Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #51
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You realize that nearly everything in the column is pretty standard advice for any professional social media, right? About all he's done is tweak the verbiage for sports stuff in a few places & break bigger points down into smaller ones in order to get to one hundred.

There's a few points in there that are kinda contentious but there's not much in there that's exactly rocket science.

Problem is, the vast majority of the Twittersphere isn't as savvy as they could/should be, even basic stuff is probably helpful for those smart enough to follow good advice.

I don't think you understand. He could be quoting from the Book of Twitiquette. The reaction to it is because it's him, not whether what he is communicating is right or wrong.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-07-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #52
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm going to try to give up my dependence on ESPN for sports news. I am already watching NFL Network and MLB Network for those sports.

What should I do about the web? What other decent overall sports websites are there for daily sports updates? Any recommendations?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #53
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I just come here
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #54
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I'm going to try to give up my dependence on ESPN for sports news. I am already watching NFL Network and MLB Network for those sports.

What should I do about the web? What other decent overall sports websites are there for daily sports updates? Any recommendations?

CNNSI, or yahoosports. I stopped following ESPN a long time ago.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #55
Logan
Head Coach

Twitter. Do some searches online and you can find the accounts of all your teams' beat writers. Then you have the major outlet guys who will also break news. For the most part, even the ESPN guys keep it pretty legit (the actual reporter types, not the Bayless/SAS crowd).

The only sports coverage I watch on an actual TV are live events. I'll catch highlights online if something meaningful happens or if there's something particular I want to see. There's just no need to be held hostage on your couch for 30 or 60 minutes while some producer decides what you should or shouldn't see.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #56
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It looks like old NFL Primetime has been nerfed even more.

First it was moved to 11pm a few years ago when NBC got the rights.

Then it was chopped up as part of the 11pm Sportscenter and you only got about half the games and not all of the NFL coverage was part of "The Blitz".

Now, there's not even Chris Berman. I like Tom Jackson but those two played off each other so well and were part of what made the show work

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #57
britrock88
Pro Starter

TSN.ca/NHL
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #58
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It looks like old NFL Primetime has been nerfed even more.

First it was moved to 11pm a few years ago when NBC got the rights.

Then it was chopped up as part of the 11pm Sportscenter and you only got about half the games and not all of the NFL coverage was part of "The Blitz".

Now, there's not even Chris Berman. I like Tom Jackson but those two played off each other so well and were part of what made the show work

SI

I know Berman called the 2nd MNF game this week so maybe he'll be back next week. I enjoy those two doing highlights so I hope that's the case.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #59
Logan
Head Coach

Watch Mike Francesa Doze Off During An Interview
Old 09-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #60
RedKingGold
College Starter

I applaud ESPN for its John Clayton and ponytail "This is Sportscenter" commercial. Pretty neat to see ESPN acknowledge that Internet inside joke.

If you haven't seen it, YouTube it now and also look for the outtakes. It doesn't hurt that the "This is Sportscenter" spots are one of the most original and funniest things ESPN has done.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #61
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

ESPN Personality Gets Mad at 'Onion' Article He Thought Was Real
Old 10-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #62
Logan
Head Coach

Rovell article:

Expensive dinner for Bears' rookies - Sports Business News, Analysis - Dollars Blog - ESPN Playbook - ESPN

Then of course we hear:

Quote:
darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell

Bears’ @iidonije tweets that the steak dinner bill was not real. Was meant to scare the rookies.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #63
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I'm pretty sure that Rovell also mis-tweeted that someone had died. I saw a mention of it the other day, but never saw the actual tweet.

EDIT: He had incorrectly assumed that Alex Karras had died.

http://deadspin.com/5950101/darren-r...-plays-it-cool

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner

Last edited by Grover : 10-10-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't think I ever realized just how bad Matt Millen sucks as an analyst until tonight, but I think I've figured out why it took me so long.

I thought he was Mike Golic (who I had been wondering when they moved him into college football coverage from Mike & Mike In the Morning)
Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #65
korme
Go Reds

I would also like to pile on and say Darren Rovell does suck

And good for Russillo
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #66
stevew
Hall Of Famer

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #67
stevew
Hall Of Famer

When SAS is "uncomfortable with where we just went" I'm just speechless.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #68
korme
Go Reds

That was bad.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #69
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

why the fuck does he even care about his private life?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #70
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That's just so very... Rob Parker.

The guy used to write for the Detroit News for many years until he was finally fired a few years ago for making a very ill advised comment during a Rod Marinelli press conference. I think he asked Rod Marinelli whether he wished his dauhter had married a better defensive coordinator, because the defensive coordinator was his son-in-law.

He's the typical sports columnist who makes a living just trying to be a contrarian (e.g., the local sports teams are all horrible/finds the negative in everything) or say outrageous stuff.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #71
azjoe_02
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
When SAS is "uncomfortable with where we just went" I'm just speechless.

yes
azjoe_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #72
Radii
Head Coach

Why the hell is this a "top story" on espn.com???

Les Miles of LSU Tigers is most popular college football coach on Twitter -- report - ESPN

For fuck's sake, the headline is "Les Miles Popular on Twitter" ...
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #73
Logan
Head Coach

National Radio Announcers Just Couldn't Believe The Ravens Let The Clock Expire At The End Of The First OT Period
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #74
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

meh, I'm not gonna kill someone for not knowing what is a very obscure rule.

That being said, during a break when it was looking like it may end tied they should have asked what happens.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #75
digamma
Torchbearer

My wife and I were listening to this. It was amazing.

To Lathum's point, I didn't think this was that obscure of a rule--you have to play until there is a winner in OT, but you are exactly right that you need to make sure you are up on the basics of the OT rules before they have an effect on the broadcast.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #76
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I was at a work dinner and we were all talking abou tthe rules. Obviously we all knew there couldnt be a tie, but were all stumped as to if the rekick, cointoss, etc... or just treat it like the second quarter.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #77
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Was Donovan McNabb consulting on the broadcast?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #78
spleen1015
Coordinator

The ref explained the rules at the OT coin toss.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #79
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I was at a work dinner and we were all talking abou tthe rules. Obviously we all knew there couldnt be a tie, but were all stumped as to if the rekick, cointoss, etc... or just treat it like the second quarter.

yeah, I had no idea either. The CBS guys eventually explained it, but it was late in the quarter
Old 01-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #80
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
The ref explained the rules at the OT coin toss.

albeit, terribly
Old 01-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #81
Logan
Head Coach

I think there's a difference in being unsure of the rules as you watch, and being unsure of the rules as you commentate to the point where you are flabbergasted and seriously confused how a team could let the clock run out instead of taking a chance at winning the game.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #82
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
albeit, terribly

It was a tad confusing at first but he clarified and eventually said we're playing OT like it is a game. We'll play 2 quarters, have a halftime then play 2 more quarters. Something to that effect.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #83
Logan
Head Coach

Just read this article and was reminded of the discussion on here of why Rovell is hated so much.

Darren Rovell does not understand that he is hated

Last edited by Logan : 02-11-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #84
Logan
Head Coach

I really enjoyed this article:

Mike Shanahan, the Super Bowl and PTI

Quote:
This is the story of how a poorly worded tweet eventually led to a completely bogus segment on PTI. And it’s perhaps a cautionary tale for those of us who make our living in the world of 140-character quotes and pithy SEO headlines.

And a somewhat similar one that Deadspin ran a week ago:

How ESPN Pulled A Bullshit Colin Kaepernick Story Out Of Thin Air
Old 08-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #85
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It must be fun to be the one running the echo chamber.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #86
digamma
Torchbearer

@darrenrovell Johnny Manziel is great for college football. The fan in me is happy we'll see on the field. The reporter in me is very proud of our work.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #87
Logan
Head Coach

I miss this thread. Time to bring it back.

These Emails Confirm That ESPN's Darren Rovell Is A Sensitive Penis
Old 05-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #88
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I follow quite a few college football writers and I have to admit, it must suck to say anything and then have hordes of people just take shots at you. It's quite amusing when I see them shoot back at the fans. But what I find annoying is when they think their thought process is the only correct one because they are a professional writer and "fans" dont understand the game like they do.

I've had the fortune/unfourtune to meet more of these writers at games & scrimmages. Needless to say their arrogance does not go unnoticed. That includes sideline reporters like Alex Flanagan who is even more beautiful in person but you can tell she's one of those I'm hot and I know I am hot women.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #89
miami_fan
Coordinator

Stephen A Smith heading to the Mad Dog Channel

Sirius Paying ESPN “Licensing Fee” for Stephen A. Smith’s Show on Mad Dog Radio | The Big Lead

Quote:
ESPN finally announced news that’s a couple weeks old – Stephen A. Smith is leaving the network’s New York radio station (98.7) for Sirius radio.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #90
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Mrs. A was at a bookstore the other day and saw an NFL preview magazine that had the Saints as the cover story. She texted and asked if I wanted it, and I said no.

In 2014, when (1) multiple local reporters attend every open practice and send real-time tweets about what is happening, (2) message boards like this one (as well as team-specific boards) exist to provide opinions about sports, and (3) any story with a hint of newsworthyness will be overplayed on TV for 24 hours and then forgotten, the idea of getting sports news from a magazine seems very strange.

I am not saying that there is not a place for the kind of in-depth reporting and long-form pieces that work well in a magazine (that Jared Lorenzen piece from a couple of weeks ago is a great example). That kind of stuff is great, and the TV/Twitter culture cannot come close to creating it.

But in terms of asking the more basic question of "what is happening with my favorite team right now?," I do not see how anything can compete with what the internet is giving us, for better or worse.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #91
Logan
Head Coach

Basically the only time I'll buy a magazine like that is if I'm about to get on a plane and don't have anything to read. Even then, I can load up my phone with items to read before going into airplane mode. So it's basically out of laziness or nostalgia, much more so then "getting news". Sometimes it's just nice to flip through a magazine, as anyone who has read that month's Skymall for the 4th time can attest.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #92
Logan
Head Coach

I had the pleasure of being on Twitter as this was playing out yesterday. Such a dumb prick.

Darren Rovell Can't Tell A Two From A Five
Old 09-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #93
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I had the pleasure of being on Twitter as this was playing out yesterday. Such a dumb prick.

Darren Rovell Can't Tell A Two From A Five

Haha. You know what though - lost in all the Rovell bashing is KD's classy response where he doesn't go all crazy or say something stupid. Kudos to him.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #94
Logan
Head Coach

Big news out of Bristol, as ESPN announces they won't be renewing Bill Simmons' contract. He'll be a FA after September.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #95
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Big news out of Bristol, as ESPN announces they won't be renewing Bill Simmons' contract. He'll be a FA after September.

Hmm. What does this do to Grantland? Does he own the property, or does ESPN?

Old 05-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #96
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

I think ESPN does, Skipper commented that Grantland long ago moved from being a Bill Simmons site to something that can stand on his own. More interesting will be what happens to the contributors, do they follow the pied piper or do they stay on at Grantland.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #97
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

ESPN does. I'm sure some people will follow him to wherever he lands once their own contracts are up, especially if he gets the backing to start up his own similar site. But he's getting a little older and I wonder if he'll have any interest in starting from scratch again when he can get paid to put in much less work.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #98
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, this is an interesting development. Makes me think of a tactic a lot of bigger companies use with extremely talented (yet somewhat uncontrollable) people. They use them to build something - then once it is built decide they don't want to pay them. It will be an interesting gamble as Grantland's success is largely on Bill's shoulders. I listen to a lot of podcasts and read some articles there, but if Bill leaves - my consumption will greatly decrease.

What's interesting is that both Bill (with his new podcast Bill Don't Lie) and Andy Greenwald/Chris Ryan (with their new podcast Watch the Thrones) have already broken free of the main Grantland podcast feeds to start independent ones. Makes me think that atleast a portion of Grantland (Andy, Chris, Sal, maybe Zach Lowe and maybe Bill Barnwell) will end up leaving and going with Bill.

Last edited by Arles : 05-08-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #99
Grover
Pro Starter

The whole Simmons leaving ESPN has me digging through the archives and reading all of Hunter S. Thompson's Page 2 stuff.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #100
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Yeah, this is an interesting development. Makes me think of a tactic a lot of bigger companies use with extremely talented (yet somewhat uncontrollable) people. They use them to build something - then once it is built decide they don't want to pay them. It will be an interesting gamble as Grantland's success is largely on Bill's shoulders. I listen to a lot of podcasts and read some articles there, but if Bill leaves - my consumption will greatly decrease.

What's interesting is that both Bill (with his new podcast Bill Don't Lie) and Andy Greenwald/Chris Ryan (with their new podcast Watch the Thrones) have already broken free of the main Grantland podcast feeds to start independent ones. Makes me think that atleast a portion of Grantland (Andy, Chris, Sal, maybe Zach Lowe and maybe Bill Barnwell) will end up leaving and going with Bill.

Yeah, it would honestly not take much more than one or two of those guys leaving for the site to be unviable.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote