Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2005, 09:32 PM   #201
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
So, what do you mean by "fixed," there? That the poor recruits will be gone away, or that (hopefully), they'll be distributed better. Those suckers are really needed if you're going to have any fun with a very low prestige team.
The latter, of course. I think the advice from the beta team was correct - I just didn't have enough time to properly implement the solution. It's not that far off, though, and I should be able to fix it by adjusting the distribution logic slightly.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:21 PM   #202
ScottVib
High School Varsity

I successfully added conferences during the beta (even added bowl games). There is a toggle in the database for the autobids, however this function was not tested much (if at all) during the beta.

The schedules however right now would be missing for the 5 and 6 team conferences (I believe there is actually a 14 team conference schedule as well). I have been lobbying for some additional alignments (to allow anything from 1A-3 & NAIA) but anything added would have to come via patch and probably not the first one (just guessing that the first one will focus on key issues and not so much on adding stuff). (To that end I did dig up some sample schedules from some of the missing alignments)

Hope this helps.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:38 PM   #203
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Purdue ball, Q1, 1-10-PUR35 (00:51) 10-7
Offense: Short Pass, Set: Pro Set, Play: PS-TE-rollout-SE-in
Defense: Stop Pass, Set: Nickel, Play: Nickel-pass-DZ
QB M. Chandler scrambles out of the pocket and gets sacked for a 6 yard loss (DE O. Burgess).

Purdue ball, Q1, 2-16-PUR29 (00:35) 10-7
Offense: Medium Pass, Set: Double TE, Play: DTE-SE-playact-corner
Defense: Stop Pass, Set: Dime, Play: Dime-pass-DZ-B6
M. Chandler has his 9 yard pass intercepted by J. O'Neil at the PUR 38. He returns it 2 yards
to the Purdue 36.

Roughing the Passer against DT Dave Watkins on Illinois. The Penalty is for 15 yards, and
an automatic first down.
The Offense will accept the penalty. It is now Third and 13 at the Purdue 42.

Illinois ball, Q1, 3-13-PUR42 (00:23) 7-10
Offense: Short Pass, Set: I Form, Play: I-SE-curls
Defense: Stop Pass, Set: 3-4, Play: 34-pass-DZ
QB A. Clancy throws an incomplete pass to WR T. Smith (ILB H. Capers).

Illinois ball, Q1, 4-13-PUR42 (00:07) 7-10
Sean Klingler Punts 24 yards to the Purdue 18 yard line, where it gets downed.

I don't see stuff like this nearly as often as I do the bizarro 4th down logic near the goal line, but this has come up about once a season that I've noticed.

I've heard a number of people complain about the injuries, but one thing that I haven't seen yet relates to the computer managing the roster. If you leave it for the computer to manage then the injuries really start to add up, since it appears that the computer plays anyone who isn't "OUT", thus getting those guys hurt worse. The only way I've been able to keep the injuries in check is by being very aggressive in resting questionable/doubtful every time.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:52 PM   #204
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
Professional teams will have 7 to 10 starters out at times. Look at what has happened to the Eagles or Patriots? I think people forget how common injuries occur in football.

Packers have lost 3 starting tailbacks alone. Their top WR, their TE and who knows what else.

i know that. the college game is different, and has over 15 more scholarships in real life than we do in the game (we get like 66 right?). i think it was this thread, i even mentioned how this isn't the nfl we're talking about. guys don't go out nearly as often, even close
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:04 AM   #205
hoopsguy
General Manager

Here is another example of the penalty being applied incorrectly - this one in a huge situation:
Quote:
Minnesota ball, Q4, 4-10-ILL14 (01:51) 17-24
Offense: Medium Pass, Set: Shotgun, Play: SG-RB-streak-WR3-in
Defense: Normal, Set: 4-3, Play: 43-norm-MZ-B5,6
QB D. Huber gets sacked for a 4 yard loss (DE K. Carter).

Roughing the Passer against OLB Carlos Ninowski on Illinois. The Penalty is for 7 yards, and
an automatic first down.
The Offense will accept the penalty. It is now First and 10 at the Illinois 11.

Illinois ball, Q4, 1-10-ILL11 (01:38) 24-17
Offense: Outside Run, Set: Wing T, Play: T-HB-option-RE
Defense: Stop Pass, Set: Dime, Play: Dime-pass-MZ
RB J. Couch runs right end for 15 yards (CB F. Stokes).
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:10 AM   #206
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

and i would like to clarify, its not the number of injuries, its the severity. guys who are out is the problem
Old 12-12-2005, 12:12 AM   #207
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy
I've heard a number of people complain about the injuries, but one thing that I haven't seen yet relates to the computer managing the roster. If you leave it for the computer to manage then the injuries really start to add up, since it appears that the computer plays anyone who isn't "OUT", thus getting those guys hurt worse. The only way I've been able to keep the injuries in check is by being very aggressive in resting questionable/doubtful every time.

I mentioned this when the first demo was released, no one agreed with me as being a problem when I posted it.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:22 AM   #208
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

When do u get to change the position of athletes, because I would love to have some of these corners play WR...
nfg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:27 AM   #209
Swaggs
Coordinator

Are the bowl matchups always the same or do the conferences arrange new deals from time to time, based on their prestige?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:18 AM   #210
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
The latter, of course. I think the advice from the beta team was correct - I just didn't have enough time to properly implement the solution. It's not that far off, though, and I should be able to fix it by adjusting the distribution logic slightly.

Will this fix the WV and Wyoming issue as well?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:22 AM   #211
Bee
Pro Starter

Had my first CTD last night. The third or fourth week of recruiting and it was during the CPU recruiting part. Very annoying since I hadn't saved since week 5 of the season. I hate to replay seasons.

I think I'm going to shelf the game for now and wait for the first patch. I think the game has a lot of potential and will be a great purchase after it's patched, but right now I'm just seeing too many (minor) issues for me to enjoy the game.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:52 AM   #212
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I think I'm going to shelf the game for now and wait for the first patch. I think the game has a lot of potential and will be a great purchase after it's patched, but right now I'm just seeing too many (minor) issues for me to enjoy the game.
I'm still enjoying it on a macro level, and hopefully the micro issues that impact game-to-game play will be resolved soon. I mentioned this sort of thing in the big thread, but when I'm playing a created low-prestige Columbus State University and I see an e-mail like this, it tells me that the AI knows what it is doing in recruiting, and makes me *very* hopeful for this game.
Quote:
Players committing to Columbus State

RB Dean Settle

TE Tyrone Senser

ILB Alvin Cronin

DT Pettis Thomason

Players recruited that committed to other schools

FS Royd Hopson - Ole Miss

QB Cody Willis - South Carolina

QB Pisa Scibelli - Louisville

QB Kendrick Chatham - Arkansas State

RB Omari Garrard - Florida Atlantic

WR Gern Piccone - Louisiana Tech

OT Pervis Stingley - Troy

WR Woody Stacy - Middle Tenn St

OLB Arnaz Hastings - Troy

DE Forrest Roaches - Arkansas State

FS Wilson Fazande - Florida Int
Old 12-12-2005, 08:15 AM   #213
Bee
Pro Starter

I didn't spend much time on recruiting, but the little time I spent there it seemed to be relatively solid. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more indication as to how I stood with the recruits though. I would prefer a slightly revised scale on recruit interest. It's a little annoying to me to keep losing out on recruits who have a 10 interest and I was heavily recruiting them early. In my mind, someone with a 10 interest should more or less be a sure thing. I think it would be better to more fully use the 1-10 scale of interest and make 10 less common and have a lot more guys in the 4 to 8 range. From my view, the full range of interest ratings wasn't really be used to full advantage. That being said, I think the recruiting was pretty solid and like SD I still have a lot of hope for this game.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:23 AM   #214
mooreadamc
Mascot

Would a casual college football fan enjoy this game?

I've enjoyed many recruiting type games in the past such as TDBC and FBCB. I don't watch alot of college football (prefer the prop game) so my knowledge isn't the strongest.

I didn't know that much about soccer either until I got into the CM/FM series. I can say that I enjoy soccer alot more after playing these games. Will Bowl bound do the same for me?

Just curious if anyone else in a smilar situation enjoys this game.

I am playing the demo as we speak and am enjoying it, just not sure if I would keep enjoying it.
mooreadamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:44 AM   #215
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

This game is friggin GREAT, Thanks Arlie...

The problem with injuries is very easy to fix, just drop all of your players starting time to about 62%-67% with QB at 85% and remember to setup your Special Teams Coverage depth chart with all of your backup players...
Old 12-12-2005, 08:56 AM   #216
jonesz
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I didn't spend much time on recruiting, but the little time I spent there it seemed to be relatively solid. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more indication as to how I stood with the recruits though. I would prefer a slightly revised scale on recruit interest. It's a little annoying to me to keep losing out on recruits who have a 10 interest and I was heavily recruiting them early. In my mind, someone with a 10 interest should more or less be a sure thing. I think it would be better to more fully use the 1-10 scale of interest and make 10 less common and have a lot more guys in the 4 to 8 range. From my view, the full range of interest ratings wasn't really be used to full advantage. That being said, I think the recruiting was pretty solid and like SD I still have a lot of hope for this game.

Totally agree with having something like this. I'm having an extremely hard time knowing where I fit. Another nice feature might be to have the recruit narrow down his schools, ala TCY. It would give you a better understanding of where you stand as he continues to narrow down his choices.

In addition, I'm still struggling a little "trusting" the results that are coming from the game. There seems to be a disproportionate number of upsets. I'm frequently seeing a non ranked 4-4 team paste a #3 ranked 8-0 team or similar. I agree upsets should happen, but they should be just that, upsets, not the norm. It seems very rare for a very good (top 10) team to go through a season without encountering one large upset. I can see them getting shocked once in a while by a mediocre team, but not virtually every season. I've played about three seasons and seen such things as #3 Miami get beat at home by 3-5 Georgia Tech by 17 pts, #2 LSU getting beat by 2-3 Mississippi, etc, etc. It just seems that every season each high ranked team is going to get "stung" by someone on their schedule, and in most cases it is in addition or instead of losing to another highly ranked opponent.
jonesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #217
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesz
In addition, I'm still struggling a little "trusting" the results that are coming from the game. There seems to be a disproportionate number of upsets. I'm frequently seeing a non ranked 4-4 team paste a #3 ranked 8-0 team or similar. I agree upsets should happen, but they should be just that, upsets, not the norm. It seems very rare for a very good (top 10) team to go through a season without encountering one large upset. I can see them getting shocked once in a while by a mediocre team, but not virtually every season. I've played about three seasons and seen such things as #3 Miami get beat at home by 3-5 Georgia Tech by 17 pts, #2 LSU getting beat by 2-3 Mississippi, etc, etc. It just seems that every season each high ranked team is going to get "stung" by someone on their schedule, and in most cases it is in addition or instead of losing to another highly ranked opponent.

I don't think I spent enough time with the game to say for sure, but I also had the same feeling. It seemed to me there was too much parity between the good teams and the bad teams. I kept seeing "cakewalk" teams beating top 25 teams. While this should happen occasionally, in the 3 seasons I played it was pretty common. The reason I attribute this to "too much parity" was that I seemed to see a significant number of minor upsets as well (things like a #90 team beating a #25). Like I said, I don't think I played enough to know if this was the case for sure, but too much parity was my gut feeling.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:09 AM   #218
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I don't think I spent enough time with the game to say for sure, but I also had the same feeling. It seemed to me there was too much parity between the good teams and the bad teams. I kept seeing "cakewalk" teams beating top 25 teams. While this should happen occasionally, in the 3 seasons I played it was pretty common. The reason I attribute this to "too much parity" was that I seemed to see a significant number of minor upsets as well (things like a #90 team beating a #25). Like I said, I don't think I played enough to know if this was the case for sure, but too much parity was my gut feeling.
The "too much parity" concern is one I share, but it hasn't helped my crappy Columbus State Cougars.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:52 AM   #219
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Recruiting... Can someone answer a few questions.

Ok so I have a set budget per week, so I guess I should use all my money each week looking at players. What does scouting a player do. At what stage do you offer scholarships. Do you scout/recruit the same players each week till they accept a scholarship. For some reason all of this doesn't strike me right aways as to what the steps are to land a player. Thanx GreenMonster..
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:58 AM   #220
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'm also shelving until the bugs are worked out.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:07 AM   #221
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Is there a way to way to view box scores of the past season once you're into recruiting? I don't have the game open right now, but there are a couple of snippets from the logs I'd like to post of a couple of other things I noticed but had forgot to mention:

A big one was timeout logic. I saw some very odd timeout choices made, usually in deadball situations. For instances, in one game when I was down I caused a turnover and immediately called timout at the end of the play. I've seen other instances of odd timeouts being called following fumbles/turnovers late in the game.

I think some of the upsets people are talking about might be due in part to the field goal bug. I think that is a showstopper right now because good teams that drive inside the 10 are passing up points and letting bad teams stay closer. Once that happens, any number of things can happen. I know my team won some games it shouldn't have because the better team kept going for the TD on 4th and goal from the 8 and failing to get points.

I think the game has a lot of promise, but it's hard to tell from one demo season. I hope the demo is updated after the first patch and I'll try it again.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #222
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Is there a way to way to view box scores of the past season once you're into recruiting?
I think they remain in your savegame area in a sub-folder entitles "BoxScores" or something like that.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:15 AM   #223
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Arles,

Can you briefly go over the dependencies in the database for moving teams around? I played a season this weekend with three teams added (Appy St, No. Iowa, U Mass) and with massive realignment (hello old WAC!) Everything seemed fine up until the end of the season when I got a rte 91 when compiling the season stats. From further invistigation, I'm thinking it was related to moving Notre Dame from independent to the Big 10 because they ended up with 14 games played due to playing Michigan State and Purdue twice (one due to conf scheduling and one due to an existing series). Before I try another season, is there anything else to watch out for? I figured out that the IndepRule field was for ND's agreement with the Big East, so I deleted that, as well as deleting the notation in the Bowls table. but I'm concerned that there may be something else I'm missing. Thanks.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #224
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Quote:
The problem with injuries is very easy to fix, just drop all of your players starting time to about 62%-67% with QB at 85%

i shouldn't have to do that. how many real life teams use their starting ol 67% of the snaps? how many don't use them 100%, even. how many teams put their backup qb in 15% of the time, in a normal game, if the starter is healthy?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:22 PM   #225
ScottVib
High School Varsity

In the scheduled game table, make sure that you delete any pre-existing games for Notre Dame.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:27 PM   #226
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

ok, i put all starters at 50% playing time, still getting hammered. 9 guys hurt in week 7, 11 after week 8. all but one have been recommended to sit. this is consistent with every league i've tried so far. once in 5 years, fine, but not every single year
Old 12-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #227
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen
i shouldn't have to do that. how many real life teams use their starting ol 67% of the snaps? how many don't use them 100%, even. how many teams put their backup qb in 15% of the time, in a normal game, if the starter is healthy?
I do agree with that. To me, 100 percent playing time means that the player will play as much as they can, but can be subbed out when their endurance is too low.

But I think the problem with the injuries that people are seeing is that if you play a player with an injury AT ALL, that player will either not heal or develop a more substantial injury.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #228
Capital
High School Varsity

I just purchased the game and I am trying to use Ixnay's team logos. I did the following but cannot get the logos to appear:

I copied the "team" and "black" folders to the Helmets folder in the Graphics/Service section. Is there anything else I should be doing?

I also copied the bowl logos to the Grpahics/Bowl directory. I'm guessing that I won't see them until the end of the season. Correct???

Thanks in advance...
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:13 PM   #229
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Thanks for the insight on where to find the box scores and game logs, SkyDog. This was the game ending exchange that could use some tighenting up.
Quote:
Arkansas State Timeout!

Kansas State ball, Q4, 1-10-ARKS30 (00:41) 33-27
Offense: Inside Run, Set: Shotgun, Play: SG-HB-draw-C
Defense: Stop Run, Set: 4-3, Play: 43-run-SZ-B5
RB M. Teresa runs right tackle for 1 yard (OLB R. Wetnight).

Arkansas State Timeout!

Kansas State ball, Q4, 2-9-ARKS29 (00:32) 33-27
Offense: Inside Run, Set: Quads, Play: Q-HB-pitch-LG
Defense: Normal, Set: 4-3, Play: 43-norm-TMan
RB N. Jimoh runs left tackle for 6 yards He fumbles the ball after a hit by J. McClellion.
It's recovered by D. Lepsis of Arkansas State. He returns it 0 yards to the Arkansas State 23.

Arkansas State Timeout!

Arkansas State ball, Q4, 1-10-ARKS23 (00:24) 27-33
Offense: Short Pass, Set: Shotgun, Play: SG-HB-screen
Defense: Stop Pass, Set: Dime, Play: Dime-pass-MZ-B6,8,11
QB K. Gibson completes a 6 yard screen to RB L. Darnall (SS V. Strock).

Arkansas State ball, Q4, 1-10-ARKS23 (00:16) 27-33
Offense: Short Pass, Set: Shotgun, Play: SG-HB-screen
Defense: Stop Pass, Set: Dime, Play: Dime-pass-MZ-B6,8,11
The QB spikes the ball to stop the clock!

Arkansas State ball, Q4, 3-4-ARKS29 (00:16) 27-33
Offense: Medium Pass, Set: Quads, Play: Q-WR3-ins
Defense: Stop Pass, Set: Nickel, Play: Nickel-pass-Man-B5,6
QB K. Gibson completes a 22 yard in to WR D. Nimmo (CB B. Ortego, FS C. Bjornson).

Arkansas State ball, Q4, 1-10-KSU49 (00:04) 27-33
Offense: Medium Pass, Set: Shotgun, Play: SG-SE-outs
Defense: Normal, Set: 4-4, Play: 44-norm-Man-B6
QB K. Gibson completes a 1 yard post to WR M. Ashton (ILB A. McFadden).

Arkansas State ball, Q4, 1-10-KSU49 (00:00) 27-33
Offense: Medium Pass, Set: Shotgun, Play: SG-SE-outs
Defense: Normal, Set: 4-4, Play: 44-norm-Man-B6
The QB spikes the ball to stop the clock!

First, Kansas State took over 1st and 10 with 41 seconds left and I have two timeouts left. I am not calling my own plays. In theory, K-State could kneel down on first and second down while I burn my time outs, then kneel down on third and run the clock out. This happens in real life with coaches make dumb moves like this, but it should happen very rarely. This was my first game, so unfortunately it stood out.

Second, Arkansas State calls a time out after recovering the fumble. This was a dead ball situation, so they shouldn't have needed to call a timeout. If they called the timeout to avoid a delay of game penalty that's a nice touch, but I don't think that's what happened.

Third, I'm glad that the AI let me run a play with 00:00 on the clock, but I was ready to strangle my QB for spiking the ball the stop the clock. That would have been like Colorado spiking the ball on fifth down in Columbia.

This is just some tightening up in the gameplay AI I'd like to see.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:49 PM   #230
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Husker-4-Life
This game is friggin GREAT, Thanks Arlie...

The problem with injuries is very easy to fix, just drop all of your players starting time to about 62%-67% with QB at 85% and remember to setup your Special Teams Coverage depth chart with all of your backup players...

I don't get this, though. I don't want my backup QB playing 15% of every game.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:59 PM   #231
Flasch186
Coordinator

so Arles, Hi, when is that first patch. Ive held off starting a career cuz I dont want to fall in love with a roster of players only to have it wasted on a patch. Thanks.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:20 PM   #232
Easy Mac

gotta love the internet. I was looking on my sports sims site, and some of the referrals was from searching "bowl bound college football + crack" and bowl bound + torrent"... ah people.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:47 PM   #233
MJ4H
Coordinator

Is there some way to see playoff brackets or some explanation of a way I can figure it out for myself? I'm not seeing anyway to really follow the progress of the playoffs.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:19 PM   #234
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
Is there some way to see playoff brackets or some explanation of a way I can figure it out for myself? I'm not seeing anyway to really follow the progress of the playoffs.

I think I read in one of these threads that it's a coming feature but wasn't implemented in time for the initial release. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:27 PM   #235
Tim Tellean
High School JV

Yes Arlie said in a future patch will be some sort of playoff brackets. With injures and playing time Arlie has said he is putting in a chaneg to the coding to cut down on number and severity of injuries as well as a user controlled gauge for injuries.
Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:47 PM   #236
jbmagic
Pro Starter

from Arlie
Quote:
Progess on patch (1.02)
We are currently working on a patch that will fix the following:

-Fix the injury length issue (injures will be reduced in length)
-Fix the coach switch issue
-Fix the distance issue on penalties (ie, face mask and others)
-Fix the 4th down FG logic inside the 10
-Fix the late game AI
-Fix the home and home scheduling issue
-Fix advance week button
-two point conversion INT
-Fix WR limit for redshirts/change position
-underclassmen turning pro
-Fix the recruit distibution issue (by state)
-Timing issues for TOs
-Plays called should always match
-Improve CPU logic when academics given to staff

This is going to be a patch aimed at fixing most of the major issues. Feel free to post any I may have missed here. But, keep in mind this update is to target the major issues and some items I may hold for the first update (1.1).

thanks,

Arlie

post here if he miss any bugs or here.
http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ead.php?t=9077

Last edited by jbmagic : 12-12-2005 at 11:51 PM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:13 AM   #237
Arles
Grey Dog Software

There are two more missing from that list I've now added:
-Roughing the passer logic
-Adjust the early season poll logic
Old 12-13-2005, 12:25 AM   #238
JeeberD
General Manager

Awesome, thanks for all the hard work Arlie...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:19 AM   #239
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

Was the clock issue on touchback kickoffs ever addressed? (Clock ticks off time on kickoffs that are touchbacks, should not)
Wasabiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:38 AM   #240
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabiak
Was the clock issue on touchback kickoffs ever addressed? (Clock ticks off time on kickoffs that are touchbacks, should not)
Yeah, that's fixed as well. there's a couple other minor things I added as well based on comments.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:53 AM   #241
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee

This was posted over at the GDS forum and seems to address my concern, so I thought I'd post it here. Hopefully, this doesn't violate the GDS EULA and I won't get banned or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles on GDS forum
Another point I wanted to make is that I've seen a lot of comments on "parity issues" - ie, a mid-range team beating an udefeated top tier team. Now, these are still going to happen as upsets are a big part of college football (just ask UCLA this season ). However, the injury issue of too many top QBs and RBs have really made this parity issue more of a factor than I would have liked. I have found that since I have made injuries more realistic in my testing that the number of major upsets have decreased.

When you combined the injury issue with the underclassmen leaving early bug(sophs), as well as the aggressive transfers by some players - you ended up with a situation ripe for major upsets. Before the injury and underclassman fix, I had a Southern Cal team lose a 5-star QB for the season, have a 4-star (RS soph) leave for the pros the year before, a 5-star RB injured for half the season and a 3.5/5 star RB transfer away the year before. This left a very green QB/RB combo (both were around 2.5-3 star actual) heading up Southern Cal.

As some of you may know, young players in BBCF play very inconsistent. A 2.5/5.0 star QB could look like a 4-star one game and a 2-star the next. In this case, Southern Cal ended up losing to a very average Washington State team as the QB looked awful and the team had a couple other key injuries. I haven't seen this type of thing occur tonight (after I added the injury fix) and expect some of the other fixes will add even more stability in certain areas.

Last edited by Bee : 12-13-2005 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:56 AM   #242
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Hopefully, this doesn't violate the GDS EULA and I won't get banned or anything.
No. You have a lot of posts and have been around a long time. You are elite. No worries.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:28 AM   #243
jonesz
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
from Arlie

Progess on patch (1.02)
We are currently working on a patch that will fix the following:

-Fix the injury length issue (injures will be reduced in length)

Will this include the option to set the number of inuries to max, normal, or minimum as was mentioned in an earlier post? If not, I would be concerned that we'll still have 14 or so players injuried at one time. Of those, any that are questionable or doubtful, you probably still wouldn't want to play due to the perceived high risk of reinjury. Or will this be looked at as well?

The parity point is well taken also. I could see the reasons that you list causing some of this. The more I play the more I actually think that the perception of parity may have more to do with the polls and point spreads shown however. For example, I'm playing with Ohio State (5-0), and I'm ranked #6 in the country and am playing unranked Minnesota (2-2) at home, to which I am favored by 23 points. I have a few injuries, but nothing substantial. I end up losing by 16 in the end (which is a 39 point difference from the point spread). Now, either I shouldn't have been ranked #6 or I shouldn't have been favored by 23. I've seen this happen, in one form or another, quite frequently. Now, my thought is that the point spread logic needs a little work. I always seem to use it as a general gauge for how two teams stack up, and it doesn't seem to be indicitive of this a majority of the time. A tweak to the point spread logic may help with the parity perception as well..
Old 12-13-2005, 07:42 AM   #244
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Will this include the option to set the number of inuries to max, normal, or minimum as was mentioned in an earlier post? If not, I would be concerned that we'll still have 14 or so players injuried at one time.
That sounds like a *new* feature, not a tweak. Sounds like more of something for the update rather than the patch.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:51 AM   #245
jonesz
Mascot

Quote:
That sounds like a *new* feature, not a tweak. Sounds like more of something for the update rather than the patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
When did the injury happen? If it was 7 weeks before, that could be the case.

Also, I am going to be making the following changes to injuries:

1. Reduce the overall severity of most injuries.
2. Add an injury setting that will have "High", "Normal" and "Low" to allow people the ability to customize.

I think the problem here was that I got a little overboard with the idea of punishing low durability players. The more I think about it, the more I think these guys should always be nursing some minor injuries, but not neccesarily out for the season each year.

Actually, I was referring to this post from ealier in the thread. Arles lumped the two together in that post, so I assumed they would be addressed as a two prong solution. I guess I was just looking for clarification as to whether or not my assumption is correct..
Old 12-13-2005, 07:52 AM   #246
Icy
Pro Starter

A quick fix for those that can't wait a few days for the patch to fix injuries is to edit the psetup.dat file. There you will find a table named Injury with the list of all the injuries and the min-max duration. Just lower the duration of the injuries to the amount of weeks that you want. You can also change the injuries names there to like "pennis abrasion".

I have not tested to add/delete injuries but i guess that could lead to crashes if the game is looking for a number of ID's.

Anyway i'm not sure if this worths the effort as the new patch should be our really soon, but at least interesting to know for those who love to tweak stuff.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:54 AM   #247
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Actually, I was referring to this post from ealier in the thread. Arles lumped the two together in that post, so I assumed they would be addressed as a two prong solution. I guess I was just looking for clarification as to whether or not my assumption is correct..
Yes, a two-pronged solution, but a two-tiered one, too, I'm fairly certain, unless he's changed his mind in the last 12-24 hours about it.

Adding any new feature increases the risk of residual issues/crashes, and requires more testing than dialing down a setting such as injury severity, which is much less risky. I get the impression that Arlie is trying to remove issues which are show-stoppers for some first and quickly in the 1.02 patch, and then make the additions/enhancements/etc. in an update.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:20 AM   #248
Huckleberry
College Starter

Is there a good reason that testicular cancer is in the standard injury table? I'm sure plenty of consumers will think that's funny or whatever, I just don't agree that cancer is funny.

And at the very least it needs to have a minimum length of the rest of the season.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:28 AM   #249
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Is there a good reason that testicular cancer is in the standard injury table? I'm sure plenty of consumers will think that's funny or whatever, I just don't agree that cancer is funny.

And at the very least it needs to have a minimum length of the rest of the season.
The good reason is that it happens to players in real life. It actually happened to a guy at my high school. He missed his entire Junior year due to testicular cancer. Cancer, shootings, and a few other off-the-field things were in there and supposed to be very rare. My understanding is that Arlie removed them occurring due to negative feedback in the first demo, but left them in the data table for those that want to use them.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:35 AM   #250
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
The good reason is that it happens to players in real life. It actually happened to a guy at my high school. He missed his entire Junior year due to testicular cancer. Cancer, shootings, and a few other off-the-field things were in there and supposed to be very rare. My understanding is that Arlie removed them occurring due to negative feedback in the first demo, but left them in the data table for those that want to use them.
I can understand that. It's the injury length, I guess. Makes it seem like a joke to see that your starting safety was struck down by testicular cancer and is now questionable for the next 3 weeks.

But if it's only in the table and doesn't appear in the game, that would mean it's coded not to appear, right? So how does leaving it in the table help someone use it? I obviously don't know enough about programming.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 12-13-2005 at 08:36 AM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote