Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 07:20 AM   #3451
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Since obstruction is a given, tie goes to removing the orange stain 100 out of 100 times. Beyond the obvious benefits of removing Trump, just imagine a world in which you hear from the president like once every couple of weeks. How awesome would that be?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-30-2020, 07:25 AM   #3452
Ksyrup

McGrath's now got a 2700 vote lead on Booker in KY after Booker had briefly taken the lead. I think it's going to be too little, too late for Booker, unless the absentee votes in Jefferson closely track his advantage in in-person polling (which I doubt they will).

In any event, McConnell is going to skate to victory. Booker's too left and McGrath is not a good enough candidate to overcome someone like McConnell in a state like KY.

EDIT: Up 10K votes now.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-30-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #3453
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Since obstruction is a given, tie goes to removing the orange stain 100 out of 100 times. Beyond the obvious benefits of removing Trump, just imagine a world in which you hear from the president like once every couple of weeks. How awesome would that be?

But you know Trump's not going away. He'll be tweeting from the crapper every day and CNN and Fox will still follow it breathlessly for some stupid reason

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 06-30-2020, 07:58 AM   #3454
Ksyrup

Sure, but at that point he won't be in any position of authority for anyone to care what he says. I only pay attention now because I have to. I never even watched the Apprentice years ago because I couldn't stand to see or hear from that gigantic POS.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #3455
Ksyrup

McGrath is going to win - once Jefferson reports shortly, it will be called.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #3456
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
McGrath is going to win - once Jefferson reports shortly, it will be called.

It is an election year, so the GOP is still calling the Democrats radical leftists. But I feel like this time their heart just isn't into it.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:31 AM   #3457
Ksyrup

Booker got close with Jefferson, but can't pull ahead and you have to expect the rest of the absentees are going to continue to fall to McGrath. Lexington did Booker in - you'd expect a greater margin there.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #3458
PilotMan
Head Coach

McGrath certainly had some bad exposure, and I would have rather seen the race that Booker would have run, but I still hold out hope, that all that energy for Booker can be funneled into McGrath and at least make things interesting.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Old 06-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #3459
Thomkal
Head Coach

I thought it was going to go to Booker there for a while at end-thought Warren changing her endorsement might shake things up more. Looks like McGrath is going to win by about 12,000 votes
Old 06-30-2020, 04:55 PM   #3460
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Booker seems to have a lot of energy (and McGrath campaigned poorly at the end there, almost seeming to give it away), but in a general election I think McGrath has a far better chance of scaring the shit out of McConnell than Booker would (I don't know if any would actually beat him)
Old 06-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #3461
RainMaker
General Manager

I think there was a lot of mail-in/early voting in the state so Booker's late run probably wasn't enough. Plus closing down practically all the polling locations and locking people out didn't help him either.

Don't think either is coming close to McConnell but I think Booker wins the primary if it was a legitimate election.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #3462
PilotMan
Head Coach

The closing of the polling places was a bit overblown. The state always has in person, absentee voting prior to the election. You only need to say, and sign a legal document that you'll be out of the county on election day. Voting takes place at the main city building every day, for like a month prior. In this case, they pretty much waved all requirements for it, due to Covid, and you could vote anytime prior, via mail, or in person. I voted in like 10 minutes the day prior. It was nothing. A little bit of advance planning by people could have saved them time waiting, or they could have mailed their ballots in weeks prior. That's the real reason. McGrath was soaking up early votes before Booker even picked up his steam. That's why the spread was that big.

Like Steam?

Old 06-30-2020, 05:40 PM   #3463
RainMaker
General Manager

I just think you need to make a choice at some point. Either treat all voting equal or choose one or the other (mail or in person).

This method seemed to favor those who voted by mail. That's fine, but you shouldn't then have another method of voting that requires hours of waiting in line and traveling long distances. Or at least inform the public early on that it'll take 5 hours to vote on election day.

Guess what I'm saying is make it like Oregon if mail-in is what you want. Don't punish those who choose a particular legal way of voting.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:47 PM   #3464
Ksyrup

In-person voting was available for up to 2 weeks. The day before election day, Louisville's polling place largely sat empty. Heck, they barely had lines on election day until after work.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #3465
RainMaker
General Manager

Don't they close polling really early in Kentucky?
Old 06-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #3466
Ksyrup

6pm?
Old 06-30-2020, 07:07 PM   #3467
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, 6pm

Like Steam?

Old 06-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #3468
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Atlanta Hawks are converting their arena into a giant polling place. Seems like a good idea for other cities to follow suit. Especially when they find these large arenas with public money.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:08 PM   #3469
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The Atlanta Hawks are converting their arena into a giant polling place. Seems like a good idea for other cities to follow suit. Especially when they find these large arenas with public money.

Call me crazy, but isn't there a reason why arenas aren't in large demand right now?

Also as a side-note, I don't know who exactly is responsible for sound quality at a concert (band or venue), but this stadium had the absolute worst sound system out of any concert I've been too.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 07-01-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:19 PM   #3470
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Booker seems to have a lot of energy (and McGrath campaigned poorly at the end there, almost seeming to give it away), but in a general election I think McGrath has a far better chance of scaring the shit out of McConnell than Booker would (I don't know if any would actually beat him)

She lost a horrendously winnable House race two years ago, there is zero chance she wins this year unless everything politically gets turned upside down. $45m and a ton of name recognition wasn't enough to run up the margins.

Even Booker campaigning for her won't be enough.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:30 AM   #3471
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Call me crazy, but isn't there a reason why arenas aren't in large demand right now?

Also as a side-note, I don't know who exactly is responsible for sound quality at a concert (band or venue), but this stadium had the absolute worst sound system out of any concert I've been too.

There’s dozens(hundreds?) of rooms they can use for polling stations. They will have virtually infinite space to keep people separated.

Most of these arenas are fairly easy to get to via public transportation options
Old 07-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #3472
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I wonder if the GOP constantly calling Biden senile, saying he's just napping in his basement, etc. will backfire on them.

Biden has been giving speeches and campaigning, and he's seemed fine. But a lot of people haven't noticed that (because the networks don't cover his campaign speeches like they do Trump's, but that's a whole other issue).

So the GOP is setting this expectation that Biden will be drooling on himself and not know where he is. And, when people start paying attention, Biden will surpass this very low bar, and people will be impressed.

Trump benefited from that in 2016. People criticized his temperament and intelligence so much that when he debated Hillary and came off as pretty normal, everyone was very impressed.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:56 AM   #3473
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's laughable to me that the 'attack' on Biden is that his mind is gone and he's just not with it. Of all the people to levy that attack, I don't think that trump has much of a leg to stand on when the tables are turned. He's got 4 years of proof his mind was never there to defend.

Like Steam?

Old 07-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #3474
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Kanye West Announces 2020 Presidential Run | Billboard

I really should be thinking "This could never happen, he has no chance."

But I really don't know anymore.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:36 PM   #3475
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
It's laughable to me that the 'attack' on Biden is that his mind is gone and he's just not with it. Of all the people to levy that attack, I don't think that trump has much of a leg to stand on when the tables are turned. He's got 4 years of proof his mind was never there to defend.

I think the argument can even be more cynical than that. If neither candidate has the mental acumen, the seed is planted that it doesn't matter who you vote for and/or might as well stay home, suppressing turnout. Or, it also takes the sting out of the 'Trump is a buffoon' line because if the other guy is one also ...
Old 07-04-2020, 08:44 PM   #3476
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think the issue with it is as what albionmoonlight said - it lowers the bar for Biden a ton. For anyone who has watched Biden lately he seems mentally fine. That by itself is going to make those attacks spectacularly backfire. Especially at the Convention speech and the debates. He doesn't have to be a spectacular wordsmith (he never has). He just has to do what he's been doing - talk in complete sentences.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2020, 09:24 PM   #3477
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Kanye West Announces 2020 Presidential Run | Billboard

I really should be thinking "This could never happen, he has no chance."

But I really don't know anymore.

Hey Kanye. it's July 4th, not April Fools
Old 07-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #3478
JPhillips
General Manager

Kanye is the best the Trump folks can come up with?
Old 07-04-2020, 11:05 PM   #3479
bronconick
College Starter

Even getting folks registered to vote is down with the pandemic, and Kanye is gonna go around getting a few hundred thousand signatures in the next 4-6 weeks? Already too late in 6 states
Old 07-04-2020, 11:48 PM   #3480
molson
General Manager

This was already a prop on predictit. If you jumped in before today you could sell your position for 15X today. (And that's with the "yes" position still at under 50%. If he actually runs, it's be a 30X return if you got in a few days ago and held all the way.

Last edited by molson : 07-05-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #3481
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is there any chance at all he pulls enough black votes from Biden in swing states that it gives Trump the win?
Old 07-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #3482
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Kanye just keeps inching closer and closer to calling himself god and nobody in that entire family does shit. I'm sure his children will be fine.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #3483
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

He already did - what do you think Yeezus was about?

Anyway, he's not running. He just likes tweeting he's going to run every few months. As pointed out getting the signatures to be on the ballot is going to be almost impossible at this stage of the game.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2020, 10:32 AM   #3484
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye
A lot of Africans do not like the movie [Black Panther] and representation of themselves in…Wakanda. But I’m gonna use the framework of Wakanda right now because it’s the best explanation of what our design group is going to feel like in the White House…That is a positive idea: you got Kanye West, one of the most powerful humans—I’m not saying the most because you got a lot of alien level superpowers and it’s only collectively that we can set it free. Let’s get back to Wakanda… like in the movie in Wakanda when the king went to visit that lead scientist to have the shoes wrap around her shoes. Just the amount of innovation that can happen, the amount of innovation in medicine—like big pharma—we are going to work, innovate, together. This is not going to be some Nipsey Hussle being murdered, they’re doing a documentary, we have so many soldiers that die for our freedom, our freedom of information, that there is a cure for AIDS out there, there is going to be a mix of big pharma and holistic.

I don't know what he's talking about but the idea of basing your government off of a one in a comic book wins my vote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:38 AM   #3485
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

"you got a lot of alien level superpowers"

… Oh, ok Yeezy....
Old 07-08-2020, 10:49 AM   #3486
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If Kanye and Trump debate, they could put that shit on pay per view.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #3487
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Is there any chance at all he pulls enough black votes from Biden in swing states that it gives Trump the win?

Kanye's OK with that so don't worry

Kanye West says he's OK taking Black voters away from Joe Biden — thus helping Trump's reelection — as he launches his wild card presidential bid
Old 07-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #3488
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Wouldn't be surprised if this was part of the Trump plan.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #3489
RainMaker
General Manager

Kanye is not getting on the ballots in time. It's hard enough for 3rd parties to get on the ballot in states and that's without a pandemic and ample time. This is a publicity stunt for a new album or clothing line.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #3490
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How is Duckworth getting all kinds of press and kicking all kinds of ass and is only like 13cents on PredictIt. I expected her to be way closer to the lead.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:48 PM   #3491
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Kanye is not getting on the ballots in time. It's hard enough for 3rd parties to get on the ballot in states and that's without a pandemic and ample time. This is a publicity stunt for a new album or clothing line.

You forget that he's one of the most powerful humans.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:17 PM   #3492
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
How is Duckworth getting all kinds of press and kicking all kinds of ass and is only like 13cents on PredictIt. I expected her to be way closer to the lead.

Also seems like a tell that Republicans are going so hard after her right now. As if they think she is the VP that would benefit Biden the most.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #3493
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

She's not black?
Old 07-09-2020, 02:57 PM   #3494
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Biden comes out swinging with a massive spending plan to spur the US economy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...af1_story.html

Quote:
Joe Biden unveiled a proposal Thursday to spend $700 billion on American products and research, challenging President Trump’s “America First” agenda with a competing brand of economic nationalism and setting the stage for an election-year showdown over the country’s financial future.

The announcement prompted swift frustration from some Trump allies that Biden’s “Buy American” push was released before Trump could enact a similar proposal that has been held up for months amid internal objections, according to current and former officials. Stephen K. Bannon, a former chief Trump strategist, said the president’s team was “caught flat-footed.”

The Biden campaign plan for manufacturing and innovation says it will bring back jobs lost this year and create at least 5 million more with sweeping investments in domestic technology; reduce dependence on foreign countries to supply critical goods; and implement trade and tax policies that empower U.S. workers.

“When we spend taxpayers’ money, when the federal government spends taxpayers’ money, we should use it to buy American products and support American jobs,” said Biden in a speech in Dunmore, Pa. The presumptive Democratic nominee spoke at a metalworks plant, delivering first major element of what his campaign says will be a four-part agenda to spearhead an economic recovery.

“Enough is enough,” said Biden. “It’s time to reverse the priorities in this country. It’s time to help small businesses, middle-class folks, manage their way through the pandemic.”

Quote:
His new platform focuses heavily on using the power of the federal government to promote a U.S. domestic manufacturing base. He is advocating a $400 billion procurement initiative over four years to spur demand for American products and services, as well as a $300 billion investment in U.S. research and breakthrough technologies. Half of the $300 billion is in clean-energy initiatives that were previously announced, the campaign said.

Brilliant strategy too, focusing on bolstering domestic industry and outflanking Trump.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-09-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:21 PM   #3495
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The question is whether Biden's plan penetrates the public consciousness at all.

On the one hand, he is proposing a near trillion dollar reshaping of the American economy.

On the other hand, Trump will tweet something. Or a celebrity will say she hates America. Or a police officer will give a Nazi salute. Or some kids will paint a mural that says United States of Antifa. Or someone will or won't wear a mask in public.

And I have a guess as to whether the media will focus on Biden's plan or the new pointless bright shiny thing in front of them.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #3496
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well apparently Fox News even showed his entire speech today. So that's something. It may not make the headlines for long, but the Plan being out there is good - apparently the administration is peeved that they were beaten to a Buy American plan. It's also part 1 of the Plan, so every speech helps keep Biden in the news a little bit every so often. Also more people who see him give a coherent speech jumps over that low bar that he's a dementia drooling idiot thing that Trump is pushing.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:34 PM   #3497
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I also like how Trump people on Twitter were getting on Biden for being concerned that people were standing in the rain and asking them to come closer to avoid getting rained on. Like, that level of empathy deserved getting made fun of for those people.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #3498
Thomkal
Head Coach

Love that thanks to Trump adminstration lack of experience, Biden got his plan out before they could
Old 07-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #3499
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well apparently Fox News even showed his entire speech today. So that's something. It may not make the headlines for long, but the Plan being out there is good - apparently the administration is peeved that they were beaten to a Buy American plan. It's also part 1 of the Plan, so every speech helps keep Biden in the news a little bit every so often. Also more people who see him give a coherent speech jumps over that low bar that he's a dementia drooling idiot thing that Trump is pushing.

They are running a very safe and smart campaign right now IMO. Short, concise speeches, rolling out his agenda, letting the Lincoln Project and others do the mud slinging, not caving to a 4th debate and staying with a message of unity.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #3500
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

I mean, I don't know that she's KICKING ass.

No? Too far?