Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-05-2020, 10:25 AM   #8651
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Apparently Marty Jannety talked on facebook this morning to killing someone when he was 13 and the guy tried to molest him. He did this unprompted in the context of complaining about a falling out with his girlfriend.

Welcome to 2020
Old 08-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #8652
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I feel like Marty has a history of some tall tales though, right?
I man hasnt he claimed some crazy stuff before
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #8653
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Dola and surprised no mention of AEW losing slots to NBA
Old 08-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #8654
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

He confessed to multiple murders - the specific one in his post was just the "first"
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #8655
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Yeah. I figure "Marty is a serial killer" and "Marty felt like trending on social media for a morning" are both equally likely.

And, as always, it could be both.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #8656
molson
General Manager

I don't believe the murder story, but I do take it as a legit threat against his girlfriend.

Edit: "I've killed people before" is a means to intimidate her, and once you're willing to go even that far, you're a domestic abuser already.

Last edited by molson : 08-05-2020 at 01:40 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #8657
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't believe the murder story, but I do take it as a legit threat against his girlfriend.

Edit: "I've killed people before" is a means to intimidate her, and once you're willing to go even that far, you're a domestic abuser already.

But that's not how it reads at all.
That's the story people are trying to fabricate.

He said, thats when I decided to never be hurt again. And told his GF since you hurt me, Im gone Im not going to hang around and be hurt. Nowhere did he threaten her, the way I read it.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #8658
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nowhere did he threaten her, the way I read it.

But in 2020, in wrestling, there's really no control over the woke joke culture.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:23 PM   #8659
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I think a lot of older wrestlers like that are always "on". They love telling tall tales and this is likely another one. Pretty dumb to boast about on Facebook but with his history of substance abuse, this isn't surprising.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #8660
RainMaker
General Manager

Well nevermind, he's sticking to the story. Not the brightest bulb.

Marty Jannetty Claims Self-Defense In Bizarre Killing Confession
Old 08-06-2020, 12:41 PM   #8661
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Watch the dark side of the ring episode on it and thr podcast was eye opening

That episode showed just how good real pro boxers are, even if they look like Butterbean. Gunn is lucky he didn't get killed.

I did amateur boxing when I was younger and we would have some low level pros come to spar before events. They would whoop our fucking asses, it was insane. Even guys in their 40's.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #8662
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Rest in peace

Former WWE wrestler James Harris, known in the ring as Kamala, dies at age 70
Old 08-09-2020, 11:10 PM   #8663
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
He fought for a while with World Class Championship Wrestling. Evidently he'd been in pretty poor health the past few years.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:05 AM   #8664
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
He fought for a while with World Class Championship Wrestling. Evidently he'd been in pretty poor health the past few years.

Yeah, starting with the amputations and then downhill from there. Hard life, from nearly start to finish.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:26 PM   #8665
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Former ROH champion and indy staple Xavier passes away at 43

Cause of death unreported thus far
Old 08-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #8666
RainMaker
General Manager

That's a name from the past. He was part of those early ROH days that was loaded with talent.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:36 PM   #8667
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't know if anyone has kept up with this story but HOLY CRAP...

WWE star Sonya Deville on stalking suspect: ‘He was there to hurt me.’
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:29 PM   #8668
miami_fan
Coordinator

There is going to be wrestling... on a Saturday... on a Turner channel... with Tony Schiavone on the call? All that is missing is a Braves game afterwards that started at 8:05 and you now know what my tv viewing habits were from say 1985 until like 1990.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-22-2020, 09:57 PM   #8669
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pretty unusual to see almost universal praise for a show but that's what I'm reading for tonight's NXT Takeover. Hard to believe that they've reached #30.

And I've read enough to have the strong impression that I was wrong about Pat McAfee, seeing phrases like "that wasn't just good 'for a football player', it was good period" a lot. Learning that he was hands-on trained by Rip Rogers makes that make a little more sense to me. It seems McAfee may be more serious about this transition that I expected.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #8670
molson
General Manager

The WWE Thunderdome setup with virtual fans in an arena was a pretty fun idea, but of course some wrestling fans had to fuck it up with photos and videos of KKK members, Chris Benoit, and an Islamic terrorist beheading.

Last edited by molson : 08-25-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:07 PM   #8671
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Pretty unusual to see almost universal praise for a show but that's what I'm reading for tonight's NXT Takeover. Hard to believe that they've reached #30.

And I've read enough to have the strong impression that I was wrong about Pat McAfee, seeing phrases like "that wasn't just good 'for a football player', it was good period" a lot. Learning that he was hands-on trained by Rip Rogers makes that make a little more sense to me. It seems McAfee may be more serious about this transition that I expected.

Yeah, I was reading that he's been training hard since he started with WWE as an announcer. So it makes sense that he'd look better than most celebrities. He's a big guy and a natural heel on the mic, so if he can do anything in the ring, that's a nice find for the company.

Thunderdome is a little distracting but much better than the empty arena.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #8672
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The WWE Thunderdome setup with virtual fans in an arena was a pretty fun idea, but of course some wrestling fans had to fuck it up with photos and videos of KKK members, Chris Benoit, and an Islamic terrorist beheading.

I've been to WWE house shows, and I see what kind of person that shows up. Not a refined crowd, to say the least. So unfortunately it does not surprise me that if you give them a camera, some fans will do something stupid with it.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #8673
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This one hurts

Rest in peace Bullet

Bullet Bob Armstrong Passes Away
Old 08-28-2020, 02:03 PM   #8674
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Masked Assassin finally got him? (He was known as the Flame then)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thQTGvHdlv4

Last edited by SirFozzie : 08-28-2020 at 02:04 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:10 PM   #8675
molson
General Manager

I'm fascinated by these guys that wrestle matches into their late 70s. It's not really "wrestling" I guess, but they get in there, throw some punches. Dory Funk Jr. was still pretty active up until 2018 at age 77, I guess he's finally done now. Mil Mascaras was still going until last year, also age 77. Jerry Lawler still going at 69, and he still looks decent from some clips I've seen.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #8676
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jerry Lawler RTs and notes that it's 30 years to the day since Eddie Gilbert ran over him with a car (video clip is in the link)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1300757385183662081
Old 09-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #8677
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This one hurts

Rest in peace Bullet

Bullet Bob Armstrong Passes Away

Georgia mainstay, saw him a couple of times at the Bell Auditorium in Augusta
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:04 PM   #8678
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Georgia mainstay, saw him a couple of times at the Bell Auditorium in Augusta

Yep, the Bell was itself a mainstay in the territory era. Municipal Auditorium in both Atlanta & Columbus. Combine those three venues and you have probably 80-90 percent of the biggest matches pre-Omni days.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #8679
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

G1 blocks revealed last night

A Block: Kota Ibushi, Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Shingo Takagi, Yujiro Takahashi, Taichi, Minoru Suzuki, Will Ospreay, Jeff Cobb, Jay White.

B Block: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto, Toru Yano, YOSHI-HASHI, SANADA, Tetsuya Naito, EVIL, Zack Sabre Jr., Juice Robinson, KENTA.

No first-timers, no juniors, and a really top heavy A Block

Starts 9/18, ends Sun 10/18
Old 09-09-2020, 03:33 PM   #8680
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

We need to have a contest - predict the records and the result of the final
Old 09-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #8681
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
We need to have a contest - predict the records and the result of the final

I'll have to find the site (or have my kid give it to me, as usual) but there's a pretty good one each year, already formatted, and gives daily updates by email (IIRC)
Old 09-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #8682
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: G1 picks contest. Here's the link
403 - Forbidden

And at that link -- which is where you enter via google form, there's also links to a couple of cheatsheets that help you keep track of points, etc (but you do have to enter the picks into their form afterwards)
Old 09-14-2020, 08:48 PM   #8683
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

holy crap, that's a lot of picking...
Old 09-14-2020, 09:05 PM   #8684
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
holy crap, that's a lot of picking...

Yeah, it is not for the fainthearted.

That's also why I suggested something that was already organized for the purpose (me & da kid have done this one 2-3 years now) rather than trying to gin up one ourselves.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:47 AM   #8685
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Idle thought for a couple days now, I'll just throw it here in case I turn out to be long-term correct.

I wondered whether Yuji Nagata might end up reactivating Seigi-gun ("a branch of New Japan Seikigun ("regular army") that seeks justice") if, as I suspect, a number of NJPW stables are going to split, regroup, etc. over the next year.

If so, does it turn into a sort of Bullet Club Hunters v2.0?

(I'm leaning more in that direction after Shingo's night 1 postmatch comment about how he'll dismantle BC if he has to in order to stop their shenanigans)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-20-2020 at 12:47 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #8686
RainMaker
General Manager

Am I the only one who enjoys them dumping the early tag matches?
Old 09-22-2020, 06:41 PM   #8687
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Am I the only one who enjoys them dumping the early tag matches?

It makes for an easier watch, though it hurts their opportunity to tell stories, establish matches, heighten tensions and so forth.

For health reasons -- physical moreso than viral -- I can live with the change but I do think it diminishes the night / next night a bit.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #8688
RainMaker
General Manager

Agree on that. For me, I just couldn't watch it all so was always skipping the matches (or watching in the background). And as someone who doesn't follow it as closely as others, it got a little confusing. I can see them going back next year but I do kind of like these lean shows.

I'm also someone who likes the 2 hour NXT PPVs and old 1 hour shows they put on.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #8689
miami_fan
Coordinator

RIP Joe Laurinaitis AKA Road Warrior Animal

Joe Laurinaitis, known as WWE's Road Warrior Animal, dies at 60
Old 09-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #8690
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Big fan of LoD as a kid.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:50 PM   #8691
BYU 14
Coordinator

Damn, totally sucks, they are arguably the most iconic pair (With respect to the Rock and Roll and Midnight Express) of all time.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #8692
RainMaker
General Manager

Loved them as a kid too. Helped they were billed from Chicago.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:25 AM   #8693
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well here's an unforeseen development
Quote:
At a meeting of New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s parent company Bushiroad’s board of directors today September 29, 2020, a change was announced in NJPW’s directorship. This change will take effect at the beginning of NJPW’s 50th year of trading on October 23rd.

Outgoing President/CEO

Harold Meij

New NJPW President/CEO (as of October 23)

Takami Ohbari (current NJPW of America CEO)

Change in NJPW Directorship | NEW JAPAN PRO-WRESTLING

edit to add: And, thus far, nobody seems to have a clue wtf is going on, or more specifically, WHY it's going on

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-29-2020 at 02:37 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:51 AM   #8694
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Saw this floating around Twitter this morning. I gotta admit, I hadn't thought about it but it does seem to check out

Quote:
Damian Priest is older now than Shawn Michaels was when he came out of retirement for his Jesus run
Old 10-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #8695
miami_fan
Coordinator

A future episode of Dark Side of the Ring?

Ex-WWE Star Alberto Del Rio Charged with Kidnapping, Sexual Assault
Old 10-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #8696
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Another G1 Climax is now in the books. Next up - after a combo juniors and tag league tournament - another 2-day WrestleKingdom on Jan 4 & 5, 2021.

By the way, my predictions finished tied for 259th place, out of 638 entrants.
Only 9% of entrants picked the eventual winner correctly.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:23 PM   #8697
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

via Twitter, Jimmy Rave announces that his left arm had to be amputated earlier this week.

An untreated infection turned into a life-threatening situation apparently.

Just ... damn
Old 12-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #8698
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Kid turned on AEW out of morbid curiosity / boredom.

Dear Lord, this is significantly worse than I realized.

And Ol' Jr barely makes sense half the time.

This is actually worse than WCW, with less talent top to bottom.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:08 PM   #8699
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LOL, cause I made that WCW reference about 60 seconds BEFORE tonight's big surprise reveal.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:05 PM   #8700
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And it went downhill from there.

Nonsensical.

Not in the sense of bad execution for the main, but from a larger strategy standpoint.