Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #951
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Alloway is healthy but I end up making the decision to leave my starting lineup the way the AI recommends. Ozier isn't a great scoring threat, but playing Barrett at SG and Ozier at SF allows me to put my best defensive lineup on the court. Ozier is strong attacking the rim and a good rebounder, all things that I don't get as well with Alloway and Barrett.

When I started Alloway over Ozier early in the year I thought Alloway had the potential to be a 15-20 ppg type of guy, the guy I could go to at the end of the shot clock any time I needed to generate a shot. He's good, but he's not that good, averaging around 10 ppg, the same as Forte, Sanders, Barrett, etc. And to give up the more balanced lineup that I get from Ozier, Alloway would have to be a go-to guy. My success with him out of the lineup was enough to convince me that I'm better off and will match up better against more teams with Ozier instead.

100% agree with this based on your game recaps and the obvious success you had in the back half of your schedule.

Also, if you are going to have an OT game I would ask that you mention the "too long for one post" stuff at the end of the post rather than at the start of the post. At the start is a dead giveaway that you have an OT game and I know I start skimming to get to the good part. So change your pattern to address my laziness

Congrats on the ACC title. Hope that you are able to put together a really solid postseason run - no Memphis games this year!
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #952
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Also, if you are going to have an OT game I would ask that you mention the "too long for one post" stuff at the end of the post rather than at the start of the post. At the start is a dead giveaway that you have an OT game and I know I start skimming to get to the good part. So change your pattern to address my laziness

Will do!

Quote:
Congrats on the ACC title. Hope that you are able to put together a really solid postseason run - no Memphis games this year!

Thanks, and no kidding! I haven't taken a good look at these other top 10 teams very closely, but I get the feeling that this season there's no real favorite to win the national title, and we should be one of 8 or 9 teams that could easily win 6 straight if we get good matchups and play well. Of course if we run into a good pressing team in the sweet 16 we might be screwed, but we'll deal with that if it happens.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #953
hoopsguy
General Manager

Has the A-10 emerged as a "power conference"? I saw that they had two top five teams, which I certainly don't expect to see happen in real life anytime soon.

Are there conference power rankings at the end of the year? If so, it would be interesting to see that kind of stuff every few years just to highlight where the power is shifting outside of your own little corner of the basketball universe.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #954
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Has the A-10 emerged as a "power conference"? I saw that they had two top five teams, which I certainly don't expect to see happen in real life anytime soon.

Are there conference power rankings at the end of the year? If so, it would be interesting to see that kind of stuff every few years just to highlight where the power is shifting outside of your own little corner of the basketball universe.

Yeah, there are conference rankings, how they're calculated I'm not sure. There are the 6 standard power conferences, 3 "major" conferences (A-10, C-USA, Mountain West), and then the rest are divided between mid-major and small conferences.

The A-10 got 4 teams into the tournament last year, and looks like a lock for 4 teams this year, LaSalle, Temple, Saint Louis, Xavier are all in the top 25, but they're still only the 7th ranked conference, behind all the power conferences.

I believe there was one year where the mountain west was the 6th ranked conference, and there have been a few years where a mid-major conference will crack the top 9 over CUSA, but there has never been any long term shift of power.

I think the reason this happens is fairly similar to the real world... coaches want to move to the top for the most part. But its almost 100% uniform in this game... see Mark Few leaving for Arizona immediately in this dynasty, for example. And coaching skill dictates the success a program can have. So any time a number of power conference jobs open up, the major/mid major conferences lose all their best coaches and fall right back down.

This year's conference rankings, btw:

1. ACC
2. SEC
3. Big 10
4. Big East
5. PAC 10
6. Big 12
7. A-10
8. Mountain West
9. WCC
10. C-USA

CUSA is just awful right now. The West Coast Conference doesn't have a single team with an RPI better than 65, but they still get the nod over Conference USA. The Big 12 only has 3 top 25 teams, Oklahoma State has been in the top 10 all year, but they have 6 20 win teams and are better top to bottom, so by most measures having them 6th and the A-10 7th probably makes sense.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #955
Radii
Head Coach

March 10, 2023 - ACC Quarterfinals

(1) #5 Florida State (23-5,13-3 ACC) vs (9) NC State (22-11, 6-10 ACC)

TEAM: FSU|NCSU
OVR: 94|91
OFF: 92|91
DEF: 94|91
SHT: 93|94
REB: 96|91
COA: 88|93

We played NC State at our place in late January and were winning 56-26 at the half, going on to win 99-65. Their highest rated player had a wrist injury during that game though.

Last season we beat NC State by 30 at our place and then late in the year lost a close game at the RBC Center. This is on a neutral floor but I don't necessarily assume that we're going to win by 30 again

Scouting

PG Jairus Drabyn – SR – 83 OVR – 92 speed/89 quickness. 86 defense/75 steals. 87 hands/87 passing. 81 close/74 med/84 3/81 off the dribble. He's decent but not spectacular anywhere. 8.8 ppg/5.0 apg

SG Danko Walls – SO – 84 OVR – Last year's national freshman of the year. . 86 speed/83 quickness. 85 defense/70 steals. 87 close/84 med/83 3/84 off the dribble. Solid awareness on both ends, 79 off/77 def. He's improved nicely this season and is averaging 17.5 ppg, leading the team.

SF Justino Mihailovic – SR – 89 OVR – 6'5” SF – 88 speed/89 quickness. 86 defense/77 steals. 87 close/81 med/82 3/85 off the dribble/90 in traffic. A solid defender for a SF and a very talented offensive layer. He's also an elite rebounder for a SF, 89 drb. Great awareness on defense(85), not bad on offense(73). 9.1 ppg/4.5 rpg

PF Cassiano Hunter – JR – 82 OVR – 6'10” PF – 90 orb/79 drb. 89 post off/75 post def. 86 blocks/A- there. 90 close/87 in traffic. Awareness is awful, and 75 str is good but not great. 6.9 ppg/3.1 rpg

C Zachary Horton – FR – 77 OVR – only 6'8”. 84 orb/82 drb. 83 post off/76 post def. 88 close/85 in traffic. Godawful defensive awareness(63). 72 off awareness. 76 str, good but not great. Not really bad in the key areas that I look for, rebounding and post play, but overall he's short and young and unpolished, hopefully we can walk over him. 5.5 ppg/5.4 rpg.

Backup PG Garland Munns is second in scoring at 15.1 ppg. He's getting almost 30 minutes a game.
Half
Time
FSU
NCSU
Notes
12:03
Backups are in. This is the biggest lead either team has had, its been back and forth, but we're now on a 7-0 run after the Wolfpack had taken a 10-8 lead a little while ago. McCants leads us with 5.
8:25
Millar has 3 offensive boards and is 0-3 from the field, doh!
7:35
Getting the ball to Sneed was apparently the secret. He's got our last 4, a big dunk giving us a 6th man boost.
5:38
Alloway gets going a bit, hitting a 3 and a layin in transition, add a free throw and he's got 6. Their PG, Drabyn, has 10 of NC State's 23. backup PG Munns has 5, he came in when Walls picked up foul #2 a little while ago. Starters are back in during an NC State timeout.
2:10
They tie the game at 28 and we score 6 straight ourselves, a steal and layup by Ozier earns us another 6th man boost from the crowd.

HALF
We lead most of the half, and its a nice, easy, comfortable half, but we never do push out to a lead bigger than 6, leaving it open to give them a chance to step up and win in the 2nd half. NC State shoots 45%, we shoot 42% They're 2-10 from 3, we're 4-13. Who would have guessed that putting McClurkin, Alloway and Day all on the court at the same time would generate a lot of 3 point shots.

NC State is lead by 10 from Drabyn, Munns has 5, and both their bigs have 4. PF Hunter has 8 boards already. McCants leads us with 9, Ozier has 7, Alloway 6, Forte 5. Barrett is scoreless, an indication that we aren't getting a lot in transition.

I don't think they have the firepower or defense to do much here and I fully expect to win, but it'd be nice to go on a little run and build this up into double digits.
16:40
We go up by 10 for the first time, Sanders has two dunks this half, McCants a couple and Ozier a couple, solid start.
12:22
Backups are in. McCants has 13, Sanders 12, Sanders has either 8 or 10 this half, I forget if he had 2 or 4 at the half. Strong start either way. They've hit a couple 3's and Drabyn is going off big time to keep them in it. He is up to 20, 10 points this half already.
11:15
Millar gets a 3 point play attacking the basket, and McClurkin hits a 3, we're up 12, timeout Pack.
9:15
McClurkin has 9 now, 3 3's in this run for us, and NC State takes another timeout.
6:01
Starters are back in as we get 4 from Day and 2 from Alloway and have our biggest lead of the game.
4:15
Time to slow the game down and knock this one out.

Sanders scores the next 4, and we go up 75-56. We commit two dumb turnovers in the backcourt in the final minute allowing them to make it look at least a little closer than it was down the stretch.

(1) Florida State 75
(9) NC State 65

Drabyn was great for them, scoring 20, though he didn't score any in the final 12 minutes of the game. PF Hunter had a 12 point/15 board day that was very strong as well.

Forte: 5 points/2 assists/2 steals
Barrett: 0 points
Ozier: 8 points/2 boards
Sanders: 18 points/6 boards
McCants: 13 points/8 boards

McClurkin: 9 points
Alloway: 8 points
Day: 7 points

And we're on to the semifinals, as expected. Sanders had an outstanding second half, he was a big key for us in terms of building up that lead and putting this one out of reach.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #956
Radii
Head Coach

ACC Quarterfinals

1. Florida State 75
9. NC State 65

4. Virginia Tech 72
5. North Carolina 49

11. Duke 68
3. Boston College 54

2. Georgia Tech 110
10. Miami 76

ACC Semifinals

1. Florida State
4. Virginia Tech

2. Georgia Tech
11. Duke

No one expected Duke to do what they're doing, and i expect Georgia Tech will put a quick, painful end to Duke's hopes of a miracle run to the ACC Finals. On my half of the bracket though, the top seeds advance, and we get a rematch against a very good Virginia Tech team. They beat us by 25 in Blacksburg, then we beat them in double overtime in Tallahassee. Time for a 3rd meeting in Charlotte.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #957
Radii
Head Coach

March 11, 2023 – ACC Semifinals

(1) #5 Florida State (24-5,13-3 ACC) vs (4) #11 Virginia Tech (22-7, 9-7 ACC)

TEAM: FSU|VI
OVR: 94|95
OFF: 92|97
DEF: 94|91
SHT: 93|97
COA: 88|94

They've had some nice development throughout the year, with Bright up to 89 OVR and Graves up to 87 OVR, but I'm not quite sure why their roster's offensive rating is 97 now when it was 94 just a couple weeks ago.

Forte and Barrett were HUGE for us in our double OT win, scoring 23 and 21 respectively. Day had 12 off the bench and Sanders somehow managed 15 points against their formidable front line. Beeler isn't that great on defense, but we still seem to struggle quite a bit, looking for offensive boards and transition buckets and other junky type shots inside instead of straight up post success. We'll try of course, but have not reliably been able to score inside against them.

Beeler scored 26, Plummer 17 in the last meeting. They're an extremely good 3 point shooting team, in the first matchup when they destroyed us they shot 13-25. They were 9-27 last game.

Scouting

PG Melvin Bright – SR – 89 OVR – 94 speed/90 quickness. 84 defense/73 steals. 88 hands/91 passing. 85 close/82 med/90 3/82 off the dribble. 79 off awareness/80 def awareness. An elite 3 point shooter, a great passer and adequate defender. 8.7 ppg/3.7 apg.

SG Robin Vega – SR – 88 OVR – a 5'10” PG – 91 speed/87 quickness. 90 defense/86 steals. 86 close/82 med/77 3/85 off the dribble. 83 off awareness/76 def awareness. 5.9 ppg. An elite defender who can shoot but doesn't seem to be used too much as a scoring option.

SF Reece Plummer – SO – 81 OVR – 6'7” natural SF – 86 speed/80 quickness. 79 defense/70 steals. 85 close/83 med/71 3/80 off the dribble/82 in traffic. 4 ppg.

PF Lex Beeler – SR – 87 OVR – 6'9” PF – 85 orb/78 drb. 91 post off/73 post def. 71 blocks/78 steals. 96 close/79 med/77 3/88 in traffic. Good strength, outstanding awareness on both ends, 83 off/86 def. An elite offensive player, he seems to have some holes in his defensive game, though perhaps 86 def awareness makes up for the poor post defense, etc? 18.6 ppg/5.0 rpg

C Tommie Graves – JR – 87 OVR 0 6'10” C – 90 orb/82 drb. 89 post off/91 post def. 75 blocks. 92 close/86 in traffic. 80 str, coach on the floor with 83 off awareness/78 def awareness. 10.6 ppg/5.2 rpg, an elite post player on both ends, we're going to have a hard time against these guys inside.

Backup SF Cameron Aguko (81 OVR) scores about 13 a game off the bench and has been good against us. Backup PG Mick Parsons (86 OVR) scores about 7/game but has done much better than that against us as well.

Half
Time
FSU
VT
Notes
13:05
They get out to a 9-3 start but we rein them back in and its a 2 poitn game as the backups come in. McCants is a frustrating 0-4. He's been blocked by Graves twice, once on a cut to the basket attempting a dunk, once on a putback. Sanders is 2-2 inside though. Forte has a 3 and leads us with 5. Bright has 6 for them early.
7:45
6 straight for the Hokies, it was 18-17 just seconds ago it seems heh. We turn it over, they go in for a dunk and a 6th man boost, and I call a timeout. Bright has 8, Beeler 7 for them.
7:15
Millar scores over their backup bigs(beeler/graves both sat during our timeout, Bright is sitting too). Starters are in after a foul.
2:30
We take full advantage of their backup squad, getting 4 from McCants and 2 more from Sanders in addition to a transition layup by Forte and we take the lead, timeout Hokies. They get all their starters back in.

HALF
Virginia Tech gets 2 6th man boosts in the last 2 minutes, once from a simple defensive board on a 27-27 game, the other off a Bright 3. We kill them both off quickly, and actually draw Beeler's second foul, the prospect of him in foul trouble makes me happy. Virginia Tech shoots 55% in the half, we shoot 45%. They are 2-6 from 3, we are 1-5. Free throws are about even, we've got 2 more than them.

Bright 11, Plummer 9, Beeler 7. Vega and Parsons have just 2 points between them, their other two biggest scoring threats. We've got 8 from Sanders, he shoots 4-5 and does a great job finding and taking advantage of the rare openings in their interior defense. McCants does not, he is 2-7 for 4 points. Forte has 7. Barrett is once again scoreless, Ozier just has 2.

If we can get Beeler in foul trouble it'd go a long ways towards giving us an edge in this game. We were strong from 3 in the game we won as well, but the shots have not really been available so far.
18:06
Vega hits a 3 for them, Forte hits one for us and Barrett gets a transition bucket. We've got two blocked shots inside already this half(5 for the game), and Sanders just snagged an offensive board that gave us a 6th man boost.
17:22
Graves gets his 3rd block to stop us from taking the lead at first, but they miss a 3 on their end, and Barrett gets another bucket in transition,we're up one!
13:40
Barrett has 10 this half already and we have our biggest lead at 4. We've gotten the 6th man to go off for us pretty much constantly(4 times in 6 minutes). They just subbed out Beeler and Graves both, so we'll try to pound it inside for a bit. Timeout Va Tech.
11:45
Graves/Beeler are back in. We got McCants a point at the line but didn't really take big advantage inside.
10:00
They hit a 3, get a couple offensive boards and generally do everything they need to on offense to cur out lead quickly back down to 1. I get a timeout and get my backups in.
9:50
A block gets Va Tech a 6th man boost, but a reach in by Beeler after we pick up the loose ball is his 3rd foul and we get to run some clock to kill their advantage.
8:20
Va Tech with another 6th man boost as they take the lead back, I get a timeout. Day just went off a screen and rimmed out a wide open 3 at the top of the key, they got out on the break for an easy layup.
6:30
I get another timeout to get my starters some more rest, I need them back in ASAP. Backups are cold from 3/getting owned inside and we're having no luck at all on offense. We have only allowed them to score 2 points so its still just a 3 point game which is good.
5:50
McClurkin hits a 3, we get a defensive stop and its time for the starters to come in and win this thing.
4:30
They take a 1 point lead going 1-2 at the line, Sanders makes a great move on Beeler to hit a little 1 handed shot from 8 feet out, then gets a dunk in transition after a miss, and we get a 6th man boost and a 3 point lead.
2:45
SANDERS! We force a miss on their end, forte misses a 3, Sanders board and kickout, Ozier misses inside, boards and kicks it out. On our third try Sanders gets a mismatch with a guard on him in the post, scores and draws a foul, hits the free throw! He has our last 7 points and we lead by 6. Timeout Hokies.
Bright scores his first points of the half, hitting a jumper
2:00
Forte goes off a screen and drains an open 3! He's got a very quiet 18 points to lead us.
1:30
We have seriously contained Beeler this half, McCants blocks him and we recover!
0:55
Sanders misses inside, they get a look from Vega on their end, our ball up 5.
0:25
Forte is fouled pump faking to try to get space for a 3, he hits 3 free throws and that probably ices the game.
0:11
Bright hits a 3 for them but they had to work pretty hard to get it, just 10 seconds left.

We seal it at the line easily.

(1) Florida State 72
(4) Virginia Tech 64

Barrett had a huge stretch early in the second half and Sanders came up just as big in the final 5 minutes as we outscore them 43-32 in the second half to advance to our first ACC Finals!

Bright scored 16, just 6 in the second half. Plummer 14. Beeler 10 points/8 boards, Graves 7 points/14 boards. We did an incredible job on Beeler, he went 4-11 today.

Forte: 21 poitns (4-10 from 3)
Barrett: 12 points
Ozier: 5 points/3 boards
Sanders: 15 points/8 boards/3 blocks
McCants: 5 points/6 boards/2 blocks

Day: 5 points
Millar: 4 points

Each team had 7 blocks today, and that's 7 blocks that got recorded, both defenses were very strong inside and scoring anything in the paint was a major challenge. The game misses a lot of blocks, I would guess 10 each easily. Graves had 3 for them, Sanders 3 for us. Beeler 2 for them, McCants 2 for us, and then Ozier and Sneed each with 1, their SF's each had one.

Now its time to go root like I've never rooted before for Duke.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:20 PM   #958
Radii
Head Coach

ACC Semifinals

1. Florida State 72
4. Virginia Tech 64

2. Georgia Tech 72
11. Duke 64

ACC Finals

1. Florida State
2. Georgia Tech

Well, its not what we wanted, but its what it should be to decide the champion of the ACC. We have the #2 RPI in the country, Georgia Tech #3. We're currently projected as a 1 seed, Georgia Tech a 2 seed.

The only problem is that the game I thought we played well against them, we lost by 17. The other game we lost by 35. We'll see if there's something better we can do in the finals to give us a chance to win.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #959
Radii
Head Coach

March 12, 2023 – ACC Finals

(1) #5 Florida State (25-5,13-3 ACC) vs (2) #6 Georgia Tech (22-7, 11-5 ACC)

TEAM: FSU|GT
OVR: 94|96
OFF: 92|95
DEF: 94|94
SHT: 93|100
REB: 96|100
COA: 88|96

Tech's shooting and rebounding have both improved from 99 to 100 since we last met. In our last matchup we missed countless transition buckets and shot 3-13 from 3. We either need to score better in transition today or just not run and try to really slow the game down into the 50s. I would prefer to score in transition. We must shoot better from 3, not necessarily shoot a lot more 3's, but when we get open looks they must go in.

I don't know if we've ever stopped Shavies. He scored 26 the last time we played. And Axton at 7'4” just completely controls the middle. The other big problem we've had against them is rebounding, rebounding margins of 15-6 and such in the first half of our last two games.

Scouting

PG Justin Covington – SR – 89 OVR – 94 speed/94 quickness. 89 defense/75 steals. 89 close/81 med/82 3/85 off the dribble. 9.5/4.9 apg. Covington took the starting job for the final 8 games last year and of course all this season.

SG Femi Shavies – JR – 88 OVR – Shavies is truly scary. 89 speed/90 quickness. 81 defense/84 steals. 91 close/80 med/86 3/83 off the dribble/81 in traffic. Good awareness, good strength. 13.4 ppg, he's averaged in double figures all 3 years, unusual for a SG, who usually have lower shooting tendencies than big men. His tendencies were maxxed out last year though, he's insanely talented and will shoot the second he touches the ball any time he's open. Holding him under 20 is likely impossible.

SF Jibran Grizzard – SR – 92 OVR – 6'7” SF – 88 speed/82 quickness. 86 defense/82 steals. 95 close/85 med/79 3. 93 vert, 84 off awareness/75 def awareness. Grizzard has never been a big scorer despite the ratings. 9.6 ppg this year is 2 points better than last season.

PF Immanuel Bing – SR – 88 OVR – 6'10” PF – 87 orb/88 drb. 85 post off/80 post def. 96 close/90 in traffic, good shot blocker, good steals for a big, 83 str is huge. 84 off awareness/77 def awareness. Bing was overshadowed by super forward Aly Richards the last couple years but he's taken the reins and is having his best year by far, 12.7 ppg/5.8 rpg, 3 points over his average last year.

C Dalron Axton – SR – 83 OVR – 7'4”, I mentioned Axton last year, when he came off the bench. 88 str(A). 89 orb/82 drb. 79 post off/78 post def. 94 close/88 in traffic. 9.0 ppg/5.2 rpg

Unity is 93 for us, 90 for Tech.
Half
Time
FSU
GT
Notes
15:00
We're doing a good job slowing it down, believe it or not. Georgia Tech has not missed a shot yet..
12:55
They miss a shot finally but get the putback when they do. Forte misses the only 3 we take, wide freaking open. Backups are in.
10:15
There we go! Alloway and McClurkin each hit open 3's and we force a steal, 8-2 run and its a tie game. This is shaping up like another half where we both might shoot near 80%. The rebound margin is currently 4-1 Tech. They get a timeout after getting the ball past halfcourt. Axton sits.
7:35
Tech scores 6 straight, Sneed gets a bucket finally for us. Tech calls a timeout. They sub out another starter, I bring mine back in.
6:40
A dunk and a 3 point play after a turnover and its an 9 point game... they are resting 3 of their starters btw, ugh ugh ugh.
5:35
We get a dunk from Sanders, they get a 3 point play on their end... McCants and Ozier both have two fouls now. Axton is back in for them.
4:35
I call a timeout and bring Alloway in for Ozier. I don't want Ozier getting his 3rd foul, and they are running 3 guards right now, Grizzard is on the bench, so I can afford to go 3 guards for a bit as well.

I should point out that I'm shooting 64% from the floor, and trailing by 12. How does Georgia Tech have 7 losses? This team is un-fucking-stoppable.
3:45
McCants with 5 straight, a 3 point play on a big dunk in transition, we get a 6th man boost. They make a couple subs, getting their big SF back out there.

HALF
We get as close as 5, 35-30. Forte misses another wide open 3 that could have cut the lead to 2, they score 4 straight, Barrett gets us a bucket at the end of the half and its a 7 point game.

This is just impossible. We're shooting 13-20, 4-5 from 3. 65% from the field. What the hell are we supposed to do if we shoot 65% and don't lead for a second of the game? Of course, Tech is shooting 75%. They're 15-20. They also draw more fouls and are 7-8 from the line, compared to our 4-5.

They have a 7-3 edge on the boards, including 2 offensive boards. Grizzard 9, Shavies 8, Covington 6, Bing 6.

McCants has 7 for us, Alloway 7. Sanders 4, Barrett 4, a few others with 2 or 3. Forte has missed 3 open 3 pointers. That's just killing me. That's his shot, pump fake, side step, stroke the 3. He's shooting 43% on the season, but he gets a Georga Tech uniform up in the air and goes 0 for however many times he tries it. I am baffled. We'll keep trying obviously, its within reach, but it feels like we've executed a near perfect half and are just a couple possessions away from them leading by double digits.
19:35
Ozier is back in for Alloway, the full starting lineup is out there. Barret drives by covington and draws a foul on him, nice start.
18:12
Georgia Tech misses 4 straight shots, only 1 less than they missed the entire first half, Ozier gets a great 3 point play in transition and Barrett has 6 and we've tied the game up!
17:30
What a fucked up way for momentum to shift. McCants with a great block inside, Barrett attacks and draws a foul. He misses both free throws, and Shavies drains a 3 on the other end. We lose our 6th man boost and they gain one. I get the ball over half court and call a timeout.
15:05
And things are right back to normal. Forte misses a contested 3(shot clock expriing) and a tough runner in the lane, and they are back up 7.
13:03
Another great run for us, ozier misses a free throw that could have given us the lead but we're on a 7-0 run and tied it back up. This time it feels a lot more like tough defense than just luck that they're missing, we're forcing them to take some bad shots and are all over the boards unlike the first half.
11:25
McCants with his 3rd foul, and this is as good a time as any to get the backups in. We have yet to lead in this game despite tying it up twice now.
Hah. Their 7'4 guy just hit a 3 pointer. He's actually rated 65 from 3, which is good enough to hit super wide open 3's, and I was sagging way off him to help in the lane w/ Sneed. Owell.

To be Continued
Old 05-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #960
Radii
Head Coach

9:45
Axton sits for awhile. Millar has all 3 points by our backups, just went 1-2 at the line.
9:20
They miss a 3, Day comes away with the board, finds Alloway with a great outlet pass and Alloway throws down a big dunk, tied up again(it was tied at 52 as well, this is our 4th tie of the half).
9:12
UGH. Day fouls their SF pump faking for 3 free throws...
8:55
Holy shit we just pick the strangest ways to fail totally against these guys. We've drawn 6 fouls this half, all shooting I think. We are 5-11 from the line this half. Barrett missed two, Alloway just missed two. Both are 75%+ free throw shooters.
7:55
Day scores 4 straight for us and we take the lead!!! The defensive rebound(their PF missed a wide open 8 footer after Millar got caught in horrible position trying to help off a screen) gives us a 6th man boost and Day was out on the run.
6:18
Day again with a layin after another miss, then a steal and outlet to Alloway for another transition bucket!!! 5 point lead, timeout Ga Tech. Starters are back in. I considered leaving the backups in to play the rush we're on, but they are just too good, and turn things around too fast, I need my best unit on the floor.
5:33
Shavies with 4 straight, McCants turned it over trying to kick the ball out of the post.
4:36
Well they're doing something right, tipping 2 passes as I try to run my offense, forcing McCants to try a 17 footer while closely guarded. Sanders with an over the back violation going for the board. They take the lead on their next offensive trip and I call a timeout. The timeout allows them to get Axton and Covington back into the game, bleh.
4:05
Forte hits his first three of the game! He's got 7.
2:36
We force a turnover and get Sanders a look inside. After that we trade baskets, Barrett just hit a midrange jumper for us to put us up 4. Its their ball with 2 ½ left.
1:43
We force another turnover(these last two have both been Forte riding their PG out of bounds in our ¾ court press, doesn't happen too often,espicially with a quality PG like Covington on the other end). We can't score though, and they get a bucket from Bing in close on their end, two point game.
0:53
I go to my clutch guy, forte, he drives but is stuffed inside, generating a 6th man boost for Tech. They rush the ball up the floor and fairly quickly find Shavies for a 3, his 20th points and they go up 1. I get the ball past midcourt then call a timeout. Both teams are at 6 fouls on the half. We have 1 TO left

0:42
Forte goes by a screen, kicks to Ozier who I think is going to drive, but he pulls up instead. He's bailed out as Axton fouls him, sending us to the line. He misses the first, but thank god hits the 2nd. Tie game.
0:37
Timeout Georgia Tech. 7 second difference in the game/shot clocks.
0:30.5
Wow. They go to Axton who hits a hook shot from a good 12 feet out on the right baseline.
0:12.2
Barrett pump fakes and Shavies reaches in on him, committing the foul. That's their 8th. Barrett is rated 85 at the line, 80.1% on the year. First FT good. Second...GOOD. Time to play defense, no fouls.
0:01.5
They struggle to get the ball over half court, finally passing it up and calling a timeout with 1.5 left.

REG
They get it into Shavies, he puts up a 3 from a good 24+ feet out, its not close. OVERTIME.

Shavies leads them with 20, Grizzard 13, Covington and Bing 10. All their starters have played 30+ minutes.

We've got Barrett at 12, McCants 11, Ozier 10, Sanders 8, Forte 7. Forte is our only starter under 50% from the floor. Alloway has 11 and has been solid too, but with all the timeouts taken in the last few minutes of regulation we shouldn't need to rest anyone. McCants and Grizzard have 3 fouls, no one has 4.

And, while I'm really pleased to have done so well today against Tech after our first two meetings, I can't help but point out that we shot 8-15 from the line in the 2nd half and 12-20 on the game so far. Tech is 16-17 by comparison.
OT
They win the toss, Bing scores on their first possession. Ozier misses a shot in the post Axton misses from 8 feet out, but Grizzard gets the offensive board and puts them up 4. They get a 6th man boost and I use a timeout. I have 1 left, Tech has 2.
OT
3:12
We struggle to find a shot but Barrett gets into the lane and scores with 2 seconds left on the shot clock(actually a goal tend, Axton knocked the ball into the stands but it was coming down).
OT
2:15
They throw a bad pass, we get the steal, but cannot get a transition shot off. We pull it out and end up taking a bad 3 after trying to find an open look. They get the board and score on the break.
OT
1:31
Whew, almost thought we'd lost it. Barrett misses a jumper, they get out on the break but McCants is back and puts good pressure on their shot, forcing a miss. We get out on the run ourselves, Forte hits a streaking Ozier for a layin, lead back down to 2, 6th man boost for us, timeotu for Tech. I use my one OT emphasis on Defense.
OT
1:15
Grizzard with a fairly quick shot, no good, McCants boards! No shot at a fast break.
OT
0:45
Wow, great steal by Tech, Grizzard goes diving to the floor to save the ball, and Covington picks it up...
OT
0:21
They go inside to Bing, Sanders swipes at the ball as he pivots, Bing loses the ball, Sanders picks it up and Ozier is out ahead of everybody, catches the outlet pass, Shavies catches him but Ozier hits his shot and draws a foul!!!! He makes the free throw. Tech ball, 21 seconds left, we lead by 1.
OT
0:00.8
Covington and Shavies work the ball around, it looks like Shavies is going to take the final shot, but he's well covered by Barrett, he fires to Bing(their 6'10 PF, but yeah he's a legit 3 point threat, I did already know that at least). Bing shoots it over Sanders and it goes in with 1 second left. I pass the ball up the sideline and immediately use my last timeout.

GAME
I get forte the ball about 30 feet out, he gets a shot off but it hits the right side of the rim and is no good.

(2) Georgia Tech 82
(1) Florida State 80
OT

A classic ACC Championship game between two of the best teams in the nation. Once again, we had our chances. We shoot 3/13 from 3, and 13-21 at the line. We could have won it in regulation, but this is an outstanding Georgia Tech team and there is no shame at all in taking them to overtime in a title game like this.

Shavies scored 20, Grizzard 15, Bing 15, Covington 12, Axton 7. We actually end up winning the rebound battle, 21-17. Both teams shoot in the 58-62% range for the game.

Forte: 7 points/4 boards/2 assists
Barrett: 14 points/3 assists
Ozier: 15 points
Sanders: 8 points/3 boards
McCants: 11 points/6 boards

Alloway: 11 points
Day: 6 points
Old 05-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #961
Radii
Head Coach

Georgia Tech has 7 losses, but remember, Georgia Tech was the preseason #1 team in the nation, and we were #2. They have 4 starters rated over 88, and the only guy that isn't is a 7'4" big man with legit 80+ talents. This team could have blown away the North Carolina teams that were the class of the league when I first took over Florida State and started paying attention.

The fact that we've now proven than we can hang with them gives me a lot more confidence going into the tournament. If we can play this Georgia Tech team to essentially a draw, we can beat anyone in the country. If we'd lost by 20+ again here, I doubt I would have believed that.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #962
Radii
Head Coach

NCAA Tournament Seletion

not a lot of suspense today, we're either a 1 or a 2, if we don't show up right away then its just a matter of waiting to see what region we earn a 2 seed in.

haha. Well if the game ruins my suspense, fuckit! Before the option to view the selection show even finishes loading, the "congratulations, you've accomplished a goal" dialogue appears at the bottom of the screen.

Florida State is a 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament!!!

Ok, lets watch the selection show anyway and see how things shake out.

Georgia Tech is #3, we are #4 in the final top 25 poll.

NC State is still on the bubble. Iowa out of the big 10 is as well. Michigan was on the bubble a week ago, I don't know if this means they're in or out.

1 Seeds

East: Vanderbilt (overall #1)
South: Georgia Tech
Midwest: Florida State
West: LaSalle

If the #1's hold up, Vandy would play Georgia Tech, we woudl play LaSalle.

EAST Region

1. Vanderbilt

8. Ohio (24-7)
9. Syracuse

Clemson is the 4 seed in the East, they'll play UNLV in round 1. St John's is the 5 seed in the region.

Ohio State is the 2 seed in this region, the big 10 champs.

SOUTH

1. Georgia Tech
16. Bethune-Cookman

Northwestern was the #2 team in the big ten, and they're the 6 seed here.

Virginia Tech is the 3 seed, they'll play (14) Northeastern.

Oregon is the 2 seed here.

MIDWEST

1. Florida State
16. Sacramento State

We get to play in Raleigh in the first two rounds.

8. Nevada (28-5)
9. Notre Dame (21-10)

I don't know anything about either team.

Cleveland State is a 4 seed here, they went 28-2 this season.

6. Boston College
11. Saint Mary's

The 3 seed here is Ole Miss.

2. Pittsburgh. I dunno much about Pitt either, Jamie Dixon is still there and they're consistently good.

Greg tells us this is the toughest region.

WEST

1. LaSalle

8. North Carolina
9. West Virginia

5. Maryland
12. Fresno State

The 4 seed is another mid-major, Marist.

Temple is the 2 seed in the West.

Conference Breakdowns

ACC 7
SEC 7
Big East 6
Big 12 6
A-10 5
Big 10 3
MWC 3
Pac 10 2
CUSA 2
WAS 2
MAC 2

Hah, Clark tells us that the CUSA was espicially bad this year.

NC State and Iowa both miss the tournament.

An overview of the seedings in the ACC:

1. Florida State
1. Georgia Tech
3. Virginia Tech
4. Clemson
5. Maryland
6. Boston College
8. North Carolina

Ohio is in as an 8 seed.

Ohio State is a 2, Wisconsin a 7, and Northwestern a 6 out of the Big 10.

Michigan finished 10-8, in a 3 way tie for 3rd in the conference, they went 20-13 overall but lost 3 of their last 4 to play their way out of the tournament. They are in the NIT

Indiana was 15-16, 8-10 in the big 10, penn state 7-11(15-16), Illinois 5-13(14-18). Illinois was dead last.

WOOOOOOOOOO 1 seed!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:10 AM   #963
Radii
Head Coach

The selection sunday display had a bug in it, btw. It said that Georgia Tech would matchup with Vanderbilt in the final four, implying that Georgia Tech was the 4th #1 seed and we were #2 or #3.

Looking at the full, accurate bracket in the schedule screen, Vanderbilt actually would play LaSalle in the final four.

We are on the same side of the bracket as Georgia Tech. I believe Georgia Tech is the #2 overall seed and we are #3.

First Round Opponent

We're playing the champion of the Big Sky Conference, Sacramento State. They finished 1st in the league, which rated as the 25th best conference in the nation(out of 32). They went 11-5 in league play, 19-11 overall.

They lost to 10 seed BYU, 86-51, in their first game of the season. They lost by 12 to Oregon State, a 3 seed in the tournament. Those are their only two games against tournament teams. They lost 4 of their last 5 regular season games before recovering to win the Big Sky tournament.

Their highest rated player is 79 OVR, Senior SG Roland Anagonye. He's their scoring leader with 12.6 points/game. SF Abraham Santos is rated 74 OVR and averages 12.1 ppg.

Sacramento State has an overall roster strength of 79 as well.

Looking ahead at potential opposition:

8 seed Nevada is 28-5, they went 14-2 in the WAC. They have a roster strength of 85 OVR, and have a much better offense than defense.

9 seed Notre Dame is 21-10, 12-6 in the Big East. They have a roster strength of 88 OVR
Old 05-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #964
Radii
Head Coach

March 17, 2023 – NCAA First Round

(1) Florida State (25-6) vs (16) Sacramento State (19-11)

TEAM: FSU|USS
OVR: 94|79
OFF: 93|81
DEF: 94|78
SHT: 93|86
REB: 96|85
COA: 88|79

Today's game is at the RBC Center in Raleigh, NC State's home floor. We're obviously massive favorites over a 16 seed.

Scouting

PG Evan Daniels – SR – 75 OVR – 91 speed/81 quickness. 81 defense/82 steals. 85 hands/79 passing. 84 close/86 med/78 3/79 off the dribble. Terrible offensive awareness (60), better defensive (73). Also a poor athlete. 7.1 ppg/2.9 apg.

SG Roland Anagonye – 79 OVR – 91 speed/82 quicknes. 81 defense/71 steals. 89 close/75 med/75 3/78 off the dribble. Average/slightly below average awareness. 72 off/74 def. Not a good athlete. I'm surprised he's rated as high as he is really, he's 6'5” and has good post and rebound skills for a guard. 12.6 ppg/5.3 rpg.

SF Abraham Santos – SR – 74 OVR – 6'5” and also a natural SG – 88 speed/88 quickness. 80 defense/66 steals. 84 close/78 med/74 3/75 off the ribble. Awareness below 70 on both sides. 12.1 ppg/2.3 rpg.

PF Engin Parker – SO – 71 OVR – 6'6” PF – 72 orb/80 drb. 70 post off/74 post def. 92 close/81 in traffic. 8.0 ppg/6.2 rpg.

C Bernard Black – SO – 73 OVR – 6'8” PF – 85 orb/80 drb. 85 post off/72 post def. 85 close/90 in traffic. C+ strength(62), awareness below 65 on both ends. 7.7 ppg/5.4 rpg. His post offense and offensive rebounding look nice but the rest of his stats look fairly bad by our standards.

These 5 starters are the only 5 players they have rated 70 or better. They have two 6'10” big men backups but they're rated 69 and 64 OVR. As you'd expect out of a 16 seed, we have a massive edge everywhere.

Half
Time
FSU
USS
Notes
16:00
Its a bit of a slow/dull start. The main issue though is that Sanders and McCants both have two fouls already. I go ahead and bring in Millar and Sneed.
12:15
Backups are in. We'renot playing much defense at all here, obviously. 7 team fouls/8 free throws for them isn't helping.
7:00
I call a timeout to get a little more time out of my backups. Millar has 2 fouls, Sneed 1 now. We're in some faily serious trouble with our bigs if this doesn't stop.
5:45
Starters are back in. We're at 10 fouls total now, but have finally gotten a stop or two(they just missed two at the line which helped) to get the lead up to 6.

HALF
Sacramento State is shooting 62% from the field, 10/14 from 3. Their two best players are 10-11 from the field. Apparently “being hyped up for the tournament” totally negates having a 94 rated defender(Barrett's defense w/ confidence boost in game) in your face as you shoot time after time.

Anyway, Sac State is 15-24 from the field. SF Santos has 11, SG Anagonye has 11, PF Parker has 10 (8-10 at the line, he drew 5 of the fouls on us, all shooting).

We're 16-28, 5-9 from 3 which is nice. Forte has 9, Barrett, Ozier, McClurkin, Sneed all have 6. Sanders, McCants and Millar have 2 fouls, they didn't pick up any more.
14:50
Both teams make their first 3shots of the 2nd half before we get a few stops and build our lead up to 10 points. Sac State calls a timeout.
12:50
Timeout Sac State. McCants has 3 fouls now, but we're deep enough into the game that foul trouble is less of an issue.
11:05
We're finally playing the way we're expected to play and quickly build our lead up to 20.
10:40
Backups are in.

We build the lead up as high as 28 or so and I just leave the backups in the rest of the way, working on post moves with Sneed and Millar(and screwing around and running down the clock). Didn't want to risk an injury to a starter.

(1) Florida State 95
(16) Sacramento State 70

They keep it closer far longer than I'm happy with but we ran away with it in the second half and win easily.

Forte: 13 points/4 assists (4-7 from 3)
Barrett: 6 points/4 assists
Ozier: 13 points
Sanders: 9 points/7 boards
McCants: 11 points/4 boards

Sneed: 16 points/10 boards
McClurkin: 12 points
Millar: 6 points/7 boards
Alloway: 3 points

everyone played between 17-23 minutes today.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #965
Radii
Head Coach

First round Results

In our bracket, Notre Dame beat Nevada 73-55. Our next oppenent will be the Fighting Irish. More on them in a bit.

12 seed Jacksonville upset 5 seed Mississippi State. 4 seed Cleveland State won their first round game. If we were to win our 2nd round game, we would play either Jacksonville or Cleveland State.

ACC Results:

1. Florida State - Beat Sac State 95-70
1. Georgia Tech - Beat Bethune Cookman 109-62
3. Virginia Tech - Beat Northeastern 100-49
4. Clemson - Beat UNLV 77-70
5. Maryland - Beat Fresno State 98-85
6. Boston College - Beat Saint Mary's 68-62
8. North Carolina - Lost to West Virginia 65-62

Very impressive first round from the ACC, a nice change from the past couple years.

8 seed Ohio lost to 9 seed Syracuse, so they're out.

In the Big 10, Wisconsin (7 seed) lost to 10 seed BYU.

2 seed Ohio State crushed Princeton, and 6 seed Northwestern beat Alabama. Virginia Tech and Northwestern play in round 2.

2nd Round Opponent

Notre Dame is now 22-10, they went 12-6 in the Big East and are #31 in the RPI. They're rated 88 OVR, none oftheir ancillary ratings stand out in any way, 90 shooting/91 rebounding. Mike Brey is still there and has 566 career wins.

The Big East landed 6 teams in the NCAA Tournament, but outside of Pitt, a 2 seed, there isn't much to look at. St John's is a 5 seed after struggling to a 9-9 conference record. The other 4 teams are all 9 and 10 seeds. Notre Dame, Syracuse and West Virginia all earned 9 seeds, Villanova a 10. Interestingly enough, all the 9 seeds won in round one, so the Big East is doing well so far.

Notre Dame played 9 games against tournament teams this year, going 5-4. They lost to 2 seed Pitt and 4 seed Florida. They got wins over 5 seed St Johns and a notable(in that I've also played them) win over 6 seed Boston College. They beat BC by 16 at home in December.

Notre Dame is led by 87 rated SF R Causwell, he leads them in scoring at 17.2 points/game. 82 rated Center Ray Marsh averages 15.7 points/game, and 85 rated SG Isaih Gomes scores 11/game.

They shoot a lot of 3's, 40% of thier shots this year, and they play a man to man defense with some 2-3 zone mixed in. They'll press us after baskets and play a tight defense (which is fine, its the 'very tight' defense that gives me fits).

Last edited by Radii : 05-26-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #966
Radii
Head Coach

March 19, 2023 – NCAA Second Round

(1) Florida State (26-6) vs (9) Notre Dame (22-10)

TEAM: FSU|ND
OVR: 94|88
OFF: 93|88
DEF: 94|88
SHT: 93|90

I'd always rather play a mid-major team, but Nevada couldn't pull off the win in round 1, so we get the #4 team in the Big East instead, Notre Dame.

Neither team has any injuries

Scouting

PG Wade McGrain – SO – 76 OVR – 90 speed/83 quickness. 82 defense/78 steals. 83 hands/82 passing. 77 close/76 med/79 3/79 off the dribble. McGrain looks very average. He was a 4* recruit which surprises me, C potential so I guess he develops slow. 4.8 ppg/3.7 apg.

SG Isaih Gomes – SR – 85 OVR – Interesting... 6'7” SF – 84 speed/80 quickness. 84 defense/75 steals. 90 close/79 med/84 3/92 in traffic. Similar athleticism as Causwell, 76 vert/76 str/79 hustle (C+/B+/B-). 11.3 ppg/6.5 rpg.

SF Rodney Causwell – SR – 87 OVR – 6'7” SF - 85 speed/84 quickness. 86 defense/73 blocks/76 steals, all very good for a SF. 90 close/86 med/73 3/83 in traffic. Good, but not great athlete, 83 vert/78 str/77 hustle (B-/B+/B-). 86 off awareness is excellent, 77 def awareness is quite good too, Causwell is a coach on the floor. 17.2 ppg/5.4 rpg.

PF Ted Stevens – SO – 80 OVR – 6'8” PF – 86 orb/84 drb. 80 post off/83 post def. 72 blocks. 92 close/84 in traffic. 72 str, a little low but still solid. Not nearly as good as Marsh but his post ratings are pretty damn good too. We're going to struggle inside. 7 ppg/3.9 rpg.

C Ray Marsh – SR – 82 OVR – 6'10” C – 82 orb/84 drb. 90 post off/85 post def. 87 close/91 in traffic. 80 str, A- and very good. Good but not great awareness. 85 bloks. This is a high quality player, I love his post ratings and he's an ok rebounder(though we should have the edge there). 15.7 ppg/6.6 rpg. I'm definitely worried about him scoring inside on us, and our ability to score over him.

Our big edge here is that they have a lack of depth. Only these 4 guys in the starting lineup are rated over 80. If we can get Stevens and Marsh in foul trouble their backup bigs are rated 68 OVR. They have a couple guards and 3 point shooters off the bench but choose instead to go with the 2 SF lineup. This should give us a big advantage with our speed attacking the rim, but i'm not sure what it will mean when we're on defense.

My biggest concern with this team is our ability to succeed inside on them. Marsh/Stevens look like a very strong defensive duo in the paint. With 3 seniors and a coach on the floor their unity is 81, not much of an edge there.

Half
Time
FSU
ND
Notes
17:45
Their SG Gomes gets 2 quick fouls and sits. Ozier gets two almost as quickly for us. I'll leave him in for now.
13:40
We've got 6 straight after they take a 9-6 lead. We're having a lot of success attacking the rim from the wings, Ozier and Barrett have 10 of our 12 points. Sanders and McCants are a combined 0-3 inside I think. Their SF Causwell has 6 and looks quite good. A dunk by Ozier recently gave us a 6th man boost.
12:30
Forte with a 3 and we're up 5. We've drawn 5 fouls total, McGrain has 2 in addition to Gomes' 2 fouls. Timeout Irish.
11:30
A steal gets us another 6th man boost and we're up 7.
9:57
There is nothing more fun than when Forte is on fire. He has such a pretty 3 point stroke, when they're going in its a thing of beauty. He's got 10 of our first 23. Backups are in finally.
7:07
We're playing really well, rebounding well, scoring inside, hitting a 3 here and there, notre dame takes another timeout.
6:15
Starters are back in after an Alloway 3. Their big men starters return at the same time.
2:25
Ugh. We're on a roll, everything's going right, then Ozier comes out of the game with an injury after he drives into the lane and draws a foul. Day is in for him for now.

HALF
We're playing great, 54% from the field, holding the Irish under 50%. We've got a 15-9 edge on the boards, a +2 turnover margin, and we're making our free throws.

They get 10 from PF Stevens and 8 from SF Causwell. Four of their 5 starters have two fouls, everyone but Stevens. But two of those picked up their 2nd in the final 2-3 minutes so it didn't have a huge impact on the half. McGrain and Gomes, however, picked up their fouls early and that did have a big impact.

Forte has 12, Barrett 8, Ozier and Sanders 6 each.

Ozier is listed as having a sprained ankle, and its listed at 7 days but we know that doesn't necessarily carry over out of game. I have no intention of Ozier playing again this game.
14:40
We're not playing nearly as well but still have a 16 point lead, so that's a good sign. By “not playing as well” the offense isn't flowing as cleanly and we're coming up empty too often, Sanders is all over the boards, he has 5 offensive boards, 3 this half,but only 2 points.

I get the backups in early as Notre Dame calls a timeout. The bigs weren't fully rested at the start of the half, and I want to get a rotation going in the backcourt since I'm only going w/ 9 guys and keeping Ozier out.
Barrett in for Day, day is exhausted.
7:58
We're pretty much coasting at this point, Causwell is good, as are their bigs, and sometimes they're just going to score and there isn't shit we can do, but they can't seem to stop us consistently enough to put together a run.
4:40
Its only down to 13 but I don't want to risk anything at all here, the starters are back in(day instead of Ozier)
Alright, we got this. Day hits a 3, and we run a minute off the clock our next trip down as Sanders gets his 6th offensive board.

Forte hits a couple more 3's as the shot clock is expiring in the last few minutes to up his point total, and we win easily.

(1) Florida State 80
(9) Notre Dame 59

We shoot exactly 50% on the game, Notre Dame is down closer to 40%. Gomes foul trouble in the first two minutes of the first half really hurt them badly. They needed all their best players playing their best games to have a shot at beating us, and they couldn't survive that. PF Stevens scores 15, SF Causwell 14, C Marsh 8 points/8 boards.

Forte: 24 points/3 steals (6-9 from 3)
Barrett: 9 points
Ozier: 6 points
Sanders: 10 points/15 boards (6 offensive)
McCants: 3 points/6 boards

Day: 7 points
Millar: 6 points
Sneed: 6 points/5 boards
McClurkin: 6 points

Forte is just so fun when he's shooting like that. He's fast, a great ball handler, and has a sweet, sweet shot animation. He goes straight up, no leg kicks, no weird jerky shot motions like a lot of players have, just a straight up elevation and shot. Even with in game confidence boosts he's only 77 rated from 3, which is good of course, but not nearly the best I have. Heh, what is the best I have though, is with confidence boosts, his offensive awareness is 87 in game.

We're in the sweet 16!! This is only my second trip this far in my coaching career, so while it was expected as a 1 seed, its quite exciting as well.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #967
Radii
Head Coach

NCAA Second Round Results

12 seeded Jacksonville upsets 4 seed Cleveland State 70-67, so we're getting this year's Cinderella in the Sweet 16.

7 seeded Texas A&M upsets the 2 seed, Pittsburgh, in the bottom half of our bracket. 3 seed Ole Miss takes out 6 seed Boston College. Ole Miss/Texas A&M is who we're looking at if we can win another game.

ACC Results:

1. Florida State 80-59 win over (9) Notre Dame
1. Georgia Tech 103-65 win over (9) Utah
3. Virginia Tech 79-75 win over (6) Virginia Tech
4. Clemson 71-92 loss to (5) St John's
5. Maryland 86-71 win over (4) Marist
6. Boston college 76-82 loss to (3) Ole Miss

4 ACC teams in the Sweet 16.

Northwestern lost to Va Tech, and 2 seed Ohio State lost to 10 seed BYU, the Big 10 is done this year.

Its a rough year for 2 seeds, as Ohio State, Temple, and Pitt all lose in round 2. Oregon rolls though, they seemed like the best 2 seed anyway.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #968
Radii
Head Coach

NCAA Sweet 16

1. Vanderbilt
5. St John's

3. Oregon State
10. BYU

1. LaSalle
5. Maryland

3. Oklahoma State
7. Baylor

1. Georgia Tech
13. Texas

2. Oregon
3. Virginia Tech

1. Florida State
12. Jacksonville

3. Ole Miss
7. Texas A&M

Jacksonville is by far the weakest team left in the tournament. They're rated 81 OVR. Hah! Dave Leitao is at Jacksonville after getting fired by Virginia a couple years ago(last year? I forget). On paper we have a huge edge, and I always did well against Virginia so I have high hopes here.

Ole Miss and Texas A&M are both rated 93 OVR, if we get by Jacksonville we're going to have a tough test ahead of us no matter who we play.

The other big surprise in the sweet 16 is Texas, but they're rated 89 OVR. They just struggled in the regular season, going 7-9 in the Big 12, they're 22-13. I of course assume Georgia Tech will crush them, but I assume Georgia Tech will crush anyone they play.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:26 AM   #969
Radii
Head Coach

Ozier is healthy again, no ill effects from the knock he picked up against Notre Dame.

March 23, 2023 – NCAA Sweet Sixteen

(1) Florida State (27-6) vs (12) Jacksonville (29-6, 14-2)

TEAM: FSU|JU
OVR: 95|81
OFF: 93|82
DEF: 94|79
SHT: 94|85
REB: 96|85
COA: 88|87

We improve to 95 OVR with a little more development as the tournament has gone on. Jacksonville starts four juniors and a soph, this whole team is coming back next year, bad news for the rest of the A-Sun. They're clearly not up to our standards, but we're in a power conference, this is a powerhouse for a tiny conference like the A-Sun, remember when I had NC A&T at 73 OVR and we were the best team in the MEAC?

Jacksonville beat 5 seed Miss State 87-85, and then 4 seed Cleveland State 70-67. As we go into the game I remind all my guys about George Mason.

Scouting

PG Chuck Pompey – JR – 73 OVR – 89 speed/85 quickness. 79 defense. 79 close/81 med/69 3/80 off the dribble. 86 hands/76 passing(both C+). 12.9 ppg/4.1 apg, both lead the team.

SG Darell Norwood – SO – 76 OVR – 87 speed/82 quickness. 81 defense/73 steals. 82 close/84 med/78 3/81 off the dribble. His awareness is abysmal. 65 off/66 def. He has solid offensive abilities and scores 9.6 points/game, but his defense isn't good enough.

SF Darin Gray – JR – 79 OVR – 6'7” SF – 86 speed/81 quickness. 77 defense/72 steals. 86 close/75 med/70 3/83 in traffic. Average awareness.. 74/73 off/def. Average athlete... all his side skills are in the C+/B- range, he actually doesn't look as good as I'd expect a 79 rated guy to look. 9.9 ppg/5.6 rpg.

PF Damien McCray – JR – 75 OVR – 6'8” SF – 78 orb/70 drb. 69 post off/66 post def. 89 close/88 in traffic. Good strength and a decent SF overall, but look at those post skills, Sanders is going to hurt this guy. 8.6 ppg/3.6 rpg.

C Drake Sheridan – JR – 74 OVR – 6'7” PF – 76 orb/78 drb. 78 post off/73 post def. 84 close/81 in traffic.

Their backup bigs are 6'10” but not any better, rated 67 and 68 OVR. That's really where this game seems impossible for them. The AI always seems at least capable of finding offense, but what I see here is a team with no on-ball defenders good enough to check us, and just zero rebounding. Those two factors would seem to give us an overwhelming edge. Of course, we have to remmber that they got here for a reason, and be ready for anything.

Their second best player is actually backup SF Kammron Moreno, a 6'8” SF rated 78 OVR. He averages 8 points/game and looks like a better offensive player than Gray, but his 61 defensive awareness is holding him back quite a bit.

Our unity edge is 93-67 here.
Half
Time
FSU
JU
Notes
14:45
Timeout Jacksonville. McCants has 6, Sanders 3. Seems like its heading to a blowout for exactly the reasons I listed above.
11:45
Backups are in. The only issue at all is Sanders 2 fouls.
9:45
We continue to roll, timeout Jacksonville. The rebound margin is something like 12-2 right now.
6:15
We actually went up 19 before they go on a 6-0 rush. Sneed scores to make it 15 and then we foul and the starters come back in.
1:00
Sanders picks up his 3rd foul and McCants is pretty gassed, so I bring in the backup bigs.

HALF
Another really strong half against a subpar opponent, this is what I wanted against Sacramento State, but it didn't come til the second half there, it was really from the outset here. We shoot 65%, they shoot 45%. We lead 18-8 on the boards.

Their PG Pompey scores 7, and SG Norwood scores 7(on 3-10 shooting). SF Gray has 6, on 2-10 shooting.

McCants gives a little preview of how I hope to use him next year. He goes 7-8 for 14 points inside, scoring twice as many points as anyone else. Sanders, Ozier, Barrett have 5, Sneed/Forte 4.
15:33
The lead reaches 20 for the first time and Jacksonville calls a timeout.
15:20
McCants goes down with a sprained ankle. Dammit! Sneed in.
13:03
Backups are in. Sneed has our last 7 points. Actually Sanders is in since Millar started the 2nd half
10:12
5 straight for jacksonville, Millar comes in for the exhausted Sneed. Heh, and Sanders picks up foul #4.
6:20
We hit a couple 3's, they're clearly outplaying us but I really, really don't want to risk the starters anymore(even with the lowish frequency of injuries... mccants might be hobbled for the next game since its in two days, I will take my chances until/unless this gets under 10 to not risk forte, etc).
3:00
They cut it to 11 and I worry a bit. Back to back 3's by Day and Alloway and its 17 again.

They get it down to 12 again but that's at the 1 minute mark. We cruise easily.

(1) Florida State 83
(12) Jacksonville 71

A fairly boring second half but with injuries, however minor, in each of our last two games I wonder about season long wear and tear(I have no idea if that exists in this game) and decide to just be really boring and run the clock and launch 3's over the final 13 minutes with our backups.

Their SG Norwood scores 15 in the second half to get to 22. PG Pompey hits 13.

Forte: 7 points
Barrett: 5 points
Ozier: 7 points/6 boards
Sanders: 5 points/3 boards
McCants: 19 points/4 boards

McClurkin: 15 points (5-7 from 3)
Sneed: 13 points/7 boards
Day: 8 points

Elite 8 here we come! McCants shot 9 for 11, 19 points in 18 minutes of play.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:36 AM   #970
Radii
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Results

1. Vanderbilt 87
5. St John's 74

3. Oregon State 95
10. BYU 91

5. Maryland 102
1. LaSalle 87

3. Oklahoma State 97
7. Baylor 65

1. Georgia Tech 80
13. Texas 68

2. Oregon 107
3. Virginia Tech 80

1. Florida State 83
12. Jacksonville 71

3. Ole Miss 84
7. Texas A&M 80

Elite Eight Matchups

1. Vanderbilt
3. Oregon State

5. Maryland
3. Oklahoma State

1. Georgia Tech
2. Oregon

1. Florida State
3. Ole Miss

go maryland!

McCants has a sprained ankle that will limit him until the final four. I'll have to decide whether that warrants starting Sneed against Ole Miss or not. Sneed has been outstanding in the latter half of the season.

Ole Miss is rated 93 OVR and looks solid. They have the #10 RPI and finished 2nd to 1 seed Vandy in a very tough SEC (the #2 conference behind the ACC this year).

They have a high powered, star powered offense. 91 rated SG DeMario Famutimi averages 22 points/game, and they have 88 rated small forward and power forwards. They look to have a small weakness at center with a 76 rated soph center.

They've very top heavy, they have 4 players rated 88 or better, including a backup SF. but their 10th man is a 6'10" PF rated 67 OVR. I haven't looked closely at the ratings, except for the superstar SG, he was a 1st team all american last year with 22 points/game, and came back for another year and got better.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:55 AM   #971
Radii
Head Coach

I decide to start Sneed over McCants today with McCants' nagging ankle injury. Sneed has been playing very well whenever he's been in in for quite some time as well. He's not quite as good a rebounder but I expect very little dropoff overall.

March 25, 2023 – NCAA Elite Eight

(1) Florida State (28-6) vs (3) Mississippi (25-7)

TEAM: FSU|MISS
OVR: 95|93
OFF: 93|93
DEF: 94|90
SHT: 94|94
REB: 96|93

We've coasted to the Elite Eight, blowing out our toughest opponent and getting a Cinderella who had gone as far as they were able to in the Sweet 16. This will be my second shot at getting to a final four, the first coming during a cardiac style run to the Elite Eight with Arkansas, playing three incredible games in a row that were all 1-2 point thrillers. Its a lot different as the favorite, as after 3 fairly boring games we've got to come out and play at our highest level just like that.

Ole Miss is a very strong team, 2nd in the SEC behind #1 in the nation Vanderbilt. They average 86 points/game, and they have a returning 1st team all american in SG Famutimi. He terrifies me. I'm reminded of Ga Tech's SG Shavies, I don't think we've held him under 20 the last 5 times we've played them. Famutimi averages 22, I would not be surprised to see him put up 35 here.

Scouting

PG Martynas Rost – JR – 83 OVR – 93 speed/89 quickness. 89 defense/76 steals. 83 hands/93 passing, average handling but great(A) passing. 81 close/71 med/74 3/92 off the dribble. 78 off awareness/77 def awareness. None of these guys have weak awareness. Rost is a solid compliment to these 88+ rated guys. 5.5 ppg/3.7 rpg.

SG DeMario Famutimi – SR – 91 OVR – 94 speed/88 quickness. 88 defense/88 steals. 88 close/89 med/88 3/88 off the dribble/87 in traffic. 97 hustle, decent leaper, good strength for a guard. 76 off awareness/78 def awareness. A true bonafide superstar, freshman of the year a few years ago, improved as a soph, 23.1 ppg as a junior, 22.3 ppg as a senior.

JR Timmy Batte – JR – 88 OVR – 6'7” SF – 86 speed/80 quickness. 79 defense/82 steals. A great offesnive rebounder(88). And a great post player if he needs to be, Ozier sure won't be posting him up. 85 close/92 med/74 3/6 in traffic. Batte averages 11.4 ppg.

JR Glenn Almond – JR – 88 OVR – 6'9” PF – 81 orb/84 drb. 83 post off/79 post def. 78 blocks/68 steals. 94 close/92 med/77 3/92 in traffic. 84 off awarenes/82 def, coach on the floor easy. 80 str, great hustle as well. Almond is the #2 man on the team for obvious reasons, 15.2 ppg/6.0 rpg.

C Cameron Bazin – SO – 76 OVR – 6'9” C – 83 orb/80 drb. 87 post off/76 post def. 72 blocks(C+, not great really). 90 close/82 in traffic. 87 str, very very strong. 70 off awareness/69 def awareness.

6'10” SF Shavlik Pearson is rated 88 OVR and comes off the bench. He has guard speed, PF rebounding and can score from all over. 93 close/82 in traffic, a good mid range shot. He aveages 9 ppg/6 rpg off the bench.

Backup SG Rans Jorgusen is rated 81 OVR, a freshman, with a 91 rated 3 point shot. A solid threat off the bench, he has no awareness but looks like a great spot up shooter. 6.1 ppg.

It would appear that our edge comes inside. We have a big height advantage, a solid enough rebounding advatnage. Their bigs are good enough in the post that I don't expect to walk all over them, but I do expect to have some success attacking the rim and think its not unlikely that we can get them in foul trouble, and win the rebounding battle.

They go 9 deep rated 75+. They aren't as deep or as talented top to bottom as we are, and that's where we'll hopefully be able to take advantage. Their stars are incredible though.

We have a 94-86 unity edge, pretty minimal really.
Half
Time
FSU
MISS
Notes
16:15
We get on the board first with a Sneed 3 point play and all our early points come inside. Sneed has 5, Sanders 2.
13:41
They hit a 3 to make it 9-7, then Forte hits two straight 3's for us and Barrett draws a foul and scores 2 at the line, we're playing outstanding early. Timeout Ole Miss.
Backups are in.
9:35
They hit threes on back to back possessions, and I go cold. An offensive rebound on a later possession gives them a 6th man boost, though they miss the putback and we rebound. I call a timeout to kill the 6th man.
5:45
The starters have been queued up for awhile now but I am not using timeouts if I don't need to. They scored 12 straight on 3's to get from 7 to 19 points but we stayed ahead the whole time. They've cut it to 1 twice, at 22-21, Day hit a 3 then Alloway got a layup on the break to make it 27-21, and they just scored again to make it a 4 point game. Anyway, backups are still in but theyre scoring now so its all good.
4:50
Starters are finally back in as Alloway commits a reach in.

HALF
We score the last 4 points of the half and take a solid 9 point lead into the locker room. Really everything is going well. We're shooting 60%, they are at 50%. We are getting points from all over, no one is ice cold or anything, our offense is just working, and while they're dangerous, they're not as consistent as we are right now.

SF Batte is 3-3 from 3, 9 points. SG Famutimi is 2-2 from 3 and has 8 points. A number of others have 2-4 points. They're 5-10 from 3.

Sanders is really strong, 4-5 on the half for 8 points. He attacked the rim well and was hitting his post shots when he could back his man down. Sneed has 5 points, so we're solid in the paint. Forte and Barrett have 6 each, Forte has 2 3's, Barrett all driving to the rack.

We have a 13-10 edge on the boards, turnovers are even.
18:04
Holy crap!! Famutimi misses his first two 3's of the half. Forte hits one, then Barrett burns his man in the half court, we go up 45-31. On the next trip they throw the ball away trying to feed the post, and Barrett gets a dunk in transition. The next trip they fall over trying to bring the ball upcourt, Forte grabs it and goes in for a dunk, we have a big 6th man boost going and all of a sudden are up 18!!!!
17:07
We build the lead up to 21 before they finally hit a 3 to get on the board in the second half.
15:34
Mississippi finally realizes how dire their situation has become and calls a timeout. Forte just hit another open 3 and Sneed is in double figures down low.
11:55
Sneed scores 8 straight(55->63) and then Barrett gets a bucket and we actually take a 25 point lead, they're on an 8-0 run now. Batte is trying to keep them in the game by himself. He's 5-6 from 3 and just picked up a 3 point play, he's got 20 total. I get a timeout and get the backups in.
10:45
Day hits a 3, they get a TO.
9:05
Day has our last 9 points in a row, he's got 14 total and is showing the type of explosiveness I am going to hope he can give us next season as a starter, he's streaky but when he is hot from 3 with his insanely high 3 point ratings holy crap he's good. We are up 27!!! timeout Miss.
5:00
They score 7 straight but with 5 minutes left we still lead by 20. The backups are staying in unless Ole Miss can make a run.
4:05
Day hits another 3 and we lead by 21 with just over 4 left. I'm not saying anything yet, no jinxing!
2:00
Still up 17, I'll go ahead and say it. FINAL FOUR HERE WE COME!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo

(1) Florida State 79
(3) Mississippi 64

Otis Sneed is the player of the game, I guess the decision to start him over McCants was a good one. Greg shows us the pontiac game changing performance and its a dunk by Forte, its the steal in the backcourt and dunk early in the second half when we got off to such a great start.

Batte is there star today. He goes 5-6 from 3, 8-13 from the floor and scores 22. Famutimi scores 13, but Barrett does a great job limiting his ability to drive and create easy looks for himself. PF Almond 8, PG Rost 7, C Bazin 6, backup SF Pearson 6 and a backup guard scored 2 for them.

They shoot 9-18 from 3 but its nowhere near enough.

Forte: 14 points (4-6 from 3)
Barrett: 12 points
Ozier: 3 points/3 boards/3 steals
Sanders: 8 points/4 boards
Sneed: 16 points/7 boards

Day: 17 points (4-9 from 3)
Alloway: 4 points
McClurkin 3 points/5 boards (go go PG Rebounding)
Millar: 2 points/5 boards
McCants: 0 points/1 board

We win the rebound battle 27-24, and we keep up with their great 3 point shooting, going 9-20 from 3. We just shoot better and they cannot stop us, while we were able to limit their all american to about 10 points under his average.

FLORIDA STATE IS GOING TO THE FINAL FOUR
Old 05-28-2009, 03:12 AM   #972
Radii
Head Coach

We play on Saturday, Georgia Tech doesn't play til Sunday, so I don't know who my opponent will be until I sim ahead a day. Of course I expect to see Georgia Tech, I firmly believe they are the best team I have ever played in this game. I don't really know anything about Vanderbilt, and they have been #1 for awhile, but I don't think it can be much of a stretch to claim that Georgia Tech and Florida State are the two best teams in the nation. Now, to sim ahead and see if we get them again in the final four:

Elite Eight Results

1. Vanderbilt 79
3. Oregon State 65

3. Oklahoma State 84
5. Maryland 82

2. Oregon 80
1. Georgia Tech 64

1. Florida State 79
3. Ole Miss 64

Final Four Pairings

1. Vanderbilt
3. Oklahoma State

2. Oregon
1. Florida State

Georgia Tech goes down!!! While a 4th meeting with them could have been epic, I really don't think we could beat them. Heh wow, Oregon looks pretty damn good temselves! Like Georgia Tech, one of their roster strength numbers, Shooting, is a perfect 100. Thankfully there's no 100 rebounding though.

The first thing i see when I look at Oregon is a 90 rated PG. We played the likely 1st team All American shooting guard in the elite eight, and we're probably seeing the 1st team point guard in the final four, PG Stephen See averages 22 points/game, 4 boards and over 4 assists. Their starters at PG/SG/SF are rated 88/90/91 from 3 point range. Four of their five starters are rated 87+.

They clearly are not a size team though. They start a 6'8" PF at center and they appear to start a 6'7" SF at the 4 spot. The center is rated 87 OVR and is a monster inside, but anyone else they can put in the post has serious deficiencies.

They have tons of guards, their top 11 players are all rated 81 OVR or better. Literally everyone on their roster but the PF can shoot the 3, and I mean well. I think their worst shooter on their entire roster, outside of that one big, is rated 77 from 3.

Their defenders look ok, but not great. I expect a game similar to that which we usually play against Georgia Tech. Lots of scoring, i wouldn't be surprised to see both teams shoot well over 60% for long stretches. The big difference is that we have the size and the rebounding.

Now that we've made the final four, I'm guaranteed 3 coaching points... 1 seed, final four, and having a player drafted. Obviously now that we are in the final four anything is possible!
Old 05-28-2009, 06:44 AM   #973
hoopsguy
General Manager

Congrats on the Final Four run!

You mentioned that you are in line to have a player drafted - what are the projected pro prospects for your guys right now? I don't recall seeing this mentioned earlier in the year.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #974
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Congrats on the Final Four run!

thanks!

Quote:
You mentioned that you are in line to have a player drafted - what are the projected pro prospects for your guys right now? I don't recall seeing this mentioned earlier in the year.

SF Ozier (88 OVR): Lottery
PG Forte (87 OVR): First Round
SG Barrett (87 OVR): Second Round
PF Sanders (85 OVR): Second Round
PG Alloway (84 OVR): Second Round

PF Sneed (85 OVR) - undrafted

I don't have NBA 2k8 and don't save my draft classes, I may save this one off though the chances I ever do anything with it are virtually 0.

McCants is rated 85 OVR and is a dark horse candidate to sneak into the draft as a junior, I assume he'll at least make the second round, hopefully higher after a final year of improvement.

Interesting to me is that our top recruit ever, SF Roberto Mayer, is projected as a second round pick right now. I'm redshirting him, he'll be a RS Soph next year. He's rated 83 OVR presently and is a virtual lock to be my starting SF the rest of his college career. Having an underclassmen drafted is another coaching point, so while I never want to lose a guy early, Mayer could easily be a very high pick after his junior year and head off to the NBA.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:57 AM   #975
Radii
Head Coach

April 1, 2023 – NCAA Final Four

(1) Florida State (29-6) vs (2) Oregon (33-4)

TEAM: FSU|ORE
OVR: 95|95
OFF: 94|96
DEF: 94|92
SHT: 95|100
REB: 96|94
COA: 88|95

If the roster strength's are to be believed, they have a better offense, we have a better defense. They have better shoooters, and we have a small rebounding edge. From what I've seen of the rosters, I would tend to agree with all of that except I feel we ought to have a large rebounding edge. They've shot 40.5% from 3 on the year. That's really, really high heh.

I am starting Otis Sneed at PF today, Sanders at Center. Both Sneed and Sanders are better with the ball, can step out to 15 feet a lot easier than McCants, but still have the size to muscle inside. I believe Sneed will match up a lot better with the smaller guys Oregon will be playing at the 4 spot today than McCants.

Barrett will be asked to defend their potential all-american PG, Stephen See. He's their leading scorer. They're all deadly from 3, but See seems to be the threat they go to the most often, so Barrett gets him.

After starting out 19-0, Oregon lost 3 straight conference games. And after those 3 losses, they've gone 15-1, losing only to the #2 team in the Pac 10, 28-8/3 seed Oregon State. They redeemed themselves by beating Oregon State to win the pac 10 tournament.

They struggled a little with 15 seed UNC Asheville in the first round, only winning 86-75. After that, they beat (7) UTEP by 44, (3) Virginia Tech by 27, and (1) Georgia Tech by 16. We've had similar resounding success in our run to the final four, so this is a pretty big clash between two powerhouse teams!

Scouting

PG Stephen See – SR – 90 OVR – 93 speed/90 quickness. 81 defense/83 steals. 91 hands/92 passing. 86 close/81 med/88 3/89 off the dribble/85 in traffic. Coach on the floor with 84 off awareness/80 def awareness. Above average, but not great, athleticism. See is a wonderful offensive player, his on ball defense is a little low. He averages 22.4 ppg/4.7 rpg/4.6 apg. A potential top pick in the upcoming draft.

SG Owen Birley – SO – 87 OVR – 93 speed/89 quickness. 85 defense/74 steals. 87 close/78 med/90 3/79 off the dribble. Again, excellent awareness. 84 off/77 def. 10.6 ppg, birley is incredible for a sophomore. He's only a 35% 3 point shooter.

SF Jaja Boylen – SR – 88 OVR – 6'4” SF – 87 speed/83 quickness. 81 defense/70 steals. 84 close/79 med/91 3/83 in traffic. Incredible awareness, 84 off/87 def. He's a great athlete, 85 vert/80 str/80 hustle, an outstanding dunker . 9.5 ppg/4.8 rpg. Boylan is shooting 45% from 3 on the season.

PF Dedrick Erwin – JR – 87 OVR – 6'8” PF – 86 orb/82 drb. 84 post off/82 post def. 74 blocks, 72 steals too. 97 close/87 in traffic. A great leaper, strong, and again, elite awareness... 90 off/81 def. 14.0 ppg/5.9 rpg.

C Darrell McCrommon – JR – 85 OVR – 6'7” SF (why is the SF at center???) - 78 orb/78 drb. 68 post off/70 post def. Terrible shot blocker. 91 close/82 med/86 3/84 off the dribble/87 in traffic. A great leaper, dunker, solid strength... also good awareness, 74 off/82 def. Just 4.7 ppg and hopefully with us using Sneed in the lineup(much quicker/better outside the paint than McCants), we can handle their smaller lineup.

Backup SG Phillip Hacker is rated 85 OVR and is an 87 rated 3 point shooter, 5 points/game.

Backup PG RJ Hobbs is rated 81 OVR, he's their best on ball defender, rated 89 there, and can shoot from all over. He's the worst 3 point shooter on the team with a 76 3 point rating. 4.9 ppg.

They have no big man depth but a couple other guards rated 79-80 or so. We'll just have to see how the matchups play out on the floor. We'll try to dominate in the post obviously, and try to contain their smaller, faster, great shooting starting 5.

Our unity is 93, theirs 90.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:57 AM   #976
Radii
Head Coach

Half
Time
FSU
ORE
Notes
16:30
Forte hits a 3 to open the scoring, we're cold otherwise though, Sneed and Sanders both have a miss or two. See just hit a 3 for them for their first points. I've been slowing the game down some and a couple offensive boards have exaggerated that a bit. Oregon is playing half man/half 2-3 so far.
13:15
We go up 5-3 on two free throws from Sneed and they score 6 straight. A steal gives them a 6th man boost and I call a timeout after they convert on the other end in transition.
12:30
Another steal and another 6th man boost for Oregon.
10:22
Backups are in. Forte hit a 2nd three, they answered. Sanders gets two at the line.
8:00
McCants has two fouls already, and we are very cold. Day and Alloway miss 3's, Millar misses a hook in the post and McCants misses a seemingly very easy look going to the rim over a much, much smaller guy.
5:00
We get a bucket from Alloway and two free throws from Day, they answer with 4 straight. See has 7 points, he hasn't missed.
4:30
Alloway drives to the hoop and scores. Oregon takes a timeout. Starters are finally ready to come back in. I am hoarding my timeouts in case the 6th man goes nuts in the 2nd half, so I was leaving the backups in as long as I could. Starters back.
3:07
They go up 8, Sanders misses in the post, they miss though and we get Sneed the ball on the secondary break and he finishes iwht a left handed jam. With that bucket my four post players are now 1-8 from the floor. We have to dominate inside...
2:27
Ozier commits his 2nd foul.

HALF
We get it down to 4 but they hit a buzzer beating 3 to take a 7 point lead into the locker room. So the bad news is we trail by 7 and only managed 24 first half points. The good news is that we didn't do anything we wanted, played like shit, shot 29% from the field... and only trail by 7.

Oregon is 12-25 from the field, a below average(forthem) 4-11 from 3, and 3-4 at the line. PG See and SF Boylan each have 7 for them. Their top backup, SG Hacker, has 4. They lead the rebound battle 14-12, though that in part is due to our horrid shooting.

We're 7-24, 2-12 from 3, 8-8 at the line. Forte hit 2 of his first three 3 point attempts, then missed 4 straight. One of them was at the end of the shot clock, the other 3 though were good open shots. Gotta hit those, Forte being solid from 3 is one of the reasons we have done so well in the tournament. Day, Alloway and McClurkin combine for 0-5 from 3 as well.

Then there's our post game. Its abysmal. I need to shoot faster in the post. When I try to back down a smaller guy, they have their hands guys swiping at the ball like crazy. But when I am getting post looks, they're not going. Sneed got that one dunk, that's it. Sneed 1-3, Sanders 0-2, McCants 0-1, Millar 0-2.

Given the shooting disparity and the fact that they're beating us in the places where we should have the edge, we can easily come back and win this, but we've got to improve soon.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:58 AM   #977
Radii
Head Coach

17:55
Well, we score on our first 3 possessions, including two dunks by Sanders. But, they score on their first three possessions too, including a bucket and two free throws from their one big man, who takes sneed out to the perimeter and just abuses him. Sneed played ok defense the first time and I thought made a good stop but got called for a foul, the second time Erwin just went straight to the hole and embarrassed us.
17:45
Ozier with a reach, he's got 3. I'm leaving him in, I'd like him out there but if he picks up a 4th I could do with another 3 point shooter instead, so meh.
15:40
They go back up 9 again and this time we get 4 straight, two transition buckets by Barrett, one after a miss, one after a steal. We get a 3rd stop, Forte misses a 3, Sanders gets the offensive board, but misses the putback. The good news though is that the offensive board got us a 6th man boost. We sure could have used the putback to cut it to three...
13:43
Sanders fails in the post twice in a row and they go back up 8, should have been 9 but they missed a free throw.
13:20
We pick up our fifth foul of the half, trouble brewing there, but the big news here is that See comes down injured after drawing this most recent foul. For now at least, their best player is on the bench.
11:30
Forte hits a 3, he's only 3-10 but all but one of them have been good open shots, and he has 11 points. Barrett has 10, most in transition. We've got the ball back with a chance to get the deficit under 5, and the backups are in. See has a strained Achilles so he can come back but will likely be hobbled.
10:35
Ugh. Alloway misses a jumper, they miss on their end. McCants misses, Day boards, Day misses.... they get the rebound and we foul them. Its our 7th so they're shooting the rest of the way. First FT good, second no good, but they board and put it back in. We had 3 good looks to cut the lead to 3, and instead its an 8 point game.
8:03
They just aren't letting us get anything here... day hits a 3, then goes 1-2 at the lie and we cut it to 4, 47-43. They come right back down and drain a 3. We get a deuce, they get a 3 point play... and its 8 again.
7:13
McClurkin with a 3, they miss, McClurkin out on the break, he goes up for a dunk, he misses but he'sfouled! And misses the first free throw, arrrgggh!!!! He makes the second, and its a 4 point game again.
6:47
Our luck turns, briefly at least! They finally miss a shot after we cut it under 5, missing a wide open 3 actually, and we get on the break, McCants finishing with a layup inside, 2 point game!!!
6:11
Their SG drives, but McCants is there to force a difficult shot, its no good, Hacker(their backup guard that is having a very solid game) pulls it down, goes up again but McCants is still forcing tough looks, Alloway comes out of the lane with it, pushes the ball up the court, pulls up for an open 3 in transition, GOOOOOD. We take the lead!!! 6th man boost for us, timeout Oregon.

I bring the starters back in, and use my first coaching emphasis of the half to stress defense. Don't let them go on a run after this timeout!
4:33
6th man boosts for both teams, this is the “holy shit 1 point game in the final five minutes of the final four” boost as both teams fans go nuts I can only assume(happens in close conference tourney games too). They get two open looks on the baseline, both for McCrommon, he misses both. Our first trip Forte drives but puts up a tough shot over their bigs and misses. The second Sneed hits a turnaround with just a couple seconds left on the shot clock. That's our first basket actually coming from a post move. Sneed and Sanders have a couple dunks inside, McCants a layup in traffic, but this is the first time one of our bigs has caught the ball in the post, backed in a defender and scored on him.

We're on an 11-0 run, timeout Oregon!
We get a bucket from Barrett and extend our run to 13-0. They respond finally with 4 straight from SF Boylen, back to a 1 point game, our ball. They have not brought their star guard, See, back in yet. Their backups are very very good so its probably better having a healthy backup.
2:26
Barrett burns his man and drives, drawing a foul. Both Fts good. They have only 4 team fouls now(we're at 8 I believe). Timeout Oregon.
2:13
They go to PF Erwin on the baseline who hits an open jumper, one point game.
1:43
Sanders beats his man in the post for a layup, back up to a 3 point lead, under 2 to go! Sanders has 8 now. Oregon with another timeout, they're burning through them like crazy now, just one left.
1:39
Barret fouls their center as he cuts to the basket and goes up strong. He makes the first but misses the second, we rebound!
1:00
We try twice to get Sanders a look inside, he catches the ball in really tough spots to score though. At the end of the shot clock Forte puts a move on his man to create enough space to get off a shot, but its not really a good one, and its no good. Oregon ball.
0:43
They get it inside to Erwin who seems fairly open, Forte and Sanders are... kinda standing near him? As he goes up and dinks a hook off the front rim. He picks it back up, goes up again and Sanders alters his shot, its off the rim again, Sneed rebounds!!!! 10 second difference in the game and shot clock.
0:10.1
We work it into Sneed, he can't get a good shot, kicks it out to Forte, fakes his man into the air, sidesteps, takes the 3 he's been making reliably all season for me, but this one isn't good. However, SANDERS!!!! offensive rebound!!! He's fouled immediately.
0:06.6
They have to commit 2 more fouls before we're shooting free throws. I make sure Barrett is the one to get to the line. The biggest free throw of Barrett's life...GOOD!!! the second free throw.... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pull my defenders back, Ozier is still stupid enough to commit a foul, and they make two free throws but its just with a second left, Forte catches the ball and the clock expires.

Barrett is the player of the game with 16 points, he was very good today. Sanders' bucket inside with 1:43 left to put us up 62-59 is the pontiac game changing performance.

(1) Florida State 64
(2) Oregon 62

Their superstar PG See plays 22 minutes, doesn't miss a shot and scores only 8 points. If he didn't get injured the outcome could have very, very easily been different. Oregon fans will certainly be lamenting his loss on message boards across the country tomorrow.

SF Boylan scored 15 for them and was very good throughout. Backup guard Hacker scored 9, and pulled down 8 boards. PF Erwin had 7 points/7 boards. Their only letdown was SG Birley, he was cold in the first half, and once See went down, he had Barrett sticking to him for much of the second half. Birley went 1-5 from 3 point land and just 1-8 from the floor for 3 points.

Forte: 11 points/2 assists/2 steals (4-15, 3-12 from 3)
Barrett: 16 points/2 boards
Ozier: 2 points/6 boards
Sneed: 6 points/7 boards
Sanders: 8 points/9 boards

Alloway: 7 points
McClurkin: 6 points
McCants: 2 points/5 boards
Millar: 0 points/0 boards/1 assist

We end up shooting 22-54, 6-21 from 3. Forte's average would be something like 5-12, but he was a bit off today. He still drained a few very big shots for us.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:12 AM   #978
Radii
Head Coach

Final Four Results

3. Oklahoma State 90
1. Vanderbilt 83

1. Florida State 62
2. Oregon 60

National Championship

1. Florida State
3. Oklahoma State

Well, the last two rounds we've lucked out and not had to play Georgia Tech, and now Vanderbilt. This is a very strong final four all the way around though, so Oklahoma State is nothing to sneeze at. They're #8 in the nation and are a solid 28-7.

They were a bit cold coming into the NCAA Tournament, having lost 3 of their last 4 regular season games, and then losing to Baylor in the Big 12 Semifinals. Baylor was also a tournament team. The Cowboys obviously heated up in the tournament though, beating two teams from the Big 12 thanks to the fact that the brackets ignore conferences. OSU's run to the final four:

beat 14. Sam Houston State 87-77
beat 6. Kansas 90-80
beat 7. Baylor 97-65
beat 5. Maryland 84-82 (OT)
beat 1. Vanderbilt 90-83

They have a strong, balanced lineup with 4 juniors and 1 senior, all rated between 84 and 87.

87 rated SF Xavier Vitelli leads them with 17.9 points/game.
86 rated SG Andrew Payne scores 14.1, and 85 rated C Francis Sparrow scores 10.8.

They don't look like a great 3 point shooting team, their best 3 point shooter is 35.4%.

In the "who to foul" section of the scouting report, I am informed that my best bet if I need to put them on the line is to go after C Sparrow or SG Brower, as they are the worst free throw shooters they have... 73.4%, 73.9%.

Their bigs are actually bigs. Not very tall ones, but they're actually listed as power forwards, instead of poor in the post SF's out of position.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #979
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Grats on the win!
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:07 AM   #980
Radii
Head Coach

April 3, 2023 – NCAA Championship

(1) Florida State (30-6) vs (3) Oklahoma State (28-7)

TEAM: FSU|OSU
OVR: 95|94
OFF: 94|92
DEF: 94|92
SHT: 95|93
COA: 88|95

Sean Sutton has 378 wins at Oklahoma State now, he's a solid, A rated coach with a 378-195 record. He has one championship already. Oklahoma State went to the final four in 2015, and won the national championship in 2019. Every 4 years it looks like, as they're back in 2023. Neither OSU or FSU have any injuries

I decide to start Sneed in the championship game again. Sneed just seems to do so much better than McCants against smaller/more agile bigs.

Scouting

PG Omar Ball – JR – 86 OVR – 94 speed/86 quickness. 90 defense/78 steals. 84 hands/84 passing. Just C+ ball handling there. 82 close/87 med/77 3/86 off the dribble. 79 off awareness/77 def awareness. 89 hustle, very solid, decent leaper. His defense is better than anyone we faced on Oregon. 8.4 ppg/3.4 apg.

SG Andrew Payne – JR – 86 OVR – 91 speed/91 quickness. 93 defense/70 steals. Natural PG, actually. 91 hands/88 passing. 87 close/75 med/81 3/87 off the dribble. 87 off awareness(very very very good)/75 def awareness. 14.1 ppg/5.0 apg, a very good player, outstanding defender.

SF Xavier Vitelli – SR – 87 OVR – 6'8 SF - 89 speed/82 quickness. 82 defense/81 steals. 89 close/80 med/72 3/92 in traffic. Decent athlete, not great. 76 off awareness/81 def awareness. He's an outstanding dunker(93/A). Good off the dribble too (81/A- for a SF). A good post player and rebounder, about the same level as Ozier. 17.9 ppg/6.3 rpg.

PF Ryon Shiloh – JR – 84 OVR – 6'6” PF – 92 orb/83 drb. 92 post off/83 post def. 89 close/91 in traffic. 77 str, 74 off awareness/77 def awareness, all solid. He looks like a brilliant post player, but at 6'6” I wonder how effective that can be. 9.3 ppg/4.6 rpg.

C Francis Sparrow – JR – 85 OVR – 6'9” PF – 92 orb/79 drb. 86 post off/85 post def. 87 blocks. 84 close/81 med/71 3/92 in traffic. 73 str, not bad but not great. 77 off awreness/83 def awareness. 10.8 ppg/4.7 rpg.

Backup SF Rich Weisse is rated 84 OVR, a 6'7” SF who looks like a great guy inside, 7.8 ppg/6.0 rpg, he sees time backing up the post players probably too.

Oklahoma State only has 7 guys rated above 80, though two more backups are 79 OVR/78 Ovr. Their only true post backup is a 6'10” guy rated 73 OVR, Treg Huffman. He has very good post skills but isn't a good rebounder or scorer.

They don't have as much post depth as we do, but their post players are very, very skilled. I worry about my ability to score inside, even when we drive. Barrett got 16 against Oregon mainly because he was so much better driving to the hoop than the big men he was going at. Here I could see him attacking and coming up empty a lot.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:10 AM   #981
Radii
Head Coach

Half
Time
FSU
OSU
Notes
16:30
The clock stops for the first time as there's a reach on OSU. They haven't missed yet, a 3 and 3 good looks inside. Vitelli has 4 points/1 assist/1 block. On our side, Sanders is smoking hot. I was worried about our ability to score in the post, but Sanders has hit 3 great post shots, a hook and two turnarounds. Ozier has the only miss of the game so far, he drove to the rim and Vitelli stuffed him cold.
14:20
OSU misses for the first time all day as their PG drives the lane and takes a bad runner. Unfortunately, he picks up the rebound and puts it back in... so they still haven't come up empty on a single possession. Forte is 0-2 from 3, Barrett has two free throws and Sneed a putback.
11:23
We get a couple stops finally, and had the lead down to 1, 15-14, but have allowed them to hit a 3 and then a fast break layup after a dumb turnover. I get a timeout to get my backups in. Sanders is 4-4 for 8 points, he's playing so well. Vitelli leads them with 7.
8:00
So Vitelli might score 40. He's got 13 already and he has a quick trigger finger, a decent outside shot, and great speed to get the ball on the break... We may end up letting him get his points and try to stop everyone else. Day can't do shit about it, that's for sure.
7:38
Much like Clemson's PF also named Vitelli, it seems worth pointing out that Vitelli just sat down, hopefully we can take advantage.
5:30
I use my second timeout to get my starters back in. They weren't fully rested, as OSU hasn't used a timeout yet so this is going by pretty fast. The timeout gets them ready though. Our last 6 have come at the line, as Day and McClurkin have had good luck driving by their defenders and drawing contact inside.
They push the lead up to 8, just 2 more than a couple minutes ago, but the reason why is my problem. We stop them twice in a row in the half court set and get a nice bucket by Ozier, but we've also made two very poor passes that have been intercepted and taken in for easy layups by the Cowboys.
3:25
Vitelli is back in for them, as are two other starters who were resting. Barrett drives to the hoop to cut it to 6.
1:05
SANDERS! We're on an 8-0 run and have tied the game. I notice that Sanders has their 73 rated backup big on him, and go to him 4 straight trips. He gets a shot blocked once, but the other 3 times he is perfect, he has 14 and its a tie game.

HALF
We've got a good looking title game 20 minutes in. And this is kinda what I expected from the Oregon game, but its materializing here instead. OSU shoots 64%, we shoot 58%. Vitelli is 6-9 and leads them with 13. SG Payne is 4-6 and has 9 points, PG Ball is 3-3, 7 points. That's about 75% of their scoring right there. They're 18-28, 3-6 from 3.

We are 13-23, 0-4 from 3, but we also drew 7 fouls in the first half and are a perfect 10-10 from the free throw line. Sanders is obviously the man at the half, he's 7-9 for 14 points to lead all scorers. Barrett has 6, as does Day off the bench. Ozier has 4, Sneed 2. Forte is scoreless. Forte was such a stud in our first four tournament games, but damn if he hasn't struggled big time in the final four and finals. He has an outstanding defender on him right now of course, but I'd like to get him going a little if I can.

We lead the boards, 9-8. Its obviously anyone's game with a half to go!
19:03
So often the guys who are hot in one half disappear in the next... not so far here though! Ozier picks up a quick foul, but then picks up a turnover, Sanders gets a big dunk coming through on the secondary break. We force a miss, Sanders gets the board, we can't break this time but Sanders gets the ball in the paint and attacks and puts us ahead by one!!! He's got 18 now and we have a 6th man boost going.
17:10
Sanders scores again and has 20, they tie it up with a 3 from Vitelli, and then Forte gets a layin to finally get on the board. I'm as pleased about that as I am Sanders having 20 already.
15:50
Vitelli with 2 more and he has 18, and they take the lead from the line after Sneed is stripped and they are off on the break. The FT to take the lead gives OSU a 6th man boost, I take my 3rd timeout, 3 left.
15:10
We miss again, they get a layup inside after running their offense, and they get another 6th man boost. No timeout here, we're just going to slow it down and run this one out.
12:37
Ozier and Sneed score to tie it up, Vitelli hits a shot in the post to put them back up two, and Vitelli has matched Sanders with 20 points. My backups come in after a reach in foul by Vitelli, his 2nd.
11:50
Day drains a contested 3 in the corner as the shot clock expires to give us the lead!! (McClurkin had missed a 3 and we boarded... explaining the 50 second posession there)
Old 05-29-2009, 04:10 AM   #982
Radii
Head Coach

9:25
Dueling mismatches... Vitelli can go right over and through Day to score at will, and Day can use his speed to get around Vitelli with ease and get to the rim uncontested. They trade baskets a couple trips, Day now has 13 and is having an outstanding offensive game for us. They miss a 3, we board, and the board gives us a 6th man boost. We get Millar a dunk on the secondary break, we're up 3 and OSU calls a timeout. They rest vitelli after the timeout.
7:30
They make a free throw, then McClurkin hits a 3, and we're up 5. They get a good look inside on their end, then after a turnover by McCants, Ball hits an open 3 and they tie it up. The turnover generated a 6th man boost their way. I call a timeout, two left for me, and get my starters back in. They get Vitelli back in.
5:40
Heh, we go straight to Sanders who gets his 22nd point of the game and the lead. They go straight to Vitelli who hits a 3 to give OSU the lead back. We turn it over on our end and Vitelli gets a dunk in transition, he has 29. They have the 6th man going, I'm not calling a TO with just 2 left.
Barrett goes off a screen and misses an easy two inside. He picks up the board though and makes a nice interior pass to Sanders for a dunk. Ball hits his 3rd three on the other end to put OSU up four, but Forte comes through with his first three for us, back to one. They hit a mid-range jumper and that's where we're at now, 3 point game with under 4 to go.
3:34
Barrett pump fakes out on the wing, gets his man in the air and streaks to the basket, he makes a layup and is fouled by Vitelli!! The free throw is good, tie game!
3:17
They shoot quickly, a bad shot in the post that falls short, Sneed rebounds, outlets to Barrett who is one on one with Ball. Barrett has the size edge here and just goes at the rim, he lays the ball in with a pretty fingerroll and Ball fouls him!!! Another 3 point play, we lead!!!!
3:00
Heh, they get two right back, Barrett(w/ me controlling, oops) overplays to deny a pass and Ball cuts to the hoop instead, easy two.
2:40
Back to the bread and butter, Sanders on the left block, a turnaround towards the lane, so pretty, 26 for Sanders.
2:06
Forte forces a turnover in the backcourt. He can't get the easy layup though, they've got another guy back on D. I work the offense a bit, and this time its Sanders from the right block, again with a turnaround in towards the lane, and again perfect. 28 points. Timeout Cowboys.
1:38
Oh boy... They miss a 3 pointer, we rebound. Of course, we go into the post to Sanders, but this time they strip it away and get out on the break. They throw a pretty alleyoop to Vitelli, who gets fouled by Barrett as he catches it and throws it down. That's a 3 point play for Vitelli, he's up to 32, and that could be a massive turning point, we had the chance to go up 7, instead they cut it back to two.
1:03
Sneed takes the ball on the right wing, tries to use a screen from Barrett on a set play, but doesn't get open. He flips it to Sanders who is posting up, and Sanders hits another turnaround, he's got 30, and we're up 4. After they get the ball up court, OSU calls a timeout. I use my last coaching emphasis of the game(assuming no OT), and of course use it on defense(I almost always use it on defense)
0:51
Ball tries a pretty quick jumper for them, its no good but Sparrow gets the board and the putback. Back to two.
0:17
Ozier throws a bad pass trying to feed the post, its tipped and they pick it off, a quick outlet and easy layup and we're all tied up. The steal generates a 6th man boost for OSU, so I call my next to last timeout. The goal here is to not give them a chance. We take the last shot, if it goes to OT, so be it.

REG
Pretty poor offense, heh. We can't really set anything up, Forte tries a one on one move and a jumper, but its blocked. OVERTIME.

We have two timeouts, they have four as we go to OT. As long as a couple get called I think all our guys will be good for the entire 5 minutes.

Vitelli has 32, Ball 17, Payne 13 for them. They have 10 total between their two starting bigs. They're a very solid 7-16 from 3, 32-56 from the field.

Sanders is 15-18 from the floor today, 30 points. Barrett has 12, Day has 13 but he isn't likely to see the floor. Forte is 1-6 from 3, 2-7 overall, another poor day. Sneed is 1-4 inside as well. We're killing them on the boards, 24-14, not a lot of rebounds since we're both shooting so damn well.

Fouls are not an issue as far as people fouling out. I think we have committed 5 or 6 this half, OSU just 3 or 4. I'm not sure on that though, and don't think its available until/unless a timeout is called.
OT
4:43
We win the tip and go inside to Sanders basically right away. He draws a foul and goes to the line for the first time all game. He makes both and matches Vitelli's 32 points.
OT
3:30
Vitelli misses a 3, we board. Sanders feeds Sneed via a pretty nice interior pass but Sneed's shot is blocked. That triggers the 6th man for OSU. They fail to score though and we board, and we'll just run out the 6th man boost, no need for a TO yet.
OT
Forte misses an open 3 on our end, they throw a terrible pass and turn the ball over, we run but Barrett cannot hit a tough shot in transition. They get their PF, Shiloh, a decent look inside and he hits, tying the game up. I use one of my two timeouts, to rest my guys and make sure I don't need to sub.
OT
2:08
We run a play that gets Sanders the ball at the high post. He fakes a jumper, which he can make, they fall for it, Sanders goes by and dunks it home. We lead by two and get the 6th man going for us now. OSU calls a timeout when they get the ball down court. 34 for Sanders.
OT
1:55
They go inside to Sparrow who hits a very easy shot over Sneed. Tied right back up.
OT
1:13
OSU takes their first lead since the 3:30 mark. Forte tries to drive to the rim, doesn't get by his man and throws a bad kickout pass, Vitelli picks up the loose ball and goes all the way to the rack himself for a dunk. That's the lead for OSU, 34 for Vitelli, and the 6th man for OSU. I call my last timeout, and emphasize defense.
OT
0:52
Forte and Sanders work it inside-out. Now, Sanders has turned it over a couple times, but this is his first outright missed shot in a very, very long time. He misses a short turnaround, OSU ball.
OT
0:47
They drive after picking up the rebound, and Sneed fouls Shiloh as he attacks the rim. Both FT's good.
OT
0:29
I wanted a much quicker shot so I wouldn't have to foul necessarily, but there wasn't one there. Forte drives by his man and hits a layup, we trail by 2 with half a minute left.
OT
0:27
We foul Payne right away. Its our 9th foul. He misses the front end!!! .........but Vitelli gets around Sneed and gets the board. We foul Vitelli. That'sour 10th, he'll shoot 2. First good, second good.
OT
0:05
I try to go inside to Sanders, then Sneed, nothing at all. I end up taking longer than I want and having to take a 3 with Forte, which does not go in. They rebound. I foul, they make the first, miss the second, and its too late to matter but heh, Vitelli gets another offensive board and a putback to make it a 7 point final.

(3) Oklahoma State 92
(1) Florida State 85
OT

Last edited by Radii : 05-29-2009 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:14 AM   #983
Radii
Head Coach

There is no quesiton at all about the player of the game. Xavier Vitelli scores 38 in the win. A steal/dunk by Vitelli late is the game changing performance.

Its a classic of a title game, with offense leading the way. OSU shoots 37/63, 58% from the floor. We are 33/58, 57%. They go 11/16 at the line, while we go 16/16. They are much better from three though, 7/17, while we can only manage 3/13.

Xavier Vitelli gives a performance that will not soon be forgotten, 38 points/4 boards/3 steals/3 blocks. He shoots 14-20, 3-6 from 3, 7-9 from the line. His offensive rebound with 27 seconds left in the game when SG Payne had missed the front end of the one and one was truly a clutch play that very possibly changed the outcome.

Forte: 7 points/2 assists (3-10, 1-8 from 3)
Barrett: 12 points/3 boards/3 assists
Ozier: 6 points/5 boards
Sneed: 4 points/5 boards
Sanders: 34 points/6 boards (16-20 FG, 2-2 FT)

Day: 13 points
McClurkin: 5 points
McCants: 2 points/5 boards
Millar: 2 points/1 boards
Alloway: 0 points/1 assist

An incredible national championship game, one that we come up JUST short in, leaving us with lots of motivation to return as quickly as possible.

An individual effort for the ages from Brice Sanders. He might not be remembered the way Vitelli will be since we lost, but that beats his old career high scoring mark by 10 points, and going 80% from the field is just ridiculous. There are very few junk points in there, only 6 boards, a couple offensive I think, but not a lot of dunks and such, so many hooks and turnarounds, he was just completely on his game today from start to finish.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:22 AM   #984
Radii
Head Coach

Whew, thankfully the game doesn't force me into the offseason screens at the end of the title game, I can save and start that later. My sister came home from work shortly after I started the game so I paused and we chatted awhile, and then the overtime... I kinda expected to be done an hour ago, heh.

Offseason tomorrow!

One quick looking ahead note though. Here is next season's likely starting lineup, with the player's current ratings:

PG McClurkin (83 OVR)
SG Day (81 OVR)
SF Mayer (83 OVR
PF Millar (82 OVR)
C McCants (85 OVR)

That's before offseason development. McClurkin and Day both have sweet 3 point strokes, Mayer is a very high level recruit who showed some flashes of strength as a freshman, Millar has more skills than you'd think, just no chance to showcase them with all the other talented bigs, and McCants is a well known entity.

Despite the fact that we're losing 6 guys, I don't think next year is a letdown year for us. Now, next year we lose McCants and McClurkin, and there are a huge number of unknowns in recruiting right now. But next year... we're still going to be really, really good, with one of the best two or three starting lineups in the ACC, just a LOT of youth on the bench.

Last edited by Radii : 05-29-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #985
Radii
Head Coach

Year
National Champ
Runner Up
Final Four
Final Four
My Record
My Postseason
North Carolina
Louisville
Arkansas
Indiana
10-16 (NCAT)
None
Illinois
Gonzaga
Stanford
Louisville
14-15
None
Mississippi St.
Wisconsin
Pittsburgh
Tennessee
17-14
None
Florida
Mississippi St.
Syracuse
Maryland
24-8 (OHIO)
NCAA 1st
Tennessee
Michigan St.
Missouri
UCLA
13-18
None
Texas Tech
North Carolina
Notre Dame
Providence
17-14
None
Kansas
Wisconsin
UL Lafayette
Arizona
23-8
NIT 1st
Baylor
Wisconsin
Oklahoma St
Arizona
22-9
NIT 1st
North Carolina
Michigan St.
Rhode Island
NC State
24-8
NCAA 2nd
Arizona
Duke
Florida
Louisville
29-5
NCAA 1st
Florida
Kansas
Kentucky
UNLV
32-5
NCAA E8
Oklahoma St.
Pittsburgh
Ohio State
Arizona
22-7 (FSU)
NCAA 2nd
Villanova
Arizona
Kansas
Clemson
10-18
None
Villanova
Arizona St.
Ohio State
Florida
21-11
NCAA 2nd
North Carolina
Arizona
Vanderbilt
Nevada
22-9
NCAA 1st
Oklahoma St
Florida State
Vanderbilt
Oregon
30-7
NCAA Finals

National Titles:

3 North Carolina
2 Villanova
2 Florida
2 Oklahoma State
1 Illinois
1 Mississippi State
1 Tennessee
1 Texas Tech
1 Kansas
1 Baylor
1 Arizona

Final Four Appearances:

6 Arizona
4 Florida
4 North Carolina
3 Kansas
3 Louisville
3 Wisconsin
3 Oklahoma State
2 Michigan State
2 Mississippi State
2 Ohio State
2 Pittsburgh
2 Tennessee
2 Vanderbilt
2 Villanova
Florida State
Arizona State
Arkansas
Baylor
Clemson
Duke
Gonzaga
Indiana
Illinois
Kentucky
UL Lafayette
Maryland
Missouri
NC State
Nevada
Notre Dame
Oregon
Providence
Rhode Island
Stanford
Syracuse
Texas Tech
UCLA
UNLV

National Titles (By Conference)

5 Big 12
4 SEC
3 ACC
2 Big East
1 Big 10
1 PAC 10

Final Fours (By Conference)

12 SEC
10 Big East
10 PAC 10
9 Big 10
9 ACC
9 Big 12
1 A-10
1 Mountain West
1 Sun Belt
1 WAC
1 WCC
Old 05-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #986
Radii
Head Coach

2023 Graduating Seniors

I recruited 8 players 4 years ago. One of them, SG Moye, was a JC player and only played two years. Another, PG Pearson Mcclurkin, redshirted and will be my starting point guard next season. The remaining 6 players all depart Florida State this year.

SF Kueth Ozier - 6'6" 253 lbs - 88 OVR

Ozier is the most talented player that I could never figure out how the hell to use. He is listed as a lottery selection, he had good post skills, good rebounding skills, great inside numbers, but I could never get him to score consistently. He didn't even start his entire career despite being the highest rated player on the team every season. After Alloway got injured, Ozier did start 19 games in his senior season and I think it made the team better, though I believe that is due to awareness and defense and simply having a strong SF on the floor.

Senior Season: 5.3 ppg/2.9 rpg - 53% FG, 70.5% FT

Career Averages: 5.0 ppg/3.0 rpg - 44.3% FG, 69.5% FT

PG Damien Forte - 6'2" 212 lbs - 87 OVR

Forte was injured and missed one game as a freshman. He started 127 of the 128 games that FSU played during his 4 year run. At the start of his career his 3 point rating was in the low 70s. It got as high as 77 at the end of his senior year, and despite his cold streak in the final four, he was one of the best 3 point shooters on the floor I've ever had. A good defender, good passer, an all around great PG. On a weaker team he could have potentially scored 20/game, but for FSU he was the guy that made the offense go but could score when he needed to to keep the defense honest.

Forte is projected to go in the first round of the NBA Draft.

Senior Season: 10.5 ppg/2.9 apg/1.6 spg - 44% FG - 41.6% 3 - 70% FT - 80 for 192 from 3

Career Averages: 9.0 ppg/3.1 apg/1.4 spg - 44.1% FG - 39.6% 3 - 69.0% FT

Forte was a 1000 point scorer, 1140 points on his career.

Forte was also probably my favorite player out of this class.

SG Ike Barrett - 6'4" 203 lbs - 87 OVR

If Barrett could only shoot the 3. If he was a 3 point shooter these last four years would have been different. Barrett could have averaged 20 ppg if he was a 3 point shooter. But he wasn't, but he was great nonetheless. He is the best defender I've ever coached, and he was great in transition, strong enough to go into the trees and not get knocked around, and talented enough to score against all but the best interior defenders. Barrett didn't become an every day starter until Moye graduated. Without him and his defense i'm sure we wouldn't have had the success we did.

Senior Season: 9.2 ppg/1.9 rpg/1.7 apg - 53.5% FG - 82.0% FT

Career Averages: 7.7 ppg/1.8 rpg/1.5 apg - 52.1% FG - 84.0% FT

Barrett's shooting % is so high because I almost never did anything with him but attack the rim. He only shot jumpshots at the end of the shot clock when there was no other option, otherwise he drove by his man and attacked, or passed.

PF Brice Sanders - 7'0" 244 lbs - 85 OVR

Up until the last game of his career Sanders was a talented big man who didn't stand out a lot. He got passed over by McCants for a starting job that quite possibly should have been his to lose instead, he had some good games and was a good rebounder, but all that changed in the final game of his career. Now, he gets to be remembered as the guy who put up 34 and shot 16-20 in a national championship game and almost singlehandedly willed his team to a title.

Senior Season: 12.1 ppg/6.3 rpg/1.1 bpg - 55.6% FG - 82.7% FT

Career: 7.0 ppg/4.0 rpg - 50.5 FG % - 81.2 FT %

Sanders didn't start at all til his senior season, when he started all 37 games we played.

PG Damion Alloway - 6'0" 187 lbs - 85 OVR

Alloway was my most explosive scorer in his final two seasons after Moye left, but he couldn't do it as consistently as I'd hoped. Forte was a better PG, and I had to have Barrett's defense, once I decided I wanted the taller SF on the court, there was just no place for Alloway. he had some amazing games, a career high 32 points in a game, with a number of 20+ games.

Senior Season: 8.4 ppg/1.5 apg/0.7 spg - 40.5% FG - 35.3% 3PT - 73.0% FT

Career Averages: 8.4 ppg/1.7 apg/0.5 spg - 40.2% FG - 33.6% 3PT - 70.6 FT %

Alloway's best season was actually his junior year, when he led the team with 12.7 points/game and started all season.

PF Otis Sneed - 6'10" 238 lbs - 85 OVR

Sneed was one of the most consistent players I've ever had. Even when he lost his starting job as a senior he still averaged 8.4 ppg. His other three years he averaged 9.3, 11.2, and 11.6 ppg. He was always good for 5 baskets/game, he was very good off the bench once Sanders took his place in the lineup, and late in the season started for McCants a few times and did a good job. I thought he could have been more, but I also never dedicated myself to making him my star on offense. He had an 84 post offense rating, 95 close range and 95 in traffic. Those numbers are outstanding, some of the best I've ever had. So I always looked at that and wanted him to be a 15+ points/game guy, but the way I ran my offense, if he didn't start off a game hot, I wouldn't force the ball to him anymore and he'd just pick up points in the flow of the offense. And really with the talent i had that was the right way to go.

Senior Season: 8.4 ppg/4.1 rpg - 57% FG - 84.5% FT

Career Averages - 10.1 ppg/5.2 rpg - 51.3% FG - 77.3% FT

Like Alloway, Sneed's best year was his junior year when he scored 11.6 points and grabbed 6.3 rebounds/game.

Sneed scored 1290 points in his career.

So that's that, there aren't a lot of individual awards for these guys because i never really focused on one player after Moye left. Ozier was the only one who was never really capable of starring on offense. The other 5 guys though, it seemed at times like they alternated who was going to have a big game and who was going to be the big 20 point scorer to get me a big win.

Not a single one of these guys ever got an individual award for anything.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #987
Radii
Head Coach

2023 Team Stats

PF Sanders - 12.1
PG Forte - 10.5
SG Barrett - 9.2
SG Day - 9.0
PF Sneed - 8.4
PG Alloway - 8.4
C McCants - 8.3

And that shows just how balanced we were this year. Day and Sneed were not every day starters, but they got hot off the bench a number of times for 15 point games to keep their averages up there with the starters.

Of that group, only Day and McCants return next year. McClurkin scored 5.4 points/game and will be my PG next year as well.

Rebounds

PF Sanders - 6.3
C McCants - 6.0
PF Sneed - 4.1
PF Millar - 3.2
SF Ozier 2.9

I though McCants would get a lot more than that.

Assists

PG Forte 2.9
SG Barrett 1.7
PG McClurkin 1.6
PG Alloway 1.5
SG Day 1.1

Yeah, I still don't get assists a lot.

FG %

PF Sneed - 57%
PF Sanders - 55.6%
SG Barrett - 53.5%
SF Ozier - 53.2%
C McCants - 49.2%

Three bigs and two guys that basically did nothing but drive to the rim.

3 Point Shooting

PG Forte - 41.6%
PG McClurkin - 37.1%
PG Alloway - 35.3%
SG Day - 32.9%

Day is by far the best 3 point shooter in the group, which makes him a go to guy. Any time I needed a one on one move, any time I needed a shot at the end of the shot clock, if Day was on the court, he got the ball. also as the best rated 3 point shooter I was much more likely to catch and shoot with him any time he was open, where with a 3 point shooter not as good I might wait and try to get a better shot.

McClurkin I think is going to be a lot like Forte next year as a starter. I expect great things next year with him running the offense.

Free Throw Shooting

PG McClurkin - 89.8%
PF Sneed - 84.5%
PF Sanders - 82.7%
SG Barrett - 82.0%
SG Day - 74.6%

Forte and Ozier were the "bad" free throw shooters at 70% for this team.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #988
Radii
Head Coach

2023 Awards

Oklahoma State wins the title,of course.

SG Raymond Gai out of Villanova is the player of the year. Gai scored 24.1 points/game, 4.7 rebounds/3.6 assists for the Wildcats. He's rated 91 OVR.

Oregon's Ernie Kent is the national coach of the year for bringing Oregon to the final four. One of the few times the national title winning coach isn't COY.

First Team All-Americans

PG Stephen See - Oregon - 90 OVR - 22.0 ppg/4.6 rpg/4.6 apg
SG Raymond Gai - Villanova - 91 OVR - 24.1 ppg/4.7 rpg/3.6 apg
SF Dennis Montague - Florida - 90 OVR - 16.0 ppg/9.1 rpg
PF Reyshawn White - Ohio State - 86 OVR - 21.2 ppg/5.2 rpg
C Reggie Norman - Saint Louis - 86 OVR - 22.9 ppg/5.4 rpg

Oklahoma State's Xavier Vitelli is the 2nd team Small Forward.

No ACC players make either team.

No ACC players make the all freshman team either.

ACC Awards

I am the Coach of the Year in the ACC - woohoo, first time I've accomplished that at the power conference!

Miami Center Rex Newman is the player of the year - 84 OVR - 21.8 ppg/5.9 rpg

UNC SG TR Stockman is the Freshman of the year, 81 OVR - 6.6 ppg/3.9 rpg/3.6 apg.

First Team All-ACC

PG Garland Munns - NC State - 82 OVR - 15.2 ppg/3.7 apg
SG Bradley Fanning - Maryland - 89 OVR - 16.7 ppg/3.8 rpg/1.9 apg
SF Vidal Dalida - Clemson - 89 OVR - 13.7 ppg/4.1 rpg
PF Jeffrey Eldridge - Wake Forest - 81 OVR - 19.6 ppg/8.1 rpg
C Rex Newman - Miami - 84 OVR - 21.8 ppg/5.9 rpg

Second Team All-ACC

PG Bronsen Gatling - Maryland - 90 OVR - 14.4 ppg/3.1 apg
SG Danko Walls - NC State - 84 OVR - 17.0 ppg/3.0 rpg/1.9 apg
SF Cameron Aguko - Va Tech - 81 OVR - 13.5 ppg/4.7 rpg
PF Lex Beeler - Va Tech - 87 OVR - 18.4 ppg/4.9 rpg
C Clifton Garnett - Virginia - 74 OVR - 18.2 ppg/6.1 rpg

I am very surprised to see no one from Georgia Tech on the list. SG Femi Shavies espicially, though Walls for NC State had great numbers this year.

Munns, the 1st team PG, is a junior. Walls and Aguko, the 2nd team SG/SF, are sophomores. Everyone else on these lists are seniors.

Freshman All-ACC

PG Willard Lennon - UNC - 75 OVR - 2.5 ppg/1.0 apg
SG TR Stockman - UNC - 81 OVR - 6.6 ppg/3.6 apg
SF Boo Gregory - Wake Forest - 79 OVR - 7.3 ppg/3.7 rpg
PF Jesus Williamson - Clemson - 75 OVR - 6.3 ppg/3.5 rpg
C Zachary Horton - NC State - 78 OVR - 5.6 ppg/5.2 rpg
Old 05-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #989
Radii
Head Coach

ACC Seniors Drafted

PG Damien Forte - Florida State - 87 OVR
PG Damion Alloway - Florida State - 85 OVR
PG Justin Covington - Georgia Tech - 89 OVR
PG Bronsen Gatling - MAryland - 90 OVR
PG Melvin Bright - Virginia Tech - 89 OVR
PG Robin Vega - Virginia Tech - 88 OVR
PG Mick Parsons - Virginia Tech - 87 OVR
PG Andy Garner - Boston College - 90 OVR
SG Regis Clarke - Boston College - 86 OVR
SG Bradley Fanning - Maryland - 89 OVR
SG Ike Barrett - Florida State - 87 OVR
SG Kylie Kickert - Clemson - 87 OVR
SF Jibran Grizzard - Georgia Tech - 92 OVR
SF Justino Mihailovic - NC State - 89 OVR
SF Kueth Ozier - Florida State - 87 OVR
SF Vidal Dalida - Clemson - 89 OVR
SF Scott Whitehead - Clemson - 86 OVR
PF Lex Beeler - Virginia Tech - 87 OVR
PF Immanuel Bing - Georgia Tech - 88 OVR
PF Jim Vitelli - Clemson - 91 OVR
PF Izik Dawson - Boston College - 85 OVR
C Dalron Axton - Georgia Tech - 83 OVR

ACC Underclassmen Drafted

None

The conference is losing a ridiculous amount of talent this year. We know where we stand as far as rebuilding/reloading... I'm curious to see how some of these other teams will do.

Sneed and Sanders out of our graduating class both go undrafted. The departure screen doesn't show where people get drafted.

Also, I don't know how the game decides who goes into the draft, ir there are only 60 players(or however many it is that the NBA has now for picks) or if its just players above a certain threshold. But I did go look at the other major conferences. The Pac 10 had 10 players listed as getting drafted, the Big 10 6, the SEC 9, the Big 12 7, the Big East just had 4.

This was just a stacked year for the ACC.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #990
Radii
Head Coach

Coaching

I am rewarded with a new 5 year contract for my efforts recently!

I also gain 3 coaching points, for having a player drafted, earning a 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, and reaching the final four. I go 2 into offense, 1 into discipline.

Offense: B+
Defense: A+
Teaching: A+
Scouting: C-
Charisma: A+
Discipline: B+

OVerall I am an A- rated coach.

Coaching Carousel

Five major conference jobs open up. I am the top choice for each:

Mississippi State
Stanford
Duke
DePaul
Nebraska

John Calipari leaves Memphis to take the Mississippi State job after I turn it down. I'm very interested to see how Miss State does over the next few years now, that's one of the last remaining elite level coaches that weren't already at a power school.

I greatly enjoy turning down the Duke job

One other interesting note here, after getting fired from Virginia recently, Dave Leitao took Jacksonville to the sweet 16, and is on the way back up, taking a job with UTEP.

Last edited by Radii : 05-29-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #991
Radii
Head Coach

I keep my assistants for another year. To review:

Ousmane Kilingsworth:

Offense: A-
Defense: B+
Teaching: D
Scouting: A
Charisma: C-
Discipline: C

Ian Atkinson:

Offense: A
Defense: A
Teaching: B
Scouting: C+
Charisma: D
Discipline: C

A coach is available who is A offense/A defense/C Teaching/B scouting. That's really damn good, but since I have no ability to scout, I keep my A rated scout instead. I really have no idea if this is a good decision or how big an impact the small upgrades to defense/teaching would make vs the downgrade to scouting, etc. So I'm just not changing anything up right now.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #992
Radii
Head Coach

Offseason Recruiting

For the first time in awhile, we've got a really busy offseason ahead of us. A very uncertain one too.

We've landed two players. 4* PF Trace Devonish is a 6'7" big man rated #61 OVR/#6 PF. I like his post skills and he is an above average rebounder, also a very strong guy. He's not overwhelmingly good but he looks solid.

I've also landed 4* JC SF Ashton Naymick - Its so hard for me to figure how good a SF will be... but again, a 4* JC guy helps me to even out these recruiting classes and he was an easy sell for me.

That leaves me still with 4 scholarships open.

As we hit the first day when recruits can sign again, we've got 4 offers out:

5* JC SO SG Evan Walker - Austin, TX - Walker looks like an attack the basket type scorer, I'd love another JC guy to even out the draft classes, and 5* is always good. I have Walker at 100%, but so does Houston.

5* PG Alando Carlisle - Easton, PA - #16 OVR/#8 PG - there are so many point guards in the top 30 its riduclous. If I manage to come out of this recruiting season without a 5* PG I'll have no one but myself to blame. Carlisle is a good athlete, good defender, good shooter with great potential. I have him at 100%. UNC is right there too, its so close its hard to tell, the might have him at 100%, it might be 99%. I hope to land Carlisle on the first signing day though.

4* SG Nicholas Power - Tampa, FL - #88 OVR/#30 SG - Power is a decent defender/decent shooter who could hopefully develop into something very very good. We've only got him at 99%. Georgia Tech is at 100% but hasn't offered. So we won't land him on day 1 and will be at the mercy of the Yellow Jackets while they decide if they want him or not basically.

5* PG Taj Osborne - Springfield, IL - #7 OVR/#5 PG - Very good defender, good ball handler, good awareness, good at creating his own shot though he will have to develop a better jumper probabl. We have him at 98%. Vanderbilt and Clemson have also made offers, they are right bleow me. Its very possible that we all 3 get him to 100% next week and I have no idea what happens then...

we have one backup target, a 4* PG that no one has offered yet, but Syracuse and St John's might grab next week.

Initial Signing Day

5* JC SG Evan Walker signs with Houston. Not the start we wanted to see here.

5* PG Alando Carlisle signs with FLORIDA STATE. Much better. I feel so much relief to get a 5* PG on the roster, with the recruit distribution as silly as it is, a 5* PG really should be automatic for me at all times.

Week 1

When I sign another PG, My top 10 target, Taj Osborne, drops to 92%, behind Vanderbilt. I still might have a shot, we'll see.

At the end of week 1:

5* PG Taj Osborne signs with Vanderbilt

4* SG Nicholas Power signs with Georgia Tech

UGH. I now have 3 shcolarship offers still, and only one guy left on my target list.

Week 2

I offer a scholarship to 5* JC Soph PG Dedric Modica - a decent defender and shooter, Modica could perhaps be a backup SG, and another step at balancing these recruiting classes out.

Two other targets are out there that might be interesting. All 5* recruits are gone as are most 4* recruits, but the #1 center is still on teh board. Maybe because the rest of the league values height as well. Nonetheless, I give a look to 4* C Samuel Jolly, #63 OVR/#1 C. He's all of 6 foot 7.

And the #11 SF on the board, #69 OVR, SF Patricio Dearman out of Dallas gets a look.

End of Week 2:

5* JC PG Dedric Modica signs with FLORIDA STATE.

More on Modica after recruiting is over. He's 5'11", JC SO. C+ defense, good speed, A- in close/B- from 3. I'm guessing a 2 year backup SG if anything to be honest, unless I'm just reading this all wrong and he comes in rated amazingly high.

Week 3

SF Dearman looks like he has potential. A- defense for a small forward is something I really like to see, hopefully he can guard forwards and guards.

The Center... I could use depth, really. And if he grows to 6'8 or 6'9 that's really quite fine, his awareness is outstanding, B off/B+ def, that is incredible. Above average rebounder, maybe a good post offensive player, so he gets an offer too.

End of Week 3:

4* C Samuel Jolly signs with FLORIDA STATE

4* SF Patricio Dearman signs with FLORIDA STATE

And I have now filled out my recruiting class. A full recruit overview coming up.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #993
Radii
Head Coach

Florida State Incoming Recruiting Class

5* JC SO PG Dedric Modica - NR

Shooting: A-
Skills: A
Athleticism: A-
Rebounding: B-
Intelligence: B+
Potential: A
Size: C

B speed/C+ quickness. B- off awareness/C def awareness. C+ defense/C+ stteals. A- close/C med/B- 3. C vert/C+ str/B- hustle. Not spectacular but likely a servicable player for two years. If he has some good driving ability he could be a pretty deadly 2 guard attacking the rim.

5* PG Alando Carlisle - easton, PA - #16 OVR/#8 PG

12.9 ppg/4.4 rpg/5.8 apg/2.1 steals in the ABL. 37.6% from the field, 43.4% from 3.

Skills: A-
Athleticism: A
Rebounding: C
Intelligence: A-
Size: B-

B- Speed/F Quickness. B defense/C Steals. C hands/B- passing. C+ close/C+ med/B- 3/B+ off the dribble. C+ off awarenes/B- def awarenes. B- vert/B- hustle. The quickness worries me, I guess i'm looking at like 88 speed/75 quickness or something ridiculous. But B defense is pretty exciting, and I like the above average awareness. Very good off the dribble and an above average shooter. If he can develop, hopefully he'll be a good one. At this time he's slated to take over at PG after McClurkin leaves, but of course we'll have to see how all that goes.

4* PF Trace Devonish - Plantation, FL - 6'7" 223 lbs - #61 OVR/#6 PF

Shooting: B+
Skills: B-
Defense: A-
Athleticism: B
Rebounding: A-
Intelligence: B-
Size: B+

C orb/C+ drb. C+ post off/C+ post def. B+ blocks. B- close/A- med/B 3/C+ in traffic. B+ str. Awareness is average/below average. I like his base skills. If he has good potential and can develop as a rebounder it looks like he has a shot to be a very good PF for me.

4* C Samuel Jolly - Forth Worth, TX - #63 OVR/#1 C - 6'7" 229 lbs

Shooting: ?
Skills: B+
Athleticism: ?
Rebonding: A
Intelligence: A
Potential: ?
Size: B+

Unclaimed as the top center, which worries me, but we'll take it and see what we get. There are some promising points here... C+ orb/B- drb. B+ post off/C+ post def. I like both of those a lot. B off awareness/B+ def awareness might have the potential to make up for a LOT of other defencies. Since I landed him late, and quickly, I don't have his strength or offensive talents scouted out.

4* SF Patricio Dearmon - Dallas, TX - #69 OVR/#11 SF - 6'6" 205 lbs

Skills: B-
Rebounding: ?
Intelligence: A-
Size: B

Dearman looks too promising to be left alone the whole time. He looks great to me. B- speed/B- quickness. A- defense/B blocks/B- steals. B str. B- close/B med/C+ 3/C in traffic. C+ off and def awareness. I always have trouble judging SF types, but I like what I'm seeing here. Its hard to say if he'll be a scorer for me, but he can play defense, he's got speed and his awareness looks like itll be in a good place for an incoming freshman.

4* JC FR SF Ashton Naymick - Rocky Mount, NC - 6'5" 199 lbs

Skills: ?
Defense: B
Rebounding: A-
Intelligence: ?
Size: B

Naymick is the least exciting guy on the list. Lots of C's. I see an A- in mid range shooting, he looks more like a guard in some ways. Though B+ offensive rebounding, and only C defense, whic for a SF will be like 78. He signed so early that he didn't fully scout out, I loved the idea of a JC guy that wanted to come here though, so I'm pleaesd with that.

Whew. My last 6 person class, hopefully.

I would ideally like to get to where i'm never recruiting more than 4 players in any one year. I should be there now actually, unless I do something weird with redshirts.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #994
Radii
Head Coach

ACC Recruiting Overview

With so many teams graduating so many stars, this ought to be good. Remember, these are the rankings of top 100 guys that the ACC is getting in. If a team landed no top 100 guys i mention the top recruit they did get. And I point out 5* types.

Boston College: 45, 90, 96
Clemson: #3 (5* SF)
Duke: #258 (wow, suck!)
Florida State: 5* JC, #16 (5*), #61, #63, #69
Georgia Tech: #5, #10, #13, #15, #88 - 4 five stars. PG/PG/PF/SG.
Maryland: #12(5*), #29
Miami: #124
UNC: #93
NC State: #4 (5*), #27
Virginia: 5* JC SG, #127
Virginia Tech: #2, #6, #9, #59 (three 5* guys)
Wake Forest: #40

Gerogia Tech and Virginia Tech just continue to reload. Amazing.

Incoming Recruiting Classes

1. Virginia Tech
2. Georgia Tech
3. Baylor
4. West Virginia
5. Vanderbilt
6. Texas
7. Kansas
8. BYU
9. Xavier
10. Colorado
12. Clemson
14. Boston College
18. Florida State
25. Virginia
28. Maryland
30. NC State

We're only #18? Our recruits must suck, or the ratings system for the recruit class rankings sucks!
Old 05-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #995
Radii
Head Coach

I remove a preseason tournament from my schedule that would have overlapped over a sunday and added a bunch of games during the early recruiting period. I've still got 13 non conference games on the schedule, so we'll be playing a lot this year. The ACC looks stacked again despite all that was lost. Because the ACC schedule will be so tough, and we have a lot of youth, I want to win a lot of non-conference games. I've got one really good team on the schedule in Louisville, and I play two decent teams on the road, but there are a lot more teams rated below 80 this season. I'll probably fly through most of the non-conference schedule simming, once I'm comfortable with my guys.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #996
Radii
Head Coach

The AI recommends the same lineup that I had intended on using... McClurkin, Day, Mayer, Millar, McCants. And that lineup starts us out with 4 out of 6 bars of team unity filled. McCants is a coach on the floor which is going to help a lot with the other new guys being inserted into the lineup for the first time ever.

Preseason Media Poll

1. Pittsburgh
2. Oklahoma State
3. Oregon
4. Florida
5. Kentucky
6. North Carolina
8. Virginia Tech
9. NC State
10. Clemson
11. Maryland
13. Georgia Tech
21. Florida State

The ACC looks really stacked again this year, as I'd mentioned. I'm pleased to still be a preseason top 25 team after losing 4 starters from last year's team.

ACC Preseason Roster Strength

1. North Carolina - 92 OVR
2. Georgia Tech - 92 OVR
3. Virginia Tech - 92 OVR
4. Clemson - 92 OVR
5. Maryland - 91 OVR
6. Florida State - 91 OVR
7. NC State - 90 OVR
8. Boston College - 89 OVR
9. Wake Forest - 87 OVR
10. Miami - 84 OVR
11. Duke - 84 OVR
12. Virginia - 81 OVR

That's going to be a lot of fun. We're still awesome, though our bench helped us be even better last year. 7 teams rated 90-92 OVR is great though.

ACC Preseason Accolades

Best Overall Player: SG Femi Shavies, Georgia Tech - 89 OVR
Best Freshman: SF Bruce Filipovic, Clemson - 84 OVR
Best Shooter: PG Micah Williams, Maryland - 84 OVR
Best Playmaker: PG Darren Richard, Va Tech - 85 OVR
Best Pro Prospect: PG Mark Trammell, Clemson - 88 OVR
Best Defender: PF Shagari Andres, North Carolina - 84 OVR

This is the 3rd year in a row that Clemson has had the best freshman in the league.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:32 PM   #997
Radii
Head Coach

And a very quick look at the incoming freshmen:

C Samuel Jolly - 6'7" 231 lbs - 79 OVR

88 post offense, rebound ratings both over 80, decent in traffic, outstanding strength(86/A-). Awareness that will have him a coach on the floor as a junior with ease. Only C potential. He looks pretty damn promising, I like it. Needs to grow another inch though.

SF Patricio Dearman - 6'7" 207 lbs - 77 OVR

Oh man I'm going to love this guy. He's a guard, screw the height and the position... this guy is a guard. 87 defense/67 steals. Good speed and quickness for a SF(acutlaly a bit low for a guard, despite what I just said ). 85 close/77 med/74 3, not good off teh dribble, so he'll need to catch and shoot or attack the rim, where is is pretty good in traffic. That level of defense, good athleticism and what should develop into an ok 3 point shot and Dearman is exciting as hell. C+ potential which is ok but not great. Also, Mayer may very well leave after this year, so Dearman might be a 3 year starter at SF.

SF Ashton Naymick (soph) - 6'6" 201 lbs - 76 OVR

Naymick looks purely offensive. Decent speed/quickness, awful defense (75 defense). Not a post player at all, he has a good eye for offensive rebounds, but not on the defensive end. 83 close/83 med/74 3/76 off the dribble/80 in traffic. If he can attack the rim well he might be a good scorer. I don't know how I could use him this year though. He might redshirt, even afte all the trouble to recruit a couple JC guys.

PG Dedric Modica (JC JR) - 5'11" 166 lbs - 76 OVR

Modica looks ok. He lacks awareness and he won't develop it in two years. But he has speed, can shoot the 3, and can handle and dish the rock. 84 close/70 med/82 3/81 off the dribble. Not bad at all there. He will get some time at PG.

PF Trace Devonish - 6'7" 234 lbs - 74 OVR

His rebound and post numbers are all below 80. Awareness both below 70. 90 close/84 in traffic. Devonish has a long way to go. He'll likely redshirt.

PG Alando Carlisle - 6'5" 189 lbs - 73 OVR

Carlisle will be ok, he'll be good even. Outside of 75/F quickness, he has the right skills in the right places. 89 speed, 86 defense(B already). 72 off/73 def awareness, fine for a freshman. 76 close/71 med/82 3/81 off the dribble, so he won't be going inside a lot but he can shoot the open 3. His stamina is terrible (84/C-). His durability is awful (75/C-). He might struggle to start without hurting himself heh. I'm going to redshirt him this year, set his training to work on his endurance and durability(I think I can do that) and see where he's at next year. The JC PG that I recruited, Modica, will likely be backup PG this year and start next year, Carlisle needs some work before he's ready to do either, but he's not as bad as 73 OVR might otherwise indicate, like i said, he's got good numbers in the right places.

None of these guys have a chance to sniff the starting lineup and a couple need to redshirt, but its a solid freshman class for its size. I only lose two seniors this year(plus possibly Mayer). the one total unknown I had after this season... PG, is probably ok with Modica.

We still lack that elusive superstar though. That guy that can get his ratings up towards 90 OVR early in his senior season and just take us all the way to a championship.

Roster and stuff later on!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #998
hoopsguy
General Manager

Congrats on a very strong final season with your big recruiting class. Bummer to come up on the wrong end of such a competitive final.

What is the highest rated recruit that you have landed? Any top 10 guys? Is there some kind of a school reputation that is allowing GaTech, VaTech, and UNC to keep stockpiling those kinds of players every year while you seem to get more in the 20-50 range?
Old 05-30-2009, 02:49 AM   #999
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Congrats on a very strong final season with your big recruiting class. Bummer to come up on the wrong end of such a competitive final.

Thanks That was a really fun season, and a satisfying result, even though winning the title wasn't in the cards.

Quote:
What is the highest rated recruit that you have landed? Any top 10 guys? Is there some kind of a school reputation that is allowing GaTech, VaTech, and UNC to keep stockpiling those kinds of players every year while you seem to get more in the 20-50 range?

No top 10 guys but close. Forte was #21, I think he was the best in that giant class. On the team now, PF Millar was 19th, Mayer 14th. Also PG Carlisle, my top recruit this year, was 16th. So that's 3 top 20 recruits, its not like I'm struggling to land quality talent, but the best guys I've gone after lately I happen to have lost.

I really don't know why. I don't do a lot of contacitng freshmen/sophs, I try to add juniors and call them most of the year and that helps a lot. I assume though that there are some hidden ratings that would essentially correlate to program prestige, maybe coach prestige past just Charisma too? But I'm 100% guessing there. It could easily be something I'm doing wrong.

Then again, I probably spoke too soon mentioning the no superstar thing. Roberto Mayer is one of those guys. He's a redshirt soph now, and he's rated 85 OVR with A- potential. If he stayed 4 years I bet he'd get to 91-92 OVR. Unfortunately, he seems likely to leave this year, next year for sure if not.

But these classes with like 4 5* players, man I have no idea, that's insane.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:24 AM   #1000
Radii
Head Coach

2023-24 Florida State Roster

Point Guards

PG Pearson McClurkin - RS SR - 6'0" 190 lbs - 85 OVR (+4)

93 speed/94 quickness. 84 defense/83 steals. 86 hands/87 passing. 86 close/78 med/79 3/89 off hte dribble/82 in traffic. Those are all solid, very very solid numbers. I loved Forte,but McClurkin is going to do the same things, in the same way, with almost no dropoff. Hell he might do some things better. His defensive awareness is a little low, 72, that's my only wish for him. But he steps right into Forte's shoes and i don't have any worries about that at all.

PG Dedric Modica - JR - 5'11" 166 lbs - 76 OVR

91 speed/86 quickness. 81 defense/76 steals. 86 hands/83 passing. Those are all good but not great. 84 close/70 med/82 3/81 off the dribble. All also good, depending on his driving moves and 3 point motion he could be an effective scorer. His awareness is noticibly lower than McClurkin. 73 off/68 def. A perfectly acceptable backup, though I am worried about PG play next year when this guy starts.

PG Alando Carlisle - FR - 6'5" 189 lbs - 73 OVR - REDSHIRT

89 speed/75 quickness. 86 defense/66 steals. 81 hands/81 passing. 76 close/71 med/82 3/81 off the dribble. 72 off awareness/73 def awaeness. I expected so much more from a top 20 recruit. I hope he improves a lot soon heh. I love his defense, and hopefully he can be an effective 3 point shooter, but he needs a lot of work. C hands/B- passing doesn't cut it for a starting PG in the ACC, that has to go way up.

Shooting Guards

SG Prosper Day - RS JR - 6'3" 218 lbs - 82 OVR (+3)

87 speed/84 quickness. 83 defense/83 steals. 92 close/78 med/89 3/86 off the dribble. Day isn't the fastest, or the best defender, but he's not bad. He is effective at getting to the rim against most defenders, and he scores well inside. 89 rated 3 is awesome. He seems a bit streaky, and I tend to overuse that 3 point shot, I will make a serious effort to not do so this year. He has some holes though. 67 off awareness/71 def awareness. That's low. His stamina is 84/C-, might be a little low as well. Day will start for the first time.

SG Theo Porter - RS FR - 6'6" 226 lbs - 77 OVR (+1)

minimal improvement since he just redshirted his freshman year. I hope to see that improve quickly now though. 86 speed/88 quickness. 78 defense/71 steals. 89 close/81 med/88 3/79 off the dribble. 63 off awareness/76 def awareness. His offensive awareness is so so low. And his on ball defense is so bad. Porter may get specialized training to make him a more effective defender. For a backup, he's fine, but unless i recruit better he's also Day's successor and I can't have sub-80 defense anywhere near my starting lineup.

Small Forwards

SF Roberto Mayer - RS SO - 6'7" 238 lbs - 85 OVR (+4)

Mayer is listed as a lottery pick right now. I assume/fear that means he's leaving, but I guess we'll have to see at the end of the year. 87 speed/76 quickness. 84 defense/69 steals, very good for a SF. 92 close/80 med/81 3/88 in traffic. He doesn't have the best blowby move with the ball to get to the rim, but he is effective from all over. Good post skills for a SF, and average rebounding. 98 hustle is awesome heh. 76 off awareness/73 def awareness, not the best but effective. A clear starter.

SF Patricio Dearman - FR - 6'7" 207 lbs - 77 OVR

81 speed/82 quickness. 87 defense/67 steals. 85 close/77 med/74 3/80 in traffic. 74 off awareness/71 def awareness. His potential is only C+, but still enough for all this to improve nicely. I really really like these numbers, though of course I haven't seen him on the court yet. But I love that defense, and hope he can be an effective scorer for the backups right now. With some development Dearman could be a really good player whenever Mayer leaves.

SF Ashton Naymick - SO - 6'6" 201 lbs - 76 OVR - REDSHIRTING

81 speed/78 quickness. 75 defense/71 steals. 83 close/83 med/74 3/80 in traffic. There is some potential here but he's a ways behind Dearman. Abysmal defense, his awareness sucks too. 65 off awareness, def is 72, that's better. Redshirting.

Power Forwards

PF Haminn Millar - JR - 6'9" 236 lbs - 83 OVR (+3)

85 orb/87 drb. 84 post off/75 post def. 82 close/90 in traffic. 80 str, very very good. 83 off awareness/74 def awareness. Other than the low close range rating, Millar looks like a potential scorer inside. Great post offense, great in traffic, great offensive awareness. However, this year, he's going to be yet again overshadowed and likely won't put up great numbers. But he's going to start and will get some shots.

PF Trace Devonish - FR - 6'7" 234 lbs - 74 OVR - REDSHIRTING

77 orb/79 drb. 78 post off/75 post def. 90 close/79 med/65 3/84 in traffic. 65 off awareness/60 def awareness. He has A- potential, so he can improve quickly. And he needs to. I am not putting someone with sub 80 rebound and post numbers on the floor unless I have to. Since I don't have to this year, there is no point in doing anything but redshirthing him.

Centers

C Florentino McCants - SR - 7'1" 241 lbs - 86 OVR (+3)

88 orb/91 drb. 87 post off/83 post def. 82 blocks. 89 close/88 in traffic. 81 str. 84 off awareness/83 def awareness. McCants has developed incredibly well for a guy w/ C+ potential. He's started all four years, at least off and on each year, which helps. I love these numbers. Insanely high post offense, great close range and traffic ratings to go with it. An exceptional rebounder.

C Maynard Black - RS FR - 6'10" 232 lbs - 80 OVR (+2)

83 orb/90 drb. 83 post off/84 post def. 82 blocks. 93 close/85 in traffic. 71 off awareness/64 def awareness. His awareness is awful, and possibly a huge limiting factor. But his rebounding and post skills are incredible for a freshman, even one with a redshirt year under him. 93 close range... depending on howmuch his awareness holds him back, Black could be a big time star once he takes over for McCants next year.

C Samuel Jolly - FR - 6'7" 231 lbs - 79 OVR

80 orb/84 drb. 88 post off/76 post def. 83 close/87 in traffic. Best strength on the team, 86/A-. Great awareness, 76 off/78 def. His stamina needs work, and his close range shot could imrpove to go along with the ridiculously high post offensive abilities. Jolly really surprised me with how good he looks. He'll be a backup.

Starting Lineup

PG McClurkin
SG Day
SF Mayer
PF Millar
C McCants

Backups

PG Modica
SG Porter
SF Dearman
PF Jolly
C Black

The starters really excite me. They aren't as polished as last year's group, and its a totally different type of team, not as good defensively but lots more explosive offensively. That may well translate into "less wins but a hell of a lot of fun to play with when they're on", we'll have to see.

And I do have a decision to make with my play style. Do I try to style this team like last year's where I have 4 starters in double figures(I figure I can probably get McClurkin/Day/Mayer/McCants all around 10ppg if I want), or do I go out of my way to try to establish a dominant inside game, favoring McCants over all others when possible, getting other people kickout baskets, etc. On paper, McCants looks like a 20/10 guy.

The backups are going to be really, really interesting. Black and Porter redshirted last year, the other three are rookies. I have never controlled any of the 5 backups on the floor. Fun times.