Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-16-2014, 11:40 PM   #1001
PilotMan
Head Coach

Hey in the meantime we just picked up a 725k payout after a 15% transfer payout kicked in when our best young player was signed by Tottenham from Bournemouth for 4.6M.

Sooooo, to recap. We have now made enough this year to cover our expenses from last year without any CL money. We picked up a 2-1 win in the home leg against Legia but I doubt that we'll fare that well in Poland. A loss puts another 2.75M in the coffers. Who knows what that will mean for this team?

#notfirstworldproblems

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 08-16-2014 at 11:41 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:10 AM   #1002
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Hey in the meantime we just picked up a 725k payout after a 15% transfer payout kicked in when our best young player was signed by Tottenham from Bournemouth for 4.6M.

Sooooo, to recap. We have now made enough this year to cover our expenses from last year without any CL money. We picked up a 2-1 win in the home leg against Legia but I doubt that we'll fare that well in Poland. A loss puts another 2.75M in the coffers. Who knows what that will mean for this team?

#notfirstworldproblems

I'd transfer you a cool $10m if I could!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:52 AM   #1003
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

So sad DT

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:53 AM   #1004
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Really excited about this guy we just acquired, but I honestly cannot take him seriously.

I can never take Canadians seriously either...

Old 08-17-2014, 12:54 AM   #1005
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
So sad DT

LOL
Old 08-17-2014, 01:02 AM   #1006
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

So I'm not sure what positions on my team I can blow $300m on.

#firstworldproblems

I have something sort of similar as well. We are a young team and aren't playing in Europe this season. I have $48 mil to spend, but don't have anyone to spend it on as my players have more potential than what is on the market, especially since the top-notch players aren't interested due to us not playing in Europe currently.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:11 AM   #1007
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - and anyone who I could buy who could like...improve on the young players that I have coming into the team isn't moving. I offered Juventus $200m for Pogba and they turned it down. Same thing for A.C. Milan and El Sharaway.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:16 AM   #1008
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if Juve's board would overturn that IRL?
Old 08-17-2014, 01:19 AM   #1009
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
I wonder if Juve's board would overturn that IRL?

As much as I <3 Pogba, they totally would. It might also be because of the time of year - it's between the last game of the season and the formal "season end" date - I might have more luck during a transfer window?

Was just trying to spend some of it before the formal "end of season" calendar rollover in case they take it away.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:23 AM   #1010
whomario
Pro Starter

Level: League 1

Had to sell a couple good players, but was able to at least loan back my 18 year old left back for 2 more years

I also signed freaking Wayne Rooney to a Player/Staff contract ! Aged 34 and fading, but still a major player at this level and i instantly got a message about it being good for shirt sales. My attemdannce is also skyrocketing from about 2000 to close to 4000 on early impression.

Going to run a paralell game in Japan ([FM14] Japanese League - Downloads - Football Manager 2014 Tactics, Wonderkids & Cheats) along with a bunch of other asian leagues added from a pack called "megapack 73 updates by claasen". Going to sim/holiday a test run now while visiting the parents, then will start a save tonight if nothing weird comes up.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #1011
MrBug708
Head Coach

Any words of advice for someone starting off a new career as a LLM? Seems like I cant afford anyone!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #1012
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Any words of advice for someone starting off a new career as a LLM? Seems like I cant afford anyone!

Depending upon how low, whether you're modded, etc. your best bet might be getting your best players via the youth pull. That's been my best source in the L9 US mod at least.

Scouting is, as always, important (although if you're like me then they aren't great & they aren't finding a lot). The one trick/tip I never used before that has been valuable in this career is to participate in transfer deadline day & use the rumors section as a means of identifying players to specifically target for scouting. You may or may not be able to snipe players from deals that were rumored but you will end up with a better overall pool of players scouted to choose from going forward (how my scouts missed out on some of them I still don't know).
Old 08-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #1013
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Adu looks to restart in Serbia - ESPN FC

In this Freddy Adu to Serbia article, they namedrop how a fan apparently put him on their FM team and he was dominant. lolz
Old 08-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #1014
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Find a nice higher league team to affiliate with and get loan players from, and don't discount older players who are on their last legs as you try to build your youth up for the future.

And yes, deadline day and open trial days.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #1015
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Definitely try to get affiliated with a higher division club. Depending on what country you are playing in, you can often find young talents with potential sitting around in some of the African countries. Also, I check out (obscure) national teams, especially U19 teams. I know some of this goes against the house rules for LLM, but I don't really care
Old 08-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #1016
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Depending on how low you are, focus on physical traits. A 15 speed attacker in the Skrills can do wonders.

Last edited by JPhillips : 08-17-2014 at 12:47 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #1017
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Adu looks to restart in Serbia - ESPN FC

In this Freddy Adu to Serbia article, they namedrop how a fan apparently put him on their FM team and he was dominant. lolz

That's awesome!

Old 08-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #1018
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Have transfer bids set to "Reject All" on my 22 yo captain. Thankfully my board isn't money hunger because we just rejected a $72 million bid for him from Man City and $59 million bid from PSG.

I'm really impressed by the AI transfer spending in '14. In past versions, no way would teams go after players like this.

And just rejected a $115 mil bid from Tottenham.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #1019
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Well I figured out what it'd take to pry away El Sharaway (one of the top 2 most valuable players in the world who i don't already own). AC Milan rejected $225m, but accepted $315m. So somewhere in there...
Old 08-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #1020
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Wow!
Old 08-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #1021
whomario
Pro Starter

The coolest FM-related thing you´ll see today: MEGA

a save game from 2113 with the top teams playable as well as a few from around the word. I just spent an hour browsing through the save, discovering all sorts of incredible tidbits. Like a french striker named Damien Pereira being the best PL goal scorer nine seasons and scoring 385 goals in 566 games for Chelsea. And that puts him only 2nd at the club, another dude scored 416 in 591.

It also, again, makes me wish for more stats be available. If i am not missing it, the game does not even show me the top all time scorers in a league/competition.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 08-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #1022
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow!

Yeah. Unfortunately I'm down to only $296m in my kitty due to a couple smaller signings so I couldn't do it even if I could stomach the price (which I can't).
Old 08-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #1023
whomario
Pro Starter

it also makes me want to do sth like that and jump in in like 2030 or so. It seems to me, that the game really shines later on with the existing players gone.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #1024
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
it also makes me want to do sth like that and jump in in like 2030 or so. It seems to me, that the game really shines later on with the existing players gone.

I just bought the best player in the world for $310M. It was more than worth it. Jersey sales through the roof and we're moving up the standings. This was in 2034. Fictitious player database.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-17-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #1025
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

Yeah, the game gets fun, but the money gets a bit loopy. Revenues/wages/etc. through the roof.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #1026
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Interesting to see the world evolving in my current game. 2022, Qatar, Ukraine, Australia and Iraq all made the quarter finals of the World Cup. Qatar lost to Portugal in the final. To be fair though, it looks like Qatar had a fair amount of luck. They were a distant second to Chile in their group. Saudi Arabia and Guinea also made it out of their groups.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #1027
korme
Go Reds

I'd like to see this fixed in FM15.

I agree, we don't need two GMs. But my current GMs contract expires in a few weeks...

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:10 AM   #1028
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, you should be able to set staff to "Set for Release".
Old 08-18-2014, 12:55 AM   #1029
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

#notfirstworldproblems

We traveled all the way to Poland with a 2-1 lead. We went out with an attacking 433 figuring we are either going to put up some goals or go out in a blaze of glory. Either way, this wildly successful run has been fun. The CL group stage would be next if we could find a way to hold on.

We started well, converting a penalty just 6 minutes in and took a 1-0 lead into halftime. I gave the boys a stern speech and made sure they stayed professional and finished the task. That was all it took. Legia couldn't deal with our fast counters and darting, varied attacks. We got our second at 64 and another at 67. Then I knew. I knew that we were going to move on.

5-1 aggregate, the minnows from Larne are through to the group stage of the Champions League. I'm pretty sure no other Northern Irish team has been this deep in the tournament in a long, long time. If ever. Totally unexpected.

We just picked up 11.26M for making the group stage. Holy shit. Plus more if we get any results in the playoffs. Wow.

I bet the new continental sponsor that we picked up is super happy about that 10k dollar investment they made. They've certainly gotten plenty of mileage out of it. Lol.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 08-18-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:14 AM   #1030
PilotMan
Head Coach

Here is our group:

#41 Larne - N Irelend
#23 Ajax - Netherlands
#17 Galatasaray - Turkey
#2 FC Bayern - Germany

Semi-Pro bitches!

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 08-18-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 AM   #1031
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm pretty sure I'll get fired at some point after this. Expectations are going to be so high, I'll never be able to achieve this again.

Like Steam?

Old 08-18-2014, 04:33 AM   #1032
mrtourette
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Interesting to see the world evolving in my current game. 2022, Qatar, Ukraine, Australia and Iraq all made the quarter finals of the World Cup. Qatar lost to Portugal in the final. To be fair though, it looks like Qatar had a fair amount of luck. They were a distant second to Chile in their group. Saudi Arabia and Guinea also made it out of their groups.

That's nothing, Wales beat France in the final of the 2018 World Cup in mine. I mean France in the Word Cup final, just crazy.
mrtourette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #1033
PilotMan
Head Coach

I got that one. England won in 2018 in mine.

Like Steam?

Old 08-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #1034
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I got that one. England won in 2018 in mine.

England won 2014 in mine.

I figured the game was broken.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #1035
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh. England won 2014 in mine as well....against Mexico.

Followed by France beating Russia in 2018.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #1036
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

How does transfer value work? When I look at a player I see their current paycheck, as well as their value. Sometimes when I try to sell one of these players that is worth say 3 million I don't get any offers, even on a free. Does this have to do with how much their contract is?
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #1037
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Re-posting to here. Soccer thread, FM thread, is there really a difference?

As a side...have any of you managed to create a 4-3-3 (more accurately a 4-1-2-2-1 (4 defenders, 1 dm, 2 mc, 2 am, 1 st) with anything other than control/short passing/tiki-taka-esque instructions?

I've tried and tried and tried to run an up-tempo tactic with that formation, and we just surrender massive amounts of possession, and are almost always outnumbered on shot attempts.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #1038
whomario
Pro Starter

wage expectation is a huge issue (and if you already pay him decently, he´ll want more with his next club), also depends on your current state. If you are a bottom feeder Division 1 team, your players will be too expensive for Div2 teams and not good enough for the better teams.

Another factor is timing. When you offer someone late in the transfer period or in the winter period, team might have already spent all their money.

Last edited by whomario : 08-18-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #1039
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

As a side...have any of you managed to create a 4-3-3 (more accurately a 4-1-2-2-1 (4 defenders, 1 dm, 2 mc, 2 am, 1 st) with anything other than control/short passing/tiki-taka-esque instructions?

I've tried and tried and tried to run an up-tempo tactic with that formation, and we just surrender massive amounts of possession, and are almost always outnumbered on shot attempts.

I'll send you what I use/used for my Arsenal team with that exact tactic (4-1-2-2-1) if you want. I played more attacking with it originally and had success, but once I shifted to a 4-2-2-2 as my more attacking tactic (due to the # of quality strikers I had to get time for) I did shift it to more control/possession based and IMO it has worked even better that way.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #1040
whomario
Pro Starter

@ CW: I am playing a 4-4-2 diamond with no instructions other than "higher tempo" and getting good results and a high number of shots without much posession. I´d wage you could try sth similar dropping 1 striker back.

What team/level are you playing at ?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #1041
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Nope.

Quote:

Is that two wingers, or two central AMs?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #1042
dolfin
High School JV

That's 2 wingers ( at least for me ). I've been using a similar tactic in the Skrill South. Had pretty good success in my previous season, but this season in struggling mightely!

Last edited by dolfin : 08-18-2014 at 11:30 AM.
dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #1043
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If it's 4-DM-2CM-AMR/L-1, then the only way I've ever gotten it to work was to sit deep, counter at pace and cede possession, or do the tiki-taka approach. I never got the thing to do anything in the middle between those two extremes.

I don't use it anymore because the form issues of the 3 attackers and their ability to (or not to) work together will HOLY FUCK mess with your psyche.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #1044
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Along the same lines as the "how does value" work, I've got a question about the constant refusal to even negotiate.

Playing the U.S. 9Level mod, I've promoted to level 4 (USL-East). Still, consistent with what I saw at level 5 where I started, I rarely find anyone willing to negotiate and with the same basic message in 90% of the cases. The exact wording escapes me at the moment but it's something along the lines of "the offer is not enough for me to considering relocating" ... the problem being that I haven't made any offer.

I thought that it might be something to do with my offer to their current club (in most cases the clubs have been happy enough to let me negotiate with the player for $0 to them) but now I'm seeing that same thing from players who are out of contract.

Are they anticipating the max salary my owner will allow me to offer?
Are they simply not interested because of our stature?
(I've gotten a message about "would not be a good career move" in a few instances, that seems to be what stature would trigger)

Is there some odd bug where it's really the latter but the message is simply giving the wrong reason for the refusal to even discuss terms?

I really don't have a big problem with being turned down, not really complaining about the notion than a guy doesn't want to move from the Pac Northwest to play in Conyers, GA. I'd just sort of like to know why they won't even hear the offer before rejecting it.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #1045
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
If it's 4-DM-2CM-AMR/L-1, then the only way I've ever gotten it to work was to sit deep, counter at pace and cede possession, or do the tiki-taka approach. I never got the thing to do anything in the middle between those two extremes.

I don't use it anymore because the form issues of the 3 attackers and their ability to (or not to) work together will HOLY FUCK mess with your psyche.

I actually found that using it with 2 inside forwards at the AM L/R spots helped a lot with the goal-scoring and form issues. That way you're not just depending on your 2 AM's to feed your sole striker, but instead you're relying on really any of those 3 guys to make something happen in space and/or play in one of the others. Probably works even better with a target man or a deep-lying forward (I typically had my guy set as an attacking forward) who would further drag the defense out of position and open holes for the inside forwards to run into.

I think the problem is that you're liable to not have your CM's in position to relieve pressure and thus end up turning the ball over I'd imagine.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-18-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #1046
path12
Coordinator

I've been using it in my Millwall game, no promotion yet but playoff last two years. It is kinda of tiki-taka I guess.

Standard mentality, attacking complete fullback on the left side with attacking AML inside forward. On the right regular support fullback with support winger to provide service to the AML and poaching FC. Attacking advanced playmaker/support box to box with defending DM. With the left back foward the other three defenders need to play narrower otherwise you get carved open too much.

Playing out of defense, hassle opponents. Tons of possession, usually 12-15 decent chances. I think the tactic will scale up to better players.

Last edited by path12 : 08-18-2014 at 12:02 PM.
path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #1047
PilotMan
Head Coach

My 433 tries to emulate that to some extent but it's not identical in setup. We play a fast, attacking pace with little possession and strong counters. It's been effective at putting up a lot of shots and my players are far from technically sound.

Back 4 are a straight across WB, LD, LD, WB.

I have tall CD's who rarely get forward and WB's who are more fast than technical. They can get forward but will race back when they are out of position. It's not the Complete instruction as they have to have more defense.

In mid I'm set with 3 straight across CM. B2B AM B2B.

The B2B guys are critical at getting back and covering space along with feeding the AM who I prefer to have speed to support attacks. He also should have some passing skills.

Up front again, 3 straight across forwards. F9, P (or Complete in the case of our Captain), F9.

Again, speed kills. The F9's drop deep to help the mid out while the Poacher just hangs out keeping pressure on the center line. When the attack comes it usually starts with a CD feeding a B2B, then feeding a forward or attacking WB. When the WB's move up it creates too much space for the back line to deal with the 3 CF's plus the AM coming up.

We generate a ton of pressure. Iv'e seen as many as 31 shots on goal.

As for instructions we Pass into space, run at defense, play narrower, drop deeper, pace higher. No specific passing or closing instructions given.

We will bend at the back but generally the defenders can hog space and hold up play enough for the formation to regroup and defend.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 08-18-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #1048
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The way I've got it set right now -

Fullback (A)
Central Def (D)
Central Def (D)
Fullback (A)
Anchorman (D) (I've tried him as various roles at times)
Midfield, I've tried a combo of AP/A and B2B/S, though I've seemingly had better luck with a tandem of AP/S and AP/A.
AML and AMR are set to inside forward.
Striker, I've usually kept on Poacher, though I've experimented with False 9 and Adv Forward as well.

Just doesn't seem to do a damn thing unless I go a tiki-taka on it, but I just have moral objection to it.

Base instructions have usually been something along the lines of:

High Tempo, Pass into Space, Shorter Passing, Play out of Defense, Hassle Opponents.

The Vision (tm) was a fast paced setup that is neither real direct, nor ultra short passing. I've tried it without Shorter Passing tic'd, and lemme tell you...I had like 30% possession.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #1049
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Along the same lines as the "how does value" work, I've got a question about the constant refusal to even negotiate.

Playing the U.S. 9Level mod, I've promoted to level 4 (USL-East). Still, consistent with what I saw at level 5 where I started, I rarely find anyone willing to negotiate and with the same basic message in 90% of the cases. The exact wording escapes me at the moment but it's something along the lines of "the offer is not enough for me to considering relocating" ... the problem being that I haven't made any offer.

I've had this, though not necessarily about relocating. I've had players flat out refuse to even negotiate, stating essentially (IIRC) that the club wasn't big enough, or the competition wasn't good enough, etc....
Old 08-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #1050
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
The way I've got it set right now -

Fullback (A)
Central Def (D)
Central Def (D)
Fullback (A)
Anchorman (D) (I've tried him as various roles at times)
Midfield, I've tried a combo of AP/A and B2B/S, though I've seemingly had better luck with a tandem of AP/S and AP/A.
AML and AMR are set to inside forward.
Striker, I've usually kept on Poacher, though I've experimented with False 9 and Adv Forward as well.

Just doesn't seem to do a damn thing unless I go a tiki-taka on it, but I just have moral objection to it.

Base instructions have usually been something along the lines of:

High Tempo, Pass into Space, Shorter Passing, Play out of Defense, Hassle Opponents.

The Vision (tm) was a fast paced setup that is neither real direct, nor ultra short passing. I've tried it without Shorter Passing tic'd, and lemme tell you...I had like 30% possession.

Have you tried getting rid of High Tempo? When I use that shout with weaker teams, my defenders just panic and hoof the ball down the pitch. I've had better luck just setting mentality to Counter. They still up the tempo when there is a counter opportunity.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote