Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

FOFC Buyer Info Dump-Washer Dryer Purchases

We are in the market to buy new set of appliances, washer and dryer.

We are not in the market for a steam based, (read top end price) washer or dryer. We have an older home that wont support them , which sucks, but we deal with what we have.

We have done some research both offline and online, and narrowed it down to say three brands, and 3 locations to buy them.

Looking at Whirlpool, Kenmore, and Maytag, and locations for us at least are Menards, Lowe's and Sears.

Models we are thinking about:
  • Whirlpool Energy Star 4.0 cu ft /Whirlpool 6.5 cu ft dryer
  • Kenmore 400 Series washer and dryer
  • Maytag Centennial 3.2 cu ft/ Dryer 7.0 cu ft.
Of course, they love to ding you for the "pigtail" and the water lines now, and we have a electric dryer hookup. So we are about to make a decision, and could use some feedback on what you all liked/disliked about a brand, and why?

Sorry about the no model number on the Whirlpool. Wife was taking notes and forgot to put it down. So if your house has a 3 prong hookup for the dryer can you use it with the newer dryers? Or are we looking at having to change the prong to the new standard?

Free delivery is a good thing for us, and while two offer it, Menards will offer 39.95 fee for delivery giving a instore credit for future purchases. Do they just deliver or do they install as well?

Sorry about the many questions, but, the better half really wants to spend it all in one fell swoop, and not get nickled/dimed to death on this purchase.

Thanks!

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud - Sophocles"

hoosierdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It is possible to set up the newer dryer's 4 prong cords to work with the old 3 prong outlet. But you might be breaking local building codes by doing so, so you'll need to check to make sure such a change is legal. The electrical term for what you'd be doing is creating a ground-to-neutral link for the dryer's chassis ground. Either way, you'll probably want to run it by a licensed electrician and see what they'd recommend.

As for models, I've had Maytag w/d set (the Neptune) for around 6 years now, and they've worked great.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
cougarfreak
College Starter

I bought a low end Samsung front loader from Lowe's last year. Love the thing. Paid about $650 for it. I've had zero problems.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Thomkal
Head Coach

We bought the Kenmore 800 series washer and dryer from Sears during the appliance rebate this year-we've only had the Kenmore series over the years for as long as I can remember. No real problems with them until they start to get very old.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

It's easy to change the cord on the dryer to match the wall- like 3 screws to open the hatch, 3 bolts inside.

I used to work at a maytag store so I'm biased towards our stuff, but since Whirlpool now owns them they are all the same. Kenmore- you never know who makes it, thats just the line that sears sells- could be anyone (Whirlpool, GE, etc).
They've done away with most they maytag stuff since I was there (it's been a few years) so I can't help you on the exact models.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Also- unless your hoses are cracked and leaking just reuse all that stuff they try to sell it for some big money.

Lastly- not sure where you are at but maybe go look at a mom and pop appliance store that also does service, sometimes they can match the price of the big box stores and you'll get better service if you ever have any problems with your machines.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Stay away from Maytag...they bought out Amana a few years back and their quality has gone to total shit. The Neptune class action was just part of it we bought 8 traditional top loaders for our rental houses and everyone has been replaced in less than 2 years, and their service sucks...I guess the Maytag repairman sat around so long he forgot how to fix shit.

Finally they sent out a local dealer (not a Maytag man) to repair one time and I told him all the problems we had, he shook his head and explained the Amana thing to me...guy was in his late 50s and been doing this his whole life so he had credibility to me. At his suggestion I bought an LG ( would have never considered them) for my personal home and loved it (well as much as you can love a W/D) have since replaced all my rentals with LG and no problems 4 years in.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Stay away from Maytag...they bought out Amana a few years back and their quality has gone to total shit. The Neptune class action was just part of it we bought 8 traditional top loaders for our rental houses and everyone has been replaced in less than 2 years, and their service sucks...I guess the Maytag repairman sat around so long he forgot how to fix shit.

Finally they sent out a local dealer (not a Maytag man) to repair one time and I told him all the problems we had, he shook his head and explained the Amana thing to me...guy was in his late 50s and been doing this his whole life so he had credibility to me. At his suggestion I bought an LG ( would have never considered them) for my personal home and loved it (well as much as you can love a W/D) have since replaced all my rentals with LG and no problems 4 years in.

Very true- the amana made maytags sucked horribly. We didn't sell them at the place I worked, we knew the model #s when people would call in. They were crap- trasmissions would go out in a year or 2, bearings, everything just a poorly made machine. Now the true maytags were still great at that time (the old porcelain machines were rock solid, but I know they no longer sell them)- I left right around the time Whirlpool bought them out, so I have no idea who makes what now
Old 06-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

I can attest to Maytag having issues as well. My new house came with an above the range microwave that stopped working 6 months in. The tray had only worked intermittenly after 3 months. The repairman told me they now are made over in China or someplace similar (may have been Indonesia), and they've gone to shit. On mine the wire that made the motor in the tray move has put in wrong, and everytime you opened and closed the door it was getting pressure put on it, causing it to not work. If finally shorted out and blew the whole magnatron out.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

don't reuse the hoses. Also get the steel braided ones.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

This thread is turning me on for some reason.