Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #2601
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
I don't know if it counts as a "movie" or not, but

R. Kelly's Trapped in the Closet 9/10 This is good in the way that Ed Wood movies are good, except way, way more so. A soap opera with terrible lyrics and bad singing. Would watch again!

Oh my god a rubber.....rubber.....rubber....rubber....
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #2602
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I keep forgetting recent movies I saw:

Enchanted - 7/10: Actually a VERY good romcom. The idea of Disney cartoon characters coming to our world and trying to figure out things actually worked and worked well. Amy Adams was great in the main role as well. And the "romance" part worked well, especially the contrast between the Disney romance ("they kissed" *gasp*) and the real world romances (wanting to try dating and whatnot).

I thought this was pretty fun as well. I expected it to just be flat out unwatchable but it wasn't bad at all.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:22 PM   #2603
samifan24
Pro Starter

Play Misty for Me - 7/10: Clint Eastwood's directorial debut is a taut psychological thriller. Jessica Walter is great as the obsessed fan. Worth checking out.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #2604
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Cloverfield: 7/10

Held my attention throughout its short running time, which is all I ask. Pretty good effects, acting was decent but unspectacular - probably better on the small screen with the shaky camera work but overall, an enjoyable 80 minutes.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:21 AM   #2605
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Stepbrothers

1/10

Worst. Movie. Ever.

Seriously, I laughed out loud a couple of times, but I think it was because I felt sorry for Will Ferrell. A little surprised by all of the swearing too. This movie was not even over the top but modestly funny like most of his stuff, it was just awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:49 AM   #2606
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Stepbrothers

1/10

Worst. Movie. Ever.

Seriously, I laughed out loud a couple of times, but I think it was because I felt sorry for Will Ferrell. A little surprised by all of the swearing too. This movie was not even over the top but modestly funny like most of his stuff, it was just awful.

I love this movie.

Boats and hoes! Boats and hoes!
Old 12-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #2607
Lorena
Unregistered

Wanted 8.5/10

Bullets bending bullets, sick unreal crazy actions scenes... a very fun movie to watch.

Australia - 5.5/10

I think cutting about 40 minutes of the movie would have worked, the first 2 hours were good, but the last hour seemed to drag for me. When I start wondering what time it is and that we gotta pick up the kids, the movie didn't do the job.

Last edited by Lorena : 12-07-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #2608
MrDNA
High School Varsity

3:10 to Yuma (remake) 2/10 A great, great premise for a movie with nice cinematography, great sets, gaping plot holes and paper thin characters with questionable motivations. My girlfriend wouldn't let me turn it off halfway through and for this, we have broken up.

OK, not really. But it's been the worst 2 hours of my life for a long time.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #2609
rowech
Pro Starter

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (7.5/10) -- Mostly because I'm not a huge fan of Westerns. Newman and Redford had such an amazing raport with each other in one of my favorite movies The Sting, I felt I needed to watch this. Definitely some good stuff...dated a little and a western though.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #2610
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wanted - 7/10: A fun blockbuster. McAvoy was excellent in the main role and the twist was also pretty cool. Great special effects, great music, and McAvoy kicked some ass.

Milk - 8/10: A very well done movie on the history of the life of Harvey Milk. They interspersed a lot of the action with archival footage and painted a very good portrait of the man and his times. Sean Penn was brilliant and deserves a Best Picture Award. Though I thought it was a bit long and that may hurt it somewhat during awards time, but I'm not sure what I'd cut out.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #2611
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Proposition - 9/10 The Australian Western movie. The mixture of amazing music, beautiful cinematogrophy and awesome violence is something special.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #2612
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Proposition - 9/10 The Australian Western movie. The mixture of amazing music, beautiful cinematogrophy and awesome violence is something special.

Cool, I have this movie and have not watched it yet. I'll have to pull it out of the pile and give it a watch.

Last edited by Grammaticus : 12-07-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #2613
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (7.5/10) -- Mostly because I'm not a huge fan of Westerns. Newman and Redford had such an amazing raport with each other in one of my favorite movies The Sting, I felt I needed to watch this. Definitely some good stuff...dated a little and a western though.

I love this movie. A note of trivia, I heard Steve McQueen was originally offerred Redford's role as Sundance. He supposedly turned it down because he could not get the revenue split that he wanted (percentage of gross). Something about how much he was getting in relation to Newman. The story goes, McQueen took that same revenue split to make The Towering Inferno (McQueen and Newman star) a few years later.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #2614
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Milk - 8/10: A very well done movie on the history of the life of Harvey Milk. They interspersed a lot of the action with archival footage and painted a very good portrait of the man and his times. Sean Penn was brilliant and deserves a Best Picture Award. Though I thought it was a bit long and that may hurt it somewhat during awards time, but I'm not sure what I'd cut out.

Only 2 theaters out here are showing it, total bummer but I'm anxious to watch it on DVD. I also heard Sean Penn's performance was awesome.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #2615
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I saw it at the only theater showing it in Atlanta (only ONE, in ATLANTA, are you kidding me?!). I don't know what exactly is going on with "Milk". It appears there are exclusive deals with theaters or something? This was supposed to be the weekend of the wide release!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:51 PM   #2616
Buccaneer
Head Coach

They wanted to get Milk into the Oscar time period and a wider release is planned for January or February, away from the typical holiday movies.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:20 AM   #2617
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
They wanted to get Milk into the Oscar time period and a wider release is planned for January or February, away from the typical holiday movies.

to be eligible i believe it only has to screen in 1 theater before dec 31st. pretty loose rules there...
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:50 AM   #2618
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Slumdog Millionaire - 9.6/10 - Stunningly beautiful. A great story told exceedingly well, never slow or sappy. Everything about it was just about perfect - the plot was fun to follow, the acting was great, the cuts from present to the past were spot on - just a joy to behold. The best movie I've seen in years. You are really doing yourself a disservice if you miss this.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #2619
KWhit
Coordinator

Once - 8/10

I really enjoyed this. Quirky characters; great music. Kind of light on the story, but it didn't matter. It just worked.

It's billed as a "contemporary musical," which I guess is as good a description as any. But it wasn't a musical in the sense that the characters burst into song for no reason. The characters are musicians, and the music takes place naturally in the story. I like the music from it a lot - in fact one of the songs "Falling Slowly" is quite popular and won the Academy Award last year for best song.

Good stuff.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #2620
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Slumdog Millionaire - 9.6/10 - Stunningly beautiful. A great story told exceedingly well, never slow or sappy. Everything about it was just about perfect - the plot was fun to follow, the acting was great, the cuts from present to the past were spot on - just a joy to behold. The best movie I've seen in years. You are really doing yourself a disservice if you miss this.

I'd love to see this...just gotta find a theater that's playing it.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #2621
rowech
Pro Starter

Librarian: The Curse of the Judas Chalice (6.5/10) -- Didn't enjoy this one as much as the others. I don't know why I find these movies enjoyable.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #2622
KWhit
Coordinator

The Strangers - 7/10

This really scared the shit out of me, and I don't scare easily. It suffered from the common horror character stupidity, though. I kept screaming at the TV, "Turn on some lights, idiot!" or "Pick up the knife/gun/baseball bat/whatever!" but that kind of goes with the genre. Other than that, I thought it was very effective.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #2623
molson
General Manager

Quote:
[b]

Milk - 9/10

The theater in Boise was absolutely packed for this, I'm so glad we have an "artsy" theater here that gets stuff like this and slumdog millionaire so early.

I was relucant to see it, figured it would just be a preachy gay movement movie where everyone would gush over Sean Penn just because of the content. But the movie works as both a portrayal of the 70s gay movement, and also as an interesting political rise-to-power story. Just a great story - I can't believe we didn't see it on the screen before 2008.

And of course, Penn's great. He's reached that Daniel Day Lewis level where it's just really interesting to watch him work.

I was thinking towards the end they could have shaved 15 minutes. There's nothing that doesn't really work, but it felt just a tad slow.

Last edited by molson : 12-14-2008 at 11:10 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #2624
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

re: Milk, I was a bit upset also by the veiled references to Dan White being a closet case, even though there is no proof for it. While being a friend of the gay movement, this tendency to label every super-anti-gay person as closeted gets on my nerves.

Anyway,

I Am Legend - 5/10 (alternative ending 6/10): A good vampire movie for 2/3rs of its length. Smith's loneliness, being the last person alive in NY was very well done, and how he gets by (his interactions with the mannequins in the video store are great). But it falls apart in the end. Alternative ending does it better, but even better would have been a combination of the two.

Brokeback Mountain - 9/10: I cannot believe its taken me this long to see it, but a masterpiece of filmmaking. The tensions between the love the Ennis and Jack's love for each other and realizing that it couldn't work in the real world (especially in Wyoming and West Texas) was just brilliantly done. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhal really did a great job showing those emotions (even if half the time I could barely understand what they were saying). Michelle Williams and Ann Hathaway also did very well in their roles as the wives. All in all, beautifully acted and very well done story about, basically, star crossed lovers.

3:10 to Yuma - 6/10: Kind of cookie-cuter-ish western. Russell Crowe was absolutely wonderful as Ben Wade, while Christian Bale kind of faded away in the background (like he does in The Dark Knight, come to think of it). It's the kind of movie that shows you just what a screen presense Crowe is. Though the ending was stupid, real stupid. Cinematography was really good, though. May I also add, this was one of the movies that like to make the dialogue sound reaaaaly low, forcing me to activate the dialogue enhancer on my BD player... why do movies have to do that? We don't want to have to strain our ears to hear the dialogue and then jump back when an explosion happens. The audio was horrible. Maybe it was just the BD disc?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-14-2008 at 12:38 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #2625
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Yup, so am I.

The Dark Night 7/10

I think the 9.5 rating in IMDB is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high. Granted, the action scenes were awesome and Heath Ledger was pretty incredible but still, too high. Ledger added his own little flavor with the lip smacking and mannerisms, but I'm not sure we should give him the Oscar yet.

I also felt it was half an hour too long and some parts were predictable. And I just couldn't get past Bale's voice when he played the Batman role... the low, deep voice was a little exaggerated and forced. Some guys can pull off a voice like that, but he can't. He did very well playing the "Playboy" Bruce Wayne, though.

Damn I can't believe I rated it so low, I must have written the review shortly after seeing it and after all the hype I felt it deserved this rating, but now I think it's more like a 9. Our 8 year old saw it and she was glued every time Ledger was on saying she felt "slightly disturbed" at his performance.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #2626
rowech
Pro Starter

Charlie Wilson's War -- (9/10) -- Not for everyone but I really liked this movie. Sorry I waited so long to see it. Hoffman (I think that's his name) is fantastic. Not a huge fan of Julia Roberts so she didn't dazzle me and Hanks is his normal, likeable self. Good movie.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #2627
Buccaneer
Head Coach

We got about 10 DVDs coming for Christmas, so hopefully I can catch up soon.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #2628
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Charlie Wilson's War -- (9/10) -- Not for everyone but I really liked this movie. Sorry I waited so long to see it. Hoffman (I think that's his name) is fantastic. Not a huge fan of Julia Roberts so she didn't dazzle me and Hanks is his normal, likeable self. Good movie.

I'm really happy this is on cable now. Saw it on an early DVD and loved it. Been watching it a ton when it's on. The scene with Gust (Hoffman) going in and out of Charlie's office is one of the best I've ever seen.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #2629
MikeVic
Head Coach

The House Bunny - 7.5/10
This was better than I expected. It helped that there were actresses I liked (the girl from Super Bad, and Kat Dennings), and used some music I liked. The basic story is that a playboy bunny gets kicked out of the mansion, and ends up being a "guide" for a fraternity. There are some pretty funny lines and scenes, but the dumbness of Anna Faris' character is a bit much sometimes.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #2630
st.cronin
General Manager

Shaolin Soccer - 8/10

Very, very funny.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #2631
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We got about 10 DVDs coming for Christmas, so hopefully I can catch up soon.

Hmm, most people have family over for X-mas.

Guess I can't argue with your way of doing it, though.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:43 AM   #2632
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Shaolin Soccer - 8/10

Very, very funny.

You only watched it NOW!?

Go grab Kung Fu Hustle as well! Stephen Chow = comedy gold.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:01 AM   #2633
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
You only watched it NOW!?

Go grab Kung Fu Hustle as well! Stephen Chow = comedy gold.

Heh, I'd been intending to see it since I first heard about it when it came out. But I just never got around to it.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #2634
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Shaolin Soccer - 8/10

Very, very funny.

Now is the one review I have to vehemently disagree with. I put Kung Fu Hustle in my top 15-20, so I love Stephen Chow and eagerly anticipate Kung Fu Hustle 2. After seeing that, I watched Shaolin Soccer and felt it was one of the most embarrassing movies I've seen and found almost nothing funny. Interesting what one finds funny or does not, esp. when comparing very similar works, huh?

Shaolin Soccer - 1/10
Kung Fu Hustle - 9/10
Old 12-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #2635
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hmm, most people have family over for X-mas.

Guess I can't argue with your way of doing it, though.

The closest relatives are my family on the West Coast, with my wife's family in South Florida. Both of our parents are quite elderly and rarely travels anymore.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #2636
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Now is the one review I have to vehemently disagree with. I put Kung Fu Hustle in my top 15-20, so I love Stephen Chow and eagerly anticipate Kung Fu Hustle 2. After seeing that, I watched Shaolin Soccer and felt it was one of the most embarrassing movies I've seen and found almost nothing funny. Interesting what one finds funny or does not, esp. when comparing very similar works, huh?

Shaolin Soccer - 1/10
Kung Fu Hustle - 9/10

Did you watch the english dubbed version or the original with subtitles?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #2637
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Last edited by thesloppy : 12-15-2008 at 11:11 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #2638
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Juno - 5/10

This might just be a case of overly elevated expectations, but this was built up as such a great great movie, and it just didn't live up for me.

I liked it, and some parts were funny/poignant, but I owe a few of my friends a punch in the face for the way they oversold this movie to me.

Bolt - 9/10

This was a really terrific animated movie, on a par with Monster, Inc. Laugh-out-loud funny, great characters, good voice acting for the most part, and the best use of 3D I've ever seen. My 5- and 6-year old girls were enthralled, as were my wife and I. Go see this movie. Take a kid. Or not. Either way, go.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #2639
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Did you watch the english dubbed version or the original with subtitles?

Always with subtitles. Since I watch a lot of wuxia movies, I could not imagine watching with English dubbed. That goes for the many foreign films as well.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #2640
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Always with subtitles. Since I watch a lot of wuxia movies, I could not imagine watching with English dubbed. That goes for the many foreign films as well.

Then I can't believe you didn't like Shaolin Soccer. It's my favorite S.Chow movie of all time.

Seen King of Comedy and God of Cookery from Chow as well?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #2641
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Bolt - 9/10

This was a really terrific animated movie, on a par with Monster, Inc. Laugh-out-loud funny, great characters, good voice acting for the most part, and the best use of 3D I've ever seen. My 5- and 6-year old girls were enthralled, as were my wife and I. Go see this movie. Take a kid. Or not. Either way, go.

Bolt. Zoom-zoom.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:54 AM   #2642
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The closest relatives are my family on the West Coast, with my wife's family in South Florida. Both of our parents are quite elderly and rarely travels anymore.

Sorry, Steve, that must be a downer come holiday times.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:02 AM   #2643
RainMaker
General Manager

Hancock (6 out ot 10) - I probably shouldn't have liked this, but I did. I'm a sucker for superhero movies and something different. The sad thing is that it had great actors and a great concept, but they could have done so much more with it. It seems to be a trend with Peter Berg movies (The Kingdom was another with potential). Still enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't pay to see it in a theatre.

Ironman (7 out of 10) - Maybe this movie was too hyped for me and I expected more. I liked it, but it wasn't anything special.

The Happening (3 out of 10)
- Just nothing to the movie. Acting was atrocious and everything was too vague. Nothing made sense. I can't believe they keep hyping this M. Night's movies. Shows that you can create one blockbuster and be given a ton of rope for the rest of your career.

The Constant Gardener (9 out of 10)
- Can't go wrong with a le Carre book for a movie. This is an really intelligent movie with a lot of real life connections.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #2644
rowech
Pro Starter

[quote=RainMaker;1905267]

The Happening (3 out of 10) - Just nothing to the movie. Acting was atrocious and everything was too vague. Nothing made sense. I can't believe they keep hyping this M. Night's movies. Shows that you can create one blockbuster and be given a ton of rope for the rest of your career.

quote]

When people say this, I always have to respond. His last movies have been terrible...I'll give you. However, Signs was a good movie. Cooky at the end? Yes...but that movie has quite a bit of suspense to it and the scene in the basement, when viewed in the theatre, got hearts racing. In addition, there is a ton of symbolism in that movie that make it very good in my opinion.

The Village should have been a good movie but in my opinion, he botched the ending big time. I would have ended it very differently and I think it would have been a winner of a film.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #2645
KWhit
Coordinator

Agreed with Signs. Very good film, IMO.

I thought Lady in Water was decent. Most people seemed to hate it, but I thought it was interesting.

The Village? Just horrible.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #2646
RainMaker
General Manager

I did like Signs too. Very underated film. It's everything that has come after which has sucked.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-16-2008 at 03:00 PM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #2647
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Loved Sixth Sense.
Really liked Unbreakable.
Liked The Village.
Lady in the Water was teh suck.
Refuse to subject myself to The Happening, because people I trust have told me that my life will never again be worth living after watching that foul wretched excuse of a flick. And I've heard that it was not very good.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #2648
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Primary Colors - 7/10

Watched this for the first time all the way through earlier. I thought it was a pretty good movie, with the first 3/4 being really good. I just had a problem with a twist towards the end. I felt the twist just didn't... fit? Other then that though, I was definitely glad I sat down and watched this movie that came out ten years ago. Travolta was really good, but I really enjoyed Emma Thompson as Travolta's wife.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:21 PM   #2649
Lorena
Unregistered

Don't Mess with the Zohan - 6.5/10

Cheap laughs for sure, but I enjoyed it.

Get Smart - 8.5/10

Never seen the show so the movie stands alone. Good mix of action and comedy and Steve Carrell was just great I laughed so many times.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #2650
MikeVic
Head Coach

Super Troopers - 7/10
Older movie, but I haven't seen it before. Basically, State Troopers are trying to save their jobs. Not a bad movie, but I didn't find myself laughing out loud a lot. There was maybe one time that I did, and I think that was more of a chuckle. A few things made me smile, but that's it. It was pretty hyped up for me, so I was disappointed in it.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote