Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Got My Butt Kicked Last Night

I thought I was in pretty good shape. In the summer I ran around 20 miles a week, and I'm pretty active. Recently one of the guys I officiate football with roped me into taking this class he teaches at a local gym. This guy is in good shape for a man his age (50s). He played for the Steelers back in the 70s and has a Super Bowl ring from their first championship.

The class is called Body Pump. It combines aerobic workout with lifting. It is an hour long and you go through every major muscle group. Well after that hour class, I took a 45 minute spinning class. I never took spinning before but holy cow was that tough. I feel like I got beat up last night. My legs are sore and my ass hurts so bad from sitting on that seat.

Anyone else here try Spinning?

Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I thought I was in pretty good shape. In the summer I ran around 20 miles a week, and I'm pretty active. Recently one of the guys I officiate football with roped me into taking this class he teaches at a local gym. This guy is in good shape for a man his age (50s). He played for the Steelers back in the 70s and has a Super Bowl ring from their first championship.

The class is called Body Pump. It combines aerobic workout with lifting. It is an hour long and you go through every major muscle group. Well after that hour class, I took a 45 minute spinning class. I never took spinning before but holy cow was that tough. I feel like I got beat up last night. My legs are sore and my ass hurts so bad from sitting on that seat.

I tired the spinning class a few years ago - it does kick your ass!! Talking about a burn! What's amazing is the trainer probably does 3 or 4 of those spinning classes a day

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Right. I didn't even think I would get through it. The instruction was plugging away and still shouting out instructions.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dang, to do Body Pump and then Spin is sick. Sicker than I even normally do. I used to spin all the time, but I've found my enjoyment of the class really depends on the instructor. I seem to get the most enjoyment from the instructors who are actually cyclists, and there are relatively few of those at my gym.

I've done Body Pump a few times, it's not for me. I prefer working out with my trainer, where we have days that are the same type of thing, though I prefer the 1:1.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I've done Body Pump a few times, it's not for me. I prefer working out with my trainer, where we have days that are the same type of thing, though I prefer the 1:1.

/tk

I did Body Pump for a change of pace. Ever since I was 14 or 15 I lifted for football and it just got tiresome for me a few years ago so I just quit lifting all together. I like Body Pump because it makes me work on everything. I hate doing squats...lunges or even shoulder work. But I am forced to do it here. Plus it doesn't hurt that there are tons of hot girls in it.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:44 AM   #6
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I have never heard of Body Pump. My gym offers: Body Blast: Designed to strengthen and sculpt all the major muscles of the body. Utilizes free weights, tubing and stability ball.

You think this be the same concept?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 11-18-2008 at 08:44 AM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I have never heard of Body Pump. My gym offers: Body Blast: Designed to strengthen and sculpt all the major muscles of the body. Utilizes free weights, tubing and stability ball.

You think this be the same concept?

Sounds close. The one I take we use a bar with weights....and dumbbells. It might just be a different "brand". Body Pump was created by a guy called Les Miles.

But reading your description it sounds really close. The only thing we don't use is the stability ball, but that might be better for your abdominal workout.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Does anyone know if you can take up something like spinning after a bypass?
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This post is too long, so I'm just going to cut out some extra words for you and still keep the basic idea:

Quote:
I thought I was in pretty good shape ... I'm pretty active... Recently one of the guys I officiate football with roped me... This guy is in good shape for a man his age ... Body Pump ... holy cow ... my ass hurts so bad

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 11-18-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #10
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I was too lazy to read sak's post so I wanted to thank Maple Leafs for giving me the cliffnote version.

Hang in there man.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Does anyone know if you can take up something like spinning after a bypass?

It would definitely be a question for your cardiologist. My hunch is that if you worked out with a heart rate monitor (which I advocate that EVERYBODY work out with one to get a real gauge of how hard they're working), and ensured that if you got to a certain threshhold, you backed off, you could do it. That is one of the best parts of group exercise classes, that you can workout to your own level, especially if you have a good way of monitoring it. So when someone says "crank it up to a level 9 for you" your level 9 is different from the person next to you, etc, but it still gives YOU a good workout.

/tk
Old 11-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
It would definitely be a question for your cardiologist. My hunch is that if you worked out with a heart rate monitor (which I advocate that EVERYBODY work out with one to get a real gauge of how hard they're working), and ensured that if you got to a certain threshhold, you backed off, you could do it. That is one of the best parts of group exercise classes, that you can workout to your own level, especially if you have a good way of monitoring it. So when someone says "crank it up to a level 9 for you" your level 9 is different from the person next to you, etc, but it still gives YOU a good workout.

/tk

Thanks...my bp is pretty good with rehab so I can talk to cardiologist then..
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #13
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:

Preston Pearson kicked your butt?
Old 02-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #14
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

I started taking this class twice aweek and the body combat class three times a week after my wife who is just about become an instructor roped me into the class about a month ago. I was in good shape too I thought doing about 5-6 hours a week of high rep weight lifting and cardio but wow. I have lost a good 10 pounds and almost nothing I did before was giving me results like this. I can even start to see my abs again after years behind a little insulation. Great workouts plus for guys it is 90% women in the class. Though for me no luck since my wife is always in class for me and the instructor is her best friend...

Anyone else try these classes they seem to becoming real popular.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So are these offered at most major gyms? Or is this specific to one particular gym?

Oh yeah and is body combat the same as the Body Pump class mentioned above?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-06-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #16
Swaggs
Coordinator

I thought this thread would be about Nick Lachey kicking your ass.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #17
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
So are these offered at most major gyms? Or is this specific to one particular gym?

Oh yeah and is body combat the same as the Body Pump class mentioned above?

The Body Combat is a "high impact aerobics type" class that is based on various martial arts techniques. So for example the class variation this quarter, it changes every quarter or so with a new routine, has alot of Muay Tai along with Tae Kwon Do, karate, and kick boxing. It really gives you a great cardio workout along with giving anyone that cares some basic martial arts training.
They are available at most gyms under the Les Miles brand so my local town recreation center has the classes as well a s a bunch gyms.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #18
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
This post is too long, so I'm just going to cut out some extra words for you and still keep the basic idea:

props....

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I was too lazy to read sak's post so I wanted to thank Maple Leafs for giving me the cliffnote version.

Hang in there man.

This is an underrated response to a quality ML post. Both earn a

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #20
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I started taking this class twice aweek and the body combat class three times a week after my wife who is just about become an instructor roped me into the class about a month ago. I was in good shape too I thought doing about 5-6 hours a week of high rep weight lifting and cardio but wow. I have lost a good 10 pounds and almost nothing I did before was giving me results like this. I can even start to see my abs again after years behind a little insulation. Great workouts plus for guys it is 90% women in the class. Though for me no luck since my wife is always in class for me and the instructor is her best friend...

Anyone else try these classes they seem to becoming real popular.

I have now lost 35 pounds doing the Les Mills Body Combat class three days a week and the Body Pump class one day a week along with the three hours per week of my own weight lifting/cardio. The classes are great and high recommend it for anyone looking to drop weight. I am actually at 42 now starting to get my ab six pack back and though I have lost a bunch of weight have gotten stronger.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-11-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #21
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I have now lost 35 pounds doing the Les Mills Body Combat class three days a week and the Body Pump class one day a week along with the three hours per week of my own weight lifting/cardio. The classes are great and high recommend it for anyone looking to drop weight. I am actually at 42 now starting to get my ab six pack back and though I have lost a bunch of weight have gotten stronger.

How long did it take to lose the 35 pounds and what diet changes did you make, if any?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #22
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Congratulations! Great work!!
/tk
Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #23
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Great workouts plus for guys it is 90% women in the class. Though for me no luck since my wife is always in class for me and the instructor is her best friend...
And...?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #24
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I have now lost 35 pounds doing the Les Mills Body Combat class three days a week...

I did a double take when I first read this, thinking it said "Les Miles", and trying to remember when the LSU coach came out with a workout regimen.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #25
Logan
Head Coach

Wow, thought this may have been bumped because Sak took on a chest-pounding Blackhawk fan .
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #26
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
And...?

Yeah good point
Old 06-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #27
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
How long did it take to lose the 35 pounds and what diet changes did you make, if any?

It took 5 months. One other thing that was an added benefit to not losing it to fast which was what I did not want to do and lose muscle was a noticeable increase in strength. I did watch what I ate but nothing extreme. I cut caloriews down to about 2000-2200 a day with the nutritional content breakdown of some thing like 35-40% protein, 40-50% carbs and 10-15% percent fat. I did not c ut out some of my favorites and occasional slice or two of pizza or a hamburger. The key was watching the servings and quantities and also avoiding hard liquor and beer except for a six pack of coors light or guiness a week. I am burning around 5500 calories and another 1000 or so from the reduced calories.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #28
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Congratulations! Great work!!
/tk

Thx.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #29
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Great job Galaril!

I lost about the same amount since January. I was 250 lbs and am now fluctuating between 215 lbs and 218 lbs. I take Body Pump twice a week, spin once a week, and run 2 other times a week. I got on a diet and that's when I really noticed the pounds falling off.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #30
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Maple Leafs wins the year 2010. Seriously, I've already read his post four times and I lol each after each read.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-15-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:16 PM   #31
hoopsguy
General Manager

Maple Leafs wins the year with a post from Nov 2008?

jbmagic looking good in preseason 2011.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:28 PM   #32
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought Sak may have pissed off Barack Obama or something.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Maple Leafs wins the year 2010. Seriously, I've already read his post four times and I lol each after each read.

And the sad thing is that he's probably looking at this going "Jeez, I've done so much better high satire and this is what I'm getting credit for"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #34
Schmidty
Coordinator

I need to start lifting, because I've lost weight now that I don't drink. I was around 165, but now I'm 154. I'm looking really scrawny.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #35
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Whoops!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #36
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Preston Pearson kicked your butt?

I read this, thought, "that's funny, who wrote that? Oh, me."