Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

Fool for the City - FM 2010 expanded league dynasty

The City grounds had not changed much at all since I played here 25 years ago, in fact I think the same coat of paint adorned the walls and that dank, musty smell still permeated the air and made the locker room smell like a crypt……..

Last year when I returned to Cambridge I had no idea this is how it would end up. It was a simple ceremony to acknowledge by football accomplishments (mostly as a striker with Preston) and celebrate the fact that it all started here. A simple engraved plate, a banner hung at the grounds and a few pints with the supporters afterward. Then it would be back home to London with my baubles and an undying affection for where it started, as a member of the Cambridge City Lilywhites.

After the ceremony Chairman Kevin Satchell invited me to join him hunting in the coming spring and I gladly accepted. This trip turned into a 2 week excursion and as the days went by he opined more and more for the “glory” days of Cambridge City. In our finest hour we had actually won promotion from the now Blue Square Premier League to League 2. It was a glorious time and the most fun I had in my entire career. Now after mismanagement and the resulting financial quagmire that nearly saw the team absorbed by Cambridge United, the Lilywhites languished in the Southern Premier League, a semi-pro/amateur league not even considered a formal part of the English leagues “ladder” and in seventh spot under EPL, a long way form the top indeed.

Now Satchell had no aspirations of landing in the EPL, but he did have another goal in mind. “If only we could make it back to the Blue Square Premier League. It would solve a great many problems and give this club and its supporters what they truly deserve” he stated on the final day of my holiday. “What we need, no who we need……is an icon of the club to take the reigns and steer the Lilywhites to a glory greater than the one in which it resides now.” By the end of the day I had an offer to guide the club and the card of a housing agent as I was set to leave the glamour of London for life patrolling the pitch at City Grounds. In all it merely proved that I was indeed, in the immortal words of Foghat….”A fool for the City.”

*Note – I always enjoyed playing Cambridge City in previous versions of FM and they were always my lower league choice. Thanks to SirFozzie for the inspiration with his excellent Warwick dynasty and the 10 League pyramid mod I will now undertake the task of getting the Lilywhites back to League Football!

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
BYU 14
Coordinator

A stroll down memory lane……..

Cambridge City are a semi-professional English club currently playing in the English Southern League Premier Division. The club play their home games at The City Ground and possess basic training facilities and a very basic youth setup. The club is affectionately known as The Lilywhites.

As a club which is currently enjoying its best ever spell of success - their last competition win coming as recently as 2009 - The Lilywhites are a club with a growing history. Cambridge City finished runner-up in the English 6th tier for the only time in 2005, won the English 7th tier for the only time in 1963 and finished second once, and won the Cambridgeshire Invitation Cup on six occasions.

A rich history for the supporters perhaps, but it pales in comparison to where I think the club should be. The Southern Premier League is no longer enough, nor is playing second fiddle to Cambridge United. I plan to rectify both these injustices in my tenure.

July 6th - 2009

I am brought before the board and they lay out their expectations for the coming season.

I am expected to challenge for the Southern Premier title this season. They indicate that if I think the team can achieve greater things in the league then they are willing to back me by increasing the payroll to accommodate my aspirations. I let them know I think this goal is a good start, so we move on to financials. With that I am given a transfer budget of $0 and a payroll budget of $4.4K p/w for my current level of ambition. We are currently spending $3,862 per week on salaries. With business out of the way I am advised I will be introduced to the media tomorrow. I slip in a request for some transfer money, but am greeted with a resounding no!

Prior to being released I had former assistant Barry Green compile a report on the team for me.

He believes that Cambridge City have a squad which should be able to put in a strong challenge for the Southern Premier title. He is very pleased with the amount of depth to the squad and feels we can be confident that the players we have are capable of achieving what is required of them.

Despite possessing a strong team, Green still feels that the weakest area of our squad is up front.

Green believes I may want to consider these players as a potential solution to the problem striker area:

Lewis Field (26-year old English striker who is valued at $0)
Lawrie Dudfield (29-year old English forward who is valued at $0)
Mark Rawle (30-year old English striker who is valued at $0)

In addition to his team report, Green has instructed the coaching staff to compile comprehensive reports on each member of the squad.

Green believes that when played in his favored left-back role, James Krause is one of the best players in the team. He starts to go on about other players, but I cut him off, thank him for his work and fire him. Being an Icon is sometimes tough.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – July 7th, 2009

The Cambridge City board have announced the appointment of Anthony Crooks as the club's new head coach.

Crooks is said to be relishing the opportunity to coach at The City Ground and the Lilywhites supporters are sure to be hoping he can make a difference to their team. In his first move as Head Coach, he released the entire Cambridge City staff and this was a focus of today’s press conference held at City Grounds for the new Lilywhite boss, who appeared in an equivocal mood as he was introduce to the press.

A journalist from worldsoccer.com spoke brought the topic up with a touch of sarcasm. "You have joined Cambridge City at a time when the coaching staff appears to be a little short-staffed, is this something you will be looking to address quickly?"

Crooks' response, amid scattered laughter was, "I hadn’t noticed…….Actually I will be bringing some of my staff in over the upcoming days and I look to build a cohesive unit that shares my visions for the future."

When asked about my philosophy, I indicate I will incorporate a 4-5-1 attacking style, that I hope will provide excitement and points for the supporters.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-05-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
BYU 14
Coordinator

Meet the Lilywhites (* = Projected starter)

GK
* Zac Barrett – 21 years old, valued at $5000 and rated 5 Stars

My only current senior squad Keeper, he will be adequate for this season and I will look to add some depth through a free transfer as my youth keepers are not yet ready for first team action

Defenders
* David Theobald – 30 years old, valued at $5000 and rated 5 stars
* Lee Chaffey – 25 years old, valued at $5000 and rated 4 stars
Laurie Stewart – 22 years old, valued at $0 and rated 2.5 stars

Definitely need to add depth here as Stewart will be targeted for the reserves and I really need somebody I can groom to take over from Theobald, who is currently our best DC, but approaching the waning years of a rather inglorious career.

Fullbacks
* Matt Haniver – 27 years old, valued at $7000 and rated 4.5 stars
* James Krause - 22 years old, valued at $7000 and rated 5 stars
Craig Radcliffe – 19 years old, valued at $2000 and rated 2.5 stars

An area of strength in terms of the starters as Krause is a perfect fit for my system and should hold the left side down well. Chaffey can also play Left Defender, but is better for us in the middle. Haniver will do fine at right back and should give us 2-3 solid season before an upgrade is needed. Need help with depth here as Radcliffe, is a multi-faceted player can play up or back, he is just not that good at either. Everybody else is under the age of 17 and will remain on the youth squad.

Midfielders
* Tom Pepper – 20 years old, valued at $12000 and rated 3 stars
* Adrian Cambridge – 35 years old, valued at $2500 and rated 4.5 stars
* Stephen Smith – 22 years old, valued at $6000 and rated 5 stars

Again no depth over the age of 17 here, but what we have is fairly strong as Adrian Cambridge will be the glue in my 4-5-1 tactic. Even at 35 he will be able to play the box to box midfielder role so vital to my strategy and is good at all set pieces. Pepper is not ideal as I like the other MC to be more of a playmaker, but those are hard to come by at this level, so I will have him in a more generic role. Smith is very good DMC for this level and he has a future with the club, would like to add one more player here who can play DMC and MC.

Wingers
* Rob Nightingale – 28 years old, valued at $6000 and rated 5 stars
* Ashley Fuller – 22 years old, valued at $0 and rated 1.5 stars

Good on the right, completely lacking on the left as Fuller is a career reserve for this squad. I am looking for a good AML and can also move Radcliffe up here if I shore up the fullback spot first. Nightingale is probably one of our best players should create some chances from the right flank.

Forwards
* Neil Midgley – 30 years old, valued at $0 and rated 1 star
John Frendo – 25 years old, valued at $0 and rated 2.5 stars

Midgley fits my tactic better as he has more pace, but we obviously need an addition here as the solo striker has to be strong. There is no help on the horizon here as nobody in the youth system is ready, so we will hold down the fort with the old Cambridge veteran until a replacement is acquired off the transfer waiver.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
BYU 14
Coordinator

Our first match is a scrimmage with the reserves (youth squad) which we “win” 2-1. David Theobald scores in the 16th minute off of a corner and Adrian Cambridge nets the game winner in the 90th minute off a Neil Midgley rebound. There is a lot to shore up on this squad as we get set to start our friendlies, with the first opponent being the Glenn Hoddle academy. It is basically a club where former upper level players who just didn’t cut it go for a second chance to be seen and picked up or simply fade away. Despite being comprised of castoffs they should be much stronger than us.

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – July 12th, 2009

Lilywhites throttle Glenn Hoddle!!!

A prominent member of Cambridge City's supporters' club has urged fans and players not to get too carried away after their remarkable 3 - 1 victory over Glenn Hoddle Academy, but hopes run high nonetheless, as two goals from Neil Midgley helped propel Cambridge City in the season opening friendly.

Forward Midgley got Cambridge City off to a flying start by scoring a well executed finish in the 9th minute. An error from Tim Horn then allowed veteran midfielder Adrian Cambridge to score a placed shot, but controversy followed as the Lilywhites were denied claims by winger Rob Nightingale for a penalty.

Midgley added another with a real poacher's effort in the 40th minute. An error from Lee Chaffey allowed young forward Tom Beahon to score a header for Glenn Hoddles only tally.

Glenn Hoddle beats our possession 54% to 46%, but we place 7 shots on target compared to only 2 for the visitors. Our crossing is horrendous as the team struggles to adapt to my tactic, but we take advantage when opportunities arise and our 3-0 halftime lead is too much to overcome.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – July 14th, 2009

Cambridge City boss busy as a bee in a bonnet!

Adrian Cambridge has signaled his ambition to see out his career with Cambridge City by signing a contract until Thursday June 30th 2011.

The ex-Histon player signed for Southern Premier side Cambridge City on a free transfer in 2008.

Next, the Lilywhites announce they had secured a loan deal for Millwall's Ikenna Ofoche until the end of the season. Ofoche has recently signed a new deal with Millwall which will keep him at The Den until June 2010. The 18-year-old right winger told the Cambridge Soccer Daily that he was still learning his trade and that he felt the loan move would be a good step up from playing in the reserves.

Finally it was announced that Crooks had hired Justin Neville and Matty Casey, both 34 as scouts and added Peter Dugmore 24 as the teams Physio.

Ofoche supplies some depth at winger and can also play up front. It will also allow me to move Nightingale inside to MC on occasion, if I choose to start Ofoche on the wing.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-05-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – July 15th, 2009

Terrors strike lucky!!!! Tooting & Mitcham United 3 - 1 Cambridge City (Friendly)

Cambridge City will be wondering what might have been this morning after a close encounter with Tooting & Mitcham turned into a 3 - 1 victory for their opponents.

Young striker Fabian Batchelor got Tooting & Mitcham off to a flying start by scoring a fine header from in close in the 8th minute. An error from David Theobald allowed striker Paul Vines to score a second header from pointblank range. Ogunkoyo then scored with a freekick in the 61st minute to extend the lead further.

Young striker Kwame Atta, up from the youth squad, managed to grab the consolation for Cambridge City in the 74th minute with a real poacher's effort.

Attendance: 68

Atta is our striker in waiting and will gain some experience during friendlies while I scour the transfer wires for an immediate upgrade at the position. We looked lost at times and really put nothing together on the attack. In addition DL James Krause, who I was looking to possibly bring up to shore up the Left Fullback spot suffered a thigh strain and will be down 3-4 weeks.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – July 18th, 2009

Lilywhites defeated, Lee accepts FC United offer.

Cambridge City 0 - 1 Wrexham (Friendly)

Despite battling hard Cambridge City were unable to prevent superior Blue Square Premier side Wrexham from coming away with a 1 - 0 victory at the City Ground.

The first incident of note was on 25 minutes as Cambridge City claims for a penalty by Adrian Cambridge were brushed aside. Wrexham finally took the lead when young midfielder Nathan Fairhurst scored a cracking header from the 6 yard box in the 53rd minute.

Cambridge City must have wondered what they had to do to break down their opponents, as time and again they were met by a committed defender eager to block a shot.

Attendance: 277

In other news involving the squad, transfer target Midfielder David Lee has agreed terms with FC United. He rejected the offers from Hednesford Town, King's Lynn, Cambridge City and Tooting & Mitcham United.

Lee would have been a good signing and immediately replaced Pepper opposite Nightingale in the mid field area, shame. Our groundskeeper asks me if I wish to make any changes to the current field dimensions and I opt for the largest configuration the City Ground's facilities can accommodate at 116yds long and 78yds wide.

The width is key to my attacking style and I hope it plays to a fine advantage for us.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – July 21st, 2009

Lilywhites score a double

Anthony Crooks appeared in an equivocal mood as he met journalists to announce the signings of Marc Stevenson and Peter Trego, who were both snapped up on free transfers. Trego 28, is being brought in to back up first team Goalkeeper Zac Barrett, while Stevenson 20, adds some much needed depth to the Lilywhites back line.

The Cambridge Soccer Daily chose the main focus point for the conference with journalist Shaun Lynch asking, "Will you need to sell players in order to balance the books?"

Crooks' response was, "I wouldn't say that things are as bad as needing to sell individuals, you do know we got both men for free correct? I don’t know Lads, if any of you know how to get things cheaper than that, I’d love to have you along to the grocers with me later."

Trego will be adequate in relief of Barrett and should provide some veteran leadership as well, while Stevenson will be invaluable against teams with two forwards capable of good aerial play and he should see plenty of time in rotation.

After the presser I meet with the club's directors and Kevin Satchell informs me that, while they agree in principle to the club forming links, after an extensive search they have been unable to find a suitable candidate to form a link with as a parent club. Not the news I was hoping for as a solid League 1 or League 2 team would have been a blessing as a short term solution to any gaps that needed filling.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #10
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – July 22nd, 2009

Matlock profit from wasteful Lilywhites in friendly!!

Despite having the better of the match at Causeway Lane, Cambridge City were unable to profit as they went down to Matlock Town. The greater incisiveness of the victors resulted in a comfortable 2 - 0 scoreline against Cambridge City, who failed to turn their superior possession into goals.

Centre-back James Lukic gave Matlock the lead with a well timed close range finish in the 37th minute. Later, Liam King had no trouble in scoring from the spot when Stephen Smith gave up a penalty in the 76th minute. Striker John Frendo had a chance to score from the penalty spot for the Lilywhites in the 78th minute, but missed the attempt.

Attendance: 80

Frendo is really starting to wear on me as he simply does not fit in and I am about to transfer list him. The missed penalty, which would have put us right back in the fray was particularly galling. We have now dropped three on the bounce and I know the whispers will be starting about the failure of my high powered, attacking style if we don’t begin to ruffle the onion bag with some frequency. It is early and the team is still adapting, goals will come….I repeat this until I believe it. To further add to my misery, Peter Dugmore rings to inform me that Neil Midgley sustained a fracture in his right arm against Matlock and will miss around 4 weeks, great!
Old 12-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – July 24th, 2009

Lilywhites tabbed among favorites for promotion, Midgley down.

Nuneaton have been made 4-6 favorites to gain promotion from the English Southern League Premier Division this season.

The rest of the main contenders are priced at: 5-4 Farnborough, 7-4 Cambridge City, 7-4 Hednesford, 2-1 Leamington and 3-1 Truro.

Having priced our lads at 7-4, the bookmakers obviously believe that the Cambridge City side is one of a number of teams with a serious chance of promotion. The feeling is there is no reason to doubt the Lilywhites return to League Football if they perform as expected.

The club also announced that forward Neil Midgley could miss the start of the season after sustaining a fractured arm during the Matlock friendly. PhysioRoom.com is also reporting that the 30 year old forward, who fell awkwardly during match, faces the misery of being on the bench when Cambridge City opens against Banbury on August 15th. It is thought that Midgley will be sidelined for at least 4 weeks.

Midgley, who was born in Cambridge, has 12 months left on his contract and has recently confirmed his happiness at playing for his local club.

In response to Midgley’s injury City have signed Striker Shaun Goodhall 18 on a free transfer, while Grimsby Midfielder Drew Rhodes, a target for the Lilywhites, has rejected a loan offer that would have seen him spend the season at City Grounds.

Goodhall immediately becomes our most valued player as his worth is estimated at $60,000. He is not as pacey as I like for my tactic, but has good finishing skills, composure and a high work rate and at 4 stars the teenager is now our best forward player.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – July 25th, 2009

Heybridge Swifts 0 - 2 Cambridge City, quality of possession breaks Lilywhites cold spell in away friendly.

An efficient performance from Cambridge City earned them a 2 - 0 win over Heybridge Swifts at Scraley Road.

Young striker Shaun Goodhall gave Cambridge City the lead with an effort which hit the inside of the post before crossing the line in the 32nd minute. Veteran midfielder Adrian Cambridge completed the scoring for the Lilywhites with a well timed close range finish in the 46th minute.

Attendance: 61

After the match Cambridge City announced a new link to Bury Town, which will serve as a feeder club for the Lilywhites. Under the terms of the deal the following will apply effective immediately:

Cambridge City will be able to send players on loan to Bury Town. During the loan spell the player's salary will be paid in full by Cambridge City. Bury Town have no obligation to play the player and he may be recalled by Cambridge City at any time.

Bury Town will host an annual friendly between the two clubs with all gate receipts to be kept by Bury Town. Cambridge City will be under no obligation to field a full-strength team.

Goodhall pays dividends immediately, scoring in his debut and from his brief time with the club he has already made John Frendo expendable. I call Frendo in to my office after we arrive back at the City Grounds and let him know I will transfer list him. From his response, which includes calling me a “wanker” he is not over the moon about the news.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-06-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
BYU 14
Coordinator

It doesn’t take long for Frendo to go crying to the media; in fact he was likely on his Burner wireless the moment he left the grounds yesterday crying to the Cambridge Soccer Daily show. The resulting article does nothing to improve my desire to work something out with him; in fact he has just purchased himself a one way ticket to Bury Town.

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – July 26th, 2009

Frendo furious, Prince will pass.

The Cambridge Soccer Daily is today reporting that Cambridge City striker John Frendo feels he has been treated unfairly and could be looking to leave The City Ground. Frendo has gone on record stating boss Anthony Crooks is set to transfer list as he does not feel the striker fits into the clubs long term plans. Frendo feels he has not been given a fair shake and he does not feel inclined to stay with the proverbial deck stacked against him.

The troubles enticing new blood to the City Grounds continue as Luke Prince has agreed terms with Rushden. The 28 year old Winger who can play both sides of the pitch was a priority, but did not feel a spell in Cambridge City would further his career. He also rejected from Aldershot Town and Kettering Town.

Losing Luke Prince hurt, as he is a very versatile four star winger, so the quest to shore up the attack from the port side continues. I am also beginning to get quite annoyed with the Town Criers snarky headlines.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #14
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – July 27th, 2009

Dominant win for Lilywhites!!

In what had been billed as a close encounter, Blue Square Premier side Harrogate Town were trounced 4 - 0 by Cambridge City in a friendly at The City Ground. Two goals from Tom Pepper helped Cambridge City to victory.

Winger Rob Nightingale got Cambridge City off to a flying start by scoring a well placed shot in the 3rd minute. Young striker Shaun Goodhall doubled City’s lead with a scorcher from close range in the 34th minute. Pepper’s first tally resulted from an error in the box by Michael Wood and the Lilywhite Midfielder drove the dagger home.

There are no prizes for guessing who completed the rout in the 60th minute as that man Pepper popped up again with a curling shot from the edge of the area. Pepper then saw a penalty beat the keeper but hit the post at the 74 minute mark, missing out on the Hattie.

Attendance: 88

The slight attendance shows how much the faith of the supporters has slipped, but those that showed up saw a stellar effort. Pepper is not a scorer by any means, but today he was in the zone and could have threaded a pebble through the eye of a needle from range. I grab him coming off the pitch and make sure he knows how impressed I am with his performance.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

The day after our decisive victory over Harrogate I meet with some of the staff.

First up, Peter Dugmore reports that there are still a few injury problems persisting within the squad.

James Krause (thigh strain) is close to a return to full fitness and should soon be available for selection.

Neil Midgley (fractured arm) is still a couple of weeks away from returning to full training and the English Southern League Premier Division match against Leamington on Tuesday August 18th could be considered a realistic target for a possible return.

Good news overall, made easier to take by the performance of Shaun Goodhall in his first two outings.

Next Scout Justin Neville hands me a report on his ongoing talent search of England with some names to consider. Though Neville has no high recommendations, some of the better players found were:

Quote:
Cambridge City FC

Memo from Justin Neville

Regards: Scouting progress

- Rob Miller (Bedford Town's 29-year old English defender/wing back, midfielder who is valued at $4K)
- Mike Garrity (29-year old English midfielder who is valued at $0)
- Tony Hackworth (Whitby's 29-year old English attacking midfielder, forward who is valued at $2K)
- Jermaine Clarke (Evesham's 25-year old English striker who is valued at $2.5K)
- Scott Walker (Truro's 29-year old English attacking midfielder who is valued at $1K)
- Simon Carden (FC United's 30-year old English attacking midfielder who is valued at $1K)
- Carl Furlong (32-year old English striker who is valued at $0)
- Alex Francis-Greer (20-year old English striker who is valued at $0)
- Lewis Cracknell (19-year old English defensive midfielder, midfielder who is valued at $0)
- Michael Grimoldby (19-year old English defender, striker who is valued at $0)

None of these names jump out at me and I file the report away, to be used only in case of emergency.

The afternoon concludes with a call from AMR Jamie Eames, who lets me know has agrees to join Bury Town on loan until the end of the season. Eames signed for us in 2008, but the right flank is in good hands with Rob Nightingale in the first team and Millwall loan Ikenna Ofoche in reserve.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:50 AM   #16
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – July 28th, 2009

Cambridge City 0 - 1 Cambridge United - U's win unconvincingly

In a surprisingly close encounter at The City Ground, Cambridge United managed to sneak a narrow 1 - 0 victory over Cambridge City in a cross town friendly.

An error from Tom Pepper allowed striker Lee Phillips to score a smart diving header.

Cambridge City had a number of attempts at goal, but their profligacy meant they were unable to take advantage of the opportunities.

Attendance: 725

A narrow loss to our hated cross town rivals, which brings our largest crowd to date out. Even though we are limited to friendlies against United since they are in Blue Square Premier, the match still inspires strong feelings. If we can get back to BSP things will get interesting when we play United.

I gather the boys after the hard fought game to announce the collective squad win bonus for this season's Southern Premier and other competitions.

I advise the players they will be paid a total of $16K to be shared among the squad on a pro-rata basis if the club can win the league.

For winning a domestic cup competition, the players would receive a total of $25K to be shared among the squad, which is an increase over the normal amount. Hopefully this carrot will get us a couple of wins and the needed payouts that come with them.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #17
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Go Whites!

I did a dynasty with them a couple years ago...interesting to see that a few of their players still remain with the club (Radcliffe, Midge, Fuller, among others).
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #18
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Go Whites!

I did a dynasty with them a couple years ago...interesting to see that a few of their players still remain with the club (Radcliffe, Midge, Fuller, among others).

Midge jumped out at me right away, seems like he has been there forever. If only Michael Gash was still there too, the Gasher was aways one of my favorites.

I have to say the Mod opening all English leagues down to the 10th level is the greatest add-on ever for FM.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #19
Samdari
Roster Filler

So, I am curious, if you start a team as amateur, and then move up in levels, does the team eventually become semi-pro/pro?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #20
BYU 14
Coordinator

Newcastle's Shane Ferguson has agreed to join Kidderminster on loan and called to let me know he was rejecting our opportunity. I can’t beg, borrow or steal a friggin attacking left Midfielder!!! I want to find somebody, anybody before League play starts.

While I am in the mood to open the checkbook I offer a couple of City players whose contracts are coming up for expiration new deals. Keeper Zac Barrett signs on with a deal for $170.00 a week, which will keep him at the club until Thursday June 30th 2011.

Left-back James Krause rejects his extension record however, as he feels the base wage is unacceptable. I have no patience to negotiate now, so I will put him off until his current deal gets closer to expiring.

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – July 31st, 2009

Lilywhites lacking in 2-0 home defeat to Boston United

Despite having the better of the match at The City Ground, Cambridge City were unable to profit as they went down to Boston United in a friendly. The greater incisiveness of the victors resulted in a comfortable 2 - 0 scoreline, as City failed to turn their superior possession into goals.

Things did not get off to a good start for Cambridge City as Boston Utd's Lee Canoville scored from the spot after Lee Chaffey had given away a penalty. Striker Danny Davidson completed the scoring for Boston Utd with a powerful effort in the 41st minute past Keeper Zac Barrett.

Attendance: 95

Dismal performance, crappy attendance, lousy weather and the inability to finish a wet dream best describes this one. 54 to 46 possession advantage and superiority in nearly every statistical category means nothing. This was our last friendly and we open up the season against Banbury in two weeks. I will use the time to work on fundamentals and polishing our attack to hopefully gain some consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
So, I am curious, if you start a team as amateur, and then move up in levels, does the team eventually become semi-pro/pro?

Great question, I would think so since you would be earning money as you went up, so part time contracts should become available at the SPL, IPL and NPL levels at least. Cambridge City is already considered Semi-Pro still and I have 3 players now under full time contracts, so it would make sense that you can eventually become a full fledged professional side if you make enough money and improve your facilities to an acceptable level to meet the FA requirements.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #21
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yup

depends on your financial standings as well as your levle.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #22
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(for example, I had to get a team to conference premier and get all the players and staff on Full time contracts, and eventually we did get graded Professional.)
Old 12-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #23
BYU 14
Coordinator

I arrive for work on August 1st with the upcoming months schedule on my desk, as well as other dates of interest. Sean Osborne is a helluva secretary, but leaves much to be desired in the looks department.

Quote:
Cambridge City FC

From the Desk of Sean Osborne:

Important dates in the month ahead:

8.1.2009 - English FA Cup First Qualifying Round Draw
8.12.2009 - Holland v England (Friendly)
8.15.2009 - English FA Cup First Qualifying Round
8.15.2009 - Oxford City Under 18s v Cambridge City Under 18s
8.15.2009 - Cambridge City v Banbury (Southern Premier)
8.16.2009 - English FA Cup Second Qualifying Round Draw
8.18.2009 - Leamington v Cambridge City (Southern Premier)
8.19.2009 - Cambridge City Under 18s v Shrewsbury Under 18s (Under 18s Cup)
8.22.2009 - Cambridge City Under 18s v Banbury Under 18s
8.22.2009 - Cambridge City v Clevedon (Southern Premier)
8.23.2009 - Under 18s Cup Second Round Draw
8.26.2009 - Nuneaton v Cambridge City (Southern Premier)
8.29.2009 - English FA Cup Second Qualifying Round
8.29.2009 - Bedford Town Under 18s v Cambridge City Under 18s
8.29.2009 - Cambridge City v Chippenham (Southern Premier)
8.30.2009 - English FA Cup Third Qualifying Round Draw

I also catch a snippet from the National Football Digest as it appears my dream job (Hotspur) has made quite the splash in the transfer market.

Quote:
National Football Digest – August 1st, 2009

Spurs strike gold!!!

The $62,000,000 transfer of Luka Modric from Tottenham to Inter-Milan is a new record sale, shattering the previous record of $51,000,000 when they sold Dimitar Berbatov to Man Utd. Tottenham used the shifty playmaker to some success, but now feels their midfield is adequate without the talented Modric orchestrating the attack.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #24
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Nice read so far, keep it up.

BTW, your Dynasty's always force me to buy the software if I don't have. Luckily, I bought FM 10 when it was released.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #25
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – August 3rd, 2009

Lilywhites name Captains, add O’Connor

Cambridge City Boss Anthony Crooks has named Adrian Cambridge as captain and appointed James Krause as vice-captain. Crooks indicated he has been delighted with Cambridge’s leadership on and off the pitch.

Ipswich youngster Shane O'Connor has said that he is delighted that Cambridge City has given him the opportunity to gain some first team experience after being acquired on loan from Championship side Ipswich. The 19-year-old left-back told the Cambridge Soccer Daily that he was still learning his trade and that he felt the loan move would be a good step up from playing in the reserves.

City Physio Peter Dugmore confirmed today that goalkeeper Peter Trego has sustained a sprained ankle after a heavy fall during a training session, which will keep him out of action for up to 7 weeks. Dugmore also told the Crier that Left Back James Krause has resumed full training and should be back for the first league fixture. Neil Midgley is now officially out for the opener, with the August 22nd date against Clevedon set as his likely return.

Cambridge was the logical choice for captain and he is solid in all aspects of the game (for this level) and is a positive influence. I do worry about his endurance and have a feeling he will only be good for 60-75 minutes per game. On the advice of Sean Osborne I ask Rob Nightingale to look to run with the ball down the right wing as often as possible. We believe Nightingale can do some real damage down that side of the pitch with the attributes he has in his game, plus were are really lacking in creating chances from the wings right now, which is the whole purpose of my tactic.

O’Connor is a solid pick up, 19 years old, valued at $7000 and rated 5 stars on the SPL level, which I think might be a bit high. Still he can play every position on the left side and I will look to ease him in as he gains familiarity with my style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Nice read so far, keep it up.

BTW, your Dynasty's always force me to buy the software if I don't have. Luckily, I bought FM 10 when it was released.

LOL, thanks Dennis, You have to download the expanded league mod if you haven't already. It really increases the enjoyment of an already great game.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #26
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – August 12th, 2009

Southern Premier League gets underway!!

The season is upon us as last as the SPL opened play with three matches played. With a total of 3 goals scored, the best viewing was to be found at Cherrywood Road where a crowd of 962 witnessed Farnborough's 2 - 1 victory over Halesowen. The highlight of that match was Farnborough's Jacob Walcott scoring in his debut.

A total of 1268 supporters were out in force around the English Southern League Premier Division as our very own Lilywhites prepare to start their campaign in three days against Banbury. Ahead of the opener the Cambridge City board has announced the final Lilywhites season ticket sales at 70.

Thee days to go and I don't have all the pieces I would like, but I still think we will be among the top sides in the SPL.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #27
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – August 15th, 2009

Lilywhites best Banbury, get season off on a flyer

Cambridge City taught Banbury United a lesson at The City Ground this afternoon.

The first incident of note was on 28 minutes as Cambridge City was denied a penalty on Craig Radcliffe after a stiff collision in the box. With the game nearing an end, it was Midfielder Stephen Smith who scored a screamer from the edge of the area to give Cambridge City the win in the 86th minute.

The match was remarkable for the number of fouls committed by Cambridge City, who seemed more concerned with disrupting the flow of the game than playing it. Smith earned the man of the match award as the 22 year-old central midfielder took his goal well for Cambridge City and generally looked lively throughout.

Supporter spokesperson David Clayton feels the fans are pleased with City's victory over Banbury and believes they were pleased with the way in which the team restricted the opposition's chances.

Attendance: 372

In the post match press conference the Banbury Soccer Gazette chose the main focus point for the conference with journalist Ryan Hall asking me, "Marc Stevenson was pretty solid on his debut today. How do you think it went?" I indicated that Stevenson had a good debut and I was pleased with what I saw."

I was not impressed with the amount of chances we created however, considering we had a near 20 minute advantage in possession. Defensively we were solid, allowing only 2 shots and holding Banbury to 0% on crosses with stellar play in the box.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #28
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
National Football Digest – August 17th, 2009

FA Cup underway

Soccer enthusiasts looking to the English FA Cup First Qualifying Round for potential upsets were left empty-handed as there were none to be found on this particular day. With 202 matches played and 327 goals scored, the best viewing was to be found at Rowley Park where a crowd of 338 witnessed St. Neots' 3 - 1 victory over Thame.

Elsewhere, Coventry Sphinx's 2 - 0 victory over Pagham proved to be a fiery affair and Shane Daly scored the pick of the goals in Pickering's 2 - 0 victory over Boldmere with a well timed close range finish.

In other action the Histon Reserves overcame Dereham, while West Midlands League Premier outfit Bustleholme are also through to the second qualifying round after eliminating Camberley Town at Tipton Sports Academy. Elmore, St. Blazey, Atherton Collieries and Oakwood also recorded opening round wins.

A total of 44494 supporters were out in force around the English FA Cup.

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – August 17th, 2009

Southern Premier League roundup

The remaining English Southern League Premier Division sides kicked off their new season today with a total of 2642 spectators turning out around the division. With sixteen teams in action and 14 goals scored, the best viewing was to be found at Butlin Road where a crowd of 398 witnessed Rugby's 2 - 0 victory over Leamington. The highlight of that match was Rugby's Richard Giddings scoring in his debut.

Jack Randall scored a placed shot from close range during Oxford City's 1 - 1 draw with Nuneaton and 389 watched Merthyr's convincing 3 - 0 victory over Evesham where Tom Harris scored the best of the goals with a close range header.

Anthony Crooks is feeling the confidence flowing at City grounds after the Lilywhites Season opening win over Banbury and feels the club will continue to play at a high level as they prepare to take on Leamington at New Windmill Ground.

In other club news the Cambridge City Boss has sent disgruntled Striker John Frendo to Bury Town on loan until the end of the season, along with Central Defender Laurie Stewart. Frendo has reportedly been far from happy at The City Ground is said to be considering the options available to him.

Frendo had to go as he was going to be nothing but a cancer and he will play out his contract on loan if I can’t unload him. Stewart needs first team work and he was not going to get it with us, plus with our “reserve squad” pretty much non-existent it will be his only opportunity to get any playing time.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #29
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – August 18th, 2009

Leamington leveled - Nightingale shines in away romp.

A display of attacking soccer saw Rob Nightingale pick up the man of the match award during Cambridge City's 2 - 0 English Southern League Premier Division victory over Leamington this evening. Nightingale's pace and skill on the ball was a constant threat to the Leamington defense and culminated in the right winger netting the game clinching goal.

Experienced Leamington centre-back Danny Rofe was left red-faced in the 16th minute as he managed to put the ball into his own net, before Nightingale completed the scoring for Cambridge City in the 50th minute, with a wonderfully crafted move from the edge of the box.

Attendance: 409

Quote:
SPL Football Weekly – August 21st, 2009

Southern Premier League roundup

With eighteen teams in action and 14 goals scored, the best viewing was to be found at The New Eyrie where a crowd of 400 witnessed Bedford Town's 1 - 1 draw with Brackley. The highlight of that match was Bedford Town's Sean Seavill scoring in his debut.

Elsewhere, two goals from Gary Holloway inspired a win for the away team during Didcot's 1 - 2 defeat against Farnborough and David Kolodynski scored the best of the goals in Clevedon's 1 - 2 defeat against Rugby with a powerful effort.

A total of 2794 supporters were out in force around the English Southern League Premier Division.

The board notifies me that we could see their largest ever attendance on Saturday with supporters expected to pack The City Ground to see us take on Clevedon Town in a Southern League Premier Division match, with over 300 tickets expected to be sold in advance of the kickoff. They seem pleased enough by this and express their delight in our run from the gate. Of course, in true doughty british style, they offer some backhanded "encouragement" to keep our form high......Tea is then served.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #30
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – August 22nd, 2009

Clevedon Town “Peppered” as City takes third straight!

Cambridge City took Clevedon Town to task at The City Ground this afternoon with the task master being young midfielder Tom Pepper, who gave Cambridge City all they needed with a curling shot from the edge of the area in the 21st minute.

Cambridge City had a number of attempts at goal but they were unable to capitalize on some certain opportunities, which is sure to bite back at some point.

In netting the only goal of the game to round off a solid performance, Pepper captured the man of the match and looked in sharp in all phases, in what was a very promising performance for the youngster.

Cambridge City have now notched three straight wins and the promotion contenders lie in 1st place in the English Southern League Premier Division, despite the fumbled opportunities.

Attendance: 392

Around the Southern Premier there were eleven matches played and 18 goals scored, the best viewing was said to be found at Court Place Farm where a crowd of 259 witnessed Oxford City's 2 - 2 draw with Bedford Town. The highlight of that match was Tony Battersby scoring his first ever goal for Bedford.

In other action, two goals from Mark Draycott inspired a win for the away team during Banbury's heavy 0 - 3 defeat against Didcot and Danny Slatter scored the best of the goals in Hednesford's 1 - 1 draw with Farnborough.

A total of 3006 supporters were out in force around the English Southern League Premier Division.

What the hell? We are top of the table and the bastard that writes for the Cambridge Town Crier still manages to shank me with two backhanded jabs over our lack of scoring? I call up and remind him that when the other team fails to score you don’t need a bloody bushel of goals and maybe he should quit kissing Bedford Towns arse for their titillating matches and acknowledge our lads for their stoutness along the back! I make a note to include some type of laxative in the clubhouse spread next time the Crier comes to cover us.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-09-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #31
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

hehe
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #32
BYU 14
Coordinator

Heading into our August 26th match away to Nuneaton Town I am informed by the same prick that insulted our 3-0 no goal scoring squad that Nuneaton skipper Kevin Wilkin has thrown down the gauntlet in the buildup to our match by telling SPL Football Weekly that his Nuneaton team are very confident of beating us. I reply “I would hope he is, but the fact is we are playing at a high level right now and I think we will be fine. Perhaps Wilkin should worry about shutting down that potent attack of ours you like so well?”

Of course that gets twisted into me saying that we will run all over Nuneaton (amazing how news travels) and Wilkin releases a statement saying he was no time to involve himself on such pointless verbal sparring and we will settle it on the pitch. Again my home town paper pins a kick me sign on my back….

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – August 26th, 2009

Cambridge shines, but it is only Adrian in Lilywhite draw.

A man of the match performance from Adrian Cambridge was not enough to secure a win during Cambridge City's English Southern League Premier Division 1 - 1 draw with Nuneaton this evening. Cambridge put in an impressive performance for City and his goal was the only icing on a barren cake.

After the match at Liberty Way, a key member of Nuneaton Town claimed that his team was fortunate to escape from this with a draw and this writer must agree after City again failed to convert some good chances. Striker Chris Dillon gave Nuneaton the lead with a fine header from pointblank range in the 29th minute, but Captain Adrian Cambridge equalized for City after 59 minutes with a placed shot from close range.

Despite the vile taste of a draw Lilywhite supporter spokesperson David Clayton feels the fans are pleased with the result.

Attendance: 584

I really hate the Cambridge Town Crier! I am actually happy considering Nuneaton were the pre-season favorites to win the league. Despite the fact that they came into the match in 7th place, there is obviously much Football to play and to get the draw on their home turf is an acceptable result.

Quote:
SPL Football Weekly – August 27th, 2009

Circling the Pitch

With nine matches played and 17 goals scored, the match of the day saw a crowd of 243 witness Halesowen's 2 - 4 defeat against Merthyr. The highlight of that match was Sean Rigg scoring his first ever goal for Merthyr.

Around the loop, Adrian Cambridge scored a placed shot from close range during Nuneaton's 1 - 1 draw with Cambridge City and 236 watched Didcot's convincing 3 - 0 victory over Hednesford where Michael Bartley scored the best of the goals with a close range effort.

A total of 3220 supporters were out in force around the English Southern League Premier Division and Steve Riley's appearance at the age of 43 and 174 days for Bashley away at Clevedon is a new record. The previous oldest player was Scott Hiley, who appeared at the age of 40 and 329 days for Tiverton Town against Merthyr.

FA Cup action

With three matches played and 7 goals scored, our game of the day was to be found at Beeches View where a crowd of 244 witnessed Cradley's 2 - 1 victory over Ely.

A mention in SPL Weekly is nice and they treat us better than our home town paper to boot! We get drawn for our first FA Cup match on the 29th and I am really looking forward to my first Cup game as a Head Coach. There is no finer competition in the world and I am hopeful we can carry on for a few rounds.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-09-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #33
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – August 29th, 2009

Chippenham falls on the sword!

Cambridge City gave Chippenham Town the boot at The City Ground this afternoon taking a 2-1 win to send the home supporters off beaming.

Cambridge City took the lead when young striker Shaun Goodhall scored a good header from just inside the six yard box in the 46th minute. Chippenham's equalizer came through Scott Lye as he seized on David Theobald's mistake to score a powerful penalty. Controversy followed as Chippenham Midfielder Ben Thomson pleaded for a penalty to no avail.

The last goal of the game came from Chippenham striker Luke Gullick whose 90th minute own-goal off a corner gave City the win and will undoubtedly cause him some embarrassment.

Rob Nightingale played well for City afternoon, in earning man of the match honors. Nightingale's silky running and passing ability was a constant problem for Chippenham Town as he tormented their defense time and time again.

Attendance: 349

A nail biter decided in a fierce scrum after a corner that saw the own goal go in as Gullick tried to clear a bouncing ball over the post. In truth justice was served as Chippenham had no clear chances outside of the penalty. Again we get some love in SPL Football weekly and even The Crier is kind to us, outside of the sarcastic headline. September is around the bend and we will be extremely busy with Cup matches as the FA Cup and FA trophy get underway for us, in addition to the Southern Leagues Cup and Cambridgeshire invitational Cup.

Quote:
SPL Football Weekly – August 29th, 2009

With eight matches played and 14 goals scored, the media pick for match of the day occurred at Bashley Road Ground where a crowd of 95 witnessed an upset during Bashley's 1 - 0 victory over Nuneaton. The highlight was a landmark goal for Bashley's Justin Keeler.

Elsewhere, two goals from Alan Griffin inspired a win for the home team during Swindons 3 - 1 victory over Halesowen and Shaun Goodhall scored the best of the goals in Cambridge C's 2 - 1 victory over Chippenham with a good header from just inside the six yard box.

A total of 1671 supporters were out in force around the English Southern League Premier Division.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #34
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – August 30th, 2009

City away in FA Cup third qualifying round

The Lilywhites will travel to play either Uxbridge or Horsham YMCA English FA Cup Third Qualifying Round in what can be described as a favorable draw, regardless of which squad wins their upcoming replay. The match will take place on September 13th.

It was also announced that the Truro vs Cambridge City English Southern League Premier Division match has been rearranged for Wednesday October 7th 2009 due to a scheduling conflict with the Truro vs Marine FA Cup match on Saturday September 12th 2009.

Nightingale grabs honors

Following a stellar match against Chippenham Rob Nightingale was selected in the Southern Premier Team of the Week first eleven, which brought the right winger praise and likely a pint or two from the City rooters.

The Cup craziness starts in two weeks and we will really need to avoid any replays early on or we will be running on fumes by the time November comes, or worse yet I will have to recall that prick John Frendo from Bury
Old 12-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #35
BYU 14
Coordinator

Monthly Staff Meeting - September 2009

September is upon is and I have to say I am quite pleased as everyone files into my cramped office to go over the coming months events. First up is Sean Osborne who passes out a calendar for the next 30 days.

Quote:
Cambridge City FC

From the Desk of Sean Osborne

9.2.2009 - Bedford Town under 18s v Cambridge City under 18s
9.3.2009 - Bedford Town v Cambridge City (Southern Premier)
9.5.2009 - Cambridge City under 18s v Hitchin Under 18s
9.5.2009 - England v Slovenia (Friendly)
9.7.2009 - England under 19s v Croatia under 19s (U19 International)
9.8.2009 - English Southern League Cup Qualifying Round Draw
9.8.2009 - England under 21s v Slovakia under 21s (Euro U21 Qualifiers)
9.9.2009 - England v Croatia (World Cup Qualifier - Europe)
9.12.2009 - English FA Cup Third Qualifying Round
9.12.2009 - Redditch under 18s v Cambridge City under 18s
9.13.2009 - English FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round Draw
9.16.2009 - Cambridge City v Tiverton (Southern Premier)
9.19.2009 - English FA Trophy First Qualifying Round Draw
9.19.2009 - Cambridge City under 18s v Brackley under 18s
9.19.2009 - Cambridge City v Evesham (Southern Premier)
9.22.2009 - English Southern League Cup Qualifying Round
9.23.2009 - English Southern League Cup First Round Draw
9.24.2009 - Halesowen v Cambridge City (Southern Premier)
9.26.2009 - English FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round
9.26.2009 - Braintree under 18s v Cambridge City under 18s
9.26.2009 - England under 20s v Ghana under 20s (U20 World Cup)
9.27.2009 - English FA Cup First Round Draw
9.29.2009 - Cambridgeshire County FA Invitation Cup First Round Draw
9.29.2009 - Uzbekistan under 20s v England under 20s (U20 World Cup)

After the schedule is discussed and we talk about ways to keep the fatigue level down, Osborne goes over his training observations. He thinks things have gone well for the most part, but says Adrian Cambridge has failed to impress in training during the past month on Set Pieces. This is worrisome, since he takes all our set pieces and we haven’t scored cleanly yet on a corner this season, but he is the best we have. He does provide great leadership on the pitch as well, so I can give him a flyer on the lack of production from corners and free kicks so far.

Osborne concludes by asking if I had read the morning Paper yet and when I indicate I had not, he promptly distributes a copy to everyone in the room and then produces a certificate received in overnight postal from the Southern Premier League offices.

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – September 1st, 2009

Crooks gets award for top boss

The award for August Manager of the month went to the Lilywhites boss after he led his team to four league victories in five games.

(SLP) Cambridge City 1 - 0 Banbury (Aug 15th)
(SLP) Cambridge City 2 - 0 Leamington (Aug 18th)
(SLP) Cambridge City 1 - 0 Clevedon (Aug 22nd)
(SLP) Cambridge City 1 - 1 Nuneaton (Aug 26th)
(SLP) Cambridge City 2 - 1 Chippenham (Aug 29th)

There was nothing to choose between the top three and the award could easily have gone to either Truro's Sean McCarthy or Mark Collier from Swindon Supermarine, who came second and third respectively.

As the room breaks into a chorus of hip-hip hooray, I smile at the fact that Crier sports editor Vivian Winters has once again found a way to get in a dig while reporting something positive. I wonder if he had a pal that was passed over for the City job or is just a miserable prick with a pen.

I thank the staff and assure them the award is as much theirs as mine, which I am completely sincere about. They then announce pints are on me later and before I can protest Peter Dugmore stands up to go over the Physio report.

He indicates that the squad is close to a clean bill of health.

Peter Trego (sprained ankle) is still a couple of weeks away from returning to full training and the English Southern League Premier Division match against Evesham on Saturday September 19th could be considered a realistic target for a possible return.

We have also received an injury update on Laurie Stewart (on loan to Bury) who is currently down with a virus.

Chairman Kevin Satchell dismisses the coaches and goes over the board summary with me. “We are all quite satisfied with your coaching of the team.” He advises.

“Your capture of Marc Stevenson, who the fans believe to be a very good signing, has been particularly pleasing.”

Finances

The club recorded a loss of $28.68K last month.
Monthly Turnover: $23.43K
Previous Month: $27.56K
Main Income: Gate Receipts $16.23K
Monthly Expenditure: $52.12K
Previous Month: $74.05K
Main Expenditure: Player Salaries - $24.32K

He doesn’t have to say it, I know we need to do well in Cup competitions to add some positive cash flow, but of course he says it anyway. He then lets me know we have drawn Horsham YMCA in the FA Cup third qualifying round, to be played at Gorings Mead on Sunday September 13th 2009. I feel confident we can dispatch a YMCA side; I just wish it was at home.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-13-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:41 AM   #36
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – September 2nd, 2009

Barbs for Bedford Town

Anthony Crooks appeared taciturn as he met journalists ahead of Cambridge City's match against Bedford Town in the English Southern League Premier Division.

The Cambridge Soccer Daily chose the main focus point for the conference with journalist Shaun Lynch asking, "Jeromy Noslin has been pinpointed as a possible threat to the Cambridge City defense in the upcoming match. Do you agree with that assessment?"

Crooks' response was, "I wouldn't focus on just one player."

Now to this humble reporter it seems likely that Jeromy Noslin may be unhappy about Crooks' negative words, which may spell doom for our lads.

Crooks then went on to address the recent performances by Cambridge City’s young midfielder Tom Pepper and Right Back Matt Haniver and indicated he found both players to be performing at an acceptable level, which should make them happy enough.

Both Pepper and Haniver have told me they are quite pleased with their recent play and were really enjoying the teams run at the moment. Matt Haniver went on to add that he felt he was on top of his game at the moment and was looking forward to every match with great anticipation.

FA Cup action

With 114 teams in action and 105 goals scored, the best viewing was to be found at Hamlet Croft where a crowd of 333 witnessed Haverhill's 3 - 4 penalty loss against Harlow. A major talking point from the game had to be a red card for Harlow's Tony Willcock.

Elsewhere, Adam Hirst scored a header during Wick's 4 - 2 penalty win over Newcastle Town and 324 watched Maltby Main's convincing 5 - 2 victory over Bedworth where Harry Ormerod scored the best of the goals with a real poacher's effort.

A total of 12520 supporters were out in force around the English FA Cup.

Rummaging around my desk I find the number to Winter’s Burner wireless and text him a short message, inviting him to comfort Jeromy Noslin’s bruised ego with a gentle message of a forbidden region, which I am sure can only bring me loads of positive press in the Town Crier in the future.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #37
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – September 3rd, 2009

Feet of fury - Bedford Town 1 - 3 Cambridge City (Southern Premier)

An efficient performance from Cambridge City earned them a 3 - 1 win over Bedford Town at The New Eyrie. Two goals from Shaun Goodhall helped City to victory.

Cambridge City captain Adrian Cambridge gave the Lilywhites the lead with a good header from just inside the six yard box in the 13th minute. Full-back Nicky Hill then summed up his team's performance by nearly gifting Cambridge City another goal in the 49th minute.

Young striker Shaun Goodhall doubled Cambridge City's lead with a close range effort in the 52nd minute, and then added another with a fine header from pointblank range in the 65th minute.

Andrew Phillips pulled one back for Bedford Town after 90 minutes with a close range header of his own.

Goodhall named man of the match for his two goal explosion; whish has been long awaited since his acquisition. Cambridge City has now extended their unbeaten record in the Southern Premier to six games.

Attendance: 359

After the match this journalist had the pleasure of choosing the main focal point of the presser as I asked Crooks, "Shaun Goodhall picked up the man of match award for your team today. What did you think of his performance?"

Crooks' response was, "Shaun was absolutely outstanding today." Which I am sure will buoy the spirits of the newly arrived youngster.

Well gee Vivian, glad I could be such a positive influence…
Old 12-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #38
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
SPL Football Weekly – September 9th, 2009

With twenty teams in action and 22 goals scored, focus must go to Cherrywood Road where a crowd of 849 witnessed Farnborough's 3 - 2 victory over Swindon Supermarine, with the highlight being a landmark goal for Swindon Subs' Nick Stanley.

In other action, Nathan Winder scored a well timed close range finish during Halesowen's 2 - 2 draw with Brackley and 359 watched Bedford Town's 1 - 3 defeat against Cambridge City where Andrew Phillips scored the best of the goals with a close range header.

A total of 3636 supporters were out in force around the English Southern League Premier Division.

Nice to see us now getting regular mention in the SPL weekly newsletter for out play. This will hopefully help boost our road gate as opposition fans look to see their side be the first to knock us off our unbeaten run this campaign.

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – September 9th, 2009

City makes presence know on SPL best Eleven!

Keeper Zac Barrett, Midfielder Adrian Cambridge and Striker Shaun Goodhall were all selected in the Southern Premier Team of the Week first eleven.

All was not roses for City however as Peter Trego injured his wrist lifting weights in his first day back in full training and could now miss yet another two weeks according to City Physio Peter Dugmore.

WTF??? His first day back in the gym and he goes down again. Good thing Barrett is playing well and staying healthy because we are basically playing without a first team back up keeper as Calamity Pete can’t seem to stay out of the infirmary. It can’t be a cute Nurse; since we don’t have one and he bloody well sure better not have a crush on Peter Dugmore.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #39
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
National Football Digest – September 13th, 2009

FA Cup round up.

Soccer enthusiasts looking to the English FA Cup Third Qualifying Round for potential upsets were left empty-handed as there were none to be found on this particular day. Ashton United overcame Histon Reserves in a result which reflected the general theme of the round.

Oxhey Jets also advance to the Fourth Qualifying Round as they stunned Northern Premier side Boston United at The Boundary Stadium.

Elsewhere, there were wins for Wellingborough Town, Launceston AFC, Runcorn Linnets and Eastbourne United Association.

With 218 teams in action and 185 goals scored, some quality matches could be found, including Dartford's 2 - 3 defeat against Kendal, witnessed by 1305 fans. The highlight of that match was Alex O'Brien scoring his first ever goal for Dartford.

In other action 326 watched Wellingborough's 2 - 1 victory over Merthyr, where Tom Harris scored the best of the goals with a long range effort.

A total of 30625 supporters were out in force around the English FA Cup.

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – September 13th, 2009

Horsham YMCA stalemates Lilywhites

After a 0 - 0 draw at Gorings Mead against Cambridge City, a key member of Horsham YMCA claimed that his team were fortunate to escape from this English FA Cup Third Qualifying Round game with a draw.

The main incident of note came 72 minutes in as Cambridge City’s Neil Midgley was denied what many thought was a sure penalty.

Cambridge City had a number of attempts at goal but produced very few clear cut chances in the scoreless draw, which will prompt a replay at City Grounds in three days. City will need to take the replay to achieve their minimum aim of reaching the Second Round of the FA Cup. The winner of the replay will take on Nantwich in the next round.

Attendance: 176

The Halesowen vs Cambridge City English Southern League Premier Division match has been rearranged for Wednesday September 23rd 2009 due to a scheduling conflict with the AFC Telford vs Halesowen FA Cup match on Saturday September 26th 2009, while the Cambridge City vs Tiverton English Southern League Premier Division match has been rearranged for Wednesday November 11th 2009 due to a scheduling conflict with the Cambridge C vs Horsham YMCA FA Cup match on Wednesday September 16th 2009.

Ouch, a draw against a YMCA side!!! Even worse it condenses our already tight schedule, forcing our match with Tiverton to be moved up three days. We will be playing 2 games a week almost continually well into October. I really need to find some depth.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #40
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – September 16th, 2009

City bounce Horsham YMCA from FA Cup

An efficient performance from Cambridge City earned them a 2 - 0 win over Horsham YMCA at The City Ground.

Young winger Craig Radcliffe picked up the man of the match award and got City off to a flying start by scoring a well timed close range finish in the 10th minute. Lilywhite Captain Adrian Cambridge finally rounded off their victory in the 58th minute with a powerful header. Radcliffe is on the transfer list at Cambridge City but has expressed his desire to stay at The City Ground.

Attendance: 460

While speaking to the Cambridge Town Crier after the match, City boss Anthony Crooks has spoken of how pleased he is with central midfielder Adrian Cambridge's recent play. Crooks followed this up by indicating that he expected Cambridge to maintain his good play.

We are awarded $4,900 for winning against Horsham YMCA in the English FA Cup, though I wish we didn’t need a replay to do it as we are dragging ass. Nantwich is next up and they should provide a stern test for us, especially with our brutal schedule.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #41
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – September 19th, 2009

City squeaks by Evesham United in home thriller

Cambridge City edged Evesham United a lesson at The City Ground this afternoon, with the difference provided by Adrian Cambridge, who scored from the penalty spot after Bignot gave away a penalty.

Cambridge City had several other quality attempts at goal, but failed to apply the coup dr gras to the visitors. With the win the Lilywhites extend their unbeaten record in the Southern Premier to seven games and if they can maintain their current pace, it will be hard for any team to stop them.

Attendance: 327

Anthony Crooks displayed supreme confidence as he met journalists after the match.

SPL Weekly chose the main focus point for the conference with journalist Shaun Lynch asking, "You have just managed to extend your unbeaten run, and it doesn't appear to be ending any time soon according to fans and experts alike. Do you think you can keep it going?"

Crooks' response was, "Absolutely, confidence is high and the team is playing very well."

Around the League

With nine matches played and 16 goals scored, the best viewing was to be found at Penydarren Park where a crowd of 372 witnessed Merthyr's 0 - 2 defeat against Hemel Hempstead. The highlight of that match was Mark Coulson scoring his first ever goal for Hemel Hempstead.

A total of 2087 supporters were out in force around the English Southern League Premier Division.

FA Cup round up

With eight teams in action and 8 goals scored, the majority of the tallies came at Godstone Road where a crowd of 343 witnessed Lingfield's heavy 1 - 4 defeat against Farnborough. The highlight of that match was Daryl McMahon scoring his first ever goal for Farnborough.

A total of 722 supporters were out in force around the English FA Cup.

Our run continues and in an effort to keep spirits high I praise both Tom Pepper and Matt Haniver, who both seem happy to be acknowledged. Pepper told the media that he was really pleased with his recent display and was enjoying the season immensely. I do worry that I maybe should have toned it down at the press conference as some thought I came across a bit cocky, insinuating we may go unbeaten. Any thought of that is ridiculous of course, but it is easy to have things taken out of context. I still looking for some help along the wings, but nobody promising has popped up as of yet.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #42
BYU 14
Coordinator

Peter Dugmore gives me a ring to let me know that Peter Trego has returned to full training after being out for 11 days with the wrist injury, hurt his first day back after another injury. He will be kept in bubble wrap going forward.

I am busy so I send Sean Osborne to the presser ahead of our League match against Halesowen Town.

Shaun Lynch asks him, "Heading into this match it has been suggested that you may be adopting a defensive approach in order to avoid defeat. How will you approach this game?"

Sean’s response, "I intend to shut up shop and hope for the best."

What? “I” intend to do what? It is no surprise this brings a mixed response from the squad as it is far from our normal approach and several players are upset, even though they know I would never do that. Why would Osborne give that as a quote? When I ask him about it, Osborne states he was just trying to throw the opposition off. I shake my head and dismiss him. Halesowen was docked 10 points coming into the season for financial misappropriations and are mired in last place. Do we really need to “throw them off?”

I next get word from the board that we will play VT F.C. in the English Southern League Cup First Round VT Group Sports Ground on Tuesday October 27th 2009.

In addition our English Southern League Premier Division match against Oxford City has been rearranged for Friday October 30th 2009 due to a scheduling conflict with the Mangotsfield vs Oxford City Southern League Cup match on Tuesday October 27th 2009.

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – September 23rd, 2009

City sleepwalks to draw against relegation candidates Halesowen Town!

Cambridge City was held to a draw by Halesowen Town in a close-fought Southern Premier match played at The Grove. The match was remarkable for the number of fouls committed by Cambridge City, who seemed more concerned with disrupting the flow of the game than playing it.

Supporter spokesperson David Clayton believes the fans are disappointed with the scoreless draw and he called out James Krause and Shaun Goodhall for their uninspired performances.

City is still on an eight match unbeaten run and the promotion contenders are enjoying 1st place in the English Southern League Premier Division, despite the disappointing result.

Attendance: 232

Dammit Osborne!! That is the last time I send him to a presser, the team was seriously flat and with so much grumbling going on about his comments I can’t help but think the squad was affected. I let him know that we don’t “shut up shop” at City, but he was more then welcome to shut his mouth to the press from now on. In terms of the game, we had 6 yellow cards, but that is for another rant.

Quote:
SPL Weekly – September 24th, 2009

With eighteen teams in action and 17 goals scored, the tip top tilt was to be found at Loop Meadow Stadium where a crowd of 315 witnessed Didcot's 2 - 1 victory over Swindon Supermarine. The highlight of the match was a landmark goal for Didcot's Ian Sampson.

Elsewhere, two goals from Sean Rigg inspired a win for the home team during Merthyr's 2 - 1 victory over Brackley and Jacob Walcott scored the best of the goals in Farnborough's 2 - 1 victory over Rugby with a firm diving header from inside the six yard box.

A total of 2880 supporters were out in force around the English Southern League Premier Division.

Ian Drayton's appearance at the age of 15 and 306 days for Stourbridge away at Hednesford is a new record. The previous youngest player was Adam Davis, who appeared at the age of 15 and 349 days for Clevedon Town against Stourbridge

No shockers in Southern League Cup

Soccer enthusiasts looking to the English Southern League Cup Qualifying Round for potential upsets were left empty-handed as there were none to be found on this particular day. Aylesbury overcame Hitchin in a result which reflected the general theme of the round.

Slough Town is also in the draw for the next round as they beat Southern D1M outfit Chesham United at Holloways Park.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #43
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – September 26th, 2009

Lilywhites live to fight again

Cambridge City could count themselves somewhat fortunate to have escaped with a draw against Nantwich Town in their English FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round game at Weaver Stadium. The match was remarkable for the number of fouls committed by Cambridge City, who played a rather chippy match.

James Krause claimed the man of the match for the Lilywhites, tenaciously holding down the left flank, while providing capable support in the attack. The City Fullback looked tidy and hardly put a foot wrong all game.

Attendance: 685

Shockers in the FA Cup

A series of upsets marked the English FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round as a number of big clubs were knocked out by their opponents from lower divisions. The biggest surprise came as Southern D1M team Slough Town eliminated Blue Square South team Dorchester Town at Holloways Park.

Whitley Bay also progressed after a win at Hillheads Park, where they upset recently relegated Burscough in stunning fashion.

Elsewhere, there were wins for Barwell, Clevedon Town, Stafford Rangers and Eastleigh.

I have a voicemail from supporter spokesperson David Clayton, letting me know the fans are pleased with our draw against Nantwich, since the result means we can still achieve our minimum aim of reaching the Second Round. That is very nice, but who the hell gave this guy my number? Glad he is happy, but the number of fouls we commit does concern and as my chum at the local rag pointed out, we did play sloppy.

Chairman Satchell pops in to tell me we will play Stansted in the English FA Cup First Round, so long as we best Nantwich in the replay at City Ground on the 29th. The insinuation being of course, that we better best Nantwich.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #44
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – September 29th, 2009

Quest for the Cup continues

An efficient performance from Cambridge C earned them a 2 - 0 win over Nantwich Town at The City Ground in their FA Cup 4th round qualifier replay.

Young midfielder Tom Pepper gave City the lead with a real poacher's effort in the 33rd minute and striker Shaun Goodhall rounded off their victory in the 38th minute with a fine header from pointblank range. Pepper revealed that he has been pleased with the way he has played recently and was delighted that his head coach had recognized his efforts.

City’s reward for their Cup win is $7,500, a small, but meaningful boost to the clubs coffers as rumors of financial trouble abound.

Supporter spokesperson David Clayton feels the fans are pleased with the Lilywhites 2 - 0 English FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round Replay victory over Nantwich as Marc Stevenson, Tom Pepper and Shaun Goodhall particularly impressed.

Attendance: 445

The Cambridge City vs Hemel Hempstead English Southern League Premier Division match has been rearranged for Wednesday November 18th 2009 due to a scheduling conflict with the City vs Stansted FA Cup match on Saturday October 10th 2009.

City will play Godmanchester Rovers in the Cambridgeshire County FA Invitation Cup First Round. The game will be played at The City Ground on Tuesday October 13th 2009. Cambridge City is acknowledged as the most successful team ever to have played in the Cambridgeshire Invitation Cup, having won the competition six times.

Good Stuff in our FA Cup win and every schilling we earn helps the cause. I was also happy that my stalker from the Fan club spoke to the Town Crier as opposed to leaving me another intimate voicemail. This latest clean sheet marks a club record 6th straight match without conceding, which is quite pleasing considering the attacking style we normally play.

All is not peaches though as Peter Dugmore informs me that Neil Midgley sustained a sprained ankle during the match against Nantwich. Midgley will be treated at the club and is likely out for between 6 weeks and 7 weeks. Midge is not a key player, but it hurts to lose depth.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #45
MacroGuru
Coordinator

That draw turned out well for you, good job!
Old 12-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #46
BYU 14
Coordinator

October dawns and we sit in first place, despite playing fewer matches than most of the other squads. We have not cracked the top scorers list, but our passing has been crisp as evidenced by two midfielders amongst the league leaders and Krause has been a tackling terror from his left Fullback spot.

*Note on table - Halesowen and Methyr had 10 point deductions applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
That draw turned out well for you, good job!
Sweet for sure, but my squad is gassed, I wish I could get it done the first time
Old 12-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #47
BYU 14
Coordinator

You have Mail…….

Quote:
To: [email protected]

Subject: October Schedule

10.3.2009 - Cambridge City under 18s v Evesham under 18s
10.3.2009 - Hednesford v Cambridge City (Southern Premier)
10.3.2009 - England under 20s v Uruguay under 20s (U20 World Cup)
10.4.2009 - English FA Trophy Second Qualifying Round Draw
10.7.2009 - Slovenia under 19s v England under 19s (Euro U19 Ch'ship Quals)
10.7.2009 - Truro v Cambridge City (Southern Premier)
10.9.2009 - England under 19s v Iceland under 19s (Euro U19 Ch'ship Quals)
10.9.2009 - England under 21s v Georgia under 21s (Euro U21 Ch'ship Quals)
10.10.2009 - English FA Cup First Round
10.10.2009 - Cambridge City under 18s v Merthyr under 18s
10.10.2009 - Cambridge City v Stansted (FA Cup)
10.10.2009 - Ukraine v England (World Cup Quals (EUR))
10.11.2009 - English FA Cup Second Round Draw
10.11.2009 - Luxembourg under 19s v England under 19s (Euro U19 Ch'ship Quals)
10.13.2009 - Poland under 21s v England under 21s (Euro U21 Ch'ship Quals)
10.13.2009 - Cambridge City v Godmanchester (Cambridgeshire Invitation Cup)
10.14.2009 - Cambridgeshire County FA Invitation Cup Quarter Final Draw
10.14.2009 - England v Belarus (World Cup Quals (EUR))
10.17.2009 - English FA Trophy Second Qualifying Round
10.17.2009 - Cambridge City under 18s v Hemel Hempstead under 18s
10.17.2009 - Merthyr v Cambridge City (Southern Premier)
10.18.2009 - English FA Trophy Third Qualifying Round Draw
10.22.2009 - Cambridge City v Swindon Supermarine (Southern Premier)
10.24.2009 - English FA Cup Second Round
10.24.2009 - Aylesbury under 18s v Cambridge City under 18s
10.25.2009 - English FA Cup Third Round Draw
10.27.2009 - VT F.C. v Cambridge City (Southern League Cup)
10.28.2009 - English Southern League Cup Second Round Draw
10.30.2009 - Cambridge City v Oxford City (Southern Premier)
10.31.2009 - English FA Trophy Third Qualifying Round

Quote:
SPL Weekly October 1st, 2009

Collins wins the crown!

Didcot Town's Simon Collins has won the Southern Premier Manager of the Month award.

The award was made after the Railwaymen boss led his team to three league victories in their last four games.

(SLP) Didcot 3 - 1 Hemel Hempstead (Sep 3rd)
(SLP) Didcot 1 - 0 Leamington (Sep 9th)
(SLP) Didcot 1 - 2 Clevedon (Sep 19th)
(SLP) Didcot 2 - 1 Swindon S (Sep 23rd)

There was nothing to choose between the top three and the award could easily have gone to either Cambridge City's Anthony Crooks or Wayne Powell from Clevedon, who came second and third respectively.

League round up

With five matches played and 8 goals scored the top shelf match was to be found at Liberty Way where a crowd of 597 witnessed Nuneaton's 2 - 1 victory over Bedford Town.

Elsewhere, Nick Ingram scored a placed shot from close range during Stourbridge's 2 - 0 victory over Hemel Hempstead and 138 watched Clevedon's 1 - 0 victory over Evesham.

A total of 1105 supporters were out in force around the English Southern League Premier Division.

I meet with Chairman Satchell for my monthly performance review.

Your capture of Marc Stevenson, who the fans believe to be a very good signing, has been particularly pleasing, however, some of the fans have voiced their concern over Shaun Goodhall's performances and that is something that you should think about.

The club made a profit of $141 last month, so we are breaking even.

Monthly Turnover: $45.86K
Previous Month: $23.43K
Main Income: Gate Receipts $26.14K
Old 12-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #48
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – October 3rd, 2009

“Lucky”whites still rolling.

Cambridge City have extended their unbeaten record in the Southern Premier to nine games following their 2 - 1 result against Hednesford Town.

Sitting nicely in a promotion spot, the club's fans will hope they can build on this and go on to have a successful season. Though the Lilywhites have lived up to expectations with their early season performances, they were helped in this match with a spot of fortune.

The somewhat fortuitous win on a fine autumn afternoon at Keys Park, was led by Captain Adrian Cambridge. Cappy gave City the lead with a powerful freekick from the edge of the area in the 17th minute. Hednesford's equalizer came through Ross Dyer as he seized on David Theobald's mistake to score a penalty. With time dwindling, young winger Ikenna Ofoche sacked the late winner for the away team in the 86th minute with a thumping header, which sent the fans into raptures.

Attendance: 390

Around the League

With fourteen teams in action and 17 goals scored, we have to take the home team as the match of the day as City traveled to Keys Park where a crowd of 390 witnessed Hednesford's 1 - 2 defeat against Lilywhites. The highlight of that match was Ikenna Ofoche scoring his first ever goal for Cambridge City to clinch the win.

Elsewhere, two goals from Andrew Thomas inspired a win for the home team during Merthyr's 2 - 1 victory over Stourbridge and Luke Townsend scored the best of the goals in Tiverton's convincing 3 - 0 victory over Leamington with a placed shot.

A total of 2100 supporters were out in force around the English Southern League Premier Division.

Shaun Lynch is quite the bastard, slighting a hard fought win in one breat, then annoiting our victory as perfomance of the day in the next. Either Mr. Lynch is secretly hoping to have my job or he is just one miserable wanker.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #49
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – October 6th, 2009

Cambridge City will play Folkestone Invicta in the English FA Trophy Second Qualifying Round. The game will be played at The New Pavilion on Saturday October 17th 2009 and the Lilywhites should be comfortably favored. Because of this draw the Merthyr vs Cambridge City English Southern League Premier Division match has been rearranged for Wednesday December 2nd 2009.

Adrian Cambridge was selected in the Southern Premier Team of the Week first eleven, as the ageless Captain continues to dazzle in the midfield, proving a vital cog in the Lilywhites attack.

A well deserved honor for Adrian, he does not have great conditioning at the age of 35 and I have to sub him pretty much every game, but when he is on the pitch he is still brilliant.

Quote:
Cambridge Town Crier – October 7th, 2009

City blasted in laugher!

Cambridge City will be wondering what might have been this morning after a close encounter with Truro turned into a 4 - 1 victory for their opponents.

Defender Jake Ash gave Truro the lead with a freekick in the 18th minute, then Taylor followed with a tally from the penalty spot after Theobald committed a foolish foul. James-Barriteau scored with a real poacher's effort in the 36th minute to extend the lead further and send the Lilywhites into a flaming tailspin.

Young striker Shaun Goodhall pulled one back for City after 54 minutes with a close range header, before Striker Stewart Yetton completed the rout with a well timed blast from the 6 yard box in the 64th minute.

Supporter spokesperson David Clayton believes the fans are disappointed with the heavy defeat and singled out Zac Barrett, Marc Stevenson and Rob Nightingale as the main targets for the fans' criticism. He added that players such as Peter Trego and Patrick Bexfield would have been preferred in the starting lineup.

Good for you Mr. Clayton, anytime you want take on my HUGE salary and pace the muddy ruts alongside the pitch at City grounds feel free to step in.

Quote:
SPL Weekly – October 8th 2009

With nine matches played and 21 goals scored, the best viewing was to be found at Hardenhuish Park where a crowd of 297 witnessed Chippenham's 2 - 0 victory over Leamington. The highlight of that match was Ben Highmore scoring his first ever goal for Chippenham.

Elsewhere, Justin Marsden scored a good header from just inside the six yard box during Nuneaton's 2 - 2 draw with Didcot and 496 watched Truro's convincing 4 - 1 victory over Cambridge City where Stewart Yetton scored the best of the goals with a well timed close range finish. A total of 2365 supporters were out in force around the English Southern League Premier Division.

Again we make the SPL weekly highlights, but for all the wrong reasons this time. This was a total team effort; I experimented with my tactics and was just out of synch with the match all day. My worst job as a Manager to date by far and having a pitch full of tired players did nothing to boost our odds. I am almost hoping to lose some cup games and get some down time. As it is now I can give the lads no more than an occasional day of rest here and there.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #50
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Hows the City coming? Remember this thing hooked me on getting mine going so I am keeping an eye on it.