Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #651
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

First college players get to get paid for their labor.

Now, the NFL is going to make unvaccinated players and staff actually feel the consequences of their choices.

There's a certain kind of football fan who's probably about ready to ditch the whole sport right now.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:01 PM   #652
molson
General Manager

You'd think the restrictions would have been big motivators. In the 2021 season, the unvaccinated players still have to wear masks at the club facility, have travel restrictions, have to be separated from teammates at team mealtimes, no marketing/sponsorship activities, can't use the suana/steam room, have to get tested every day, can't leave team hotel to eat at restaurants or interact with any outsiders during team travel. Vaccinated players will have none of those restrictions. Also, vaccinated players don't have to be quarantined (and miss games) if they have close contact with a COVID-positive person, while unvaccinated players still will.

And it should be pretty clear who the vaccinated and unvaccinated players are, so they'll also have the public shaming/celebration depending on the who we're talking about.

Last edited by molson : 07-22-2021 at 02:04 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:06 PM   #653
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Also, fans won't forgive.

Fans already hold being "injury prone" against a player.

If your teams loses b/c a player who chooses to be unvaccinated misses time for COVID, I think there will be very little sympathy.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:13 PM   #654
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Also, fans won't forgive.

Fans already hold being "injury prone" against a player.

If your teams loses b/c a player who chooses to be unvaccinated misses time for COVID, I think there will be very little sympathy.

What a conflict an the anti-vaxxer NFL fans will have. Would they rather their team lose games, or see their team players give into the evil vaccinators?
Old 07-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #655
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Those people already quit the NFL because of the kneeling controversy. I mean, that's what they say. The point is it's largely the same group of people.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-22-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #656
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am too cynical I guess. The Steelers play three times in 12 days in order to get last season completed. I would not put it beyond the league to put 3 games in 10 (maybe even 9) if necessary.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:05 PM   #657
molson
General Manager

Ya, forfeits were theoretically on the table last year but I don't think they'd ever do it. Especially since vaccinated players don't have to sit out unless they test positive. So I don't think they'd even need to postpone a game just because some players tested positive.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #658
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Ya, forfeits were theoretically on the table last year but I don't think they'd ever do it. Especially since vaccinated players don't have to sit out unless they test positive. So I don't think they'd even need to postpone a game just because some players tested positive.

I think it depends on the team. Have Jacksonville forfeit a game? Sure, you're saving everyone a bunch of time anyways. Have Tampa Bay forfeit? Hellz no! We're playing Week 19 baby!
Old 07-22-2021, 03:49 PM   #659
molson
General Manager

DeAndre Hopkins not a fan of vaccines.

Deandre Hopkins Contemplating Retirement After NFL Announces New COVID-19 Rules
Old 07-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #660
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Greg Knapp has passed away from injuries after being hit by a car while riding a bicycle.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:57 PM   #661
Ksyrup

Quote:

He believes 45K people died from the Covid vaccine and doesn't want to be put in a position of hurting his team by remaining unvaccinated, so he believes it would be better to hurt his team by retiring. Got it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #662
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
He believes 45K people died from the Covid vaccine

I just don't get it. How can you think that? If 45K people had died from the vaccine, that would be an ENORMOUS story. It would be the front page of everything. It is all we'd be talking about. And they would have stopped the vaccine.

If it were true, how can he think that the only place he will have seen it is TheRealTruthDotCom or whatever?
Old 07-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #663
molson
General Manager

He thinks we're all sheep for believing doctors and science.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:35 PM   #664
thesloppy
Pro Starter

There is a particular breed of moron out there that points to CDC data and notes that only a relatively tiny number of people have died from covid without any comorbidities, which is especially stupid because it relies not only on a fundamental ignorance of viruses and infections, but a 'conspiracy' in which the underlying data and reporting is all entirely correct and 100% accurate, yet only the morons with no scientific or medical background are interpreting it correctly.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-22-2021 at 04:45 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #665
miami_fan
Coordinator

I just read the memo and I don't understand what the complaint is for the players. There is nothing in the memo that says they have to get the vaccine. If you tests positive, you are out just like any injury. If it is 25 players out with COVID this week, so be it. Maybe the league should tell the team to play with what they got that game week or whenever they rescheduled the game. The NFL did that to a team last year didn't they?

What am I missing?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-22-2021, 05:09 PM   #666
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I just read the memo and I don't understand what the complaint is for the players. There is nothing in the memo that says they have to get the vaccine. If you tests positive, you are out just like any injury. If it is 25 players out with COVID this week, so be it. Maybe the league should tell the team to play with what they got that game week or whenever they rescheduled the game. The NFL did that to a team last year didn't they?

What am I missing?

The League's tone last year was "we will do what we can to try and get every game played."

The League's tone this year is "Forfeits (and missed game checks) are legit on the table. And it will pretty much depend on if your sick players are vaccinated or not as to whether we play that card."
Old 07-22-2021, 05:35 PM   #667
Ksyrup

Quote:
I just don't get it. How can you think that? If 45K people had died from the vaccine, that would be an ENORMOUS story. It would be the front page of everything. It is all we'd be talking about. And they would have stopped the vaccine.

If it were true, how can he think that the only place he will have seen it is TheRealTruthDotCom or whatever?

It has something to do with that VAERS site and conflating the reporting of post-vaccination deaths with actual proof that any of those people died because of the vaccination. Although I don't think even those reports support his number.

I typed VAERS database into google and this came up as a news story:

COVID-19 Vaccine Related Fatalities Exceed 12,000 (Updated) — Precision Vaccinations
Old 07-22-2021, 09:20 PM   #668
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Now, the NFL is going to make unvaccinated players and staff actually feel the consequences of their choices.

This is an outstanding policy, if in fact it is implemented. I hope other sports will follow suit.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:48 PM   #669
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The League's tone last year was "we will do what we can to try and get every game played."

The League's tone this year is "Forfeits (and missed game checks) are legit on the table. And it will pretty much depend on if your sick players are vaccinated or not as to whether we play that card."

But that has nothing to do with forcing the players to get vaccinated. It is the leap from "Forfeits (and missed game checks) are legit on the table." to "They are forcing us to get vaccinated." that does not make sense to me. Here are the scenarios as I see it.

If there are no outbreaks, they(the unvaccinated) are good and are not forced to get vaccinated

If the dum dums who got the vaccine test positive and are asymptomatic, they(the unvaccinated) are good and are not forced to get vaccinated.

If an unvaccinated player or players tests positive, they are out for ten days. I think they still get paid but I could be wrong on this part. Their team might still be able to play the game that week or at some other point in the season. Either way, they (the unvaccinated)come back all good and are not forced to get vaccinated

The worst case scenario is the one that might cost them forfeits and thus game checks. Even that is only if they cannot rescheduled the game. Otherwise, it's only the owner's wallet that is affected. The end result they are STILL not required to get the vaccine.

BTW I forgot to ask. What constitutes an outbreak anyways? Maybe you lose your QB room like Denver did last year, but the game went on. Was it Cleveland who lost its head coach for a playoff game and the game went on?

The protesting about be forced to vaccinate makes no sense to me.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:12 AM   #670
molson
General Manager

Saw an interesting point - how many football players are injected with substances for treatment or training by the team, nutritionists, clubhouse steroids guys, whatever. If it gets them back on the field faster, or makes them train better, it's at least our perception that most of them will just do it without question, or just accept it as part of their job. I wonder if that mindset could be transferred to vaccines. (Maybe it is for a lot, the NFL players do seem to have a better vaccine rate than the general U.S. population).

Last edited by molson : 07-23-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:34 AM   #671
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Saw an interesting point - how many football players are injected with substances for treatment or training by the team, nutritionists, clubhouse steroids guys, whatever. If it gets them back on the field faster, or makes them train better, it's at least our perception that most of them will just do it without question, or just accept it as part of their job. I wonder if that mindset could be transferred to vaccines. (Maybe it is for a lot, the NFL players do seem to have a better vaccine rate than the general U.S. population).

This is what I thought as well. On the other hand, this is supposed to be the generation of players who will not take the same risks as generations of the past have because financially the current generation does not have to.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #672
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
First college players get to get paid for their labor.

There's a certain kind of football fan who's probably about ready to ditch the whole sport right now.

I had an entire fantasy league implode and fold up because the majority of its owners decided they were giving up on football because of... (checks notes)... libruls.

(This was last year, the "last straw" for them was that "Lift Every Voice And Sing" was going to be performed off-camera at NFL games. Class acts, I'm better off without them and their cash, I suppose.

Last edited by QuikSand : 07-23-2021 at 11:56 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:05 PM   #673
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I had an entire fantasy league implode and fold up because the majority of its owners decided they were giving up on football because of... (checks notes)... libruls.

(This was last year, the "last straw" for them was that "Lift Every Voice And Sing" was going to be performed off-camera at NFL games. Class acts, I'm better off without them and their cash, I suppose.

Jesus, and these are the type of people that talk about others being soft, LOL.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #674
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I know I won't be watching any games where a team honors a drive by shooter.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:32 PM   #675
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I know I won't be watching any games where a team honors a drive by shooter.

Who is this in reference to? It's hard to keep track anymore in the "woke" wars.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:52 PM   #676
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Would it be the craziest idea for the Packers to trade Adams and Rodgers and collect an assload of picks and plan to tank this year and set up Jordan Love for 2022 and beyond?
Old 07-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #677
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The problem is, I don't know how you get fair value for Rodgers. It is easier when a team can trade you a known top-10 pick before the draft.

It is harder when it is just "future first rounder."
Old 07-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #678
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Would it be the craziest idea for the Packers to trade Adams and Rodgers and collect an assload of picks and plan to tank this year and set up Jordan Love for 2022 and beyond?

Yes!

Because Rodgers is a rare talent that you need in order to win Super Bowls.

The chance of getting anyone or Love is anything remotely close to Rodgers with any of them picks is highly unlikely.

Teams have been trying for years just to get an average QB. Bears, Vikings, Bengals, Browns, etc etc etc.

The Dolphins have a lot going for them right now but IMO they wont be anything more than a playoff loser until they get a top 10 QB. QB is so important in today's NFL.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-23-2021 at 12:58 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #679
QuikSand
lolzcat

If the Packers actually had Rodgers happy and ready to play for a while, then yes that would be crazy. If they believe his bluster, then they don't have that option in hand... meaning trying to deal/tank is not at all the craziest idea.

The thing is, they have a roster that is really built to win soon... top level talent at multiple positions beyond QB: LT, WR1, CB1, pass rushers. It's not like this is the Texans around DeShaun Watson... the Packers have assembled a high quality roster (with emphasis on a handful of key positions) despite being arguably weak at receiver past Adams.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:09 PM   #680
molson
General Manager

A Viking coach just lost his job for refusing the vaccine. That's an interesting way to give up a career.

Also I didn't realize that the vaccine is required for non-player staff. So he won't be the last.

Last edited by molson : 07-23-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:09 PM   #681
miami_fan
Coordinator

Rick Dennison out as Minnesota Vikings assistant after refusing COVID-19 vaccine, sources say
Old 07-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #682
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, now it unfurls that Michael Thomas will miss maybe the whole year for the Saints. QB uncertainty, maybe oblivion, already in the mix. Has there been a team with such a wide range of foreseeable outcomes?

13-4: well, the coach is widely seen as an offensive genius, Jameis really was the #1 pick overall just a few years ago, there was something about eysight/discipline that clued us in they "fixed" Jameis, and they really had a ready-to-win roster build for Brees's swan song, so... yeah, they're an elite team it was all there for us to see

3-14: the coach is a phony he just lucked out with a handful of hang-your-hat players, that receiving corps(e) looked awful and was, they are spending too much money on non-impact positions, they let too much pass rushing talent walk away, the 2x QB system was never going to work right, and the stupid fascination with what-could-have-been Jameis was clearly a gamble and predictably failed to pay off... of course they're looking at pick 5 in the draft next year, it was a near-tank in retrospect
Old 07-23-2021, 01:28 PM   #683
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As a Saints fan who watches the team closely, I agree.

The thing I am curious about is whether and how they choose to fill their gaps. Recently, they have not hesitated to deal future picks for players. Is that an overall organizational approach (established players >> unknown picks)? Or was that a function of having a win-now roster with Brees that they could be confident was not going to be picking in the top 15?
Old 07-23-2021, 01:32 PM   #684
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Who is this in reference to? It's hard to keep track anymore in the "woke" wars.

The Steelers put Antwon Rose's name on the back of their helmets.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:38 PM   #685
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Maybe if the teams had a shady looking guy sidle up to the reluctant players with the vaccine in a real hush hush way and slip them an unmarked vial and whisper "Hey, this shit is from Germany, and none of the NFL's steroid tests can detect it," they could get them to take it.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:43 PM   #686
QuikSand
lolzcat

Two stories today of coaches sticking with their refusal to get the vax and losing their jobs over it.

Our tendency is to say “he’s an idiot” but I urge our response to be “propagandist techniques are unbelievably powerful,” primarily. You don’t have to be a dope to buy the snake oil.

Last edited by QuikSand : 07-23-2021 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:51 PM   #687
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The Steelers play three times in 12 days in order to get last season completed.

I sure hope three games in 12 days is not the bar because the NFL is fucked if that's the case. I mean both the Panthers and Texans play three times in 12 days just to start the season!!!!!
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:25 PM   #688
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
If the Packers actually had Rodgers happy and ready to play for a while, then yes that would be crazy. If they believe his bluster, then they don't have that option in hand... meaning trying to deal/tank is not at all the craziest idea.

The thing is, they have a roster that is really built to win soon... top level talent at multiple positions beyond QB: LT, WR1, CB1, pass rushers. It's not like this is the Texans around DeShaun Watson... the Packers have assembled a high quality roster (with emphasis on a handful of key positions) despite being arguably weak at receiver past Adams.

I think Elgton Jenkins and Darnell Savage are on the verge of being elite as well. If Amari Rodgers hits as a solid #2 option, that gives their receivers a serious boost, being able to drop Lazard and MVS into the 3rd and 4th options.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:31 PM   #689
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It was an impressive offseason of mis-information from Schefter and the national media on Green Bay. A week ago, Rodgers was never playing again for Green Bay and Adams had "cut off talks". Yet, today, Schefter posts this:

There was no way a team was going to be able to trade for Rodgers after the draft and FA. So the options were he either retired or played atleast one more year for Green Bay. I guess this means he won't be the host for Jeopardy? I just feel bad for his new Hollywood fiance - it looks like she will have to spend one more season with Aaron in Green Bay.

On a serious note, once the dust settles this could be a pretty good offseason for Green Bay. They already re-signed Jones and if they can extend Adams while not dumping a bunch of new guaranteed money to pay Rodgers through his 40s (and still have him play this year) - seems like a big win. I'd rather have Rodgers year to year at age 37/38 with a chance to also evaluate Love than be forced to overpay him into his 40s to make him play this year. If he wants to part in the offseason at age 38 (when he's still under contract and would need a trade), so be it. My guess is they would get more then than they would last April when no one had cap space. Tom says it best:

Last edited by Arles : 07-26-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #690
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

At one point it looked like the NFC Central quarterback landscape the Lions would have to face would have featured Love, Dalton, & Cousins. Now it’s Rodgers, Fields & Cousins.

Not great, Bob.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:42 PM   #691
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Rick Dennison to serve as Vikings senior offensive advisor

July 23: Vikings fire Rick Dennison for his refusal to get COVID vaccine.
July 27: Vikings hire Rick Dennison as senior offensive advisor
Old 07-27-2021, 07:54 PM   #692
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Rick Dennison to serve as Vikings senior offensive advisor

July 23: Vikings fire Rick Dennison for his refusal to get COVID vaccine.
July 27: Vikings hire Rick Dennison as senior offensive advisor

So is he Tier 2 or Tier 3?
Old 07-27-2021, 08:01 PM   #693
molson
General Manager

Ron Rivera, who of course is immunodeficient and managed his team through chemotherapy, has the gall to be frustrated by players on his team who are trying to kill him. Can you believe that guy.

Washington Football Team coach Ron Rivera 'beyond frustrated' by low vaccination rate of his players

Last edited by molson : 07-27-2021 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:37 PM   #694
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ron Rivera, who of course is immunodeficient and managed his team through chemotherapy, has the gall to be frustrated by players on his team who are trying to kill him. Can you believe that guy.

Washington Football Team coach Ron Rivera 'beyond frustrated' by low vaccination rate of his players

That's a weird story, for many reasons. Why is WFT such an outlier, if the rest of the league is reporting 85% vaccination?
Old 07-28-2021, 10:32 PM   #695
molson
General Manager

Lamar Einstein Jackson gets COVID, refuses vaccine, gets COVID again.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:50 AM   #696
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Matt Patricia is learning that you can be a jerk if you are a great coach. But if you aren't good at coaching, people are gonna remember that shit
Old 07-30-2021, 02:55 PM   #697
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Carson Wentz headed to see foot specialist after missing practice, out indefinitely, per multiple reports - CBSSports.com

Looks like the Eagles won't be getting that 1st round pick from the Colts next year.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:34 PM   #698
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Wentz' fall from grace is as stark as any I can remember
Old 07-30-2021, 05:41 PM   #699
cuervo72
Head Coach

RG3.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:50 PM   #700
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Jared Goff fell off that cliff pretty quick too.