Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #51
Bee
Pro Starter

So patch 1.04 was released 8/27/2004...and the next patch is coming out next week? I'm not sure if I should be shocked it took so long or amazed they are still patching it...

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #52
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

With Paradox, this is not surprising.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #53
Bee
Pro Starter

I think I bought this game online through paradox. I've updated to a new computer since then, so I guess I'll need to find all my information to download it again. I thought the game was pretty fun and probably was my personal favorite of the paradox games.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #54
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

FYI, this is a major patch and should be well worth the wait. The beta process has been long and involved, but the people working on it are very good and responsive to the players. I am eager to see the polished product.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #55
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

As I FINALLY picked up this game, and it should be delivered any minute now...are the beta patches stable/good enough to use?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #56
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
As I FINALLY picked up this game, and it should be delivered any minute now...are the beta patches stable/good enough to use?
CW,

If you go to the Crusader Kings forum, there are several different beta versions kicking around. The most recent is one is sort of the unofficial version 1.05, with which they are trying to fix any last minute concerns (esp. balance issues) before the official release. I'd go with that one, but the December 2005 or August 2005 betas were good as well.

Last edited by WSUCougar : 02-21-2006 at 11:18 AM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #57
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Damn you King of Denmark! We liked you! We thought you were our friend. You named us Duke of Sjaelland, I had my brother marry your youngest daughter, we were tight.

Then you go on a rampage. We, being the dutiful vassal, allow you to take our troops to wage war in Northern Europe, despite going into heavy debt because of it. But then you place Duke Svinde on the front lines, and the poor man never returns home, never sees the birth of his third child. And now Duke Oluf, a screaming year old infant, leads our lands.

Asshole. You cut down the first Duke of Sjaelland in his prime. We'll remember this. Oluf will come of age and will wear the Crown of Denmark. Oh yes.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #58
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Hint: Fire the royal cartoonist.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #59
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Ok, you guys have sucked me back into this game. I installed it on the new computer last night (which shows that it has been almost a year since I played it) and will be looking up the latest patch this evening to play some this weekend

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-12-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #60
aran
High School Varsity

You gentlemen have gotten me interested in this game. I have a few questions before i consider buying:

1.) Do actions have realistic results, or do you find yourself trying to "beat the game" when it comes to certain strange circumstances?
2.) How is the interface? Is it relatively easy to get the data you need?
3.) Does the game play relatively quickly, or does it take a noticeable amount of time to simulate reasonable stretches where your character isn't doing much?
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #61
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

#1 I'm not sure how to answer, but ...

2) It takes some getting used to. Lot of things I think could have been MUCH better organized, but once you get the hang of where things are, it's not horrible. Not great, but it's not annoying to a pain in the ass level.

3) It's a very slow, methodical game. However, time passes easily, because I'm always plotting my next move, keeping an eye on my disloyal fucks of vassals, or whatever. While there's many times where I'm not actively doing much, it never FEELS like it.

...and apparently the Hvide family inherited some very very VERY back stabbing traits. The primogen of the line lived to the ripe old age of 65, fathering two distinct families. The first successors were not large in number, but they showed promise. We carefully nurtured Niels, and eventually gave him land in northern Germany. His bastard brother Oluf was too qualified to be ignored, and we gave him a neighboring province as well to govern. As the old man's wife died, he married a lovely 17 year old beauty for political gain. Much to my surprise, the old fart spat out *4* more kids.

Whelp...firstborn Niels apparently wasn't as promising as we had hoped, as the Pope excommunicated his ass. His son took the Dukedom at the age of 10, only to be poisoned 2 months later by his own spymaster. His younger brother Rolf however, has flourished on the throne, and finally the Hvides were able to take on the ancient Royal line of Knytlings. We threw them out of most of Denmark, though the old King still retains his title and a few loyal vassals. For now, the first victory is ours. The House of Hvide will soon by the Royal House in Denmark.

...unfortunately, the family name is slowly degenerating, following Duke Rolf's lead. Most provinces held by full blooded Hvides are becoming disloyal as fuck, and we're constantly on the lookout for plots against our beloved Duke. Not to mention the two courtiers I granted title and lands to who I eventually had to forcibly remove from their lands, after they failed to support me in my assault on the King. Fuckers.

Could get very ugly when we make our next run on the throne. I wonder how many of the Hvides will call up their troops when I need them.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-12-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:19 AM   #62
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Okay, the final beta version of 1.05 is done and in the pipeline. Shouldn't be long now!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:32 AM   #63
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Okay, the final beta version of 1.05 is done and in the pipeline. Shouldn't be long now!

Excellent news. Lots of gaming goodness this month. I can't wait to start playing again once 1.05 is released.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:13 PM   #64
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Shit, I've had more crashes with the final beta than I have with earlier builds.

And that's after totally wiping it and re-installing.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-22-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #65
twothree
College Prospect

Patch 1.05 has been officially released.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=234395
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:03 PM   #66
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Exclamation

CRUSADER KINGS 1.05 CHANGE LOG *********

Crusader Kings 1.05 represents a massive undertaking in overhauling many game mechanisms, introducing many new features, and completely reworking and rebalancing almost all aspects of the game. This offical 1.05 enhancement was more than 18 months in the making; and would have been impossible without the support of Paradox's development team; the tireless dedication of a small group of betas; and most importantly it would never have happened without the continued interest of our fans in the Public Beta forum who have devoted countless hours making suggestions, posting feedback, testing, and assisting us with events and text translations...and so much more.

The following list of changes is only a general overview of the primary differences between 1.05 and 1.04. To view a complete and detailed list; please see the change logs that accompanied each of the 34 distinct public beta patches. (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ad.php?t=171465)

#################
#### Gameplay ####
#################

CRUSADES
- Created new system of cyclical Crusades with varying targets based on game situation. The game will now consist of a series of shorter crusades, with periods of peace in between. The end of a crusade will occur at some time after the crusade target (as identified by hovering your mouse over the crusade flag) has been captured; and will happen sooner if surrounding provinces have also been captured.
- Introduced massive events to control Crusades and provide flavour while Crusades occur.
- The AI has been made reactive to Crusades and powerful rulers are likely to embark on aggressive campaigns in support of them.

REALM MANAGEMENT
- The maximum demesne size is now based on the ruler's INTRIGUE rating and not the ruler's stewardship rating.
- The Martial stat of the ruler and the marshal now determines the recruitment speed for the provincial regiments.
- Difficulty no longer affects regiment size, only speed of recruitment.
- Removed tax rate impact on regiment size.
- The Byzantine demesne bonus has been reduced.
- Rulers can now press the claims of co-belligerent vassals and/or courtiers if the ruler lacks his own claim.
- Peace is now enforced for all vassals (and vassals of vassals) when a liege makes peace. This includes truce periods.
- Higher titles (duke and king level) can now be created even if all provinces are held by your vassals and no demesne is present.
- Granting a Duchy/Kingdom title will also grant appropriate vassals.
- Destroyed titles may be recreated with only 1 province if a claim exists to the destroyed title.
- Titles are no longer destroyed by taking all demesne if the ruler still has vassals.
- New vassals are 100% loyal.
- Vassals very distant from liege demesne may break away.
- Vassals that become independent due to religious differences receive a claim on the liege.
- Vassals now sorted in loyalty order for liege.
- Vassals may now become rebellious if they are far away from their liege, or if they have a very high intrigue level, or if their liege has a very poor intrigue level, or if they are a different religion than their liege. This can lead to increased chances that they will attempt to assassinate their liege; or they may even attempt to initiate a civil war.
- Fixed assignment of Bishoprics from the Papal Controller's court to exclude married courtiers or those with court rank.
- Provinces that are a considerable distance from the demesne capital will tend to dissolve into anarchy and rebellion. When a human ruler is leading a regiment, any parts of his demesne that are far away from his current location (including provinces near the demesne capital!) may also be subject to revolt and thievery.
- The Pope can no longer inherit titles.
- The Pope receives base prestige equal to the Papal Controller per month. Some events now give the Pope and those around him extra piety.
- Only rulers may be excommunicated by the Papal Controller.
- Provinces converting to non-Christian lose all Christian buildings.
- Moslem ruler succession can sometimes trigger interesting (and tumultuous) results.
- Adjusted frequency of female birth and random spawning.
- Added loyalty adjustment for liege laws.
- Rulers are limited to one alliance, although it is possible to exploit this by responding affirmatively to two (or more) simultaneous offers.
- Now possible to agree when a courtier thinks they would "be a better" court member which will automatically promote them into that position.
- Bankruptcy now degrades fortifications instead of removing them.
- Formation of a Crusader State from within your lands is a boon to a ruler rather than a penalty.
- Implemented terrain restrictions on province buildings. No more advanced lumber industry in the desert.
- Tweaked province buildings/improvements cost, time, and effects.
- Rebalanced pillage gold and piety effects based on buildings and province effects.
- You should no longer be pested by non-coreligionist courtiers seeking officer positions in your court.
- The Pope and Patriarch are now only annoyed if you appoint heathens to court officer positions, but not if you simply have some unemployed ones in your court. However; the Pope will complain if you appoint Orthodox court officers during a crusade so players should generally avoid doing so except under extreme emergencies.

COMBAT
- Combat losses now displayed in results window.
- Regimental commanders of different religions will not claim lands for themselves but for the ruler while at war vs. religious enemies.
- Thieves, smugglers, and highway robbers are now more likely to spring up when the province regiment is away.
- Mercenary system now changed so mercenaries are sometimes useful.
- Tweaked many combat values to increase shock and reduce losses. Much more likely to see routs and less annhilation.
- Naval transport costs vastly increased and slowed speed. Extremely expensive to sail directly to religious enemy.

MONGOL HORDES
- Completely redesigned the Mongol Hordes, their initial armies, their wants, desires, succession preferences.

OTHER
- The plague may now appear and almost any time and will spread not only through provinces, but also through courts.
- God now looks unfavorably on heathens, heretics, etc who somehow get control of (or could inherit control of) the Papacy of Religious Orders.
- Heretic provinces now red on religion map.
- All trait effects have been rebalanced. The previous "lisp" and "stutter" traits have been combined into the "lisp" trait, and the "intestinal worm" and "leper" traits have been eliminated. Three new traits have been introduced: "rebelliousness", "realm duress" and "parental upbringing". Rebelliousness means that a vassal is considering declaring independemce, or that he might attempt to wreak havoc within his liege's realm. Realm duress is a trait that a liege will receive if one or more of his vassals is attempting to initiate a civil war. Until he can regain stability by putting down all signs of rebellion, he will be at far greater risk of further uprisings. Parental upbringing is a trait given to a child when a ruler has decided to take a more direct hand in his or her education. It willl usuaully only occur for the player's immediate family.
- Full name and title is now the default for event effects.
- Mortality rates have been increased for all characters except for rulers and primary heirs
- Capitals now have some inertia.
- The restriction that removed chaste and lustful traits from younger characters when loading a save game has been removed.
- Random male courtiers will be generally a bit younger than before.

###################
##### AI CHANGES #####
###################

- AI of ALL religions will now grant titles (including setting up new counties and duchies)
- AI is now smarter at deciding when to accept a marriage proposal - especially when the target is a court member.
- AI Rulers will now attempt to pledge allegiance to default rulers (duke/king) under some conditions.
- AI tweaked for court position assignment.
- AI no longer claims titles of religious enemies.
- AI now grants Ducal titles to appropriate counts.
- AI now much, much smarter in wars and with mobilization of troops.
- AI now avoids revoking titles when vassals are disloyal.
- AI more likely to ally when marriage/family ties are involved.
- AI no longer automatically involves itself in inter-vassal wars.
- AI Kings more likely to Crusade.
- AI lieges will demand support of vassals on Crusade.
- AI Catholic rulers are less likely to accept muslim neighbours
- AI should no longer appoint court officers who aren't co-religionists.

################
##### EVENTS #####
################

- Added events for varying Heresies.
- Added in-depth system of child educational events
- Added a series of events making it more difficult to control non-religion provinces.
- Added a series of events to better model Mongol Horde succession.
- Added several series of events based on the court members.
- Added a series of events based on realm laws.
- Tweaked technology spread and discovery events for realm tier and current status (war, crusading, etc).
- Added a series of events that destabilize the Byzantine Empire.
- Added a series of intrigue events for vassals to get uppity.
- Crusader States will attempt to form themselves when Catholics make gains in the Holy Land.
- The Pope will ask nicely for Rome back, should you have it and should he be homeless. Beware saying 'No'.
- Added a siege event that could speed a siege... or not.
- Cultural and Religious Conversion events re-coded. Repeatedly. And then a few more times. And then once more.
- Added a series of events for bastard children to either turn into William the Bastard... or die horribly.
- Added a series of events for bastards to disrupt courts if they are so inclined.
- Added a series of regency events for child rulers. Beware your vassals.
- Made some logical adjustments to bankruptcy events defining what you can and cannot steal.
- The Pope and Patriarch get very unhappy when your court is run by heathens. Especially while a Crusade is in effect.
- Chancellors and Stewards impact length of revolts and province wealth.
- New ultracomplex event for distant vassals to break free from their lieges.
- New even more ultracomplex events added to make it rather difficult to maintain law, order, and loyalty in demesne provinces that are distant from the demesne capital (i.e. are not in the same area or an adjacent area). The player will also be at some risk of two of these events whenever the demesne's ruler is far away at war (an approximation of Prince John's treachery when Richard was off on crusade). The AI is not subject to this latter case since it could be too hard for it to manage.
- Added several battle and siege oriented events.
- Added a new event that no one expects, and that will do something with fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency and a fanatical devotion to the...er....

################
#### SCRIPTING ####
################

- Added "type = papacy" to event_effects file.
- Added "on_crusade" condition. Returns true on at war with Crusade target.
- Added condition to prevent any crusade starting (except "Retake Rome") if Rome is owned by a non-Catholic.
- Added a "province" condition to check province religion/etc.
- Added "type = court value = n" check for more than 'n' adults in a ruler's court.
- Added target "this" for further character events for the current target.
- Added target "knight" for random adult male courtier.
- Added "crusade_target_owner" to determine owner of the current crusade's target province.
- Added "declare_war" effect.
- "remove_regiment" effect fixified.
- Added "type = pregnant" condition.
- Added province condition "is_besieged"
- Added the 'papacy_csc' and 'controller_csc' csc conditions for character conditions.
- "papacy" and "controller" are now valid targets for character event effects.
- Added an 'any_enemy' csc condition for characters.
- Added an 'is_alive' condition.
- Added a 'primary_heir' which is true if first heir to his fathers primary title.
- Added a 'other_heir' which is true if a heir but not the first heir to his fathers primary title. ***seems not to be working at present***
- Added a 'primary_heir' csc for characters.
- Added a 'primary_heir' target for character effects.
- Added a 'other_heir' target for character effects, which picks a random heir which is not the primary heir of current char.
- Added a 'badboy' event effect for characters.

################
#### TECHNICAL ####
################

- Changed network protocal from tcp/ip to directplay internal.

################
#### BUG FIXES ####
################

- It is no longer possible to be at war with oneself.
- Female court members no longer lose assigned position when married to a courtier.
- Heretics and Excommunicated courtiers no longer granted bishoprics or Papacy.
- Siege and Occupation no longer reset on ruler death.
- Claims should no longer be received against religious enemies via event.
- Fixed faulty logic in health related events.
- Fixed nested event errors possibly responsible for many CTDs.
- Characters with 0 or less piety (or "scum of the earth" badboy) can not be canonized.
- Low fertility characters now less likely to sire bastards.
- Only christians can build churches, monasteries, templar houses, etc.
- Fixed the elusive Virtual Function Call CTD (and there was much rejoicing)
- Fixed hordes of CTDs and other bugs.
- Eliminated possibility to get multiple claims on the same title.
- It should be impossible for a character to receive two educations now.
- RND seeding is now correctly re-rolled for each instance that it is used.

##########################
###### SCENARIO CHANGES ######
##########################

The list of individual scenario changes annd corrections is simply too long to include in detail. Please go to http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ad.php?t=171465 to view a complete list of all changes.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #67
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I debated posting this in the general forum, but figure it will get seen here. Has anyone experienced a flickering screen when they try to play? I installed 1.05 on top of a clean install. I can't believe the patch was only 5 MB, so I'm almost wondering if it was a bad download, but I guess I would be seeing more problems than just a flickering screen. Also, I am trying to play without the CD if that matters.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:09 PM   #68
kingfc22
Head Coach

Is there a demo?
Old 02-24-2006, 12:20 AM   #69
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure, Kingfc22.

I figured out my problem thanks to the Paradox forums. Apparently, some background processes that Music Match runs cause the flickering. I turned them off, and the flickering went away. Wierd since those processes do not cause problems with any of my other games.

My character's wife pissed me off tonight giving me 4 girls in a row to start the marriage. Fortunately, we finally had a son before I ran off on a Holy Crusade. It's been so long since I've played this game, I can't tell what all of the changes are, but I'm having fun with the game once again.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:06 PM   #70
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I'm not sure, Kingfc22.

I figured out my problem thanks to the Paradox forums. Apparently, some background processes that Music Match runs cause the flickering. I turned them off, and the flickering went away. Wierd since those processes do not cause problems with any of my other games.

My character's wife pissed me off tonight giving me 4 girls in a row to start the marriage. Fortunately, we finally had a son before I ran off on a Holy Crusade. It's been so long since I've played this game, I can't tell what all of the changes are, but I'm having fun with the game once again.

Just noticed this, but I had that problem with the flickering screen, too.

Do you have the downloaded version? I had suspected it had something to do with that, but next time I play, I will try to make sure all of those hidden musicmatch processess are off (as I have seen them before on ctrl-alt-deletes).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #71
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Just noticed this, but I had that problem with the flickering screen, too.

Do you have the downloaded version? I had suspected it had something to do with that, but next time I play, I will try to make sure all of those hidden musicmatch processess are off (as I have seen them before on ctrl-alt-deletes).

I have the retail version. I actually won one of the prizes from their pre-release contest when I preordered this. Got a very nice sword with the game
Old 03-02-2006, 06:17 PM   #72
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I agree with most of these changes, but this one:

- Only rulers may be excommunicated by the Papal Controller.

That's awful.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:50 AM   #73
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I decided to start up a new game of CK with the new patch out. I chose to go with Sligo in N Ireland. After six years, the Pope excommunicated me for NO reason and then everybody claimed my title. One of the local counties declared war, destroyed my army, and then began besieging me. With no other options, I pledge my alliegance to a local Duke - Connacht, I think. He immediately declares war on my aggressor and marches 650 men into my enemy's province to begin a siege.

I think all is well. My liege should wint eh siege well before my opponent does. Then he can sue for peace and vassalize him, which obviously ends the war for me as well. I hate being a vassal, but sometimes you have to pledge - I pledged to Byzantium to avoid Muslim defeat.

However, both England and France decide that my little county on the north of Ireland is worth their notice and declare war. To their credit, the Duchy of Connacht decalred back in both cases. It wasn't long until the King of France himself arrived with 2500 troops and took my county. English forces several thousand strong were besieging my liege. I died in eight years, which I think is a record for me.

Excellent. I *have* to play again!!!

At least I know that I probably took my liege Duke down with me as he was at war with England, France and an Irish Count.

-Anxiety

Old 03-03-2006, 10:43 AM   #74
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

For what it's worth, Anxiety, the same thing happened in my first 1.05 game with regard to Sligo and excommunication. I was playing as the Duke of Brittany and decided to voyage over to the emerald isle and expand my holdings if I could. Alas, a CTD ended that venture.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #75
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

As an experiment, I'm going to try Sligo again and see if I get excommed again.

-Anxiety

Old 03-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #76
Blade6119
Coordinator

I hope this new patch fixes the norway bug. No matter what county i took, anytime it tried to save after becoming king of norway it crashed...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:16 AM   #77
twothree
College Prospect

I started a 1.05 game as Sisnando de Coimbra, Count of Coimbra. I had never played him before, and it looked like a prime place to start. Coimbra is on the Atlantic Ocean with the Muslim countries directly to my south, which should make this a very good place to see how the new crusades work in this patch. Coimbra is also one part of a future Kingdom of Portugal, and I decide to make that my long-term goal.

Sisnando starts out as a vassal to an old duke, Nuno of Portugal. He is also married to the duke's only child Loba of Portugal. So I thought with the duke being so old and not having any male heirs, all I would have to do is produce an heir, and he would inherit both my titles and his grandfather's titles. It looked like an ideal situation. However... the old geezer died after a year and before I could produce a male heir. Someone else became the new duke and now I was a vassal to a duke who had plenty of heirs.

But it gets better... I started the game with a one year old daughter. Well, it wasn't long before Loba had a stork pictured over her, and soon gave birth to my second daughter. A year later, I have another daughter. In two more years I have another daughter. A year later my wife is pregnant again.... and I greet my fifth daughter. I start to think this might be a very short game, as I have no heirs to carry on the Coimbra name.

About this time the pope starts the first crusade. And my liege loses all his territory and his one other vassal to the Muslims. I barely survive and sue for peace, giving up my entire treasury. I end up being completely surrounded by Muslim countries after a few years. During the first crusade, I also meet this really attractive young thing that manages to provide me with a bastard son. However, he is not considered my heir.

I begin to see this game as being almost over, when suddenly my wife who along with me is starting to get up there in years tells me she is pregnant again. All right, I knew I had it in me. Here comes that son I have been waiting to greet. Of course, it's another daughter, so I get mad at the world and start declaring wars left and right.

Meanwhile, I have been marrying off my daughters and one of them produces three sons. So, it looks like one of them will get my title as the Count of Coimbra. During my wars with the Muslims, I manage to capture the territory, Castelo Branco, which is next to Coimbra. I give it to my bastard son, so at least the Count of Castelo Branco will have my name, even though he is not considered my heir.

And then I get my game saving event. At 18 years of age, my "Bastard Son had declared himself your legitimate heir based on his strength of rule." Woo Hoo. I can die a happy man. Too bad I live for a really long time before finally dying and letting my bastard son take over the rule of both territories.

Now the problem I have is that the bastard son is depressed which makes him infertile and he currently has no heirs. Here I go again.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:18 AM   #78
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
As an experiment, I'm going to try Sligo again and see if I get excommed again.

-Anxiety

17 years in, I die but no excomm. Scotland did us in this time

Old 03-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #79
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I debated posting this in the general forum, but figure it will get seen here. Has anyone experienced a flickering screen when they try to play? I installed 1.05 on top of a clean install. I can't believe the patch was only 5 MB, so I'm almost wondering if it was a bad download, but I guess I would be seeing more problems than just a flickering screen. Also, I am trying to play without the CD if that matters.
I have this exact problem eagles. Also has plagued me to a far lesser extent with HoI2.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #80
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm ashamed to admit that I've yet to download 1.05. I'm too paranoid of screwing up my Orvieto dynasty somehow

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #81
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
I decided to start up a new game of CK with the new patch out. I chose to go with Sligo in N Ireland. After six years, the Pope excommunicated me for NO reason and then everybody claimed my title. One of the local counties declared war, destroyed my army, and then began besieging me. With no other options, I pledge my alliegance to a local Duke - Connacht, I think. He immediately declares war on my aggressor and marches 650 men into my enemy's province to begin a siege.

I think all is well. My liege should wint eh siege well before my opponent does. Then he can sue for peace and vassalize him, which obviously ends the war for me as well. I hate being a vassal, but sometimes you have to pledge - I pledged to Byzantium to avoid Muslim defeat.

However, both England and France decide that my little county on the north of Ireland is worth their notice and declare war. To their credit, the Duchy of Connacht decalred back in both cases. It wasn't long until the King of France himself arrived with 2500 troops and took my county. English forces several thousand strong were besieging my liege. I died in eight years, which I think is a record for me.

Excellent. I *have* to play again!!!

At least I know that I probably took my liege Duke down with me as he was at war with England, France and an Irish Count.

-Anxiety

I started a game with Galaway which is just to the south of Slingo and the within a month my army had been defeated and we were under siege. I declared allegiance to the same Duke and he came by and kicked ass for me. I remained his vassel for years, as we just couldn't get enough into the treasury to do anything. I had a kick ass son, who ends up being a brilliant strategist, but even though is my firstborn, he is not the heir. His brother is half the warrior he is, but not the leader. Twenty of so years later, getting tired with my lot in life, I decide to get back at my former enemy, and with the help of my leige rightfully defeat my enemy and claim his lands. That officially makes me a duke and I am free from my liege.

That is about where I stand now.

How can I get more money? Our lands are in poor shape, and my relatively new province is under revolt. I feel like Duke of Shitopia.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:40 PM   #82
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well I must have done something right. The grandson of the original ruler has now nearly united Ireland and declared himself King. It was a brutal struggle, but now we need to rebuild. Quite an amazing thing. Not only did he lead the army and get numerous prestige bonuses because of his leadership, he also has fatherd about 12 kids. At least there are some vassals I can count on now. It is only 1138, and I fear for the attention that may come this way now.

Like Steam?

Old 03-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #83
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow this game sounds fun is there a downlodable version or just retail?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:54 PM   #84
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
I'm ashamed to admit that I've yet to download 1.05. I'm too paranoid of screwing up my Orvieto dynasty somehow

It's a good thing you haven't updated to 1.05.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT on the Paradox forums at the top of the thread titled "1.05 Patch Released"
This patch should be applied to a fresh CL installation from your original game CD. You do not need to install any previous patches.

CK 1.05 is not compatible with any save games made with CK 1.04a or earlier (some major exe and handling changes make this impossible). You will need to start a new game with this patch.

Galaril. I have never used their service or downloaded any games from them, but Paradox does offer direct download of some of their games. From their website http://www.paradoxplaza.com , scroll down the page, and at the bottom left are several options for purchasing their games.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #85
Galaril
Pro Starter

Thanks. After reading more about it i will just buy a cd version (retail) of it. The download entails downloading a 3rd party software tool-sounds like steam like - to play the game.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:08 PM   #86
Galaril
Pro Starter

I found it for 9.99 at the wargamer online store (nwsonline store).
Old 03-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #87
PineTar
High School JV

$9.99 w/ the bonus of HoI thrown in to boot at target
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #88
PilotMan
Head Coach

Things are still going well in Ireland. It is almost 1200AD and still the King of Ireland. I have added a number of vassels in the islands, England, and Protugal. I am now the Papal Controller as well.

How cool is it that my leige is the King of Ireland, and his brother is the Pope! That is a powerful duo. Now I need to Crusade keep my brother happy.

Like Steam?

Old 03-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #89
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Started up a new game with good old Sjaelland, and modified the dynasty file to use my last name (Nielsen, a fine Danish name in its own right) for my Danish Empire.

It's gone quite bizarre early on. Though very fortunate for me. After a lot of goofing around, we nabbed a couple troop factory provinces in northern germany. Chilled for awhile, and all hell broke loose. Swedish King was discovered to be a kinslayer, and got excommunicated. Begin a massive civil war up there, and both Denmark and Norway got into the mix, nabbing provinces as they could. I myself got a lovely pair of provinces in southern sweden during the upheaval. By this time, we were pretty damned powerful. But we waited.

Then...our King went batshit insane. Schizo + Kinslayer = Excommunication. Loyalty to that madman plummeted, as did the loyalty of every vassal the man had. Shortly thereafter, King Psycho of Denmark sent his troops...somewhere.

Duke Poul Nielsen decided the time was right. We marched, taking control of several provinces under the King's direct control. His vassals followed suit, delcaring their independance from the raving lunatic. After several conflicts, the Duke came out on top, and crowned himself Poul Nielsen, King of the Danes.

And now we're desperately trying to keep our handful of vassals, cousins and brothers all of them, from betraying us. Our reputation is in the toilet after the usurpation.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:24 PM   #90
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I was hoping that they'd have the CK/HoI 2-pack in-store at my local Target, but they didn't.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:47 PM   #91
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I was hoping that they'd have the CK/HoI 2-pack in-store at my local Target, but they didn't.

Check it out at wargamer.com affiliated online store:

http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-12000246...iheofirpa.html
Old 03-15-2006, 04:37 PM   #92
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Thanks for the link. I just don't really want to pay shipping for $10 software. That's why I was hoping to find it in Target. I may change my mind down the road, though, and now I have a convenient link to it. Thanks again!
Old 03-15-2006, 06:23 PM   #93
PineTar
High School JV

Really enjoying CK so far. No complaints on the $13 spent.
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #94
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineTar
Really enjoying CK so far. No complaints on the $13 spent.

Excellent! Hopefully you won't either.

-Anxiety

Old 04-24-2006, 08:17 AM   #95
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

So after months of waiting, I finally found this game on E-bay! Got it for 18$, shipping included bundled with Victoria and Two Thrones.

Quick question for you guys, should I install the 1.05 patch right away ?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:21 AM   #96
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Absolutely yes. Patch it.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:49 AM   #97
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Absolutely yes. Patch it.

'k thx CW.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:54 PM   #98
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I've started playing again recently with the 1.05 patch, and it is a huge difference, it's a great patch that helps the game in a lot of ways.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:18 AM   #99
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

The problem I have with the 1.05 patch is the way the Seljuk Turks seem to wind up with an empire scattered across the whole of Europe, with counties from France, through Germany and Italy and into Hungary. Everything just seems to get too disjointed. Like the Kingdom of France only has about 4 vassals in France but loads of territory in Iraq. It's all down to the fact that armies can march across other people's territories without any problem if they're at war with someone, even if they're conflicting faiths. And the fact that Christian kingdoms have been made more likely to crusade and thus start swapping territories with their enemies as they send a huge army to attack the crusade target while the pagans send their huge armies to attack the homelands of the crusaders.
It just really detracts from the game. As does the Islamic sea-borne invasions of the British Isles and Scandinavia that seem to occur regularly.

To try and get the game even vaguely anchored in reality they ought to prevent armies crossing counties that belong to a different faith unless they're at war and stop muslims using boats at all. Of course they would then have to completely recode the AI so that's never going to happen, unless they make a CK2.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:51 AM   #100
Blade6119
Coordinator

I cant stand when i create territories in the muslim world, give it to a court member to run, and immediately he is his own thing...is there a reason for this? Once i got a nice piece carved out into north africa, 6-7 connected provinces. Gave away all 7, 2 stayed apart of my empire and the rest were all free and dandy.

And if i could make 1 change, it would be being able to see which province declared independence instead of hacing to go 1 by 1(a bitch when you are a big kingdom)
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote