Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

That's cool.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #53
DanGarion
Coordinator

Dodgers pitcher Ryu playing catch with a kid in the stands before a game.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Last edited by DanGarion : 05-14-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #54
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Matt Kemp found out about this Dodgers fan suffering from Cancer and gave him the shirt off his back and more..

Old 05-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #55
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Matt Kemp found out about this Dodgers fan suffering from Cancer and gave him the shirt off his back and more..

That's awesome! I think I have something in my eyes.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #56
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

We've become friends with one of the players from the local minor league team and all my Mom got for Mother's Day was a signed ball from the team.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #57
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Matt Kemp has a new fan here. What an awesome gesture!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #58
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:

I may have to give up my life long hate (tm, sportsguy) of all things Dodgers...

full disclosure: grew up a Reds fan.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #59
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

This was a few weeks back, and i'm sure Major League Soccer is off most people's radars:

Timbers Play Make-A-Wish Game, Kid With Cancer Scores Winning Goal

The part that really makes it for me is 3,000 fans coming down in the middle of a day, and booing their own team while cheering on the kid's team.

Green Machine Tifo - YouTube
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #60
BYU 14
Coordinator

I never get tired of seeing things like this, props to the Rays

Military family reunited at Rays game
Old 05-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #61
MrBug708
Head Coach

Durant donating 1 million to Oklahoma Tornado victims
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #62
PilotMan
Head Coach

Anyone else have the response to Matt Kemp's offer to donate $1,000 for every homerun he hits between now and the break a little on the small side? I mean, he has 2 now, so he should have at least 4 by the break. Especially since it's his hometown. What does he make? 7 mill per year?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 05-21-2013 at 03:52 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #63
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Anyone else have the response to Matt Kemp's offer to donate $1,000 for every homerun he hits between now and the break a little on the small side? I mean, he has 2 now, so he should have at least 4 by the break. Especially since it's his hometown. What does he make? 7 mill per year?

He was the league leader in HRs in '11, no? Maybe he's trying to motivate himself to find his power again.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #64
Logan
Head Coach

Apparently he's now pledged another $250K on top of the HR donations.

Not that I'd normally be critical of how someone spends with charity, but even if I weren't, I'd cut him some slack on it anyway. He may not have thought it all the way through, just thinking saying "I'll give money per HR" is a good thing to do and also builds publicity for donations from others.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #65
MacroGuru
Coordinator

to keep up with the Matt Kemp theme, he flew in the fan he gave all the gear to in the video for a game in LA.

Matt Kemp flies terminally ill fan Joshua Jones to L.A., introduces him to his famous pals | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports
Old 07-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #67
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

QB's piano talent a memorable gift for 11-year-old cancer patient - CBSSports
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #68
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow that should be required reading and watching for every freshman athlete coming to school this fall
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #69
Kodos
Resident Alien

Great story. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #70
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yeah, I found that story pretty incredible on two levels really. First, it's particularly moving when a celebrity/athlete humbly does something special for a community entirely out of the goodness of his or her heart - and not for PR value. Second, the Target House in Memphis was very special to our family two years ago when my nephew was going through treatments. Knowing the place, what it does for people and what the people, the kids in paricular, are going through there really hits home.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #71
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
wow that should be required reading and watching for every freshman athlete coming to school this fall

My players will be watching this in our first meeting on August 5th.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #72
frnk55
High School Varsity

I keep on hearing good things about Matt Kemp. That's really cool even though I can't stand the Dodgers.
I also love that he said Braun should give back the MVP trophy which he deserves! Kemp deserves that is.

Last edited by frnk55 : 07-25-2013 at 04:39 PM.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #73
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
My players will be watching this in our first meeting on August 5th.

good man
Old 07-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #74
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Excellent article and thanks for sharing. I have a new college QB to root for
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #75
PilotMan
Head Coach

I just saw this from yesterday. RIP.

Teenager befriended by LA Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp loses battle with brain cancer | MLB.com: News

Quote:
Joshua Jones, the terminally ill Dodgers fan befriended by Matt Kemp earlier this season, has passed away. He was 19.

Laelah Quintor, Jones' aunt, told Yahoo! that Jones' health had worsened over the past few weeks, but she said the moments he spent with Kemp and his Dodgers teammates "definitely made a difference for Joshua." Jones had been battling brain cancer.

Kemp presented Jones with an autographed baseball along with his jersey, hat and spikes on May 5 after a game in San Francisco. The interaction was recorded and went viral online, although Kemp said at the time he didn't even know he was being filmed.

Third-base coach Tim Wallach first told Kemp about Jones, hoping it would be a way for Jones to at least take home a baseball, and Kemp decided to go meet Jones that day at AT&T Park.

Kemp later flew Jones from Oakland to a Dodgers game in Los Angeles, where Jones got to meet some of the All-Star outfielder's teammates, including Clayton Kershaw, who gave Jones a signed bat. Jones also met with Angels outfielder Mike Trout, shaking his hand and taking pictures on the field.

Kemp said his initial gesture was "something I felt that I needed to do, and I'm glad I got to do that. Hopefully, that made the kid's day."

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #76
Logan
Head Coach

This is pretty cool.

http://www.doorcountydailynews.com/s...0#.UjGyjT-DmCi

Quote:
Luxemburg-Casco 7th and 8th graders felt more pressure maybe than ever before yesterday during their middle school football game. Two very special fans were in the crowd watching the game against Howard Suamico.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and kicker Mason Crosby were enjoying their off day by taking in the middle school game. Reports from L-C community members indicated that Rodgers’ neighbor plays on the 8th grade Howard Suamico team and he was there to support him.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #77
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Nothing on a grand scale, but pretty cool anyways.

My son is playing his first year of mite level hockey. Two weeks ago, Friday night practice, kids get on the ice at 6:00. Coaches come out a couple minutes later, with Craig Adams right behind them. Craig Adams is, but professional athlete standards, unknown. 4th liner, bounced around the league with a few teams. But still pretty awesome he showed up at a practice to help out.

Last week, he's back, with Chris Kunitz with him.

The funniest part is, even when the kids realize who they are...they don't care. They just want to play. Meanwhile the dad's are all trying to get pictures of their kid on the ice with these guys.

The real telling part to me, neither week was there anyone taking pics or video, or even a PR person following them around. While I am sure the Penguins are aware, this is a totally organic thing, these guys just like getting on the ice and helping out.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #78
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Nothing on a grand scale, but pretty cool anyways.

My son is playing his first year of mite level hockey. Two weeks ago, Friday night practice, kids get on the ice at 6:00. Coaches come out a couple minutes later, with Craig Adams right behind them. Craig Adams is, but professional athlete standards, unknown. 4th liner, bounced around the league with a few teams. But still pretty awesome he showed up at a practice to help out.

Last week, he's back, with Chris Kunitz with him.

The funniest part is, even when the kids realize who they are...they don't care. They just want to play. Meanwhile the dad's are all trying to get pictures of their kid on the ice with these guys.

The real telling part to me, neither week was there anyone taking pics or video, or even a PR person following them around. While I am sure the Penguins are aware, this is a totally organic thing, these guys just like getting on the ice and helping out.

Craig's not unknown to me. Part of the "Adams Family" 4th line with Kevyn Adams back in 2006 when the Canes won the Cup.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #79
miami_fan
Coordinator

76ers sign Kevin Grow to 2-day deal

Big ups to the Sixers!

Kevin Grow signs two-day deal with Philadelphia 76ers - ESPN

Quote:
Kevin Grow, a high school senior with Down syndrome who lives in the Philadelphia area, has been signed by the Philadelphia 76ers to a ceremonial two-day contract.

Grow scored 14 points including three 3-pointers and a buzzer beater over the final two games of the varsity season after Bensalem High School coaches put him, the team's four-year manager, in the lineup.

As a two-day member of the Sixers, Grow will get a custom jersey and participate in pregame activities prior to the team's home game Tuesday against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Grow will stand with the team during the national anthem and his Bensalem teammates will join him in a special presentation prior to the 7 p.m. ET tip-off.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #80
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Well done Sixers.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #81
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Kevin Durant & a camera-man's accident

Good Guy Kevin Durant: Sees you slip and fall. Stops what he's doing & takes you for X-Rays (true story) : nba
Old 03-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #82
BYU 14
Coordinator

A high school athlete, but this is well worthy of mention

HS wrestler loses state title match, embraces opponent's sick father | FOX Sports on MSN

Last edited by BYU 14 : 03-10-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #83
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Cristiano Ronaldo Offers to Pay for the Surgery of a Child With Cortical Dysplasia | beIN Sports - News | beIN SPORTS US
Old 03-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #84
Logan
Head Coach

Awesome.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #85
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I like the note in the article too about how he's done plenty of other things over the years that just haven't been publicized.

Refreshing to see.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #86
Grover
Pro Starter

New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson gives Steve Gleason $5M for ALS help - ESPN

This story is filled with so much awesome.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #87
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Milwaukee Bucks' Ekpe Udoh wanted to make his book club cry - SBNation.com

Bucks player has his own book club. Sponsored a screening of a movie they'd all the read the book for beforehand. Pretty cool.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #88
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Golfer DQs himself from Open to clear conscience | www.ajc.com
Old 08-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #89
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

cross-posted to Soccer Thread.

Good on Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Quote:
Soccer team for mild mental retardation qualified for the World Cup in Brazil but could not finance the trip. Then the team got unexpected help.

Assistant coach Stefan Jonsson got in touch with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, asked for a shirt to auction off - and received 350 000 SEK.

- He said, "What the hell are you going with a sweater? What does it cost to go? "When we said that we need to SEK 350 000. He asked for the account number and deposited it says Stefan Jonsson helahalsingland.se.

http://www.dn.se/sport/fotboll/ibrah...landslagsresa/
Old 08-12-2014, 02:13 AM   #90
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Clint Dempsey Trades Jersey To Child For Popcorn - YouTube
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:24 AM   #91
Danny
Head Coach

Wow I read that as something else initially

Last edited by Danny : 08-12-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #92
Logan
Head Coach

How about an organization?

Cincinnati Bengals Re-Sign Devon Still to Help Pay for Daughter's Cancer Treatment - ABC News
Old 09-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #93
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

WTF? The Bungles do something good for one of their players?

KUDOS!!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-04-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #94
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Aaron Rogers helping a sister of a brother who passed from cancer. Pediatric Cancer awareness.

Aaron Rodgers goes door-to-door to spread the word for a good cause - SportsNation - ESPN

Last edited by MacroGuru : 09-24-2014 at 02:03 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:03 PM   #95
Thomkal
Head Coach

Classy move by the Padres:

Padres sign wheelchair-using pitcher for 20th straight season - CBSSports.com
Old 04-13-2015, 08:53 PM   #96
Dutch
"Dutch"

Nothing Earth shattering monetarily, but I think in this case, it's the thought that counts and makes this worthy.

Bucs' Gholston repays a favor, with interest | Tampa Bay Times
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:05 PM   #97
Atocep
Coordinator

Great story about Randy Moss keeping a promise.

Ex-Vikings star Randy Moss shows up at Pelican Rapids graduation | INFORUM
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #98
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Somehow I missed this. But it is awesome. Hats off to the Padres.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #99
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Awesome. Brought a tear to my eye.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #100
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Outstanding story! Really wish I had heard more about this relationship during his playing career.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote