Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #601
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And remember how long it takes HBO to get new seasons out for a show (Sopranos fans know what I'm talking about).
Old 04-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #602
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'll be surprised if it's just two more books.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #603
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
So HBO's going to film a miniseries based on a book that basically ends on a cliffhanger, with the books that resolve the questions posed in the first book not even written? Really?

Ummmm....I've been watching the Tudors. It is real enjoyable, but you pretty much know who is going to die and how (because, you know, it's like history and stuff). People who have read the books will be enthralled to see how it'll play out on the HBO version, and those who haven't are going to get some big surprises.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #604
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

If it really ends up happening, it will be interesting to see how they make it work. Do they do the dire wolves in CGI?

You also have the fact that one of the main characters, Jamie Lannister, who is built up as one of main "villains" in the first "season" is pretty much non-existent in the second "season".

Dinklage for Tyrion!

Other than that bit of casting... No real clue. I have much faith in the HBO casting people. They did a marvelous job with The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, etc.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #605
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Easiest way is IRC.

IRC does make sense, though I think a PBeM or a thread here in Dynasty could work, as well.

Anyone have a link for the actual RPG stuff?
And the board game? That's something I'd never get to play with anyone local, but would be cool to have.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #606
Schmidty
Coordinator

I would do the RPG, but I guess that there would be a ton of spoilers since I'm only on A Storm of Swords.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #607
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I'll be surprised if it's just two more books.

I think he was originally saying three- maybe four more books and that was before he had to split the last one in two second of which is not out yet. So for arguments sake lets say XMAS this year Dance dragons is out and that leaves at least 2 more at 4 years each(lets be optimists) that puts it at about 2018-19 for wrap of the novels. Martin is 60 now so he would be 71 when the books are done IF he keeps it to just two more if it is more than two I doubt he is able to complete the series. Maybe if the series does well he can be pushed by HBO to finish the series. The series could be like the Legend of the Seeker series on now adays based some what loosely on the COMPLETED Goodkind series Sword Of Truth.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #608
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I would do the RPG, but I guess that there would be a ton of spoilers since I'm only on A Storm of Swords.

While obviously the setting is flexible, the RPG is supposed to take place during King Robert's reign.

I'd let you play Moon Boy.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #609
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

*evil cackle* MOON BOY!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #610
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I figure it's going to take Martin at least 7-8 years to finish up the series (figure 4-5 years for the next book, 3-4 years for the last one). If HBO puts out a book's worth of episodes a year, they will be waiting for the last book to finish before doing the final season.

Granted there are a lot of assumptions here.

Man, I wish I had your optimism.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:35 AM   #611
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
If it really ends up happening, it will be interesting to see how they make it work. Do they do the dire wolves in CGI?

I'm thinking Irish Wolfhounds utilizing canine growth hormone.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #612
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I had interest in the RPG but never picked up the stuff because I had nobody to play with. A FOFC game could be quite fun.

/tk

That could be really fun. I havent' checked out the RPG, but I've played a lot through IRC and e-mail. I'd be up for it.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #613
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Man, I wish I had your optimism.

Are you purposefully overlooking the 'at least' in the above? There were so many assumptions in that post it was probably not worth writing as it is.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #614
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
While obviously the setting is flexible, the RPG is supposed to take place during King Robert's reign.

I'd let you play Moon Boy.
Dibs on Hodor!

By the way, I have the boardgame, Jamie (big surprise).
Old 04-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #615
Ramzavail
College Starter

Just bought the first book tonight, I remember this thread when I was in B&N and went for it.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #616
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
Just bought the first book tonight, I remember this thread when I was in B&N and went for it.

congrats! you're in for a wild ride! love to hear your impressions as you read - it's always enjoyable
Old 05-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #617
3ric
College Starter

Has anyone else seen this? Amazon.co.uk list "Dance of Dragons" as available from October 29th, 2009.
A Dance with Dragons: Book 5 of a Song of Ice and Fire: George R.R. Martin: Amazon.co.uk: Books

I'm pre-ordering right now.

Last edited by 3ric : 05-04-2009 at 07:24 AM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #618
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric View Post
Anyone have seen this? Amazon.co.uk list "Dance of Dragons" as available from October 29th, 2009.
A Dance with Dragons: Book 5 of a Song of Ice and Fire: George R.R. Martin: Amazon.co.uk: Books

I have a feeling that this might just be publisher wishful thinking. I haven't seen GRRM post on his "Not A Blog" LiveJournal or his website that he's done, and he's assured us that he'll let us know the instant it's done. Granted, I haven't checked them in a couple of days, but it strikes me that if they were to release it on 10/29, it'd probably be in the publisher's hands right now.

/tk
Old 05-04-2009, 07:31 AM   #619
3ric
College Starter

It could be. Oh well, I should get email updates from amazon when the release date is pushed ahead.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:40 AM   #620
Coder
College Prospect

Having just read Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series (first three books), and then watching the first few episodes of the series, I'm seriously worried about how the HBO-series for SOIAF will turn out.

Now, I'm fully aware of the fact that HBO is a whole different beast than ABC, but if producers/writers decide to have this much "creative freedom" when adapting a book series for the small screen I'm just appalled.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:40 AM   #621
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I have a feeling that this might just be publisher wishful thinking. I haven't seen GRRM post on his "Not A Blog" LiveJournal or his website that he's done, and he's assured us that he'll let us know the instant it's done. Granted, I haven't checked them in a couple of days, but it strikes me that if they were to release it on 10/29, it'd probably be in the publisher's hands right now.

/tk

GRRM's blog posts have been pretty specific on this point - if you see any date before he announces the book is done on his website, it is indeed the marketing department giving the distributor a placeholder date so that they can have the book in their database.

Its NOT going to be out in October. I am pretty sure that the author's latest, sure to be missed, I hope to have it done by date is the end of the summer.

I actually think October 2010 is a reasonable expectation for the book to be published.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #622
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric View Post
Has anyone else seen this? Amazon.co.uk list "Dance of Dragons" as available from October 29th, 2009.

I'm pre-ordering right now.

Dude... last year at this time, Amazon had the book available "October 29th, 2008". And I'm not joking.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #623
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's merely Amazon putting a placeholder in their database.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #624
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

First bit of actual casting news...

Two will play HBO's 'Game'

Two will play HBO's 'Game'

Director McCarthy, actor Dinklage in for pilot

By Nellie Andreeva
May 5, 2009, 11:00 PM ET

Tom McCarthy has come aboard to direct HBO's fantasy pilot "Game of Thrones," on which the star of his first feature, "The Station Agent's" Peter Dinklage, has been tapped for a key role.

Based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling "Songs of Fire and Ice" novels, "Thrones" is described as an epic struggle for power set in a vast and violent fantasy kingdom. Dinklage will play Tyrion, the Queen's brother who is treated as an outsier because of his size.

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss penned the pilot script and are exec producing. HBO Entertainment president-turned-producer Carolyn Strauss, Management 360's Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, Ralph Vicinanza and Martin serve as co-exec producers, and Mark Huffam and Frank Doelger are producers.

"Thrones" is slated to film in the third quarter in Belfast, Northern Ireland, in what the country's First Minister Peter Robinson hails as "the first TV production of such vast size and scale that has been filmed in Northern Ireland."

Dinklage, repped by manager David Ginsberg and attorney Karl Austen, is filming two features: the indie "Pete Smalls Is Dead," which he also co-produces, and Screen Gems/Sidney Kimmel's remake of "Death at a Funeral."

"Thrones" marks the first TV directorial gig for the Gersh-repped McCarthy, an actor who wrote and directed two features, 2003's "Station Agent" and 2007's "The Visitor," both of which landed him Indie Spirit Awards. On the acting side, McCarthy next appears in "2012."

----------------------

Dinklage was always the first choice for Tyrion. That's awesome news.

I loved the "Station Agent" and "The Visitor" has been sitting next to my TV for a month now. Sounds like HBO is doing what it does best, attempting to put quality people behind and in its series.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #625
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Some interesting news. So far, based on what I've seen of their "Blood Bowl" game, I've been impressed.

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/?rub=node&nid=806
Cyanide Acquires Interactive Rights for George R. R. Martin’s
‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ series

CYANIDE, A FRENCH VIDEO GAME STUDIO, SECURES INTERACTIVE RIGHTS TO GEORGE R. R. MARTIN’S BESTSELLING ‘A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE’ SERIES

First-Ever ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ Video Games to Bring Classic Fantasy Series to Life

Nanterre, France – 12th May 2009

Cyanide, an independent video game studio, and George R. R. Martin today announced their partnership to create the first-ever video games inspired by the author’s award-winning, international bestselling ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ fantasy series.

Under the terms of the agreement, Cyanide has obtained the exclusive rights to develop ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ video games for next-generation consoles and PC, and in collaboration with George R.R Martin, development has begun.

«We are all huge fans of ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’, so it is a true honour for our teams to be entrusted with creating the first video games inspired by this masterpiece» stated Patrick Pligersdorffer, Managing Director of Cyanide. «The twists and turns of the plot will allow us to deliver an experience which can be enjoyed by both long-time fans as well as gamers new to the series.»

Published most notably by Bantam Books in North America and Voyager Books in the United Kingdom, the ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ novels have been translated into more than twenty languages (including Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Russian) and have been nominated for numerous prizes. Set in a world where nothing is simply black and white, the rich web of characters makes it an ideal background for numerous genres of video games.

‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ has already been adapted into a card game and a board game. More recently, HBO acquired the rights with the intent of turning the novels into a television series.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #626
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Cyanide, an independent video game studio, and George R. R. Martin today announced their partnership to create the first-ever video games inspired by the author’s award-winning, international bestselling ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ fantasy series.

‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ has already been adapted into a card game and a board game. More recently, HBO acquired the rights with the intent of turning the novels into a television series.

Card game, board game, video game, tv series. This series is everywhere.....

Except, you know, books.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #627
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

video game? for pc? sweet

and i need to get my ass back to my westeros:total war work
Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #628
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Card game, board game, video game, tv series. This series is everywhere.....

Except, you know, books.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #629
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Cyanide is the folks doing the upcoming Blood Bowl Game, btw
Old 05-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #630
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

aren't they the french company that does the pro cycling manager game too?

and aren't they like in <3 with StarForce copy protection?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #631
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
video game? for pc? sweet

and i need to get my ass back to my westeros:total war work

I hope it is arole playing strategy game and not some lame ass EA style first person 15 scripted mission game.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #632
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i hope so too
Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #633
kurtism
High School Varsity

George RR Martin is not your bitch...

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/0...nt-issues.html
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #634
Tigercat
College Starter

I would never be a person to really complain about a long awaited novel, but I think Gaiman has it wrong. He does work for his readers.

I write in my spare time. It is in the realm of small possibilities that one day my current crap will evolve into something publishable. If that happens, and if I somehow develop a base of loyal fans that pay my bills through their purchases, I hope I recognize that I *do* work for their support.

The key is letting your supporters know where things stand as best as possible, to treat them as the supporters that they are, not feeling the need to acquiesce to their demands and truly become their bitch.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #635
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
George RR Martin is not your bitch...

Neil Gaiman's Journal: Entitlement issues...

I've never really read too much of Gaiman's stuff, but I think this is the second thing today that I've read from him (another was interview about something or other) that made me smile. I like this Neil Gaiman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
I would never be a person to really complain about a long awaited novel, but I think Gaiman has it wrong. He does work for his readers.

The key is letting your supporters know where things stand as best as possible, to treat them as the supporters that they are, not feeling the need to acquiesce to their demands and truly become their bitch.

Personally, I think Martin does an excellent job with this. I've heard him speak a few times and I know friends of mine who have emailed him with some requests (signing a book, etc.) and he's always been incredibly personable and gone above and beyond the call of duty.

To be honest, I think has let his supporters "know where things stand as best as possible." I just don't think he knows where things stand.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #636
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've never really read too much of Gaiman's stuff, but I think this is the second thing today that I've read from him (another was interview about something or other) that made me smile. I like this Neil Gaiman.

Personally, I think Martin does an excellent job with this. I've heard him speak a few times and I know friends of mine who have emailed him with some requests (signing a book, etc.) and he's always been incredibly personable and gone above and beyond the call of duty.

To be honest, I think has let his supporters "know where things stand as best as possible." I just don't think he knows where things stand.

Gaiman's a very interesting character. I generally like his stuff. I recommend American Gods and Neverwhere (for sure), maybe some others. He also did Stardust, which came out a couple years as a movie, and Coraline, the stop motion animation kid's movie earlier this year. He does creepy-style stuff, kinda like a Tim Burton for writers.

I tend to agree with his general point on Martin. My issue with Martin isn't whether or not he does the work--it's with him saying he's going to get it done by such and such date and repeatedly fail to deliver. At least now I think he's going with the "it will be done when it's done" line, which he should have done from the start.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #637
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Gaiman's a very interesting character. I generally like his stuff. I recommend American Gods and Neverwhere (for sure), maybe some others. He also did Stardust, which came out a couple years as a movie, and Coraline, the stop motion animation kid's movie earlier this year. He does creepy-style stuff, kinda like a Tim Burton for writers.

I am very familiar with Gaiman's work, just have never read any of it. Well, I do have the first trade paperback for the "Sandman" series. I need to finish that and determine if I want to continue. I feel like it's a hole in my comic book knowledge.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #638
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
My issue with Martin isn't whether or not he does the work--it's with him saying he's going to get it done by such and such date and repeatedly fail to deliver. At least now I think he's going with the "it will be done when it's done" line, which he should have done from the start.

Oh, and American Gods is one of my favorite books, ever, but Good Omens is even better.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #639
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

+2

I mean no one gets on Blizzard's back for releasing Starcraft 2 so much later... It's because they don't get the fans hopes up by saying it'll be released so and so and then blowing past it.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #640
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Cautiously optimistic?
Not A Blog - Guarded Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRRM
I almost hate to say anything here, for fear of jinxing it... but for what it's worth, the last six weeks or so have been the most productive period I've had on A DANCE WITH DRAGONS in... well... a year at least, maybe several. In the last three days I've completed three new chapters. Not from scratch, mind you, these were all chapters that had been partially written, and in some cases rewritten, for months if not years. But they're finally done, and I've just reread them, and I'm almost convinced that they're Not Crap.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Anyway, I know I don't talk about DANCE frequently here, and that's not going to change. Sorry, but I'm never going to be one of these writers who blogs daily about how many words they produced today. I don't like to talk about the good days for fear of jinxing myself (all writers are superstitious at heart, just like baseball players), and I don't like to talk about the bad days... well, just because. Writing is like sausage making in my view; you'll all be happier in the end if you just eat the final product without knowing what's gone into it.

But I am making a small exception now because... well, I'm feeling rather jazzed right now, and for the first time in a very long while, I think I can see a glimmering that might just be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Now if I can only slash through the Meereenese knot that I've been worrying at since 2005, I may actually start to get excited.

/tk
Old 06-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #641
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Cautiously optimistic?
Not A Blog - Guarded Optimism

/tk

Yeah, I saw that today. I'm glad to hear things clicked for him.

Still, as I think I've mentioned here before, whenever he gives an update about finishing a few chapters here or there, this exchange from the "Princess Bride" always runs through my head:

Fezzik: You just shook your head... doesn't that make you happy?

Westley: My brains, his steel, and your strength against sixty men, and you think a little head jiggle is supposed to make me happy?
Old 06-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #642
Schmidty
Coordinator

My wife grabbed my copy of "A Game of Thrones" over the weekend, and is hooked. She's a lover of happy endings, so I told her to not get too attached to anyone or any situation.

I've been done for 3 weeks or so, and I'm still conflicted. Part of me loved the books, but part of me feels unfulfilled (not just because the series isn't done). I really don't think the author will ever finish the series, which sucks. As slow as he is writing, and the fact that there are so many threads of the story that aren't even close to being resolved gives me little hope of resolution.

Last edited by Schmidty : 06-23-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #643
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
My wife grabbed my copy of "A Game of Thrones" over the weekend, and is hooked. She's a lover of happy endings, so I told her to not get too attached to anyone or any situation.

I've been done for 3 weeks or so, and I'm still conflicted. Part of me loved the books, but part of me feels unfulfilled (not just because the series isn't done). I really don't think the author will ever finish the series, which sucks. As slow as he is writing, and the fact that there are so many threads of the story that aren't even close to being resolved gives me little hope of resolution.

I have similar concerns. He's certainly written himself into many, many corners and, I think, that's one of the big reasons this last book is taking so long. There are a number of issues that I just don't know how he resolves. Some of the bigger ones, to me at least, are: How does Tyrion become relevant again? How does Arya become relevant? Bran? Dany's dragons? For the last three it's really just a matter of time, but given how slowly time has moved and how many things from the last book demmand immediate attention (the fates of Arya, Brienne, Cersei, and Sansa) , I don't see how time will progress quick enough to get them in a position they need to be (i.e., Bran mastering whatever the hell he's supposed to master, Arya becoming an actual Faceless Man, unless this whole thing is just some frolic and detour, and Dany's dragons being large enough to be ridden into battle and effective at doing so).

For Tyrion, I'm not sure what he'll do. What value is he to anyone other than as a way to gain favor from the Lannisters in the form of bringing them his head? The only thing that made him a "player" was his family's wealth and power. He doesn't have that anymore. All he is now is a witty, smart, ugly and horribly scarred dwarf with a large price on his mishapen head.

Quote:

Poor, Mrs. Schmidty. She sounds like a young Sansa, her head full of songs and stories. She might just quit right around the end of book one. Many people, myself included, found that very upsetting.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-23-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #644
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that today. I'm glad to hear things clicked for him.

Still, as I think I've mentioned here before, whenever he gives an update about finishing a few chapters here or there, this exchange from the "Princess Bride" always runs through my head:

Fezzik: You just shook your head... doesn't that make you happy?

Westley: My brains, his steel, and your strength against sixty men, and you think a little head jiggle is supposed to make me happy?

LOL! Perfect quote to use in the situation... especially since I was like, ok, three chapters in three days... how many total chapters have you done over the six weeks? Four?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #645
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Optimistic? From what I read, I don't expect him to fulfill his prediction of having the book out this year (I know, there's a surprise to everyone, only Daivd Winter has been more accurate with his predictions). I will say, despite everything I've been cautiously optimistic he would finish the series before dying, but when I read stuff like:

Quote:
Now if I can only slash through the Meereenese knot that I've been worrying at since 2005, I may actually start to get excited.

Or earlier when he talked about finishing a Bran chapter he'd been working on for 3 years, well, I guess I am changing to realism that he simply won't be able to finish the series. It's a shame and I wish he was more into his series as he apparently has been the past six weeks, but on the other hand, I give him credit for only wanting to put out books that meet what he considers to be high quality.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #646
Schmidty
Coordinator

I hope that if he ever realizes that he won't finish, that he at least gives a brief outline of what happens to resolve everything.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #647
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think it has to dawn on him sometimes soon (if not already) that he's going to die before the series is finished.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #648
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
I have similar concerns. He's certainly written himself into many, many corners and, I think, that's one of the big reasons this last book is taking so long. There are a number of issues that I just don't know how he resolves. Some of the bigger ones, to me at least, are: How does Tyrion become relevant again? How does Arya become relevant? Bran? Dany's dragons? For the last three it's really just a matter of time, but given how slowly time has moved and how many things from the last book demmand immediate attention (the fates of Arya, Brienne, Cersei, and Sansa) , I don't see how time will progress quick enough to get them in a position they need to be (i.e., Bran mastering whatever the hell he's supposed to master, Arya becoming an actual Faceless Man, unless this whole thing is just some frolic and detour, and Dany's dragons being large enough to be ridden into battle and effective at doing so).

For Tyrion, I'm not sure what he'll do. What value is he to anyone other than as a way to gain favor from the Lannisters in the form of bringing them his head? The only thing that made him a "player" was his family's wealth and power. He doesn't have that anymore. All he is now is a witty, smart, ugly and horribly scarred dwarf with a large price on his mishapen head.

Poor, Mrs. Schmidty. She sounds like a young Sansa, her head full of songs and stories. She might just quit right around the end of book one. Many people, myself included, found that very upsetting.

Tyrion's man Braun has quite a lot of gold. With the throne in question for now, and some gold, they can raise and army and stake a claim. If he can ally with Jamie...who knows?

As for Bran or Arya, I figure Arya will end up running a band of rebels, and Bran will do "something" with the northmen. Add Dany and her people into the mix, and you can have a hell of a wrap-up! but if he keeps on his no-mercy style of storytelling, Bran and Arya will end up dead, with Jamie fighting off an invasion from Dany.

I'm looking forward to reading it.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #649
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

While there's no new news on "A Dance With Dragons" there's been a lot of casting news with respect to the HBO show.

Not A Blog

The biggest piece of news is the casting of Sean Bean (Boromir) as Ned Stark. It's a great choice. I thought he was fantastic as Boromir (just watched the first LOTR movie again few weeks back).

Robert Baratheon has also been cast. He's being played by Mark Addy. I've only ever seen a few minutes of a "Kinght's Tale", but I don't recall much from his performance.

There is also casting news on Jon Snow, Joffrey Baratheon, and Viserys Targaryen. A bunch of younger actors who really haven't done anything.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #650
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
While there's no new news on "A Dance With Dragons" there's been a lot of casting news with respect to the HBO show.

Not A Blog

The biggest piece of news is the casting of Sean Bean (Boromir) as Ned Stark. It's a great choice. I thought he was fantastic as Boromir (just watched the first LOTR movie again few weeks back).

Robert Baratheon has also been cast. He's being played by Mark Addy. I've only ever seen a few minutes of a "Kinght's Tale", but I don't recall much from his performance.

There is also casting news on Jon Snow, Joffrey Baratheon, and Viserys Targaryen. A bunch of younger actors who really haven't done anything.

Love Sean Bean, but I might almost think he'd work better as say...Jaime? After LOTR he definately has the stage-combat skills to do all the fighting, and he's the calibre of actor who they need for a role like that. Maybe he's not quite "pretty enough" for that role though.

And yeah...it'll suck to see him playing ANOTHER character who gets killed early. But maybe part of the thinking is that casting him as Ned will increase the emotional resonance of the viewer's reaction (as most viewers are likely to recognize him from LOTR) and make it that much more intense and get people to tune in.

Mark Addy I don't recognize the name or the face. But okay.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-20-2009 at 09:50 AM.