Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-17-2005, 12:17 AM   #351
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93
No. It is best to scout recruits ASAP! As in, week 1 for you main targets, and then as many as you have the budget for. Then check them each week and see what kind of information they have given you. As soon as you see "very important" for anything that fits your school make that your pitch. If it is getting late and you have no pitch and you fear you may lose the recruit use logic to make a guess.

If all the teams they are interested in are local, then location is probably it. If the teams are national and are weak in the position then you can probably bet they are looking for some PT.

There is a risk/reward though based on guessing early. So if you guess location in the first week without knowing anything about him, you get the biggest bonus to recruiting him if you guess the type of pitch successfully.. Every week you know more details about him the bonus for pitch gets smaller.

Here is a good rule of thumb. If you are a smaller school and you notice a 3 star or 4 star is local to your state.and has pretty high interest in your team, pitch him first week location. Good chance you will nail the pitch in the first week. Now you have a decent shot of actually landing that recruit even though he might be normally out of your league.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 12-17-2005 at 12:18 AM.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:26 AM   #352
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I keep getting some automation error. I've unloaded and reinstalled it twice and get the same thing and find nada on the site that talks about how to make it work.

Not. so. happy.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:38 AM   #353
Galaril
Pro Starter

Is there a way to mass sub or something for when the game becomes a blowout? I know Arlie had said something about adding it in later or is it just been added to the AI's roster management for your team now?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:50 AM   #354
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
dola

is there a way to view your OC and DC's preferred philosophies after you hire them??
Go to team staff page on the season menu.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:51 AM   #355
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
I keep getting some automation error. I've unloaded and reinstalled it twice and get the same thing and find nada on the site that talks about how to make it work.

Not. so. happy.
Sounds like a bad control install. If you can, send me your install.log file in your main folder and I will see if I can find which one. send it to [email protected].

If you can, let me know in the email what action causes the error.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:54 AM   #356
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
Sounds like a bad control install. If you can, send me your install.log file in your main folder and I will see if I can find which one. send it to [email protected].

If you can, let me know in the email what action causes the error.

Just emailed you. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:54 AM   #357
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
There is a risk/reward though based on guessing early. So if you guess location in the first week without knowing anything about him, you get the biggest bonus to recruiting him if you guess the type of pitch successfully.. Every week you know more details about him the bonus for pitch gets smaller.

Here is a good rule of thumb. If you are a smaller school and you notice a 3 star or 4 star is local to your state.and has pretty high interest in your team, pitch him first week location. Good chance you will nail the pitch in the first week. Now you have a decent shot of actually landing that recruit even though he might be normally out of your league.
This is very good advice. One other thing I recommend is choosing the best pitch for you in some cases (esp if you are going for a longshot). IE, if you are in-state, an average prestige school and the kid may favor location or prestige - choose location. Chances are if you choose prestige and are right, he will end up choosing a higher prestige school anyway. But, if it's location, you may get a boost by being in-state and he may choose you. Just another thing to keep in mind.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:00 AM   #358
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Is there a way to mass sub or something for when the game becomes a blowout? I know Arlie had said something about adding it in later or is it just been added to the AI's roster management for your team now?
The AI will sub in in the final quarter if it's a blowout. You can adjust your depth chart at any time though.

Last edited by Arles : 12-17-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:33 AM   #359
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
This is very good advice. One other thing I recommend is choosing the best pitch for you in some cases (esp if you are going for a longshot). IE, if you are in-state, an average prestige school and the kid may favor location or prestige - choose location. Chances are if you choose prestige and are right, he will end up choosing a higher prestige school anyway. But, if it's location, you may get a boost by being in-state and he may choose you. Just another thing to keep in mind.

How do you know when to pitch coach? Is that random or based on how well you are doing?
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 03:56 AM   #360
Tim Tellean
High School JV

Its not random. It depends on how well the coach is doing and also does the coach play in a style that the player likes. Read the recruit notes closely there are clues as to which pitch may work best.
Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:08 AM   #361
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
My starting QB was injured (bruised spleen) in the first game of my first career. My next two best QBs were about equal so I decided to try to give them both some playing time. Using the suggest button on playing time split them up at 60-40, so I decided to stick with that.

Well, the QBs pretty much alternated every play. One would come in for 1st down and then he'd leave and the other guy would play 2nd down and maybe 3rd. And they did this for the entire game. That kind of killed the 2 QB system experiment for me.

Isn't this what Tennessee did a few years ago?
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:21 AM   #362
Easy Mac

Arels, any way of making it when you tab to a new test box, it highlights the text instead of just moving the cursor to the box? Like in doing study hall, when I tab from box to box, the cursor just moves to the next box, so I have to hit delete to get rid of the number then type the number in the box. If it highlighted the text already, I could just type the number I want. It may not seem like a big deal, but the clicking and deleting get tedious after a while.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:31 AM   #363
Flasch186
Coordinator

which is a bigger HS, a (5) or a (1)?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:40 AM   #364
Easy Mac

Old 12-17-2005, 10:39 AM   #365
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Arels, any way of making it when you tab to a new test box, it highlights the text instead of just moving the cursor to the box? Like in doing study hall, when I tab from box to box, the cursor just moves to the next box, so I have to hit delete to get rid of the number then type the number in the box. If it highlighted the text already, I could just type the number I want. It may not seem like a big deal, but the clicking and deleting get tedious after a while.
Great idea. I'll try to work that into 1.1.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:40 AM   #366
Flasch186
Coordinator

what does an asterisk by a recruit's name, during the regular season mean?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-17-2005, 10:42 AM   #367
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
what does an asterisk by a recruit's name, during the regular season mean?

I believe it means Juco.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #368
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tellean
Its not random. It depends on how well the coach is doing and also does the coach play in a style that the player likes. Read the recruit notes closely there are clues as to which pitch may work best.

That's amazing to see in any type of game - "read the recruit notes closely there are clues...". That sure is a long ways from an OOTP game where the notes (about a player) are meaningless, or a Sol game where there are no notes, or even from the great FBCB where they are very sparse.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:07 AM   #369
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, each recruit gives a set of comments on his preferences. You never get told explicitly, but if you follow them closely, you should be able to see a couple high probabilty options for the recruit pitch.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:49 AM   #370
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I think it's time.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:52 AM   #371
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I have a strong feeling that over christmas break for the plant, I am going to have to format my computer

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:58 AM   #372
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
I have a strong feeling that over christmas break for the plant, I am going to have to format my computer

Wipe that puppy! Get with the program and bring it on in C-USA...
Old 12-17-2005, 01:27 PM   #373
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Finally got all the logos, field artwork, etc.. loaded and I'm ready to take the reigns of Mizzou!

Go Black and Gold, Go!!

btw, nice work on the mods gentlemen!! I like having a helmet in the top right and the team logo in the bottom.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 01:43 PM   #374
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Wipe that puppy! Get with the program and bring it on in C-USA...

well I am off starting next friday, so that may be the day to do it

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:34 PM   #375
GoBuckeyes
n00b

Arles...

One thing that might be considered as a slight tweak for 1.1...scheduling of rivals. I tried 1.02 with Ohio University and the A.D. tells me not to get blown out by Marshall, Ohio's rival. Marshall isn't on the schedule as a permanent game with them being in
C-USA now...is there a way you can fix it to where out of conference "rival" games are a permanent fix? Thanks!!
GoBuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #376
Cuckoo
College Starter

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but I have had a couple issues with the depth chart:

1. Sometimes after I have made a number of changes and then click on a player name to bring up his card, I'll get the player card of a completely different player.

2. After viewing a position with a number of players and using the scroll bar to see the ones at the bottom of the list, and then moving to another position group with the drop down, I cannot scroll back to the top of the list.

I'm not sure if the explanation of those make sense.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:10 PM   #377
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but I have had a couple issues with the depth chart:

1. Sometimes after I have made a number of changes and then click on a player name to bring up his card, I'll get the player card of a completely different player.

2. After viewing a position with a number of players and using the scroll bar to see the ones at the bottom of the list, and then moving to another position group with the drop down, I cannot scroll back to the top of the list.

I'm not sure if the explanation of those make sense.

I mentioned very similar a few pages ago. I shoulda posted to the GDS forums about all my depth chart (and a few other problems/suggestions), but, well, I'm lazy.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 03:50 PM   #378
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Was that patch supposed to fix the recovery period for injuries?

Doesn't look like it's done a bloody thing for me. I'm still unable to play anyone even slightly injured, as they immediately re-injure themselves, usually worse. Severity doesn't seem to make a bit of difference. If someone is injured, they will remain so unless/until I completely take them off the depth chart.

I'm now staring at 16 injured players with 4 games to go, mainly because no one heals.
Several have dropped from probable to doubtful after I left them in.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:01 PM   #379
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Was that patch supposed to fix the recovery period for injuries?

Doesn't look like it's done a bloody thing for me. I'm still unable to play anyone even slightly injured, as they immediately re-injure themselves, usually worse. Severity doesn't seem to make a bit of difference. If someone is injured, they will remain so unless/until I completely take them off the depth chart.

I'm now staring at 16 injured players with 4 games to go, mainly because no one heals.
Several have dropped from probable to doubtful after I left them in.

Yeah, I've noticed a major improvement in the number of players that are "out," but it is still very dangerous to play guys that are injured at all. As for whether that's realistic or not, I don't really know. I suspect it is in some cases and not in others, and I don't have enough information to know if the game has the percentages correct.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:33 PM   #380
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

another recruiting question: can you/would it help to spend money recruiting a guy without a pitch and then change it later?

edit: does that like...for lack of a better word, let them know of your interest? i am thinking so, because otherwise that's a lot of $$ i have to recruit with each week...

and why don't i read the manuel and try to find out? LOL

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-17-2005 at 05:19 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:34 PM   #381
Flasch186
Coordinator

just had one of those problems where the game is "not responding", I see a big square there but no Bowl bound within it, just the desktop. Had to restart, and.....lost a ton of work. Sucks!!

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-17-2005, 04:35 PM   #382
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I agree on the injury comments above. Injuries are vastly improved after the patch, but if it's recommended that a player sit, he's in street clothes on my sideline unless it's the last regular season game of the year. Too much risk of a severer injury occurring.

Last edited by Ajaxab : 12-17-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:39 PM   #383
Flasch186
Coordinator

on the recruits screen some cornerbacks show tackles for loss as numbers in the millions.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-17-2005, 05:41 PM   #384
Easy Mac

Recruit him then.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:51 PM   #385
Flasch186
Coordinator

on the accept visits screen when you bring up a player card, the arrows to scroll immediately next to their names dont correlate with the scrolling that they do. IOW the person that is next on the list is not who it goes to.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-17-2005, 05:57 PM   #386
Easy Mac

Yeah, I've noticed that since the demo. It seems to do it based on however it sorts originally and ignores re-sorts. It also does that on the roster screen I believe (at least to me it does)
Old 12-17-2005, 08:52 PM   #387
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

not a complaint AT ALL because I really enjoy it. But I find myself spending the majority of my time with the game doing recruiting. just wondering if anyone has any kind of "tips" for making the cumbersomeness of recruiting any less.

usually i find myself

1) going through the list of recruits with 10/9/8 (and maybe a few 7) interest guys and watch-listing everyone who is a 3-4-5 star player.
2) scouting as many of those guys as possible, obviously starting with the 10-5 guys and moving on down to the 9-5, 8-5 etc.

3) checking my e-mail to see what the recommendations are
4) starting to act on those, beginning to recruit the guys who i have a shot at using my watch list
5) checking the visit list and giving 5 visits

the problem is i find myself going through 3/4 constantly to make sure that the status of some of the guys hasn't changed with regards to how many offers they have and how much of a shot i have, and then having to constantly check the guys that i scouted to see how much more of their preferences is revealed so i can decide on my pitch.

is there any way that anyone has thought of to kinda...make this a little less..."click back and forth from the e-mail" intensive? short of printing out each e-mail, cuz the laptop isn't hooked to a printer...
Old 12-17-2005, 09:08 PM   #388
MJ4H
Coordinator

I copy/paste the email to notepad so I can have it open while recruiting.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:20 PM   #389
Easy Mac

Has anyone else noticed kicker stats being a little out of whack? Here's a screen of the top kickers through 10 weeks:

Here are the stats I've dug up so far:
From my game (10 weeks)
117 total FG > 50 yards
58 players kicked them
most 6
long 61 (60x2)

NCAA stats (full seasons):
2005:
47 total FG > 50 yards
33 players kicked them
most 5
long 58(2)

2004:
62 total FG > 50 yards
39 players kicked them
most 6
long 60

2003:
60 total
35 players
most 4
long 59

2002:
60 total
38 players
most 3
long 59(2)

If everyone else got normal kickers, maybe my league just had a good run.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:20 PM   #390
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

oooh that'd work.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:23 PM   #391
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
I copy/paste the email to notepad so I can have it open while recruiting.
I don't use the e-mail recommendations at all any more. They are tied directly to the 1-10 "Interest" ratings and the scouting service hired, I'm pretty sure. The "Interest" rating seems like plenty.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:26 PM   #392
Easy Mac

Another query. Do the awards screens sort automatically based on who is perceived to be the front runner? I only ask because the QB algorithm would have to be messed up in my game if it is. I only noticed because as I scrolled through the other awards, they seemed to make sense, with the top RB's at the top, WR's at the top... But the QB's don't really line-up for me.

qbs:

wrs

Last edited by Easy Mac : 12-17-2005 at 09:31 PM. Reason: edited for comparisons
Old 12-17-2005, 09:27 PM   #393
Easy Mac

dola, none of these are gamebreakers, don't mean to be negative or anything, just trying to help with the game.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:30 PM   #394
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah. long FG's being attempted/made fairly often
Old 12-17-2005, 09:35 PM   #395
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

you know, I've never received one of the emails that Skydog's mentioned... the one's from potential recruits who say "Dad went to your school and I want to go there as well", etc. Has anyone else seen these, and if so, how often do you get them? I would think playing as Oklahoma State I'd be getting at least one in 16 seasons. Also, if you ARE getting them, at what time of year do they show up?
Old 12-17-2005, 09:38 PM   #396
MJ4H
Coordinator

I get about 1 every year. You will receive it on the first week of recruiting.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:40 PM   #397
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
you know, I've never received one of the emails that Skydog's mentioned... the one's from potential recruits who say "Dad went to your school and I want to go there as well", etc. Has anyone else seen these, and if so, how often do you get them? I would think playing as Oklahoma State I'd be getting at least one in 16 seasons. Also, if you ARE getting them, at what time of year do they show up?
I wonder if you only get them when playing with a low-prestige school. It would make sense. After all, if you have enough $$$ to recruit out-of-region on a regular basis, the e-mail would just be clutter, because there might be several guys at each position who are out-of-region and are "10" interest. However, when I've only got $20K-$25K to spend each week on recruiting, I'm not looking out-of-region at all, so the e-mail tells me, "Hey Ben, you need to look in the West Region for Offensive Tackles! Yeah, 59 of the 60 have '1' interest, but there's one guy out there with '9', and he's a 3-star guy, too!"
Old 12-17-2005, 09:48 PM   #398
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

okay here's a question i havn't found an answer to. that little "Players Recruited" block down below your recruiting budget and remaining scholarships when you're recruiting...what is the significance of the #'s in parenthesis versus the ones not?
Old 12-17-2005, 09:53 PM   #399
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

the number of players you either have on the roster or have made scholarship offers to is the number not in parenthesis, and the minimum number of players you need at that position is the number in parenthesis.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:19 PM   #400
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
the number of players you either have on the roster or have made scholarship offers to is the number not in parenthesis, and the minimum number of players you need at that position is the number in parenthesis.

am i stupid or something? is that like in the damm manuel?