Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

FOFC Meet Up, DC-Style, Round 2? (UPDATED2 - 6/19 @ 11a @ Primetime Grill)

Didn't want to bogart Chief Rum's thread.

I'm game, anybody else? Location, location, location?
And when? Soon?

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 06-18-2010 at 09:32 AM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
A few thoughts.

-Would be cool if we did it on a Saturday or Sunday, maybe wade or any of the other "slightly farther away" locals (i.e. anybody who wanted to come but would take a little longer to drive, maybe even some of our PA bretheren!) could make it, too.
-Happy hours are fun, but would anybody be up for something like a Nats game instead of going to a bar? Maybe a brunch instead of an evening affair (not that I have any ideas on brunch locations, mind you)? You'd all be welcome at my place, but I know that nobody wants to drive to Ashburn hahahaha.
-I've got no issue going into the city, as long as wherever we choose is walkable for an eternally gimpy person from a Metro station. Or, if people want to go somewhere outside of Metro range, that works for me, too (and don't mind driving anybody who may not have a vehicle).

Yeah that's all I got for now.
/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 06-09-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

Definitely don't plan around me. No offense to anyone here - but LS can attest to the fact that I have a hard enough time getting up there to see family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If this ends up being late July/early August, I'd probably be able to make it. Looks like we are kicking off a pilot project with the FDIC in that time frame.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'll be in DC the weekend of the June 19th (tho heading up to Wilmington the night of the 19th for the Blue Rocks game). That's probably my last shot as I'm moving to Indy at the end of the month.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It sounds more like this would be a meet up a little sooner than my visit, but I would enjoy the chance to meet up with any FOFCers in the area on my trip, assuming I end up scheduling this vacation (and I am leaning strongly to doing so).

But of course, my visit won't be until late September.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

There is a Nats game on June 20.. er.. crap.. that's Father's day. I'm busy that day. I was going to say we could do brunch in Capitol Hill and then take the free shuttle to the 1:35 game.

Well, we could still do that another time and that hits both of tk's suggestions (which I think are both good ideas).

I'm pretty much always down for something after work during the week if it doesn't conflict with something random (like my bocce league). Weekends can get a little more complicated, but if I have notice I can probably do it.

We also don't HAVE to do it in the city. I am the only one that actually lives here, but of course it gives us a lot more options, is metro accessible, and fairly central.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, tk and I were talking online about getting together this weekend- kindof a mini meet up, I guess, if no one else can make it (myself, my wife, tk) since I'm really not going to have another opportunity. I had thrown a couple of ideas out there and was seeing if anyone else was interested.

1) I'm going to be driving to or be in Delaware after about 2 Saturday so Saturday afternoon and evening are out.

2) Friday's Nats game would be good timewise except it's a Strasburg game and the cheapest tickest on Stubhub are $24 for pretty bad seats. On the one hand, I'd like to see him pitch. On the other, I'd rather not spend $100 to get two tickets (wife, self) while we're in the middle of an already increasingly expensive move.

3) We could do the Nats game Sunday. It has a couple of drawbacks. One, it's Father's Day. Two, it's expected to be 97. That's unpleasant but doable, if you sit under one of the overhangs.

4) Anyone have a pub they like that won't be too crowded? We could watch Ivory Coast-Brazil on Sunday at 2:30.

5) If Sunday doesn't work, we'll be around until 2 or 3 on Saturday. Maybe we could grab lunch at someone's favorite spot at noon or 1 for an hour or two.

We need to head back to Richmond that Sunday night but that's our only real time constraint along with the Saturday in Delaware thing.

Any thoughts? Anyone else interested? Post here or PM me. If I don't hear anything in the next day or two, we'll just do our own thing. Unfortunately, my time is short so if I wanted to do something, this is pretty much our only weekend.

SI

Old 06-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'm game for something!
I'd probably lean towards some sporting event. There are a lot of places in DC that we could probably catch either/both game at (where did we do our last one, that could easily work). For soccer, I know that Summers in Arlington is a soccer place, but it will likely be MOBBED.

Anybody else interested? ls? Todd? chesapeake?

/tk
Old 06-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I am theoretically I would not plan on me this weekend tho.... pretty busy! I R imprtant!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
wade moore
lolzcat

LS is having issues with getting internet setup at his new place, I'll let him know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You're welcome, too, wade, tho I know it's a long distance

SI

Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
chesapeake
College Starter

I've got two little ones (4 and 8 months), and my going out days are firmly fixed in the rear view mirror. But I sincerely apppreciate the offer
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wait... 4 and 8 months...? Now I'm no math wizard but

SI

Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
chesapeake
College Starter

4 years, that is. Sheesh. Tough crowd!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, I did say I wasn't a math wizard. I should have figured that one out

Anyone else with any thoughts (on getting together, not on the ages of chesapeake's kids)?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-16-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #17
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I'm game for something!
I'd probably lean towards some sporting event. There are a lot of places in DC that we could probably catch either/both game at (where did we do our last one, that could easily work). For soccer, I know that Summers in Arlington is a soccer place, but it will likely be MOBBED.

Anybody else interested? ls? Todd? chesapeake?

/tk
I'm definitely down, but I need to make sure the family is in a good place. I have no problem meeting anywhere in the metro area, though Cam and I make Burke a nice locale
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So any preference towards time or activity? I'm still leaning towards Sunday afternoon to watch the World Cup but can do any of the above. That said, I don't know the local watering holes so if someone wants to make a suggestion of location- that would work nicely

SI

Old 06-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #19
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

There is a cool new sportsbar in Fairfax - near 236 and 66 - that has a zillion televisions and big comfy chairs. Waitresses are easy on the eyes, too.

Primetime Sprts Grill.

Ate there last nightand saw LaVarr Arrington.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sounds good to me. I'm going to be staying at the Marriott right off of 495 and 50 (Priceline-fu!) so that's not very far away at all. Again, I'm game for Saturday at noonish or Sunday before the Brazil-Ivory Coast game (2:30). I think the preference would be to the latter provided Father's Day isn't too much in anyone's way. Again, I could do both- we just need to take a vague head count in advance.

But you know, a good gift to yourself would be to go watch a soccer game with some people you vaguely know

So, post which days work for you:
Saturday: YES
Sunday: YES
Other: AS NOTED ABOVE

SI

Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #21
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Sounds good to me. I'm going to be staying at the Marriott right off of 495 and 50 (Priceline-fu!).

My in-laws stay in that hotel when they come down to visit. The breakfast buffet is pretty good. Be warned -- they keep Fox News on the tv just off of the lobby. If you linger near it, you will likely lose some brain cells.

If I get out for a run on Sunday, I'll wave as I go by. My usual route takes me by the pond and through the office park where that hotel sits.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #22
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
There is a cool new sportsbar in Fairfax - near 236 and 66 - that has a zillion televisions and big comfy chairs. Waitresses are easy on the eyes, too.

Primetime Sprts Grill.

Ate there last nightand saw LaVarr Arrington.

So, you coming?!?!

That place sounds alright to me.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #23
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I could do sat... i think! but not sunday!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #24
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
So, you coming?!?!

That place sounds alright to me.
Shit yeah - just let me know the time details - first round on me.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok- I figure we should probably make a final call to get any decision making thoughts and see if anyone else is interested.

Saturday at around noon (no game, tho, but I have to leave by 2)
Sunday at 2 (Brazil-CDI is 2:30 and we could stay through the end)

Final thoughts and a head count? Near as I can tell, my wife and I, tk, and Toddzilla can make either. claphamsa might be able to make Saturday (does this time work for you?). Anyone else?

Seems simple enough to me- claphamsa, if you think you can make it on Saturday at that time but not Sunday then it's probably worth doing Saturday. If not, I'd rather have a soccer game to watch (maybe get up a little later) and we'll do it Sunday

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-17-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #26
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

i can do any time sat, no women till the evening....

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, so let's put this in stone, so to speak. Rather than noon, how about 11. That way there's the second half of Ghana-Australia going on since it starts at 10 tomorrow. I called Primetime Sports Grill and they'll be open- they said they open for the early games. I kindof doubt we'll have any trouble getting in since it's not a USA game and it's early but who knows. I know it's early but it's the best way to get in a game and get everyone there.

So,
Primetime Sports Grill, 11am tomorrow
Near as I can tell, we have a head count of 5 (myself, wife, Toddzilla, tk, claphamsa).

If anyone else is in, let me know so we know to get a table with room for more people

SI

Old 06-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #28
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

FYI: Anyone need a hotel in the DC Metro Area this weekend? I've got one for you... - Front Office Football Central
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #29
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

io might be there early to watch the begining of the game, since its a 45 min drive for me

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #30
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
io might be there early to watch the begining of the game, since its a 45 min drive for me

I may show up for the beginning, too, depending how early I get up and if I manage to make it to the gym.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #31
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I may show up for the beginning, too, depending how early I get up and if I manage to make it to the gym.
ill be up at 7! also ill be wearing my holland jersey, they are bright orange so its will be hard to miss me.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #32
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
ill be up at 7! also ill be wearing my holland jersey, they are bright orange so its will be hard to miss me.

Well, I'd usually be up at 7, but since my most recent surgery (little over 2 weeks ago), my schedule's been all kinds of wonky.

Said it in the PM, I'm 6' tall, brown hair will be pulled back. I'll be wearing basketball shorts and sandals, some sort of tee shirt. I look a bit like this picture (but less tanned/burned) but slightly heavier (thanks surgeries for killing my ability to workout). 2007 10 06 004 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

/tk
Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'll probably be wearing a Black and Blue Royals jersey so I'll be easy to see, too. We're going up to the Blue Rocks game that night (Royals A team in Wilmington) so that'll be a good indication

SI

Old 06-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I might be up early but I'm not betting on it. I'll probably be by at 11. Our alarm is set for 9:30 and it's unlikely we wake up before that considering the week we've had

SI

Old 06-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #35
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

i did the math, and ill be closer to 11 as well. but ill be driving fast between games

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #36
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
i did the math, and ill be closer to 11 as well. but ill be driving fast between games

I may beat you there. I too am leaving when the Dutch game ends. Call/text when you get there.

/tk
Old 06-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #37
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'll be there closer to 11:30 with my little girl in tow.

11:30 isn't too early for a Guinness or 2 is it?

Last edited by Toddzilla : 06-19-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #38
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nah- it's beer thirty, right?

We're awake but not moving any flavor of fast. 11 sounds about right

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-19-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #39
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Thanks for showing up everyone - it was great to get out and put some faces to names and names to usernames

And no, 11:30 is NOT to early for a few Guinness, for future reference
Old 06-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #40
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Same. I feel a bit guilty for not having done this sooner but I'm glad to have gotten a chance before I left town

SI

Old 06-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #41
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

SI - I hope you were able to stay in DC for the Royals series...
Old 06-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #42
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
LS is having issues with getting internet setup at his new place, I'll let him know.

FYI, this "I'll let him know" never happened.

Sorry I missed it, guys. I was off the grid for a week or so there. Supposedly my DSL should be up and working when I get home tonight.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #43
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
SI - I hope you were able to stay in DC for the Royals series...

Unfortunately, no- we have so much to do with the move coming up. We went down to Newport News yesterday to visit my sister and now the truck is here so we're loading things up.

SI