Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #51
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow that is goofy Jon. I know Carolina is having a bad season for them at least, but that would be freaky if they didn't even make the conference tournament.

Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
wow that is goofy Jon. I know Carolina is having a bad season for them at least, but that would be freaky if they didn't even make the conference tournament.

It really is pretty wild, but that's what they're up against.

As of Sunday FSU & Clemson are the top 2 in the Atlantic, GT & Miami are the top 2 in the Coastal. For the other four spots, Virginia is 12-6, then NC State, BC, and Va Tech are all 9-9, which would fill the field. They're followed by Duke & UNC at 6-12, then Maryland (4-14) and Wake (2-16) bring up the rear. And Duke even has the tiebreaker edge over UNC thanks to taking 2 of 3 from them in their only series of the year.

The remaining schedule for UNC isn't a picnic either, with Clemson, Wake, UVA, and VaTech still to go.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #53
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It is not totally hopeless for UNC. Oklahoma State made the field of 64 last year despite not making the Big 12 tournament.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-19-2010 at 03:02 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #54
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas is now up to 16 consecutive wins. They've now swept four straight series against conference opponents. Pitching has been lights out for Texas, with the staff giving up 3 or fewer runs in 14 of those 16 straight wins.

With Arizona State slipping up twice this past week, the Horns have a good shot at reclaiming the #1 spot in the polls.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT loses 2 of 3 at home to Va Tech.

Jackets are now 16-5 in the conference, Miami & UVA are both 15-6 after the Canes dropped 2 of 3 to FSU while Virginia swept Maryland.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #56
Thomkal
Head Coach

After sweeping conference rival VMI, Coastal Carolina stays in Virginia for a big game today against Virginia. They are ranked either #1 and #5 in the polls while Coastal is ranked #4 and #10. I hope the weather cooperates.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #57
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
After sweeping conference rival VMI, Coastal Carolina stays in Virginia for a big game today against Virginia. They are ranked either #1 and #5 in the polls while Coastal is ranked #4 and #10. I hope the weather cooperates.

Weather should be fine here in Charlottesville...
Old 04-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #58
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sadly the Chants could not keep the magic alive and had their 14 game winning streak broken by Virginia 6-3.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #59
cartman
Death Herald

Texas swept Baylor over the weekend to push their winning streak to 20 games, and have set a Big 12 record with 17 straight conference wins. Their magic number to claim the regular season conference crown is 1.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT loses 2 out of 3 at home vs NC State, falls all the way to 3rd place in their division, now trailing both UVA & Miami by one full game. FSU has a 3 game lead over Clemson in the other half.

Jackets fall all the way to #17 from #8 in the Baseball America rankings (UVA, Texas, Az State, Florida, and FSU are the top 5, Coastal Carolina is #7, UCLA falls back to #12, Arkansas is #14 among teams that get some mentions in this thread)
Old 05-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #61
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA was destroyed at home by ASU. Bad series all around
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #62
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas has had a bad couple of weekends. Got hosed on a call at the plate to lose the series at Florida and then gave up an 8 run 5th inning Saturday against Auburn and basically shut them down the rest of the game. Of course, getting blown out 13-2 the following day lost that series. Haven't been swept yet, at least, but our momentum is pretty much gone. Went through a similar, but much worse, stretch last season and still managed to catch fire in the tournament. Hope to do so again.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #63
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina swept UNC-Asheville to remain undefeated in Big South play.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #64
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
GT loses 2 out of 3 at home vs NC State, falls all the way to 3rd place in their division, now trailing both UVA & Miami by one full game. FSU has a 3 game lead over Clemson in the other half.

Not that it matters as we hit our typical late-season swoon; but that series was at State.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #65
cartman
Death Herald

In honor of the final series of games in Rosenblatt's history, the NCAA came out with the "College World Series Legends Team".

NCAA And CWS, INC., Announce College World Series Legends Team - NCAA.com – The Official Website of NCAA Championships

Code:
Name Institution Pos Year In CWS Will Clark Mississippi State University 1B 1985 Dustin Ackley University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 1B 2007-09 Bob Horner Arizona State University 2B 1976-78 Todd Walker Louisiana State University 2B 1993-94 Spike Owen University of Texas at Austin SS 1981-82 Nomar Garciaparra Georgia Institute of Technology SS 1994 *Darwin Barney Oregon State University SS 2005-07 Sal Bando Arizona State University 3B 1964-65 Robin Ventura Oklahoma State University 3B 1986-87 *Pat Burrell University of Miami (Florida) 3B 1996-98 Fred Lynn University of Southern California OF 1971-73 Dave Winfield University of Minnesota, Twin Cities OF 1973 Terry Francona University of Arizona OF 1979-80 Barry Bonds Arizona State University OF 1983-84 Mark Kotsay California State University, Fullerton OF 1994-95 J.D. Drew Florida State University OF 1995-96 Steve Arlin The Ohio State University P 1965-66 Burt Hooton University of Texas at Austin P 1969-70 *Eddie Bane Arizona State University P 1972-73 Huston Street University of Texas at Austin P 2002-04 Jason Windsor California State University, Fullerton P 2004 Landon Powell University of South Carolina, Columbia C 2002-04 Ryan Garko Stanford University C 2001-03 Pete Incaviglia Oklahoma State University DH 1983-85 Brooks Kieschnick University of Texas at Austin DH 1992-93 Skip Bertman Louisiana State University Coach 1986-87, 89-91, 93-94, 96-98, 2000 Rod Dedeaux University of Southern California Coach 1951, 55, 58, 60-61, 63-64, 66, 68, 70-74, 78 Augie Garrido California State University, Fullerton / University of Texas at Austin Coach 1975, 79, 82, 84, 92, 94-95 / 2000, 02-05, 09 * Utility Player
Old 05-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #66
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas goes on the road and takes 2 of 3 from Ole Miss. Frankly, the Rebels' Saturday starter had the game of his life last night to help them take game 2 by a score of 3-2. The other two games were much easier wins for the Hogs, 11-4 and 7-0. Good to see us rebound from a couple of poor weekends. Need to finish strong and get on a roll for the post-season.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #67
cartman
Death Herald

Texas had their 20 game win streak stopped by #20 Kansas State, losing 2-1 on Friday. They got revenge the next day, winning 17-2, and clinching the regular season Big 12 crown. The finished the series on Sunday with a 6-5 win.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #68
MJ4H
Coordinator

South Carolina sweeps Arkansas in Fayetteville. Three good games, all 3 had very timely hits and great pitching for the Gamecocks. Arkansas had decent pitching, but never got the timely hits. Big blow to our hosting goals. We'll see how we respond at Vandy next weekend.

Amazing LSU got swept by Kentucky and may not even make the SEC tournament.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #69
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

wow, the WAC is ending the season absolutely crazy. New Mexico St. was running away with the division 10 days ago. Now they have lost 7 straight conference games and any team in the top 5 has a chance to win the WAC regular season . Hawai'i has won 5 of 6 but has to win out to have any chance, but looks decent to at least win 2 or 3 of 4 if not the next 4. craziness!

Last edited by k0ruptr : 05-16-2010 at 04:31 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #70
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT takes 2/3 from Miami, pulls into a 2nd place tie for the division but still 1 game back of UVA which beat UNC today to stay in front. Miami & UVA play next weekend to end the regular season while GT travels to BC.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #71
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Amazing LSU got swept by Kentucky and may not even make the SEC tournament.

Never seen so manytalented players lose so much confidence under a very good coach before. It is still a top 5-10 talented team with guys with the right attitude, the wheels have just come off. After all the LSU teams that have found their groove so easily over the years, I guess there was bound to be a year like this sooner or later.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #72
cartman
Death Herald

Texas swept La Tech in a doubleheader yesterday. They play Mizzou in the final series of the season this weekend, before starting conference tournament play.

It will be interesting to see who gets the #1 overall seed for the CWS. Virginia, Texas, and Arizona State all have strong cases, and Coastal Carolina could sneak in and get it as well.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #73
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal swept 2nd place Liberty to claim the Big South Crown and remain undefeated. All that remains is a an out of conference home game against College of Charleston and a final series at 3rd place Radford.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #74
cartman
Death Herald

Texas finished the regular season with a sweep of Mizzou. The Big 12 tournament starts on Wednesday, and Texas' first matchup is against... Mizzou.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #75
MJ4H
Coordinator

Similar to Arkansas who finished the season taking 2 of 3 on the road at Vanderbilt and then opens the SEC tournament against Vanderbilt.

Hogs are holding out their two best players for at least the opener of the tournament, probably more, so that they will be ready for regionals. Hopefully we have done enough to host already. I think we have.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #76
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Hopefully we have done enough to host already. I think we have.

Looking at the latest RPI (before this weekend's games), I think you'd probably have to run into a perfect storm disaster scenario to not get a hosting opportunity. At that point there were 6 SEC teams in the top 16 in RPI, Arkansas was second among those trailing only Florida. I can see where an Auburn or an Alabama could end up not hosting in order to spread the geography out more but it's tough for me to imagine how Arkansas could get bumped that far down.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #77
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

ACC tournament is set, with UVA & Clemson as the top two seeds (as division winners), GT and Miami as #3 & #4. FSU, Va Tech, NC State & BC round out the field.

The last spot came down to BC beating GT in the regular season finale, allowing them to stay tied for #8 with UNC who did all they could do by sweeping Va Tech. NC State got in by sweeping Duke who lost 10 of their last 11 conference games.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #78
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow North Carolina doesn't make the conference tournament. What's their overall record then? Coastal will sure breathe a sigh of relief if their nemesis is not in the NCAA's.

Speaking of Coastal, they became the 4th team since 2000 to go undefeated in their conference, and quite possibly on record for the most conference wins ever with 25. The Big South tourney starts tomorrow, though Coastal won't play till Wednesday. They likely have clinched a national seed already, baring an awful 2 losses and your out in the tournament.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #79
cartman
Death Herald

Texas really screwed the pooch in the Big 12 tournament, losing their first two games. Need to get whatever is wrong turned around in a hurry.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #80
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Need to get whatever is wrong turned around in a hurry.

Thank goodness it won't be against OU. I went to the first game of the OU-texas series, and it was hard to watch our hitters against your ace. It was maybe one of the most pitcher-dominated games I've seen in college baseball (not that I'm a huge college baseball afficianado)
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #81
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Hawaii has won the first two legs of the WAC tournament after coming on strong at the end of the WAC season winning something like 10 of there last 12 or 13. YAY! win a couple more , and they win the WAC tourney!
Old 05-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #82
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wacky times in the ACC tourney, both GT & Clemson lose the first games in their pool to VaTech & NCSU respectively. Meanwhile the UVA/Miami pool has four teams all at 1-1 with one game to play.

And since they're a frequent part of this thread, I'll mention that Arkansas is out of the SEC tourney, eliminated yesterday by Florida. Meanwhile #8 seed LSU and #7 seed Alabama are the remaining unbeaten teams awaiting the winners of Ole Miss-Auburn and Florida-Vandy elimination games.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:20 AM   #83
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas went 2 and done. They rested all of their best players for the tourney. It was a clear phone-in, sadly. Cox, Eibner, and Smyly, all sat game 1, and Smyly pitched in relief in game 2.

Still looked worse than they should've. Pretty grim outlook on regional performance, but it was last year, too.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #84
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Can someone tell me who won the final regular season game in Rosenblatt history???
Old 05-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #85
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina had to hang on to beat Radford after taking a 10-0 lead in the second, but did so successfully winning 11-9. They remain undefeated in Big South play as they take on High Point today.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #86
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Can someone tell me who won the final regular season game in Rosenblatt history???

*sigh* So bittersweet... but 99% bitter...
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #87
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
*sigh* So bittersweet... but 99% bitter...
Totally with you, my man.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #88
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal weathered a rain delay and a 6-1 deficit after 4 innings to come back to beat High Point 15-9. They move on to the Finals on Saturday against either #4 High Point or #2 Liberty
Old 05-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #89
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

woot woot!!! Hawaii is still undefeated in the WAC tourney as they smashed #1 seed Fresno State 11-3 last nite. And now they are 1 win away from winning the WAC tournament!
Old 05-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #90
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina has conquered the Big South Conference this year-going undefeated during the regular season and conference tourney. They beat Liberty 8-2 to win the crown. They should now be a national seed in the NCAA's
Old 05-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #91
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT wins over NC State this morning to complete the rain delayed game from last night. Now they need to beat Clemson in the game just starting & have NCSU beat VaTech in the nightcap (if I understand things right) to advance to the ACC title game.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #92
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Naturally GT loses to Clemson 9-3, so the winner of the NCSU-VaTech game tonight will advance to meet FSU in the ACC tournament final.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:36 AM   #93
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

From the ACC Facebook feed ... Wolfpack scores on a Maynard single and holds off Hokies, 10-9 in 10 innings. #7 NC State and #5 Florida State meet in the 2010 ACC Championship Game at 1 pm.

In the SEC it'll be #7 seed Alabama vs #8 seed LSU tomorrow at 2pm Eastern.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:07 AM   #94
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow that's some crazy tournaments with all the low seeds making it to the Finals
Old 05-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #95
mckerney
Coordinator

Minnesota won the Big Ten Tournament championship as the top seed and regular season champions, though it's a bit of a surprise after they were 8-16 early in the season.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #96
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
From the ACC Facebook feed ... Wolfpack scores on a Maynard single and holds off Hokies, 10-9 in 10 innings.

That doesn't tell the half of it. State was pounding the Hokies early on, leading 7-1 in the fourth. In the bottom half of the fourth, State's starter lost all control and confidence, allowing the Hokies to rock him for seven runs, all with two outs (gotta love college baseball). Why wasn't he pulled? Because State's bullpen blows huge chunks. Coach Avent opted to burn up the staff ace by bringing him in relief. A little rough to start, but he kept the Pack in it the rest of the way. State managed to push over the tying run late and then won it in the 10th.

So, the Pack played two games in one day, burned up their best pitchers, and now gets to play FSU. Not ideal. State's going to have to win it with the bats again. Doesn't work over an entire season (see the #7 seed we got), but may work out in a weekend tournament.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #97
MJ4H
Coordinator

May 30, 2010

NCAA Release

INDIANAPOLIS –
The NCAA Division I Baseball Committee announced the 16 regional sites for the 64th annual NCAA Division I Baseball Championship.

The 16 regional sites, with host institutions and records are as follows: Arizona State (47-8), Tempe, Ariz.; Arkansas (40-18), Fayetteville, Ark.; Auburn (40-19), Auburn, Ala.; Cal State Fullerton (40-15 through Saturday, May 29), Fullerton, Calif.; Coastal Carolina (51-7), Conway, S.C.; Connecticut (47-14), Storrs, Conn.; Florida (42-15), Gainesville, Fla.; Georgia Tech (45-13), Atlanta; Louisville (48-12), Louisville, Ky.; Miami (Florida) (40-17), Coral Gables, Fla.; Oklahoma (44-15), Norman, Okla.; South Carolina (43-15), Columbia, S.C.; Texas (46-11), Austin, Texas; TCU (46-11), Fort Worth, Texas; UCLA (42-13), Los Angeles; Virginia (47-11), Charlottesville, Va.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #98
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

and at that HAWAII WINS ! woot. I'm sure they are off to Fullerton, they always get stuck with that regional when they get in lol. but the main thing is we are in yay! 9-6 over Fresno State, Hawaii really got hot at the right time this season.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #99
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Never seen so manytalented players lose so much confidence under a very good coach before. It is still a top 5-10 talented team with guys with the right attitude, the wheels have just come off. After all the LSU teams that have found their groove so easily over the years, I guess there was bound to be a year like this sooner or later.

But LSU pulls it together to win their third straight SEC tourny, the first #8 seed to ever win it. Could they do what Oregon State did a few years ago? (Win a second straight championship after struggling in the regular season?) Who knows. Don't know what to expect from this team at this point.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:51 AM   #100
StLee
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
But LSU pulls it together to win their third straight SEC tourny, the first #8 seed to ever win it. Could they do what Oregon State did a few years ago? (Win a second straight championship after struggling in the regular season?) Who knows. Don't know what to expect from this team at this point.

If the pitching comes together in the NCAA tournament like it did in the SEC tournament, LSU will break a lot of teams' hearts.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote