Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2006, 09:41 PM   #151
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Holy shit.

Testing of Floyd Landis' urine by a French antidoping lab reportedly detected synthetic testosterone. Citing a person at the International Cycling Union with knowledge of the result, The New York Times reported Monday that some of the hormone in the "A" sample is from an external source.

Either someone else had Landis's sample spiked, or he did juice and tried to cover it up. The word for the A sample is TAINTED, ie, foreign stuff was added to it.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:44 PM   #152
Logan
Head Coach

See, that's how I read the ESPN front page blurb too. But then I read the whole article and it made it seem that the "foreign substance" is something that the body doesn't produce naturally...ie a steroid of some sort.

But yeah, I'm confused.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:44 PM   #153
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Yellow syrup in the water battle?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:05 PM   #154
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Floyd, Floyd, Floyd
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:27 PM   #155
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
See, that's how I read the ESPN front page blurb too. But then I read the whole article and it made it seem that the "foreign substance" is something that the body doesn't produce naturally...ie a steroid of some sort.

But yeah, I'm confused.

ESPN was definately trying to confuse on its front page (they have since changed it). Basically, they are citing the NY Times report saying that Landis' sample had synthetic testosterone, meaning his claims of natural testosterone elevation was BS. Sample being 'tainted' meaning that it was positive for synthetic drugs.

External source meaning... a synthetic substance. Not natural elevation.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-31-2006 at 10:29 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #156
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The wire copy reports I see all say the test showed "more than twice" the legal limit of a 4:1 ratio. ESPN indicated this morning that the ratio was 11:1. I don't see how he explains his way out of this.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #157
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
I don't see how he explains his way out of this.

There is, apparently a handbook for this sort of thing. You get caught cheating, even caught red-handed, and you slip into a fairly unintelligibel stream of denials... I didn't do anyting... maybe it was a bad lab test... might have been some other stuff i took for a legit reason... who knows... I'm innocent.

At the end of that babbling, it turns out that a pretty substantial number of people will actualy believe you. I know it sounds absurd... but honestly, that seems to be how this works. It's kinda like rubbing sticks to make fire -- you'd never believe it coudl be done, but I'll be damned, it actually is effective sometimes.

No doubt there will be people who quickly stand up for the "botched test" theory, or the "someone's out to get the American" theory, or something else equally absurd, when there's a perfectly simple and straightforward explanation for all this right in front of them.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:44 AM   #158
Ryan S
Quarterback

The BBC website is reporting that the results will not be available until Saturday, which makes me wonder if the leaked reports are accurate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ng/5233476.stm
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #159
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

IIRC, the leaked reports are on the 'A' sample.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #160
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Yes, the reports are based on the A sample. Once the testosterone test came up abnormal, it was retested for synthetic sterorids.

The B sample is being tested now and the results are supposed to be due by Saturday. If that comes up negative, it will be a stunner, especially to Landis who has already said he expects it to be positive due to his natural potency.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:04 PM   #161
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
especially to Landis who has already said he expects it to be positive due to his natural potency.

lol
Old 08-01-2006, 01:09 PM   #162
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
There is, apparently a handbook for this sort of thing. You get caught cheating, even caught red-handed, and you slip into a fairly unintelligibel stream of denials... I didn't do anyting... maybe it was a bad lab test... might have been some other stuff i took for a legit reason... who knows... I'm innocent.
Don't forget "There's an explanation, but I can't tell you what it is out of respect for the ongoing investigation".

("Aw, what a nice guy, he respects the judicial process so much he's willing to go down in flames for it. We could all learn something from this display of integrity.")
Old 08-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #163
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Jack Daniels=Helluva drug
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:18 PM   #164
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Dola, maybe he got a vitamin B-12 injection from Miguel Tejada.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:21 PM   #165
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I could care less about the drug thing but I have one small request if they are going to televise this race. Please have them refrain from wearing a uniform that details their nutsack and weiner. We have the technology to prevent this.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #166
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

If we let them take more steroids they might get going so fast that they would just naturally blur on the screen, making nutsack hiding technology unnecessary.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:37 PM   #167
HomerSimpson
Mascot

I think he used Balco's massage therapist.
HomerSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #168
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
ESPN was definately trying to confuse on its front page (they have since changed it). Basically, they are citing the NY Times report saying that Landis' sample had synthetic testosterone, meaning his claims of natural testosterone elevation was BS. Sample being 'tainted' meaning that it was positive for synthetic drugs.

External source meaning... a synthetic substance. Not natural elevation.

I can't believe I actually expected responsible journalism from ESPN.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #169
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm going to throw this out and see if sticks. Am I the only one who would GAIN respect for Landis in this situation if he simply come out admitted it? Doesn't need to be a press conference -- just a TV journalist of your choice. Just apologize and say, "My back was against the wall. My dream was coming to an end, I realized I didn't have anything left and I made a bad choice."

Public relations aside, to me it's just the right thing to do. But taking PR into consideration, I think the problem is that sports agents are about 15 years behind the curve in managing a PR crisis. They continue to use deny/deny/deny when it just doesn't work. You get the story out first and get it out on your terms.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #170
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No, you probably wouldn't be. I think a very few people believe that anyone of the leaders at the Tour is clean, so if he admitted it, people may respect him more.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #171
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
They continue to use deny/deny/deny when it just doesn't work.
It does work. That's the problem.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:08 PM   #172
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm going to throw this out and see if sticks. Am I the only one who would GAIN respect for Landis in this situation if he simply come out admitted it? Doesn't need to be a press conference -- just a TV journalist of your choice. Just apologize and say, "My back was against the wall. My dream was coming to an end, I realized I didn't have anything left and I made a bad choice."

Public relations aside, to me it's just the right thing to do. But taking PR into consideration, I think the problem is that sports agents are about 15 years behind the curve in managing a PR crisis. They continue to use deny/deny/deny when it just doesn't work. You get the story out first and get it out on your terms.

No, not at this point. He has already denied/denied/denied. He has spent the last week saying he did not use anything, it was all natural blah blah blah. Now if he came out immediately after the test came back positive and said something similar to what you are saying that would be different. I don't know if I would go as far as saying he would gain my respect, but I would definitely appreciate his honesty.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #173
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

See, what you say may save him in the court of public opinion, but it wipes out any prayer he has of keeping the tour win or racing again for two years.

At this point, he still has some outs. Maybe the B sample will get corrupted somehow. Maybe some other leagal issue will allow him to escape with the victory in tact.

Would I have more respect for him? Right now it wouldn't be much different than the way I currently feel. He should lose the title, be suspended and he should be slapped about 200 times for being an idiot. Down the line, as the years pass, time and his own actions could sway me to support him. If ten years down the road he's still speaking to kids about tough choices, drugs and selling your soul. . . I'll have much more respect for him.

He admits it and then goes into hiding for two decades, I won't gain much respect at all from him.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #174
kcchief19
Pro Starter

We have a new defense: The Dehydration Sydrome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis' Lawyer
"Maybe a combination of dehydration, maximum effort," said Jose Maria Buxeda, after testing began Thursday on the cyclist's backup doping sample.
Too bad, the experts say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Expert
"In 25 years of experience of testing testosterone ... such a huge increase in the level of testosterone cannot be accepted to come from any natural factors," said Prof. Christiane Ayotte, director of Montreal's anti-doping laboratory."If dehydration was the case, then marathon runners would be testing positive all the time. Tennis players would be testing positive all the time. Dehydration is a medical condition that requires hospitalization. It has been invoked in the past, but not one case -- to my knowledge -- has been successful in this argument."
It's Maximum Cycling, baby!
Old 08-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #175
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
See, what you say may save him in the court of public opinion, but it wipes out any prayer he has of keeping the tour win or racing again for two years.
But that's precisely why -- especially in this case -- he should persue this. Landis isn't going to be racing anytime soon, both with the cloud and the hip hanging over his head. Right now, he is labeled a cheater and will forever carry the cheater label.

But the public is very forgiving with people -- unless they are lied to. If he came clean, I have no doubt that in a matter of time he'd have people on his side saying he made a mistake and deserves a second chance for confronting his demons and telling the truth. Now, everybody wants to tar and feather him.

But this requires that the athlete admit -- both to himself and to the public -- he cheated. I think in too many of these cases the athlete convinces himself that it's OK to cheat, maybe because everybody else is too.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:07 PM   #176
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Admittedly I didn't think of that excuse, even though it's obvious. Ok, we can add Dehydration. What would be next one?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:50 PM   #177
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

He ate a lot of beef steak the night before from a cow fed with growth hormone & testosterone.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 08-03-2006 at 07:50 PM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #178
thealmighty
Pro Starter

He was sure it was KY Jelly but apparently some diabolical sex-shop owner switched it for the cream.

P.S.- his wife did not complain. How was he to know.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #179
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I keep waiting for him to say that Lance Armstrong spiked his Gatorade -- you know, kind of a catchall.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:17 AM   #180
Critch
lolzcat

The French framed him.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:57 AM   #181
AlexB
Pro Starter

B Test confirmed positive.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:12 AM   #182
HomerSimpson
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
B Test confirmed positive.
LOL I thought baseball was bad.

Am I reading the reports correct. After testing positive for steroids in sample A last week, and another for positive test for steroids in sample B this week, the International Bike Committee(?) are now going to have to take Floyd Landis to court to try and have him removed as the 2006 Tour de France winner???
Old 08-05-2006, 08:20 AM   #183
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Actually no, the UCI (International Cyclist Union) has requested that the US cycling federation open a disciplinary procedure against Landis. That's the usual procedure apparently.

Oh, and Floyd has also been fired from his team Phonak.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:36 AM   #184
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The Floyd Landis Public Relations Spin Tour officially took off today. I'm trying to avoid waking up this morning and Mrs. kcchief19 turns on the Today show, which had Floyd and his wife on live via satellite. Five minutes later, she flips over to Good Morning America and Robin Roberts is doing the same thing. Impressive saturation.

The revisionist history going on was impressive. Floyd was blaming the ICU for leaking his positive test result, when everything I saw indicated that Phonak was the one who first revealed the test result. He also claimed that he had nothing to do with some of the explanations his camp was putting forward, specificially saying he had nothing to do with the whiskey/beer defense and dehydration/maximum effort defense. Which I guess means the "Manly" defense is pure Landis.

He also tried to explain that the carbon isotope test is a "subjective" test and is not conclusive. He also claimed that the first test that showed the 11:1 ratio showed "natural" testosterone and that it was the "subjective" carbon isotope test that showed otherwise.

I came away with the impression that either Floyd has no idea what he is talking about, that he has told so many lies that he can't keep up with them or some combination of both.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #185
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Nice to see he's using the Armstrong/Bonds defence of "Hey, forget what the test results/testimony actually said, you should never have heard about it in the first place!"
Old 08-07-2006, 10:48 AM   #186
QuikSand
lolzcat

The most convincing element of the "no, I'm clean" spin is usually the argument about passed tests. See also Armstrong, Lance and any number of others in similar situations (those either failing a test or being accued of doping). The whole argument relies on us, the ever-gullible public, believing the idea that tests catch cheaters. So, the accused athlete goes on record counting all the tests that failed to show a problem, and uses that as the central exhibit in the "I'm clean" defense. Landis is doing exactly this now, with a specific new spin -- since he tested negative in several earlier tests and then positive -- he's asking us to draw the conclusion that he was clean right up until that one stage, leading to a preposterous suggestion.

The weak underpinning beneath all this, however, is the entire belief in testing as being that effective. If, like many of us, you believe that the drug-makers are smarter, richer, and more motivated than the test-makers... and that drug users are able to pass tests regularly... then this whole argument won't hold water at all. It will, as usual, convince many (especially those who come in already sympathetic to the athlete) that he's really okay... but it's a logical argument built entirely upon a very suspect premise.

In my mind, the single most likely situation that explains everything is this: Landis is a cheater, just like nearly everyone in his sport. The successful cheaters routinely use some sort of tricky chemical or masking agent that allows them to usually pass tests. From time to time, the dope-masking stuff fails to do its job, and they get caught as their true doping nature is revealed. That's what heppened here. Maybe he did something different this particular night, maybe it really was (in a perverse twist on the various defensxes that have been offered up) the whiskey or the dehydration that caused the dope-mask to fail this time... but for whatever reason, he was exposed by a failed test for the doper that he is. Luckily for the guy who finished in second place, his dope-masking worked properly, and he will be awarded the title.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:26 AM   #187
HomerSimpson
Mascot

How do they explain his other negative tests? He tested negative for steroids the stage before and the stage after. That would mean we are talking about a synthetic testosterone that clears the body in under 48 hours!!!

I wonder how many Profesional Athletes are paying attention to this quick turnaround? Shoot up on Sunday and test clean on Tuesday. Unlike the Olympics or Cycling most American Sports do not test their players immediately after the game.

Last edited by HomerSimpson : 08-07-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #188
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
In my mind, the single most likely situation that explains everything is this: Landis is a cheater, just like nearly everyone in his sport. The successful cheaters routinely use some sort of tricky chemical or masking agent that allows them to usually pass tests. From time to time, the dope-masking stuff fails to do its job, and they get caught as their true doping nature is revealed. That's what heppened here. Maybe he did something different this particular night, maybe it really was (in a perverse twist on the various defensxes that have been offered up) the whiskey or the dehydration that caused the dope-mask to fail this time... but for whatever reason, he was exposed by a failed test for the doper that he is. Luckily for the guy who finished in second place, his dope-masking worked properly, and he will be awarded the title.
Do you also think that simply because Barry Bonds was using 'stuff' to hit homeruns, that every man who hits a homerun has to be drugged? It's this kind of arguments I won't buy, and thus, I don't believe that because Landis was 'cheating' everybody racing against him was cheating. Mister Landis acted like a first class a-hole ("I will gain 10 minutes on [number two]") and that to me made him a much more suspect guy than others.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #189
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

So did Ullrich come off the bench or what?
Old 08-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #190
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Do you also think that simply because Barry Bonds was using 'stuff' to hit homeruns, that every man who hits a homerun has to be drugged? It's this kind of arguments I won't buy, and thus, I don't believe that because Landis was 'cheating' everybody racing against him was cheating. Mister Landis acted like a first class a-hole ("I will gain 10 minutes on [number two]") and that to me made him a much more suspect guy than others.
Not to speak for Quik, but in my case and I think mainly on this side of the pond, Landis testing positive doesn't mean that every cyclist is cheating -- but the fact that 48 cyclists were caught in a sting and four of the top five finishers in last year's race were barred from competiting this year is indicating that "everybody" is cheating. And by "everybody," I mean any cyclist who had a chance to win. The guy who came in last might have been clean. But it seems unlikely given how many people in cycling have been cheating that anyone could compete without cheating.

Except for Lance Armstrong. Completely clean, nothing to see here. So just leave him out of this.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #191
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Perhaps the Tour de France would be a more interesting sporting event if they just televised the results of the drug tests. That seems to be where the action lies and, with clever editing, I am sure you could get the whole thing down to a nice 2 hour "TV event" and spruce it up a little bit. You could have that "Weakest Link" lady host it. I doubt she's up to much.

It'd save the folks at OLN/Versus plenty of airtime to show more rodeos, fishing shows, old hockey games, and old episodes of "Survivor"
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #192
thealmighty
Pro Starter

The way I read some of the testimony in the recent $5 million Lance Lawsuit, Floyd was one of the few that were clean on Postal. It pissed him off so much (among other things) that he left.

So, did he decide that to be able to compete for the top prize in his sport with a bunch of riders who were doping, he had to start also?

Just wonderin'.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:53 AM   #193
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Not to speak for Quik, but in my case and I think mainly on this side of the pond, Landis testing positive doesn't mean that every cyclist is cheating -- but the fact that 48 cyclists were caught in a sting and four of the top five finishers in last year's race were barred from competiting this year is indicating that "everybody" is cheating. And by "everybody," I mean any cyclist who had a chance to win. The guy who came in last might have been clean. But it seems unlikely given how many people in cycling have been cheating that anyone could compete without cheating.

Except for Lance Armstrong. Completely clean, nothing to see here. So just leave him out of this.
I guess it's the same over here. After Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa were caught cheating, people went like: duh, it's baseball, they're all on steroids. Same story with (american) football. And same story with cycling since, well, I guess the 1980s. And soccer players are, of course, all clean, despite all those nandrolon suspensions. It's just that I don't like those 'easy' conclusions without evidence (I'm probably too naive...) It's the same sentiment that makes people think all muslims are terrorists, etc.

Fact is that Floyd Landis has gone to my 'list' of people I'll have a hard time believing what they say ever again, while other cyclists (still?) never proven to be cheating are on my (and should be on anybody's) asterix-free 'list'.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-08-2006 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:09 AM   #194
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quik has it right. I would slightly modify his statement to "a lot of competitors" instead of "everybody" but everything else is what I believe. That was what Balco was all about. Coming up with new methods to mask doping and passing tests (different drugs, schedules, etc.). This easily explains how cheaters pass so many tests but then finally get caught.

As a final note, I just saw Landis' press conference statement for the first time. How poor was that? He starts out "I have never been involved in," then has to pause and look down at his written statement, then looks back up and says "doping process." I mean the guy can't even keep straight what he's supposed to say. If you're clean, you should have no problem coming out and saying it without a prepared statement. Something like, "I have never taken steroids, period."

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 08-08-2006 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:59 AM   #195
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson
How do they explain his other negative tests? He tested negative for steroids the stage before and the stage after. That would mean we are talking about a synthetic testosterone that clears the body in under 48 hours!!!

I wonder how many Profesional Athletes are paying attention to this quick turnaround? Shoot up on Sunday and test clean on Tuesday. Unlike the Olympics or Cycling most American Sports do not test their players immediately after the game.

It isn't really a quick turn around that caused this phenomenon. The battery of tests after a stage, includes a test that detects the ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone in a cyclist's blood. That is the initial test that Landis failed. That battery of tests doesn't test for natural versus synthetic testosterone. The second test detects synthetic hormones. The initial T/E ratio test essentially detected that Floyd had used some sort of masking agent to depress the amount of testosterone registering on the test. They followed up and discovered why he needed the masking agent.

In other words it wasn't that the tests before and after were clean, it was that the masking agents worked properly, so the tests weren't followed up on to detect synthetic testosterone. I'm thinking they will, now that these tests came in positive, but I'm not certain.

I guess it is possible that Floyd was clean up until the stage he tested positive for. In fact, I'm sort of hoping that he knew he needed to do something spectacular, and made a desperate decision. That is the only way he can come away from this with any sort of dignity remaining, well that and if he comes clean with that story.

This really does change my opinion about the whole "testing" issue. I'm coming around to QS's position, that it is somewhat folly to believe that the tests are genuinely effective.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #196
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Oh, it's is starting to sound more and more plausible that 'everybody' is involved. Other cyclists don't talk about cheaters and non-cheaters, they talk about the caught guys being stupid and they talk vaguely about how this could happen. And they all say cycling can be done without 'stuff'. And the guy getting caught was really stupid.

But at the same time, if you go start assuming 'everybody' is involved, then you get paranoid from needning to figuring who you can trust and who you can't anymore. Politicians one by one get stuck in their own nets of lies, sports people are one by one getting caught 'cheating'. What role models are left behind? Pop idols and their 'messed up' music world? Writers, who 'all' make up stories without checking facts on what they write about? The movie business, where 'everybody' sleeps with 'everybody'?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:31 AM   #197
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I look in the mirror for my role models.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #198
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Our boy Floyd was on Leno last night as part of his defensive team's public relations tour. Some of the gems:

Quote:
He offered still another new theory: "Now there's also the possibility, and it's an argument that has been used by other people. At this point, I don't know if it's somehow or some way I ingested something that caused the tests to be that way."
I love this. "Perhaps" he ingested "something" that caused the positive test. What he's trying to imply is that he may have ingested "something" that caused the positive test that was a banned substance -- like he had a poppy seed muffin for breakfast and the opium caused a positive synthetic testosterone test. He can't admit to "accidentally" ingesting testosterone because then he'd still be screwed.
Quote:
Landis went on to repeat some possibilities he and his defense team had floated earlier, that there was some type of natural occurrence in his body that caused the positive tests. He added, "And I'm beginning to wonder about this myself after the way the situation's been handled, is that after the (sample) leaves my hands ... after I give them the sample, I don't know where it goes."
1. Thyroid medication
2. Cortisone shot for degenerative hip condition
3. Whiskey/beer
4. Natural manliness
5. Maximum effort/dehydration
6. Ingested "something"
7. Tampering

Have I missed anything?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:49 PM   #199
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

he did ingest something.... Testosterone!
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #200
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

Thanks - I stepped away from this thread and forgot that I'd probably get backlash. This sums up my view just fine. I don't know much about cycling, but nearly every candid assessment I have heard or read suggests that the sports is just doped up like crazy.