Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Router Recomendations

I am looking to get a Wireless-N router and I also need one adapter for it in the under $200 range for both of them. I am currently looking at various ones on amazon but all of them seem to have a fair amount of bad reviews and was wondering if thats something unavoidable without spending a bit more money. I am currently leaning towards the D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless Router so if anyone has any experience with that or something else they liked or disliked input would be appreciated.

-apoc- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
DanGarion
Coordinator

Don't get the D-Link DIR-825 it's crap.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -apoc- View Post
I am looking to get a Wireless-N router and I also need one adapter for it in the under $200 range for both of them. I am currently looking at various ones on amazon but all of them seem to have a fair amount of bad reviews and was wondering if thats something unavoidable without spending a bit more money. I am currently leaning towards the D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless Router so if anyone has any experience with that or something else they liked or disliked input would be appreciated.

I have a DIR-655 running in a test lab at home that hasn't had any problems with it for over a year. I personally don't use it as my systems are on a completely different VLAN at home, but my kids and wife use it some.

The DIR-655 is a solid piece of hardware, at least if you get some of the earlier hardware versions. I'm not as familiar with the latest revisions of it.

D-Link is notorious for releasing new firmware a bit prematurely that causes all kinds of issues however, so if you do go with a DIR-655, you likely will want to find what one of the stable firmware versions are and stick with it unless there is some real reason or need to upgrade (either needed functionality or security concern).

As for recommending other routers, I guess it depends on what your own comfort with administrating them is as well as your needed features. My favorite home router stuff usually is third party firmware capable devices, but there is not alot of N-draft hardware capable of running 3rd party firmware very well just yet. So if you need 802.11n, I would just stick with the d-link myself.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I have a DIR-655 running in a test lab at home that hasn't had any problems with it for over a year. I personally don't use it as my systems are on a completely different VLAN at home, but my kids and wife use it some.

The DIR-655 is a solid piece of hardware, at least if you get some of the earlier hardware versions. I'm not as familiar with the latest revisions of it.

D-Link is notorious for releasing new firmware a bit prematurely that causes all kinds of issues however, so if you do go with a DIR-655, you likely will want to find what one of the stable firmware versions are and stick with it unless there is some real reason or need to upgrade (either needed functionality or security concern).

As for recommending other routers, I guess it depends on what your own comfort with administrating them is as well as your needed features. My favorite home router stuff usually is third party firmware capable devices, but there is not alot of N-draft hardware capable of running 3rd party firmware very well just yet. So if you need 802.11n, I would just stick with the d-link myself.

Perfect thanks I am going to go ahead and order it then.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I'm currently using a DIR-655 at home with about 8 computers, three consoles, an iphone, and itouch. (yes we are a digital family) I haven't had any issues over the last year, but lately it has started becoming non-responsive about once a week. It clears with a power cycle. So, I'm currently trying to hunt down the culprit. I don't know if it is the router itself or something running on the network that is clogging it up. I have been very happy with it otherwise.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Just a follow up. I found on the D-Link forums that a lot of people are having issues with their DIR-655 freezing up and requiring a reboot like I was. It seems to be related to the 1.3x rev of code. If the one you ordered comes with 1.2x, I would leave it as is and not upgrade to the 1.3 until they have figure it out.

Last edited by Lonnie : 09-12-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote