Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
14ers
High School Varsity

I dare you to read this Speed Racer review by Roger Ebert!

Remember you must read the entire review before posting in this thread!

First I thought Ebert was dead, but he is still listed as one of the reviewers over at rotten.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/speed_racer/
Quote:
Roger Ebert
Chicago Sun-Times
Top Critic

And here is a link to his review.
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...115192456/1023

Quote:
Speed Racer

// / May 8, 2008

Cast & Credits
Speed: Emile Hirsch
Racer X: Matthew Fox
Trixie: Christina Ricci
Spritle: Paulie Litt
Mom: Susan Sarandon
Pops: John Goodman

Warner Bros. presents a film written and directed by Andy and Larry Wachowski. Based on the animated 1967 TV series "Mahha GoGoGo," created by Tatsuo Yoshida. Running time: 129 minutes. Rated PG (for sequences of action, some violence and language).

Printer-friendly »
E-mail this to a friend »

By Jim Emerson, editor
Evil is not a primary color. That is the point of the Wachowski brothers' video-arcade treatment of "Speed Racer," insofar as one can be determined. Blue, you can trust. Red and yellow, black and white -- they're all decent visible wavelengths. It's purple you have to watch out for.

This is notable only because whatever information that passes from your retinas to your brain during "Speed Racer" is conveyed through optical design and not so much through more traditional devices such as dialogue, narrative, performance or characterization. Like the animated TV series that inspired this movie, you could look at it with the sound off and it wouldn't matter.

"Speed Racer" is not a feature film in any conventional sense -- although there is nothing so conventional in today's marketplace as a corporate product based on a campy vintage TV show that is developed for extremely brief exhibition in multiplexes on its way to more appropriate platforms such as DVD and video games, which provide the principal justification for its manufacture in the first place.

Neither is "Speed Racer" a commercial avant-garde film (though fans of the Wachowski brothers may wish to make such claims), unless you still consider Laserium shows of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" to be cutting edge. (Lights! Shapes! Colors! Motion! Money!) And there's nothing terribly adventurous these days about Eisensteinian montage treated as if it were William S. Burroughs' "cut up" technique -- with digital clips randomly scrambled like pixelated confetti.

Nor is it some kind of subversive commodity, unless the outré strategy of pandering to a low-brow, retro-nostalgic crowd can be considered anything but business as usual in 2008. The faux naivete on display here -- right down to the imitation-fruit-flavored FDA-food-dye coloring -- is both shamelessly quaint and shamelessly cynical.

For a certain generation of American kids, "Speed Racer" was our introduction to the lo-fi animated form now known as "anime." At the time, we just thought it was cheapo Japanese animation: flat, static, dubbed into badly translated English and barely "animated" at all, given that the frame only seemed to change approximately two times per second and the "moving" backgrounds were made up of about four cyclically repeating drawings instead of the eight or so we were used to seeing in Hanna-Barbera cartoons. The faster Speed went, the slower the sequence of backgrounds. Wow.

To us, this show was just filler between after-school reruns of "Gilligan's Island" and "The Munsters." We watched it because it was on, and it was in color.

Now the Wachowski brothers (of the "Matrix" movies) have spent $100 million on a mixture of photography and digital animation and called it "Speed Racer." They have captured (almost) all the chintziness, inexpressiveness and incoherence of the TV show in two hours and nine minutes, or about two hours too long, give or take. Yet some of us would just rather re-rent "Tron" (1982), which was not only a more immersive, dimensional and original take on the Commodore 64 video-graphics aesthetic, but also funnier and more exciting.

The live-action components of "Speed Racer" include Speed himself (Emile Hirsch, consigned to anonymity again after a breakout performance in "Into the Wild"), who lives with his Mom (Susan Sarandon), Pops (John Goodman), mischievous little brother Spritle (Paulie Litt), pet chimp Chim-Chim (Kenzie and Willy) -- as well as, apparently, his mechanic Sparky (Kick Gurry) and his gal-pal Trixie (Christina Ricci). They all love Mom's pancakes.

Speed once idolized his big brother Rex Racer (Scott Porter), who died in a fiery car crash as idolized big brothers named "Racer" will sometimes do. Rich, evil, purple-clad industrialist Mr. Royalton (Roger Allam, as Tim Curry) woos Speed with a lucrative offer, but when the hotshot turns it down in favor of sticking with Pops, Royalton threatens to destroy all Racers. Fortunately, the mysterious Racer X (Matthew Fox, displaying fewer emotions than Jack on "Lost") zips in to help out.

As an elementary schooler, Speed is afflicted with foot-tapping hyperactivity and ADD, and so is the movie. A lot of fluorescent, 7-Eleven-tinted images flash by, any of which could easily be removed or re-arranged without significantly disrupting the film's continuity, because it has none. If you can determine the spatial relationship between Speed's Mach 5 (or Mach 6) and any other race car for more than a few consecutive seconds, then good for you. As on the TV series, the pictures don't seem to move so much as repeat -- movement with no momentum. Transitions are handled with wipes in which large closeups pass from one side of the screen to the other without ever getting anyone anywhere.

If non-pixel illumination was used in the (mostly green-screen) shooting of the movie at all, it appears to have been black light, which gives everything a phosphorescent, psychedelic-poster sheen. At various times, the visuals resemble "Blade Runner" reinterpreted by Roger Dean (of Yes album cover fame), "The Jetsons" rendered by Maxfield Parrish, or a bag of Skittles designed by Shag.

"Speed Racer" is a manufactured widget, a packaged commodity that capitalizes on an anthropomorphized cartoon of Capitalist Evil in order to sell itself and its ancillary products. Corporate partners in the venture include General Mills, McDonald's, Mattel, Topps, LEGO and Target, who have furnished no promotional consideration for mention in this review.

I'll admit it took me a couple of times reading this review to make it all the way through, and I still don't understand a few parts in this review. What the hell does "the outré strategy" or "The faux naivete" mean? Is this english?

I used to like watching "At the Movies" with Siskel and Ebert. Ebert even seamed to enjoy the same Action movies that I liked. But, where the hell did they "Dig" this guy up from to write Roger Ebert reviews?

Last edited by 14ers : 05-09-2008 at 09:29 AM.
14ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I just wait for the thumbs up or thumbs down.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

First seven minutes of the film:
http://geeksofdoom.com/2008/05/09/wa...f-speed-racer/
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Siskel is the one that is dead. Star sighting -- lurker saw him on the same street as our last apartment, talk to the mailman, and walk into a house. I guess he had a place on our street, but it probably wasn't his only one, and we never saw him again, so she could be lying through her teeth.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Anyway, if you want pure randomness and wtf? in a Roger Ebert review, check out his review of Gigli.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

How does one not know what "faux naivete" means? Isn't it obvious? "the outré strategy", I can understand drawing a blank on.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
14ers
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post

Wow, that looks like it would be amazing in an Imax theater.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Siskel is the one that is dead. Star sighting -- lurker saw him on the same street as our last apartment, talk to the mailman, and walk into a house. I guess he had a place on our street, but it probably wasn't his only one, and we never saw him again, so she could be lying through her teeth.

I knew Siskel's nephew. That's all I got.

This review is pretty straight forward.

The phrases "outré strategy" and "faux naivete" aren't that high-brow. If you don't understand them, look them up.

Ebert isn't dead, but he's pretty sick if I recall. I don't think he can talk or something.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
I'll admit it took me a couple of times reading this review to make it all the way through, and I still don't understand a few parts in this review. What the hell does "the outré strategy" or "The faux naivete" mean? Is this english?

I used to like watching "At the Movies" with Siskel and Ebert. Ebert even seamed to enjoy the same Action movies that I liked. But, where the hell did they "Dig" this guy up from to write Roger Ebert reviews?
Stick to television shows, kid.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
larrymcg421
Head Coach

This isn't a Roger Ebert review. It's written by Jim Emerson, the editor of Ebert's website, who has been writing reviews in Roger's place while he's recovering. He definitely has a much different style than Roger.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #11
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
What the hell does "the outré strategy" or "The faux naivete" mean? Is this english?
Not completely, no.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
wishbone
High School JV

Couldn't he have saved everyone some time and said it sucks? I can tell just by the title...
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #13
Buccaneer
Head Coach

But not as poetical as the Wall Street Journal

Quote:
"This toxic admixture of computer-generated frenzy and live-action torpor succeeds in being, almost simultaneously, genuinely painful -- the esthetic equivalent of needles in eyeballs -- and weirdly benumbing, like eye candy laced with lidocaine."
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

I really should be a film reviewer.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #15
timmynausea
College Starter

I like Ebert. His actual reviews are way better than this.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #16
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Read that this movie could be one of the biggest busts of all time. Apparently it costs about $300m to make and market.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #17
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

So this will be the new Waterworld?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:17 AM   #18
DanGarion
Coordinator

The cartoon was crap, and the movie looks like crap.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:36 AM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post

Ditto. Never understood why this movie was even being made, or why anyone was excited to see it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 AM   #20
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post

That would be cool on shrooms I bet.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:03 AM   #21
korme
Go Reds

It was not written by Ebert. lol.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:09 AM   #22
korme
Go Reds

And I just read the review and I'd have to say that is about what I expected.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:59 AM   #23
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

The movie will be crap .... my youngest son will insist on seeing it though which means I'll endure it as will thousands of other parents around the globe ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #24
KWhit
Coordinator

That review isn't poorly written at all. It's trying a little bit too hard, but I think it perfectly conveys what the reviewer thought of the movie. Mission Accomplished.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #25
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
So this will be the new Waterworld?

Battlefield Earth was a much bigger bust

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._office_bombs#
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:46 AM   #26
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Of the films listed I liked:

Stormbreaker
Arthur and the Invisibles
The Black Cauldron
.. actually there are a fair few there I liked

More surprisingly to me there are a fair few big budget movies I'd never even heard of particularly:
The adventures of pluto nash
An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn
(anyone actually seen these)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:40 AM   #27
korme
Go Reds

of those bombs I liked

All the King's Men
Black Dahlia
Boondock Saints (has reached cult status)
Grindhouse
Lions for Lambs
Zodiac
Old 05-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #28
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post

I disagree with this.

The animation doesn't hold up now, but at the time, the beauty was in the uniqueness. People got killed. There was family tension and failure. A kid and a monkey wore the same clothes.

The "plots" were like nothing in the animated genre in America at the time. And, for an entire generation of American children, a great big questionmark formed over everyone's heads, translated as "WTF is wrong with the Japanese?"
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #29
14ers
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post

I would like to challenge Wiki.

I liked Bicentennial Man and would like to challenge its flop status.

Quote:
Title Year Budget U.S. Gross % of budget
Bicentennial Man 1999 $100,000,000 $8,234,926 14.1%

The reason I am challenging Wiki is according to boxofficemojo Bicentennial Man made$8,234,926 in it's opening weekend. And,$87,423,861 lifetime. You add PPV, DVD, and TV sales and I would think Bicentennnial Man is probably in the Black by now.

Looks like Wiki has a screw loose in its figures. I wonder how much money Titanic lost according to Wiki.

Last edited by 14ers : 05-14-2008 at 09:25 AM.
14ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #30
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
The reason I am challenging Wiki is according to boxofficemojo Bicentennial Man made$8,234,926 in it'sopening weekend. And,$87,423,861 lifetime. You add PPV, DVD, and TV sales and I would think Bicentennnial Man is probably in the Black by now.
that why wiki is broke
Old 05-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #31
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
You add PPV, DVD, and TV sales and I would think Bicentennnial Man is probably in the Black by now.
I've heard this actually ends up being true of just about every "bomb".
Old 05-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #32
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I've heard this actually ends up being true of just about every "bomb".

So the Adventures of Pluto Nash should in the black by about the year 2230 then.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #33
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Just another reason why Ebert is the only movie reviewer I've ever cared to read.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #34
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn
I know about this movie because I was working in a video store when it was released. It had Eric Idle in it, among a few others. Maybe even Coolio?

There was a tradition in Hollywood of director's who didn't like the final cut of a movie and didnt want their name on it to release the film as an "Alan Smithee" creation. Smithee was a made-up name, and if you saw it on a film you knew it was going to be a bad one. Ironically, this film (meant to be a sendup of bad movies) was itself so bad that the director had his name taken off, so it actually became a Smithee film. I think it ended up being the last one, because Hollywood stopped using the name in part thanks to this movie ruining the joke.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #35
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
This isn't a Roger Ebert review. It's written by Jim Emerson, the editor of Ebert's website, who has been writing reviews in Roger's place while he's recovering. He definitely has a much different style than Roger.

Roger signs off on them thought, and Roger is more combative. Read his review of Rob Schneiders American Gigolo 2 I ebelive, for a classic example.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #36
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
of those bombs I liked

Black Dahlia

If there is a hell, you are going there.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:09 PM   #37
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I haven't watched the show in about 6 months...but i loved Ebert & Roeper..even in the guest host phase. Roper would absolutely RIP movies sometimes (check out his review of 'Just My Luck') in a way that Ebert rarely would on-screen.

For a good laugh, read Ebert's print review of Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #38
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wow, I think that I have only seen Showgirls in that list of bombs. I may have seen Howard the Duck but I really can't remember.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:24 AM   #39
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

What Happens In Vegas was a fun watch on Ebert & Roeper a few weeks ago. It was coming on and I was like "they're gonna rip this to shreds." They did & I smiled
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:04 AM   #40
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
If there is a hell, you are going there.

LOL, I haven't seen it since it came out but I remember leaving the theatre and my buddy was convinced I was wearing De Palma shaded glasses.