Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #551
Schmidty
Coordinator

Edit - I was a drunken ass

Last edited by Schmidty : 04-14-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #552
Schmidty
Coordinator

Same as my last post.

Last edited by Schmidty : 04-14-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #553
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Quite honestly, I'm pretty much done with the series after that spoiler. Fucking bullshit.

they're not like 20 page scenes, and they're not really integral to the characters - you could pretty much just skip over that total of like...1 page
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #554
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I've never heard of this dislike for Arya. I always thought that she was one of the POV's people liked the most. I know there's a ton of hate out there for Sansa, Catelyn, and Cersei... But Arya? Huh.

I've always enjoyed Arya's chapters, even in Feast where she starts to veer off a bit from what's going on in Westeros...

Spoiler

I think he's in a similar boat with Tyrion.
Spoiler

Martin's written himself into quite a few corners it seems.
I can't really say that I hate any of the POV characters. But I found Arya's to be the least enjoyable or enticing. I'm not a big fan of Dany's either. I really liked Jon Snow, Tyrion, Jaime and Sansa. Although, in speaking with friends about the books, most of them seem to enjoy the Arya story arc. I guess, to each his/her own.

Two lesser characters I really like are Sandor Clegane and the Viper. I loved the fight between the Viper and Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:03 AM   #555
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Thanks for ruining the fact that Cersei and Dany do that stuff. Fuck.

I'm pretty pissed you didn't spoiler that. Ass.

Quote:
Quite honestly, I'm pretty much done with the series after that spoiler. Fucking bullshit.

Good.

Mission Accomplished. Fuck face.

You want a spoiler? I'll give you a spoiler.

Spoiler
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-27-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #556
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

LOL! Seriously? I mean really, how silly is this. Why don't you save your spoiler outrage for something that actually, you know... affects the plot in some way.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #557
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I've never been a huge fan of the Dany POVs, and Sansa's were terrible until the Littlefinger plotline (remember, there are like 2-3 books of her before then).

Arya has always been fun for me, I like Bran, and of course Tyrion is my absolute favorite. Jon's stuff is good too. I've never really liked the Greyjoy stuff at all, it's probably my least favorite.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #558
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I like Sansa a lot. She's one of the more interesting characters in the story, because her character is transforming in ways that equal or surpass even Dany's. The sweet, beautiful princess is learning what it takes to survive, and she will be more dangerous for it. She will be the anti-Cersi, and their fight will be the stuff of legend.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #559
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Sansa's were terrible until the Littlefinger plotline (remember, there are like 2-3 books of her before then).

I've never really liked the Greyjoy stuff at all, it's probably my least favorite.

good points here. I had forgotten about the Greyjoy plotlines (haha last night in my Westeros: Total War game I wiped out like all the Greyjoy's. Killed the Lord Reaper (and his successor) about 4x over and beseiged their capital - not Pyke b/c I had already captured that - one of their mainland cities - while he was inside and captured it. They then bent the knee to Robb Stark as vassals - they have 1 city left and it's tiny lil Ten Towers).

Anyways - Littlefinger is such a delight to read. Such a Machiavellian schemer! And I second the comment about Sansa being a character who has had a huge arc in terms of growth - I think I made a comment along those lines earlier. And it's really great to see. Because as a little brat she annoyed me, but she's growing into as someone said, the anti-Cersi.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-27-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #560
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
LOL! Seriously? I mean really, how silly is this. Why don't you save your spoiler outrage for something that actually, you know... affects the plot in some way.

Sorry. I had a few drinks for the first time in months, and I am not a happy drunk.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #561
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Sorry. I had a few drinks for the first time in months, and I am not a happy drunk.

It's ok. I didn't take anything you said seriously as should be evident by my response.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #562
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
I like Sansa a lot. She's one of the more interesting characters in the story, because her character is transforming in ways that equal or surpass even Dany's. The sweet, beautiful princess is learning what it takes to survive, and she will be more dangerous for it. She will be the anti-Cersi, and their fight will be the stuff of legend.

That is exactly what I thought. I was kind of hoping that she comes full circle and is the big event in the end. Whatever that may be. Martin did a great job of slowly bringing her along.

Quote:
I've never been a huge fan of the Dany POVs, and Sansa's were terrible until the Littlefinger plotline (remember, there are like 2-3 books of her before then).

Arya has always been fun for me, I like Bran, and of course Tyrion is my absolute favorite. Jon's stuff is good too. I've never really liked the Greyjoy stuff at all, it's probably my least favorite.

Not a big fan of the Greyjoy's either. Although I really liked the storyline when Theon Greyjoy made his move. It was a great read.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #563
Schmidty
Coordinator

I know I asked before:
Spoiler
Old 04-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #564
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

In response to your question, Schmidty...

Where you are at is a bit of a low point, but it gets worse in that regard. Much, much worse... (Though I believe George RR is really beginning to regret some of those decisions, if that makes you feel any better.)

I wont say anything more than that.

It's too bad that the downers are, well, getting you down. I get frustrated many times at the series for all sorts of things, but it never really stopped me from loving the books or enjoying them.

I'm currently listening to my 4th go around in "Clash of Kings" and still love it.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #565
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
In response to your question, Schmidty...

Where you are at is a bit of a low point, but it gets worse in that regard. Much, much worse... (Though I believe George RR is really beginning to regret some of those decisions, if that makes you feel any better.)

Yeah, I think I'll finish the rest of this book, and find a different series to read. When there aren't any characters you care about anymore (other than Jon, Arya and Tyrion - sort of), what's the point of reading the book?

In fact, I'll ask for a spoiler -
Spoiler

Last edited by Schmidty : 04-14-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #566
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

1. I think you're reading some misleading or possibly even untrue spoilers.

2. "Good" is a matter of opinion. There are certainly some cathartic moments amongst the chaos that I enjoyed.

I view it this way: ASoIaF is where LoTR was just after Moria: things are generally in the crapper and hopeless. There's a lot more to go, and things will only begin to look up incrementally, but the payoff will be really good.

Unless Martin dies, of course.
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #567
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Schmidty...
Spoiler
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #568
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Schmidty:

Spoiler

There are still a ton of characters I care about and am interested. In fact, I wont give anything away, but the unbelievable fact of who (in my opinion) is one of coolest and most interesting character in books 3 and 4 is probably one of Martin's greatest achievements.

In addition to still liking many of the characters (including minor ones), I love all the politics, plots, schemes, battles, history, etc.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #569
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If you're thinking of stopping, I'd just stop, and not bother finishing your current book, since each book ends depressingly. If the remaining books end on better notes we'll let you know so you can pick them up again.

Spoiler

One technique for coping that may work better: instead of rooting for the good guys to come through (the "typical" reaction to fantasy stories), root for the bad guys to get their comeuppance (or just to die, horribly).
Old 04-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #570
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
1. I think you're reading some misleading or possibly even untrue spoilers.

2. "Good" is a matter of opinion. There are certainly some cathartic moments amongst the chaos that I enjoyed.

I view it this way: ASoIaF is where LoTR was just after Moria: things are generally in the crapper and hopeless. There's a lot more to go, and things will only begin to look up incrementally, but the payoff will be really good.

Unless Martin dies, of course.

Schmidty, this spoiler has something you may not want to read before you finish.

Spoiler

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #571
Schmidty
Coordinator

Thanks for letting me know. I realize I'm being sort of whiny and babyish, but I just put so much into characters when I read books. I realize everything can't always be perfect in a novel or there would be no point to a story, but I like to see some light.

Meh, I'll probably still read them slowly while I;m reading other books.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #572
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i agree with flere - don't root for particular good guys. just root for the bad folks to get what's coming to them.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #573
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but some bad folks became "good" guys too .
Old 04-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #574
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, but some bad folks became "good" guys too .

Spoiler
Old 04-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #575
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh man, keep reading. I want to see your reaction .

edit: Oh, and when was Tyrion ever bad? Aside from being associated with a crappy family?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-15-2009 at 11:30 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #576
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Tyrion a bad guy?

I know it's sort of initially set up as a Starks/North (good) vs. Lannisters/South (evil), but the beauty of the world is that, for the most part, it's all shades of grey and matter of perspective.

There are a few pretty unreemable monsters (i.e., Gregor Clegane, Vargo Hoat, Amory Lorch, etc.), but most characters are more nuianced than that.

I've always considered Tyrion to be a "good" guy. He just happens to have an incredible asshole for a father, an arrogant prick for a brother, and an insane woman for a sister. Can't pick your family.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:24 AM   #577
Schmidty
Coordinator

I love Tyrion, but he's pretty loyal to that fucked up family (not the people necessarily), so it makes him a gray figure for me. But he's still a character I love reading about. As an aside, one of my best friends back in the late 90's, early '00's before we lost touch a bit was a dwarf, so I always picture him as Tyrion. It's weird.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #578
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I don't think Tyrion's really a bad guy. I think you have to admit that he is setup at least initially as somewhat of a bad guy, but he certainly has his more redemptive moments. He's just been cursed by being allied with a power-hungry father and an incestuous brother/sister. And like most of us, he feels a strong degree of loyalty to that family. It's almost like he hopes that he can finally win his father's love/respect if he is the family's "fixer" for long enough.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #579
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If you like Tyrion as a character, then I would definitely recommend to keep on reading.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #580
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
but he's pretty loyal to that fucked up family
This could be a subtitle for the whole series. And I mean that in a good way!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #581
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
It's almost like he hopes that he can finally win his father's love/respect if he is the family's "fixer" for long enough.

Well..

Spoiler
Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #582
JeeberD
General Manager

Man, now I want to give the series a second reading as soon as I'm done with my current book. Thanks a lot, y'all...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #583
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

So, um, I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned here, from GRRM's "Not A Blog" LiveJournal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRRM
At last it can be told.

The news has finally been made public, so I'm finally free to whoop and holler and share the great news -- the HBO pilot of A GAME OF THRONES will start filming in October, in Northern Ireland. The announcement was made in Belfast. Here you go:

http://www.northernireland.gov.uk/news/news-ofmdfm/news-ofmdfm-210409-hbo-to-film.htm

Yes, I'm thrilled. Ireland should be a great place to film. And the facility we'll be using, the Paint Hall, is amazing as well:

http://www.northernirelandscreen.co.uk/page.asp?id=211

Before it was a film studio, the Paint Hall was part of Belfast's famous Harland & Wolff Shipyards, where the TITANIC and many other ships were constructed. The facility is pretty titanic as well. Of course, all of us connected with A GAME OF THRONES are hoping we'll fare somewhat better on our own maiden voyage.

Yes, Parris and I will be going over to Ireland this fall to see at least part of the filming. Not for the whole shoot, alas, I don't have time for that... but we have to be there for at least part of it. Maybe we'll see some of you in a Belfast pub.

There's lots of other exciting news on the pilot as well, but nothing I can share. Sorry, lips are sealed. You'll have to wait for Mr. Benioff and Mr. Weiss... and HBO.
Looks like it's a LOT closer to happening than I ever thought it'd get. Pretty nifty!!!

/tk
Old 04-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #584
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

cool news!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #585
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dont we have a ASOIAF hbo series thread around here?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #586
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of ASOIAF.. anyone play the RPG? Maybe we should get a FOFC game going some time.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #587
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Dont we have a ASOIAF hbo series thread around here?

I think we do but it was a lot easier to find this one that had been bumped recently.

/tk
Old 04-23-2009, 06:24 AM   #588
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Speaking of ASOIAF.. anyone play the RPG? Maybe we should get a FOFC game going some time.

I had interest in the RPG but never picked up the stuff because I had nobody to play with. A FOFC game could be quite fun.

/tk
Old 04-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #589
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I bought the new one a few weeks ago. I actually have the old one too. I haven't really had a chance to read throught it or anything.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:38 AM   #590
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I was keeping an eye on this one: A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying: Ours is the Fury!

are there others???

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-23-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #591
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I was keeping an eye on this one: A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying: Ours is the Fury!

are there others???

There was one released a few years back, but the company went out of business, so they moved the rights to Green Ronin.

The main rule book was just released last month.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:42 AM   #592
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

*nods* so that is what we're talking about - there's not others out there?

if so - hells yeah I'm down for a FOFC-game. Hella down. Was planning on picking it up anyways.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #593
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Looks like it's a LOT closer to happening than I ever thought it'd get. Pretty nifty!!!

/tk

That is very cool. I didn't really give it much of a shot at all. There is a website (the name escapes me at the moment) that tracks this stuff pretty closely. It's dedicated the (potential) HBO series.

They actually had a link to the PDF of the pilot episode. It runs from the begining of the book to the "The things I do for love" line. It includes the Dany stuff as well.

It was pretty interesting, except for one added scene that was kind of silly. They had this scene between Ned and Jamie during the feast in Winterfell that basically boils down to a machismo pissing match between the "two greatest warriors" in Westeros. It fit Jamie fine, but it seemed so out of character for Ned that it felt off.

Still, I am pretty excited by the prospect of the series. I'd love to see it in action.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #594
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

How would an FOFC RPG thing work? I'd be totally down assuming the logistics are workable.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 04-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #595
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Out of curiosity, does anyone have the board game? I received it as a gift a month or two ago, but hadn't had a chance to delve into the rules much less play it.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #596
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
How would an FOFC RPG thing work? I'd be totally down assuming the logistics are workable.

Easiest way is IRC.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #597
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Oh so it would be a real-time thing. I'm gonna have to bow out. I was thinking maybe it would happen via email or something.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #598
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Maybe it could be done at a slower pace that way - idk

As far the boardgame - don't have it, but want it!
Old 04-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #599
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

So HBO's going to film a miniseries based on a book that basically ends on a cliffhanger, with the books that resolve the questions posed in the first book not even written? Really?
Old 04-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #600
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
So HBO's going to film a miniseries based on a book that basically ends on a cliffhanger, with the books that resolve the questions posed in the first book not even written? Really?

I figure it's going to take Martin at least 7-8 years to finish up the series (figure 4-5 years for the next book, 3-4 years for the last one). If HBO puts out a book's worth of episodes a year, they will be waiting for the last book to finish before doing the final season.

Granted there are a lot of assumptions here.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote