Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

air travel with children

So we have three children ages 3,3,5 (as of next summer when we are flying) We have never taken them on a plane before.

1. What is the car seat protocol? Do they fly in their safety seats?

2 If not can we check them in luggage and not have it count as baggage for use in a rental van when we arrive?

3. Anyone have any experience with this many kids? Any advice on have to navigate the airport with all this crap and our luggage?
4.Are Southwest's wanna get away adult fares as cheap as you can get or can we get kids fares even cheaper?

Any responses to any or all the questions much appreciated!

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
rjolley
College Starter

When we moved to Sacramento 3 years ago, we flew out from Atlanta. We traveled with kids 6, 3, and 2.

For #1, we bought an airplane child harness for each child, like the one from Homepage. There are probably others, but that is the one we used.

For the car seats, we checked them along with our luggage. At the time, I was travelling a lot for work and had a lot Gold membership, so all of the bags were free. I don't think the car seats counted as bags, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

For navigating the airport, check the bags ASAP so you don't have to deal with them. Get the kids knapsacks with entertainment, snacks, and anything else they need. And keep it as fun as possible, as always with young kids.

Good luck with everything. If there's any other information I can help with, let me know.

Last edited by rjolley : 08-04-2017 at 02:11 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
henry296
College Starter

Car seats don't count. We found a bag online put them in.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
When we moved to Sacramento 3 years ago, we flew out from Atlanta. We traveled with kids 6, 3, and 2.

For #1, we bought an airplane child harness for each child, like the one from Homepage. There are probably others, but that is the one we used.

For the car seats, we checked them along with our luggage. At the time, I was travelling a lot for work and had a lot Gold membership, so all of the bags were free. I don't think the car seats counted as bags, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

For navigating the airport, check the bags ASAP so you don't have to deal with them. Get the kids knapsacks with entertainment, snacks, and anything else they need. And keep it as fun as possible, as always with young kids.

Good luck with everything. If there's any other information I can help with, let me know.

Thanks. We just drove from St. Louis to Chicago and our van was so full of crap that I don't how we are going to make an airline trip. Maybe the limit is a good thing? Seems like the airplane stuff should fascinate them and not bother them at this age but who knows my 4 year old is still scared of some crazy stuff and fearless about other stuff he should be scared of. .
Old 08-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

With both car seats & strollers (if any), beware of possible damage if checked as luggage.

Don't take "the good stuff" unless you're okay with that risk.
(Car seats are probably unrealistic to duplicate, but cheapo strollers became our go-to item after 2 damage incidents in 3 trips)
Old 08-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Car seats don't count. We found a bag online put them in.

Thanks will look that up!
Old 08-04-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
With both car seats & strollers (if any), beware of possible damage if checked as luggage.

Don't take "the good stuff" unless you're okay with that risk.
(Car seats are probably unrealistic to duplicate, but cheapo strollers became our go-to item after 2 damage incidents in 3 trips)

Yes good advice. Traveling to California so will probably just do stroller rentals at some of the theme park stuff and make them walk the rest. I always wondered who would rent a shitty stroller for $25 maybe I figured out my answe today.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #8
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Give them something to eat or drink during takeoff and landing help their ears adapt to the pressure changes.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:53 PM   #9
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yes good advice. Traveling to California so will probably just do stroller rentals at some of the theme park stuff and make them walk the rest. I always wondered who would rent a shitty stroller for $25 maybe I figured out my answe today.

Where in Cali are you going? We went down to San Diego recently and had a great time.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #10
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Veteran of many airplane trips with 2 young kids 3 years apart here.

When our kids were infants, we had them in car seats occasionally but frequently just in our laps. After they were 2 and required to have their own seats, they just sat in the regular seats with no issues. Car seats are not a requirement in airplanes.

I can't imagine lugging 3 permanent car seats through an airport while trying to keep track of 3 kids and all your other luggage.

Alternative 1: You can rent car seats from car rental places, but depending on number of days this could be expensive (and sometimes they don't have them available for renting anyway).

Alternative 2: If you're planning on doing more than a little bit of air travel with them through the years, we have had good success with these for ease of use while traveling:

https://www.amazon.com/BubbleBum-Tra...00AQYZCXK?th=1

But age 3 might be a little young, kind of depends on how your kids behave.

We personally almost never check luggage. If stuff stays with you, it can't get lost / damaged. For a family of 5, that might be tough though and you can check some items that aren't as big a deal if they get lost (try and keep at least one set of kids clothes in carry ons for spills / other disasters / lost luggage). It helps if the kids all have their own backpack with some of their stuff in it and they'll actually more than likely prefer to have their own bags like the big people do.

Make sure the kids are as well-rested and fed as possible prior to getting on the plane (and try to have them all go to the bathroom right before you get on).

Just read this is a year away...that's some serious advance planning.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Also ... Benadryl is your friend
Old 08-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #12
Balldog
Pro Rookie

We are flying next weekend from Detroit to Seattle with 5 kids (ages 1-10). Going to be an adventure. The car seat issue is the biggest concern right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #13
rjolley
College Starter

I'll second the BubbleBum recommendation. We use it as a booster seat for our 9 year old and it works well.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:42 PM   #14
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
So we have three children ages 3,3,5 (as of next summer when we are flying) We have never taken them on a plane before.

2 If not can we check them in luggage and not have it count as baggage for use in a rental van when we arrive?

3. Anyone have any experience with this many kids? Any advice on have to navigate the airport with all this crap and our luggage?
4.Are Southwest's wanna get away adult fares as cheap as you can get or can we get kids fares even cheaper?

1) You can use a car seat in the seat provided it's aviation approved. It has to say on the actual seat. You may be able to slide one past the flight attendants, but they are supposed to check before you get on the plane.

2) If you don't use it in the seat on the plane they can gate check it for you, where it'll go down below and come back up with your stroller. None of it is an extra charge.

3) Good Luck, others advice will be better than mine. Do your best, and make sure that you have your essential need to have on the plane items in a bag that will fit easily and are easy to get to. Just don't get separated from your essentials.

4) There aren't child rates. Any person over the age of 2 needs to ride in their own seat. So there's no age based price break.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:47 PM   #15
miked
College Starter

My wife works for an airline, we fly a lot. If you don't have any bags to carry on, try and be the last ones on the plane. Or just send one parent ahead with the bag to squeeze in. The boarding process is long for young kids, very long. Having them sit there for 20 minutes before the plane even pushes back is a nightmare. We just few to Ireland and I sent my wife on with the 8 year old and the carry on bags, then I waited until last call with the 3 year old. I remember that being really annoying the first time with a 2-5 year old (waiting for the boarding).

Also, bring wet wipes (both antibacterial and non-antibacterial).
Old 08-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #16
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Give them something to eat or drink during takeoff and landing help their ears adapt to the pressure changes.

Yeah I'm thinking it might be best to spend a little more for a direct flight to avoid double takeoffs and landings. I wouldn't mind sitting in salt lake for a few hours to save a couple hundred bucks but probably a good thing to take out of the equation. The air pressure is something I didn't even think of!
Old 08-04-2017, 04:32 PM   #17
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Where in Cali are you going? We went down to San Diego recently and had a great time.

Have an uncle and cousin that both live in Los Angeles. It will sound like a waste of a day but me and my cousin both have six flags passes and dining passes so we are spending one totally free day there. We may actually go down to San Diego for the PCH and Sea World since my wife has never been to California. A lot of beach likely. Any recommendations? Early planning stages obviously.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #18
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Veteran of many airplane trips with 2 young kids 3 years apart here.

When our kids were infants, we had them in car seats occasionally but frequently just in our laps. After they were 2 and required to have their own seats, they just sat in the regular seats with no issues. Car seats are not a requirement in airplanes.

I can't imagine lugging 3 permanent car seats through an airport while trying to keep track of 3 kids and all your other luggage.

Alternative 1: You can rent car seats from car rental places, but depending on number of days this could be expensive (and sometimes they don't have them available for renting anyway).

Alternative 2: If you're planning on doing more than a little bit of air travel with them through the years, we have had good success with these for ease of use while traveling:

https://www.amazon.com/BubbleBum-Tra...00AQYZCXK?th=1

But age 3 might be a little young, kind of depends on how your kids behave.

We personally almost never check luggage. If stuff stays with you, it can't get lost / damaged. For a family of 5, that might be tough though and you can check some items that aren't as big a deal if they get lost (try and keep at least one set of kids clothes in carry ons for spills / other disasters / lost luggage). It helps if the kids all have their own backpack with some of their stuff in it and they'll actually more than likely prefer to have their own bags like the big people do.

Make sure the kids are as well-rested and fed as possible prior to getting on the plane (and try to have them all go to the bathroom right before you get on).

Just read this is a year away...that's some serious advance planning.

All great points! Yeah the year out is getting tickets with points and locking in hotels. I'm a teacher so not only does the summer work perfect but I can spend my free time getting a bunch of deals. Right now we are at under $1000 on airfare, hotels, and car rentals. (Waiting on southwest June rates but have a good idea of what they should be)
Old 08-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #19
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
My wife works for an airline, we fly a lot. If you don't have any bags to carry on, try and be the last ones on the plane. Or just send one parent ahead with the bag to squeeze in. The boarding process is long for young kids, very long. Having them sit there for 20 minutes before the plane even pushes back is a nightmare. We just few to Ireland and I sent my wife on with the 8 year old and the carry on bags, then I waited until last call with the 3 year old. I remember that being really annoying the first time with a 2-5 year old (waiting for the boarding).

Also, bring wet wipes (both antibacterial and non-antibacterial).

Could be a pitfall of Southwest unfortunately. Do they still have the facing seats? Haven't flown in ages!
Old 08-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #20
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
1) You can use a car seat in the seat provided it's aviation approved. It has to say on the actual seat. You may be able to slide one past the flight attendants, but they are supposed to check before you get on the plane.

2) If you don't use it in the seat on the plane they can gate check it for you, where it'll go down below and come back up with your stroller. None of it is an extra charge.

3) Good Luck, others advice will be better than mine. Do your best, and make sure that you have your essential need to have on the plane items in a bag that will fit easily and are easy to get to. Just don't get separated from your essentials.

4) There aren't child rates. Any person over the age of 2 needs to ride in their own seat. So there's no age based price break.

Thanks. Will have to see the car seat situation next summer but good to hear from some in the business.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #21
digamma
Torchbearer

Here's another travel car seat alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/mifold-Grab-B...ar%2Bseat&th=1

I have two of these for my boys and they've changed my travel experience. Both together fit in a pouch in my briefcase or backpack. Really convenient.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:57 AM   #22
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Have an uncle and cousin that both live in Los Angeles. It will sound like a waste of a day but me and my cousin both have six flags passes and dining passes so we are spending one totally free day there. We may actually go down to San Diego for the PCH and Sea World since my wife has never been to California. A lot of beach likely. Any recommendations? Early planning stages obviously.

We did Legoland, Sea World, and the San Diego Zoo, one each day, and it was great. They all loved all of the parks and had a ball.

If your kids are into Legos, have them bring a minifig with them to the park. They can exchange them with anyone in the park for a minifig they're carrying. It's a great deal for getting cool minifigs. The kids all traded multiple times and ended up with kool ones, though my wife and I liked some of the ones they traded away better. They had a new castle area that was due to be ready in 2018.

Sea World is great for the shows. The rides were fun, but after doing Legoland the day before, nothing new.

The zoo was a great time as well, lots of exhibits with a lot of construction going on. The work should be done by next summer.

We drove past Six Flags Magic Mountain on the way here and it looked like a lot of fun, as all Six Flags parks are.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:35 AM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

#2-i don't think you can check kids in as luggage.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #24
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I am not current anymore on this but when my son was younger, we did fly with his car seat (e.g. we bought a ticket for him). TBH, I do not see car seats anymore (?) so think parents just hold the young ones.

No experience with so many kids, sorry!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #25
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

It will depend on where you're staying, exactly, but in LA consider the following:

-Annenberg Community Beach House

-Hike Runyon Canyon, which is near the Walk of Fame, so you can combine this with a Hollywood day.

-I personally love Seaworld.

-Drive up to Malibu

-Santa Monica Pier or Venice Beach walk for people watching

-Take the train up to Santa Barbara for the day
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #26
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Also ... Benadryl is your friend

Dammit...you stole my suggestion.