Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #151
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
My installation is scheduled for December 30th.. Can't wait to drop that time Warner box off..

Nice!

I will say that the rumors that they weren't going to work through the winter haven't panned out. There's a ton of trucks out every day from what I've seen in our area.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:18 AM   #152
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Got the installation email tonight, getting Google Fiber on Jan. 15. Ragone will have to give a full review before then.

My contract with DirecTV runs until August, but I've done the math and I will actually be paying less to keep Direct bare bones on one TV with Google Fiber Internet and TV than I'm paying for Direct and Uverse internet now.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #153
Ragone
Pro Rookie

ive heard that the tv boxes are wireless to the signal.. if that's the case would make it a TON easier on my mounting tv project to wall..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #154
Desnudo
Coordinator

10 GBPS internet in Minneapolis

Minneapolis residents to get 10-gigabit fiber, for $400 per month | Ars Technica)
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #155
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post

That seems as useful as 4K TV's. There's nothing there that really requires that kind of speed or even can utilize it. Even the 1 GB/sec that Google is offering is borderline overload.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #156
Desnudo
Coordinator

Do you work at Comcast?

Incorrect predictions - Wikiquote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #157
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Do you work at Comcast?

Incorrect predictions - Wikiquote

I've been pretty clear where I work.

As I stated, it's just not needed right now. Only real use even for the 1GB/sec right now is the number of devices in some homes. I could get my internet degraded by 90% by TV/streaming/etc. and still land 100MB/sec at that rate.

The good part about these pockets of 1GB+ internet is that it's rattling the big providers to the point where they're going to have to do a major overhaul of their infrastructure in a lot of metro areas in the very near future to remain relevant in TV/internet. That's what people should be happy about.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #158
Desnudo
Coordinator

Technology is rarely recognized as necessary at the time it becomes available.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:22 PM   #159
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I remember famously saying about 10 years ago that I couldn't imagine smart phones taking off because we would never have wireless speeds that would make them practical. So I'm open to the ideas.

And I worked for a company that had as a talking point that there was no need for home users to have a gigabit of service. I rolled my eyes at that one.

That said, my complaint right now is that no one is working on applications that make a gigabit practical. A bunch of hipsters in KC trying to suck up to Google come up with a gigabit project to develop 100 ideas for using a gig, and almost all of them had nothing to do with needing a gig but rather expanding storage and infrastructure. You can teach classes online, conduct telemedicine and stream high school sports now. The challenge isn't speed but providing cameras, servers and equipment.

I'm assuming at this point development will occur when we reach a critical mass of subscribers. Right now it's not practical to develop gigabit applications because they aren't enough customers and you're still limited by the pipes in between. Just because I have a gig doesn't mean Netflix is going to stream video at 40 mbps.

At this point a gigabit for me means everybody in my house can be online at the same time without buffering and suffering from pokey download speeds. It will decrease the complaining from Mrs. kcchief19 by 98%.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:30 PM   #160
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
ive heard that the tv boxes are wireless to the signal.. if that's the case would make it a TON easier on my mounting tv project to wall..
Yeah, I think that's one of the ways Google is trying to keep installation costs low and less complicated. Their ideal install is to put the server box in your basement and connect your TV boxes, computers and mobile devices wirelessly. You can connect with cat 5 or 6 wiring, but I don't think they will run that cable for you to all of your TVs. You'll have to confirm for us.

I do have a concern about the TV offering. When I have been in the Google Fiber demo space, local channels look like hell. When I asked about it, they said it was because some shows are in HD and some SD, but I know for a fact the show that was on was broadcast in HD. It looked like an SD signal though.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:31 PM   #161
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Got the installation email tonight, getting Google Fiber on Jan. 15. Ragone will have to give a full review before then.

My contract with DirecTV runs until August, but I've done the math and I will actually be paying less to keep Direct bare bones on one TV with Google Fiber Internet and TV than I'm paying for Direct and Uverse internet now.

You can just buy it out for like $160($20/month).

Also possible you might get them to cut you a break on cancellation fee.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:49 PM   #162
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
You can just buy it out for like $160($20/month).

Also possible you might get them to cut you a break on cancellation fee.
Ah, that's good to know. My initial math was that I could cut everything back to bare bones for $50 a month, which would come out to $400 to finish my contract. I may still do that just so I can still have everything on our DVR a bit longer and a some flexibility. But I didn't know the buyout or cancellation were negotiable. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2014, 12:38 AM   #163
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How to get your cancellation fees back from DirecTV – Snappy Living
Old 12-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #164
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
That said, my complaint right now is that no one is working on applications that make a gigabit practical. A bunch of hipsters in KC trying to suck up to Google come up with a gigabit project to develop 100 ideas for using a gig, and almost all of them had nothing to do with needing a gig but rather expanding storage and infrastructure. You can teach classes online, conduct telemedicine and stream high school sports now. The challenge isn't speed but providing cameras, servers and equipment.
Agree with this and your other points but keep in mind that even Google Fiber is oversubscribing your 1G bandwidth. So while you have dedicated 1G to Google's first hop facility, you do not have a dedicated 1G to the internet. This is still something thats a few years away even if the applications are there (though I do see the Occulus VR type of technologies pushing that possibile need sooner & sooner...just not certain what "soon" really is).

On an individual test, you would (should) get 1G simply because everybody else isn't using but a drop in the bucket of their 1G as well. But if everybody in a fiberhood actually had an application requiring (near) 1G and tried using it simultaneously, they would all experience the same issues every other operator would experience, whether they were proving you 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, or 1 Gbps. Core network design would never scale at 1G per subscriber (literally 100s of Gbps per edge facility, which in turn would be 10s of 100s of gbps per market...nobody scales that because you'll replace it all far sooner than the bw demand will require that level of overbuild). And the oversubscription isn't anywhere close to the 1G per subscriber number (likely in the 100 Mbps per sub at absolute best).
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #165
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Agree with this and your other points but keep in mind that even Google Fiber is oversubscribing your 1G bandwidth. So while you have dedicated 1G to Google's first hop facility, you do not have a dedicated 1G to the internet. This is still something thats a few years away even if the applications are there (though I do see the Occulus VR type of technologies pushing that possibile need sooner & sooner...just not certain what "soon" really is).

On an individual test, you would (should) get 1G simply because everybody else isn't using but a drop in the bucket of their 1G as well. But if everybody in a fiberhood actually had an application requiring (near) 1G and tried using it simultaneously, they would all experience the same issues every other operator would experience, whether they were proving you 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, or 1 Gbps. Core network design would never scale at 1G per subscriber (literally 100s of Gbps per edge facility, which in turn would be 10s of 100s of gbps per market...nobody scales that because you'll replace it all far sooner than the bw demand will require that level of overbuild). And the oversubscription isn't anywhere close to the 1G per subscriber number (likely in the 100 Mbps per sub at absolute best).
You can pick almost any random speed between 100 to 1,000 Mbps and there still isn't any development of applications taking advantage of that speed. Video providers will probably be the first in the space -- 4k or uncompressed HD video would be great to see. But I've yet to see anyone develop or even propose a realistic, valuable application for fiber speeds.

I'll be interested in seeing what happens when Google Fiber reaches further build out. Everyone oversubscribes their network -- I rarely reached top speeds with TWC. My U-verse connection was great in 2008, but it blows in 2014. Too much build out and too little maintenance, it would appear. I have 18 Mbps service (top seed for my area) and 15 is about my max with 8-10 during peak hours.

It would appear that Google is capable of delivering 10 Gbps to the home, but caps that speed at 1G. And with fiber, there should be less drop off from end-of-line speed loss. I've heard that some customers in the initial build out areas where market saturation is highest typically get speeds in the 900-975 mbps. That's still ridiculously fast.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #166
kcchief19
Pro Starter

On a separate note, had the install of the in-laws "free" 5 Mpbs service today. This is the service Google provides free for seven years with a $300 install fee payable in one lump sum or 12 monthly payments of $25 for a year.

Setup was pretty smooth. Sorry I didn't take any pictures. They installed the jack along the exterior wall near the computer desk so we could hardwire the desktop. Speedtests came in right around 5 Mbps, but it seemed just as fast or faster than my 18 Mbps service at home. There seemed to be less lag with this connection.

It takes a bit of power. Both the jack and the network box need power. They don't have TV service so I can't report on that. Setting up the Internet service and installation took about 90 minutes and went pretty smooth. Setting up the wireless network was the easiest network setup ever -- you do it all online through your account.

16 days until Google Fiber comes here to my house!
Old 12-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #167
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
You can pick almost any random speed between 100 to 1,000 Mbps and there still isn't any development of applications taking advantage of that speed. Video providers will probably be the first in the space -- 4k or uncompressed HD video would be great to see. But I've yet to see anyone develop or even propose a realistic, valuable application for fiber speeds.

I'll be interested in seeing what happens when Google Fiber reaches further build out. Everyone oversubscribes their network -- I rarely reached top speeds with TWC. My U-verse connection was great in 2008, but it blows in 2014. Too much build out and too little maintenance, it would appear. I have 18 Mbps service (top seed for my area) and 15 is about my max with 8-10 during peak hours.

It would appear that Google is capable of delivering 10 Gbps to the home, but caps that speed at 1G. And with fiber, there should be less drop off from end-of-line speed loss. I've heard that some customers in the initial build out areas where market saturation is highest typically get speeds in the 900-975 mbps. That's still ridiculously fast.
Video providers won't be sending 100+ Mbps video services to consumers. I can get you something you would perceive as impossible to beat at 40 mbps and even that might be better than necessary as a step 1.

I think the drivers for (residential) higher bandwidth applications are remote location services such as virtual reality offices, group VR applications, holographic communication, etc. But not even all of those need 1G so hence the confusion about why consumers believe they need this.

Also keep in mind the difference between latency & "speed" (which to be precise, the term used for speed is really a capacity of data in a fixed timeline). I'm sure Google's 1G latency is perfectly great as well but its also not necessarily faster if the other end isn't able to support it (which is typically more limited at the server itself, if the data access speed isn't the issue).
Old 12-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #168
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think the drivers for (residential) higher bandwidth applications are remote location services such as virtual reality offices, group VR applications, holographic communication, etc. But not even all of those need 1G so hence the confusion about why consumers believe they need this.
That's precisely what the MSOs and ISPs don't get and why Google entered the fiber space in the first place. It's about value and service.

As a consumer, I can pay $70 a month for 20-30 Mbps when I can pay $70 for 1g? Especially when I know that 20-30 Mbps isn't enough?

I get that bandwidth is the last great profit center for cable companies. I still think Google entered the fiber space to spur cable companies to up their speeds, and it's working. I'm not sold that Google is in this for the long haul, except they may have found ways to innovate the delivery process to make fiber profitable at an affordable price.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #169
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
As a consumer, I can pay $70 a month for the possibility of 20-30 Mbps when I can pay $70 for 1g? Especially when I know that 20-30 Mbps isn't enough?

Fixed.

I have paid for 'premium' speeds on 3-4 different providers. None of them have ever delivered on a consistent basis.

With Google Fiber, I can spend the same amount and get 100M/sec on a bad day. That's the difference right now until the dinosaurs start updating their networks.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:59 PM   #170
Ragone
Pro Rookie

wired right now. I'm getting 950 mbps.. wireless is ymmv.. I gladly called direct tv and time warner today to cancel

I realize as more people hook in, my performace will likely drop.. but I can't imagine it would be that much
Old 01-01-2015, 08:24 AM   #171
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Had some neighbors that had to password protect their Google Fiber wireless. Evidently had a lot of freeloaders in the neighborhood.

Ragone, I know that one of my friends found out that moving around their Google box just a little bit makes a huge difference on how well the wireless performs. Perhaps you're just using your own router rather than theirs, but thought I'd mention it.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #172
Ragone
Pro Rookie

oh man, I password protected my router immediately.. I know my neighbors would freeload.. the installers even laughed when they asked me what I'd do first.. "password protect the router"

The installers I had (I had 2..) even put in two tv jacks in my basement which was currently being finished.. it took a bit of finagling on my computer to get the top end speed but its working great now..
Old 01-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #173
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Cool. My experience at sites that have Google Fiber is YMMV for sure. I've been at meetings at the Fiber Space a few times and I've gotten anywhere from 15 to 50 Mbps depending on the number of people there.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #174
kcchief19
Pro Starter

On another Google Fiber note ... Google Fiber’s latest FCC filing is Comcast’s nightmare come to life

Utility pole access has been a big issue for Google, and forcing access has been a big part of their test market strategy in KC. They delayed signing a deal with one large suburb (Overland Park) because the city wanted different terms than Google has with other cities. Google pulled out of the most affluent suburb in KC (Leawood) because the city, after heavy lobbying from AT&T, passed an ordinance requiring all cable & ISPs to bury their infrastructure rather than use pole attachments. AT&T has denied Google access to their poles, and has been buying poles in some cities to limit Google's access.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #175
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
On another Google Fiber note ... Google Fiber’s latest FCC filing is Comcast’s nightmare come to life

Utility pole access has been a big issue for Google, and forcing access has been a big part of their test market strategy in KC. They delayed signing a deal with one large suburb (Overland Park) because the city wanted different terms than Google has with other cities. Google pulled out of the most affluent suburb in KC (Leawood) because the city, after heavy lobbying from AT&T, passed an ordinance requiring all cable & ISPs to bury their infrastructure rather than use pole attachments. AT&T has denied Google access to their poles, and has been buying poles in some cities to limit Google's access.

It's really only a matter of time. Google Fiber isn't going away any time soon and they have loads of money to beat out any of the other broadband providers. They seem to be jumping over every hurdle put in their way.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #176
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I spent more time on the phone cancelling time warner.. they wanted to offer me FREE SERVICE CALLS... gigabit internet(ha right) all for 30 bucks a month.. I realize the lady is doing her job, and all those recorded phone calls are analyzed.. but jeez.. If they just offered this stuff to begin with, instead of when you call to cancel.. maybe people would have stayed
Old 01-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #177
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Scheduled for January 5th at 8:00 am. Bring it on!

I'm going to cancel my uverse by walking into the AT&T store with a bunch of boxes. If they ask why I cancelled, I'll likely say 'Google Fiber is in town. Any questions?'.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #178
SnowMan
High School Varsity

And I'm stuck on using Verizon Jetpack 4G for all my internet. #1stWorldProblems
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:16 AM   #179
Ragone
Pro Rookie

How long till one of the cable companies pulls out of town.. we had 200 people in my fiberhood sign up.. average cable/internet bill being around say.. 120 a month.. that's 24k a month lost.. from just my fiberhood
Old 01-03-2015, 12:32 AM   #180
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I spent more time on the phone cancelling time warner.. they wanted to offer me FREE SERVICE CALLS... gigabit internet(ha right) all for 30 bucks a month.. I realize the lady is doing her job, and all those recorded phone calls are analyzed.. but jeez.. If they just offered this stuff to begin with, instead of when you call to cancel.. maybe people would have stayed

Yeah they're the worst. Had a 30 minute call to cancel, then they just went ahead and cancelled all my services for fun and it took another 45 minutes to get my billing corrected.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #181
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
How long till one of the cable companies pulls out of town.. we had 200 people in my fiberhood sign up.. average cable/internet bill being around say.. 120 a month.. that's 24k a month lost.. from just my fiberhood

AT&T just opened up that big retail location in our area, mostly because they had so many UVerse customers in the area. Wouldn't be shocked to see them move back to a smaller retail location once their lease is up just for phone service purposes.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:05 PM   #182
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Scheduled for January 5th at 8:00 am. Bring it on!

I'm going to cancel my uverse by walking into the AT&T store with a bunch of boxes. If they ask why I cancelled, I'll likely say 'Google Fiber is in town. Any questions?'.
Unless they have changed in the last year, you can't cancel your uVerse service at the AT&T stores. You have to call to cancel, then take your boxes to FedEx or the UPS Store and they ship them for you. That's how it worked the last two times I cancelled uVerse.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:13 PM   #183
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've heard rumors that Google is getting at least 50% market share in neighborhoods they go into. For the most part given where they have built so far, that would mean pulling from TWC, uVerse and the satellite companies primarily.

TWC/Comcast will still have decent numbers because they still serve plenty of suburbs Google hasn't touched yet.

There are too many regulatory hurdles and nightmares to clear for one of the major MSOs to pull out. The much more likely scenario is that they sell off the system to a smaller provider. I think WOW!, Cox or Charter would be interested if the price were right. But selling off is admitting defeat, and TWC/Comcast would rather lose money in KC than throw in the towel.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:22 PM   #184
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm intrigued by that part of what she said. TWC has already upped its top residential speed in KC to 300 Mbps, but I have no idea if that is available everywhere and what the YMMV speed is.

But I have seen several signs recently that someone other than Google is running fiber to neighborhoods. I've seen some fiber installers in Liberty, which doesn't have a deal with Google, and a contractor was running fiber in the neighborhood across the street from us, which I know already has Google Fiber in it.

I believe all the big boys in town are already running fiber to the nodes, so I'm wondering if someone is running fiber to the curb, which would allow existing coax lines to deliver gigabit speeds.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #185
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Unless they have changed in the last year, you can't cancel your uVerse service at the AT&T stores. You have to call to cancel, then take your boxes to FedEx or the UPS Store and they ship them for you. That's how it worked the last two times I cancelled uVerse.

And the guy I had said make sure you keep your proof of return of the boxes because they had more than one person complain that AT&T charged them for not returning the boxes when they had definitely done it through the UPS Store.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #186
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Connected! I have four TV boxes all on HD channels. In addition, I'm currently recording six different HD shows as a test. Even with all that bandwidth going out for those various uses, I still have 650Mb/sec wired and around 240Mb/sec wireless.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #187
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More toys. Really love the options available through the Google Fiber app. If you connect any smart phone/tablet to wifi in your house and download the app, you can watch all your channels live on that device, even if all TV's are in use. You can even do that with multiple phones at the same time. In addition, you can see on the app what shows are on all TV's and can change the channels on any box from the app.

Nice that all TV boxes can also double as Wifi boxes if you want to do so. Easy way to make guest Wifi if you have a guest bedroom.

Remotes have a pretty good delay right now, but he said that's a situation that fixes itself once the boxes finish downloading all the guide/schedule content.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #188
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The WiFi access points with the TV boxes is brilliant. Eliminates the blind spots you get with most modems and routers.

I'm increasingly pessimistic about being able to keep my DirecTV active on one TV until we're ready to dump it. I have an ethernet cable run to my office, so in theory I can have the Network Box and Storage Box there. But my house is a poorly designed split level, so running a separate coax so that I can get DirecTV to the one TV I want will be a nightmare.

I thought I saw in the Fiber Space that the Google TV Box can be installed wirelessly, and if that's true it's a perfect short-term solution. But I can't confirm that online.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #189
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
More toys. Really love the options available through the Google Fiber app. If you connect any smart phone/tablet to wifi in your house and download the app, you can watch all your channels live on that device, even if all TV's are in use. You can even do that with multiple phones at the same time. In addition, you can see on the app what shows are on all TV's and can change the channels on any box from the app.

Nice that all TV boxes can also double as Wifi boxes if you want to do so. Easy way to make guest Wifi if you have a guest bedroom.

Remotes have a pretty good delay right now, but he said that's a situation that fixes itself once the boxes finish downloading all the guide/schedule content.

The wifi thing is really cool.

So does the box run a flavor of android that you have access to add your own widgets? Or is it somewhat static in that regard?
Old 01-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #190
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The wifi thing is really cool.

So does the box run a flavor of android that you have access to add your own widgets? Or is it somewhat static in that regard?

I'm not for sure, but think the box is a relatively closed interface. I don't believe you can create or add additional tools. I do know that they're adding a lot of new things on a regular basis. The installation tech said that they usually install new firmware every couple of weeks to add new features that people are requesting. There's a forum area where you can request new features and the Google employees are pretty active on it. He showed me several features in the menus/Google Fiber app that had been added in the last week or two.

I can tell which sites have speed bottlenecks right away when accessing them. The big ones pop up lightning fast. Some of the other ones hesitate for a second before popping up.

The tech also said that any talk of a huge slowdown due to multiple recordings/TV's at same time or having all boxes with wifi on are largely overblown. He said it's very minimal at worst. He said if you have a big drop, it's usually a line issue.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:40 PM   #191
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Had my first recording conflict today. I never thought I'd run into conflict when you can record eight shows at a time, but I somehow hit the magic number 9 for the 7:00 hour tonight. Three of the kids shows on at the same time along with two sporting events I recorded caused the issue when paired up against our regular recordings.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #192
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Couple of side stories related to UVerse disconnect.

1. Called AT&T. Was actually relatively easy to disconnect. You just have to call them and then take the boxes to a UPS Store where UPS does all the boxing/sending. When I called AT&T, the lady asked why I was disconnecting the service. I told her Google Fiber. She said, 'Oh, I've heard about that. How is it?' I told her that the service was $120 for TV and 1GB internet. She said, 'That's a good deal! I've heard something about it, but didn't know they were installing yet.' Granted, she's a phone support person, but I'm a bit surprised at how little she knew about it.

2. Took the boxes into the UPS store. Just had to give them the boxes and my account # and they do the rest. I mentioned that it probably was a pretty good partnership to be the shipper for all UVerse boxes when they're returned. He said, 'You have no idea. Our revenue for Uverse TV box returns are up 200% at this store since Google Fiber hit this end of KC several months ago.'
Old 01-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #193
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Yeah, the return of AT&T boxes via UPS Store is pretty seamless. The one thing they do very well is get you to stop being a customer.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #194
Ragone
Pro Rookie

When I went to return time Warner box at the metro north location.. I was also told they will likely close that location as well.. Several employees discussing driving to independence location.

Dropped off directv return at post office today.. Glad to be rid of them both.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #195
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Must be some post-merger rumors. TWC doesn't serve Independence but Comcast does. Closing the north store would be a small white flag of surrender to Google.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #196
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Don't know why this is the case, but my PS4 Remote Play on my Vita is light-years better now that I have Google Fiber in the house. I'm guessing less resistance at any level is a good thing. No noticable latency at all.

The interfaces on phone and tablets are so seamless. It's so nice to have something that works so well in your pocket in all rooms so that you never have to look for remotes in couch cushions, on bed comforters, etc. Even my father in law with his moderate dementia can figure out how to control the TV on his iPhone. When dealing with those kinds of issues, you have no idea how helpful that is for the rest of us.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #197
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm working on a more in-depth review for my website, but my initial review of Google Fiber is mixed.

At top speed with a wired connection, goes pretty well. My Mac Book will hit 600-900 Mbps wired and 180 Mbps wireless. My crappy PC is getting 90 Mbps wired.

WiFi is a completely mixed bag. I'll typically get 25-50 Mbps on most wireless devices, sometimes up to 75 Mbps on my phone.

A couple of concerning points is that I have had a handful of times when speed has just vanished and I'll get less than 1 Mbps or have huge latency issues. Sometimes this slow down will last 5-30 minutes.

The TV services is better than I expected. Picture clarity is superb, and I think I'd give an edge to Google over Direct TV. The Guide is very smooth and fast. With uVerse and DirecTV whole-home DVRs, we would have a huge lag on the secondary boxes. There are little things wrong with the UI and menu functions that should be easy fixes at some point. The TV boxes do take forever to load -- just put a stopwatch on it, and it took 39 seconds from power on before a picture appeared.

The Nexus 7 tablet they throw in free is actually not bad. Casting video from mobile devices and the tablet is incredibly fast.

Compared to the competition, it's a huge upgrade. The TV service is actually an amazing value, maybe less so if you're a big HBO/Showtime fan since the pricing for those isn't great.

I thinkSteveMax58 had a great point about how the gigabit gets split up. There could be issues degrading my speed, but I expected to be able to routinely get much faster speeds than I'm seeing. That said, I'm still typically getting 25-50 Mbps on multiple devices at the same time, which is a far sight above and beyond what I've ever had before. Obviously my speed is limited by the fact that I'm going to places not designed for gigabit speed. But it also reinforces to me the current limited market for "gigabit applications" -- it's just not practical to design any app needing speeds greater than 25-50 Mbps.

All my whining aside, when this thing is humming it hums. It's pretty cool when you're on your phone and there is no lag with images and videos whatsoever. Just wish it was more consistent.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 01-17-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:02 PM   #198
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New cities added in the South.......

Google Fiber Blog

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-28-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #199
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
New cities added in the South.......

Google Fiber Blog

The Raleigh-Durham focus seems like it will initially be outside of my area (assuming the cities in the metro area listed are comprehensive, its raleigh and west to hit the actual triangle). Still, a positive step!

The previously mentioned fiber to Wake Forest initiative by a 3rd party company seems dead in the water. There was a lot of excitement about it for a short time and then they disappeared.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #200
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
The Raleigh-Durham focus seems like it will initially be outside of my area (assuming the cities in the metro area listed are comprehensive, its raleigh and west to hit the actual triangle). Still, a positive step!

The previously mentioned fiber to Wake Forest initiative by a 3rd party company seems dead in the water. There was a lot of excitement about it for a short time and then they disappeared.

They add cities as they go along. As long as you're a decent size city in the area, it'll get there.