Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Manute Bol dies at 47

Former NBA player Manute Bol dies at 47 - ESPN

Bol dies after battle with disease
Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Manute Bol, a lithe 7-foot-7 shot-blocker from Sudan who spent 10 seasons in the NBA and was dedicated to humanitarian work in Africa, died Saturday. He was 47.

Bol died at the University of Virginia Hospital in Charlottesville, where he was being treated for severe kidney trouble and a painful skin condition, Tom Prichard, executive director of the group Sudan Sunrise, said in an e-mail.

"Sudan and the world have lost a hero and an example for all of us," Prichard said. "Manute, we'll miss you. Our prayers and best wishes go out to all his family, and all who mourn his loss."

Bol played 10 seasons in the NBA with Washington, Golden State, Philadelphia and Miami and later worked closely as an advisory board member of Sudan Sunrise, which promotes reconciliation in Sudan. Bol averaged 2.6 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.3 blocked shots.

"Manute's impact on this city, our franchise and the game of basketball cannot be put into words," 76ers president and general manager Ed Stefanski said in a statement. "He ... was continually giving of himself through his generosity and humanitarian efforts in order to make the world around him a much better place, for which he will always be remembered."

Bol was hospitalized in mid-May during a stopover in Washington after returning to the United States from Sudan. Prichard said then that Bol was in Sudan to help build a school in conjunction with Sudan Sunrise but stayed longer than anticipated after the president of southern Sudan asked him to make election appearances and use his influence to counter corruption in his home county.

He said Bol had undergone three dialysis treatments and developed Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, a condition that caused him to lose patches of skin.

Prichard said the skin around Bol's mouth was so sore that he went 11 days without eating and could barely talk.

Prichard said it's believed that Bol contracted the skin disease as a reaction to kidney medication he took while in Africa.

Janis Ricker, operations manager of Sudan Sunrise, said Saturday that the organization would continue its work building the school in Bol's home village in southern Sudan. The building still lacks a second floor roof, she said.

She said Bol's goal was to build 41 schools throughout Sudan.

"We are in the process of still helping Manute build a school, and we will continue with that," Ricker said.

Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

RIP Big Guy
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

That sounds awful.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Schmidty
Coordinator

Damn. He was a good man.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Damn. He was a good man.

Big plus 1. He did so much good work.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
whomario
Pro Starter

sad, sad news ... A few days ago word was he was recovering ... Have been following the situation in sudan myself for years now (one of my best friends comes from there) and naturally also knew about his efforts there. Literally spend almost every dollar he made for his efforts there.

He more than once was broke and publicly said he would quit his work because nothing was changing, but then got back onto it and kept on trying to help...

A good article from a few days back : http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...659/story.html
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
A good article from a few days back : http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...659/story.html

Thank you.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Wow I remember that cat. Tallest skinniest guy I've ever seen playing ball or anything. Yeah they could have left out the details of his painful disease. WTB some tact.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I remember seeing the Bullets play one time when they had him and Mugsy. Crazy how tall he was.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

Is it me, or does it seem like the really freakishly tall guys in the NBA end up having kidney trouble later in life? Didn't Mutumbo also have kidney issues?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:01 AM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Is it me, or does it seem like the really freakishly tall guys in the NBA end up having kidney trouble later in life? Didn't Mutumbo also have kidney issues?

You may be thinking of Alonzo Mourning, who had to have a transplant.

Manute was a great humanitarian, RIP! Glad to hear they will carry on the work in his honor as well.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:09 AM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

I'm sure any doctors around here can provide more details, but in my dim recollection, I seem to recall that the very tall in general tend to suffer from unusual medical conditions, or normal medical conditions that are extraordinarily exacerbated by the height of the victims. Basically, evolution didn't design the human body to be that tall, so problems result.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that kidney issues are one such problem.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I remember seeing the Bullets play one time when they had him and Mugsy. Crazy how tall he was.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
boberot
High School Varsity

My small city brought him in one year for a Cultural Diversity Weekend and I had the honor of eating dinner with him at a local restaurant with a small handful of people.

I told myself over and over not to be in awe when he walked it, but when I saw him duck under the archway to come in, it took my breath away.

He really seemed to be a very humble, very gracious, soft-spoken man with a heart of gold. This is very sad.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

I had this poster in my room as a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #16
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This sucks.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I'm sure any doctors around here can provide more details, but in my dim recollection, I seem to recall that the very tall in general tend to suffer from unusual medical conditions, or normal medical conditions that are extraordinarily exacerbated by the height of the victims. Basically, evolution didn't design the human body to be that tall, so problems result.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that kidney issues are one such problem.

Thought I replied to this already; what I THOUGHT I posted is that my understanding was that the abnormally tall suffer from heart issues by and large.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote