Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #101
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal down by 1 in the 9th had one man on and a power hitter at bat. Hit it all the way to the wall...and was caught. Next guy up struck out and Coastal's season over. Not enough magic in this year's team sadly. Good luck to your team the rest of the way.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:33 PM   #102
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Indiana held off A&M 9-7, and they'll face the Longhorns tonight. The Aggies has men on 1st and 2nd with one out in the bottom of the 9th, but hit into a double play to end the game.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:20 PM   #103
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Washington beats UConn again to advance to the Super Regionals (first time ever I believe). Earlier today the UW softball team advanced to the finals for the fourth time ever and first time since winning it all in 2009. Fun times!
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:30 AM   #104
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas won a nail biter against Indiana. Indiana was the home team in this one, and they were trailing 3-2 going into the ninth. They got their first two guys on board, and loaded the bases with one out. Texas got a strikeout for the second out, and apparently won the game when the left fielder caught a foul ball. But the ump ruled it wasn't a catch, because after he caught it, he spun around and flung the ball in celebration. No matter, a couple of pitches later the Longhorns got the clinching out with a strikeout.

Last edited by cartman : 06-04-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #105
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow that's a strange ruling.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #106
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I didn't see the play, but that's ridiculous. You can't throw the ball without having possession of it. That sounds like the Steelers play at the end of the Patriots game - how you can not have possession if you were able to reach with the ball?

You'd literally have to spin as you caught it and just let it fly out of our glove while catching it for that ruling to make sense. Which might be what happened, I don't know.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #107
cartman
Death Herald

That is close to what happened. He had to lean over the railing to catch the ball, got a foot down, and then he spun and flung the ball out of his glove in celebration.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #108
Ksyrup

Well at least it sounds like there was some justification for it. Pitcher bailed him out!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #109
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Washington beats UConn again to advance to the Super Regionals (first time ever I believe). Earlier today the UW softball team advanced to the finals for the fourth time ever and first time since winning it all in 2009. Fun times!

Belated Congrats to Washington for winning the Regional, especially if it is the first time they have made it that far. Given Coastal Carolina's history, I'm a big fan of teams making to the CWS for the first time, so I certainly will be rooting for them over Cal State Fullerton.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #110
cartman
Death Herald

I'm hoping for a Texas-Cal State Fullerton CWS final. Call it the Augie Garrido Classic.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Idle fun fact from the Oxford regional

Saturday attendance at Swayze: 11,304
Tennessee Tech fall 2017 enrollment: 10,504
Old 06-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #112
Butter
Coordinator

You forgot one... today's score:

TTU 7
Miss 0
thru 6

Last edited by Butter : 06-04-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
You forgot one... today's score:

TTU 7
Miss 0
thru 6

Oh game one today has been a thorough bed shitting. Ole Miss didn't look like they even wanted to bother with this game. Here's to them setting an alarm clock before the finale.

Honestly, not much of a surprise to anyone who has seen them over the course of the season. The pitching staff in particular - hyped quite a bit during the tourney coverage - built up their stats during the early part of the season & then regressed back to their actual level. Their margin for error is slim & it's a bad matchup, as their weakness has been teams that will swing at pitches they groove (with shocking frequency).
Old 06-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #114
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Duke salvages a little something from a largely miserable weekend for the ACC, beating UGAg twice on Monday to advance.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:00 PM   #115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

EPIC bedshitting by Ole Miss, no other way to describe it really.

I'd love to find a culprit to pin it on, with Bianco being the obvious choice, but aside from finding a way to get Rowe into the lineup more I don't know much I'd change about his managing here.

This one has to sit largely on a group of players that underachieved when it counted, a group that was proven to be overhyped & overrated.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:04 PM   #116
Thomkal
Head Coach

yeah Duke winning that regional has to be one of the biggest surprises of the weekend.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #117
Butter
Coordinator

Rooting for Stetson, Tennessee Tech, and Minnesota.

And in the unlikely event FAU pulls this off, them.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:29 PM   #118
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

As Twitter noted ... Omaha = Ole Miss Ain't Here Again
Old 06-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #119
cartman
Death Herald

Well, that changes my weekend plans now that the super regional is here in Austin.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #120
Ksyrup

FAU came up just short against UF. I knew they would regret only getting 2 runs out of the 1st inning.

On a separate note, college softball world series is going on and FSU is 1 win away from a championship. Pretty remarkable. FSU has always been a very good team - even made the WS a few times - but never really been able to consistently play with the big girls. This year, with a team that didn't look as good as previous ones on paper before the season, they may pull it off.

I love college softball for obvious reasons (my kids both play and I have one playing in college), but I hate the fact that mid-majors almost never go far. This year, all 16 nationally-seeded teams won their regions and all top 8 teams won their super regionals. Softball largely makes college football look inclusive by comparison. You get a ULL every now and then, but it's almost always SEC, PAC 12 and 2-3 from BIG 10, BIG 12 and ACC.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:39 AM   #121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
FAU came up just short against UF. I knew they would regret only getting 2 runs out of the 1st inning.

On a separate note, college softball world series is going on and FSU is 1 win away from a championship. Pretty remarkable. FSU has always been a very good team - even made the WS a few times - but never really been able to consistently play with the big girls. This year, with a team that didn't look as good as previous ones on paper before the season, they may pull it off.

I love college softball for obvious reasons (my kids both play and I have one playing in college), but I hate the fact that mid-majors almost never go far. This year, all 16 nationally-seeded teams won their regions and all top 8 teams won their super regionals. Softball largely makes college football look inclusive by comparison. You get a ULL every now and then, but it's almost always SEC, PAC 12 and 2-3 from BIG 10, BIG 12 and ACC.

Probably can't blame the ACC too much. Only 2 teams (FSU 10x and Va Tech 1x, in 2008) have ever made the WCWS

Probably can't blame the Big 10 too much either really, only 4 teams have made the WCWS in the 2000s.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #122
Ksyrup

The point was, it's almost always teams from the P5 conferences. It is unfortunate that very few mid-majors are able to crack the top 16.

FSU has been the only consistent ACC powerhouse the past decade.

Big 10, Michigan has been the goliath over the past 2 decades. Minnesota made a brief run the past couple of years. Most of the rest of the conference is crap, largely because of geography (not enough good players from those areas due to weather).

Big 12 - Oklahoma, Baylor and Texas have been the best teams to come out of this conference. Texas has been slipping and just let go a coach who built the program over 23 years. Question is whether they will attempt to make a splash and go after an SEC coach to rebuild into a powerhouse again.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #123
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The point was, it's almost always teams from the P5 conferences. It is unfortunate that very few mid-majors are able to crack the top 16.

Oh I got your point, I'm simply not sure they're competitive enough to warrant the number of bids they get at all honestly. My point to the P5 stuff was meant to illustrate that outside of the Pacwhatever & the SEC, there still aren't all that many legitimate programs in the sport period, P5 or mid-major. And that's despite significant upticks in a number of programs over the past 10-20 years (the SEC wasn't in that class until that time frame either honestly)

It's still about as top heavy as anything can get, worse than women's basketball in that regard.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #124
Ksyrup

There's 300+ D1 programs, so that probably contributes to it. The relative lack of money in the sport also makes it easy for the P5 programs to dominate and horde all the talent, other than the few who they don't see and end up at lesser programs.

And then guess what? Players are free to transfer, so when someone proves themselves at a smaller school, the big schools come in and recruit them away. Mid-majors are essentially farm systems for the big programs. FSU lost a senior pitcher last year, so what did they do? Went out a got a senior from FAU this year (Kylee Hansen). There's a stud junior at FIU (Shannon Saile) who will end up on a P5 roster next year, likely either FSU or UF. It's the way it's done. Caitlin's team lost a stud player to Arkansas 3 years ago.

I'm all for free player movement, but this is the downside for competitiveness.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #125
cartman
Death Herald

The first games of the super regionals have kicked off!
Old 06-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #126
cartman
Death Herald

North Carolina took the first game from Stetson, and Washington bested Cal State Fullerton in their opening match.

Can't wait for the Texas-Tennessee Tech games. I've got tickets for Saturday and Sunday. Look for me in the crowd. I'll be the one wearing Longhorn gear!
Old 06-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #127
Thomkal
Head Coach

You'll be easy to spot
Old 06-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #128
Thomkal
Head Coach

North Carolina has advanced to the CWS
Old 06-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #129
cartman
Death Herald

Tennessee Tech is legit. They are one of the best hitting college teams I’ve seen of late. Longhorns have their work cut out for them trying to win two in a row.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #130
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cal State Fullerton forces a game 3 on Wash.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #131
Thomkal
Head Coach

Oregon State beat Minnesota last night to move on to Omaha.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #132
cartman
Death Herald

Longhorn won today to force the winner take all game tomorrow. Their pitching shut down Tennessee Tech today.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:31 PM   #133
Thomkal
Head Coach

South Carolina and Auburn won today to force Game 3's as well.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:31 PM   #134
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Holy shit the Huskies are headed to Omaha for the first time in program history!
Old 06-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #135
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Dola - If you missed it, you missed an all-time classic game. Washington's Joe DeMers was perfect through 6 and the Huskies had a 3-0 lead. DeMers ran out of gas though, and CSU-Fullerton rallied. He got within one strike of winning the game, but the Titans tied it and he finally was pulled. They scored another to go ahead 4-3 heading into the bottom of the 9th.

The Huskies tied it with a double and a single and had the bases juiced with two outs but couldn't close it out. CSU-Fullerton got a homer in the top of the 10th to re-take the lead, but the Huskies wouldn't quit. They got a single to open the bottom of the 10th, and then the Titans threw wildly on the bunt attempt that followed - two on, nobody out. A single then tied the game. CSU booted another one, and the bases were again loaded, this time with nobody out. A sac fly then won the game for Washington.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #136
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Holy shit the Huskies are headed to Omaha for the first time in program history!

woot!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #137
Ksyrup

I was watching that one and MSU/Vandy at the same time. Two nights in a row, two games mirroring each other by the 9th inning. I saw Washington win; I went to sleep after Vandy blew a chance to win in the bottom of the 10th. Who won that one?
Old 06-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #138
cartman
Death Herald

Yeah, the ending of the Washington-CSF game was epic
Old 06-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #139
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I was watching that one and MSU/Vandy at the same time. Two nights in a row, two games mirroring each other by the 9th inning. I saw Washington win; I went to sleep after Vandy blew a chance to win in the bottom of the 10th. Who won that one?

Miss State in the 11th 10-6.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #140
cartman
Death Herald

Longhorns win again 5-2 and move on to Omaha
Old 06-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #141
Thomkal
Head Coach

Arkansas beat South Carolina to move on to the CWS
Old 06-11-2018, 10:33 PM   #142
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Oh wow. (Florida-Auburn ending)
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #143
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

That steal of home was brilliant.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #144
cartman
Death Herald

The Longhorns season is over. They were a two and BBQ on this trip to Omaha.