Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

RIP Cedric Benson 1982-2019

Only 36 years old? Damn

Cedric Benson death: Former Texas, NFL RB dies in accident at 36 | SI.com
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
Atocep
Coordinator

Wow

I was stationed at Goodfellow AFB for 6 months in 1999. Ced was a junior at nearby Midland Lee if I remember correctly. As a young Army soldier I didn't have much to do in my free time other than read newspapers and play Front Office Football. Ced Benson stuck out because he was constantly being written about and talked about locally. That led to me following his stats weekly and it seemed like he was rushing for over 250 yards and scoring 4-5 TDs a game. He was going to be the next great UT running back and was already being mentioned as one of the best high school players ever.

After Goodfellow I ended up in San Antonio which made it easy to continue to follow him. As a Bears fan I admit being disappointed when we drafted him (I wanted Braylon Edwards to slip to 4 because that guy was going to be a superstar). Regardless, reading about Cedric Benson was something that helped pass the time during a very stressful time of my life and I always had an appreciation for Ced as a player and wanted to see him succeed.

RIP

Last edited by Atocep : 08-18-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:29 AM   #4
davekeller
n00b

So sad for his family and our Longhorn Family.