add one story of a Dog that lost it's eye as a reult of abuse and is not only flourishing now, but has been the inspiration of a new law and done an incredible amount to raise awareness and help other Dogs in need.

Again, I know this is a way different scenario, but the end result is Dogs are amazingly resiliant and Andre is a great example. I met him at a fundraiser and he is very loving Dog that still adores people and makes do just fine without his eyesight.

Miniature dog's plight opens hearts

Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Good for Andre, I hope he is pampered every day. Seriously though what the fuck is wrong with people?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #175
rowech
Pro Starter

Took our dog to the vet today and sure enough, she's lost vision completely in one eye and is down to a minimal amount in the other eye. Very sad as she's running into things and just is having trouble realizing where she is. I'm hoping that after a couple of weeks she can adjust because this is rough. I won't be able to stand this watching her being so worried and trying to figure out where we are and where she is.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #176
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Last fall we brought a cat into our house that we named Betty. One of my sister's friends had her and didn't really take care of her. They realized their daughter was allergic to her so they put her outside and left her to fend for herself. She just sort of hung out in their yard and they let her have some of their dogs food. They wouldn't buy her cat food. I met her and she was one of the friendliest cat's I've ever seen and just loved any attention she could get from people so I agreed to bring her home so she wouldn't have to live through another winter outside. The transition to being an indoor cat was mostly successful other than sometimes not using the litter box. The past week she seemed to not be feeling well but there was nothing too out of the ordinary. It was just a collection of small things that seemed off. She was still eating and drinking and moving around she just seemed to be a little more tired. Today when I went to check on her it was obvious something was really wrong. She had no energy and could barely stand on her own. Being a holiday the only option was the emergency vet but that wasn't something we could afford right now. We decided to try and let her rest and keep an eye on her. Soon after she developed difficulty breathing and then passed away. While I know we improved her life dramatically over the past 9 months, I wish I would've known that the small signs she was displaying actually meant there was something more going on. Her meow just seemed a little distressed in the last day or two. She was telling me something was wrong but I didn't understand. I'm fairly certain that by today whatever was wrong it was too late to stop it. I've been preparing myself for this to happen with my other cat who is 20 years old this month but can't believe how quickly Betty's condition deteriorated. She's the first pet I've actually watched pass away. I've just kind of been sitting here the rest of the day unsure what to do.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #177
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

So sorry HR..
Old 07-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #178
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Thats unfortunate... but you did what you could, and improved her life, thats more than most people can say.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #179
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Sorry to hear of your loss HR. We lost our cat about a month ago and it was hard. Keep in mind that you did bring Betty in and gave her those 9 great months.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #180
BYU 14
Coordinator

So sorry for your loss HR
Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #181
molson
General Manager

Sorry to hear that HR. Without your intervention he would have died outside alone, probably over the winter. But he had the chance to know he was cared for at the end. It's all we can do really, try to make a difference where we can, and you did so here.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #182
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Thanks for the condolences. I think the hardest thing was just not having any time mentally to prepare for it. Two days ago she was begging for milk and trying to jump up on my desk. I still expect to see her in one of her normal napping places. We buried her with her favorite sandals that she liked to sharpen her claws on and some catnip. For now I'm still pretty emotional but I know eventually I'll be able to accept that we were able to give her the gift of being wanted and loved.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #183
MrBug708
Head Coach

My dog of 16 years was put down today. She probably lived 4 years too long, but had a huge yard to roam around in for 13 of those years.

RIP Tootsie Roll

Last edited by MrBug708 : 07-11-2012 at 06:27 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #184
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Damnit MrBug. Always hate seeing this thread bumped. Will pour one for Tootsie Roll tonight.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #185
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Very sorry to hear of your loss MrBug.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #186
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

sorry to hear Bug
Old 07-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #187
Grover
Pro Starter

Sorry, Bug.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #188
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Very sorry to hear Bug. Such a sweet looking dog. CUUUTE puppy eyes!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #189
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Sorry Bug. Try and think about the good times with Tootsie Roll. I know that has helped me.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #190
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I don't like seeing this thread bumped.. sorry sorry Bug.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #191
Castlerock
High School Varsity

So sorry, Bug and HR.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #192
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Sorry Bug

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #193
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Sorry to hear MrBug.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #194
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That sucks, Bug. Just try to remember the good times and what a great life you gave her.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #195
rowech
Pro Starter

My wife and I are torn on what to do for our dog after she went blind. She's been working at it for four months and she's just not getting better. Still runs into things, now sleeps all but a couple of hours, but still eats and goes to bathroom. Generally she looks very depressed and lethargic other than feeding time. The diabetes is only going to get worse over time and she's 10.5 now.

We're thinking of putting her down not because of the blindness but because her life just cant be good at this point. She runs into things constantly and shows a lack of confidence. Sometimes she just freezes because of fear.

It's tough because she still eats and even gets excited at that time but thats it. Vet says that is probably because of insulin telling her to eat.

We dont want to put her down too early but also not too late.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #196
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
My wife and I are torn on what to do for our dog after she went blind. She's been working at it for four months and she's just not getting better. Still runs into things, now sleeps all but a couple of hours, but still eats and goes to bathroom. Generally she looks very depressed and lethargic other than feeding time. The diabetes is only going to get worse over time and she's 10.5 now.

We're thinking of putting her down not because of the blindness but because her life just cant be good at this point. She runs into things constantly and shows a lack of confidence. Sometimes she just freezes because of fear.

It's tough because she still eats and even gets excited at that time but thats it. Vet says that is probably because of insulin telling her to eat.

We dont want to put her down too early but also not too late.

This comes from someone that is terrible at doing this. My wife actually took in our last dog. I simply couldn't do it.

Its always a tough call. If she has no quality of life than it might be time. You say she freezes because she is afraid. To me that is a sad state to be in and if it is something that happens a lot I would think hard about taking her in. If she's trembling and always nervous and afraid I would try to put myself in her head and see just how terrible a way that would be to live. Does she show any signs of happiness other than food time? Does cuddling\petting help her at all? If so are you guys around enough to give that to her? If not and she is spending large amounts of time alone, afraid, and blind I certainly wouldn't think you did anything too soon.

Its going to be hard but, at least from your description here, maybe for the best.

Sorry you are going through this but as many of have posted here it is part of the whole pet thing. And I think most of us here will say despite the pain it is all worth it.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #197
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
This comes from someone that is terrible at doing this. My wife actually took in our last dog. I simply couldn't do it.

Its always a tough call. If she has no quality of life than it might be time. You say she freezes because she is afraid. To me that is a sad state to be in and if it is something that happens a lot I would think hard about taking her in. If she's trembling and always nervous and afraid I would try to put myself in her head and see just how terrible a way that would be to live. Does she show any signs of happiness other than food time? Does cuddling\petting help her at all? If so are you guys around enough to give that to her? If not and she is spending large amounts of time alone, afraid, and blind I certainly wouldn't think you did anything too soon.

Its going to be hard but, at least from your description here, maybe for the best.

Sorry you are going through this but as many of have posted here it is part of the whole pet thing. And I think most of us here will say despite the pain it is all worth it.

She's not so afraid that she trembles all the time. More when she just can't find her way. Often coming inside she will get to onto the deck off of the ramp I built she will try to find the door in and no matter the clicking, the calling of her name, etc she can't find her way in. She will try and try and then there reaches a point where she just stops and won't budge. Same thing happens at bedtime when she goes into her cage sometimes. It's tough. She will be in front of a wall and thinking she's standing right next to you.

If we pick er up she will sit patiently for a while as we pet her and then she wants to get down. Lot of times she paces, lies down for a couple minutes, then up again to pace and then lies down, etc. I wonder sometimes if it's because she's in pain and can't get comfortable.

I wish dogs could talk.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #198
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I got a call from my wife while I was driving home from work yesterday that our dog Dante was ran over by a car in our driveway (to make this an even worse tragedy - it happened in front of my wife and kids). Dante was a 10 year old Jack Russell with more energy than life itself. My arm would tire before he would while I threw a ball, stick, or any thing that may or may not fit in his mouth. On the opposite end, he loved to snuggle as close as he could to you under the blankets. He will be missed but never forgotten - RIP buddy

[IMG]018[/IMG]

[IMG]070[/IMG]

[IMG]031[/IMG]

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 09-24-2012 at 12:29 PM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #199
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

oh man, that is terrible, so sorry to hear that.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #200
saldana
Pro Starter

sorry man...my heart goes out to your kids especially
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote