Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #101
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post
Greg, would it be possible (ie. easy) in Draft Analyzer for you to add a third WR group in the combine weights screen for slot receivers? Having only FL and SE in there limits the results and I'd like to be able to target some slot guys easier.

What do u consider slot WRs Garion? I am really interested in knowing. Thanks in advance.
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #102
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post
What do u consider slot WRs Garion? I am really interested in knowing. Thanks in advance.

RR + Courage, generally. AD is certainly useful as is GD.

It's not a position I care one whiff about BPR.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #103
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
RR + Courage, generally. AD is certainly useful as is GD.

It's not a position I care one whiff about BPR.

Did you have good production out of this kind of pass catchers? I guess you use them in short slants, Post Routes and 3rd down situations? (If they have 3rd down catch bar)
Old 09-26-2017, 07:21 AM   #104
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post
Did you have good production out of this kind of pass catchers? I guess you use them in short slants, Post Routes and 3rd down situations? (If they have 3rd down catch bar)

They'll never blow up the scoreboard like a stud WR, but you get more positives than negatives: http://gml.fof-belco.com/playercard.php?playerid=30023

I think a 50 rated TE is more important than a 50 rated slot WR as the TE presents more of a mismatch, generally.

However, as 113 is used so frequently I think it's important to have someone in the slot position that's going to better use the slot routes. Hence why I was hoping we could get another WR slot in Draft Analyzer.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #105
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

I would suggest just using FL for slot types and SE for true wideouts, or you know just not rely so much on the tool.
Ushikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #106
Swiso
n00b

A little explanation about DraftAnalyzer tool.

Sorry guys for asking this, maybe was already discussed at long...I searched on the forum and literally dozens of post came out regarding DraftAnalyzer...but not found what I am looking for.

I am in Free Agency stage 1 and I looked at the Draft preview screen...
Since I need a couple of Tackles in the upcoming draft, I was looking at these two in particular:
1.JPG
Same player in Draft Analyzer it look like this :
2.JPG
Second Tackle :
3.JPG
Same player in draft Analyzer:
4.JPG
These are the settings of the Edit Combine Weights :
5.JPG

My questions...
The white bars in the Run Blocking, Pass Blocking, Blocking Strenght, Endurance, are basically the estimated results of the scouting, or the results of the Edight Combine Werights, or what ? how I should interpret that bars ?
I am right to assume that the difference between the blu bars and the orange bars ( since one was interviewd and the other no) are not as good an indicator of the "real" abilities" of those players AS the white bars ?
How would you look at those two players ?

I guess the white bar are the result of the settings I put on the Edit Combine Weights... if I stress BJ and BP I will have results of players that should have higher white bars there ?

Another question....the dark green colored bars in DraftAnalyzer...are the most important attributes for each position ?
What are the "lines" connecting two attributes "togheter" ?

Which one of the two player would draft ?
I dont play MP games...so feel free to give me your toughts !

Thanks and sorry for this long post....I am just trying to understand how to utilize this app and all the data available, to draft better.

Last edited by Swiso : 09-26-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Swiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #107
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiso View Post
My questions...
The white bars in the Run Blocking, Pass Blocking, Blocking Strenght, Endurance, are basically the estimated results of the scouting, or the results of the Edight Combine Werights, or what ? how I should interpret that bars ?
I am right to assume that the difference between the blu bars and the orange bars ( since one was interviewd and the other no) are not as good an indicator of the "real" abilities" of those players AS the white bars ?
How would you look at those two players ? The white lines indicate roughly where the combine scores indicate the bar should/could be. If you see someone's Blocking Strength way above this white line it's a good sign. If it's way below, it's a bad sign and chances are they're a bust.

I guess the white bar are the result of the settings I put on the Edit Combine Weights... if I stress BJ and BP I will have results of players that should have higher white bars there ? No, all weights do is give you a different score and ranking within Draft Analyzer. You don't see any changes in the bars.

Another question....the dark green colored bars in DraftAnalyzer...are the most important attributes for each position ? This is a "static" bar. These bars don't move much after Training Camp or Exhibition Stage 2.
What are the "lines" connecting two attributes "togheter" ? This used to apply to masked pairs. I believe they're something that can be ignored now.

Which one of the two player would draft ? The first by a long mile.

I can go into more detail if my answers aren't clear enough.

Last edited by garion333 : 09-27-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #108
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushikawa View Post
I would suggest just using FL for slot types and SE for true wideouts

Currently I'm using FL and SE for two different types of receivers, though they're clearly very similar. One is bigger overall and the other is more of a BPR monster.

It's still easy to find what I'm looking for since all WR positions benefit from RR so much, but was hoping we'd be able to get another WR weighted slot is all.

Quote:
or you know just not rely so much on the tool

Thanks, Chris Johns.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #109
Swiso
n00b

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiso
My questions...
How would you look at those two players ? The white lines indicate roughly where the combine scores indicate the bar should/could be. If you see someone's Blocking Strength way above this white line it's a good sign. If it's way below, it's a bad sign and chances are they're a bust.

Thanks, thats clear now.

I guess the white bar are the result of the settings I put on the Edit Combine Weights... if I stress BJ and BP I will have results of players that should have higher white bars there ? No, all weights do is give you a different score and ranking within Draft Analyzer. You don't see any changes in the bars.

I got it, so basically it is useful to set my on ranking on players, regardless of the grade assigned in the Draft screen...I can set my "player ranking" list...based on the attributes I value most, right ?

Another question....the dark green colored bars in DraftAnalyzer...are the most important attributes for each position ? This is a "static" bar. These bars don't move much after Training Camp or Exhibition Stage 2.

That mean that even after training camp these bars will remain more or less at the same value ? Are the ones that change less or nothing at all...
Its just an indication that these attribute will not change much or at all...

What are the "lines" connecting two attributes "togheter" ? This used to apply to masked pairs. I believe they're something that can be ignored now.

Which one of the two player would draft ? The first by a long mile.

Thanks a lot !!
Old 09-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #110
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
I got it, so basically it is useful to set my on ranking on players, regardless of the grade assigned in the Draft screen...I can set my "player ranking" list...based on the attributes I value most, right ?

Yes, exactly, though I would counsel you to not go too far off what the default values are. Incremental changes are generally best because you can royally screw yourself up with some major changes. I ended up with all TE's basically being super far down the list because I wanted them to all be tall. That was stupid as I missed out on super talented, but shorter TEs who vastly outperformed the taller, mediocre TEs.

Quote:
That mean that even after training camp these bars will remain more or less at the same value ? Are the ones that change less or nothing at all...
Its just an indication that these attribute will not change much or at all...

Yes, statics will generally not change much at all. There's a possibility they don't actually change, but your scouting changes on the player.

Anyway, classic FOF drafting style is to go after players with high static bars because they're an indication that the player is as good as they look (if they look studly elsewhere) or that they could boom (if the rest of the bars aren't quite as hot). A decade ago you could guarantee a stud WR pretty much by taking a WR with a max BPR bar. That's no longer the case as sometimes the game spits out WRs with a max BPR and he turns out to be junk.

Still, high statics are a good indicator that what you're seeing elsewhere is either true or the player could develop to be better. Personally I don't live and die by statics, but if all else is the same between two players, I'll take the guy with the higher static bars. The higher the better!
Old 09-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #111
Squirrel
Mascot

Big up to garion for being helpful to someone in a discussion like this
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #112
Swiso
n00b

Thank you very much garion333
Very very helpful !
Thanks
Old 09-28-2017, 06:22 PM   #113
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Currently I'm using FL and SE for two different types of receivers, though they're clearly very similar. One is bigger overall and the other is more of a BPR monster.

It's still easy to find what I'm looking for since all WR positions benefit from RR so much, but was hoping we'd be able to get another WR weighted slot is all.

Thanks, Chris Johns.

Just to be clear, is that Chris Johns the photographer and former editor of NatGeo or the author of the Gay Billionaire series?

In either case, they both seem to value tools quite a bit.
Ushikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:26 AM   #114
tzach
High School JV

Yep, listen to what garion has to say.

My advice for anyone new to the game, or who wants to improve -- do a search here for all posts from garion33, Ben E Lou, Quiksand, squirrel, corbes, cuervo72, MalcPow, Sef0r, gstelmack, and I'm sure i'm missing some people.
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #115
Iorwerth
n00b

I seem to have a problem with the draft analyzer (ver 8.1.5.0). It worked in my last season (the first season I tried it), but this season, after I export scouting data and then fire up the program and go to load league draftees it comes up with an error saying 'Player Ids do not match up'. I presume I am doing something wrong, but can't figure out what. Any help would be much appreciated!
Iorwerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:02 PM   #116
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Make sure you've done both steps: export data AND export scouting data
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:30 AM   #117
Iorwerth
n00b

Thank you. I feel a bit of an idiot for not trying that!

Out of interest, what is a good split for the bars and combine? Default is 100/10. Is that a good split or should I alter it to make the relative weights closer, so that the combine score comes out around the same levels as the bars when it works out the total rating? e.g. something like 100/40

Last edited by Iorwerth : 10-03-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #118
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iorwerth View Post
Out of interest, what is a good split for the bars and combine? Default is 100/10. Is that a good split or should I alter it to make the relative weights closer, so that the combine score comes out around the same levels as the bars when it works out the total rating? e.g. something like 100/40

Default is fine if you're using the vanilla Combine Correlation setting which is 50.

If you set Combine Correlation to 0 there is basically no correlation between the combine scores and the bars you see. In that case you'd want something like 100/1 in DA.

If you set Combine Correlation to 100 then you're going to be super heavy on combine scores. In this case you'd do something like 10/100 in DA.

Honestly I'd leave it at 50 since that's what most leagues are on and the game is generally balanced around. So, go with what DA has for default.

Last edited by garion333 : 10-03-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #119
Iorwerth
n00b

Not sure what the Combine Correlation setting is. Is that attribute calc setting, which can be min, average or max? Is min 0, average 50 and max 100?

If that is correct, presume that is bars set to 100, combine to 10 and Attribute calc to average?

By the way, thanks for answering my query.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #120
Swiso
n00b

Quick question...What it mean the (Ft) in this picture ?
1.JPG

Maybe the height of the player ?
Old 10-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #121
SweenDawg72
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiso View Post
Quick question...What it mean the (Ft) in this picture ?
Attachment 6244

Maybe the height of the player ?

It is telling you that his combine score while running the 40-yard dash is the primary factor when looking at this attribute.
SweenDawg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #122
Swiso
n00b

So Ft is the 40 dash time then.
Thank you very much.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #123
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

What the "att" stands for in the Draft Analizer?
Old 10-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #124
tzach
High School JV

I've always seen 'att' as 'attributes', and an estimate of the final ratings of the player.
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #125
Born2Run1963
n00b

Any idea what might cause Player Tracker to stop working for ONE specific league, while working for all others? I use this with 3 different leagues and, until a couple of months ago it worked fine for all. Now it works fine for two, but for the other, in the middle of the last pre-season it suddenly started closing down when I try to load that league:

https://imgur.com/a/Yjsqk

I've tried wiping the player data files and re-importing, but still get this error. Presuming it has to do with the way an unexpected character in a player profile, but don't know where to look for that.

Last edited by Born2Run1963 : 10-09-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Born2Run1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:30 AM   #126
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzach View Post
I've always seen 'att' as 'attributes', and an estimate of the final ratings of the player.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #127
Autumn
Head Coach

I'm finding that Draft Analyzer is weighting negative combines dramatically. As in, the best combine scores give a player 8 or 9 towards his rating (I've got combine weights turned way down) but those with negative combine scores start at -98 and go up from there. What am I doing wrong? Even if I turn combine weight back up to 10, the positives go into the 20s but hte negatives still start at -80. I'm just ignoring combines to prevent this, but it seems i must have fiddled with something I should not have.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #128
Born2Run1963
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I'm finding that Draft Analyzer is weighting negative combines dramatically. As in, the best combine scores give a player 8 or 9 towards his rating (I've got combine weights turned way down) but those with negative combine scores start at -98 and go up from there. What am I doing wrong? Even if I turn combine weight back up to 10, the positives go into the 20s but hte negatives still start at -80. I'm just ignoring combines to prevent this, but it seems i must have fiddled with something I should not have.

You can adjust the negative rating level. It's the Combine Threshold Penalty. It defaults at -100. With FOF8 I put it at -1 so they still show up in red to flag them, but don't drop a guy a hundred spots for having one negative rating.
Born2Run1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #129
Autumn
Head Coach

Ah! Okay, thank you!
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:58 AM   #130
garion333
High School Varsity

I leave it at -5 so it moves people a little down, but not too far. -100 is way, way too strong imho because the thresholds aren't as firm as they were back in 2k7, FOF7, etc. You had someone below a threshold in those versions they were 99.9% likely to bust, barring Volatility saving them. In FOF8, things are a bit more muddy.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #131
zbuckley
n00b

Does anyone know why my bars now look like this?

zbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #132
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuckley View Post

What is the combine correlation??
Old 11-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #133
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuckley View Post

Look like what? Looks ok to me.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #134
Shuggy101
n00b

Hey Guys

I have just found Draft analyzer, started using it with a new game. Is there any manual that has been made for it?

I am looking to find out what bars,comb,rate and draft all mean. Along with the Color bars that next to the stats.

Thanks

Shaun
Shuggy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #135
Firefly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuggy101 View Post
Hey Guys

I have just found Draft analyzer, started using it with a new game. Is there any manual that has been made for it?

I am looking to find out what bars,comb,rate and draft all mean. Along with the Color bars that next to the stats.

Thanks

Shaun

The info used to be in the first post before the new version came out. If you can find that thread, that would be your answer. To answer your specific question, bars is a rough estimate of the strength of the players bars, and comb a rough estimate of the strength of his combine numbers. You can alter how each of these are calculated in the edit -> edit weights screen. Draft is simply an arbitrary order of the players which will change if you assign a round to a player. For example, right click any player and assign a round and that player will become #1. Rate... I think I'd never even seen it before, but I'd guess it's a combination of bars and comb. The colors, light green is great, dark green is good, white is average, gray is bad, red and blue are terrible.
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:36 AM   #136
Shuggy101
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
The info used to be in the first post before the new version came out. If you can find that thread, that would be your answer. To answer your specific question, bars is a rough estimate of the strength of the players bars, and comb a rough estimate of the strength of his combine numbers. You can alter how each of these are calculated in the edit -> edit weights screen. Draft is simply an arbitrary order of the players which will change if you assign a round to a player. For example, right click any player and assign a round and that player will become #1. Rate... I think I'd never even seen it before, but I'd guess it's a combination of bars and comb. The colors, light green is great, dark green is good, white is average, gray is bad, red and blue are terrible.

Thanks man, I think I found the thread.

DraftAnalyzer7 - Front Office Football Central
Shuggy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #137
nickelback
n00b

Can't get my rookies to load into the Draft Analyzer. Keep getting an error message that it can't find the rookies.csv.
nickelback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #138
garion333
High School Varsity

Are you exporting both of these:

Old 01-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #139
user name
n00b

if a player has no combine scores, are his available scores (like sole or position drill) then weighted heavier into the "rate" column?

I am looking at a RB who skipped the combine with 26 Sole and the DA gives him 6.57 towards his combine score.

Then I also have a RB who went to the combine with 26 Sole and DA gives 3.10 towards his combine score.

Am I missing something simple here?
user name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #140
garion333
High School Varsity

Did you change these values:

Other than that, my guess is that DA is boosting what combine scores there are for No Combine players as a way to give them a higher Rating overall so they populate higher. This offsets the fact they don't get a "real" combine and tend to get lost in the Ratings.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #141
user name
n00b

Quote:
Did you change these values:

Other than that, my guess is that DA is boosting what combine scores there are for No Combine players as a way to give them a higher Rating overall so they populate higher. This offsets the fact they don't get a "real" combine and tend to get lost in the Ratings.

those values are at default still. thanks for the reply
user name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #142
BC Bob
n00b

After several years away from the game, I'm returning to FOF and will be buying FOF 8. I used to use GStelmack's utility, especially his Extractor, so that I could extract eligible draft players and do various manipulations of the data in Excel to decide who to draft. I don't see that the Extractor still exists. Am I without luck on that?
BC Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #143
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Bob View Post
After several years away from the game, I'm returning to FOF and will be buying FOF 8. I used to use GStelmack's utility, especially his Extractor, so that I could extract eligible draft players and do various manipulations of the data in Excel to decide who to draft. I don't see that the Extractor still exists. Am I without luck on that?
Extractor is no longer needed, because the game itself exports csvs with the necessary info.

Control-->Archives-->Export Data

and

Control-->Archives-->Export Scouting Data
Old 02-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #144
garion333
High School Varsity

I'm on Windows 10 Pro and after last week's update I now get a blank window from Player Tracker. It opens and sits there, white as can be, never crashing but never opening up all the way.

I've re-downloaded the Binaries but that didn't change anything.

I deleted all the ptdat files in the Documents/StelmackSoft/UtilitySuite/PlayerTracker folder. Nada.

Is there anything else I can do? I tried different compatibility modes but also nada.

I can't figure out where the hangup is.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #145
Dawgfan19
High School JV

Quote:
I'm on Windows 10 Pro and after last week's update I now get a blank window from Player Tracker. It opens and sits there, white as can be, never crashing but never opening up all the way.

I've re-downloaded the Binaries but that didn't change anything.

I deleted all the ptdat files in the Documents/StelmackSoft/UtilitySuite/PlayerTracker folder. Nada.

Is there anything else I can do? I tried different compatibility modes but also nada.

I can't figure out where the hangup is.

Perhaps try running as administrator??? FYI, I am running the same OS with no issues.
Dawgfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #146
garion333
High School Varsity

Thanks for the reply, but it's already set to run as administrator. Turning that on or off it doesn't change anything.

Last edited by garion333 : 02-01-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #147
garion333
High School Varsity

Whelp, must've been something on my end (as I assumed). I ended up rolling everything back and installing drivers for hardware and whatnot fresh and now Player Tracker works without any issues.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #148
Higgs44
n00b

DA.jpg

can anyone help with this?
Higgs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #149
Higgs44
n00b

NM... I got it.
Higgs44 is offline   Reply With Quote