General Manager

TBCB release date set

December 8th

TBCB Release Date Announcement

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 09:56 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

to echo the words of someone in that thread..

"I'll believe it when I see it"
Old 11-30-2003, 09:57 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

This is the first time they actually set a date...the rest were just guesses by Trunzo.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:10 PM   #4
maximus
Banned

Can't wait! Thanks for the update.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:16 PM   #5
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

I'll be there next Monday that is for certain.
FloridaFringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:25 PM   #6
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Wasn't this supposed to originally come out a year ago?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 12:00 AM   #7
SlapBone
High School JV

Quote:
The game will be available for purchase and immediate download a week from this Monday and will be loaded with features that, while hinted at and discussed, can only truly be appreciated upon use.

This means nobody bitchin about what got cut and what wasn't put in in the first place.

Last edited by SlapBone : 12-01-2003 at 12:00 AM.
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:49 AM   #8
Bee
Pro Starter

Without a true career play option, I just can't get interested in this game with so many other great games out right now.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:25 AM   #9
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

these acronyms drive me nuts, I never know what game someone is talking about heh.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:45 AM   #10
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Linking to this in the sticky. Someone tell me when the game is out so I can update it.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:08 AM   #11
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Without a true career play option, I just can't get interested in this game with so many other great games out right now.

Exactly my thoughts as i posted at their forum. I haven't any interest on replay old fights, what i want is to get an young guy and coach him to be the top boxer. I visited their forum until they answered me that i hasn't career play, then i totaly lost all the interest on that game.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:24 AM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, if there's no career play - what exactly do you do with this game? Do you just set up historic fights between somebody's sets of numbers that they think represent great fighters, and see who wins? Do you bet? Do you run a "league" for the historic fighters?

I don't get it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:34 AM   #13
spleen1015
Coordinator

I see it as nothing more than giving you the ability to have Tyson fight Ali.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:44 AM   #14
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
So, if there's no career play - what exactly do you do with this game? Do you just set up historic fights between somebody's sets of numbers that they think represent great fighters, and see who wins? Do you bet? Do you run a "league" for the historic fighters?

I don't get it.

Basically what you said. It's a game that lets you fight historic fighters from different points in their careers against each other. So, for example, you can see how a young Mike Tyson could have done against an aging Muhammad Ali (based on the sets of numbers that the developers feel represent those fighters at that point in their careers).

Some people set up "leagues", but much of the information (such as aging, fighting strategy, etc) has to be handled manually. The game does keep track of some things (records, championship belts, etc), but seems to be missing the key ingredient for this type of game IMO (actual career play).
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:58 AM   #15
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand

I don't get it.

Again my thoughts, as they will release it, it's just for boxing fans not for text sims fans. They can play "what if.." scenarios like setting a fight betwen some historic fighters but changing the shape of one of them or things like that. You can even manage both fighters during the combat (what isn't anything i would like to win against myself). It's realy complete for that, with tons of options like choosing the cutman, etc. But for text sims lovers like us, there isn't anything we are looking for, as the boxers doesn't improve, etc, they are just stats. It's really like the old card stats games, and for that i haven't any doubt that will be great, but not for me.

Old 12-01-2003, 09:05 AM   #16
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

According to Jim Trunzo the game will have at least 25% of the role-playing characteristics that they wanted to incorporate into this version. If anyone thinks that it will be very difficult to run a stable with career type play I would invite them to read some of the excellent dynasty reports as well as visit some fan sites for TF2001. There will be several third party add-ons that will make this type of play all that much easier.

It reminds me of OOTP Baseball, where it only had a few role-playing features to start and despite having a quality set now, it still lacks in certain areas. For example, to compute which coaches retire or get fired from other teams the user would have to do the work manually.

Point is that there should be more capability in running a role-playing career with this version than most people give credit for. There should be a demo so everyone can see for themselves if it is something that they can handle.

Last edited by FloridaFringe : 12-01-2003 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:14 AM   #17
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

Two corrections from points stated above:

1. Fight Strategies can be chosen for one boxer prior to a match while allowing the computer to handle the other boxer. Once the fight begins the computer will adjust strategies according to how the fight is going. If you are controlling one of the boxer than you will also have the ability to adjust your strategies.

2. The stats and ratings for each boxer will adjust according to training and the outcome of their fights. Therefore, the boxers do change in positive and negative ways throughout the sim.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:56 AM   #18
Icy
Pro Starter

Of course will try the demo, i have been looking for a good boxing sim since lots of time ago, played the WCBM or something like that, but was not deep enought. The first time i heard about TBCB i thought is was gonig to be the perfect bosing sim, without career play i lost my interest but mybe you're right and usnig external tools it will be playable as career sim. Lets see.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:29 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I guess I'm solidly in the "wait & see" camp on this one.

I'm not so much interested in career mode in terms of "create a new fighter & then manage his individual career" as I am interested in "universe mode" -- something where I can have competitors face each other over a period of time, with rankings, title fights, etc., all determined by the results of the given bouts (or user override if desired).

What's problematic for me is that have stable boxer ratings/characteristics (i.e. fighters don't improve/decline) makes extended play a bit tiresome after a while.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not into managing one fighter/stable, I want an entire universe to develop where I can interact as much or little as I see fit.

Whether TBCB will be for me, or how close it comes to what would interest me most, is pretty much going to be a wait & see thing I expect.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:14 PM   #20
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm not so much interested in career mode in terms of "create a new fighter & then manage his individual career" as I am interested in "universe mode" -- something where I can have competitors face each other over a period of time, with rankings, title fights, etc., all determined by the results of the given bouts (or user override if desired).

This is completely possible.

What's problematic for me is that have stable boxer ratings/characteristics (i.e. fighters don't improve/decline) makes extended play a bit tiresome after a while.

This is not a problem since the ratings and characteristics of each boxer are not static. The boxers grow over time dependant on training, managers & fight outcomes. The notion that the boxers don’t improve or decline over time is one of the biggest falsehoods that has followed the development of TBCB.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not into managing one fighter/stable, I want an entire universe to develop where I can interact as much or little as I see fit.

Bingo. This is exactly how the sim will work if that is how you want it to as setup through the game options.

Last edited by FloridaFringe : 12-01-2003 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:07 PM   #21
sabotai
General Manager

What is TBCB? Yes, I'll admit that it is a glorified replay sim. It's not a career sim. At least, this version is not. But for me, I had a ton of fun playing the previous two versions.

It's not just a replay sim. One of the dynasties I'm doing (maybe the only one for this game that I'll post) is recreating history. That's one way to play it. But with the ability to create your own fighters, to have rankings, keep track of champions, manage fighters during the fight, etc. etc., it would be very easy to create your own universe and just "pretend" to have a stable of fighters you control and let the auto-scheduler handle the other fighters.

Anyway, I've been around the series for awhile, so I know how to play the game to make it really fun for me. I can see where other people would be turned off by no concrete manager role-playing system. We'll have to see how the game plays to see how difficult it would be to do such things on your own.