Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

OOTP versus Puresim

Alright...I'm choosing one....which one do you guys like better?

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
hukarez
College Starter

Here's lynchjm24's linky to the thread here on this board, that was posted on the Matrix boards!

Haaaa.....!

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=49729
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

They both have demos. Which one do you like better?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

what better ootp or puresim?

thanks
Old 06-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog

thanks

please stop causing problems
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

OOTP 6.5 all the way.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

Definitely download both demos and check each of them out.

Anymore, I can only play baseball in online leagues as the AI-run teams in a solo career just don't cut it for me.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #8
rowech
Pro Starter

Let me edit a bit

I have downloaded and played both demos. OOTP 2006 seemed to be way too much. Too much clutter and the game bogs down. Baseball Mogul simply doesn't cut it for me. Puresim seems to be between the two. I'm leaning toward puresim but wonder if anyone has comments on it's realism, etc. I read through the big thread here but it seemed to be an ongoing thread as people tried the game. Curious what the overall feeling is now that it's been out a month.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just because the FOFC can be a little skeptical of newcomers, and even more so when they inquire about a contentious topic ... Rowech came by here after I suggested he might find some of the conversations here on the various baseball textsim options of interest. He had asked for thoughts about them on one of the tabletop game forums, where he's a solid citizen & good guy.
(and, although it might surprise some of the regulars here, I didn't offer an opinion on any of them, just pointed him to the PureSim thread here & kept my two cents out of it).

In other words - be nice FOFC, he's legit
Old 06-24-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech
I have downloaded and played both demos. OOTP 2006 seemed to be way too much. Too much clutter and the game bogs down. Baseball Mogul simply doesn't cut it for me. Puresim seems to be between the two. I'm leaning toward puresim but wonder if anyone has comments on it's realism, etc. I read through the big thread here but it seemed to be an ongoing thread as people tried the game. Curious what the overall feeling is now that it's been out a month.

It's tough for me to comment now. PureSim, IMO, is probably the better game as is.

But OOTP truly has potential. There is that word though. . . will it realize it's potenial? I don't know.

As far as OOTP being cluttered, it is a bit. But when you use bookmarks and figure out things, it becomes pretty smooth. In terms of speed, OOTP is actually the faster game.

I'd hold off until the patches or buy both, but if that isn't an option, I'd try the demos and read through both the PureSim and OOTP threads here.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:59 PM   #11
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I didn't offer an opinion

ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:09 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277

Yeah yeah, I know
Old 06-24-2006, 05:18 PM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I bought Puresim after just a little fiddling with the demo and havn't regretted my purchase. it's realistic ENOUGH for me, which is the key. i still havn't played the OOTP demo, although I badly want to like the game. I guess I'm holding off for a couple patches to see how it will end up.

Puresim is the only sim i've played where i've gotten totally immersed in historical leagues, because it's that easy to set them up.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:02 PM   #14
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

PureSim is a great game IMO. Not perfect by any means, no game is. But it is the first baseball sim I have become addicted to, in some ways like I did FOF and FBCB, although perhaps a touch less.

Not sure about the comment above about the AI in solo player. I am in what is now a 26 year career, simming the first 10 years to get a bit of history since it was all fictional and started in 1902. I made my Ottawa team into a powerhouse over a few years, and went on to win several World Series, all against the powerhouse of the other league, Buffalo. I won my first, missed the playoffs the year after, then won 3 in a row. Lost one to Buffalo, then won another.

After this run of Ottawa vs. Buffalo World Series, I decided it was time to expand the league and split each league into two divisions. I took over an expansion team, Little Rock. What made me happy was that Ottawa continued to win. Usually the computer would screw up a team like that, but they kept rolling, winning two more titles before I knocked them off with my Little Rock team in the playoffs. Meanwhile, my team is struggling a bit now to get back to the playoffs. Building up this team has been harder then it was with Ottawa for some reason.

The stats are pretty good, enough for me to be happy I think as it has improved with the beta patches.

Crap, I rambled. Anyways, this is te first PureSim I have played and I think it is a good way to go if you want a baseball sim.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:33 PM   #15
rowech
Pro Starter

Cringer,

Is it perhaps too easy?
Old 06-25-2006, 01:43 AM   #16
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Cringer,

Is it perhaps too easy?

I know I have heard one guy say that, but I don't think it is too easy. Like I said (in a long-winded way), I built up a pretty strong franchise with the first team I had in that league, one that the computer has continued to keep strong. But with my second team I have had a harder time. I did win the World Series in my third year, but that was with the help of some career years by several guys. I have since struggled, and I definetly have not been able to build up my prospects in the minors like I did before. I haven't changed my formula, it just isn't panning out as well.

If you do get PureSim though, and don't get the latest beta patch it will not be as strong of a game. Some weaknesses have been fixed with trade AI and other stuff since the last official patch. The next official patch is coming soon though, and the beta patches have all been pretty stable anyways so I keep getting those.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #17
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Cringer,

Is it perhaps too easy?

I don't think there is a text sim for solo players that isn't too easy.

I play with only 2 house rules:
1. I have a payroll that is 25-30% less then the AI teams.
2. I limit myself to 3 trades a year - they all must be 1-1. I can make any deal the game will make but it has to be 1-1.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #18
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog

thanks

does the game come with a good manual?

thanks