Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Damn Amway and Their Trademark Pushiness!

...say the two fugitives who were captured last night:

The cabbie who picked up the couple suspected in a deadly courthouse escape in Tennessee said Thursday they told him they were going to an Amway convention, but the story "didn't really seem to wash."

He already had been dubious about the couple's Amway story "because, to be honest, they weren't very pushy about their product."

LOL!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-11-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've been chuckling about that all morning.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #3
Raiders Army
Coordinator

That's awesome.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

My best friend from the first couple years of high school called me up a few years ago just to see how I was doing. Then he segued right into "have you ever heard of Amway?" I told him if he wanted to just rap about life and all that old friendship stuff I would be more than happy to talk, but if he was just pitching bullshit to "go fuck yourself." Never heard from him again.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Amway stories make me so happy to be from Grand Rapids.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:18 PM   #6
Anthony
Banned

so what's so evil about Amway? i think i heard they were involved in some illegal money scam.

i remember i went to an Amway meeting, this was during early college, these people posed as recruiters and offered to take me to lunch to go over this opportunity (i so totally could have been kidnapped, when i think about it, but i'm a sucker for anything that has the word "free" attached to it, and i love food, so i went to this lunch). anyway, to shorten this story, i went to what turned out to be an Amway meeting later on that nite (and i still had no clue about their reputation). i felt so suckered when they were like "you have to purchase our training materials and sell our products"...aaaargh! i just wanted a job. it wasn't until my mom told me that Amway was a scam that i thought lucky that the only thing i lost out on was my time. at least i got a free lunch out of it.

Last edited by Anthony : 08-11-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:36 PM   #7
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

When I was working for The Holland Sentinel, I lived in an apartment right across the street from one of the founders of Amway (they were lakefront down a long driveway, I was living above a garage in an illegal apartment).

While he was VP and running for president, Bush 41 (the father) went there for a party right after a speech he made in nearby Muskegon. I was covering the speech for the paper, and wanted to get photos of him at the party. I figured that since I lived there, the Secret Service wouldn't stop me from wandering to the foot of the driveway, at least.

Well, that was wrong. Even though I made good time out of Muskegon, the motorcade caught me about 1/4 mile from my apartment (these guys are like racecar drivers). They forced me off the road, made sure I stayed put for a minute. Then, when I got home, there were enough of them milling about that I couldn't get close enough for pictures.

Quite an exciting afternoon, but the only pictures I got were from the speech itself. If I were quicker on the draw, I would have tried to sell soap flakes to the Secret Service guarding the street around that driveway.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:58 PM   #8
Riggins44
High School JV

When I was young and working at a computer store, some guy was telling me about a business opportunity. He knew that I was a wanna-be programmer at the time. So, he has me meet him at some restaurant and whips out these Amway tapes. I felt like such a jackass at that point. What was even worse, he didn't even pay for the meal!

Anyways, they never found the body.

Nothing will kill a friendship faster than trying to convince someone that they should buy soap from you, rather than the store.

Last edited by Riggins44 : 08-11-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Riggins44 is offline   Reply With Quote