Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

ESPN announces ESPNW..

ESPN for Women..

ESPN aims for female audience with espnW - USATODAY.com

Apparently it will start as a blog, but they're kicking around ideas to make it their own network.

My thoughts on what the tag line should be:

"ESPNW, because we didn't learn our lesson last time with ESPN Hollywood."

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #2
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I don't believe anything until I hear it on Fox Sports for Jews.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
Atocep
Coordinator

Remember when "The Ocho" was a joke? That was about 5 ESPN channels ago.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I hope they do it actually, and I hope they make a legit effort to get as much womens pro sports games on there as possible. The only female pro sports league I actually enjoy watching is WPS (soccer), but I think overall it would be good for all girls to have real access to watching these leagues. I am sure I am the minority though.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It will start as a blog but might be its own network? Those seem some pretty far steps apart.

I could see it maybe going ESPN3 and being streaming online. But I'd suspec even that would be a huge money loser unless they showed everyone else's productions (costs money to film sports and all).

Then again, if it were a network- it'd be the WNBA channel as ESPN already has the rights and would gladly ship it off the main channel, I suspect. But it would quickly succumbed to crap creep after a month of abysmally low ratings and we'd get all sorts of tangentially related slop in an effort to catch that lightning in a bottle that can deliver, oh, a 0.7 rating so they'd have something to play 6 hours a day. And your cable prices would go up another $1 for the privilege because it would be a way to roll a price increase in ESPN into something else.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:31 AM   #6
spleen1015
Coordinator

If women were really interested in watching women sports, they would be doing it already.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
If women were really interested in watching women sports, they would be doing it already.

Really? Because my daughter and I were both really interested in watch WPS games and it was kind of a pain in the ass, and only happened when either A) my internet connection didn't suck that day or B) We paid extra to have the package that includes FSC and we saw one game of random teams a week.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the ratings would be that of men's sports, even NHL or MLS. It would be nice to see more of it though. Out of 14 girls on my U12 girls soccer team they all watched the World Cup, only my daughter knew WPS existed until recently, and I am sure she is the only who has been able to see any of it. The ones I have talked to about it show interest in it though. The US Womens U20 World Cup was on more mainstream ESPN though and was watched by some of them.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Soccer isn't the best argument. I love La Liga, Bundesliga, Champions League and especially Copa America games (aka high-level mens games) yet I still have to jump through all those hoops. New England was in the Superliga final and it wasn't on any English-language channel in Boston.

EDIT - I will add that I would have no problem with ESPN having more live (or even tape-delayed) sporting events during non-primetime hours, but I don't want it interfering with sports I do care about or taking up large amounts of Sportscenter. But based off the way ESPN deals with the WNBA, they'll either go all or nothing... and based off their programming trend they'd rather have multiple hours of video of guys sitting around talking on the radio than sports. ESPN3 has been great in this regard, and that might be your best hope.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-01-2010 at 07:38 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I would never watch women's sports on my own, but thanks to my daughters, I have started watching softball and basketball. Almost exclusively, we've watched it (or recorded it) for my older daughter to better understand the game and specific game situations, etc. I'm a firm believer in watching as much of a sport as you can at as early an age as you can so that "the game" sinks in and rules, situations, etc., become intuitive. Especially for girls, who are on the whole less athletic and less instinctive in game situations (from my perspective over the past 4-5 years), this is crucial. Even during MLB games, if I see a particular hitting, baserunning, pitching, etc., approach that I view as a "teachable moment," I'll record it and show my daughter later. I think that kind of thing really helps.

So yeah - I'd be all for a channel that shows a bunch of women's college sports or even expands some of the coverage they've given to college and association softball leagues. That would be great. If I didn't have daughters...not so much.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
Easy Mac

So I guess the channel name would stand for Entertainment and Sports Programming Nobody's Watching.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think it's a good move, especially when they get a network out there going. They'll be able to run this as a lesbian network without taking the flack of it being a lesbian network.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

ESPNW original programming presents...

The L Word - proper technique for shooting a Layup
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #13
JediKooter
Coordinator

I thought they already had a channel, it's called Lifetime...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lifetime is for abused heterosexual women.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #15
JediKooter
Coordinator

Ah.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #16
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

While I'm not sure I agree that they'd be doing it already (it seems hard to find any women's sports other than WNBA on TV, but I must confess I don't look for them), I can say that I have no desire to watch most women's sports that are on TV. If they showed any women's league soccer (or more women's college soccer), I might be inclined. I have no interest in WNBA, so that's out. I enjoy watching tennis (women's and men's), but I only really end up watching are the major tournaments, where they show both.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #17
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't get the impression from the article that it is going to be slanted towards women's sports at all. It looked like it will be blogs and articles about things like the spelling bee, cheerleading, working out, yoga, and women talking about being women (a la Oprah but with female athletes). Correct me if I am wrong but there is only a passing mention of women's sports in the entire article.

Last edited by panerd : 10-01-2010 at 07:32 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote