Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2004, 10:51 AM   #1
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Tips on finding a financial planner

there's 2 things in life I've never really understood: How to find a good lawyer, and how to find a good financial planner. Thankfully, I don't need the former right now, but I wouldn't mind some tips on how to find the latter.

It's actually not for me, it's for my mom. She is currently involved in a lawsuit that hopefully will involve her coming into a modest sum of money. as she's on a very limited income as it is, without much in the way of retirement coming, she's going to need someone to help her come up with a good plan. I just don't know how to find that someone - it just seems like this is such a "word of mouth" occupation.

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 11:27 AM   #2
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

check out hxxp://www.daveramsey.com

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but he has some great resources that help make decision making easier, plus his only motivation is helping people live wisely with their money, not selling them on some investment portfolio.

I've taken some of his classes, and I would recommend them.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

I would recommend you check out the Vanguard financial planning service. The problem with most financial planners is they work on comissions so they have a built in conflict of interest because they are really trying to put you into investments that make THEM money. Vanguard doesn't work on comissions so they don't have this problem. There are other fee-only planners who work on their own, but their fees tend to be more expensive and it's hard to know how good they are unless you have a personal recommendation of a particular planner in your area. I've used both types of financial planners and was much happier and more comfortable with Vanguard.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 01:22 PM   #4
Tom E
H.S. Freshman Team

Just go down to the Marina and start washing your yacht and another yacht owner will walk by you talking to his advisor. Then just ask for his card...

I'll Never Forget What's Her Name...

A Democrat is Somebody who Knows the Issues, a Republican is Somebody who Understands the Issues...
Tom E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 06:29 PM   #5
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Find yourself a book by Andrew Tobias called The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need. It's a somewhat irreverant, easy to read, common sense approach to choosing investments and making wise, financial decisions. I chose my IRAs based on advice from this book.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:31 PM   #6
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Financial panther eh?...

GET 'EM SHEBA!!!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 06:58 PM   #7
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
It's actually not for me, it's for my mom. She is currently involved in a lawsuit that hopefully will involve her coming into a modest sum of money.

She suing Kobe too?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:15 AM   #8
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

The financial planner should be licensed. This helps to weed out inexperienced people who are actually just salesman. Also, non-commission brokers are also a good idea. Interview the planners about their education and experience. I have friends who became financial planners after school and they had no practical experience or education.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote