Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-29-2005, 12:31 PM   #101
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

FOFC ALL STARS - Picks Update

I want to keep this moving along - so I'm going to update you on status and allow the rest on the list to start sending in their players:

mtaystl03 it looks like is going to be a catcher (just trying to make sure we get the right one)
thealmighty last I heard was looking at a pitcher

The rest of the list
Fouts
TK
Ramzavail
Nolebody
Blade

If the people listed in the rest section want to start sending in their list, based on available positions, we can lock up the position you want and allow the board members lower on the list to try and narrow down their choices.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:16 PM   #102
Ramzavail
College Starter

can I get a position update?

I am thinking about pitcher or second base.

Last edited by Ramzavail : 09-29-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #103
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail
can I get a position update?

I am thinking about pitcher or second base.

Sure, assuming I'm right about mtaystl03 and thealmighty we have still available:

1 catcher
1 second baseman
1 shortstop
1 third baseman

3 pitchers.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:02 PM   #104
Blade
College Prospect

I am thinking about second base or third base...pitcher if needed...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:04 PM   #105
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

mtaystl03 - does pick a catcher

thealmighty as soon as you are ready

Fouts - go ahead and get you list in

TK - you can send yours as well if your ready

Ramzavail
Nolebody
Blade

Last edited by Breeze : 09-29-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:43 PM   #106
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'll be anything!
If I had to make a "preference" it would probably be 2B/SS but really, it's all good.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:20 PM   #107
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

NEGRO LEAGUE TEAM 1 - Roster and Scouting Report

P - David Barnhill (R) - a 5' 7" 145 lb. power pitcher, who was at one time being considered as the best prospect to break the color barrier. He was part of a Pirates tryout with Roy Campanella and Sammy Hughes - but owner Ben Benswanger chickened out and the opportunity did not materialize.

CF - Cool Papa Bell (L) - a Lou Brock type player, but probably better than Brock. Famous for his speed, but he hit for power as well. In fact, at 43 he hit .430 in the Mexican League.

CF - Oscar Charleston (L) - for all the pub that Bell has gotten for his amazing speed and talent plus his memorable nick name - Oscar was the greatest CF of the Negro Leagues. In fact, many knowledgeable people say he was the greatest Negro League ball player ever. He was a combination of Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker and Babe Ruth rolled into 1 player. Many people remarked about how shallow a CF Willie Mays played when he first came into the major leagues - Mays learned to play that way from watching Charleston.

3b - Ray Dandridge (R) - really was a shortstop that played 3b because he was a teammate of Willie Wells (look below). Sort of a Brooks Robinson type of player defensively, offensively he's compairable to Pie Traynor.

P - Leon Day (R) - most consistently good Negro League pitcher of the late 30's and 40's. Smart pitcher with a nice fastball.

UTL - Martin DiHigo (R) - Played every position on the field at one time in his career, but mostly lined up at 2b, 3b, ss, or one of 3 OF positions. Fast, graceful, and blessed with a powerful arm. One winter in the Dominican league HOFer Johnny Mize and DiHigo played on the same team, and Mize said, "DiHigo was the only guy I ever saw who could play all nine positions, manage, run and switch-hit. I thought I was having a pretty good year myself down there, and they were walking him to pitch to me."

P - Bill Foster (L) - half brother of Rube Foster (a founder of the Negro Leagues). A classic control pitcher with a wide assortment of pitches, all delivered with the same motion.

P - Rube Foster (R) - Father of the Negro Leagues, but a hell of pitcher in his own right. Didn't play as much as he could have because he was often dealing with league issues and didn't have time to take the field.

Of - Jelly Gardner (L) - leadoff man, very fast, with a phenominal throwing arm.

3b - Judy Johnson (R) - smaller, slower version of Dandridge. Contact hitter without much power.

1b - Buck Leonard (L) - short and stocky first baseman with a compact stroke that generated enormous bat speed. Sort of a left handed Hank Aaron.

SS - Pop Lloyd (L) - tall, rangy player, powerful and extremely fast. Often described as the black Honus Wagner, to which Honus replied "I consider it a privilege to be compared to Lloyd."

C - Biz Mackey (S) - best defensive catcher in the Negro League (maybe ever). He taught Campanella how to play the position. Was also dangerous offensively, and was athletic enough to play some league games at SS.

P - Webster McDonald (R) - submarine pitcher that used an effortless motion, good control, change of speeds and a sinking fastball.

P - Satchel Paige (R) - tall, lanky right hander that truly understood the concept of promotion. No need to explain further - he is one of the most recognized names in all of the sport despite the fact he didnt' even play in the majors until after he was ??? - well as is par for the course with Paige, we really aren't quite sure how old he was.

P - Bullet Joe Rogan (R) - outstanding pitcher with a tremendous fastball and nice curve - plus good control. He was a star of the K. C. Monarchs for 20 years.

P - Hilton Smith (R) - an often overlooked pitcher who was about as good as anyone. Smith was best know as Satchel's relief. Paige, who was often in demand would have to start almost every game, so often he would pitch the first couple innings then turn it over to Smith - would would go 6 or more in relief, and the spectators often said "with no difference in effectiveness."

Of - Turkey Stearnes (L) - sort of a Mel Ott, Ted Williams type. Turkey loved to hit and his lifetime .352 with Stargell like power. He liked hitting so much - he would talk to his bats as if they were his children.

Of - Mule Suttles (R) - Great power hitter who swung for power - but he still maintained a good average. The bat he used weighed 50 ounces.

RF - Christobal Torriente (L) - Cuban superstar who was so good defensively that Charleston moved over to LF to allow him to roam in Center. Later he moved to RF to take advantage of his strong arm. He was light enough skined he might have been able to play in the majors but he had "Crinkly hair".

C - Fleetwood Walker (R)- tall, slender, hansome and intelligent player who was the first to play in the major leagues when he played 42 games for the Toledo Blue Stockings of the American Association in 1884. The superstar of the time Cap Anson refused to play against him in 1887 when we he was with Newark.

SS - Willie Wells (R) - a generation later than Lloyd, but a comparable player. Did everything outstanding except throw.

P - Smokey Joe Wiliams (R) - Williams was to the first half of black baseball what Paige was in the second half.

C - Josh Gibson (R) - Probably the greatest catcher to ever play the game, and maybe the greatest right handed power hitter ever. Bill Veeck said Gibson was the greatest hitter he ever saw, as did countless other observers.

Last edited by Breeze : 09-30-2005 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:04 AM   #108
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Here is where we stand:

mtaystl03 - picked a catcher, but I'm waiting on a player name to announce him.

thealmighty has been on the clock for over 24 hours so he'll be processed as soon as he sends in a list.

Fouts - is on the clock and will get processed as soon as his list is in.

TK - is on deck and has a list of names to research. As soon as Fouts is in, TK will be processed when her's names are in.

Ramzavail - is in the hole

Nolebody & Blade are still on hold, but I know I can get Nolebody's quickly.

Last edited by Breeze : 09-30-2005 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:33 PM   #109
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Here is where we stand:

mtaystl03 - I'm still waiting on a player name to announce him.

thealmighty - still looking for his list

Fouts - picks a 3bman

TK - is our second shortstop

Ramzavail - is a RH pitcher

Blade you are up you can pick a 2b, P or Catcher.

Guys who just picked - I need player names and any descriptions you'd like to send.

Last edited by Breeze : 09-30-2005 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:24 AM   #110
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

FOFC ALL STARS - Player Updates

I'm back in the bull pen watching the players throw, when a ball goes wizzing by me and smacks the catchers mitt. I turn around a see another giant of a man standing a good 20 feet behind the mound with a huge grin on his face. James Rodney, a feared hard throwing right handeder was ready to show off his stuff.

We are definately going to strike some people out, we just have to be careful not to allow free passes.

I look at the bull pen coach, Del Crandal, and he's got a grimmace on his face, and he's shaking his head. We really need to get some catchers in here - Del's hand is already black and blue, and that was before we got another fireballer in camp.

Last edited by Breeze : 10-01-2005 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:28 AM   #111
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I have serveral others signed up, but I need:

NAMES, NAMES, NAMES, NAMES, NAMES, NAMES, NAMES, NAMES...

Descriptions wouldn't hurt either.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:04 AM   #112
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Blade - is researching a 2B and I should have something soon.

thealmighty - waiting on his list (TA, if you want some suggestions let me know)

Nolebody - already has a catcher and 2 pitchers selected so he'll wait till everyone else has selected before making his choice.

By my count we came up 2 players short of 25. To fill those final two spots I think I'll give every member of the team a chance to send in a list of 5 players for the position (just like you did for your own player), and I'll combine the lists - like votes - and take the player who was selected most often.

Is that an exceptable method for you?

Of course if someone would like to sign up - we still have 2 slots open.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:26 PM   #113
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

FOFC ALL STARS - Team Update

The day of workouts just ended, I'm sitting in my office drinking a beer, watching the guys file out, most I think are headed to the golf course. I start wondering when we'll sign the rest of the team.

My tought is interrupted by a knock on the door. It's Gopher, that's not actually his name, but it is his job and he looks so much like one I can't help but call him that.

"Come in."

"I got a message for you," Gopher responds.

"What's it say?"

"I don't know, I just deliver the messages, I'm not allowed to read them," he lied.

I take the envelope, go to open it, and I realize it isn't sealed. I look sternly at Gopher, who shrugs and responds, "Secretary must have forgotten to seal it." and he quickly turns and scampers out of the room.

I pull out the note and it says:

ROSTER COMPLETE...

25 TOTAL PLAYERS HAVE BEEN SIGNED...

DETAILS TO FOLLOW SOON

I think to myself...Good....I wonder what their names are?
Old 10-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #114
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Excellent!
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:06 PM   #115
Blade
College Prospect

Sweet!

Old 10-02-2005, 08:46 PM   #116
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

FOFC ALL STARS - Player Update

I got word from the team manager tonight that 4 players signed into the team hotel.
When I pressed him for more information, he went to the hotel desk and got the names for me - Barrett Blade, Harry Hays, Sammy Knowles, and Bo Knowles.

Blade is a fine fielding fleet footed, right handed hitting, second baseman that makes consistent contact.

Hays is a strong armed catcher who covers ground well and will put a bat on the ball. He also has decent power and is also a right handed hitter.

Sammy Knowles is another hard throwing right handed closer type that blows people away with a fast ball.

Bo Knowles - Sammy's older brother is a left handed closer type that also can strike people out.

The Knowles brothers and Kronside give me 3 tough pitcher at the end of games that I can turn too. That will prove most helpful in this league.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:58 PM   #117
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, I still have 3 players that I need name from, I can't introduce your character if I don't have a name. You've been warned, if I don't get a name by tomorrow night, then I will use a name based on information in your profile or some take-off on your board name. The name I will use is listed below:

terpkristen (Chris Terp)
mtaystl03 (Billy Bullock)
Fouts (Dan Fouts)

As soon as I get name for the 3 above (no later than tomorrow night), I will begin a 20 game spring training.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:02 PM   #118
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

FOFC ALL STARS - League Business Update

A few items of business.

1. The season will be 154 games - not 162. The schedule didn't work out nicely with 162. We will play 14 games against teams in our division and 10 against team in the other.

2. The pitcher added to the turn of the century team was Smokey Joe Woods (see previous League Businss Update post to see why and who was added to other teams).

3. The NL Pre WWII team sent George Kelly to the Old Timers for future considerations, and they sent Rabbit Maranville to the Turn of Century team for future considerations.

4. The Left Outs send Bill Mazeroski to the Dead Ball team for future considerations.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:07 PM   #119
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

To get the league started quicker I'm not going to give notes on all the players, but I will try to list the player names (except for the Japanese team, because the names wouldn't mean much to any of you anyway).

Last edited by Breeze : 10-03-2005 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:23 AM   #120
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze
To get the league starter quicker I'm not going to give notes on all the players, but I will try to list the player names (except for the Japanese team, because the names wouldn't mean much to any of you anyway).

Hey!

Shigeo Nagashima
Katsuya Nomura
Sadahru Oh
Victor Starfin
Masaichi Kaneda
Hiromitsu Ochiai...

j/k

I want to get started quickly, too.

Last edited by oykib : 10-03-2005 at 03:06 AM.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:31 AM   #121
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
Hey!

Shigeo Nagashima
Katsuya Nomura
Sadahru Oh
Victor Starfin
Masaichi Kaneda
Hiromitsu Ochiai...

j/k

I want to get started quickly, too.

Very nice. I'm impressed.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:57 AM   #122
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

THIS IS A TEST OF THE FOFC FORMATTING SYSTEM. THIS IS ONLY A TEST!

THIS HAS BEEN A TEST OF THE FOFC FORMATTING SYSTEM - HAD THIS BEEN A REAL GAME, DETAILS OF THE ACTION WOULD HAVE FOLLOWED. THIS CONCLUDES THE TEST OF THE FOFC FORMATTING SYSTEM.

Last edited by Breeze : 10-03-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:44 AM   #123
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

I think you should start a new thread for the actual season.. might be cleaner?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:45 AM   #124
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in Cinti
I think you should start a new thread for the actual season.. might be cleaner?

I was considering that. Thanks for the input.

Should we run the spring in the thread with the season or this thread?
Old 10-03-2005, 10:37 AM   #125
Johnny93g
College Starter

whatever you think is best, i dont really care, im just anctious to take the mound!!!!!!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:02 AM   #126
oykib
College Starter

This thread hasn't become unwieldly yet. You could run Spring training here.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #127
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

I agree... Spring Training in this thread...

Pflaggstettler is ready to win a job...

-Chas
Old 10-03-2005, 01:36 PM   #128
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

As we finish up our early morning workout, I begin comtemplating the rotation for the early part of Spring and the lineup for our first game, which unbelievably occurs later this afternoon. I'm not sure what I'll do with the players yet, probably will depend on who the Left Outs are throwing. However, I know I'm going to start Hunter, a little reward for being the first in camp. He'll probably go 4, Babson will follow and he'll probably go 3, then we'll see what happens in the last 2 innings.

Last edited by Breeze : 10-03-2005 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:20 PM   #129
Travis
Pro Rookie

Oh it's going to be fun knowing that every time Thunderstruck queue's up and Kronside steps out of the pen that it's going to be light's out for the HoF'ers.

I hope anyways
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:29 PM   #130
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

LEFT OUTS - Roster & Scouting Report

SS - Lou Boudreau (R) - Probably the slowest SS ever.

P - Steve Carlton (L) - One of the first players to hate the media.

C - Mickey Cochrane (L) - supported by Ty Cobb after retirement.

P - Don Drsdale (R) - Per 100 starts averaged 44 wins and 34 losses

1b/3B - Jimmy Foxx (R) - The Beast

OF - Goose Goslin (L) - nickname came from his nose not his last name.

Of - Harry Heilman (R) - in even years he hit .323 in odd years .362

2b/3b - Billy Herman (R) - in his first AB, he fouled a ball off the plate so hard it bounced back up hit him in the head and knocked him cold.

Of/1b - Monte Irvin (R) - Played over half his career in the Negro Leagues.

P - Fergie Jenkins (R) - Played a couple years with the Harlem Globetrotters.

LF/1B - Ralph Kiner (R) - when he came up the Cubs moved Hank Sauer to RF. Sauer complained his arm wasn't strong enough to play the position, the coach responded, "Yes, it isn't, but it's still better than Kiners."

P - Bob Lemon (R) - was Ronald Reagan's stunt double in the film biography of Pete Alexander.

1b - Willie McCovey (L) - played some OF too.

P - Herb Pennock (L) - lefty who was tough on righties.

P - Robin Roberts (R) - exceptionally smart player, who had very few interests to apply his intellect.

OF - Frank Robinson (R) - overshadowed by contemporary OFers - Mays and Aaron.

2b - Jackie Robinson (R) - as good as he was, he missed several prime years playing in the Negro Leagues.

Of - Enos Slaughter (R) - tough player who loved the game.

1b - Willie Stargell (L) - Pops.

P - Don Sutton (R) - consistently good pitcher.

SS - Arky Vaughan (L) - was on pace to have 3000 hits when he quit baseball because of Leo Durocher in '43 - returned in '47 as a part time player.

Of - Hack Wilson (R)
- drank like Ruth and Foxx and for a few years, hit like them too.

P - Early Wynn (R) - it was said he would knock down his mother if she crowded the plate, to which he responded, "Why shouldn't I? My mother is a damn good hitter."

Last edited by Breeze : 10-04-2005 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #131
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

SPRING TRAINING - GAME 1

Code:
Left Outers..... 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 2 7 1 FOFC All Stars...... 0 0 1 3 0 0 0 3 - 7 5 2

Code:
Left Outers AB R H RBI AVG All Stars AB R H RBI AVG J.Robinson 2B 5 0 0 0 .000 A.Tucker CF 3 1 0 0 .000 M.Cochrane C 4 1 1 0 .250 J.Nights SS 4 1 1 1 .250 H.Heilmann RF 4 0 1 1 .250 D.Palmer 3B 3 0 0 0 .000 J.Foxx 3B 4 0 1 0 .250 K.Ton LF 4 1 1 0 .250 W.Stargell LF 4 1 3 1 .750 J.Kronside P 0 0 0 0 ---- D.Snider CF 4 0 0 0 .000 D.Gonzalez 1B 3 1 0 0 .000 W.McCovey 1B 2 0 1 0 .500 E-J.Potpie PH,1B 1 0 1 21.000 H.Pennock P 0 0 0 0 ---- S.Gunner RF 3 1 1 3 .333 L.Boudreau SS 3 0 0 0 .000 F-P.Pflaggstettler PH 1 0 0 0 .000 D.Sutton P 1 0 0 0 .000 B.Bullock C 2 1 1 1 .500 B-G.Goslin PH 1 0 0 0 .000 B.Babson P 0 0 0 0 ---- B.Lemon P 0 0 0 0 ---- C-D.Fouts PH 1 0 0 0 .000 D-R.Kiner 1B 1 0 0 0 .000 J.Rodney P 0 0 0 0 ---- G-G.Gazelle LF 0 0 0 0 ---- S.Treacy 2B 3 0 0 0 .000 O.Hunter P 1 0 0 0 .000 A-H.Hays C 1 1 0 0 .000 -- -- -- --- -- -- -- --- Totals 33 2 7 2 Totals 30 7 5 7

Code:
A-Subbed Defensively (C ) For Hunter In 5th Inning B-Pinch Hit For Sutton In 6th Inning C-Pinch Hit For Babson In 7th Inning D-Subbed Defensively (1B) For Lemon In 8th Inning E-Pinch Hit For Gonzalez In 8th Inning F-Pinch Hit For Gunner In 8th Inning G-Subbed Defensively (LF) For Rodney In 9th Inning

Code:
Left Outers IP H R ER BB SO HR PC ERA D.Sutton LOSS(0-1) 5 3 4 1 0 6 2 66 1.80 B.Lemon 2 1/3 0 2 2 2 2 0 37 7.71 H.Pennock 0 2/3 2 1 1 1 2 0 14 13.50 Totals 8 5 7 4 3 10 2 All Stars IP H R ER BB SO HR PC ERA O.Hunter 4 5 2 2 1 4 1 67 4.50 B.Babson WIN(1-0) 3 1 0 0 1 1 0 45 0.00 J.Rodney HOLD(1st) 1 1 0 0 0 2 0 16 0.00 J.Kronside 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 9 0.00 Totals 9 7 2 2 2 7 1

Code:
LEFT ON BASE- Left Outers: 8 All Stars: 2 DOUBLE PLAYS- Left Outers: 0 All Stars: 0 ERRORS- M.Cochrane, B.Babson, J.Rodney DOUBLES- J.Foxx(1st), W.Stargell(1st), J.Nights(1st), K.Ton(1st) TRIPLES- W.McCovey(1st) HOME RUNS- W.Stargell(1st), S.Gunner(1st), B.Bullock(1st) STOLEN BASES- M.Cochrane(1st) SACRIFICE HITS- D.Sutton WALKS- W.McCovey, L.Boudreau, A.Tucker, D.Palmer, H.Hays HIT BY PITCH- W.McCovey STRIKE OUTS- J.Foxx-3, D.Snider-4, A.Tucker, D.Palmer, K.Ton-3, D.Gonzalez, S.Gunner, P.Pflaggstettler, S.Treacy, O.Hunter

Last edited by Breeze : 10-04-2005 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:17 PM   #132
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

GAME 1 RECAP

I'm staring at the box score from the first game expecting there to be some sort of answer to my question - which I'm not even sure that the question is at this point...

"What did I learn today?" I guess that question is as good as any. Let's see...

- Hunter looked good, not great, but good. Too many baserunners for my liking especially against a team that probably isn't going to compete for the division.

- Babson looked extremely good - only 2 baserunners in 3 innings, and he got Goslin to fly out in a clutch spot with bases loaded and 2 outs in the 6th. He didn't let his own error on the Boudreau roller, that loaded the bases affect him.

- Rodney and Kronside were throwing gas tonight.

- The power I expected us to have showed up and Gunner's 3 runs shot was a big one, giving us the lead in the 4th.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:23 PM   #133
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

The National Herald

SPORTS

FOFC All Stars Win First Game Ever

The inaugural game for the expansion FOFC All Stars went well. They had very little trouble at the ballpark downing the Left Outs Left Outers. The score was 7 to 2.

FOFC took the lead for good in the 4th inning as they scored 3 runs on 2 base
hits. The key offensive moment was provided by Stan Gunner who electrified the ballpark when he smacked a three-run homer (his 1st of the season). FOFC had only 5 hits for the game.

Brian Babson(1-0) allowed no runs in 3 innings, and picked up the victory. Don Sutton(0-1) suffered the loss. He allowed just 4 runs and 3 hits in 5 innings.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:33 PM   #134
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Booyah FOFC!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:17 PM   #135
StanGunner
Mascot

I like ducks on the pond!
StanGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:09 PM   #136
Blade
College Prospect

Good job!

Hopefully Blade can do well once he plays!

Old 10-03-2005, 11:53 PM   #137
Travis
Pro Rookie

whooooooooooo!
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:23 AM   #138
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Damn Hunter....Not the best way to impress the Manager
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:22 AM   #139
Ragone
Pro Rookie

As we all know.. the caribbean all stars are a bunch of mindless zombies.. who hack away at garbage

Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:02 AM   #140
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I get to work early the day after our first game. I wasn't sleeping well anyway - too excited about the teams performance I guess. I start looking over the roster, trying to determine how I'm going to work the lineup today, when I hear a surprising knock on my door. 3rd base coach Dick Howser is standing their.

"Can I come in," he asks?

"Anytime Dick, no need to even knock. Take a seat. What's on your mind?"

"Well to start with, who were the 3 guys I haven't seen before?"

"Oh yeah, sorry about that. Let's see...Billy Bullock is the catcher, and from what I read in the scouting report he is big, strong, and tough, but not fast or athletic. He has a great arm, but isn't quick enough to block pitches that are away from his body, so he has some problems with pass balls and wild pitches. He's also fearless behind the plate, according to this scout, he might be the best ever at blocking the plate."

"Better than Bench," Howser asks?

"That's what this guy says."

"Impressive. You know when he walked into the club house he scared the stuffing out of one of the bat boys," Howser chuckled.

I laugh, "I can see that. He's a rough looking customer. Shoot, first time I saw him, he startled me too."

"OK, the little shortstop is Chris Terp. Handles a bat well, so we'll be able to bunt and hit and run, plus he can swipe a few bases and he's capable of taking an extra base on hits."

"The third guy is Dan Fouts."

Howser interrupts, "Like the quarterback?"

"Yeah, apparently the parents were big fans."

"OK, go on."

"He's a switch hitter, with power from both sides. He's a tough gamer, who isn't the most fluid fielder in the world, but he's above average and he's willing to sacrafice his body to keep the ball in front of him."

"That's about all you can ask," Howser says with a nod.
"So we have a double header today, any ideas how you are going to run it?"

"I was thinking about that. I thought about spliting the squad and letting the starters play the full game."

"Can't," Howser replys with a sly grin, "You've only got 5 outfielders."

"OK, I was thinking about splitting the squad, with the exception of one of the outfielders and letting the regulars play the whole game."

"I wouldn't worry about it if I were you," Howser advises. "It's early, this isn't a double header in the dog days where guys need to rest. Now I would make sure that you get everyone an extensive amount of playing time, but I wouldnt' hamstring myself with regards to double switching and substituting."

"Good point," I admit. "I knew I brought you along for something other than waving guys home."

"What about pitching," he queries.

"Williams will start the first game."

"Still rewarding early arrivers?"

"Sure," I answer with a nod. "Might as well, everyone is going to pitch and I'll have time to adjust the rotation before the season. Plus this is a good match up for Williams. We are going against the 1st Negro League team, and they are a heavy left handed hitting club."

I continue, "I think I'll follow Williams up with Fozberg."

"And the second game?" Howser asks, and as I look at him I can see the wheels turning in his head.

"I'll start Nielsen, and follow him up with Rodney."

"When are you going to let Mighty pitch," came a voice from the doorway? I look up to see Sal Maglie the pitching coach." Sal's a little rough for my liking, but when you have this many hard throwers it's good to teach them to use that power to their advantage by pitching inside, and you don't get the nickname "The Barber" by nibbling the outside corner.

"Hey Sal. I have him scheduled to pitch in game 4. He probably won't start - I'm thinking of giving that start to Babson."

"Fine, just checking because Mighty has looked Migh..." he stops and smirks "He's look impressive in workouts."

"Thanks for the input, I'll keep that in mind," I reply. "Hey guys let's go get some breakfast. I'm hungry."

Last edited by Breeze : 10-04-2005 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:11 AM   #141
Johnny93g
College Starter

woot!!!! im getting a shot...thanks coach...
TML
Old 10-04-2005, 09:48 AM   #142
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Alright. Time to shut down some of the game's legends..
Old 10-04-2005, 09:56 AM   #143
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

No one shall get on base with me at the helm
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #144
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

SPRING GAME 2

Code:
FOFC All Stars....... 0 0 4 1 0 0 0 0 0 - 5 9 1 Negro League 1 .... 1 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 - 4 8 0

Code:
FOFC All Stars AB R H RBI AVG Negro League 1 AB R H RBI AVG B.Blade 2B 4 1 1 0 .250 C.Bell CF 4 1 1 0 .222 C.Terp SS 5 1 2 1 .400 R.Dandridge 3B 4 0 0 0 .000 K.Ton LF 0 1 0 0 .250 O.Charleston LF 4 1 2 0 .250 F-H.Hays C 1 0 0 0 .000 J.Gibson C 4 1 2 1 .500 D.Gonzalez 1B 2 0 0 1 .000 W.Wells SS 4 1 1 2 .500 C-J.Potpie PH,1B 2 0 0 0 .333 M.Suttles 1B 3 0 0 0 .000 D.Fouts 3B 3 0 0 1 .000 C.Torriente RF 4 0 2 0 .500 G.Gazelle CF 2 0 0 0 .000 M.Dihigo 2B 4 0 0 0 .222 P.Pflaggstettler RF 3 1 1 0 .250 B.Rogan P 0 0 0 0 ---- S.Fozborg P 0 0 0 0 ---- H.Smith P 1 0 0 0 .000 E-A.Tucker PH,LF 1 0 1 0 .250 R.Foster P 0 0 0 0 ---- B.Bullock C 4 1 3 1 .667 B-J.Gardner PH 1 0 0 0 .000 S.Knowles P 0 0 0 0 ---- B.Foster P 0 0 0 0 ---- J.Williams P 1 0 1 01.000 D-B.Leonard PH 0 0 0 0 .600 A-S.Gunner RF 2 0 0 0 .200 D.Barnhill P 0 0 0 0 ---- -- -- -- --- -- -- -- --- Totals 30 5 9 4 Totals 33 4 8 3

Code:
A-Subbed Defensively (RF) For Williams In 5th Inning B-Pinch Hit For Foster In 5th Inning C-Pinch Hit For Gonzalez In 7th Inning D-Pinch Hit For Foster In 7th Inning E-Pinch Hit For Fozborg In 8th Inning F-Subbed Defensively (C ) For Ton In 8th Inning INJURY: Bullet Joe Rogan INJURED (for 0 more games) in 1st inning

Code:
FOFC All Stars IP H R ER BB SO HR PC ERA J.Williams 4 5 1 1 0 0 0 63 2.25 S.Fozborg 3 2 3 1 2 2 0 39 3.00 S.Knowles WIN(1-0) 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 19 0.00 Totals 9 8 4 2 2 2 0 Negro League 1 IP H R ER BB SO HR PC ERA B.Rogan 0 1/3 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0.00 H.Smith LOSS(0-1) 2 4 4 4 2 1 1 46 18.00 R.Foster 2 2/3 3 1 1 3 1 0 32 3.37 B.Foster 2 1 0 0 1 0 0 23 0.00 D.Barnhill 2 1 0 0 1 1 0 28 0.00 Totals 9 9 5 5 7 3 1

Code:
LEFT ON BASE- All Stars: 8 Alltime Players: 4 DOUBLE PLAYS- All Stars: 2 Alltime Players: 2 ERRORS- D.Fouts DOUBLES- C.Bell(2nd), J.Gibson(1st) TRIPLES- W.Wells(1st), C.Torriente(1st) HOME RUNS- B.Bullock(2nd) STOLEN BASES- G.Gazelle(1st) CAUGHT STEALING- O.Charleston SACRIFICE HITS- J.Williams SACRIFICE FLIES- D.Fouts WALKS- B.Blade, K.Ton-3, D.Gonzalez, G.Gazelle-2, M.Suttles, B.Leonard HIT BY PITCH- K.Ton STRIKE OUTS- D.Gonzalez, G.Gazelle, S.Gunner, R.Dandridge, J.Gardner GIDP- P.Pflaggstettler, S.Gunner, C.Bell, C.Torriente BALKS- J.Williams WILD PITCHES- R.Foster

Last edited by Breeze : 10-04-2005 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #145
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

This isn't a bad start to the FOFC campaign. Hopefully this will carry over into the regular season. Good to see Babson off to a good start as well.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:15 AM   #146
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

GAME 2 RECAP

Well we played another good game today. Williams was able to keep the Negro Leaguers off balance and he didn't issue any free passes. Fozborg only gave up 1 earned run, but the 6th inning was problematic. After Fouts' error allowed the leadoff hitter Charleston to reach base, Fozborg gave up a double, triple and walk in order before settling down to get a double play and foul out to end the inning.

Harry Hays made a huge defensive play in the 8th. Right after he was put in, Charleston singled to lead off the inning. Only trailing by 1 run he attempted to steal second and get into scoring position, but Hays gunned him down. Bullock hit his second homer in as many games, and he had 3 hits - so he's looking good too. Terp managed to get 2 hits as well. Sammy Knowles was almost unhittable in his 2 innings of work.

Last edited by Breeze : 10-04-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:08 PM   #147
JeeberD
General Manager

Gonzalez stinks, give Potpie the start!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:17 PM   #148
Johnny93g
College Starter

Wow, that pitcher Williams, looks like an ace
TML
Old 10-04-2005, 12:28 PM   #149
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I congratulate the guys on a nice game, as they walk into the club house to cool off before game 2. I retire to my office where I begin pencilling in the line up:

CF - Tucker
SS - Nights
3B - Palmer
1B - Potpie
LF - Gazelle
RF - Pflaggstettler
C - Hays
2B - Treacy
P - Nielsen

"So that's what you're going with tonight?" Howser asks from behind me.

"Whoa, I jump. You startled me I didn't hear you come in."

"Sorry,"

"No problem, just frieghtened me that's all. Yeah, that's my idea so far, but to be honest I'm planning for Gunner to get in this game about half way through too."

"Good idea. He's about the only one that could complain, seeing that he didn't start in either of these games." Howser explains.

"I know, but he did get 2 at bats in the one we just finished, and 3 in the game last night. He'll have about 7 total after this one, which will be just about where all the other OFers are."
Old 10-04-2005, 06:27 PM   #150
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

W00t, a great show in my first outing!

One minor thing, can you change the spelling of my name to Kris Terp (if not, no big)?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote