Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

2017 College Baseball Thread

About that time for the season to begin in the next couple weeks, so a good time to look ahead. The reigning defending champions (still can't believe I can say that) Coastal Carolina Chants move up to the Sun Belt this year, and are ranked #1 in their division, and as high as #9 nationally.

Would not surprise me to see them struggle early in their non-conference schedule, as they lost a lot on the offensive side of the ball to graduation, and it will be hard to replace that magic and heart right away. They led the nation in stolen bases last season, and would not surprise me if they challenge for that again.

Pitching wise, a lot returns from last season including most outstanding player of the College World Series, Andrew Beckwith. The team is relatively healthy right now, but if key members of the pitching staff go down, it could be a long season for them.

Right now it looks to me like TCU will be the team to beat, as they have most of their team returning. But there are always teams that surprise, and the season is long so anything could happen.

Coastal Carolina baseball team picked to win its division in the Sun Belt Conference | The Sun News

Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well I see this thread has had a lot of interest since I started it Anyway its that time of year again and conference tournaments have started. Early in the season, it definitely looked like the "magic" had left Coastal Carolina's baseball team, but they finally got in a groove and won their division in the Sun Belt and the #1 seed in the conference tourney.

However they are still not a given to make it to regionals, and may need to win a couple games at least to make it there. The weather however has been so awful there they had to cancel the first two days of the tournament, and make it single elimination. They should get to play their first game today however, and maybe they can recapture the sense of urgency that got them through to the CWS and national championship.

How is "your" team doing?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
Atocep
Coordinator

WVU is on to the 2nd round of the Big 12 tournament and is in line to get its first ncaa tournament bid in 20 years. The job Mazzey has done building the program is incredible. A sport that was an afterthought 5 years ago now has a beautiful new ball park with a minor league team attached, made the Big 12 finals last year, was the first team out of the tournament last year, and has been hanging around as a possible regional host for much of the year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

Clemson lost to Duke on Tuesday, which basically ended their ACC tournament. It made it impossible for them to advance out of their pool.

Clemson could've potentially gotten a national seed with a run in the ACC tournament, but now look like they will host a first round pod and then have to travel for a Super Regional.

They have not been playing all that great down the stretch, but getting out of the Regionals would be an improvement over last season.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
WVU is on to the 2nd round of the Big 12 tournament and is in line to get its first ncaa tournament bid in 20 years. The job Mazzey has done building the program is incredible. A sport that was an afterthought 5 years ago now has a beautiful new ball park with a minor league team attached, made the Big 12 finals last year, was the first team out of the tournament last year, and has been hanging around as a possible regional host for much of the year.

good luck to WVU!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Clemson lost to Duke on Tuesday, which basically ended their ACC tournament. It made it impossible for them to advance out of their pool.

Clemson could've potentially gotten a national seed with a run in the ACC tournament, but now look like they will host a first round pod and then have to travel for a Super Regional.

They have not been playing all that great down the stretch, but getting out of the Regionals would be an improvement over last season.

yeah one guy had Coastal being the #3 seed in their bracket, which I was not looking forward to as Clemson just beat them a couple of weeks ago in their mid-week game.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #7
Thomkal
Head Coach

not a good weekend for most South Carolina baseball teams, most of the big names lost in their tournament, including sadly Coastal Carolina, who as I feared, ran into trouble when the Sun Belt had to go to single-elimination due to weather. Lost in their first game to #8 seed Texas State-#2 seed Texas-Arlington also lost their first game.

Now they may have to rely on the right team winning the Sun Belt now, so they don't lose an at-large bid to a team in their own conference. #3 seed South Alabama likely needs to beat #5 seed Georgia Southern to give Coastal their best chance to hear their name on Monday. South Alabama leads 4-2 right now.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow Ga Southern hits a 3-run HR in the top of the 9th, South Alabama answers with back to back HR's in the bottom of the 9th and they go to extra innings.

South Alabama wins in 10 so still some hope for Coastal.

Last edited by Thomkal : 05-28-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Longhorns made the Big 12 championship game, but fell by one run to Oklahoma State. Had the tying run on in the bottom of the ninth, but couldn't advance him.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #10
Thomkal
Head Coach

oof
Old 05-28-2017, 07:03 PM   #11
bronconick
College Starter

Oregon State finished the regular season 49-4
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #12
digamma
Torchbearer

Bracket

No Coastal. Lots of Texas representation. Probably going to cheer for Wake.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
Thomkal
Head Coach

bummer-doesn't even look like they were one of the last four out.

Good luck to "your" team if they made it though!

Last edited by Thomkal : 05-29-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:31 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Skimming the bracket I see no GT, no Ole Miss. So I'm pretty much done barring some Cinderella story or some heavily anti-team-X situation.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:47 PM   #15
digamma
Torchbearer

I think it is the worst GT season since like 1981.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #16
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Miami misses the postseason for the first time in 45 years.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #17
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa upsets Houston and plays Texas A&M tonight at 7.

Iowa is the lowest seeded team in the tourney. But have won 8 of their last 10 and are on fire, including winning the B1G championship.

Go Hawks!

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #18
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Texas-Long Beach State game last night was a great one. Texas tied the game in the top of the 8th with a home run, and in the bottom of the ninth the Texas outfielder made an incredible game-saving diving catch to send the game to extra innings. Long Beach State had a couple of chances to win, the closest a ball that got past an outfielder that they tried to stretch into an inside the park HR. The 3rd baseman barehanded the relay, and got the ball to the catcher just in time for an incredibly close play at the plate. Texas got two in the top of the 12th, and held on for the win.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #19
tarcone
Coordinator

Sounds like an awesome game.

Iowa lost to Texas A&M, 3-2. We play Houston again today. Im not that optimistic anymore.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #20
Atocep
Coordinator

WVU is in a regional final for the first time in 35 years. Have to beat Wake twice.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #21
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa/Houston has been delayed by rain for 4 hours. Not sure when it will start.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #22
cartman
Death Herald

Long Beach State eliminated San Diego State to get a rematch with Texas. They held on to beat the Longhorns 4-3, to set up a third game this evening to decide who moves on to the Super Regional.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #23
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa eliminated by Houston, 7-5.

Great season by the Hawks. This is a sport we dont usually do much in. But our coach has the team moving in the right direction. Hopefully the trend continues.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #24
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Razorbacks end up winning the game 11-10 at 3:12 AM (rain delays) to set up the final game tonight vs Missouri State again.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #25
Thomkal
Head Coach

Nice run by Iowa at the end of the season-hopefully they can build on that.

Here are the regional results:

2017 DI Baseball Bracket | NCAA.com

Some teams still playing today. The big shocker so far has to be #4 seed Davidson not dropping a game all regional, including two wins vs #1 seed North Carolina. Some chances still out there for the "little guys"-Sam Houston, Missouri State, Dallas Baptist, Bethune-Cookman. After last year especially, I have to root for the "little guys"
Old 06-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #26
Butter
Coordinator

That Davidson win was crazy. Two controversial calls on the last two outs preserved their one run victory, including an outfield throw out at the plate where the tag was missed and the plate was missed by the diving runner. Seek out highlights.

Clemson-Vanderbilt at 4 PM on ESPNU today, should be interesting. Fully expect Vandy to get the win since Clemson had to win two yesterday, and was at the park from about 11 AM until 1 AM due to rain delays... or should I say "threat of rain" delays.

Rooting hard for Bethune-Cookman today, and Dallas Baptist... they seem like they have been on the verge of breaking through a couple of times before.

Last edited by Butter : 06-05-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:39 AM   #27
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow crazy I will see if i can find that Butter. Forecast for next 2 or 3 days not good here in Myrtle Beach, they may have a tough time getting that Clemson regional finished.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #28
Butter
Coordinator

Craziness starts at 2:40 of video... scenario is 2-1 Davidson, bottom of 9, runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out.

Davidson Baseball Regional Championship - YouTube

Davidson's coach, Dick Cooke, has been there since 1991, and this is their first tournament appearance with just 9 baseball scholarships to hand out (instead of usual 11.7 max). Plus Cooke was rear ended by a drunk driver going 100 on the Interstate that spun his car into a tree... he broke a leg, and had multiple internal injuries that he survived in 2013 but left his career in doubt.

Really, this is like a 16 beating a 1 in basketball. Davidson was a 6 seed in the A10 tournament, which is not exactly a hotbed of baseball. UNC was the #2 national overall seed. Amazing.

Last edited by Butter : 06-05-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #29
Thomkal
Head Coach

Amazing indeed. The NC runner clearly missed home plate, but they might have had a case on the tag getting there in time after that. Maybe on the throw to 1st too to end the game.

But North Carolina has been a thorn in Coastal Carolina's side in recent years, so happy any time they lose. I would certainly equate it to a #16 beating a #1 seed.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #30
digamma
Torchbearer

They did it twice too, jumping out to an 8-0 lead and winning 8-4 on Friday.

I thought the play at home was pretty clearly an out. The play at first was mighty close.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #31
tarcone
Coordinator

I thought both runners were out in the Davidson game. The home plate ump did make a mistake by calling the runner safe before the play was over. But other then that, both calls were good.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #32
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Nice run by Iowa at the end of the season-hopefully they can build on that.

Here are the regional results:

2017 DI Baseball Bracket | NCAA.com

Some teams still playing today. The big shocker so far has to be #4 seed Davidson not dropping a game all regional, including two wins vs #1 seed North Carolina. Some chances still out there for the "little guys"-Sam Houston, Missouri State, Dallas Baptist, Bethune-Cookman. After last year especially, I have to root for the "little guys"

Score one of the Little Guys-Sam Houston State takes the Texas Tech Regional as the #3 seed. Bethune-Cookman not looking good against Florida State. Texas A&M takes the Houston Regional as the #3 seed. Clemson regional might not finish until Wed given the rain. TCU's regional still has 3 teams left if they can ever stay on the field.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #33
cartman
Death Herald

Long Beach State won a pitcher's duel over Texas 2-1 to advance to the super regionals.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #34
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like all the regionals were able to finish, good to see. Vanderbilt, Missouri State, Florida State, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Florida, and TCU all survive and move on. Couple intriguing matchups in the next round with Kentucky/Louisville having the potential to be the most crazy given their schools history.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #35
tarcone
Coordinator

Im jumping on the Missouri State bandwagon.

Go Bears!

Old 06-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #36
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Maryland's coach has been hired by VA Tech.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #37
Thomkal
Head Coach

There was an article in today's local paper about how South Carolina (who just fired their head coach) may be interested in Coastal Carolina's head coach. The two schools have not exactly been "buddies" since Coastal broke away from SC, baseball maybe top of the list. But better in last couple years. Who better for SC to go after than a recent winner of the College World Series though? Should be interesting to see if anything comes of it.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #38
Thomkal
Head Coach

One spot left in the College World Series. Florida and Wake Forest are in the midst of Game 2 when it resumes today, and depending on who wins-a game 3 is possible. Other than Cal State Fullerton, no "little school" has made it to the CWS. So no "feel-good" story like Coastal Carolina last summer. Good luck to any of "your" teams that are still standing:

College baseball: Seven teams moving on to Omaha after Sunday's Super Regional action | NCAA.com
Old 06-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #39
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Fullerton, while a small school, is hardly small in terms of Baseball reputation.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #40
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Fullerton, while a small school, is hardly small in terms of Baseball reputation.

yeah I was stretching my small school love a bit there, but had to find someone to root for
Old 06-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #41
cartman
Death Herald

Yeah, it seems like the small school dreams died when Davidson lost in late extra innings to Texas A&M in the first game of the super regionals.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #42
bronconick
College Starter

Sam Houston State gave up a walk off in the 9th inning against Florida State in game 1, then walked 10, hit another half dozen and lost 19-0 in game 2.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #43
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
yeah I was stretching my small school love a bit there, but had to find someone to root for

Fair enough

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 06-12-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #44
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Fullerton is actually quite large, one of the biggest schools in California. They just don't put that much into big boy athletics.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #45
cartman
Death Herald

Wake Forest got a walk-off homer in the 12th to force a game 3 with Florida State
Old 06-13-2017, 03:49 AM   #46
thealmighty
Pro Starter

My wife grew-up in Baton Rouge, I grew-up in Ft. Worth and my oldest daughter went to school at A&M. Could get tense.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:35 AM   #47
Butter
Coordinator

A&M is the lowest ranked team in Omaha. Sounds boring. I guess it'll make for good baseball, but I prefer Cinderella stories in my CWS.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:58 PM   #48
MrBug708
Head Coach

Disappointed in watching the LSU-OSU game. I hate being the guy who says "the fix is in for the SEC", but that was shameful
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #49
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Disappointed in watching the LSU-OSU game. I hate being the guy who says "the fix is in for the SEC", but that was shameful

what happened?
Old 06-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #50
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
what happened?
CJ Fogler on Twitter: "Absolutely brutal strike call, this umpire should not work behind the plate again in the #CWS https://t.co/PE6BdmlGfe"

2 on and no out, these exact pitches were called strike two and strike three in the ninth. Top link was strike two, picture was strike 3

Earlier in the game

Sports Illustrated on Twitter: "Just a brutal call in the Oregon State-LSU #CWS game https://t.co/KQpneLYerw"

It was pretty much the strike zone OSU had to deal with all game.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote