Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
mrsimperless
College Prospect

FIFA2010 vs. PES2010

I've recently gotten into soccer games just as I loaned my 360 to a friend for a while. We played FIFA09 the night I took it over there and I played PES09 the other night and really like them both. I'm considering getting a ps3 so I can get the latest version of one of these titles when they come out. (Need a BluRay player anyway) The only question is now, which one?

mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Alright, according to IGN it appears to be FIFA hands down.

hxxp://ps3.ign.com/articles/103/1035737p1.html
Old 10-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

This is just based off demos.

FIFA plays smoother to me and the physics are much better. PES has better AI though by a wide margin.

FIFA has all the licensing so that's a huge plus if you're into it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:32 AM   #4
rowech
Pro Starter

I think you have to go with FIFA.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
Calis
College Starter

I haven't played the full version of either yet but going off demos and word of mouth I'll probably end upwith FIFA.

Never thought I'd be saying that. I was a pretty huge Winning Eleven/PES fanboy, but last year I think FIFA put out a much better game, and it looks like the same again this year.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'll end up with FIFA but probably not immediately
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
FIFA plays smoother to me and the physics are much better. PES has better AI though by a wide margin.

This is pretty accurate. FIFA is a much easier game to pick up and play, but the tactics and AI are pretty weak and often repetitive. PES is the better game in tactics and AI, but isn't as flashy as FIFA. If you're looking for the deeper experience in gameplay, PES is the easy choice. If you're looking for a game with good presentation that you want to play without too much trouble, FIFA would fit that bill.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the choice between these two games. They're both very good games.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

the FIFA love (not necessarily here) is way over the top. PES (or Winning Eleven) never looked as pretty or had all the fancy licenses that the FIFA series has but as a pure game of soccer PES is hands down a better soccer game. FIFA is highly overrated. Teams all play the same style whether they are Man Utd or Scunthorpe United. I have FIFA 09 and have gone back to playing Winning Eleven 9.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i dunno...the one time i played PES it seemed more "arcadey" - the players were much "bigger" and it just seemed more joystick-jockey-highlightey versus FIFA...i dunno
Old 10-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i dunno...the one time i played PES it seemed more "arcadey" - the players were much "bigger" and it just seemed more joystick-jockey-highlightey versus FIFA...i dunno

Probably have to specify the specific version. Even PES fans would call out a couple of the versions.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
watravaler
High School JV

Before 2007, PES was king, now FIFA is by a good margin. The 2008/2009 versions of PES were simply crap, imo, compared to what the company used to create. If minimal improvements are made FIFA2010, it will probably be the "best" soccer game ever made.

Last edited by watravaler : 10-16-2009 at 10:10 AM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Disagree with minimal. It doesn't feel like real soccer alot of times simply because of the style the teams play. I.E. all attack all the time. If West Brom is playing Man U at Old Trafford, should they not play a more defensive style and not run up and down the pitch trading chances? I agree that recent versions of PES were not good and they also need to pick up their game.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
Warhammer
Pro Starter

It also depends on the console. PES beats FIFA on the Wii hands down.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #14
watravaler
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
It also depends on the console. PES beats FIFA on the Wii hands down.

Agree on the Wii version "sucking" as it does with pretty much every EA sports game. Kind of wish I had picked up the PS3/360 now...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
MJ4H
Coordinator

Eh, it's more that PES on Wii is pretty fraking awesome.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #16
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
the FIFA love (not necessarily here) is way over the top. PES (or Winning Eleven) never looked as pretty or had all the fancy licenses that the FIFA series has but as a pure game of soccer PES is hands down a better soccer game. FIFA is highly overrated. Teams all play the same style whether they are Man Utd or Scunthorpe United. I have FIFA 09 and have gone back to playing Winning Eleven 9.

Agree on the styles and that's a huge bummer. I think the love FIFA gets is definitely newfound, so it isn't from being prettier. The fact is the last few versions of PES have tried to become more like FIFA and FIFA the last few years has tried to become PES.

WE9 is probably still my favorite "arcade" soccer game.

In other words I think the FIFA love is more hatred for where PES is going.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

yeah, I think you're right. I love WE9 and despite the minimal licenses etc I actually enjoy the fantasy universe in that game.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #18
RainMaker
General Manager

It's not just graphically though with FIFA. It's just that the physics are so real that I still get goals that I've never seen before.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #19
bhlloy
Coordinator

FIFA = nice physics, good graphics, plays smooth but nothing like the game of soccer IMO. I really don't understand all the love shown to it recently. It's better than it was but it's still a really poor simulation.

Last edited by bhlloy : 10-16-2009 at 05:23 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:13 AM   #20
Ryan S
Quarterback

FIFA 10 wins for me, but the PS3 version currently has serious disconnection issues online. A patch is due for release in the next few days which should hopefully fix it, hopefully by the US release date.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 PM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Who has FIFA 10? I've read some really great things about it and I'm thinking about picking it up this weekend.

I think it would be cool to play someone online. (360)
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:04 AM   #22
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I bought PES and FIFA last year. They both have their pros and cons.

PES just looks like soccer. I'll watch some goals 5 or 6 times just because it looks like something I'd see in a real game. However, I do hate how the players run. And the whole master league thing, ugh. Just absolutely kills it for me.

FIFA plays fun, but a lot of the goals seem the same to me. However, with the actual leagues/league setups, FIFA will always win for me.

Guess I can't have my cake and eat it too.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:05 AM   #23
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

I was thinking about getting it but I probably wouldn't be much competition.

Last edited by TCY Junkie : 10-21-2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Didn't mention I was talking to MizzouRah
TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:16 AM   #24
Icy
Pro Starter

I purchased FIFA yersterday and i must say i'm having a lot of fun with all the online modes, specially with the online be a pro, where you take over your virtual pro and join 20 guys to play with. There are both quick games and a full league if you join a team.

One of the problems past year with PES was that online worked really bad while FIFA did fine, let's see how is it this year.

I might end buying PES also, as half of my frieds prefer it so when we have soccer parties at home we can decide which one to play. I guess PES/FIFA in Spain are like Madden in USA, the game the guys play after friendly dinners while their wifes talk

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:42 AM   #25
RainMaker
General Manager

I think it's fun and I had some good games last night. As someone else said, it's still not really soccer. There was rarely ever a foul call and the CPU still only has one mode of attack.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
I was thinking about getting it but I probably wouldn't be much competition.

I'm a n0oB to FIFA, so let's play!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #27
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm also new somewhat (don't know how to do much of the advanced stuff) and not a soccer junkie, so you'd probably have an easy time with me. Let me know if you want to play ever guys. If enough get this game, maybe we could even setup a little tournament.

Two minor gripes about the game. First, the fouls still seem to be a little light. They don't seem to get enough on balls in the air when players are jockeying for position. They also don't call some that look like obvious fouls (slide tackle where your guy gets tripped).

The other is that on higher levels, their players seem to have magnets on their feet. Every loose ball goes to them. Tough to make a slide tackler or knock a ball loose when everytime it goes to another player near them.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #28
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Huh. I was actually kind of impressed with the number of fouls I was able to draw (and had called on me), even for obstruction and not just bad tackles. In a handful of games I've drawn a penalty and had an AI player commit a professional foul on a breakaway getting him sent off. It's more than I'm used to in previous soccer games at least. I do agree on the lack of aerial fouls, I haven't seen one of those yet.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

my thing with FIFA was that i have never really successfully managed to learn how to do dribbling-moves. I suppose in some respects this makes the game harder as i have to have good positional-play and passing to score, but it's also somewhat irritating.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #30
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

He won't just come out and say what he means.

(for Pumpy)
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #31
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Huh. I was actually kind of impressed with the number of fouls I was able to draw (and had called on me), even for obstruction and not just bad tackles. In a handful of games I've drawn a penalty and had an AI player commit a professional foul on a breakaway getting him sent off. It's more than I'm used to in previous soccer games at least. I do agree on the lack of aerial fouls, I haven't seen one of those yet.
I'm not sure what the average number of fouls a game is, but I'm guessing it's somewhere around 15 per team a game. I've never had a team get 10 yet and that's on 10 minute quarters. In fact, many games I've played see under 5 fouls a team.

I know it's tough to get fouls right on a game like this. Since we are playing less time you don't want it to be shrouded in foul calls. But I still think it misses a lot of obvious calls. On the higher levels I feel like I get tripped a lot, fall over, and no call. Had it happen 3 times in the box yesterday and never got a call (in fact I've yet to have a penalty kick).

I think making it a little more aggressive on the calls for players out of position making tackles would help. There are just too many clean takeaways in the game, especially when a defender isn't in a good position for it. I'd also like to see it called on the aerial plays a lot more, especially with less experienced players.

It's nothing gamebreaking, just a minor annoyance. I really wish there was a slider for it.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

As I've stated in the video game thread.. my initial impressions with FIFA 10 are outstanding. I played all night.. and in the AM and I really don't want to go the Blues game tonight because I want to go home and play FIFA.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #33
rowech
Pro Starter

Finally played FIFA the past couple of days. I can't do anything more than basic passes. My shooting is horrendous and I waste every free kick I have because I have no clue what in the world to do to make shots on goal a lot better. Love the game but so much goes into the game it makes it someone difficult to play.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #34
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Finally played FIFA the past couple of days. I can't do anything more than basic passes. My shooting is horrendous and I waste every free kick I have because I have no clue what in the world to do to make shots on goal a lot better. Love the game but so much goes into the game it makes it someone difficult to play.

this is 2/3 of my problems

-i can never do more than basic passes and square/through balls
-i hit maybe 1/100 free kicks on goal
Old 10-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #35
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I think the game plays a lot better with the game speed set to slow, there's more time to think about passes and it's not so ping-pongy.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:07 AM   #36
RainMaker
General Manager

I've been playing a lot online lately and having fun. I still don't know how to do the dribbling moves well which leaves me at a disadvantage. My biggest gripe with online though is that everyone plays as the same 3 teams.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:51 AM   #37
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I think the game plays a lot better with the game speed set to slow, there's more time to think about passes and it's not so ping-pongy.
You have to play ping-pongy though to an extent. I'd say 90% of all tackles are made cleanly just by running into the player no matter what their position is. Very few fouls and I've yet to see a penalty kick yet in 30+ games.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 AM   #38
RainMaker
General Manager

Does anyone know how to get your players to charge the net after you take a shot? I hit the crossbar or the goalie makes a diving save a lot. But when I do, the other attackers just kind of stand there and watch the ball sit in the box. They don't seem to have much interest in knocking in the rebound or playing soccer in general. Any setting or button that will make them go after those rebounds?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #39
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Before I buy FIFA 09 or 10 on Ebay anybody here willing to sell their copy for the 360 or PS3??

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #40
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I need to check and see if the PC modding community has fixed up FIFA 10...if they have i'll probably buy it for my PC rather than for my potential new PS3..usually the modding community does an excellent job making it even more realistic
Old 06-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #41
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I've got FIFA world cup on the 360 and I'm afraid I find it VASTLY inferior to the old PES games, the controls and that aren't 'bad' - but I find it nearly impossible to shoot with any degree of reliability which makes things very frustrating.

I'm open to any tips on improving my play in this regard - bearing in mind that I'm old and slow and not likely to be doing huge spider impressions with my fingers in a hurry

(I've also picked up PES2010 the other day and will be trying that out soon with a bit of luck ... tbh unless its a horrible game I'll probably end up playing PES more as I've spent a large part of the last 10 years learning PES controls and FIFA insists on using a different setup)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 06-21-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #42
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Before I buy FIFA 09 or 10 on Ebay anybody here willing to sell their copy for the 360 or PS3??

I don't, but i would suggest going for either the 2010 World Cup game ($40 online at gamestop right now), or save your money and go for FIFA 09 (if you want club play more than just national teams).

Buying FIFA 10 as opposed to the WC 2010 game is just bad value for money right now, because we're only a few months from FIFA 11.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 06-21-2010 at 12:28 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #43
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Okay - FIFA 09 is about 1/2 what FIFA 10 is used. Is 10 a huge upgrade/improvement to 09?

EDIT: I was posting this question before cthomer's reply (got a little sidetracked) . Thanks for the input

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 06-21-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #44
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Okay - FIFA 09 is about 1/2 what FIFA 10 is used. Is 10 a huge upgrade/improvement to 09?

Not really, although I do love 10, but ct laid it out perfectly. Your options right now should be 09, 10 World Cup version, or hold out a few months and grab 11.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #45
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Unless you plan on making this your buying cycle - buying late in the curve.

That's what I'll sometimes do with FIFA...if I buy FIFA 10 right now for example then I'll probably wait roughly 12 months until I buy FIFA 11, not just buy it right on release day.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #46
CraigSca
Pro Starter

btw, if you want to you can trade in FIFA 10 for $38 to amazon.com and get a store credit. Not sure how much credit places like Gamestop are giving for it, but I thought it was a pretty good deal.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #47
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

FIFA 10 used at Gamestop is $55 - LAME!

FIFA 09 is $18

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 06-21-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #48
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I've got FIFA world cup on the 360 and I'm afraid I find it VASTLY inferior to the old PES games, the controls and that aren't 'bad' - but I find it nearly impossible to shoot with any degree of reliability which makes things very frustrating.

I'm open to any tips on improving my play in this regard - bearing in mind that I'm old and slow and not likely to be doing huge spider impressions with my fingers in a hurry

(I've also picked up PES2010 the other day and will be trying that out soon with a bit of luck ... tbh unless its a horrible game I'll probably end up playing PES more as I've spent a large part of the last 10 years learning PES controls and FIFA insists on using a different setup)

Assuming that FIFA WC is the same as FIFA 10 and you're having the same problem as me, I learned something that helped my shooting DRAMATICALLY.

Double tap shoot.

Do not do the power up and blah blah blah. Double tap shoot.

Now, this won't work outside of the box as it is just too weak, but this is the only way I score - with the double tap.

I'm still learning on FIFA 10, but that took me from literally never being able to hit the box to scoring at around an expected pace (1-2 goals against equal skill teams, more against bad teams, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #49
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Just saw Best Buy has FIFA World Cup 10 for $40. Maybe I'll try that one since the World Cup has got my attention to soccer any how.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 06-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #50
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Just saw Best Buy has FIFA World Cup 10 for $40. Maybe I'll try that one since the World Cup has got my attention to soccer any how.

1. It will hold it's value for a while. You can probably buy it now for $40, and then still sell it for $25-30 even when FIFA 11 comes out.

2. It's a great game.

It has every single team who competed in qualifying, so you can be Cambodia or Grenada if you want.

Also, i personally really enjoy the scenarios in the 'Story of Qualifying' mode. It has a bunch of real-world scenarios from qualifying, World Cup 06, and they've been creating a scenario for every single WC game this WC on a 2 day lag. So you can try to help South Africa grab the winner against Mexico in the opening game instead of the tie, etc.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote