Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #6901
PilotMan
Head Coach

Annihilation 8/10

Pretty freaking good. Really trippy, and you have to pay attention. Lots of philosophical, thought provoking material. A good fantasy, mixed with heavy techno-science thriller material. Plus Natalie Portman is still the best. I could see where this could be seen as boring if you weren't paying attention or committed to the story, but jumping in, all the way was worth the trip. Would watch again.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #6902
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Annihilation 8/10

Pretty freaking good. Really trippy, and you have to pay attention. Lots of philosophical, thought provoking material. A good fantasy, mixed with heavy techno-science thriller material. Plus Natalie Portman is still the best. I could see where this could be seen as boring if you weren't paying attention or committed to the story, but jumping in, all the way was worth the trip. Would watch again.

I saw this a little while ago, I think I'd go with an 8 as well. I wish I could remember specifically what it was, but something did irk me a little with this film - I think it was an issue around the timing of the zone and the teams that had entered that felt like something had been cut from the final film, or just not explained enough. Enjoyable quirky sci fi though.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #6903
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Curious what you expected?

I expected a typical Bruce Willis action movie that was a little over the top in some places. I can suspend some disbelief. But I didn't expect to see space shuttles launching within seconds of each other from the same launch site and then zipping through comet debris like fighter jets in Top Gun. Just as an example. It's partially my own fault. I didn't realize going in that it was a Michael Bay film. I usually go out of my way to avoid those.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #6904
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I saw this a little while ago, I think I'd go with an 8 as well. I wish I could remember specifically what it was, but something did irk me a little with this film - I think it was an issue around the timing of the zone and the teams that had entered that felt like something had been cut from the final film, or just not explained enough. Enjoyable quirky sci fi though.

Annihilation - 6/10

I bought this on BF based on both your recommendations. I am sorry to say it didn't gel with me.

I liked the premise but it left me wanting.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-25-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #6905
Edward64
Head Coach

Crazy Rich Asians - 8/10

Wife and I enjoyed the movie. This was "different" and haven't seen a movie like this before in the US. Definitely a chic flick. And I'm a fan of Michelle Yeoh.

The one nit is some of the accents. The main characters are from the US and their accents sounded wrong to me. In Singapore, there were some "chinglish" but also some perfect English that didn't seem right either.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #6906
Edward64
Head Coach

Wargames - 8/10

Caught it by chance on BBC while flipping channels. Surprisingly still entertaining albeit corny, unrealistic (by today's standards) but has stood the test of time pretty well.

The last 20 minutes were pretty tense. NORAD stood by and waited for the Soviet nukes to hit first (for confirmation). The last 10 with the tic-tac-toe was bleh though.

Matthew Broderick, Ally Sheedy, Dabney Coleman, green screens, backdoor passwords, "stealth" bombers, early AI, smoking inside buildings, Stephen Hawking sounding WOPR/Joshua, young love ...

They should do a remake.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #6907
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Crazy Rich Asians - 8/10

Wife and I enjoyed the movie. This was "different" and haven't seen a movie like this before in the US. Definitely a chic flick. And I'm a fan of Michelle Yeoh.

The one nit is some of the accents. The main characters are from the US and their accents sounded wrong to me. In Singapore, there were some "chinglish" but also some perfect English that didn't seem right either.

I'd give it an 8/10 too. Enjoyable chic flick, and good to see a different spin on a theme that has been done to death.

Re: the accents it's actually not so unusual, especially with the more well off Singaporeans.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #6908
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think it's intended to be deliberately misleading, but I still struggle to get past the title of Crazy Rich Asians every time I hear it mentioned.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #6909
Kodos
Resident Alien

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody. Whole family liked it, and I'll admit I teared up a bit at the end. Freddie was an enormous talent.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:55 PM   #6910
korme
Go Reds

Disclaimer: I have not yet seen the Favourite, Mary Queen of Scots, or Roma yet. This will definitely change my first post.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:57 PM   #6911
korme
Go Reds

2018 TIER 1

TIER 1
THE RIDER – The direction by Chloe Zhao here puts The Rider in a small class of it’s own for me. She chose to use actual people experienced in the world of bull riding and turn them into actors – acting, or better, reliving their own experiences. This movie was jarring. It really cut me up on a visceral level which I did not expect. I saw this movie way back in June, and it still cuts my ribs today.
A STAR IS BORN – Very few times does a movie with such hype live up to the billing. I can think of only Titanic as a comparison – a movie that willingly will speak to all audiences – and delivers. Cooper is incredible as a directorial newbie and as a performer. Lady Gaga is equally transcendent. Holy cow, I couldn’t stop admiring the movie afterwards.
FREE SOLO – Alex Honnold is crazy. This is a documentary about a rock climber who gets his thrills by being a free soloist – someone who chooses to not use any support, no hooks, no grips, it’s just him and the earth. He has successfully done these tasks for a while, and finally chooses to conquer El Cap – a 3,000+ foot rock formation at Yosemite. Considered the greatest achievement in climbing history, the documentary explores Alex’s struggles with not only accomplishing the beast, but also trying to manage his surrounding circle of support which literally everyone is against his mission. It’s a breathtaking film.
LOVE, GILDA – I’m a sucker for SNL legends and Gilda Radnor is the first woman to stamp her place in the SNL lore (Jane Curtain, my respect). There is nothing deep or inspiring here, it’s just a 90 minute homage to a wonderful woman.
AMERICAN ANIMALS – This movie hasn’t shown up on anyone’s list, but it will remain near the top for me. For one, it’s a nearly unbelievable story of four kids who decide to steal a world-class piece of art, in the day time, on a college campus. It’s just so well done, and Barry Keoghan (Dunkirk, Killing of a Sacred Dear) as the lead will be a huge star. I loved it.
EIGHTH GRADE – Bo Burnham has the most unique voice in comedy. If you watch any comedians with Netflix specials, and then watch Bo’s, it’s clearly to the beat of a different drum. This is how Bo interprets his directorial debut – he wisely bases it off of how 2018 operates. Most movie makers like to set their stories in the 20th century so they don’t have to deal with cell phones. Bo does just the opposite of that – he focuses on just how bizarre it is to be a teenager today, when everything revolves around that device. It’s perfect.
FAHRENHEIT 11/9 – Michael Moore can be ostracizing, but at the end of the day he tackles the real shit. He comes after the Detroit water problem, which is incredulous. This could have been an entire movie about Trump, but he spread the shit. I liked it. This will probably be the most discounted choice, which is ok.

To be continued...
Old 12-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #6912
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

If I had to put together a 2018 top 10 of what I've seen thus far, in no particular order I would go with

Hereditary
Annihilation
Blackkklansman
Mandy
Tully
Upgrade
Three Identical Strangers
Ballad of Buster Scruggs
The Endless
The Death of Stalin

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #6913
larrymcg421
Head Coach

My top 10 so far...

Eighth Grade
A Quiet Place
Leave No Trace
A Star is Born
Boy Erased
Beautiful Boy
Black Panther
Mission Impossible: Fallout
Tully
Sorry to Bother You

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #6914
Atocep
Coordinator

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - 9/10

It's really difficult to find fault in this. Every story told is strong IMO. Some more so than others, but even then it's difficult for me to pick the weakest of the stories told. James Franco really stands out in his story and Tim Blake Nelson was brilliant in the opening story. A lot to like here. It's funny, it's dark, it's goofy. One of the Coen brothers' best.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:21 AM   #6915
Butter
Coordinator

Roma - 9

Streaming on Netflix. A beautifully done movie. One that resonates emotionally long after the final scenes. This is a film that maybe takes a little long to get to the meat of the story, as there is probably about 60 minutes of "setup", but setup that really places you at the center of this Mexican family's life. There are a number of beautiful shots that linger on everyday "mundanities" that surround the main character, as she conducts her housekeeping and nannying.

Cuaron really gets some great performances out of this cast, and sets up a fantastic final 60 minutes that portrays a number of powerful scenes in a very matter-of-fact and unflinching way. The fact that some of the scenes linger is one of the film's strong points, which speaks to the masterful direction. There are so many well-done long tracking shots which is a welcome respite from the constant editing and motion in so many other modern films. By the time you get to the propelling action of the last half, you have spent a lot of quality, leisurely time in this house, this city, this world and with this family. Not to mention the strong sense of time you get throughout that is not in any way shortchanged as some films do, by throwing in a token hairstyle or car here and there. This is early 1970's Mexico City, in all its glory and shame.

To say any more would be to give away much of the power of the story itself, and it is worth experiencing on your own.

Highly recommended, one of the best films I have seen this year.

Last edited by Butter : 12-18-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:46 AM   #6916
molson
General Manager

The Favourite: 8.5/10

The trailer really didn't do it justice. Once of my favorites (American spelling) of the year. Very funny, very weird, often falling into complete insanity. I didn't realize going in that it was by the director of the Lobster. This had the weirdness of the Lobster, but with a much more accessible kind of setting. As in, it takes place in more or less in a world we're familiar with from the movies and TV - 18th century high-society England. But, it goes off the rails in a fun way, which, from reading around on reddit, came as quite the shock to a lot of elderly people who went to see this and were expecting Downton Abbey.

Last edited by molson : 12-18-2018 at 08:49 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #6917
revrew
Team Chaplain

Spider-Verse: 5/10

Kudos to the film for giving homage to the two, recent Spider-Man franchises, both poking fun at them and holding up the Spider-Man mythos with proper respect. Parts of the film were genuinely pretty, and the protagonist was compelling.

The movie itself was entertaining, albeit forgettable, though the after credits stuff was pretty hilarious.

One major drawback, however, was the insistence on making it look like a comic book come to life. The background images were intentionally double-blurred (making me wonder if we had accidentally gotten the 3D version in a 2D theater, looking around to see if other people were wearing 3D glasses - they weren't), which made it hard to watch at times. I don't think that "look" works on the big screen.

Most of the secondary Spider-"Men" (except for Peter B. Parker) were underdeveloped and, frankly, felt a bit gimmicky. I think this was a movie that needed to either be a spoof or more intentionally heartfelt, and as it tried to do both, it succeeded at neither. Fun in parts, but overall, meh. Hence the 5 out of 10.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #6918
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post

One major drawback, however, was the insistence on making it look like a comic book come to life. The background images were intentionally double-blurred (making me wonder if we had accidentally gotten the 3D version in a 2D theater, looking around to see if other people were wearing 3D glasses - they weren't), which made it hard to watch at times. I don't think that "look" works on the big screen.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but having seen the previews I feel the exact opposite about this 'drawback'. It's one of the awesomest 'new' visual things I've seen in a long time.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:03 AM   #6919
Atocep
Coordinator

Bad Times at the El Royale - 6.5/10

I'm sure some people are really going to love this and some will hate it. If you can get past the fact that it drags on uncomfortably at times there's a really good movie somewhere between all of that. Jeff Bridges, Cynthia Erivo, Chris Hemsworth were fantastic. Overall the acting was top notch, the story was solid, but the pacing was terrible.

Uncle Drew - 7/10

A fun family movie with better acting than I expected. It's very predictable, it's as by the numbers as it gets, but it still manages to check all of the boxes it's going for. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it if I tried watching it alone, but it clicked as evening family film.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #6920
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post

Kudos to the film for giving homage to the two, recent Spider-Man franchises, both poking fun at them and holding up the Spider-Man mythos with proper respect. Parts of the film were genuinely pretty, and the protagonist was compelling.

The movie itself was entertaining, albeit forgettable, though the after credits stuff was pretty hilarious.

Most of the secondary Spider-"Men" (except for Peter B. Parker) were underdeveloped and, frankly, felt a bit gimmicky. I think this was a movie that needed to either be a spoof or more intentionally heartfelt, and as it tried to do both, it succeeded at neither. Fun in parts, but overall, meh. Hence the 5 out of 10.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse: 9/10

I have to disagree pretty strongly here. The movie fantastic. I'm a huge comic book fan. I've been reading them since I was a kid and have seen most comic book-based movies and think this is among the best out there.

The visual style is fantastic. The animation is amazing and it feels like you're reading a comic without being overly intrusive. It's beautiful, beautiful film.

The soundtrack is, also, amazing. Loved it.

The action sequences are vibrant, intense, interesting, and really well done. Miles Morales - the main Spider-Man - is fantastic as is the older, more grizzled Peter Parker. Their dynamic is really great to see played out on screen. The other spider folk are all given their little chance to shine and are pretty amusing. And, no offense to Marisa Tomei, but Lily Tomlin in this is the best Aunt Mae we've ever seen.

I saw this with my wife and 7-year old stepson and we all loved it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #6921
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Bad Times at the El Royale - 6.5/10

I'm sure some people are really going to love this and some will hate it. If you can get past the fact that it drags on uncomfortably at times there's a really good movie somewhere between all of that. Jeff Bridges, Cynthia Erivo, Chris Hemsworth were fantastic. Overall the acting was top notch, the story was solid, but the pacing was terrible.

I'm in the really loved it camp. Didn't notice the pacing issues at all. I give it a 9/10.
Spoiler
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:19 PM   #6922
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - 9/10

It's really difficult to find fault in this. Every story told is strong IMO. Some more so than others, but even then it's difficult for me to pick the weakest of the stories told. James Franco really stands out in his story and Tim Blake Nelson was brilliant in the opening story. A lot to like here. It's funny, it's dark, it's goofy. One of the Coen brothers' best.

Halfway through this and it is fucking horrendous.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:23 PM   #6923
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Turned it off, couldn't do it.

My wife and In-Laws agree. I have no idea what I just watched.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:00 PM   #6924
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
I'm in the really loved it camp. Didn't notice the pacing issues at all. I give it a 9/10.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 12-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #6925
Atocep
Coordinator

Bumblebee - 7.5/10

Although the focus is obviously on a single Transformer here, in a lot of ways this is the Transformer movie people have been waiting for. It's set in the 80s and does a good job of balancing the feel of the 80s action/comedies (so kind of cheesy sometimes) while staying up to date.

This is a prequel, so you get some backstory (why bumblebee can't talk/why he was a camero in the other movies, ect) and a reintroduction to some characters. The Transformer designs and voices are almost straight out of the original cartoon and you see a few acknowledgements of the original Transformers movie (circa '86).

The best of the Transformer movies to date and I wouldn't mind them rebooting the series with this style and approach to story telling.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:37 PM   #6926
Edward64
Head Coach

Predator - 4/10

What a massive miss. They obviously had the budget because the special effects were pretty good but the story-line really, really sucked and the stupid jokes did not "fit".

Really disappointed.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #6927
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Went to see In To The Spiderverse and liked what I saw. Unfortunately we brought my cousins 6 year old son and it was too intense for him so I took him home. What I saw I really enjoyed. My 8 year old loved it so I may take him to see it again.

We also watched The House With A Clock In The Walls the other night. Jesus Christ, that movie should not be PG and was marketed all wrong.

They made it seem like a Goosebumps, fun halloween type movie and it was WAY darker than that. Both my kids, 8 and 5, were crying an hour in so we turned it off. My daughter now refuses to go to bed without one of us there every night since.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #6928
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Wreck-it-Ralph 2 - 5/10
The Grinch - 6/10

Putting these together since they are both similar in many respects, especially in that neither really needs to even exist in the first place.

The kids liked them, so maybe they should be higher since they are obviously the target, but I was pretty bored for most of them. The Grinch gets a slightly higher score because it had to fight against the fact that I already knew the whole story and didn't really see the point in making another Grinch movie.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 01-03-2019, 12:06 AM   #6929
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Watching The Favourite and El Royale tonight, excited as hell for both.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - 8/10 - Visually stunning, every vignette was good but I really liked the old prospector's story. I think that is some of the most beautiful scenery ever put to film. I just want to plant a house there and hide from the world. Was hoping coming in that the stories would all involve Buster Scruggs in some way, but wasn't terribly disappointed that they didn't. Not the Coen Bros best overall, but easily more engaging than their last movie which I can't even remember the name of right now. It's probably solidly better than 50% of their stuff, and it is visually their most impressive work IMO.

Revenge - 6/10 - Thought this was a pretty good revenge story, but I felt let down slightly by the lack of torture in the revenge. I need more satisfying deaths for the antagonists.. Thought the gore was way over the top and kind of overshadowed the narrative, but I guess they needed something to get people talking. Nobody in the world loses that damn much blood without passing out. Overall it was good enough, but I don't get a lot of the high praise I have seen for it. It was a direct to DVD type movie with exceptional gore, that's about it.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 01-03-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:17 AM   #6930
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Adventures in Public School - 8/10 - Now this is a movie almost nobody seems to know about. There isn't any discussion of it on Reddit anywhere, not a lot of reviews of it either.. But it is one of the most enjoyable comedies I have seen recently. There is little to no conflict, the roles are played super loose, resulting in a feel good comedy similar to something like Cedar Rapids, but a little more unrealistic. Judy Greer is great in it as an overbearing but loving home school mom who reluctantly lets her son (who is an excellently awkward and likeable weirdo) go to public school for a while before he goes off to college. She eventually decides to help him rebel by going through a checklist of different ways kids rebel with him and it is silly and loose and it makes for a nice little diversion that works really well as eye bleach if you just watched something really intense.

Honestly quite surprised it isn't a little more well known than it is, because pretty much all of the characters are quite likable. I'd liken it somewhat to a long episode of Parks and Rec in tone.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 01-03-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:15 AM   #6931
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The Favourite - 9/10 Loved it. Not the best black comedy I have ever watched, but easily Lanthimos' most accessible film IMO, and very funny. Great performances, incredible costumes, and overall just a very enjoyable film that really gets going once Emma Stone's Abigail shows up.

FUCK EA
Old 01-04-2019, 10:59 PM   #6932
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Tears of the Sun
7.5/10

Tears of the Sun - 8/10

Solid kick-ass Bruce Willis action flick. I've seen it several times now but saw it again on Netflix tonight. One of the better war movies I've seen and would put it in my top 5.

I may have to buy the Blu-Ray to watch the specials.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:37 PM   #6933
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Bad Times at the El Royale - 10/10 I thought this movie was at least as good as Three Billboards when it comes to how engrossing it all was. I was hooked from the outset and it is hard to find fault with anything I saw. Felt like a sort of combination of Identity and a heist film. Thought it was well written, well shot and well directed and I'd consider Goddard one of my favorite writer/directors after seeing this.

FUCK EA
Old 01-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #6934
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - 10/10

I can't say enough good things about this movie. As great as some of the live-action super-hero movies of the past have been, this is really the first movie I've seen that truly captures the feel of a comic book as a movie. And not just the visuals (though they are gorgeous and play a major role) but also the story and dialogue. I spent the whole movie feeling like a 12 year old again.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #6935
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - 10/10

I can't say enough good things about this movie. As great as some of the live-action super-hero movies of the past have been, this is really the first movie I've seen that truly captures the feel of a comic book as a movie. And not just the visuals (though they are gorgeous and play a major role) but also the story and dialogue. I spent the whole movie feeling like a 12 year old again.

Quedtion for ya and I realize you may not be able to answer it, but perhaps someone else can. I have never been a comic book fan. Just never got into them. I of course have seen and followed all the live action movies, and have enjoyed them.

If I wasn't ever the 12 year old enjoying comics, will I enjoy this movie?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:18 PM   #6936
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Quedtion for ya and I realize you may not be able to answer it, but perhaps someone else can. I have never been a comic book fan. Just never got into them. I of course have seen and followed all the live action movies, and have enjoyed them.

Chief, while it’s hard for me to answer this, because I have been, and still am, a fan of comics since I was a kid, if you’ve enjoyed the recent live action comic book movies, you’ll enjoy this one. For sure. It’s just a really great movie with an amazing visual style. My wife isn’t a comic book fan, but does enjoy most comic book movies, she’s very geek tolerant and friendly, as anyone married to me would need be, and she loved this movie.

Go see it and enjoy!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #6937
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

To echo what H_B said above, you definitely don't need to be a comic book fan to enjoy this movie. It might not hit a 10 for someone that doesn't geek out over the comic book aspect as much. Maybe like an 8 or 9 in that case. But it really is just a good movie all around. The main characters are like-able, the writing/dialogue is great, the soundtrack is great, the visuals are great, the story is entertaining. Go see it
Old 01-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #6938
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I was never a comic book fan but was really enjoying it until I left halfway through.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #6939
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

I've never bought a comic book in my life, and have mostly even given up on the absurd amount of comic book movies that have come out in recent years, but Spiderman Into the Spiderverse is just a straight up good movie, not by action/comic book inspired standards, just good in general imo.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:28 AM   #6940
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

A Dogs Way Home- 8/10

This movie is a serious roller coaster of emotions. We were all drained after it was over. My kids didn't know if they liked it or hated it, and one part my 5 year old literally was weeping. If you ever owned a pet, or have a soul, you will cry. Somewhat predictable, but in a good way.

Last edited by Lathum : 01-13-2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: wrong movie title
Old 01-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #6941
korme
Go Reds

So good you couldn't remember the title
Old 01-13-2019, 01:37 PM   #6942
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
So good you couldn't remember the title

haha, I keep doing that
Old 01-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #6943
molson
General Manager

On the Basis of Sex: 8.5/10

I feel like I rate every movie 8.5/10. Well, here's another one. The biopic concept isn't cool with the kids on reddit anymore (from what I've read), but I still feel like it's a terrific, if not always perfectly accurate way to present the story of the life of a person in an accessible manner.

Any movie with compelling scenes of moot courts and appellate arguments will get a high rating from me, as I've labored through both many times. I knew most of the story going in, but it was still super-inspiring to see it play out. The law stuff was basically on point, the personal stuff makes the movie.

I wasn't bored for a second.

Last edited by molson : 01-16-2019 at 08:57 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #6944
spleen1015
Coordinator

Solo: A Star Wars Story - 6/10

I thought the actors were decent enough representations for younger versions of these characters. Looks like they tried to set up a sequel that likely won't happen.

It wasn't great but it fits Star Wars, unlike The Last Jedi. I never did go see this in the theater because TLJ was such a disappointment. I think that is a big reason why Solo didn't do so well. People lost confidence in the people making Star Wars. I don't think it has anything to do with marketing like people think. I won't go see 9 in the theater for that very reason.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #6945
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Solo: A Star Wars Story - 6/10

I thought the actors were decent enough representations for younger versions of these characters. Looks like they tried to set up a sequel that likely won't happen.

It wasn't great but it fits Star Wars, unlike The Last Jedi. I never did go see this in the theater because TLJ was such a disappointment. I think that is a big reason why Solo didn't do so well. People lost confidence in the people making Star Wars. I don't think it has anything to do with marketing like people think. I won't go see 9 in the theater for that very reason.

I agree on the 6/10.

(Which means I won't bother with blu-ray unless its dirt cheap ... because I like watching the specials)

I tried watching it on a plane earlier and couldn't get into it. Watched it this past weekend when it hit Netflix and still couldn't get into it. Not sure why, it seemed "tedious" to me.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #6946
PilotMan
Head Coach

That's about what I was giving it after the first viewing, but like Rogue One, it gets better with each showing. It feels more like a part of the universe and the characters are memorable. It's about a 7.5 now for me.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #6947
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Solo ain’t perfect but it’s got some good parts.

Wish the sequel would happen but oh well.

Last edited by stevew : 01-17-2019 at 06:25 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #6948
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I agree on the 6/10.

(Which means I won't bother with blu-ray unless its dirt cheap ... because I like watching the specials)

I tried watching it on a plane earlier and couldn't get into it. Watched it this past weekend when it hit Netflix and still couldn't get into it. Not sure why, it seemed "tedious" to me.

I got the blu-ray mostly because I'm a collector. Donald Glover was great. It's hard to judge the guy playing Solo. If Harrison Ford wasn't on my mind then I think I really would've liked his performance. But as it is I just didn't see Harrison Ford. But the actor isn't a bad Solo, if that makes any sense.

Now I have to go rewatch it with Rifftrax.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #6949
Groundhog
Coordinator

I watched Solo on a flight and liked it better than I expected, but I didn't make it through a 2nd viewing with the wife without getting bored. Agree that it felt like a traditional Star Wars movie a lot more than the most recent SW film though.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #6950
Butter
Coordinator

Has nobody seen IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK?

GREAT acting, great score, great story. 9/10 from me. Seriously, that score. Best I've heard in a long time.

Was surprised it didn't get a Best Picture nod, but Black Klansman and Bohemian Rhapsody did.