Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #251
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I'm re-reading the series right now. The re-reading confirms to me that the second and third books are the best written fantasy books ever. Even though this is my third reading, I'm still having a hard time putting the books down.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #252
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Question - for those of who enjoy good science fiction but really can't stand Fantasy - is this remotely worth picking up?

Last edited by Crapshoot : 12-08-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #253
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Crapshoot: Yes. I enjoy both genres, but probably more SF than Fantasy. I get annoyed with Fantasy when it gets too contrived, trite and annoying, but this series isn't like that. If there's such as thing as "Hard" Fantasy (as there is "Hard" SF - i.e. straightforward plot and reality, though futurist, SF), this is probably it.

In fact, now that I think about it, I'd say there are a good few similarities between this and the work of Alastair Reynolds (Revelation Space, Chasm City), who I've read recently.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 12-08-2006 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Ah, thought of another adjective!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #254
wishbone
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Question - for those of who enjoy good science fiction but really can't stand Fantasy - is this remotely worth picking up?

I hate fantasy and got talked into reading the first of these. Then I had to get the 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Currently waiting for the 5th. The really nice thing about these is that there is not a lot of emphasis placed on spells, enchantments and magic. There is some of that stuff, but the meat of the story is in the political and personal relationships between the various characters. The story also moves along pretty well and is written in an interesting style (each chapter is from one person's point of view, but not necessarily of the same events).

People would ask me what I was reading and I would be embarrased to explain, but I couldn't stop reading them.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #255
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Yes. It's very "low" fantasy. In many ways it's a political story more than a fantasy story. There is very little in the way of magic. Very little in the way of magical beasts. It feels much more medival than fantastical. Rich story. Rich characters. A world of unbelievable depth and history.

Despite my love of fantasy, I tend to hate fantasy novels/series. I find them boring and cliched. I am not a real big fan of the LOTR series. I liked Dragon Lance when I was a kid, but as far as fantasy goes, that's it for me.

This series is on a whole other level.

Pick up the first book on paperback. If it's "too fantasy" for you, no big loss. If not, you're in for one hell of a ride.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #256
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Dola.

My wife is no fan of fantasy. Well, a little bit. She's Geek Tolerant. She openly mocked this series the first time she picked it up. Mocked it viciously.

She listened to "A Game of Thrones" on a drive from D.C. to Florida and was hooked. She's read 'em all.

The series really does transcend the genre for all the reasons everyone above has stated.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #257
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Despite my love of fantasy, I tend to hate fantasy novels/series. I find them boring and cliched. I am not a real big fan of the LOTR series.

Heretic!

Seriously, though, I agree with this series being more political than fantasy. When I describe these books to people, I tell them that they are more like historical novels than they are fantasy.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:21 AM   #258
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Despite my love of fantasy, I tend to hate fantasy novels/series. I find them boring and cliched. I am not a real big fan of the LOTR series. I liked Dragon Lance when I was a kid, but as far as fantasy goes, that's it for me.

That's funny thinking of LOTR as cliched, since probably the reason that it seems cliched is everyone copied Tolkien (who was much closer to original ).

As for boring, well, I'll give you that the Tom Bombadil side story wasn't all that grand.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:45 AM   #259
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
That's funny thinking of LOTR as cliched, since probably the reason that it seems cliched is everyone copied Tolkien (who was much closer to original ).

As for boring, well, I'll give you that the Tom Bombadil side story wasn't all that grand.

Exactly. Tolkien created the archetypes for almost every fantasy story that followed. He started it all. For that, I give him all the credit in the world. I didn't read Tolkien until I was in my late teens/early twenties. By that time I had been playing D&D for 10-15 years and had come up with more interesting, complex characters than Tolkien had.

Yes. I do hate Tom Bombadil.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:08 AM   #260
cschex
High School Varsity

I'll echo all the plaudits for the series and say that it hasn't mattered, in my experience, whether people are fans of fantasy or not. I've lent my copies out to almost a dozen people, some huge fantasy fans and some who'd never read a book in the genre, and they unanimously love it. Martin's strength is in his characters and dialogue, as well as the fact that there are no "rules" regarding the nominal good guys being untouchable. A Storm of Swords (the 3rd book in the series) is not only the greatest fantasy novel ever (IMO), but also one of the best books I've ever read in any genre.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:00 AM   #261
Anthony
Banned

Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow / Bright blue his jacket is and his boots are yellow / None has ever caught him yet, for Tom he is the master / His songs are stronger songs and his feet are faster
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:12 AM   #262
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow / Bright blue his jacket is and his boots are yellow / None has ever caught him yet, for Tom he is the master / His songs are stronger songs and his feet are faster

Do you know how I know you're gay?
Old 01-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #263
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I would love to see this series picked up by HBO (10-12 episodes for 1-2 seasons). There's probably not enough mass market appeal for the regular tv stations, but HBO might be able to do it justice.

Quote:
Another couple reasons for HBO

(1) I want to see all the gore and bloodshed in bright red
(2) I want the adult situations in the book to be portrayed (ex. incest)

Quote:
Yeah, you're probably right ... but the sibling incest is a central theme in the books and is an example of what TNT, Sci-Fi channels would not be able to portray properly (ex. without alot of backlash).

Okay, I called it first.

Great news.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #264
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Okay, I called it first.

Great news.

Way to blow your own horn.

Eeew, That's not a horn!

Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #265
cougarfreak
College Starter

Just wanted to say............I like fantasy, and decided to read this series. I'm halfway through the first book, and it's very, very good.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #266
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Just wanted to say............I like fantasy, and decided to read this series. I'm halfway through the first book, and it's very, very good.

I'd dare say that at half way through the first book, that you really have only the faintest hint of how good it is. Hold on to your hat. You are in for a wild ride. Enjoy.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:43 AM   #267
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I'd dare say that at half way through the first book, that you really have only the faintest hint of how good it is. Hold on to your hat. You are in for a wild ride. Enjoy.

i'd echo this...adding this earlier observation from the thread:

Quote:
A Storm of Swords (the 3rd book in the series) is not only the greatest fantasy novel ever (IMO), but also one of the best books I've ever read in any genre.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-09-2007 at 12:43 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:29 AM   #268
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I'm partway through A Clash of Kings (I don't have it on me, but I think about 25-50% through)

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #269
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm curious, is nobody else bothered by the fact that after 4 books we still don't really have a "main character" or "main storyline"? I've enjoyed the books somewhat, but I don't really get the feel that we are driving toward something. It seems more like reading history books.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #270
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I'm curious, is nobody else bothered by the fact that after 4 books we still don't really have a "main character" or "main storyline"? I've enjoyed the books somewhat, but I don't really get the feel that we are driving toward something. It seems more like reading history books.

Personally, I think that Jon and Dany qualify there. I think everything is driving towards those two.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:15 AM   #271
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Not at all.

I actually sort like the "like reading history books" aspect of the series. One of the richest things about the series is the feeling that the world is deep and that the history of what happened, from Aegon the Conquerer invading Westeros to Robert's Rebellion is important and feels as real, genuine, interesting, and important as what is going on right now.

As for main characters... Let me figure out how to work that spoiler text thing...
Old 04-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #272
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Personally, I think that Jon and Dany qualify there. I think everything is driving towards those two.

Agreed whole heartedly. I will go into more once I figure out the spoiler thing.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #273
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post

Yeah.. when i was halfway through the first book, i was ready to send TK some dead fish in the mail....

and then i made it through and books 2-4 are much better...

anyone know when the next book is due?
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:28 AM   #274
wade moore
lolzcat

Agreed with Honolulu on this... I like that it's not traditional in this sense, but also that Jon and Dany seem to be growing as the driving forces that will likely eventually be the center of the end of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #275
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
Yeah.. when i was halfway through the first book, i was ready to send TK some dead fish in the mail....

and then i made it through and books 2-4 are much better...

anyone know when the next book is due?

Sometime this year probably, but he's given no date. I would say late fall/winter.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #276
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

More thoughts:

Spoiler
Old 04-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #277
wade moore
lolzcat

H_B - we may want to just start a seperate thread rather than have a ton of spoiler tags .

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 04-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #278
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
H_B - we may want to just start a seperate thread rather than have a ton of spoiler tags .

Good point.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #279
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:

i'd rather only have to read the one thread, though...

that's just me.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #280
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think that's kinda the point of the whole series.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #281
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

that's just me.

No way I'm going to read a thread that is just a bunch of spoiler tags replying to spoiler tags.

If we want talk amongst folks that have read the books (because that's all H_B is doing really) to be separated from those that haven't, I think a separate thread makes WAY more sense than a zillion spoiler tags.

Quote:
Old 04-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #282
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

that's just me.

I agree. Keep it in one thread... perhaps just say there be spoilers in this thread and be done with it.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #283
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I agree. Keep it in one thread... perhaps just say there be spoilers in this thread and be done with it.

That would be fine with me too since I've read all of the books .

So - group decision - shall we put a warning in the thread title to tread carefully if you have not read up through the current books?

Quote:
Old 04-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #284
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
That would be fine with me too since I've read all of the books .

So - group decision - shall we put a warning in the thread title to tread carefully if you have not read up through the current books?

Sounds good to me.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #285
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Goodbye, thread.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #286
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry if I pushed this thread where it wasn't meant to go. I can certainly agree with everything said recently about some of the main characters and the point being to be more of a history book or epic series that doesn't have a traditional story line. I just find that a little hard to get into since I don't feel like I have an anchor. There is a lot of storytelling going on, but there are very few sympathetic characters and I find it hard to understand the point of the story without having that anchor.

This is also just one opinion, and I appreciate hearing from others on their view of the series. It is certainly non-traditional at the very least.

I'm happy to avoid spoilers at this point since my main questions have been answered.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #287
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Sorry if I pushed this thread where it wasn't meant to go. I can certainly agree with everything said recently about some of the main characters and the point being to be more of a history book or epic series that doesn't have a traditional story line. I just find that a little hard to get into since I don't feel like I have an anchor. There is a lot of storytelling going on, but there are very few sympathetic characters and I find it hard to understand the point of the story without having that anchor.

This is also just one opinion, and I appreciate hearing from others on their view of the series. It is certainly non-traditional at the very least.

I'm happy to avoid spoilers at this point since my main questions have been answered.

Well, by spoilers I mean talk about the existing books..

I know from my perspective that I'm frustrated that there's no outlet to talk about the book because of so many reading this for new book updates, board game updates, tv show updates, etc that haven't read all of the book...

Quote:
Old 04-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #288
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I know from my perspective that I'm frustrated that there's no outlet to talk about the book because of so many reading this for new book updates, board game updates, tv show updates, etc that haven't read all of the book...

I certainly won't stop you if you want to start a topic to talk about the books. I'll probably contribute if I can remember enough details about the story.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #289
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think this thread is appropriate for such discussion, I will just have to bow out of the thread at that point. You could maybe put it in a Book 5 thread. *shrug*. I'm just interested in what's best for me.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #290
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

The thread has already been spoily at times if I remember correctly. If you're going to post a spoiler / have a spoiler discussion, just warn the reader before you start going into details.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:49 PM   #291
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

New entry on GRRM's LJ:
http://grrm.livejournal.com/15035.html

a good day's dancing
I had a good day's work on A DANCE WITH DRAGONS yesterday.

It's one o'clock in the afternoon as I write this, and I'm just working on my morning cup of coffee, still half-conscious. One of the things that happens when I'm writing well is that all my normal schedules go out the window. I vanish into Westeros, and lose all track of time in the real world.

Which is what happened yesterday. I finished an old chapter that had been partially written months ago, did a lot of work on a newer chapter that I'd decided to add to the early part of the book, revised a couple of other sections, made some structural changes to the outline... in other words, I spent the whole day at DANCE. By the time I noticed that it had gotten dark outside, it was already close to ten o'clock at night. I worked a little more, finally signed off, went across the street and had a midnight supper, but I was too wound up to go to sleep... which is also something that happens when the book has me in its grip. So I watched a little television that TIVO had caught for me earlier (oh, I love my TIVO), then read some of the latest Bernard Cornwell (excellent, as always), and finally went to bed around three. And even then I did not go straight to sleep, but tossed and turned for a long while, my mind full of Dany and Jon and Q and so forth and so on.

It was the most productive day I've had in months, at least where DANCE is concerned (I have had very productive days working on the WILD CARDS, dealing with contracts and subrights, approving artwork and design and giving notes about some of the spinoff projects, and the like, but that's a different thing). One thing that helped that happen was that yesterday, for whatever reason, the world left me alone. The phone never rang. No one came knocking on my doors. None of my friends dropped in unexpectedly. I had no doctor's appointments, no dinner dates, nothing on my calendar but work. I did not even go out for my usual daily walk to get some exercise in.

I need more days like this. Lots more days like this. That's how DANCE will get done. I have lots of writer friends who can turn it off and on at will, who can live their lives and do their work as well, even work on one project in the morning and switch to an entirely different project in the afternoon... but that's never worked for me. When it's going well, my writing tends to swallow me. And when "the world is too much with us," well, that always throws me off my game.

In the past, though, one good day does often lead to another, and another, and another. So you'll have to excuse me, friends. I'm going back to Westeros...
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #292
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I want his life. Out for a midnight supper.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:19 PM   #293
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Damn... here is wishing for far more productive days in the near future for GRRM.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #294
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I hate to say this, but I'm increasingly worried he's going to die before he finishes this thing.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #295
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Always a possibility (he's no spring chicken), so stop all this other BS, GRRM, and get to work!!

I'm really only half joking though.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #296
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I hate to say this, but I'm increasingly worried he's going to die before he finishes this thing.

Jordan. Robert Jordan is the one who will most likely die before finishing his series. (he has been diagnosed with a terminal disease, though I don't know what his life expectancy prognosis is/was)

That said, GRRM isn't exactly a spring chicken.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #297
timmynausea
College Starter

I haven't read any of his stuff, but I remember reading that Jordan is doing really well at this point. Here, there's stuff about it on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_jordan

It has also crossed my mind that GRRM could die before completing the series. He's a big guy.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #298
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ok, then... here's the plan. We have GRRM have "productive days" while at the same time sneaking a diet on him. We may even put a sub on a rope attached to a stick which he'll have to chase (but no longer than a half-hour unless he hasn't done X amount of hours on Song of Ice and Fire ).

That'll get us our books!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #299
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Ok, then... here's the plan. We have GRRM have "productive days" while at the same time sneaking a diet on him. We may even put a sub on a rope attached to a stick which he'll have to chase (but no longer than a half-hour unless he hasn't done X amount of hours on Song of Ice and Fire ).

That'll get us our books!

A solid plan, though might I recommend some New Jersey/New York style pizza (of which he is obssessed with) in place of the sub.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #300
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
He's a big guy.

His descriptions of feasts make me hungry.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote