Old 07-27-2023, 11:37 AM   #1051
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Ah. That makes sense. Thanks.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 01:03 PM   #1052
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Wow, some of the Hammarby IF fans are nutcases without respect. They kept screaming their club name all the way through a 1 minute silence tribute.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 08:34 PM   #1053
miami_fan
Coordinator

Argentina has not found its Maradona or Messi on the women's side.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 08:44 PM   #1054
miami_fan
Coordinator

And just like the comeback is complete.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-28-2023, 08:03 PM   #1055
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Scott Sterling (the man, the myth, the LEGEND) feels this guys pain. Instead of the headshots Sterling took in that video, these are real, but to the.. ahem.. OTHER head.

https://twitter.com/433/status/1683105070257254400
Old 08-01-2023, 04:04 AM   #1056
bhlloy
Coordinator

Spoilering this for those in the US who might want to wake up and watch the game in the morning, so don't click if that's you

Spoiler
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 04:52 AM   #1057
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Spoilering this for those in the US who might want to wake up and watch the game in the morning, so don't click if that's you

Spoiler

Spoiler
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:08 PM   #1058
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 02:37 PM   #1059
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think we can probably take it off spoiler now. I saw that ESPN ranked Lavelle a 4 and had Morgan rated a 6, I genuinely have no idea what game they watched. For me I totally agree with what Jim said, Lavelle was the only player on the US who would bring the ball up the field and do something with it, the rest of the team seemed to want to play far too direct and there was no creativity or composure at all.

It was a bit of a soft yellow but the US got away with quite a few other borderline yellows, thems the breaks I guess.

And yes, Naeher almost cost them the game twice in the last 20 minutes, firstly got very lucky there was no Portugese player in the 6 yard box when she fumbled at a dangerous cross and then completely missed the ball in stoppage time which could have gone straight in with a bit less luck. Definitely feels like a big drop off from seemingly ever WC in recent memory where they had a clear advantage over every other team in the world at the position.

Last edited by bhlloy : 08-01-2023 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:18 PM   #1060
miami_fan
Coordinator

I'll go ahead and defend Alex Morgan. I think she was fine outside of her finishing. She was able to do a pretty good job with her hold up play. She led the team in shots created and put in a shift on the defensive end. I am not sure who else on the squad would be better at playing that target forward role.

What's that? Say that again?

You mean we are not required to have a player in that spot on the field to only do that role?

We could put someone in to play that position in the lineup a little bit differently? Or we could have Morgan drop deep and force the defense to chase the wingers? We are allowed to make tactical changes like that?

Hmm, somebody might want to let Vlatko know. I am sure he can't wait to make changes now that IFAB is allowing coaches to do.

P.S. let's not let the other players up front off the hook. The rest of that front line has not looked that much better over the last two matches.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:27 PM   #1061
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Aside from being the USWNT goalkeeper the last few years, I don't know why Alyssa Naeher is starting. She's given up more goals then any other goalie in the NWSL this season (33 goals in 13 games with next highest being 23 in 15 games). I don't follow the Red Stars closely but from what I've read a lot of this is due to Chicago's poor defense but she's partially to blame as well. She hasn't looked look good at the World Cup. I don't understand why Murphy or Kingsburgy isn't starting given both have been much better in the NWSL this year.

Her heroics in penalty saves in 2019 is probably part of it. Also she gets a lot of endorsements for a goalie which seems to be what dictates playing time for this team.

They didn't deserve to advance. Both Netherlands and Portugal were better. Feel kind of bad that Portugal missed out of pulling an upset by a few inches. Especially now that the US is going to face Sweden and likely get trounced without Rose.

Last edited by RainMaker : 08-01-2023 at 04:27 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 04:50 PM   #1062
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I'll go ahead and defend Alex Morgan. I think she was fine outside of her finishing. She was able to do a pretty good job with her hold up play. She led the team in shots created and put in a shift on the defensive end. I am not sure who else on the squad would be better at playing that target forward role.

What's that? Say that again?

You mean we are not required to have a player in that spot on the field to only do that role?

We could put someone in to play that position in the lineup a little bit differently? Or we could have Morgan drop deep and force the defense to chase the wingers? We are allowed to make tactical changes like that?

Hmm, somebody might want to let Vlatko know. I am sure he can't wait to make changes now that IFAB is allowing coaches to do.

P.S. let's not let the other players up front off the hook. The rest of that front line has not looked that much better over the last two matches.

It does seem like Vlatko is just shoehorning players into his system instead of playing to the talent's strengths.

I guess Morgan is fine, but fine is not cutting it against this level of competition. She's not special anymore and unless you have a way to give her a ton of help, it's just not going to cut it. I'd probably give Rodman or someone else a shot at the position to see what they can do. Maybe some more athleticism will open things up.

Another weird thing about this team is they have either old, washed-up players or very young, inexperienced players. Not a lot of players in the middle like Lavelle. Have to wonder why Ashley Hatch and Sam Coffey didn't make the squad. They even seem to fit Vlatko's system.

I'd probably just let the young players sink or swim. Throw Thompson to the wolves and see if her freak athleticism can create something. Morgan gave it a shot but you're not beating Sweden or Japan with her. Dragging Rapinoe's corpse out seems like a bad move. Maybe some external factors don't allow that though.
Old 08-01-2023, 09:04 PM   #1063
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It does seem like Vlatko is just shoehorning players into his system instead of playing to the talent's strengths.

I guess Morgan is fine, but fine is not cutting it against this level of competition. She's not special anymore and unless you have a way to give her a ton of help, it's just not going to cut it. I'd probably give Rodman or someone else a shot at the position to see what they can do. Maybe some more athleticism will open things up.

Another weird thing about this team is they have either old, washed-up players or very young, inexperienced players. Not a lot of players in the middle like Lavelle. Have to wonder why Ashley Hatch and Sam Coffey didn't make the squad. They even seem to fit Vlatko's system.

I'd probably just let the young players sink or swim. Throw Thompson to the wolves and see if her freak athleticism can create something. Morgan gave it a shot but you're not beating Sweden or Japan with her. Dragging Rapinoe's corpse out seems like a bad move. Maybe some external factors don't allow that though.

I think Hatch was left off because Vlatko felt he could shift Smith, Rodman, or Williams to the 10 whenever Alex Morgan is subbed out whereas I guess he must not believe Hatch can play winger. I do feel bad for Hatch. She's been one of the best players in the NWSL the last few years, was left off this World Cup roster, and I think she was left off the 2021 Olympics roster too?

Coffey is more interesting. I wonder if the plan was to play Ertz at the 6 and maybe based on Cook's and Sonnett's camp play decided he didn't trust either one enough at the 2nd CB spot. It's hard to say whether or not she would be better then Sullivan though. I did read an article before the World Cup (forget where) that the responsibilities of the 6 for the USWNT and Portland are not the same and that Sullivan's skills might be better suited for what is asked of the 6 on the USWNT.

Last edited by Racer : 08-01-2023 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 09:51 PM   #1064
RainMaker
General Manager

Hatch is better than Morgan at this stage of their careers. She would have made a great sub for Morgan in the tournament.
Old 08-01-2023, 10:28 PM   #1065
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Neither Hatch nor Coffey have done it with the national team. The fact that Morgan is back shows the lack of confidence he has in them. It may still be a little early for Coffey but Hatch was on that first new core squad at the end of 2021. He dropped the likes of Morgan, Rapinoe, Dunn etc. from that squad. Hatch started both games and scored in both games. She has played in 15 matches since, started 3 and scoring 3 goals. First, Macario took her place and then when Macario got injured, Morgan took her spot at halftime of the very next match. It is reminiscent of when Germany dropped the likes of Muller, Hummels to bring a new core and then had to bring the old guys back because the results were not going well. He has played Rodman and Smith threw the middle before so it is not completely foreign. I would probably have them up from with Williams and see if they can attack with all out pace. Unfortunately, I have zero confidence that is a tactical shift Vlatko can comfortably make. I fear he will continue to play how he plays.
Old 08-01-2023, 10:43 PM   #1066
RainMaker
General Manager

Hatch is the best goal scorer in the best league. Just seems like you'd want her on the squad, even if it's in a backup role.

Morgan and Rapinoe were always going to make it because of the sponsorships. But I feel like you could have probably found a spot for Hatch over one of the young players.
Old 08-02-2023, 06:18 AM   #1067
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Hatch is the best goal scorer in the best league. Just seems like you'd want her on the squad, even if it's in a backup role.

Morgan and Rapinoe were always going to make it because of the sponsorships. But I feel like you could have probably found a spot for Hatch over one of the young players.

I don't follow NWSL close enough to have a informed opinion about Hatch as a player. I see the stats but I have don't know what type of player she is. Stats-wise, I agree with your sentiment. I'm just saying that Vlatko does not seem to rate her for what he wants to do now. When you watched the team play when Vlatko dropped the older players, Morgan could not play in that team with that style. Hatch was there and played early but progressively got less and less playing time.

The future at the number nine position for USWNT is Catarina Macario if she comes back from her ACL injury fully healthy. The concern I have for Hatch under this management team is when Macario got hurt, Hatch did not step into the lineup and get a run of games as a starter with another striker(Coffey?) becoming her backup. Vlatko decided to bring back Morgan and changed the way the team played in order to do so. To be fair, Morgan performed at a high level for him during that time. You could definitely say that shows a lack of tactical flexibility by the coach to get the best out of Hatch but it also is not a good look for player.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:16 PM   #1068
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Well I would say Germany not making the knockout stage is a massive surprise. They are ranked #2 in the world (for whatever that is worth) and they are the one team that has a trophy room that somewhat rivals the USWNT in women's soccer:

In the previous 8 World Cups, they have won twice, been runner-up once, and finished fourth twice.

In the previous 7 Olympics, they have 1 Gold metal and 3 Bronze metals.

This is the first time they have missed the knockout stage of the World Cup.

Canada and Brazil not making it are very big surprises as well but I don't think they are quite on the same level historically as Germany has been.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:22 PM   #1069
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Brazil are two-time finalists and Canada's the defending Olympic Champion. Also, no Italy.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:28 PM   #1070
RainMaker
General Manager

We're a few inches away from having the US out of the tournament too. It's been really weird. The rest of the world is definitely catching up.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:30 PM   #1071
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am happy that the rest of the world is catching up. Hopefully some of those teams going through shines an embarrassing light on their countries' FA and federations. Jamaica's women allegedly had to do a GoFundMe fundraiser to lodging, airfare, ground transportation, food and other costs associated with the trip. The Nigerian coach Randy Waldrum who is also the coach at the University of Pittsburgh was almost fired by the Nigerian FA when he called them out for not properly funding the squad's World Cup prep and not paying the players monies owed to them.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:45 PM   #1072
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It was a lot of fun seeing the South Korean women go out and really take it to Germany. They got up 1-0 in six minutes and it probably should have been 2-0. They were so happy, so "nothing to lose, just put it out there".

Germany then dominated, got the equalizer just before half, but couldn't get another in.

I never thought the tournament was ready to go to 32, but it was. Mostly because so many countries are simply taking women's soccer seriously now (even Jamaica's doing something). Now they have sort out talent/development/tactics issues.

I think the US wins this in the end, but it's far from a given. They might even be considered underdogs to Sweden if all you look at is their midfield struggles. And their finishing struggles. And their goaltending struggles. OK, so maybe they're not going to win. But they could.
Old 08-06-2023, 04:54 AM   #1073
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Not to get too encouraged, but I think that's the best half of play I've seen a team play so far. Sweden's lucky it's still 0-0. The US just needs a younger Morgan out there - she looks a bit lost trying to finish. The rest of the team seems to have solved some issues. I wonder if they can start Williams in the second half for Morgan.
Old 08-06-2023, 05:18 AM   #1074
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, so much better. The double pivot has made all the difference and they really haven’t missed Lavelle as a result.
Old 08-06-2023, 06:34 AM   #1075
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Oh boy, penalties

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 06:38 AM   #1076
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

These are some good effing penalties

That worked a charm

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-06-2023 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-06-2023, 06:47 AM   #1077
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Wow

Old 08-06-2023, 06:50 AM   #1078
Edward64
Head Coach

Congrats Sweden. Nice win.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 07:02 AM   #1079
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Not a fan of deciding things with PK, but that's one to remember. That graphic made it look like less than inch over the line.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:10 AM   #1080
bronconick
College Starter

Congratulations to the USWNT on finally being equal to the men's team.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 09:11 AM   #1081
bhlloy
Coordinator

Brutal loss by mm, never mind inches. Played much better and looked for a lot of the game like the team who were favorites to repeat, the game up next vs Japan would have been a fascinating clash of styles.

I understand it's a controversial take right now, but the vets really cost this US team. Morgan's link up play was decent, but provided absolutely no cutting edge in the final third and 0 goals (and 0 assists?) in the tournament for a lone striker just is nowhere near good enough. Rapinoe way off the pace when she came on and her set pieces didn't clear the first player most of the time, which took a huge threat away for the last third of the game. And then obviously O'Hara comes on for the PK to ice the game and misses.
Old 08-06-2023, 02:25 PM   #1082
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Age catches us all, but the Women's team seems to let the former stars play till they retire regardless of the suitability or condition. Leaving Papone or Morgan might have made tactical sense, but the PR hit would have been brutal.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 04:18 AM   #1083
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

That was just not smart on the part of the English player. Thuggish. Critical moment. Not even in the passion of a contentious play. All the pre-tournament favorites have had serious issues. Nigeria has been the better team out there.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:32 AM   #1084
miami_fan
Coordinator

Practice your penalties kiddos. Or maybe put away your chances during the 120 minutes of open play.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:59 AM   #1085
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Age catches us all, but the Women's team seems to let the former stars play till they retire regardless of the suitability or condition. Leaving Papone or Morgan might have made tactical sense, but the PR hit would have been brutal.

When we were orders of magnitude better than all the other countries, we could do things like leave our aging stars out there for a victory lap, and we'd still win easily.

Part of adjusting to the rest of the world catching up will be fans and players having to understand that the World Cup isn't a popularity contest or a lifetime achievement award. If there's a 22-year-old who can play better than you, then your time is up. Thanks for everything you've done; go sell tickets and jerseys for a NWSL team for a few years; and then enjoy a well-earned retirement.

Mother Time is as ruthless as Father Time.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 01:41 PM   #1086
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We do have a 2023-24 Soccer thread, you know
Old 08-07-2023, 02:11 PM   #1087
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
When we were orders of magnitude better than all the other countries, we could do things like leave our aging stars out there for a victory lap, and we'd still win easily.

Part of adjusting to the rest of the world catching up will be fans and players having to understand that the World Cup isn't a popularity contest or a lifetime achievement award. If there's a 22-year-old who can play better than you, then your time is up. Thanks for everything you've done; go sell tickets and jerseys for a NWSL team for a few years; and then enjoy a well-earned retirement.

Mother Time is as ruthless as Father Time.

Ashley Hatch was a huge miss in forming this team, averaging .73 GPG and only carrying one true striker while leaving her off so some of the others could have their victory lap was ridiculous.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 04:11 PM   #1088
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Ashley Hatch was a huge miss in forming this team, averaging .73 GPG and only carrying one true striker while leaving her off so some of the others could have their victory lap was ridiculous.

I agree Hatch should have been on the roster but saying the team was only carrying one true striker isn't the right argument. I believe both Sophia Smith and Lynn Williams play striker for their club teams and I think might be more their natural position then winger is.

Hatch is a superstar in the NWSL so that's a pretty good reason why she probably should have been included.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:00 PM   #1089
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It is a bit strange that both the Men's and Women's US world cup teams had problems at the striker position. That would seem to point to something institutional, but not sure what it could be. The WNT defense was solid the 4 games they played, just couldn't score.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 05:17 PM   #1090
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
It is a bit strange that both the Men's and Women's US world cup teams had problems at the striker position. That would seem to point to something institutional, but not sure what it could be. The WNT defense was solid the 4 games they played, just couldn't score.

Feels like the women's problem is more self-inflicted. They left Hatch, who is the best scorer in the best women's league at home. They chose to play older players who were washed instead of younger talent.

The talent is there, they just need to be coached and given playing time.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:20 PM   #1091
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Rapinoe had no business on the team. She especially had no business playing.

Morgan deserves to be on the team. She's not the special player she once was, but I think she would have been a great sub (or even someone you sub off at 60). She's just not effective at this level over 90 minutes.

I do wonder how much of these decisions came down to endorsements.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:27 PM   #1092
RainMaker
General Manager

Also worth noting is their U20 and U17 have been bad for a while now. It seems like there are some massive issues in the development and scouting of talent. There is a chance they just become like any other country soon without some major shakeups in the program. And shakeups are not exactly things US Soccer does.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:10 PM   #1093
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Feels like the women's problem is more self-inflicted. They left Hatch, who is the best scorer in the best women's league at home. They chose to play older players who were washed instead of younger talent.

The talent is there, they just need to be coached and given playing time.
I feel the need to put this disclaimer out there one more time. I don't watch or follow the NWSL on a regular basis. The following is an attempt to be educated by anyone who knows more about the league and its players. I only know most of the American players through their international play.

Are we sure the talent is there? And when you say the talent is there, where is there? The NWSL? Because that is where all but one

Do we know where the NWSL among the top women's leagues in the world? Is Ashley Hatch among the top strikers in the world? I don't want to give too much credence to FIFA honors but the top three players on The Best FIFA Women's Player 2022 list were Alexia who plays for Spain and Barcelona, Alex Morgan and Beth Mead who plays for England and Arsenal. There were no other American candidates. Of the FIFA FIFPRO Women's World 11, the only American in the team was Alex Morgan and the only other American nominee was Kelley O'Hara. I think all of us believe that if we had a world class player American player, FIFA would find a way to put them on the team.

Now to Ashley Hatch specifically. I am looking at her stats from last year and this year. What am I missing? This year, she is second in the league in goals with 8 but 4 of those are from the spot compared to 5 and 3 for Morgan. She has an XG of 9.8(1st in the league) compared to Morgan's 4.9, and a npXG (minus penalties) of 6.9 which is also 1st in the league compared to Morgan's 3.4. Hatch is having a good if not great 2023 and is doing better than Morgan. That 2023 consists of 15 matches of a 22 game season from March to Jul of this year. In the full 2022, it was almost a complete opposite. Morgan has better stats in all the categories that matter. This is not to say that based solely on her performance this year, Hatch should not have been on the team. It is me saying that based on the clamor for her inclusion in the USWNT squad, I expected to see a better stat line over the last year plus from Ashley Hatch in the league.

Am I being unfair?
Old 08-08-2023, 01:37 AM   #1094
bhlloy
Coordinator

I do think that’s a very good point, which is the US setup probably isn’t as good these days as people think it is. At this point as more Womens leagues go professional with academies like the men’s game in Europe, if the US just rests on its laurels with the traditional club to college to a pro league that has been a bit of a mess, it probably won’t stay as the premier or even one of the premier nations in the world.

My wife played semi pro and county level (which I’m sure isn’t even a thing any more) while she was in the UK, with players from and against some name clubs in and around London like Watford, Palace and Arsenal. The level of professionalism was basically non existent; there was talent but it was basically pub levels of organization and fitness and it just happened to be girls who grew up playing and fell into a club team at 14-16. That has totally changed in the UK to a point it’s unrecognizable, now all these Prem teams are pro and have academies and that’s not unusual for the big European leagues from what I understand. The US definitely needs to keep up.
Old 08-08-2023, 07:34 AM   #1095
cuervo72
Head Coach

Good. Frankly I think it'll make the sport a little more interesting, and championships a little more meaningful. It's like the Dream Team. It's nice the first time, but after twelve years of beating up on Angola or whatever, the novelty wears off, you know? Or for me getting meaning out of WCBB. Oh boy, UCONN wins all the time because they get the very best players all the time, and half the HS feeder players still use set shots and played in games where one team was lucky to score ten points.

Ok, maybe all that is a little hyperbole, but it gets old if every four years you get this prideful coronation where you are, well, as bhlloy says playing against a world of women who came up in an atmosphere with no support or professionalism. You're only as great as your competition. If all of a sudden it's actual competition and you're not good enough to adapt, maybe you weren't really that strong to begin with.
Old 08-08-2023, 01:44 PM   #1096
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Agreed that this WC has been far more entertaining because most matches are competitive. The next step is more organization and teaching. What we're seeing is the result of a generation of serious training for women around the world. But the product is still uneven and overly dependent on athleticism. Methods and organization will continue to improve.

Unfortunately, as we saw from Colombia this morning, the fake injuries to gain fouls and waste time is becoming entrenched in places as well. That's a part of teaching I think we could do without. FIFA should do all it can to eliminate it - "realistic" additional time is a good start.