Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Bodie Miller

Why should I root for this guy? Isn't he just the latest incarnation of the reluctant warrior? I'm pretty damn tired of it, I have to say.

sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I really, really, really hate this jingoistic NBC coverage. Miller is just a part of it. Since he may have a chance to medal, NBC must endlessly promote him.

Bah! Show me some good athletes from OTHER countries. I want to know the best players, not just the best American players.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Bah! Show me some good athletes from OTHER countries. I want to know the best players, not just the best American players.

But you're in a pretty distinct minority of viewers in that regard. And given the concerns over lack of interest in this particular Olympics, I imagine you going to get an even heavier dose of U-S-A coverage in the first few days.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
But you're in a pretty distinct minority of viewers in that regard. And given the concerns over lack of interest in this particular Olympics, I imagine you going to get an even heavier dose of U-S-A coverage in the first few days.
Perhaps the ratings are down because of the jingoist attitude. It gets old and tired. I think Americans would like seeing the Hermanator try to win Gold again or other extrodinary foriegn athletes who totally outclass the competition.

Most people I know just roll their eyes as this "Greatest American Team Ever" crap.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-10-2006 at 07:34 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Why should I root for this guy? Isn't he just the latest incarnation of the reluctant warrior? I'm pretty damn tired of it, I have to say.

I completely agree. I don't like his attitude, and I'm tired of the coverage of him already.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #6
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I don't really understand some of the athletes of today. If you want to be the best in the world, which I think has at least crossed your mind if you are an olympic level athlete and have trained your entire life for a few it, why would you even consider not going back to the games?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:10 PM   #7
Rizon
Pro Starter

I'm going to root for him to fall flat on his face and slide for a few dozen yards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(shameless plug http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=47103 )

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #9
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I've met Bode before. He's a New Hampshire kid and I've snowboarded/skiied with he and his former coach. He was a nice guy, so i'm certainly rooting for him to do well!

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 02-10-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:36 PM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I will be watching CBC coverage.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:58 PM   #11
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I want him to do well. I always want americans to do well, even if I don't particularly like them. I don't really mind the guy.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:18 PM   #12
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am rooting for Miller.

He's a regular guy. He made some nonsensical claims, just like we all have done in the past. He doesn't bullshit it, so rather then pretend to be something hes not he gives it to you straight up.

I'd rather it be that way then with some guys you can tell are two faced.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #13
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

The thing that bothers me most is his name is spelled "Bode" and he pronounces it "Bode-ee".
Old 02-10-2006, 11:53 PM   #14
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This is the guy who hates all the media attention, and points this out during all of his endless media appearances, right?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:05 AM   #15
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
This is the guy who hates all the media attention, and points this out during all of his endless media appearances, right?

yeah
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:14 AM   #16
st.cronin
General Manager

Bode Miller is a jackass; I'm looking forward to the day he gets served a nice plate of humble pie.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:21 AM   #17
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Detox, you said it well my friend. I don't know if I will be rooting for him, though. When I was an adolescent and younger, I really got into rooting for America's athletes. I don't seem to care all that much anymore. I basically just want to see awesome performances. I will be rooting for USA in hockey, though. I guess it's less "I don't care about America", and more "I don't care about skeleton or any of that bullshit"
Old 02-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #18
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Perhaps the ratings are down because of the jingoist attitude. It gets old and tired. I think Americans would like seeing the Hermanator try to win Gold again or other extrodinary foriegn athletes who totally outclass the competition.

Most people I know just roll their eyes as this "Greatest American Team Ever" crap.

I agree. That's what the Olympics are about - international competition. A chance to see athletes you normally wouldn't - though as it stands I probably won't watch. The more they get away from competition and go to all these heartwarming stories and crap, the less I want to watch. As for the coverage of the Americans, I heard an add on the radio a couple days ago. "Watch Bodie to this...watch Jane compete in this...watch Dick go for the gold...". They referred to each (American) athlete by their first name - and besides the drunken asshat, I had no idea who they were referring to. Ah well, I guess that's what the inspiring biographies during the coverage are for.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:17 AM   #19
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
The thing that bothers me most is his name is spelled "Bode" and he pronounces it "Bode-ee".

Is that his fault, or his parents? If it is his birth name, it is quite strange to hold that against him. It's like blaming him for the press coverage of him, as if he has NBC and Time on his own personal payroll.

It is normal for people on a different beat than the 'norm' to be attacked for it.

Last edited by Tekneek : 02-11-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #20
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I will be watching CBC coverage.

This is the best way to go. They actually show events live
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:03 AM   #21
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

I have to disagree here...

The only reason I care about the Olympics is to root for the US, and I think a LARGE majority of the US feels the same way.. I mean, these are sports we could care LESS about for 3 9/10's years.. the only reason we magically care is we can root for the US to beat all of those "other" bastards.. it's the nature of the Olympic Games and I bet it is the same in other countries also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:30 AM   #22
Super Ugly
High School JV

Quote:
the only reason we magically care is we can root for the US to beat all of those "other" bastards.. it's the nature of the Olympic Games and I bet it is the same in other countries also...

Not really, we'll just cheer on anyone who beats the Americans.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote