Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

[Hattrick] Houston Hippopotami (III.3); Special 20th Anniversary Thread

Introduction

Near as I can tell, it's been a long time since anyone has done a hattrick dynasty. Since this is the Hippos 20th full season in hattrick (21, if you include the partial first season), I thought it would be fun to resurrect this one. There's a lot of history tied up in my team, at least in my mind and this seemed like a fun way to encapsulate all of it into an opus of sorts.

I miss the old FOFC community for the game. We had one of the best communities going for a while and I think some of the strategy that came out of here was second to none. My grasp of the nuances of the game is not nearly as strong as it once was but I've still managed to stick around in III a long time with what I know. Then again, once upon a time- getting to III was my goal so I've succeeded and then some.

This one goes out to all the old posters like dataking whose dynasty inspired mine, cw and ae and the defense vs offense debate, fm and spreadsheets, daed and lots of late night economic strategy chats, and the entire ht community- you know who you are and if I started enumerating I'd miss quite a few, and all the others I've forgotten.

Thread History

For some nostalgia, here's links to the old Hippo threads. They were a lot more organized than I sense this will be. However, this one has a slightly different aim- it's more of a walk down memory lane. Each week or two, I'll grab some element of the game to give old fans a look at how things are nowadays

[Hattrick] Houston Hippopotami, Season 4: IV.21 - Front Office Football Central
[Hattrick] Houston Hippopotami, Season 3: IV.21 - Front Office Football Central
[Hattrick] Houston Hippopotami, Season 2: V.62 - Front Office Football Central
Houston Hippopotami at Hattrick (Alliterative, isn't it?) - Front Office Football Central
Hippopotami Hattrick Prequel (Old Board Conversion) - Front Office Football Central

Notes
complete!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-03-2009 at 01:22 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Would you believe the Ultra Nox still live? I dunno why I still log in from time to time, I guess it's the 12 million in the bank.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh, I tried logging in, Galesburg is long gone.

But we made it into II, dammit!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Cup, Round 1: Derby's - Houston Hippopotami

Cup Background

The cup has rarely been kind to the Hippos. I often have overestimated my team's performance, which is usually bad early in the season due to lower form, as well as trying to emphasize training which is probably a mistake in the cup. We have averaged around the ~100th best team for the last 10 seasons which should average out to the 7th or 8th round every season. Instead, as you've seen, we've been bounced 6, 6, 6, 6, and 3 the last 5 seasons.

Not only that, but since the HT devs have never seen the problem of having the lower seeded team with home field, it has been one of the driving forces in teams sandbagging games to stay in lower divisions. That, along with fans, "smart" or otherwise- more on that later, really increased the incidence of teams who would slum down in V or VI to stock up cash, make deep cup runs, and build up the fan club. It can be very frustrating.

Hippo Cup History

The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 5 season 19
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 3 season 20
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 4 season 21
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 4 season 22
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 6 season 23
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 5 season 24
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 5 season 25
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 8 season 26
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 7 season 27
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 8 season 28
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 6 season 29
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 7 season 30
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 7 season 31
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 8 season 32
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 6 season 33
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 6 season 34
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 6 season 35
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 6 season 36
The team was kicked out of the Cup at round 3 season 37

Cup Game Preview

Round 1 pits the Hippos against Derby's, a bot team from New Jersey. Starters will be playing to keep form up. We'll have a "meet the team post" at some point to get everyone acquainted with the current Hippos. There will even be a few familiar faces to those with good memories.

Back to the game, we should have be able to breeze through this with a PIC and build some team spirit, going into series play.

Formatting Notes

A couple of minor notes on the formatting.

I used to take a lot of pride in the formatting I put into my Hippo dynasties. I will try to continue with that, but it was also what ultimately led me to quitting as putting a half hour or hour into "prettying up" something that's already pretty clean ended up sapping all the time I wanted to use to write the dynasties. Hopefully it's presentable enough

Secondly- hattrick changed their appearance a couple of months ago so some of the formatting cuts and pastes easily and some doesn't. I'll try to post as much as I can that doesn't look bad on the message board. There will be some little notations on this particular match summary (FF/IE), so that I remember which version I pulled things from so they look good and consistent in the future.

Cup Game Box Score

Kits (IE)

Derbys 0 – 5 Hippopotami (206752987) (IE)

1-29-2009 01.00
The 12000 fans in attendance at Derby's Arena were roasting in the hot sun. Derbys decided to use a 4-4-2 set up. The following players took the field: Tharp - Browning, Ballard, Roach, Springer - Simms, Mccullough, Cole, Alvareda - Parrish, Matlock.

Hippopotami started off with a 3-5-2 lineup. The following players had been chosen: Özkutay - Delcarte, Huenul, Cyburt - Partridge, Marsh, Thacker, Quijada, Regúlez - Tetlie, Angulo.

Hippopotami showed off their creative tactics. Chema Delcarte came close to putting the visiting team one up 2 minutes into the match, following a solo raid down the middle, but Michael Tharp managed to tip the ball to a corner. Oliver Angulo's speed was clear to see after 27 minutes as he darted past his marker and struck an opening pass to Tor Tetlie who scored the 0-1 goal. A defender managed to keep the ball from crossing the goal-line after a curling shot coming in from the right from Carlos Thacker after 34 minutes, and prevented Hippopotami from going up another goal. Some fine manoeuvring on the left led to a Hippopotami goal after 42 minutes, making it 0 - 2. Charlie Partridge was noted down as the scorer. The crowd gasped as Batı Özkutay of Hippopotami was flattened by an opponent after 42 minutes and had to be carried off. Tim Kimber came in off the bench. 0 - 2 was the score after the first half. This half belonged to Hippopotami, who controlled the ball 79 percent of the time.

Charlie Partridge didn't pace himself at all, and after a series of daring offensive runs he was too tired to help out in the defensive play. A thrilling play through the middle 68 minutes into the match gave Hippopotami's Tor Tetlie a chance to increase the lead, and he did not disappoint. The score was then 0 - 3. 68 minutes in, Derbys's Blair Browning received a yellow card for going into a challenge studs first. The visitors' Zacarías Regúlez took advantage of an error due to a misunderstanding between the home side's goalie and central backs 74 minutes into the match. 0 - 4 for Hippopotami. The structure of the game started to change as Hippopotami decided to pull back and meet their opponents in their own half. Given a free kick in a difficult position after 80 minutes, Hippopotami did not go for a direct shot but instead aimed for the area just in front of the keeper. The attacking players made several runs as the ball was played and made it hard for the defenders to protect their goal. After a short tussle with the defender, Oliver Angulo could finally lay the ball to rest behind the keeper. 0 - 5, and proof it can pay off to come prepared. This half belonged to Hippopotami, who controlled the ball 81 percent of the time.

Leo Cole performed admirably for Derbys. Rodney Matlock on the other hand, had a terrible day. Hippopotami's best player was Carlos Thacker. Tim Kimber was a disappointment, however. The match ends 0 - 5.

Rating details
(IE)

Derby's Houston Hippopotami
Midfield wretched (high) passable (low)
Right Defence wretched (high) solid (low)
Central Defence poor (low) passable (high)
Left Defence poor (high) poor (high)
Right Attack wretched (low) poor (very high)
Central Attack disastrous (very high) solid (very high)
Left Attack disastrous (very high) solid (very low)
Indirect set pieces
Defence poor (high) inadequate (very high)
Attack poor (very low) passable (high)
Team Attitude (Hidden) Play it Cool
Tactic Normal Play creatively
Tactic skill (no tactic) -

Highlights (FF)

0 - 1 Tor Tetlie 27'
0 - 2 Charlie Partridge 42'
0 - 3 Tor Tetlie 68'
0 - 4 Zacarías Regúlez 74'
0 - 5 Oliver Angulo 80'
Blair Browning 68'
Batı Özkutay 42'

Batı Özkutay
Tim Kimber
42'

Possession (FF)

21%

79%

19%

81%

Cup Game Recap

Pretty easy game: 5-0 win. Starting forward Tor Tetlie got a pair of goals and three others contributed scores. Unfortunately, we had the worst case scenario for an easy cup game play out as starting keeper Bati Ozkutay, the Bursa Blockade, was injured with a +3, likely taking him out for our first two fixtures. Hippo legend and current coach, Tim "Timber" Kimber (a blast from the past for those of you with good memories) came in and finished up the game. However, he, nor backup keeper and youth academy product Tomas Milam, is not good enough to hold down the fort in III, so we will be forced to make a decision in the upcoming week.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-05-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Would you believe the Ultra Nox still live? I dunno why I still log in from time to time, I guess it's the 12 million in the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Heh, I tried logging in, Galesburg is long gone.

But we made it into II, dammit!

I'm just glad there's some interest, even if it's rubbernecking-the-accident, in a dynasty with a look back for all the old crowd or even anyone new. I'll probably go advertise it in the HT and OT forums just to see if people are interested.

Secretly (well, I guess no longer), I hope this ends up a little like a HT reunion before all is said and done- everyone reminiscing about their team and times here. I'd love to hear about everyone's team here

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-05-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Press Announcements

Press Room

Press announcements still exist and I utilize them from time to time. Not much has changed- they're on the front page and you're still limited to 500 characters or less. While it limits your ability to be as precise as you'd like, it is always a good exercise in concise editing and an economy of words.

Here's some news from the past year. This should give you some flavor of what's going on. I've left out the ones about flag chasing since we'll get to that when it's friendly time. Hopefully that will be later in the season that it has in recent years.

Quote:
10-1-2008

(17:14) Ten Seasons in III.3 Wow. It's been a while!

Season 37 will mark the 10th season of the Houston Hippopotami in III.3. We finished in 1st our 1st season here but could not win the qualifier to II. Since then, we've finished anywhere from 2nd to 5th, this most recent season being in 3rd.

We look forward to more good league competition, cup runs, and flag collecting in the coming seasons.

For the new season, welcome to the newcomers, happy returns to the rest of us.

Quote:
10-20-2008

(16:31) New Milestones: Highest Rank, 3000 Supporters! We've never been big on achievements for hattrick, but this week we had two of note as we've been at this a long time and we still have things to accomplish

1) We are at our highest rank ever: 46. Sure, it won't last as it's more a product of us only being 2 weeks into the new season. However, it's neat to see. It's worth 50 point.

2) We've been over 2900 supporters for 9 seasons but never been able to break 3000. We finally topped it with 3001 this morning, good for 30 points.

Quote:
10-30-2008

(18:42) Hippos New and Old The Hippos are extremely happy to announce that GM-CableGuy was kind enough to release Carlos Alberto Benito from his contract so he can retire with Houston. Longtime fans will remember #15 as one of the original Hippos along with retired Hippo Hall of Heroes members Starks and Phelan.

Meanwhile, in the middle of the night, Houston also signed a new middie, Carlos Thacker. He may carry a hefty salary but he joins Marsh as the only Houston middie under 30 and will a key Hippo for a long time.

Quote:
1-13-2009

(22:08) Newcomers, new kits, and a new coach Former Hippo Donald Sidorczak has been brought back into the fold, to be retired to the Hippo Hall of Heroes. Houston paid a club record $7.4M for him many seasons ago.

Also, the Hippos have new kits! Team management is pleased with the exciting new jerseys and excited about the new revenue streams from them. Designer and team GM SterlingIce was quite pleased with his work.

Lastly, Xacobo Armengol has said he will step down as coach. More about that later.

Quote:
1-28-2009

(18:14) New Coach Falls in the Forest; Will he make a sound? Tim "Timber" Kimber has been named the new head coach of Houston after Xacobo Armengol retired Tuesday. From the Hippo legend, who will keep his #1 jersey: "It is an honor to coach this team and I hope to live up to the standards of past coaches".

Armengol will be retired into the Hippo Hall of Heroes along with Vaikhan Satyanarayana this season as part of the Houston Hippopotami 20th Anniversary Celebration, which commemorates the 20th full season of the club. More to come...

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-05-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

III.3 Season 38

Hippos History in III.3

So, yeah, I've been stuck in my own little purgatory, also known as III.3, for 11 seasons now. It's not a bad little series- we have a little chatter going in the forum from time to time, depending on who cycles in and out of the series. I've always been good enough to stay up but never good enough to advance. I have finished 2nd thru 4th all but 2 of my 10 seasons here, with a 1st place finish my first season- lost my only ascending qualifier ever- and a 5th place season a few later.

Houston Hippopotami finished as number 1 in III.3 season 28
Houston Hippopotami finished as number 4 in III.3 season 29
Houston Hippopotami finished as number 2 in III.3 season 30
Houston Hippopotami finished as number 5 in III.3 season 31
Houston Hippopotami finished as number 4 in III.3 season 32
Houston Hippopotami finished as number 4 in III.3 season 33
Houston Hippopotami finished as number 2 in III.3 season 34
Houston Hippopotami finished as number 4 in III.3 season 35
Houston Hippopotami finished as number 3 in III.3 season 36
Houston Hippopotami finished as number 4 in III.3 season 37

Last season I was 4th, only by the grace of the standings gods. In the final week, we backed into 4th place with a 5-0 loss. However, 5th place Selma fell 3-2 and 6th place O.G. Kickers were edged 6-5 with the go-ahead goal scored in the 84th minute. Either team could have passed us if they had won their game.

Team Played Goals Points
1. amblerabsbestos 14 41 - 35 30
2. Wahoos 14 55 - 37 27
3. Supra Supreme 14 45 - 29 27
4. Houston Hippopotami 14 32 - 30 22
5. Selma Sumorats 14 35 - 27 21
6. O.G. Kickers 14 56 - 43 19
7. Toadies 14 43 - 38 19
8. Duff Gardens 14 6 - 74 0

Maybe it's been too long, but when I started out, my goal was to reach Div III and I've done that and then some. I've come up with new little goals and fun things to keep me interested along the way (wait until we get to my Youth Academy spreadsheet or flag chasing) and I'm quite happy where I am.

To give you an idea of how long I've been here, I'll try to again post the table that broke the forum earlier (or at least the top 10).

Team Played Goals Points
1. Houston Hippopotami 141 389 - 254 249
2. FC Exile 98 241 - 240 134
3. amblerabsbestos 85 234 - 199 128
4. Park Panthers EFC 42 170 - 79 94
5. FC Real Deal 56 148 - 131 89
6. Wahoos 43 180 - 94 86
7. Falcons of Hell 42 142 - 83 86
8. Jacksonville Tea Me 42 156 - 104 86
9. Elsa's Itch 56 144 - 124 86
10. Selma Sumorats 43 122 - 58 80

We've had a fair share of VIPs come through the series, as it's only a hop, skip, and a jump from the upper echelon of hattrick in the US. Here are some of our more "distinguished" members that have been in this series in my time here:
  • Lathrop of Blue Wave - former US national coach caught us while he was retooling after a very long stay in II and lasted a season
  • Farmboy of Clarion Taffurs - was on MLS at one point and a fixture in Div II for a long time
  • joerg52 of Park Panthers EFC - he spent a couple of seasons in III.3 before getting all the way to the MLS the last 2 seasons
  • hrudey22 of Jacksonville Tea Men - certainly last and definitely least- he slacked all over our series en route to MLS and then dismantled the poor USA U20 team as the coach (his response: "That's inaccurate. The USA U20 team was already in the crapper. I just didn't flush it well enough to stop it from being crappy again. Otherwise, pretty close!" Oh, and I had a lot of WTF wins")
Hippos Preview

I wish I could make this a "storybook" run at our series where the team stuck in III finally breaks free and promotes but that's fairly unlikely. We have a really tough series and I'm once again going to be in the middle of the pack.

The one thing I do have in my favor this season is that we have 2 essentially dead teams. Unfortunately, my schedule is not all that favorable as to when I face them as it's in back-to-back weeks so I'm at a disadvantage to those teams who have them more spread out. Not only that but I play them in weeks 3 and 4, when I get really no advantage from playing them except perhaps to help prolong my cup run. But even at that point, I should be enjoying pretty easy games in the cup.

Hm... I'm getting some ideas now that I'm hashing things out (I do have around $9M in the bank) but it's going to take a lot of luck with surviving week 2 and some other teams to fall... anyways, more on that later, if it looks good on paper. Unfortunately, the sketch isn't too promising

Series Preview

III is never easy and, even with a pair of walkovers, is going to be tough to get back to that top 4 I'm used to. Here they are, in rough order of expected finish:
  • O.G. Kickers {stats} - Relative newcomer who is selling all of his players. He is the other bot.
  • amblerabsbestos {stats} - long time team in III.3 but went bot last season after winning the series. As you can see from the above, he had been here a long time.
  • Houston Hippopotami {stats} - I believe you've heard of us. I'll slot us in at 6th for now and see how things go.
  • Bridgemen {stats} - one of two new teams. Looking at history, their ratings last year are all over the map, which is a little odd for a team that went 14-0 in IV just a season ago.
  • T Hills FC {stats} - the other new team this season. They took the first game from Bridgemen on the road so I'm going to slot them ahead in the standings.
  • Selma Sumorats {stats} - the next two are a tossup as they are similar in so many ways. They are capable of putting up the highest ratings in the series in any given week. However, they are also prone to the upset bug. Could finish anywhere in the series.
  • Supra Supreme {stats} - the other SS team. Like Selma, they're a strong team. However, while they don't rate as highly, they make the most of their ratings and are good at winning close games.
  • Wahoos {stats} -teams really start looking alike if you look solely at their ratings on this level, but I think they are the class of the series. He dropped down from II a couple of seasons ago and has gone 1, 1, and 2 in his seasons here. No reason to think he'll finish any different this season.
Well, there you go. You can see what we're up against and it's not pretty. We're going to need quite a bit of luck this season.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-06-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I miss playing, but I don't miss the changes to the game.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
Masked
College Starter

Looks like bringing HT back broke the forum

I just signed up for a new team last week. The changes look positive, but I'm still getting up to speed.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, fixed the thread- time to break it again

Unfortunately, I'm a little peeved as I have to go through and rewrite what I had again

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-05-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I had fun when I played, but player development is far too slow in comparison to the rate that they make changes to the sim and I hated the transfer market. Those two things are what led me to leave.

The Blizzard made it to D2, but making it there was the last season I cared, stuck around another year before relatively recently (last couple months?) before saying goodbye for good.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Series preview post that broke the board earlier is complete and updated. Next up, our first fixture of the season

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-05-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fixture, Week 1: Supra Supreme - Houston Hippopotami

Series Schedule

Here's the spreadsheet dump of our schedule for the season. As you can see, the walkovers are in weeks 3, 4, 11, and 12. Our schedule just does not set up nicely but maybe I can take some advantage of it.

Here's the best case scenario:
  • If I can beat Selma at home with the injury in week 2, that sets me up to build up team spirit to beat T Hills FC at home.
  • Then I PIC Wahoos on the road and get lucky enough to sweep the Bridgemen. Heck, a good, quasi-realistic 4 game stretch with the Wahoos and Bridgemen would be L/W/D/D.
  • T Hills FC might be up for a MotS on the road followed by a pair of PICs.
  • A PIC on the road against Selma sets up a game against Supra with 2nd thru 4th place implications.
  • Realistic best case: L/W/W/W/W/L/W D/D/W/W/W/L/W. 30 points which is probably good for 2nd or 3rd. Someone is going to walk away with a 33 or 36 point season since there are 42 on the board, 12 are guaranteed, and there's a lot of team spirit help out there.
  • Realistic worst case: L/L/W/W/D/L/W L/L/L/W/W/L/L. That would only net 16 points and either 5th or 6th place.
Supra Supreme
Houston Hippopotami
Houston Hippopotami Selma Sumorats
O.G. Kickers Houston Hippopotami
amblerabsbestos Houston Hippopotami
Houston Hippopotami T Hills FC
Wahoos Houston Hippopotami
Houston Hippopotami Bridgemen
Bridgemen Houston Hippopotami
Houston Hippopotami Wahoos
T Hills FC Houston Hippopotami
Houston Hippopotami amblerabsbestos
Houston Hippopotami O.G. Kickers
Selma Sumorats Houston Hippopotami
Houston Hippopotami Supra Supreme

Fixture Preview

I'm 1-3 in my career against Supra and that's on good days. With starting keeper Bati Ozkutay out and this being on the road, this game is, unfortunately, a PIC special. We're going to get mauled, but hopefully we can eke out a goal so the "smart" fans aren't chucking themselves off the roof. A best case scenario would be something like a 5-1 loss.

Kits (IE)

Supreme 8 – 0 Hippopotami (217931275) (IE)

2-2-2009 01.00
Clear skies welcomed the 59064 spectators who had made their way to Pro Player Stadium. Supreme decided to use a 3-5-2 set up. Lineup: Debbouze - Bergeon, Boavista, Cedrés - Azevedo, Batzel, Fischer, Culver, Woudenberg - Zauder, Hove.

Hippopotami tactics involved an interesting 3-5-2 combination. Lineup: Milam - Delcarte, Huenul, Cyburt - Partridge, Marsh, Thacker, Quijada, Regúlez - Tetlie, Angulo.

Hippopotami took a creative approach on the field. The home side put themselves ahead 1 - 0 after 9 minutes courtesy of a breakthrough from Dário Boavista, who, unaided, came in from the right wing hooking the ball over the visitors' keeper. After 28 minutes, Joăo Luís Azevedo put Supreme ahead 2 - 0 when he rose to head in a hooked ball, the result of an effort from the right side. Supreme added another goal to their lead as Zvonimir Zauder struck home the 3 - 0 goal after an attack from the left set him up unmarked in front of the keeper. Supreme's Zvonimir Zauder was delighted to score the 4 - 0 goal after he saw his shot go between the legs of the advancing goalkeeper and into the net, following some good attacking movement on the right wing after 31 minutes. Confident in their lead, Supreme decided to play a more defensive game at this point. Anker Hove had a fantastic opportunity to put Supreme up another goal 32 minutes into the match, but he fired just over the crossbar. It was 4 - 0 at the break. Supreme enjoyed most of the ball, as they maintained 59 percent of possession.

Against a lesser team, Supreme could very well have succeeded with their smart indirect free kick combination after 60 minutes. A trio of passes took the ball all the way past the defenders, but by then the intended recipient was already blocked off and the keeper could make a leisurely save. Hippopotami's Charlie Partridge got himself booked for a foul. Supreme solidified their lead at the 66 minute mark, as Hans-Toni Batzel manoeuvered the ball through the opposing central defence and finished for 5 - 0. With 68 minutes played, Supreme put themselves up 6 - 0 when the visiting defenders lost the ball to Joshua Fischer, who came up from the left and proceeded to coolly round the keeper and knock the ball home. A magnificent combination in the middle resulted in Supreme's Anker Hove putting the lead up to 7 - 0. 84 minutes into the match, the visitors' central line of defence had to look on as Joăo Luís Azevedo dashed through, knocking home 8 - 0 for Supreme. Many in the crowd felt the referee was being too lenient when he only showed Supreme's Charles Bergeon a yellow card after a mistimed challenge from behind in the 85:th minute. The forty-five minutes were dominated by Supreme, with an impressive 60 percent possession of the ball.

Supreme's best player was Joshua Fischer. Joel Cedrés was a disappointment, however. Most important Hippopotami player was Tor Tetlie. However, Tomas Milam made a disastrous appearance. The match ends 8 - 0.

Rating details

Supra Supreme Houston Hippopotami
Midfield outstanding (low) solid (low)
Right Defence formidable (high) passable (very high)
Central Defence formidable (very low) passable (very low)
Left Defence excellent (high) wretched (very high)
Right Attack inadequate (high) weak (very low)
Central Attack solid (high) excellent (low)
Left Attack passable (high) solid (high)
Indirect set pieces
Defence solid (high) inadequate (very high)
Attack passable (high) solid (very low)

Highlights (FF)

1 - 0 Dário Boavista 9'
2 - 0 Joăo Luís Azevedo 28'
3 - 0 Zvonimir Zauder 28'
4 - 0 Zvonimir Zauder 31'
5 - 0 Hans-Toni Batzel 66'
6 - 0 Joshua Fischer 68'
7 - 0 Anker Hove 79'
8 - 0 Joăo Luís Azevedo 84'
Charlie Partridge 65'
Charles Bergeon 85'

Possession

59%

41%

60%

40%

Series Standings (IE)

Team
Pld W D L GF GA ą Pts
1. Wahoos
1 1 0 0 11 0 11 3
2. Supra Supreme
1 1 0 0 8 0 8 3
3. Selma Sumorats
1 1 0 0 6 1 5 3
4. T Hills FC
1 1 0 0 3 2 1 3
5. Bridgemen
1 0 0 1 2 3 -1 0
6. O.G. Kickers
1 0 0 1 1 6 -5 0
7. Houston Hippopotami 1 0 0 1 0 8 -8 0
8. amblerabsbestos
1 0 0 1 0 11 -11 0

Fixture Recap

Fans are going to be falling from the rooftops after an 8-0 loss. The "smart fans" are smart in name only, so I'll be shedding 6 or 7 each update this week, even if I win my cup game handily. It's kindof sad that I'm behind one of the dead teams. But we all know this is just one week. We'll get a good shot at Supra in week 14, depending on where we are all at in the standings. Next week we have Selma at home and then the pair of walkovers.

SI

Old 02-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
finketr
College Prospect

i'm starting my 18th full season in HT.. we're in iii.14 for 3 out of the last 4 seasons (1 season, demoted, promoted back to iii.14).

not sure where we go from here but we'll see...
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Cup, Round 2: rootkit - Houston Hippopotami

Cup Game Preview

Good thing this won't present much of a challenge as we still don't have a keeper. Timber was a Hippo legend, but at 41 and the coach, he's not much at the pitch on the moment. So, Tomas Milam will get the start. He's a product of our youth academy and was meant to basically be sold off. However, realizing I didn't have a viable backup, I kept him on the team in that capacity. This is proving to not be a very good option as it's clear now that I need a real backup in III, just like at other positions.

Speaking of backups and back to the game at hand, Derby's isn't a bot, but he still can barely put up a 100 in hatstats so you'll get to see most of the bench in this game. I have at least one player at all positions who is a more than capable backup (the type of guy we all would have killed to have on our team down in V)- with a brilliant or higher in main skills. A couple I bought for backups, most used to be starters and I'm keeping them around until I can retire them into the Hippo Hall of Heroes.

Just to put this in perspective, a 35yo titanic playmaker with no discernable secondaries- lets call him longtime Hippo middie #17 Erwin Vickers- costs a "whopping" $5K in wages per week. And, sure, he might not put up the stars or ratings a 25yo titanic would, mainly due to a lack of stamina, but he can put up 4 stars + 2 greyed out stamina stars so you can't really knock that.

I do like our sharp away uni's

Cup Game Box Score

Kits

rootkit 1 – 4 Hippopotami (218461859)

2-5-2009 01.00
The weather was pretty good, and a crowd of 12000 had shown up at Destruction for the match. rootkit tactics involved an interesting 4-4-2 combination. The following players had been chosen: Kurunsaari - Joyner, Mullins, Claridge, Márquez Nogueras - Coyro, Garcia, Maddox, Linn - Poole, Kearns.

Hippopotami had chosen a strategic 3-5-2 formation. Starters: Milam - 安粱 (Anliang) , Linneberg, Williams - Sidorczak, Little, Brik, Vickers, Weissglass - Masereel, Treibahs.

麥 (Mai) 安粱 (Anliang) sailed high above the opponents as he headed the 0-1 goal in on a corner kick from Ryan Linneberg after 13 minutes of play. The referee showed rootkit's Daniel Garcia the yellow card after a particularly nasty challenge. The teams went for the halftime break at 0 - 1. Hippopotami claimed to be the more dominant force in the game, and the statistics agreed with them - possession being 76 percent.

After 59 minutes, a mistake by the home side's left defence allowed Adir Weissglass to get through. He outclassed the home side's keeper, adding another goal for the visitors. 0 - 2. There was concern in the stands when, at the 60 minute mark, Hippopotami's 麥 (Mai) 安粱 (Anliang) hit the ground hard, but he refused the attention of the trainer and rejoined his teammates on the pitch. After 76 minutes of game time, 麥 (Mai) 安粱 (Anliang) had an excellent opportunity to add to the visitors' lead, clipping a volley hooked in from the right, but Jaakko Kurunsaari was in the right place and tipped the ball to a corner. Bill Kearns finished off the counterattack from the left rather easily, scoring 1 - 2 for rootkit. Ryan Linneberg increased Hippopotami's lead to 1 - 3 with a superb free kick strike that flew in just under the far top corner. There was concern in the stands when, at the 79 minute mark, rootkit's Joan Maddox hit the ground hard, but he refused the attention of the trainer and rejoined his teammates on the pitch. The home crowd was not impressed when Allan Brik came in from the right, shooting hard to score after 80 minutes. Hippopotami were now up 1 - 4. Confident in their lead, Hippopotami decided to play a more defensive game at this point. rootkit's Chad Mullins was shown a yellow card for standing over the ball and blocking an opponent's quick free kick after 82 minutes. The forty-five minutes were dominated by Hippopotami, with an impressive 72 percent possession of the ball.

rootkit's top performer was clearly Chad Mullins. Daniel Garcia on the other hand, had a terrible day. Most important Hippopotami player was Donald Sidorczak. Tomas Milam was a disappointment, however. The match ends 1 - 4.

Rating details

rootkit Houston Hippopotami
Midfield wretched (low) inadequate (low)
Right Defence weak (low) poor (high)
Central Defence inadequate (very low) solid (very low)
Left Defence poor (very high) passable (low)
Right Attack poor (low) inadequate (very low)
Central Attack poor (low) weak (very high)
Left Attack poor (high) wretched (low)
Indirect set pieces
Defence weak (very low) inadequate (low)
Attack weak (very low) inadequate (low)
Tactic Normal Normal
Tactic skill (no tactic) (no tactic)

Highlights

0 - 1 麥 (Mai) 安粱 (Anliang) 13'
0 - 2 Adir Weissglass 59'
1 - 2 Bill Kearns 77'
1 - 3 Ryan Linneberg 78'
1 - 4 Allan Brik 80'
Daniel Garcia 24'
Chad Mullins 82'
麥 (Mai) 安粱 (Anliang) 60'
Joan Maddox 79'

Possession

24%

76%

28%

72%

Cup Game Recap

Best you can hope for from an early round cup game- easy win, only injury was a bruised, no cards, and a team spirit boost. Those aren't awful defense ratings but that's going to hurt if I put those up in III, so something's going to have to give. May be time to break into the money bin and get a long term solution for backup keeper.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-01-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hippo Hall of Heroes

Overview
This is easily one of my favorite supporter features over the past couple of years. They created a team "Hall of Fame" where you can retire players into after they are no longer productive on the pitch. Basically, you can keep players "on" your team for sentimental reasons without paying their salary. There's also places to give some backstory, post about best games, etc.

There are some rules about who can enter, but it's mostly left up to the owners. Obviously, your current coach cannot be inducted. However, you can change coaches and then put the former coach in. They can't be on a national team or on the transfer list- kindof obvious rules. Players have to have been on your team for at least 3 seasons (so, 48 weeks). However, the clock starts when the arrive on your team so if you're buying back a former player- you have to wait almost a year to induct them. Lastly, you get 3 "free slots" to fill at any time. However, after that you are only allowed 1 new player per season so you can't just retire every player instantly to the Hall of Fame- it's going to take some planning (something I forgot about with my most recent one).

Personally, I like to do it "during" the first or last home game of the season. The press announcement writes itself and it's another fun way to add "color" to Hattrick. Unfortunately, with the time restrictions on when and where, I may have to fudge a little but nothing too bad.

This Week

Quote:
(19:17) Vaikhan Satyanarayana, Hall of Famer During halftime of the Hippopotami season opener against the Selma Sumorats, long time defender Vaikhan Satyanarayana will be retired to the Hippo Hall of Heroes. Information on Vaikhan is on his player profile in the Hall of Fame.

His #31 joins #13, #22, and #99 as retired.

Upcoming Hippo Hall Inductees
Season 39: #97 Xacobo Armengol
Season 40: #15 Carlos Alberto Benito

Future Considerations
#1 Tim Kimber
#40 Stephen Williams
#18 Thomas Little
#12 Donald Sidorczak

Vaikhan's not a legend like some of the Hall of Famers. But not everyone can be Babe Ruth or Willie Mays. My favorite player growing up was Ryne Sandberg- he wasn't the biggest name in the game- but he was one of the couple best hitting second basemen ever and a damn good fielder.

That was Vaikhan- he was never the star on the team, but he was an offensive central defender- a stopper, at least that's the term we used in high school for that position. That extra midfield boost from him gave us an edge against teams who just played a traditional set of defenders. I still do that with the Hippos as a pair of my defense trainees have formidable playmaking as well- tho it's not as effective now since they made defense more useful- and they play every fixture, barring bad form/injuries/etc. He played for the team for over 2 years, mostly back in the IV.21 days, and I was glad to have a chance to buy him back and retire him.

Current Hall of Fame

#13 #22 #31 #99

Quote:
Great scorer

Edwin Phelan (7555484)
40 years and 3 days

This player is 40 years and 3 days old and has been in the Hall of Fame since he was 35 years old.

"#22 An original Hippo, Edwin Phelan, retired due to injury with 139 career goals at age 35 He was Houston's best scorer from the start, carrying the mantle of franchise scoring leader until S33. He led V.62 in scoring in S19 with 15 goals and still holds the Hippo record of 5 hat tricks He left the team at the end of S21 but came back home 3 seasons ago so he could retire into the Hippo Hall of Heroes"

Current career: Actor
Last club: Houston Hippopotami
Retired: 10-20-2007
Arrived in club: 10-18-2006
Seasons in club: 4
Career Goals 139
Career Hattricks 8
Total matches in club: 15
Best Performance:
Best match: 13216765
Last match in club: 142847544
Former clubs: Houston Hippopotami
Rebellen Vossenhoek
ECG-RJ
Dynamo Elektrik
Most memorable match: 12926798
In the Hippos first round cup game for Season 21, Phelan's last with Houston, Edwin scored 5 goals en route to an 8-1 win

Quote:
Faithful to club

Mick Starks (7555487)

44 years and 33 days

This player is 44 years and 33 days old and has been in the Hall of Fame since he was 39 years old.

"#13 Mick Starks has always been a Hippo and he will always be a Hippo. He was the best original player on the team, a quality winger and scorer in those early days. Always known for being hot headed, it may be a little surprising that he made such a good coach. Wanting to stay with the team, he will now take his firey style to the Sales Director position."

Current career: Sales Director
Retired: 7-19-2007 (NaN/NaN)
Arrived in club: 1-3-2006 (9/28)
Seasons in club: 6
Career Goals 34
Career Hattricks 0
Total matches in club: 219
Best Performance:
Best match: 48346289
Last match in club: 127880442
Former clubs: Has been faithful to Houston Hippopotami his entire career!
Most memorable match: 4921761
Mick Starks scored the only two goals in the first game in Houston Hippopotami history, a friendly against fellow fofc'er ausonny and his now defunct Bees way back in January of 2003

Quote:
Member of Honour

José María Miquel (10565041)

46 years and 45 days

This player is 46 years and 45 days old and has been in the Hall of Fame since he was 37 years old.

"#99 I am the 2nd former coach of the team after legendary coach Ricky Braden. Also, I was a pretty good defender and set pieces ace for the team back in the day. I am the first inductee into the Houston Hippopotami Hall of Heroes."

Current career: Player Union Representative
Retired: 7-9-2006 (4/30)
Arrived in club: 6-18-2004 (NaN/NaN)
Seasons in club: 7
Career Goals 13
Career Hattricks 0
Total matches in club: 102
Best Performance:
Best match: 18521870
Last match in club: 82436900
Former clubs: Chuchua
Most memorable match: 55504489
His last fixture as coach of the Hippos was their last in 8 seasons of IV.21 before moving up to III.3.

Quote:
Member of Honour

Vaikhan Satyanarayana (4947607)

39 years and 48 days

This player is 39 years and 48 days old and has been in the Hall of Fame since he was 39 years old.

"#31 I was a long time defender and I returned here to retire to the Hippo Hall of Heroes. I was pretty good at playmaking (passable) and the first offensive central defender used for the purpose of augmenting our midfield attack as well as defense, a tactic still used in Houston to this day."

Current career: Agent
Retired: 2-7-2009 (7/39)
Arrived in club: 2-11-2008 (4/37)
Seasons in club: 4
Career Goals 26
Career Hattricks 1
Total matches in club: 1
Best Performance:
Best match: 83644843
Last match in club: 173063288
Former clubs: Houston Hippopotami
Westbury and United Banks
Tällby FK
the velvet revolvers 88
Most memorable match: 29169722
In the season opener for season 24, Vaikhan scored 2 goals from offensive central defender en route to a 5-1 Hippos win. It came against longtime IV.21 rival Iowa (later Wisconsin) Enforcers and helped pave the way for a 3rd place finish that season, edging them out by 2 points in the final standings.

Future Plans

Next Couple

Xacabo Armengol (97)- If I could have retired 2 players this season, he'd also have been retired. He just finished his term as coach of the team from seasons 33 until the end of 37. He used to play wingback and set pieces specialist a lot and finished with 21 career goals.

Carlos Alberto Benito (15) - An original Hippo, I got the chance recently to buy him back from GM-CableGuy and he will soon join Starks and Phelan as the three original Legendary Hippopotami. Starks was the first great Hippo winger, Phelan the first striker, and Benito was the (offensive) middie.

Mortal Locks

Tim Kimber (1) - The man, the myth, the legend, and now coach. He was the "almost-excellent" (he was solid, but one week from excellent) keeper of the Hippos for many seasons. His spot is guaranteed in the HHH whenever he wants it.

Thomas Little (18) - Originally, one heck of a youth pull, but even tho he wasn't exactly what we were looking for a in a trainee, we decided to keep him and train him as I was training middies at the time. He ended up a week or two below ET playmaking and always had solid passing when we changed training. He has been with the Hippos his entire career and is the career leader in games played (315 and counting) and 3rd in goals.

Likely Candidates

Donald Sidorczak (12) - When the hattrick economy was at its pick, Houston purchased Donald for a team record $7.4 million. He was a world class winger with world class playmaking ability as well, a perfect winger for the team. He created all sorts of matchup problems as teams couldn't just stack their defense in the middle- they had to cover a wing, too. And I liked to be sneaky about which wing to put him on, depending on the opponent's defense and doing things like playing him on one side for a couple of week's straight coming into a crucial game and then flipping him, often giving Houston an advantage.

Charlie Partridge (11) and Erwin Vickers (17) - For many seasons, every Sunday you could expect these two along and Little manning the midfield for the Hippos. They are 3rd and 5th in games played for the franchise, respectively. Vickers was a naked middie who frequently played extra inner middie while Partridge usually played wing towards middle to boost the midfield and take advantage of his quick speciality for event goals.

Steven Williams (40) - First ever Hippo youth academy product. He was a passable defender and he didn't sell so I hung onto him so he could make the Hall of Fame. I play him whenever I don't have enough trainees to cover all spots and he's up to excellent defending now. He will probably always be a backup but he's the hometown hero.

Current Candidates

Still Out There

Quintin Staples - Timber was the first Hippo keeer legend but he is *the* Hippo keeper legend. I hated letting him go when I bought Bati but he was starting to go downhill and someone still paid almost 3.5M for a 30yo keeper. I hope that someday I will get a chance to buy him back.

Kris Jacobsen - All time leading scorer on the Hippos with 74 goals. He's still putting up 7 and 8 stars for a team in Danmark but I sold him off about a year ago before he got too old to sell.

Sergio Chapin - I was really hoping to retire this guy, what with him being passed around FOFC like the town bicycle. Unfortunately, a certain well known FOFC HT'er let her team go defunct so we may never get that chance.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-12-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #17
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Sergio Chapin - I was really hoping to retire this guy, what with him being passed around FOFC like the town bicycle. Unfortunately, a certain well known FOFC HT'er let her team go defunct so we may never get that chance.

Sorry 'bout that.
Ish.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fixture, Week 2: Houston Hippopotami - Selma Sumorats

Press Room
Quote:
(16:57) 20th Full Season and 600th Match Season 38 marks the 20th full season for the Houston Hippopotami franchise. The team officially started in season 18 but the season was already 4 weeks old.

Also, Sunday's fixture against the Selma Sumorats was the 600th match in Hippos history (according to HAM). In that time,
-279 of those have been fixtures
-206 have been friendlies
-112 have been cup games
-3 qualifiers
-we have outscored opponents 1689 (2.8 gpg) to 779 (1.3 gpg)

Fixture Preview

We need this game if we want any semblance of a good season. Selma's a team that we hope to be around in the standings at season's end so we have to beat them at home. In light of that, it was time to solve our keeper problem so, after shopping around for the week, Birger Manholt of Sweden was brought in.

First off, he looks mean. If you get a chance, go check out his picture (they don't cut and paste so well). However, he's 24, a week or two below outstanding, and in good form so I can plug him in immediately. Other formidable keepers go for $1.7/1.8M while outstandings go for $2.5M so $2.2M was a nice bargain.

Quote:
Birger Mĺnholt (160261180)
24 years and 78 days, Next birthday: 3-18-2009
Born in: Sverige

In excellent form, solid stamina.
A nasty fellow who is calm and honest.
Has inadequate experience and weak leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 2-6-2009 (3/39), 1s 10w 1d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 7 840
Wage: 6 012 $ (5 010 $) US/week including 20% Bonus
Warnings: 0
Injuries: 3 weeks

Stamina: solid Keeper: formidable
Playmaking: disastrous Passing: disastrous
Winger: disastrous Defending: wretched
Scoring: disastrous Set pieces: poor

In 6 matches, we are 3-2-1, getting a draw at their place last season but otherwise the home team has won. Goals in those games are a 9-9 tie so it's always tight with no differential being more than 2. The game should again be close but I expect to have a pretty substantial midfield advantage so hopefully that will carry the day for us. I also threw in a last minute curveball with Sidorczak returning to the starting lineup and adding a bunch of attack at the cost of a some midfield to Tor Tetlie's side. Hopefully that and our ability to play creatively will help us break their good defense.

Oh, and, hey, you get to see the home kits for the first time.

Kits

Hippopotami 3 – 0 Sumorats (217931278)

2-9-2009 01.00
30958 punters turned up at The Hippodrome, and despite threatening clouds on the horizon, no rain came. A 3-5-2 alignment was the formation of choice for Hippopotami. Lineup: Mĺnholt - Delcarte, Huenul, Cyburt - Sidorczak, Marsh, Thacker, Quijada, Regúlez - Tetlie, Angulo.

Sumorats decided to use a 3-4-3 set up. The following players took the field: Valenzuela - Guilloux, Keating, Verlugo - Anderson, Walters, Ferreira, Holman - Pisanzio, Kulik, Iltis.

Hippopotami showed off their creative tactics. Many thought Carlos Thacker ought to have been awarded a penalty shot 4 minutes into the game, as he went down trying to dribble around Noah Valenzuela after a determined run through the middle. 16 minutes into the match, the speedy Oliver Angulo easily outpaced Seth Keating to knock in the 1-0 goal. The home side's Zacarías Regúlez came close to extending the lead 23 minutes into the game. His shot came in from the right hand side but Noah Valenzuela managed to save it with an unbelievable reaction stop. The corner kick from Chema Delcarte set Tor Tetlie up perfectly, as he soared to meet the ball, heading it in for 2-0. Aurelius Huenul should probably have put his team up another goal after 39 minutes, but some great goalkeeping by Noah Valenzuela kept the visitors in the game. Halftime score was 2 - 0. The forty-five minutes were dominated by Hippopotami, with an impressive 60 percent possession of the ball.

Things were going to get worse for the visitors. Tor Tetlie squirmed himself through their central defence after 57 minutes, bringing the lead to 3 - 0. By now, Hippopotami were drawing the troops back in order to defend their lead. After 62 minutes a very unfortunate collision in the penalty area led to Hippopotami's Birger Mĺnholt being carried off the pitch and replaced by Tim Kimber. Hippopotami claimed to be the more dominant force in the game, and the statistics agreed with them - possession being 60 percent.

Tor Tetlie performed admirably for Hippopotami. However, Tim Kimber made a disastrous appearance. Tory Ferreira performed admirably for Sumorats. Carlo Pisanzio was a disappointment, however. The match ends 3 - 0.

Rating details

Houston Hippopotami Selma Sumorats
Midfield magnificent (very low) excellent (low)
Right Defence excellent (very low) magnificent (very low)
Central Defence solid (low) magnificent (high)
Left Defence poor (very high) brilliant (very high)
Right Attack inadequate (high) solid (very low)
Central Attack excellent (very low) inadequate (very high)
Left Attack solid (very high) poor (very low)
Indirect set pieces
Defence passable (low) solid (very low)
Attack solid (very low) passable (low)
Team Attitude Normal (Hidden)
Tactic Play creatively Normal
Tactic skill - (no tactic)

Highlights

1 - 0 Oliver Angulo 16'
2 - 0 Tor Tetlie 32'
3 - 0 Tor Tetlie 57'
Birger Mĺnholt 62'

Birger Mĺnholt
Tim Kimber
62'

Possession

60%

40%

60%

40%

Series Standings
(IE)

Team
Pld W D L GF GA ą Pts
1. Wahoos
2 2 0 0 16 0 16 6
2. T Hills FC 2 2 0 0 4 2 2 6
3. Supra Supreme
2 1 0 1 8 1 7 3
4. Selma Sumorats
2 1 0 1 6 4 2 3
5. Houston Hippopotami 2 1 0 1 3 8 -5 3
6. O.G. Kickers
2 0 1 1 2 7 -5 1
7. amblerabsbestos
2 0 1 1 1 12 -11 1
8. Bridgemen
2 0 0 2 2 8 -6 0

Fixture Recap

We just can't buy a break with the health of our keepers. In the second half, Manholt gets hurt and Kimber rushes in from the coaches spot (that should have been Milam but I guess I mixed up my lineup). Fortunately the gamble with Sidorczak paid off as we still had 60% possession on what looks like a Selma PIC. Angulo puts one in the back of the net 16 minutes in and then Tetlie adds 2 more.

Ozkutay should be back for next week's fixture but we won't really need much the next two weeks as the two walkovers are coming up. They tied each other last week in a 65 to 44 hatstats battle. So, it will be time to concentrate on the cup and get our team spirit to nice levels before getting into the meat of our schedule. We'll look pretty at 3-1 but then the real work will begin as everyone's record will look a little better this season with the dead teams.

SI

Old 02-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

God, if the prospect of starting from scratch wasn't so daunting (and annoying), I'd consider coming back.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Cup, Round 3: hoosier heroes - Houston Hippopotami

Cup Game Preview

Another pretty easy cup game. Same goals: PIC, get some team spirit, avoid injuries, and avoid cards.

Cup Game Box Score

Kits

hoosier 1 – 4 Hippopotami (218722386)

2-12-2009 01.00
The crowd of 21993 turning up at The Hoosier Center today were greeted with some nasty showers of rain. hoosier decided to use a 3-5-2 set up. The following players had been chosen: Neves - Álvarez, Popescu, Valsania - Hoskins, Gillis, Kawala, Grimes, Sepetçioğlu - Anderhall, Winslow.

Hippopotami decided to use a 3-5-2 set up. They fielded: Milam - 安粱 (Anliang) , Linneberg, Williams - Partridge, Little, Brik, Vickers, Weissglass - Masereel, Treibahs.

hoosier clearly preferred using their ability to attack in the middle. Hippopotami demonstrated their creative tactics on the field. 0 - 1 was the score with 5 minutes played, after Hippopotami's Volfs Treibahs cut through the central defence and chipped home a goal. Hippopotami's Adrien Masereel made it through the home team's defence on the right hand side 16 minutes into the match. After rounding the keeper, he only had to place the ball in the unguarded goal when a defender sprang up, clearing the ball on the line. With the scoreboard showing that 27 minutes had been played, Hippopotami nearly put themselves up another goal after Allan Brik came through on the left. Fortunately for the home crowd, the keeper made the save. After 31 minutes hoosier's Juán Winslow contracted a slight foot injury, but could finish the game. 32 minutes into the game a free kick by Ryan Linneberg found its way through the home side's poorly assembled defensive formation, making Hippopotami's lead 0 - 2. 33 minutes in, hoosier's Christer Anderhall received a yellow card for going into a challenge studs first. It might be a while before the fans see hoosier's Fabio Valsania again, after he had to leave the field in great distress at the 45 minute mark. He was replaced by Mike Gigax. 0 - 2 was the halftime score. Hippopotami held the ball, with a clear 57 percent of possession.

The muddy pitch made the game a gritty affair, which seemed to suit Adir Weissglass just fine. hoosier will have to do without Vasfi Sepetçioğlu for a time, due to a bad foot injury at the 52 minute mark. He was substituted by Ervin Potter. Always a threat, Juán Winslow tore past his marker and placed the ball right at the feet of the waiting Christer Anderhall who should have easily scored for hoosier, but the ball went wide. Charlie Partridge increased the visitors' lead by putting a volley shot away on a pass from the right. 0 - 3. After 66 minutes, a mistake by the home side's left defence allowed 麥 (Mai) 安粱 (Anliang) to get through. He outclassed the home side's keeper, adding another goal for the visitors. 0 - 4. The structure of the game started to change as Hippopotami decided to pull back and meet their opponents in their own half. 75 minutes in, Hippopotami's Charlie Partridge received a yellow card for going into a challenge studs first. A marvellous hoosier effort on the right-hand side resulted in a goal after 76 minutes by Gerard Kawala, making the score 1 - 4. Hippopotami claimed to be the more dominant force in the game, and the statistics agreed with them - possession being 53 percent.

hoosier's top performer was clearly Mark Gillis. Ervin Potter on the other hand, had a terrible day. Hippopotami's best player was Volfs Treibahs. Tomas Milam on the other hand, had a terrible day. The match ends 1 - 4.

Rating details

hoosier heroes Houston Hippopotami
Midfield poor (very high) inadequate (very low)
Right Defence weak (low) inadequate (low)
Central Defence weak (very high) inadequate (low)
Left Defence weak (very low) weak (high)
Right Attack inadequate (very low) wretched (very high)
Central Attack weak (high) weak (high)
Left Attack poor (very high) wretched (low)
Indirect set pieces
Defence weak (very low) weak (high)
Attack weak (very low) inadequate (low)
Tactic Attack in the Middle Play creatively
Tactic skill excellent -

Highlights

0 - 1 Volfs Treibahs 5'
0 - 2 Ryan Linneberg 32'
0 - 3 Charlie Partridge 63'
0 - 4 麥 (Mai) 安粱 (Anliang) 66'
1 - 4 Gerard Kawala 76'
Christer Anderhall 33'
Charlie Partridge 75'
Juán Winslow 31'
Fabio Valsania 45'
Vasfi Sepetçioğlu 52'

Fabio Valsania
Mike Gigax
45'

Vasfi Sepetçioğlu
Ervin Potter
52'

Possession

43%

57%

47%

53%

Cup Game Recap

Hey, my fans have finally stopped bleeding away now that I've reeled off 3 straight wins. I'm back to " No supporters joined or left the fan club. " Smart fans, my @$$. They just trickle in and out more slowly but they still bleed you and they still penalize you for actually trying to promote. Anyways, 21993 showed up in the rain so it can't be all bad.

So, got done what we needed. Win and advance.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-13-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(and now we're up to the present)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-13-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #22
finketr
College Prospect

so that's what the greyed-out stars mean.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #23
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fixture, Week 3: O.G. Kickers - Houston Hippopotami

Fixture Preview

This is the first of two walkovers in series and it's starting to sound like a broken record what with my cup games: win, no injuries, no cards. I'll put in the backups and concentrate on the cup for the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping to build up some team spirit to take as much advantage as I can of my schedule as others in this series will be doing.

Kits

Kickers 0 – 7 Hippopotami (217931283)

2-16-2009 01.00
The 27867 fans in attendance at The O.G. Corral were roasting in the hot sun. Kickers tactics involved an interesting 4-4-2 combination. The following players had been chosen: Temkov - Anderson, Dubois, Vidal, Gabriel - Parson, Moeller, Pipała, Mobley - Boling, Alhinho.

A 3-5-2 alignment was the formation of choice for Hippopotami. Lineup: Milam - Delcarte, Linneberg, Williams - Partridge, Little, Brik, Vickers, Weissglass - Masereel, Treibahs.

Hippopotami decided to play creatively. The left side created an opportunity for the visitors 8 minutes into the match, and Erwin Vickers wasn't about to let it go by. He got past the defenders and fired a shot that the keeper just missed. 0 - 1 for the visitors. After 16 minutes a combination in the middle resulted in a through ball for Adrien Masereel who increased Hippopotami's lead to 0 - 2. Hippopotami's Stephen Williams left the field after 17 minutes because of a nasty blow to the shin. His replacement was Aurelius Huenul. The visitors' Charlie Partridge took advantage of an error due to a misunderstanding between the home side's goalie and central backs 25 minutes into the match. 0 - 3 for Hippopotami. With 26 minutes played, a phenomenal play on the left side freed Volfs Treibahs, of Hippopotami, to dash through and score another goal for the visitors. The score was then 0 - 4. 32 minutes in, Kickers's Theron Gabriel received a yellow card for going into a challenge studs first. Halftime score was 0 - 4. Hippopotami held the ball, with a clear 64 percent of possession.

Hippopotami's Chema Delcarte received a play slashing through the home side's central defense after 57 minutes, and chipped it past the keeper to score the 0 - 5 goal. The home crowd was not pleased with that one. The structure of the game started to change as Hippopotami decided to pull back and meet their opponents in their own half. 65 minutes in, Kickers's Ken Moeller received a yellow card for going into a challenge studs first. A loud groan was heard from the fans of Hippopotami, as Volfs Treibahs left the pitch in too much pain to finish the match. Tor Tetlie took his place on the field. Hippopotami came close to extending their lead as Thomas Little delivered a long range shot from the right after 69 minutes, but the angle was too narrow and the shot went harmlessly into the side netting. After 70 minutes, a mistake by the home side's left defence allowed Adrien Masereel to get through. He outclassed the home side's keeper, adding another goal for the visitors. 0 - 6. A thrilling play through the middle 71 minutes into the match gave Hippopotami's Tor Tetlie a chance to increase the lead, and he did not disappoint. The score was then 0 - 7. Theron Gabriel knew he was in trouble after pulling back an opponent. Despite his pleading with the referee, the Kickers player was shown a second yellow card and dismissed from the game. When Juliusz Pipała left the game because of a back injury after 74 minutes, Kickers had to continue a man short due to there being no more available substitutions. Hippopotami claimed to be the more dominant force in the game, and the statistics agreed with them - possession being 72 percent.

Kickers's top performer was clearly Ken Moeller. However, Dave Mobley made a disastrous appearance. Hippopotami's top performer was clearly Tor Tetlie. Tomas Milam on the other hand, had a terrible day. The match ends 0 - 7.

Rating details

O.G. KickersHouston Hippopotami
Midfieldpoor (high)passable (very low)
Right Defencewretched (low)passable (low)
Central Defencepoor (low)passable (very low)
Left Defencepoor (very low)inadequate (very high)
Right Attackwretched (low)poor (low)
Central Attackwretched (low)inadequate (low)
Left Attackdisastrous (high)wretched (very high)
Indirect set pieces
Defenceweak (high)inadequate (very high)
Attackweak (high)passable (low)
Team Attitude(Hidden)Play it Cool
TacticNormalPlay creatively
Tactic skill(no tactic)-

Highlights

0 - 1 Erwin Vickers 8'
0 - 2 Adrien Masereel 16'
0 - 3 Charlie Partridge 25'
0 - 4 Volfs Treibahs 26'
0 - 5 Chema Delcarte 57'
0 - 6 Adrien Masereel 70'
0 - 7 Tor Tetlie 71'
Theron Gabriel 32'
Ken Moeller 65'
Theron Gabriel 73'
Stephen Williams 17'
Volfs Treibahs 66'
Juliusz Pipała 74'

Stephen Williams
Aurelius Huenul
17'

Volfs Treibahs
Tor Tetlie
66'

Juliusz Pipała
No substitute
74'

Possession

36%

64%

28%

72%

Series Standings

Team
Pld W D L GF GA ą Pts
1. Wahoos 3 2 1 0 19 3 16 7
2. Selma Sumorats 3 2 0 1 7 4 3 6
3. Houston Hippopotami 3 2 0 1 10 8 2 6
4. T Hills FC 3 2 0 1 4 3 1 6
5. Supra Supreme 3 1 1 1 11 4 7 4
6. Bridgemen 3 1 0 2 11 8 3 3
7. O.G. Kickers 3 0 1 2 2 14 -12 1
8. amblerabsbestos 3 0 1 2 1 21 -20 1

Fixture Recap

Another week, another two injuries. We're up to 3rd in the series but it's going to be screwy looking at the series table from one week to another due to the walkovers. Now onto our cup game with mostly starters.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-17-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #24
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

New Hippos

I've been selling off a couple of Hippos as they have gotten old enough to sell for a good profit. My current plan is pretty much buy at formidable with a secondary (either solid+ passing or divine sp) for around $1M and then sell off once they bump 3~4 levels (mag/wc) levels over 3ish seasons for $3.5-$4M.

I also have a pair of formidable playmaking defenders who I will keep around for quite a while (both are brilliant defenders) as they mean more to my team than they would fetch on the open market. I just sold off 3 guys over this past season at magnificent defense with excellent passing for $3.6M, $3.6M, and $3.2M. Prices are high at the moment so I got good sales prices. However, that also means new trainees will cost a bit.

So, here are your two newest Hippos:

Quote:
Zurab Kavelashvili (211697581)
19 years and 81 days, Next birthday: 3-20-2009
Born in: Sakartvelo
In passable form, passable stamina.
A controversial person who is balanced and dishonest.
Has wretched experience and disastrous leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 2-16-2009 (4/38), 1d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 4 480
Wage: 684 $ (570 $) US/week including 20% Bonus
Injuries: Healthy

Stamina: passable Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: weak Passing: solid
Winger: weak Defending: formidable
Scoring: wretched Set pieces: weak

Quote:
Itamar Gafni (202142462)
19 years and 103 days, Next birthday: 2-26-2009
Born in: Israel
In inadequate form, solid stamina.
A controversial person who is tranquil and honest.
Has disastrous experience and inadequate leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 2-16-2009 (4/38), 1d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 4 800
Wage: 804 $ (670 $) US/week including 20% Bonus
Speciality: Powerful

Stamina: solid Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: poor Passing: solid
Winger: poor Defending: formidable
Scoring: weak Set pieces: wretched

SI

Old 02-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Meet the Hippos, Part I

Introduction

It's a slow week in hattie so it's time to show the team. What does your average Div III USA team look like? No idea, but here are the current Hippos. We're a bit on the old side, but as long as I keep ahead of the training curve, I'll keep churning some profit into staying competitive. My biggest weakness is that I want to keep some players for my HOF, rather than selling off players when I could have made some good coin.

Part I: Coach, Goalkeepers, Bench, and Other Assorted Miscreants
Part II: Forwards, Middies/Wingers, and Defense Rotation

Supporter Statistics

TSI per player (average) 24 988
Total squad TSI 649 700
Average age 27
Current form (average) passable
Experience (average) passable
No. of players (excluding coaches) 26
Number of nationalities 14

For the curious, wages have me running at a bit of a loss with around $420K per week. But I'll have another post where I break apart team finances in hattie a little later on.

Coach

What more can be said about Tim "Timber" Kimber. Timber became Hippo coach prior to this season. You can read about his numerous exploits in the old Hippo threads and while his playing skills are no longer there, he is an excellent coach and mentor. He only had passable leadership but I couldn't pass up making this legend a coach.

I don't remember how long this has been around, but you can make a coach offensive-minded, defensive-minded, or just leave them neutral. I have a pretty balanced team so I just kept a neutral coach. Somewhere, I ran across the following stats:

Defense:
Offensive coach 92.957%
Defensive coach 120.01%
Neutral coach 105%

Offense:
Offensive coach 113.38%
Defensive coach 92.43%
Neutral coach 105%

Quote:
Tim Kimber (3952839) #1
41 years and 46 days, Next birthday: 4-24-2009
Born in: England
In inadequate form, wretched stamina.
A solid trainer who is neither attack nor defense-minded
A pleasant guy who is fiery and upright.
Has outstanding experience and passable leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 1-26-2009 (1/38), 3w 1d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 0
Wage: 300 $ (250 $) US/week including 20% Bonus

Stamina: wretched Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: non-existent Passing: non-existent
Winger: non-existent Defending: non-existent
Scoring: non-existent Set pieces: disastrous

Coach-In-Waiting

Maybe I should change Adir's number. He's clearly just going to step in as coach and that #96 will be his. For the record, Kimber and Starks were allowed to keep their numbers as they would had their numbers retired had they not gone on to coach. I'm just trying to get his experience up to solid before he goes and gets himself hurt where he won't recover at 35. He's not really a serviceable player with only passable playmaking but he only cost $205K at the time and all I have to do is find enough playing time for him to get that 1 level of experience. Then it's time to move onto another future coach trainee either for sale or the next coach.

FYI, clowns were debunked a couple of seasons ago so we don't have a clown. I hadn't had one for quite a while, tho, as I always felt it was more important to have a coach trainee than a clown. However, it did make me reconsider getting a future coach with bad agreeability.

Quote:
Adir Weissglass (118357573) #9
35 years and 34 days, Next birthday: 5-7-2009
In solid form, inadequate stamina.
A sympathetic guy who is balanced and dishonest.
Has passable experience and solid leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 12-16-2007 (6/34), 3s 13w 3d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 20

Stamina: inadequate Keeper: non-existent
Playmaking: passable Passing: poor
Winger: non-existent Defending: poor
Scoring: poor Set pieces: poor

Keepers

Bati Ozkutay, the Bursa Blockade, has been the starting keeper ever since we sold off franchise keeper Quintin Staples in late 2007. He's 26 so I won't be needing a new keeper for at least a couple more seasons. Secretly, I don't think he's as good as Q, lacking some intangibles like high experience, good set pieces, and a knack for the lucky save. However, he gets the job done and is a fine keeper in his own right.

You just saw me add Birger Manholt as the backup. He's an "elmost" brilliant keeper and that $6K per week wage is just fine for someone who can step in for a couple of weeks in Div III without too much of a dropoff. He's an insurance policy that cost a lot up front but isn't too bad weekly. Tomas Milam was a youth squad product (we'll get to more about that in a later post) but just wasn't getting the job done so he'll who will be sold off as soon as Manholt gets healthy

Quote:
Bati Ozkutay (120771596)#3
26 years and 42 days, Next birthday: 4-29-2009
Born in: Türkiye
In weak form, solid stamina.
Has solid experience and wretched leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 12-26-2007 (8/34), 3s 12w)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 52 050
Wage: 39 852 $ (33 210 $) US/week including 20% Bonus
Injuries: Bruised, but playing

Stamina: solid Keeper: extra-terrestrial
Playmaking: wretched Passing: disastrous
Winger: disastrous Defending: poor
Scoring: disastrous Set pieces: wretched

Quote:
Birger Mĺnholt (160261180) #5
24 years and 84 days, Next birthday: 3-18-2009
Born in: Sverige
In passable form, solid stamina.
A nasty fellow who is calm and honest.
Has inadequate experience and weak leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 2-6-2009 (2/38), 1w 5d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 8 230
Wage: 6 012 $ (5 010 $) US/week including 20% Bonus
Injuries: 2 weeks

Stamina: solid Keeper: formidable

Quote:
Tomas Milam (229428039) #4
19 years and 36 days, Next birthday: 5-5-2009
Born in: USA
In poor form, inadequate stamina.
A pleasant guy who is temperamental and honest.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 12-31-2008 (13/37), 7w)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 1 310
Wage: 1 750 US$/week

Stamina: inadequate Keeper: passable
Scoring: disastrous Set pieces: disastrous

Future Hippo Hall of Heroes

These are the guys I don't mind kicking a paycheck every week as they've earned it, kindof like a pension. Armengol and Benito will be retired in the next two seasons while Williams has a long career ahead of him, but I think he'll always be a Hippo unless I have some serious financial problems. For more about them, check out the HOF post.

For those who missed it, a couple of quick notes. Benito is an original Hippo and so old that he only has a 7 digit player id. By comparison, players now have 9 digit id's. Armengol was a wingback and then coach until Timber took over at the start of this season.

Steven Williams is the more curious case. He's the equivalent of the little walk-on that could. When promoted, he had poor defense but I'd throw him into friendlies when I didn't have enough players (i.e. after cup exits, he could play if I ran 5 defenders). He has since worked his way up to formidable and can take the field in meaningful games in a pinch.

Quote:
Carlos Alberto Benito (7555476) #15
41 years and 11 days, Next birthday: 5-30-2009
In poor form, disastrous stamina.
A popular guy who is calm and honest.
Has brilliant experience and wretched leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 10-30-2008 (4/37), 15w 6d)
Wage: 250 US$/week

Stamina: disastrous Keeper: non-existent
Scoring: non-existent Set pieces: disastrous

Quote:
Xacobo Armengol (12204465) #97
42 years and 76 days, Next birthday: 3-26-2009
Born in: Colombia
In wretched form, disastrous stamina.
A solid trainer who is neither attack nor defence-minded
A pleasant guy who is temperamental and honest.
Has excellent experience and weak leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 7-18-2007 (1/33), 5s 3w)

Stamina: disastrous Keeper: non-existent
Scoring: non-existent Set pieces: non-existent

Quote:
Stephen Williams (170885715) #40
22 years and 33 days, Next birthday: 5-8-2009
A pleasant guy who is calm and honest.
Has wretched experience and passable leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 7-21-2007 (1/33), 5s 2w 4d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 1 580
Wage: 810 US$/week
Injuries: 1 weeks

Winger: disastrous Defending: formidable

The End of the Bench

Need a warm body? Here's where to go. After doing this writeup, I'm considering tossing a couple up for sale since they don't serve much of a purpose. I'm not paying them much in wages and their purpose was to play in friendlies so someone else didn't get hurt. They aren't even competent subs for cup or fixtures any more. However, they were bought back when I didn't have a couple of the Hippo Hall of Heroes guys down at the end of the bench waiting patiently.

I might float Meydac or Masereel just to see if I get bites. Brik is a more curious case. He's always been a backup and will always be a backup but he's been with the Hippos forever. He came to us back in season 26 as a formidable middie, back when that was a competent backup for the team and I've never gotten rid of him. Over the past couple of seasons, I've moved some previously starting middies to backup duty as they've gotten old (Little and Vickers, specifically) so he's been rendered obsolete. Maybe that gets him an honorary spot in the Hall of Fame.

So, I guess at the end of the day, 2 of these guys are probably getting sold and another one is probably headed to the Hippo Hall of Heroes. Glad that's sorted out.

Quote:
Rumulo Aristóbulo Meydac (165550288) #14
26 years and 52 days, Next birthday: 4-19-2009
Born in: Argentina
In inadequate form, passable stamina.
A nasty fellow who is calm and infamous.
Has wretched experience and inadequate leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 11-11-2007 (1/34), 4s 2w 3d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 940
Wage: 444 $ (370 $) US/week including 20% Bonus
Speciality: Quick

Playmaking: inadequate Passing: inadequate
Winger: passable Defending: weak

Quote:
Adrien Masereel (playerid=47489963) #26
32 years and 57 days, Next birthday: 4-14-2009
Born in: Schweiz
A pleasant guy who is balanced and upright.
Has weak experience and wretched leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 11-11-2007 (1/34), 4s 2w 3d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 370
Wage: 396 $ (330 $) US/week including 20% Bonus
Speciality: Head

Playmaking: weak Passing: passable
Winger: poor Defending: poor
Scoring: passable Set pieces: poor

Quote:
Allan Brik (23026522) #19
34 years and 64 days, Next birthday: 4-7-2009
Born in: Eesti
In passable form, inadequate stamina.
A pleasant guy who is calm and righteous.
Has excellent experience and weak leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 6-1-2005 (2/26), 12s 2w)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 130
Wage: 444 $ (370 $) US/week including 20% Bonus

Playmaking: solid Passing: disastrous
Winger: wretched Defending: weak
Scoring: inadequate Set pieces: poor

SI

Old 02-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #26
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Meet the Hippos Part II

Forwards

We more or less have a three forward rotation, depending on form and injuries. Two, Tor Tetlie and Oliver Angulo, are the ideal starters as they both have titanic scoring and good passing. Both are part of an overall strategy of the team to have a little of an events based team to squeeze out some extra goals. Angulo can get those quick events while Tetlie is a head guy and can take advantage of the divine set pieces defenders we send out there.

Volfs Treibahs was a starter with us for a brief time while retooling, but he makes a great super sub with brilliant scoring, solid passing, and head speciality. He has filled in quite a bit in case of injuries and awful form on the part of the other two so he's like having a good proven sub around because you know your stars can't stay healthy.

Quote:
Tor Tetlie (131517192) #28
26 years and 27 days, Next birthday: 5-15-2009
Born in: Norge
In solid form, solid stamina.
A popular guy who is calm and honest.
Has weak experience and weak leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 8-20-2008 (10/36), 1s 10w 1d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 65 440
Wage: 36 996 $ (30 830 $) US/week including 20% Bonus

Playmaking: poor Passing: passable
Winger: weak Defending: weak
Scoring: titanic Set pieces: poor

Quote:
Oliver Angulo (129370922) #25
25 years and 11 days, Next birthday: 5-31-2009
Born in: Espańa
In passable form, excellent stamina.
A pleasant guy who is balanced and honest.
Has inadequate experience and wretched leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 3-18-2008 (4/35), 3s 2d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 68 130
Wage: 36 492 $ (30 410 $) US/week including 20% Bonus

Stamina: excellent Keeper: disastrous
Winger: wretched Defending: passable
Scoring: titanic Set pieces: wretched

Quote:
Volfs Treibahs (82894503) #27
27 years and 101 days, Next birthday: 3-2-2009
Born in: Latvija
A nasty fellow who is balanced and honest.
Has passable experience and weak leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 7-3-2006 (11/29), 8s 9w 3d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 16 140
Wage: 6 060 $ (5 050 $) US/week including 20% Bonus
Injuries: 1 weeks

Winger: wretched Defending: solid
Scoring: brilliant Set pieces: poor

Wingers

I can't remember the last time we played anything other than a 3-5-2 in a meaningful game as that's what the Hippos are built around. That means winger tactics are key. I love playing creatively so I don't stack the middle and go AIM like most teams so any attacks that I can get on the side are hugely important. With Sidorczak rejoining the team in the past season, we have some added flexibility on what to do and I've employed that of late.

Zacarias Regulez pretty much always starts- he's your prototypical winger. He has titanic wing skills to add a lot to the attack and formidable playmaking ability to help boost the midfield a little. He can also score on head events. I'd like to upgrade him to something quick, maybe with a little more passing, and get younger as he's 27. But, as ever, great combo wings are expensive! That's a project that's been on the back burner for the past season or two but will probably happen this season or next before he loses all of his sale value.

Previously, former middie Charlie Partridge was our other winger. He worked great in a pinch as he also was a veteran middie (brilliant experience). Titanic playmaking at wing towards middle was not the worst thing you could do with a winger, particularly one who could get quick events.

Now, however, I brought back Donald Sidorczak to retire to the Hall (only $750K!). Back in the day, he was the $7M man ($7.4M, actually) as he had world class playmaking and world class winger skills. He was one hell of an edge to trot out onto the field as you could get a nice wing attack without losing a step on the midfield. Now he's 34 and still magnificent/magnificent but his TSI and stamina are falling. Still, he's good enough at the moment that I can get a pretty good second or third attack out of him without sacrificing too much midfield.

Quote:
Zacarías Regúlez (95241738) #20
27 years and 73 days, Next birthday: 4-3-2009
A sympathetic guy who is balanced and dishonest.
Has passable experience and poor leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 3-20-2008 (4/35), 3s 4d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 55 080
Wage: 22 044 $ (18 370 $) US/week including 20% Bonus

Playmaking: formidable Passing: weak
Winger: titanic Defending: weak
Scoring: weak Set pieces: weak

Quote:
Charlie Partridge (37800274) #11
32 years and 3 days, Next birthday: 6-12-2009
A pleasant guy who is balanced and honest.
Has brilliant experience and inadequate leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 12-7-2005 (13/27), 10s 7w 5d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 26 200
Wage: 24 450 US$/week
Warnings: 2

Playmaking: titanic Passing: weak
Winger: poor Defending: solid
Scoring: wretched Set pieces: passable

Quote:
Donald Sidorczak (21146546) #12
34 years and 7 days, Next birthday: 6-8-2009
Born in: Polska
A sympathetic guy who is temperamental and dishonest.
Has world class experience and wretched leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 1-5-2009 (14/37), 7w)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 5 410
Wage: 4 164 $ (3 470 $) US/week including 20% Bonus

Playmaking: magnificent Passing: wretched
Winger: magnificent Defending: poor
Scoring: disastrous Set pieces: formidable

Midfield

Not doing anything real revolutionary here. I have an offensive middie, a regular middie, and another regular middie who plays extra inner midfielder. In a pinch, I have a pair of "older" middies who could still hold their own. They're not guys I want starting for me because of their injury risk and advancing age but they sure as heck are good backups and cup-quality middies. And did I mention: they're all American.

Juan Alberto Quijada continues the long Hippo tradition of offensive inner middies starting with Carlos Alberto Benito. He's 31, so he's getting up there but he can still hold his own with titanic playmaking and solid passing. His midfield mates are a pair of 26 year old middies in Carlos Thacker, who I occasionally play offensive (mythical pm, passable passing), and Damion Marsh (extra-terrestrial pm).

Thomas Little and Erwin Vickers are Hippos destined for the Hall who can still play. Little was a Hippo youth pull back in the day and trained up until he was almost an ET playmaker. At his peak, he was ET-1 pm with excellent passing and excellent set pieces. Now he's 35 and still world class/passable. Vickers is 35 and still has titanic playmaking. Again, both can play in a pinch with bad form but their stamina isn't really where it needs to be in Div III.

Quote:
Juan Alberto Quijada (58781088) #10
31 years and 82 days, Next birthday: 3-25-2009
A sympathetic guy who is tranquil and upright.
Has formidable experience and passable leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 10-25-2006 (11/30), 7s 9w 5d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 43 460
Wage: 31 970 US$/week

Playmaking: titanic Passing: solid
Winger: passable Defending: inadequate
Scoring: inadequate Set pieces: inadequate

Quote:
Carlos Thacker (112904309) #8
26 years and 15 days, Next birthday: 5-31-2009
A pleasant guy who is balanced and righteous.
Has solid experience and inadequate leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 10-30-2008 (4/37), 1s 4d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 135 680
Wage: 88 990 US$/week
Warnings: 1

Playmaking: mythical Passing: passable
Winger: poor Defending: inadequate
Scoring: poor Set pieces: poor

Quote:
Damion Marsh (113922816) #16
26 years and 79 days, Next birthday: 3-28-2009
A sympathetic guy who is balanced and honest.
Has passable experience and inadequate leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 5-20-2008 (13/35), 2s 7w 6d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 84 020
Wage: 65 090 US$/week

Playmaking: extra-terrestrial Passing: poor
Winger: weak Defending: weak
Scoring: weak Set pieces: weak

Quote:
Thomas Little (15126966) #18
35 years and 86 days, Next birthday: 3-21-2009
In passable form, weak stamina.
A controversial person who is balanced and honest.
Has world class experience and poor leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 8-4-2003 (3/20), 18s 2w)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 2 400
Wage: 2 630 US$/week

Stamina: weak Keeper: non-existent
Playmaking: world class Passing: passable
Winger: disastrous Defending: inadequate
Scoring: disastrous Set pieces: solid

Quote:
Erwin Vickers (15937430) #17
35 years and 23 days, Next birthday: 5-23-2009
A controversial person who is fiery and honest.
Has magnificent experience and poor leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 2-18-2005 (3/25), 13s 1w 3d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 5 480
Wage: 5 150 US$/week

Playmaking: titanic Passing: disastrous
Winger: disastrous Defending: poor

Defenders

A long time ago, we all looked at the hattrick world and knew that training was how to make a profit in the game. One always has to ask what to train. Keepers have always been too slow and unprofitable while wingers have always been witchcraft. There were interesting models like set pieces or passing but always seemed too "experimental" and the problem was that if HT nerfed that particular skill, those trainers were completely screwed.

That leaves the "big three" types- scoring, playmaking, and defense. Even if rebalancing was done to the game engine- those would always be useful in some aspect. Your margins might go up or down but you wouldn't be wiped out with a gameplay change. I started out with middies as they made the best profit back in the day and were the best way to improve your team. The problem with training middies is that it's too darn important to the game engine. You either introduce inefficiency to your market system (selling before an optimum time) or you'd have a cycle similar to college sports where you would have good years as those players got older (similar to a team full of seniors) but then you'd take a step back after the sales.

I also tried strikers but offense was much more powerful than defense at the time so you didn't even want to take a hit to your second most important skill so I settled on defense. It wasn't hugely profitable and it was slow, but I could make some money on the side while not hurting my team's performance. So long as I ran with a good midfield, they wouldn't get many chances against my subpar defense, anyways. The engine has gradually made defense more powerful, almost to the point of eclipsing offense, but this is still a reasonable way to go (particularly since I can run out 3 defenders as opposed to 2 strikers).

Now, I don't train naked defenders as I don't think that's nearly as profitable as training guys with secondaries. I train three types: guys with good playmaking for personal use as OCD's (eventual sells, I guess), big money guys in terms of defenders with solid+ passing, and older guys with divine set pieces, both so I can take advantage of their abilities but also so I can sell them off and cycle in new ones.

Also, I don't start with 17yo solids. I can save myself 1.5 seasons of training and some defense skill by buying a little higher up the ladder. This tradeoff costs me some cash, but I find it in the best interest of my team's play. I'll do more on the training entry, which it looks like I've already written half of.

Aurelius Huenul and Arkadiusz Cyburt are the current OCDs: both 23 with formidable playmaking and brilliant defense. The two divine set pieces guys are Chema Delcarte (magnificent defense) and Ryan Linneberg (brilliant defense)- they're 26 and 25, respectively, and have been on the transfer market for a few weeks now. I'd like to cycle them out, soon. Then there are the new guys: Zurab Kavelashvili and Itamar Gafni. Both are 19 old, have formidable defense (should bump in the next week or two) and solid passing. Both were bought for just over $1M and replaced 3 players who were sold between $3.3M and $3.6M over the past season and a half.

Quote:
Aurelius Huenul (166033259) #32
23 years and 82 days, Next birthday: 3-26-2009
Born in: Chile
In solid form, excellent stamina.
Has weak experience and inadequate leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 4-9-2008 (7/35), 2s 13w 6d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 24 930
Wage: 5 124 $ (4 270 $) US/week including 20% Bonus

Playmaking: formidable Passing: poor
Winger: poor Defending: brilliant
Scoring: wretched Set pieces: solid

Quote:
Arkadiusz Cyburt (173675317) #34
23 years and 30 days, Next birthday: 5-17-2009
Born in: Polska
In passable form, excellent stamina.
A sympathetic guy who is calm and honest.
Has poor experience and weak leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 5-8-2008 (11/35), 2s 9w 5d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 22 240
Wage: 5 460 $ (4 550 $) US/week including 20% Bonus

Playmaking: formidable Passing: wretched
Scoring: passable Set pieces: passable

Quote:
Chema Delcarte (147461858) #37
26 years and 78 days, Next birthday: 3-30-2009
A controversial person who is calm and dishonest.
Has poor experience and weak leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 10-13-2007 (13/33), 4s 7w 3d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 16 350
Wage: 7 932 $ (6 610 $) US/week including 20% Bonus

Playmaking: wretched Passing: poor
Winger: wretched Defending: magnificent
Scoring: wretched Set pieces: divine

Quote:
Ryan Linneberg (150988746) #38
25 years and 94 days, Next birthday: 3-14-2009
Born in: Danmark
A controversial person who is balanced and honest.
Has poor experience and inadequate leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 2-11-2008 (15/34), 3s 6w 1d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 11 100
Wage: 3 972 $ (3 310 $) US/week including 20% Bonus

Playmaking: wretched Passing: poor
Scoring: poor Set pieces: divine

Quote:
Zurab Kavelashvili (211697581) #35
19 years and 88 days, Next birthday: 3-20-2009
Born in: Sakartvelo

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 2-16-2009 (4/38), 1w 1d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 4 200
Wage: 684 $ (570 $) US/week including 20% Bonus
Injuries: Bruised, but playing

Winger: weak Defending: formidable

Quote:
Itamar Gafni (202142462) #36
19 years and 110 days, Next birthday: 2-26-2009
In weak form, solid stamina.
Has disastrous experience and inadequate leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 2-16-2009 (4/38), 1w 1d)
Total Skill Index (TSI): 4 920
Wage: 804 $ (670 $) US/week including 20% Bonus

Playmaking: poor Passing: solid
Winger: poor Defending: formidable

Conclusion

So, to put it all together- we have a lot of depth due to keeping a lot of older guys around to retire. We have at least one really good backup at all positions in the event of injuries or bad form, more at the all important midfield spot. We can play some fun tactics with it all, too.

So, here's the real depth chart, not including the "spare parts", with skills in parens and numbers on primary skills for those who need to brush up a little:

GK: Ozkutay (ET:16) /// Manholt (Form:9)
CD1: Huenul-offensive (Bril:11/Form:9 PM) /// Kavelashvili (Form:9/Solid Pass)
CD2: Cyburt-offensive (Bril:11/Form:9 PM) /// Gafni (Form:9/Solid Pass/Powerful)
WB: Delcarte (Mag:12/Divine SP/Head) /// Linneberg (Bril:11/Divine SP)
WI1: Regulez (Titan:15 Wing/Form:9 PM/Head) /// Sidorczak (Mag:12 Wing/Mag:12 PM/Powerful)
IM: Quijada-offensive (Titan:15 PM/Solid Pass/Powerful) /// Little-offensive (WC:13 PM/Pass Pass)
XIM: Marsh (ET:16 PM)
IM: Thacker-offensive/normal (Myth:17 PM/Pass Pass/Inad Def) /// Vickers (Titan:15 PM)
WI2: Partridge- toward middle (Titan:15 PM/Quick)
FO1: Angulo (Titan:15/Solid Pass/Quick) /// Treibahs (Bril:11/Solid Pass/Head)
FO2: Tetlie (Titan:15/Pass Pass/Head)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-23-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Cup, Round 4: Canadians - Houston Hippopotami

Cup Game Preview

If I could design my own schedule, I would have moved these series walkovers out until weeks 5/6 or maybe 6/7 to try and stretch out my cup run. Rarely in Div III do you get a chance to concentrate on the cup like I will get to this week and next.

You saw the lineups from Sunday against OG Kickers- it was mostly backups in a team-spirit-building PIC. We will still be PIC'ing for this match, but the lineup will mostly be starters. However, faithful Hippo fanatics will get a chance to check out the two newest Hippos in international defense trainees Zurab Kavelashvili and Itamar Gafni.

As for our opponent today, the Canadians, who are from Dallas, naturally, focus mainly on defense. They could be a good CA'ing team except they don't really do anything else well- they can't attack and their midfield is mediocre. They are a middle-of-the-pack Div V team and, while they will slow our offense down, we should win a low scoring affair pretty handily.

The Canadians share V.21 with the Cowtown Seacows/Airborn Penguins, a name that might look familiar to some

Cup Game Box Score

Kits

Canadians 2 – 3 Hippopotami (218967886)

2-19-2009 01.00
The weather was pretty good, and a crowd of 35000 had shown up at Nortel Stadium for the match. Canadians tactics involved an interesting 5-4-1 combination. Starters: Turpín - Farrar, Ried, Moquin, Silva, Fredriksen - Cavazza, Seward, Dragutinović, Garza - Hennen.

A 3-5-2 alignment was the formation of choice for Hippopotami. The following players took the field: Özkutay - Kavelashvili, Cyburt, Gafni - Sidorczak, Thacker, Marsh, Quijada, Regúlez - Tetlie, Angulo.

Hippopotami displayed their ability to play creatively. Maximiliano Turpín looked great 7 minutes into the match after stopping a shot by the visitors' Itamar Gafni. With 16 minutes played, Hippopotami's Zurab Kavelashvili fell dramatically just outside the penalty area. However, the referee booked Zurab Kavelashvili for diving. After 21 minutes Oliver Angulo made a speedy advance and dropped the ball to Tor Tetlie who shuffled it past the keeper. The score was now 0 - 1. Canadians's Brad Seward placed the ball right at his teammate's feet after a corner, but Darío Silva couldn't finish. With a shot floated in from just outside the penalty area after 28 minutes played, Steve Moquin of Canadians evened the score to 1 - 1. Hippopotami's Carlos Thacker got himself booked for a foul. The visiting Oliver Angulo was booed thoroughly by the home crowd 44 minutes into the game, after he broke through the middle and scored, resulting in the visitors taking the lead. 1 - 2 was the score. It was 1 - 2 at the break. Hippopotami held the ball, with a clear 65 percent of possession.

A surprising free kick routine after 56 minutes nearly resulted in another goal for the visitors, but the ball went just a little wide. With 63 minutes played, Canadians's Alun Farrar fell dramatically just outside the penalty area. However, the referee booked Alun Farrar for diving. With the crowd on their feet chanting wildly, some great moves down the right hand side after 70 minutes gave Canadians a wonderful opportunity to level the score, and Alun Farrar stepped up to the challenge, netting the 2 - 2 goal. Itamar Gafni's lack of experience almost gave Canadians a goal after 78 minutes, but the shot went right into the keeper's arms. 82 minutes were showing on the scoreboard when Canadians's Alun Farrar received his second yellow card and was sent off. Zurab Kavelashvili was the unlucky victim and couldn't continue the game, so Hippopotami's Ryan Linneberg had to come off the bench. A mistake by the home side's central defence after 84 minutes allowed Itamar Gafni to score the 2 - 3 goal for Hippopotami. Many in the crowd felt the referee was being too lenient when he only showed Canadians's Riccardo Cavazza a yellow card after a mistimed challenge from behind 85 minutes into the game. Donald Sidorczak came close to extending the visitors' lead when he found himself completely unmarked in front of the goal after a pass through the middle, but he lifted the ball over Maximiliano Turpín and it was a little too high and hit the bar. Hippopotami held the ball, with a clear 66 percent of possession.

Canadians's best player was Darío Silva. Riccardo Cavazza on the other hand, had a terrible day. The most dominating Hippopotami player was without a doubt Tor Tetlie. Itamar Gafni was a disappointment, however. The match ends 2 - 3.

Rating details

Canadians Houston Hippopotami
Midfield weak (very high) excellent (very low)
Right Defence formidable (low) solid (very low)
Central Defence magnificent (low) passable (high)
Left Defence formidable (very low) passable (very low)
Right Attack poor (high) inadequate (very high)
Central Attack poor (very high) excellent (high)
Left Attack inadequate (very low) excellent (low)
Indirect set pieces
Defence passable (high) inadequate (low)
Attack weak (very high) inadequate (very high)

Highlights

0 - 1 Tor Tetlie 21'
1 - 1 Steve Moquin 28'
1 - 2 Oliver Angulo 44'
2 - 2 Alun Farrar 70'
2 - 3 Itamar Gafni 84'
Zurab Kavelashvili 16'
Carlos Thacker 33'
Alun Farrar 63'
Alun Farrar 82'
Riccardo Cavazza 85'
Zurab Kavelashvili 83'

Zurab Kavelashvili
Ryan Linneberg
83'

Cup Game Recap

Yet another injury. We are having no luck at all this season with staying healthy. At least Zurab isn't out for very long. Itamar had a better game with the winning goal. It was a little closer than I would have guessed, but we were never behind the entire game. More team spirit built up and onto our second of two walkovers.

SI

Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #28
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fixture, Week 4: amblerabsbestos - Houston Hippopotami

Fixture Preview

I don't think I've possibly mentioned enough that we have 2 walkovers in the series this season. Manholt's injury did coincide with this, thankfully, so Milam will get another start. You'll also get to see another pair who rarely play in important games in Brik and Weissglass, who is still looking for that elusive experience to get him up to the solid/solid necessary to become a future coach.

Kits

amblerabsbestos 0 – 8 Hippopotami (217931286)

2-23-2009 01.00
Overcast weather free of rain made for a crowd turnout of 32616 at 'stos Dome today. A 4-4-2 alignment was the formation of choice for amblerabsbestos. The following players had been chosen: Robles - Kowalski, Noyes, Caudillo, Hollis - Kenney, Granado, Burnett, Sparks - Waldron, Scales.

Hippopotami decided to use a 3-5-2 set up. Starters: Milam - Delcarte, Linneberg, Williams - Partridge, Little, Brik, Vickers, Weissglass - Tetlie, Angulo.

Hippopotami showed off their creative tactics. The visitors could have taken the lead from a free kick after 19 minutes, if it wasn't for the jaw-dropping save by Lawrence Robles. Hippopotami's Thomas Little gave the visitors a 0 - 1 lead after 20 minutes with a superb strike from the right. After 29 minutes, a mistake by the home side's left defence allowed Adir Weissglass to get through. He outclassed the home side's keeper, adding another goal for the visitors. 0 - 2. The referee showed amblerabsbestos's Ricky Kenney the yellow card after a particularly nasty challenge. The visitors' Adir Weissglass took advantage of an error due to a misunderstanding between the home side's goalie and central backs 32 minutes into the match. 0 - 3 for Hippopotami. With 33 minutes played, Hippopotami put themselves up 0 - 4 after an attack from the right, caused by a defensive blunder. The scorer was Allan Brik. The structure of the game started to change as Hippopotami decided to pull back and meet their opponents in their own half. It was 0 - 4 at the break. This half belonged to Hippopotami, who controlled the ball 86 percent of the time.

After 69 minutes, a mistake by the home side's left defence allowed Oliver Angulo to get through. He outclassed the home side's keeper, adding another goal for the visitors. 0 - 5. A drive on the left side allowed Hippopotami's Charlie Partridge to get in close and score a goal after 71 minutes, leading to 0 - 6. The Hippopotami free kick 73 minutes into the match seemed wasted, as the shot was both short and off target. But there was an idea to it - the misdirected ball was turned into a cross towards Oliver Angulo, who was waiting for it in the box. That's 0 - 7! Don't forget to thank the assistant coach for that gem of a routine! With 73 minutes played, a phenomenal play on the left side freed Tor Tetlie, of Hippopotami, to dash through and score another goal for the visitors. The score was then 0 - 8. Hippopotami's Ryan Linneberg was shown a yellow card for standing over the ball and blocking an opponent's quick free kick after 76 minutes. Tor Tetlie could have put his team up another goal 80 minutes into the game, after a rush down the left, but his closing shot hit the post. Hippopotami held the ball, with a clear 88 percent of possession.

Ricky Kenney performed admirably for amblerabsbestos. Kermit Scales on the other hand, had a terrible day. Tor Tetlie performed admirably for Hippopotami. Tomas Milam was a disappointment, however. The match ends 0 - 8.

Rating details

amblerabsbestos Houston Hippopotami
Midfield disastrous (very high) passable (very low)
Right Defence poor (high) passable (low)
Central Defence poor (very low) inadequate (very high)
Left Defence wretched (very low) inadequate (very low)
Right Attack disastrous (very high) weak (low)
Central Attack disastrous (high) excellent (low)
Left Attack disastrous (high) poor (high)
Indirect set pieces
Defence wretched (very high) inadequate (very high)
Attack wretched (low) passable (high)

Highlights

0 - 1 Thomas Little 20'
0 - 2 Adir Weissglass 29'
0 - 3 Adir Weissglass 32'
0 - 4 Allan Brik 33'
0 - 5 Oliver Angulo 69'
0 - 6 Charlie Partridge 71'
0 - 7 Oliver Angulo 73'
0 - 8 Tor Tetlie 73'
Ricky Kenney 31'
Ryan Linneberg 76'

Possession

14%

86%

12%

88%

Series Standings (IE)

Team
Pld W D L GF GA ą Pts
1. Houston Hippopotami 4 3 0 1 18 8 10 9
2. T Hills FC
4 3 0 1 9 3 6 9
3. Selma Sumorats
4 3 0 1 11 6 5 9
4. Wahoos
4 2 1 1 21 7 14 7
5. Supra Supreme
4 2 1 1 18 4 14 7
6. Bridgemen
4 1 0 3 11 15 -4 3
7. O.G. Kickers
4 0 1 3 2 19 -17 1
8. amblerabsbestos
4 0 1 3 1 29 -28 1

Fixture Recap

Whoops. I did not mean to play Williams at all this week. That's a bit annoying actually as now one of the new trainees will miss a week of training. Haven't had a week yet where everything went according to plan, what with all the injuries, so why should this be any different.

After the game, my supporters are the highest I've ever seen: "Sending Love Poems to You". Great, except, it only took 6 wins in a row to get there, I'm still only getting 3, 4, and 3 these last 3 updates and I'm still down 7 from the end of last season, despite winning 7 of 8 this season, all in competitive games (i.e. no friendlies). Smart fans, indeed!

Oh, and did I mention we're in first. Doesn't really count since I'm the only team in the series who has played both of the walkovers already. Next week's match will loom fairly large as we need to hold serve at home against T Hills FC to have any shot at a good finish in the series.

Off the Field

Weissglass bumped! We now have a future coach. As I just got a new coach this season in Timber, it's decision time. Do I go with Weissglass as the next coach of the Hippos, sitting on him for at least 3 seasons, or do I sell him off (looks like solid/solid goes for $500-600K), buy another "coach trainee" at $100-$200K and start again? I hate to sit on him and waste a "training" spot.

Also, speaking to last week's roster considerations, Meydac and Masereel were sold off for $25K and $15K. They also save us about $1K per week in wages for players who never played. This will prove annoying if I have too many injuries and don't have warm bodies for friendlies, but that shouldn't be a problem with all the extra guys on the roster.

Maybe I could combine the two issues- once I'm kicked from the cup, I'll check out where I need friendly-level players on the pitch and grab a prospective coach to play there.

SI

Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #29
finketr
College Prospect

The III into II promotion table:
5. Members Only 26 - 10 13
6. Max's Marauders 18 - 3 13
7. FC ZUCKERHUT 03 20 - 6 13
8. CC FC 15 - 7 13
9. StocksQuest 24 - 7 12
10. One Striker 22 - 7 12
11. Houston Hippopotami 22 - 8 12
12. Holy Crusaders 19 - 5 12
Old 03-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
The III into II promotion table:
5. Members Only 26 - 10 13
6. Max's Marauders 18 - 3 13
7. FC ZUCKERHUT 03 20 - 6 13
8. CC FC 15 - 7 13
9. StocksQuest 24 - 7 12
10. One Striker 22 - 7 12
11. Houston Hippopotami 22 - 8 12
12. Holy Crusaders 19 - 5 12

I'm actually at my highest rank ever:
Ranked 51

I was kindof hoping to get that to 50 but no such luck

I'm going to take a L this week and drop to 3rd in the series. But more on that in a little bit- doing some more writeups currently that should be appearing in the next hour or so

Where did you find the tables? Hatstats is badly out of date these days and alltid doesn't do it until after week 7

If only I knew who that dastardly CC FC was, I could knock him off and take over the auto-promotion spot

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-04-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #31
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Cup, Round 5: RustyTrombones – Houston Hippopotami

Cup Game Preview

I have been pretty lucky so far this cup season. I have yet to run across a team that has too much midfield so I just load up there, PIC to build up team spirit, and move on. This week looks no different. The Rusty Trombones, our Round 5 opponent, are a middle-of-the-pack Div V team. Don't really know much about them or V.137, their series.

Cup Game Box Score

Kits

RustyTrombones 3 – 6 Hippopotami (219220233)

2-26-2009 01.00
Clear skies welcomed the 40000 spectators who had made their way to The Fudge Factory. RustyTrombones had chosen a strategic 3-4-3 formation. The following players took the field: Lau - Mccord, Demare, Whitney - Sielhof, Gassend, Sauerhammer, Hilker - Wheeler, Wolgast, Kelcher.

Hippopotami started off with a 3-5-2 lineup. They fielded: Özkutay - Kavelashvili, Huenul, Cyburt - Sidorczak, Thacker, Marsh, Quijada, Regúlez - Treibahs, Angulo.

RustyTrombones used their skill at pressing to cut off the attack angles of their opponents all over the field. Hippopotami decided to play creatively. Many in the crowd felt the referee was being too lenient when he only showed Hippopotami's Carlos Thacker a yellow card after a mistimed challenge from behind 7 minutes into the game. Some quick footwork on the left side of the field 10 minutes into the match left Hippopotami's Donald Sidorczak completely free to score. 0 - 1 for the visitors. A well placed corner kick from Donald Sidorczak was followed by Zacarías Regúlez's hard but accurate header. The nice combination marked a goal for Hippopotami, the score now 0-2. The home crowd were delighted when Lewis Wheeler scored with a header after an attack from the right, making the score 1 to 2. But did he use his hand? That'll be one for the pundits to talk about after the game, that's for sure! After 28 minutes RustyTrombones's Martin Philipp Wolgast limped slightly after a late challenge, but he was able to continue. 1 - 2 was the score after the first half. Hippopotami claimed to be the more dominant force in the game, and the statistics agreed with them - possession being 61 percent.

Robert Demare got left behind when Hippopotami's Oliver Angulo made a sudden pull forward after 54 minutes, finishing off with a swift strike. 1-3! The visitors' Oliver Angulo took advantage of an error due to a misunderstanding between the home side's goalie and central backs 63 minutes into the match. 1 - 4 for Hippopotami. RustyTrombones's Robert Demare was shown a yellow card for standing over the ball and blocking an opponent's quick free kick after 64 minutes. Zacarías Regúlez increased the visitors' lead by putting a volley shot away on a pass from the right. 1 - 5. Confident in their lead, Hippopotami decided to play a more defensive game at this point. Hippopotami's Damion Marsh received a play slashing through the home side's central defense after 79 minutes, and chipped it past the keeper to score the 1 - 6 goal. The home crowd was not pleased with that one. After 84 minutes, RustyTrombones's Robert Demare fell awkwardly, but was determined to stay in the match. 85 minutes into the game RustyTrombones broke through on the left wing and Luki Kelcher managed to reduce the lead to 2 - 6. 87 minutes into the game RustyTrombones broke through on the left wing and Bing Hilker managed to reduce the lead to 3 - 6. Martin Philipp Wolgast of RustyTrombones was booked for kicking the ball away after the whistle. Hippopotami enjoyed most of the ball, as they maintained 62 percent of possession.

Luki Kelcher performed admirably for RustyTrombones. Bradley Lau was a disappointment, however. Most important Hippopotami player was Carlos Thacker. Zurab Kavelashvili on the other hand, had a terrible day. The match ends 3 - 6.

Rating details

RustyTrombones Houston Hippopotami
Midfield passable (very high) outstanding (low)
Right Defence weak (low) solid (high)
Central Defence solid (very high) solid (high)
Left Defence weak (very low) weak (very high)
Right Attack weak (very low) passable (high)
Central Attack formidable (high) solid (very high)
Left Attack solid (very high) solid (high)
Indirect set pieces
Defence inadequate (low) inadequate (very high)
Attack inadequate (very high) inadequate (low)
Team Attitude (Hidden) Normal
Tactic Pressing Play creatively
Tactic skill inadequate -

Highlights

0 - 1 Donald Sidorczak 10'
0 - 2 Zacarías Regúlez 20'
1 - 2 Lewis Wheeler 25'
1 - 3 Oliver Angulo 54'
1 - 4 Oliver Angulo 63'
1 - 5 Zacarías Regúlez 78'
1 - 6 Damion Marsh 79'
2 - 6 Luki Kelcher 85'
3 - 6 Bing Hilker 87'
Carlos Thacker 7'
Robert Demare 64'
Martin Philipp Wolgast 89'
Martin Philipp Wolgast 28'
Robert Demare 84'

Possession

39%

61%

38%

62%

Cup Game Recap

No injuries and a fairly easy win. Sorry, guys: some days there's just not much to write about.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-04-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #32
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fixture, Week 5: Houston Hippopotami - T Hills FC

Fixture Preview

We're back to competitive games. Similar to the Selma Sumorats game, we have a home game with a team of comparable quality to ourselves. We may be leading the series right now but that's 100% a product of schedule. If we lose this one, we're looking at a 5th/6th place finish.

Also, I'm walking that series/cup tightrope which has burned me so many times in the past (and yet, still, I never learn). My next cup opponent isn't a huge challenge but isn't a giant pushover so, I've made a couple of tactical changes to the lineup; it's nothing major, tho.A huge thing for me is having a divine set pieces guy to go along with my head specialists and quick guys- it makes the little drop in "playing creatively" worth it, in my mind. So, I split up Delcarte and Linneberg, my two divine sp defenders, one for cup and one for series. Linneberg is a little weaker so he'll be playing today as well as the new defense trainees, Gafni and Kavelashvili (still learning to spell that one). That's significant because they don't have formidable playmaking like Cyburt and Heunul, which adds a couple of sublevels to my midfield. This allows me to hang with some of the better midfields out there without paying the wages and/or also allowing me to go with another wing attack rather than a WTM middie. Speaking of which, I'll be running out Sidorczak again today and using Partridge for the cup.

I don't think these will really weaken me as I'm running around with insane team spirit and am at home. I think T Hills will be building up team spirit of his own with a PIC but if he doesn't, I still think we win.

A minor formatting note- vBulletin isn't liking some of what I'm putting in disappearing large chunks of stuff for no reason so I'm testing out some new stuff (like standings from alltid). I hate to break up the consistency but I have to do it.

Kits

Hippopotami 4 – 0 Hills (217931293)

3-2-2009 01.00
Clouds darkened the skies at The Hippodrome as 68072 spectators turned up for the match. Hippopotami tactics involved an interesting 3-5-2 combination. The following players took the field: Özkutay - Gafni, Kavelashvili, Delcarte - Sidorczak, Marsh, Thacker, Quijada, Regúlez - Tetlie, Angulo.

Hills decided to use a 4-5-1 set up. The following players took the field: Wise - Donchev, Česonis, de Bertole, Aragon - Irzykowski, Blackburn, Lacy, Pavón, Eifert - Bălănica.

Hippopotami took a creative approach on the field. For their match strategy, Hills had decided to use their ability to counter-attack whenever possible. With 5 minutes played, Hills's Hueiler de Bertole fell dramatically just outside the penalty area. However, the referee booked Hueiler de Bertole for diving. It wasn't a pretty goal, but the free kick by Chema Delcarte after 6 minutes somehow found its way past the keeper. Hippopotami takes the lead, 1-0! Zurab Kavelashvili of Hippopotami was booked for kicking the ball away after the whistle. A well placed corner kick from Chema Delcarte was followed by Tor Tetlie's hard but accurate header. The nice combination marked a goal for Hippopotami, the score now 2-0. The referee showed Hills's Marvin Eifert the yellow card after a particularly nasty challenge. Oliver Angulo was the unlucky victim and couldn't continue the game, so Hippopotami's Volfs Treibahs had to come off the bench. Hippopotami solidified their lead at the 38 minute mark, as Zurab Kavelashvili manoeuvered the ball through the opposing central defence and finished for 3 - 0. After several obvious shirt pulling incidents, Hippopotami's Zacarías Regúlez got himself booked. 3 - 0 was the halftime score. This half belonged to Hippopotami, who controlled the ball 58 percent of the time.

After an industrious effort down the middle, Volfs Treibahs could have closed the game off after 47 minutes, but his finishing shot hit the post. Volfs Treibahs could have put Hippopotami up one more, but he fired into the side netting after breaking free on the left after 49 minutes. Volfs Treibahs gave Hippopotami supporters even more to cheer about when he increased the lead to 4 - 0 after 58 minutes, following a good exchange of passes on the right that the away team failed to deal with. The structure of the game started to change as Hippopotami decided to pull back and meet their opponents in their own half. 60 minutes into the match, Chema Delcarte could have extended the lead, but his very hard free kick went just over the bar. The referee showed Hills's Marcin Irzykowski the yellow card after a particularly nasty challenge. After 72 minutes Hippopotami's Itamar Gafni had to be carried off on a stretcher in agony. Ryan Linneberg came in to replace him. Hippopotami held the ball, with a clear 56 percent of possession.

Most important Hippopotami player was Carlos Thacker. Zurab Kavelashvili on the other hand, had a terrible day. Hills's top performer was clearly Nate Blackburn. However, Craig Aragon made a disastrous appearance. The match ends 4 - 0.

Rating details

Houston Hippopotami T Hills FC
Midfield brilliant (very low) excellent (low)
Right Defence excellent (very low) outstanding (very high)
Central Defence solid (high) brilliant (very high)
Left Defence inadequate (high) formidable (very high)
Right Attack passable (very high) weak (very high)
Central Attack excellent (high) weak (high)
Left Attack solid (very high) passable (low)
Indirect set pieces
Defence passable (low) solid (very low)
Attack passable (high) inadequate (very high)
Tactic Play creatively Counter-attacks
Tactic skill - formidable

Highlights

1 - 0 Chema Delcarte 6'
2 - 0 Tor Tetlie 35'
3 - 0 Zurab Kavelashvili 38'
4 - 0 Volfs Treibahs 58'
Hueiler de Bertole 5'
Zurab Kavelashvili 12'
Marvin Eifert 36'
Zacarías Regúlez 39'
Marcin Irzykowski 69'
Oliver Angulo 37'
Itamar Gafni 72'

Oliver Angulo
Volfs Treibahs
37'

Itamar Gafni
Ryan Linneberg
72'

Possession

58%

42%

56%

44%

Series Standings

Table

Home Away Total
P Team Pld W D L F A W D L F A GD Pts
1 Houston Hippopotami 5 2 0 0 7 0 2 0 1 15 8 14 12
2 Selma Sumorats 5 3 0 0 10 1 1 0 1 4 5 8 12
3 Supra Supreme 5 2 1 0 20 3 1 0 1 7 1 23 10
4 Wahoos 5 1 0 1 7 4 2 1 0 19 3 19 10
5 T Hills FC 5 2 0 0 6 0 1 0 2 3 7 2 9
6 Bridgemen 5 1 0 2 11 10 0 0 2 0 8 -7 3
7 O.G. Kickers 5 0 1 2 1 13 0 0 2 1 11 -22 1

Fixture Recap

Argh! Can I have one game without horrible injuries. I mean, really, I have 10 physiotherapists and their $1800 a week salary (up from $1000 back in the day) and I'm up to an insane 8 injuries, mostly on the young guys, and 17 "player weeks" of time lost.

Still, a win is a win and we're on that "best case scenario" so far from earlier in the season:

Quote:
  • Realistic best case: L/W/W/W/W/L/W D/D/W/W/W/L/W. 30 points which is probably good for 2nd or 3rd. Someone is going to walk away with a 33 or 36 point season since there are 42 on the board, 12 are guaranteed, and there's a lot of team spirit help out there.
  • Realistic worst case: L/L/W/W/D/L/W L/L/L/W/W/L/L. That would only net 16 points and either 5th or 6th place.
(Is it ok to flashback to earlier in the thread- I've always thought that movies that had to do it were victims of poor writing as if you couldn't emphasize a point enough for the audience to remember something less than 2 hours later, you weren't telling the story well enough)

But that was being generous to me, assuming a couple of draws that I might not get and a more imposing game at T Hills. I'm feeling like that somewhat boring college hoops team in a major conference in a down year. I'm getting to 10-6, beating up on the crappy teams, maybe stealing one good home win, and losing to the good teams in the league. Sure, I'm a lock on selection Sunday but I'm a bit of a paper tiger and will be lucky to make the Sweet 16.

That doesn't win you a series in hattie, especially with the Wahoos drawing Supra on the road. To have any hope of sniffing the series title, I'm going to need to pull a draw at the Bridgemen, win at home vs the Wahoos, and get some help. There are still points on the board that I'm not going to get as I'm going to lose to the Wahoos next week. There are also looming road games at T Hills FC and Selma which will take some careful team spirit manipulation and some luck...

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-04-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #33
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Where did you find the tables? Hatstats is badly out of date these days and alltid doesn't do it until after week 7

If only I knew who that dastardly CC FC was, I could knock him off and take over the auto-promotion spot

Haha. yeah.. i spent the first 3 weeks on the bottom of the list..like 16/16 slots because i had like a +4 GD with 9 points...

but the place i found it is too complicated... there's a link on the series page called "promotion status" on the hattrick page.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Cup, Round 6: Inter Milan-NYC - Houston Hippopotami

Cup Game Preview

One of the more interesting seriesmates I had in III.3 was hrudey22 of the Jacksonville Tea Men (brief writeup in the III.3 series preview). He eventually would make it up to MLS and was the U20 coach for the US for a while. He suffered from an inordinate amount of luck in the series, always able to win close games that he had no business winning, a true beneficiary of the HTRF (HT Random Factor). Oh, and he seemed to hurt opposing players. A lot. Well, anyways, Inter Milan-NYC, this week's cup opponent is in his series, prompting this guestbook exchange.

(6:32) Number 452 of 453 by sterlingice
That's just like you- not injuring players on teams in your series because I might have to play them a few rounds later in the cup. How selfish!

You know better. I certainly tried! The problem is, to kick a knee, you have to catch up to the player with the knee, and not only is that akin to defense, but it requires players with enough talent to know their ass from their elbow. Though, at least, it's not *pitchers* elbow we worry about.

Similar to the game with T Hills FC, it's going to be a lot closer than it could be because I'm splitting up some talent and this time I'll be PIC'ing, trying to build up team spirit for the next cup game. Remember, I held back Cyburt and Huenul at OCD so we'll get a midfield boost and Partridge will also be in at WTM. Treibahs will be subbing in for Angulo since he's hurt. I was going to play Little and Vickers in the midfield but I thought that might bring it down too far so I left Quijada instead of Little.

Did the gamble pay off?

Cup Game Box Score

Kits

Milan-NYC 1 – 2 Hippopotami (219474975)

3-5-2009 01.00
A brilliantly sunny day had enticed a crowd of 64176 to San Siro. Milan-NYC tactics involved an interesting 4-4-2 combination. The following players had been chosen: Elíasson - Hansson, Olszyna, Lupu, Ulyanitskiy - Frugier, Ampurias, Chi-Tam, Sabatini - Shurupov, Berns.

Hippopotami started off with a 3-5-2 lineup. The following players had been chosen: Mĺnholt - Delcarte, Huenul, Cyburt - Partridge, Vickers, Thacker, Quijada, Regúlez - Treibahs, Tetlie.

Hippopotami decided to play creatively. Milan-NYC could have put themselves ahead after 8 minutes but Andrey Shurupov missed a volley shot on a ball coming in from the right. The left side created an opportunity for the visitors 16 minutes into the match, and Tor Tetlie wasn't about to let it go by. He got past the defenders and fired a shot that the keeper just missed. 0 - 1 for the visitors. The visitors added to their lead 25 minutes into the game, after a sensational penalty kick by Hippopotami's Chema Delcarte slid just past the home keeper. 0 - 2. Many in the crowd felt the referee was being too lenient when he only showed Milan-NYC's Tinguaro Ampurias a yellow card after a mistimed challenge from behind 26 minutes into the game. The player down was Erwin Vickers. The Hippopotami bench looked worried for a while, but in the end he managed to get up. 0 - 2 was the halftime score. The forty-five minutes were dominated by Hippopotami, with an impressive 57 percent possession of the ball.

A marvellous Milan-NYC effort on the right-hand side resulted in a goal after 55 minutes by Andrey Shurupov, making the score 1 - 2. Óli Elíasson got a fingertip on Carlos Thacker's shot from the left 59 minutes in, and managed to keep the visitors from going up another goal. With 66 minutes played, Tor Tetlie nearly put the visitors another one up as he broke through in the middle and fired from just outside the box, but his shot passed just over the bar. With 78 minutes played, Hippopotami's Erwin Vickers fell dramatically just outside the penalty area. However, the referee booked Erwin Vickers for diving. The fierce heat made it important to save breath, and after a few swift runs Mar Chi-Tam found it hard to get back into position. This half belonged to Hippopotami, who controlled the ball 59 percent of the time.

Most important Milan-NYC player was Per Hansson. However, Óli Elíasson made a disastrous appearance. Hippopotami's best player was Carlos Thacker. However, Birger Mĺnholt made a disastrous appearance. The match ends 1 - 2.

Rating details

Inter Milan-NYC Houston Hippopotami
Midfield solid (very low) excellent (very high)
Right Defence brilliant (low) excellent (low)
Central Defence brilliant (low) solid (high)
Left Defence excellent (high) weak (very low)
Right Attack solid (low) weak (very low)
Central Attack weak (low) excellent (very low)
Left Attack weak (high) solid (very high)
Indirect set pieces
Defence passable (low) passable (low)
Attack weak (high) passable (high)

Highlights

0 - 1 Tor Tetlie 16'
0 - 2 Chema Delcarte 25'
1 - 2 Andrey Shurupov 55'
Tinguaro Ampurias 26'
Erwin Vickers 78'
Erwin Vickers 27'

Possession

43%

57%

41%

59%

Cup Game Recap

We kindof got lucky, as he out hatstat'd us but we had higher possession and 4 chances to 2. Also, I just can't emphasize enough how much playing creatively helps us as, again, one of our two goals came on a penalty kick. There were some tense moments there in the second half but it came out ok in the end.

Next up is an even bigger challenge in the cup. I thought I had been knocked out by this team in a previous cup but I guess I was thinking of someone else. Next week is going to be interesting strategy-wise. Maybe a PIC with some subs against the Wahoos will let Old Town Tavern's guard down and he'll lay up a little so we can take him by surprise when he gets our full squad and normal team spirit next cup game. Or maybe I'll just lose a pair next week and fans will be committing hari kari, dropping me back down below the level I was at before the win streak started in just a week...

Oh, and did I mention we got another injury, but it was only a "bruised", thankfully.

SI

Old 03-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #35
finketr
College Prospect

hm. iirc, play creatively hurts your defense, right? I'm pulling such high defense rating now maybe i should look at it.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #36
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
hm. iirc, play creatively hurts your defense, right? I'm pulling such high defense rating now maybe i should look at it.

It knocks mine down 2~3 sublevels, each, but I think it's a percentage. If you're pulling a high defense, it will hurt you more.

Also, I think your team has to really be built for it to be worthwhile (divine SPs, multiple quick wings/forwards, head forward). Mine is

SI

Old 03-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #37
finketr
College Prospect

what kind of goal is this:
CC bypassed the midfield with their counterattack, leading to a free kick goal by Joey Buschmann for 1 - 5.

SE? or CA?

Yes, we played CA which leaded to a 55-45 split (Excellent High vs Passable High) and a 2-6 victory with 2 penalties, 3 regular and the above goal... I lost the possession battle...

Code:
Everlasting FC CC FC Midfield excellent (high) passable (very high) Right Defence inadequate (very high) formidable (very high) Central Defence inadequate (very high) outstanding (very low) Left Defence passable (low) outstanding (low) Right Attack formidable (low) excellent (very low) Central Attack brilliant (very high) excellent (very low) Left Attack formidable (low) excellent (very high)

Last edited by finketr : 03-09-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #38
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't know. Now you're getting all fancy with your SE CA goals on me Seriously, tho, one of the utilities, either HAM or HO, keeps track of what kind of goals you score and for me it ended up being nearly a goal per game so that was worth a little defense to me. I think PC takes away a percentage of your defense, tho, so you'll fall further than I will

SI

Old 03-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #39
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fixture, Week 6: Wahoos - Houston Hippopotami

Fixture Preview

When you start in hattrick, you want to win every game. And, frankly, if you're a pretty good manager, at lower levels, you can go all out and win a lot of ball games. However, as you play hattrick longer, you really start to realize the value of giving up on games- 3 points handed away at one point usually turn into 3 or 6 gained at another, if you plan your team spirit well.

When you're in the cup, no longer facing pushovers, each week must be taken as a whole. The Wahoos are one of the best in the series- I picked them to finish first. If they win this week, they'll be there or at least tied, a little behind on GD. They've had a little schizophrenic of a season so far with a nice draw on the road against Supra but then lost at home against Selma

Old Town Tavern, our cup opponent, puts up some good ratings and leads his IV.49 (hey, that series sounds familiar!) but he still is a light in the midfield and can be beaten on the road. However, I'm going to need to keep my team spirit high and maybe play a couple of subs in one game to keep form up and get all training done. Which reminds me, I got a message from someone in Georgia (Sakartvelo), apparently Kavelashvili is on a watch list for the U20/National team so I should try to get him trained.

So, I was faced with the decision this week- go all out or play conservatively.

The easy answer is to punt against the Wahoos as I had been planning all along, PIC, win easily against OTT with the boosted team spirit en route to at least one more PIC next week vs Bridgetown or maybe 2 in a row if things go really well, going into the second half.

But a funny thing happened when I started running the numbers on HO (Hattrick Organizer). With as sky high as my team spirit and confidence are coming into this game, I'm getting a better than 40% chance to win, more like 47% win/17% draw/34% loss, based on my current lineup and his best over the past few games.

What to do...

Kits

Wahoos 2 - 2 Hippopotami (217931296)

3-9-2009 01.00
It had rained all day, but 41000 hardy fans still made it out to Standing Room Only. Wahoos decided to use a 3-5-2 set up. The following players had been chosen: Tuttle - Vanhove, Cavini, Houser - Dänzer, Hollis, Farmer, Gates, Braz - Suitts, Nix.

Hippopotami tactics involved an interesting 3-5-2 combination. Lineup: Özkutay - Cyburt, Huenul, Delcarte - Regúlez, Marsh, Quijada, Thacker, Partridge - Angulo, Tetlie.

Hippopotami demonstrated their creative tactics on the field. Oliver Angulo slipped and slithered in the wet grass. His usual rapid runs were nowhere to be seen today. The rain made it hard for players like Marc Nix to show their technical control of the ball on this soggy day. 30 minutes into the game, Damion Marsh was a hair's breadth away from giving Hippopotami the lead with a shot from over on the left. A prompt block by Jayson Tuttle saved the home team that time. Some beautiful plays on the left side of the field resulted in a goal after 31 minutes by Marc Nix for Wahoos, putting them ahead 1 - 0. Hippopotami's right side looked dangerous 32 minutes in, but Jayson Tuttle made a good save on Arkadiusz Cyburt's hard shot to the top corner. Halftime score was 1 - 0. Hippopotami held the ball, with a clear 57 percent of possession.

Carlos Thacker was ever so close to scoring after an excellent corner was perfectly redirected by Damion Marsh, but the ball went into the frame. 61 minutes into the match, Hippopotami's Oliver Angulo demonstrated his famed speed as he raced past his marker and passed the ball to Tor Tetlie who chipped it in for 1 - 1. Hippopotami had several good opportunities to take the lead, especially 65 minutes in when Tor Tetlie came up alone against Jayson Tuttle who managed a block. Hippopotami's Tor Tetlie managed to lose the defenders as he came down the right side and scored, putting the visitors ahead, 1 - 2. The Wahoos free kick 71 minutes into the match seemed wasted, as the shot was both short and off target. But there was an idea to it - the misdirected ball was turned into a cross towards Shawn Farmer, who was waiting for it in the box. That's 2 - 2! Don't forget to thank the assistant coach for that gem of a routine! Hippopotami held the ball, with a clear 57 percent of possession.

Wahoos's top performer was clearly Jayson Tuttle. Wilbur Houser on the other hand, had a terrible day. Hippopotami's top performer was clearly Carlos Thacker. Arkadiusz Cyburt turned in a dismal performance, however. The match ends 2 - 2.
Rating details

Wahoos Houston Hippopotami
Midfield formidable (very low) brilliant (low)
Right Defence excellent (very low) inadequate (very high)
Central Defence magnificent (low) formidable (very low)
Left Defence solid (very high) outstanding (high)
Right Attack formidable (very high) solid (very high)
Central Attack magnificent (very low) excellent (high)
Left Attack outstanding (low) weak (very low)
GardierStats361343
HTitaVal309.2276.9
PStats35.8534.02
LoddarStats29.6627.57
HatStats (total only)321290
HatStats (detailed)321
Defence: 103
Midfield: 99
Attack: 119
Defence: 92
Midfield: 126
Attack: 72
Vnukstats9.55
Defence: 8! 12- 7*
Midfield: 9!
Attack: 9* 12! 10-
Defence: 5* 9! 10+
Midfield: 11-
Attack: 7* 8+ 4!
Indirect set pieces
Defence passable (low) passable (low)
Attack passable (low) solid (very low)

Highlights

1 - 0 Marc Nix 31'
1 - 1 Tor Tetlie 61'
1 - 2 Tor Tetlie 66'
2 - 2 Shawn Farmer 71'

Possession

43%

57%

43%

57%

Series Standings

Home Away Total
1 Supra Supreme 6 3 1 0 22 3 1 0 1 7 1 25 13
2 Houston Hippopotami 6 2 0 0 7 0 2 1 1 17 10 14 13
3 Selma Sumorats 6 3 0 0 10 1 1 0 2 4 7 6 12
4 T Hills FC 6 2 0 0 6 0 2 0 2 7 7 6 12
5 Wahoos 6 1 1 1 9 6 2 1 0 19 3 19 11
6 Bridgemen 6 2 0 2 16 10 0 0 2 0 8 -2 6
7 O.G. Kickers 6 0 1 2 1 13 0 0 3 1 16 -27 1

Fixture Recap

I was watching this game closer than I had watched a hattie game in a long time (it lost its charm when the chat room went away).

I am quite conflicted- it's the battle of expectations versus adjusted expectations. A coworked or mine is a Dolphins fan and he was just enjoying this past season as they went from 1-15 to 11-5. But after they lost to the Ravens, he was so disappointed and was back on being down on them. I couldn't help but continuously remind him that you didn't in your wildest dreams even have them in this game so you just can't be too down. But once you taste success, I guess you can never have enough.

To get back to the game, I'm thrilled that a game that was painted "L" in even our best case scenario turned into a "D". But when we went up 2-1 after Tetlie's second goal, that was as happy as I had been about hattie in a long time. When they scored the equalizer, it was all I could do to stop hitting refresh every minute to see if he or I would score the next goal. It was almost a little tough to leave with "only" a draw, especially considering we had 4 scoring chances to their 2.

A couple of little tidbits for the record book. First is that I bet this is the first 10 game unbeaten streak we've had, for competitive games anyways. Same with the 9 game win streak that was snapped- I'm pretty sure we've never had anything that long, at least not since III. Looking back in my spreadsheet, I think we had a 13 game win streak to close season 26 and start season 27 but that was a long time ago.

The 69 stars we put up tonight is tied for 2nd best with a 69 star game in season 34, trailing only a 70.5 star game that season. I haven't gotten the 70 star achievement yet as that was from the days before achievements and I'm hoping to get it this season but I'm not sure where I'm going to squeeze another star from.

It was also my 13th best match ever by rating, 90% of my best. Most of the ones at the top of that list are week 14 MotS's, however, whereas this has to be one of the highest normals. It was also the second highest road rating ever, trailing at 91% season finale.

Next week, at the halfway point, I'll dissect what each team has left on the schedule as I should study up and see who is in the best shape to make it out of this. As you can see from the standings, there's not much separation at the top. The bottom two have guaranteed spots and The Bridgemen are all but locked into 6th. But then there's the top 5, all within 2 points and anyone could win this.

At the end of the day, we just turned a certain loss into a point in a game Hippos fans will remember for a long time.

Gentlemen, we have ourselves a ball game!

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-01-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #40
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
I don't know. Now you're getting all fancy with your SE CA goals on me Seriously, tho, one of the utilities, either HAM or HO, keeps track of what kind of goals you score and for me it ended up being nearly a goal per game so that was worth a little defense to me. I think PC takes away a percentage of your defense, tho, so you'll fall further than I will

SI

Yeah, well... it was luck, i guess... losing possession 55-45 and still getting multiple penalties and SEs and a regular...

ah well.. it's nice to be winning... and i think my defense rating may drop a little in the not too distant future as I'll be selling the 23 (or almost) defender when he pops.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #41
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Cup, Round 7: Old Town Tavern - Houston Hippopotami

Cup Game Preview

Remember what I said about the huge fixture this week, I might have to hold back a little talent in the cup. I want to get Kavelashvili in the game for the possible natty team (and just profitable training) implications. Gafni is still hurt so I couldn't play him even if I wanted to. But I think other than that, I'll be playing all starters. Linneberg and Delcarte are pretty much identical- Delcarte is maybe a half level better at defense but Linneberg has better secondaries and both have divine set pieces.

This means I'm going to start losing form on some of those older subs, which could really come into play with injuries and cards. But it's a chance I'm going to have to take because we're going to need every rating point we can get this week. HO is showing us with a 40% chance to win, 25% to draw, and 35% to lose so those aren't great odds even at full strength. We should still win the midfield battle and I have enough ratings on the pitch to get the win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by an aside
I have been lucky thus far this season, we haven't run into a sandbagger. In past years (not including last year's cup debacle), we have run into a lot of teams that can put up 300+ hatstats and are slumming in IV. Hell, I want to say that one year we ran into a team in V who put up a 300 on us. Even better was that if you looked at their previous season, they were undefeated and then tanked weeks 13-16 or something like that, so they could stay down.

For years, I've been an advocate to change the cup system. There are two reasons teams stay down- one is to fatten up your fan base with easy 10+ win seasons, keeping your sponsors happy without even needing to bother with spokesmen. The other is to make the deep, profitable cup runs as the lower ranked team gets home field. Take away that incentive and you will significantly discourage sandbaggers.

As for our opponent, Old Town Tavern hails from IV.49. If that sounds familiar to you, that's because it was home to the Screamin' Seamen for many seasons. For the record, that franchise is now back in IV, but IV.29, and goes by the name Club Deportivo Ibáńez. Just a little factoid I looked up before the game. He runs a good midfield, usually high solid or excellent, and fairly strong ratings across the board, almost all in the passable to excellent range. We're a slight tick better at most of those across the board, but it will be close.

And this assumes they're as good as they've been so far this year and haven't been holding back. Hm...

Cup Game Box Score

Kits

Tavern 2 – 3 Hippopotami (219734536)

3-12-2009 01.00
77784 spectators arrived at The Pub, where weather conditions were pretty good for football. Tavern decided to use a 3-5-2 set up. The following players took the field: Silyanovski - Smith, Haider, Burch - Schmeißer, MacElfrish, Ferrčre, Conan, Tömösi - Peters, Mcmullen.

Hippopotami tactics involved an interesting 3-5-2 combination. Lineup: Özkutay - Kavelashvili, Huenul, Linneberg - Partridge, Marsh, Thacker, Quijada, Regúlez - Tetlie, Angulo.

Hippopotami took a creative approach on the field. Tavern took the lead 10 minutes into the match after a magnificent free kick by Jeffrey Mcmullen that made the score 1 - 0. László Tömösi almost managed to score another goal for Tavern, coming from the right, but his header was tipped to a corner by the visitors' keeper. Charlie Partridge finished off a quick charge from the left of the field by chipping the ball just past the home side's keeper, making the score 1 - 1 12 minutes into the match. The home side put themselves ahead 2 - 1 after 13 minutes courtesy of a breakthrough from Stéphane Ferrčre, who, unaided, came in from the right wing hooking the ball over the visitors' keeper. There was concern in the stands when, at the 15 minute mark, Tavern's Jeffrey Mcmullen hit the ground hard, but he refused the attention of the trainer and rejoined his teammates on the pitch. After 41 minutes, the visitors evened the score after Tor Tetlie made it through the middle and struck home the 2 - 2 goal. After several obvious shirt pulling incidents, Tavern's László Tömösi got himself booked. It was 2 - 2 at the break. The forty-five minutes were dominated by Tavern, with an impressive 54 percent possession of the ball.

After 66 minutes, Hippopotami's Damion Marsh made his way through the middle and nonchalantly placed the ball out of the keeper's reach, putting the visitors up 2 - 3. Many in the crowd felt the referee was being too lenient when he only showed Tavern's Walter Schmeißer a yellow card after a mistimed challenge from behind 71 minutes into the game. 81 minutes into the game, László Tömösi came close to levelling the score with a dangerous shot from the centre of the area that went just over the bar. Hippopotami's Tor Tetlie made it through the home team's defence on the right hand side 83 minutes into the match. After rounding the keeper, he only had to place the ball in the unguarded goal when a defender sprang up, clearing the ball on the line. Nicholas MacElfrish made a superb strike after 84 minutes with a shot straight in front of the goal after a long ball through the middle, but one of the visitors' defenders got a foot in at the last second and warded it off for a corner. This half belonged to Tavern, who controlled the ball 55 percent of the time.

The most dominating Tavern player was without a doubt Nicholas MacElfrish. However, Eduard Haider made a disastrous appearance. Hippopotami's best player was Carlos Thacker. Zurab Kavelashvili was a disappointment, however. The match ends 2 - 3.

Rating details

Old Town Tavern Houston Hippopotami
Midfield magnificent (low) outstanding (high)
Right Defence excellent (very high) excellent (high)
Central Defence excellent (high) formidable (low)
Left Defence inadequate (very high) passable (low)
Right Attack inadequate (very high) weak (low)
Central Attack solid (very high) formidable (very low)
Left Attack inadequate (low) solid (very high)
Indirect set pieces
Defence inadequate (very high) passable (low)
Attack inadequate (very high) passable (high)

Highlights

1 - 0 Jeffrey Mcmullen 10'
1 - 1 Charlie Partridge 12'
2 - 1 Stéphane Ferrčre 13'
2 - 2 Tor Tetlie 41'
2 - 3 Damion Marsh 66'
László Tömösi 43'
Walter Schmeißer 71'
Jeffrey Mcmullen 15'

Possession

54%

46%

55%

45%

Cup Game Recap

When I saw that halftime possession, I was definitely worried. It looks like they saved their best effort so far this season for our game. Karma was a little unkind to us Sunday but helped us out today as we were 3 for 4 on chances to his 2 for 6. Tho, to be fair, we have a good defense and we have a pretty good attack compared to his defense.

So many little notes, so little time. We hit 70 stars in this match for only the second time ever. It hasn't been updated yet, but that will get me another 5 achievement points, 30 up from the 25 for 60+ stars. That will push me over the 300 achievement point barrier as well.

Next, the undefeated streak was pushed to 11. The top 15 undefeated teams in the US stop at 12 in a row so we're just off that list. For Div III, we're tied for 6th with Crizackheads, our next cup opponent.

Speaking of which, we get our first home cup game since season 28 next week. This would normally have me all tingly and excited, particularly since Crizackheads is about the same level of team as the Hippos or maybe just a smidge better. However, as luck would have it, they're located in Houston as well... which means it's a derby. So much for home field advantage.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, if I survive next week, I actually get a week off for a friendly before the next cup game for the Masters. If that's the case, I would have no friendly after my second Bridgemen game but between the game vs the Wahoos and at T Hills FC. If that all is true and comes to fruition, that could be very fortunate and I could really take advantage of it. However, I'm not even sure that is true and victory next week is no certainty.

Onto the Bridgemen and the end of the first half in III.3!

SI

Old 03-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #42
finketr
College Prospect

at the break, CCFC has 6 wins, 1 draw, +16 gd and ranked #45 (#5 autopromote slot for III->II).
Old 03-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #43
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Where are you getting the promotion info? I'd be curious to check as the season goes along. I'm about to do this week's fixture writeup and part of it looks at the possible scenarios out there for us

SI

Old 03-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #44
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Where are you getting the promotion info? I'd be curious to check as the season goes along. I'm about to do this week's fixture writeup and part of it looks at the possible scenarios out there for us

SI

Go to your series page (mine is iii.14).

click on the link that says "Promotion Status" in "More info" about your league.

--tim
Old 03-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #45
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fixture, Week 7: Houston Hippopotami - Bridgemen

Fixture Preview

Every season, there's a team or two who is in a little over their head in III. They won a weak IV and were able to build crazy team spirit and coast. Once in III, some of them quit partways through the season but most take their medicine and return to IV, to get stronger and come back. The Bridgemen are this year's version of that team. Everyone else is a step or two above them. Their only wins this season are over the two walkovers. However, they'll at least finish 6th and get a chance to stay with a qualifier.

Substitutions are one of the more useful innovations in the past few seasons. I've only used them in Youth Academy games so far but this seems like a good game to try it out in a real game. I'll play Sidorczak to keep his form up since he and Partridge are mostly a wash and get Kavelashvili his training this week. The subs will be Treibahs at forward and Little at striker- I'll put in conditions that if the lead is ever more than 1 or we're losing at halftime, Thacker and Tetlie will come in. That would instantly bump up the midfield and strikers well above what he is capable of.

I don't think I'll use orders all that often, but I like it in moderation. It's a good opportunity to get some experience and training for young guys or some rest for carded or older guys. It's a good change that was well overdue and I can see utilizing it a lot in early cup games.

Kits

Hippopotami 3 - 1 Bridgemen (217931300)

3-16-2009 01.00
Overcast weather free of rain made for a crowd turnout of 57179 at The Hippodrome today. Hippopotami decided to use a 3-5-2 set up. Lineup: Özkutay - Linneberg, Huenul, Kavelashvili - Sidorczak, Marsh, Little, Quijada, Regúlez - Treibahs, Angulo.

Bridgemen tactics involved an interesting 4-5-1 combination. Starters: Cooke - Porto, Orgad, Mesika, Pinczés - Bagay, Williams, Waller, Miller, Klangdahl - Shaver.

Hippopotami demonstrated their creative tactics on the field. Hippopotami broke through on the left 20 minutes into the game, with Oliver Angulo firing in from an acute angle to give the home side a 1 - 0 lead. Many in the crowd felt the referee was being too lenient when he only showed Hippopotami's Volfs Treibahs a yellow card after a mistimed challenge from behind 23 minutes into the game. Unfortunately for Bridgemen, Clayton Shaver was injured when the game became more physical, and he had to leave the field. Frederik Roosenboom replaced him. Donald Sidorczak made one of his many fine passes from the wing into the middle 24 minutes into the match. Volfs Treibahs bravely attempted to execute a diving header and the ball was met firmly with his forehead for Hippopotami. 2 - 0. Bridgemen's Yossef Mesika got himself booked for a foul. A magnificent combination in the middle resulted in Hippopotami's Oliver Angulo putting the lead up to 3 - 0. After 42 minutes, Yossef Mesika replied with a fantastic free kick and the ball went in off the bar. 3 to 1. Halftime score was 3 - 1. Hippopotami enjoyed most of the ball, as they maintained 59 percent of possession.

Oliver Angulo could have put Hippopotami up one more, but he fired into the side netting after breaking free on the left after 56 minutes. Hippopotami's Volfs Treibahs left the field after 68 minutes because of a nasty blow to the shin. His replacement was Tor Tetlie. Hippopotami's Thomas Little saw his fine effort strike the top of the bar following some good work up the middle by his teammates after 69 minutes. Andrei Cojocaru was called on to replace Bridgemen's Rotem Orgad after 78 minutes following a nasty collision. Oliver Angulo almost managed to score another goal for Hippopotami, coming from the right, but his header was tipped to a corner by the visitors' keeper. This half belonged to Hippopotami, who controlled the ball 57 percent of the time.

Batı Özkutay performed admirably for Hippopotami. Zurab Kavelashvili on the other hand, had a terrible day. Bridgemen's best player was Mikey Miller. Frederik Roosenboom on the other hand, had a terrible day. The match ends 3 - 1.

Rating details

Houston Hippopotami Bridgemen
Midfield excellent (high) passable (very low)
Right Defence outstanding (high) excellent (very low)
Central Defence excellent (very high) formidable (low)
Left Defence inadequate (high) excellent (very low)
Right Attack inadequate (low) passable (very low)
Central Attack excellent (high) poor (low)
Left Attack solid (very high) passable (very low)
Indirect set pieces
Defence passable (low) inadequate (very high)
Attack passable (high) weak (very high)
Team Attitude Play it Cool (Hidden)
Tactic Play creatively Normal
Tactic skill - (no tactic)

Highlights

1 - 0 Oliver Angulo 20'
2 - 0 Volfs Treibahs 24'
3 - 0 Oliver Angulo 40'
3 - 1 Yossef Mesika 42'
Volfs Treibahs 23'
Yossef Mesika 26'
Clayton Shaver 24'
Volfs Treibahs 68'
Rotem Orgad 78'

Clayton Shaver
Frederik Roosenboom
24'

Volfs Treibahs
Tor Tetlie
68'

Rotem Orgad
Andrei Cojocaru
78'

Possession

59%

41%

57%

43%

Series Standings

(having problems cutting and pasting- see next post)

Fixture Recap

The substitutions did exactly what they were supposed to. I didn't need Thacker so he's rested for the cup and avoids injury and card. I didn't want one of my big scorers injured so I played Treibahs in place of Tetlie. Treibahs got hurt and Tetlie had to come in but better than the other way around.

I would have liked to get some more points to help that differential but I'm working more towards points. This season, both will be crucial. Next up, a very tough cup game. But first a look ahead.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-19-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #46
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Series Standings

Table

Home Away Total
1 Supra Supreme 7 3 1 0 22 3 2 0 1 12 1 30 16
2 Houston Hippopotami 7 3 0 0 10 1 2 1 1 17 10 16 16
3 Selma Sumorats 7 4 0 0 17 1 1 0 2 4 7 13 15
4 T Hills FC 7 2 1 0 8 2 2 0 2 7 7 6 13
5 Wahoos 7 1 1 1 9 6 2 2 0 21 5 19 12
6 Bridgemen 7 2 0 2 16 10 0 0 3 1 11 -4 6
7 O.G. Kickers 7 0 1 3 1 18 0 0 3 1 16 -32 1

A Look Ahead

Likelypts891011121314
Supra16WO ogkat SelmaWO amblvs Bridgeat Wahoovs THillat Hippo
Hippo16at Brdgevs Wahooat THillWO amblWO ogkat Selmavs Supra
Selma 15WO amblvs Supraat Bridgevs Wahooat THillvs HippoWO ogk
THill12at WahooWO amblvs HippoWO ogkvs Selmaat Supravs Bridge
Wahoo13vs THillat HippoWO ogkat Selmavs Supraat BridgeWO ambl

Here's my best guess as to what happens. Walkovers (including Bridgement) are in blue, projected wins are in green and losses in red. Basically, I've gone with all home wins with the exception of myself winning at T Hills FC.

If that happens, the final standings will be as follows:
Hippo 34
Selma 33
Supra 28
Wahoo 28
THills 22

However, that's a near perfect scenario for us and lots can happen.

Five Teams
  • T Hills FC is just a half step below everyone else and has 2 road games. Good team spirit manipulation could put them in a serious spoiler role but I don't think he can win the series. They have just lost too many points so far.
  • The Wahoos have the bad luck of two of their three walkovers to end the season so they can't manipulate team spirit the way they need to. Still, they have shown the ability to surprise.
  • Supra leads but they have 3 tough road games. If he can steal two, he's in the driver's seat but that's a huge "if".
  • Selma has the inside track to win at the point. They are only 1 point back. Their only road game in the second half is at T Hills FC. He could run the table. Obviously, I hope he does not.
  • And, finally, the Hippos. I think we'll MotS at T Hills and that will give us a good chance to win, particularly as I'm still playing with really high team spirit. Then I can PIC the two walkovers and build it back up. If my walkovers were alternating games rather than bunched, I'd like my chances better.
Five Games
  • Week 10: Hippos @ THill - We need to win this road game to have a chance at the title.
  • Week 11: Wahoos @ Selma - Both will be coming off of walkovers, but Wahoos is a true one while Selma is at the Bridgemen. Wahoos have been able to steal a lot of points the last couple of seasons and this one just feels like one of those
  • Week 12: Supra @ Wahoos - Pretty evenly matched game, especially considering Supra will be coming off of 2 straight walkovers. If Supra wants to win the series, they probably need to steal this.
  • Week 12: Selma @ THill - If Selma wins the game against the Wahoos, this is their best chance for a loss in the second half. If they win those two games, they could run the table.
  • Week 14: Supra @ Hippos - One or both of these teams could be playing for first in the final week.
SI

Old 03-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #47
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Cup, Round 8: Houston Hippopotami - Crizackheads

Cup Game Preview

Last week, I already mentioned the rotten luck that this was a derby so only a limited midfield advantage. We get to play all of our best players after holding back a little in series against The Bridgemen. Unfortunately, if they play as well as they can, we still will likely lose with percentages running about 35/20/45 (W/D/L) against us.

He has been playing two different teams, similar to what I have been doing- holding back some players and making sure to get some others in. He played pretty much all of his big guys this past fixture so we might catch a break if he keeps the pattern up.

Cup Game Box Score

Kits

Hippopotami 4 - 1 Crizackheads (219999361)

3-19-2009 01.00
81000 spectators arrived at The Hippodrome, where weather conditions were pretty good for football. The derby had been the talk of Houston all week and fans of both teams could be seen throughout the stadium. A 3-5-2 alignment was the formation of choice for Hippopotami. The following players had been chosen: Özkutay - Delcarte, Huenul, Cyburt - Partridge, Marsh, Thacker, Quijada, Regúlez - Tetlie, Angulo.

Crizackheads decided to use a 4-5-1 set up. The following players took the field: Jansen - Ogén, Aguiar de Luque, Mclain, Sepulveda - Procner, Jágerský, Rotheigner, Torres, Groise - Wu Han.

Hippopotami demonstrated their creative tactics on the field. Using their counter-attacking abilities was the strategy of choice for Crizackheads on this day. A lovely rush by Crizackheads's Otto-Jan Groise past Chema Delcarte should have resulted in a goal, but the finish was just wide. Given a free kick at a sharp angle, Hippopotami went for a variation that loyal fans may recognize from training. A sideways passing move moved the defence out of position and let Aurelius Huenul slip through on goal. No hesitation - and it's 1 - 0, 5 minutes into the game. Crizackheads almost scored after a swift counterattack 17 minutes into the game, but Hoss Sepulveda put the shot from the left flank just outside the goal. A lunatic dribble by Ives Torres, in front of his own keeper, set up Hippopotami's Tor Tetlie for an embarrassingly easy strike after 20 minutes. 2 - 0! After 27 minutes, a couple of quick and successful challenges followed by a shot from just outside the penalty area by Charlie Partridge might have resulted in another goal for Hippopotami. However, Christopher Jansen made a spectacular save. 2 - 0 was the halftime score. This half belonged to Hippopotami, who controlled the ball 59 percent of the time.

Things were deteriorating for the away team as Hippopotami scored another to make it 3 - 0 after a left side attack resulted in a goal for Oliver Angulo after 62 minutes. A well placed corner kick from Chema Delcarte was followed by Zacarías Regúlez's hard but accurate header. The nice combination marked a goal for Hippopotami, the score now 4-0. A great pass from the defensive line of Crizackheads resulted in a counterattack that was smoothly brought under control by Hoss Sepulveda in the centre of the opposition's penalty area, but his finish went high. The away team reduced the score to 4 - 1, as George Mclain struck home, set up well by a play on the left 86 minutes into the match. Crizackheads's Otto-Jan Groise got himself booked for a foul. Oliver Angulo should probably have put his team up another goal after 88 minutes, but some great goalkeeping by Christopher Jansen kept the visitors in the game. With 88 minutes played, Crizackheads's Santiago Ogén fell dramatically just outside the penalty area. However, the referee booked Santiago Ogén for diving. Hippopotami held the ball, with a clear 56 percent of possession.

Hippopotami's top performer was clearly Carlos Thacker. On the other hand, Arkadiusz Cyburt's play was disheartening. Crizackheads's best player was Lee Wu Han. Mieczysław Procner turned in a dismal performance, however. The match ends 4 - 1.

Rating details

Houston Hippopotami Crizackheads
Midfield world class (low) formidable (low)
Right Defence outstanding (low) brilliant (high)
Central Defence formidable (very low) magnificent (very low)
Left Defence inadequate (very high) outstanding (high)
Right Attack weak (low) inadequate (very high)
Central Attack formidable (very low) inadequate (high)
Left Attack excellent (very low) excellent (high)
Indirect set pieces
Defence passable (low) inadequate (very high)
Attack solid (very low) weak (high)
Tactic Play creatively Counter-attacks
Tactic skill - world class

Highlights

1 - 0 Aurelius Huenul 5'
2 - 0 Tor Tetlie 20'
3 - 0 Oliver Angulo 62'
4 - 0 Zacarías Regúlez 82'
4 - 1 George Mclain 86'
Otto-Jan Groise 87'
Santiago Ogén 88'

Possession

59%

41%

56%

44%

Cup Game Recap

This was a mirror of last week's game. Last week, I saw us down in possession at halftime and was really worried. This week, with a 2-0 lead and 59%, I knew that barring something crazy we had this one in the bag.

It seems like we've been smashing records every week this season, and this game is no different.

This will be the first season ever we have advanced to round 9 in the cup! We had been to round 8 three times but never had won our round 8 game. Looking at the calendar, there is no week off for the Masters so I was incorrect on that account.

That undefeated streak is now up to 13, which is good for 6th in the entire USA. Like last week, our next cup opponent is on the list as Max's Marauders is 5th with 15 in a row. This means he has won (14) or drawn (1) every game this season, starting with the cup in week 1 until now. The top streak in the US is 17.

Speaking of Max's Marauders, if they play their best game and they play ours, we win. We should have elevated team spirit from another game against The Bridgemen and their midfield is ok but not spectacular and we've been putting up crazy midfields this season with a combo of good health, good form, and good card status. I'm hoping to keep that up.

Also, after the Wahoos game, I touched on the "best game" rating and how we hit 90% in that game. This game, we tied our best ever, a 306 Hatstats end of the season MotS in January of 2008. This one was a 317, our highest total ever.

With all of these team records falling, I think it's time for another little feature, this time about Achievements.

SI

Old 03-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #48
finketr
College Prospect

Another week, another virtual walkover and a 7 point lead with 6 to go and another virtual walkover this coming weekend...
Old 03-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #49
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Another week, another virtual walkover and a 7 point lead with 6 to go and another virtual walkover this coming weekend...

I was not so fortunate... (story to come )

SI

Old 03-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #50
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fixture, Week 8: Bridgemen - Houston Hippopotami

Fixture Preview

Well, you saw the plan. If we win out, we shouldn't need a lot of help to win III. So, onto week 1 of the second half of the season. We have a winnable series game and winnable cup game but I'm going to have to spread out the talent a little. It will be similar to last week except Tetlie will be playing the whole game with Treibahs hurt. I have this nice security blanket with substitutions should something go wrong.

But the rain was falling in Jersey on this dark day...

Kits

Bridgemen 1 - 1 Hippopotami (217931302)

3-23-2009 01.00
The crowd of 35087 turning up at Bridgemen Arena today were greeted with some nasty showers of rain. Bridgemen started off with a 4-5-1 lineup. They fielded: Cooke - Porto, Orgad, Mesika, Pinczés - Bagay, Williams, Waller, Miller, Klangdahl - Roosenboom.

Hippopotami decided to use a 3-5-2 set up. The following players took the field: Özkutay - Delcarte, Gafni, Kavelashvili - Sidorczak, Marsh, Little, Quijada, Regúlez - Tetlie, Angulo.

The wings were the focus of most of Bridgemen's attacks on this day. Hippopotami showed off their creative tactics. Mikey Miller showed great fighting spirit and didn't seem to mind the rain at all. Tor Tetlie had a good try after 6 minutes, coming in on a fine move from the left, but the ball went wide. Oliver Angulo slipped and slithered in the wet grass. His usual rapid runs were nowhere to be seen today. Bridgemen created a good opportunity to score 37 minutes into the match when Graham Waller's hooked ball from the left created a scuffle in front of the goal, and the visitors' defenders had a hard time clearing the ball. The home side put themselves ahead 1 - 0 after 41 minutes courtesy of a breakthrough from Erdem Bagay, who, unaided, came in from the right wing hooking the ball over the visitors' keeper. Halftime score was 1 - 0. The forty-five minutes were dominated by Bridgemen, with an impressive 54 percent possession of the ball.

The bench was restless, and in the 46 minute the coach gave Carlos Thacker the opportunity the player had been hoping for. Thomas Little reluctantly left the field. The visitors' Tor Tetlie was alert on a play coming in from the left, tying the score at 1 - 1 after 58 minutes. After several obvious shirt pulling incidents, Hippopotami's Donald Sidorczak got himself booked. After 77 minutes a very unfortunate collision in the penalty area led to Hippopotami's Juan Alberto Quijada being carried off the pitch and replaced by Arkadiusz Cyburt. Chema Delcarte became the new Hippopotami captain. 84 minutes of the match played, and a comedy of errors by the home side gave the visitors a chance at the lead, but Oliver Angulo, after finding himself dashing down on goal from the left with only the keeper to beat, sliced his shot horribly wide. With 85 minutes played Yossef Mesika almost gave the home side the lead with an unexpected free kick set up, but the visitors' Batı Özkutay was onto it, grabbing the would be breakthrough ball. After several obvious shirt pulling incidents, Hippopotami's Zurab Kavelashvili got himself booked. Bridgemen enjoyed most of the ball, as they maintained 52 percent of possession.

Most important Bridgemen player was Mikey Miller. Frederik Roosenboom on the other hand, had a terrible day. Hippopotami's top performer was clearly Carlos Thacker. On the other hand, Zurab Kavelashvili's play was disheartening. The match ends 1 - 1.

Rating details

Bridgemen Houston Hippopotami
Midfield solid (very high) solid (very low)
Right Defence excellent (high) formidable (high)
Central Defence excellent (high) excellent (low)
Left Defence excellent (very low) inadequate (high)
Right Attack inadequate (very low) inadequate (very low)
Central Attack wretched (high) excellent (very low)
Left Attack inadequate (high) solid (very high)
Indirect set pieces
Defence inadequate (very high) inadequate (very high)
Attack weak (high) passable (low)
Tactic Attack on wings Play creatively
Tactic skill formidable -

Highlights

1 - 0 Erdem Bagay 41'
1 - 1 Tor Tetlie 58'
Donald Sidorczak 70'
Zurab Kavelashvili 86'
Juan Alberto Quijada 77'
Thomas Little
Carlos Thacker
46'
Juan Alberto Quijada
Arkadiusz Cyburt
77'

Possession

54%

46%

52%

48%

Series Standings

1 Supra Supreme 8 4 1 0 27 3 2 0 1 12 1 35 19
2 Selma Sumorats 8 4 0 0 17 1 2 0 2 12 7 21 18
3 Houston Hippopotami 8 3 0 0 10 1 2 2 1 18 11 16 17
4 Wahoos 8 2 1 1 14 7 2 2 0 21 5 23 15
5 T Hills FC 8 2 1 0 8 2 2 0 3 8 12 2 13
6 Bridgemen 8 2 1 2 17 11 0 0 3 1 11 -4 7
7 O.G. Kickers 8 0 1 3 1 18 0 0 4 1 21 -37 1

Fixture Recap

I didn't watch this game as I was out on Sunday but as soon as I saw my front page and the "15 game unbeaten streak", I knew something had gone wrong as I should have also had a "4 game winning streak".

The rain ruined some of our scoring chances and ratings of our quick players while my midfield was awful due to holding back Thacker and Quijada being injured. Now we really need some help since we're 1 point behind Selma and 2 behind Supra. Like I said, I think Supra will come back to earth but Selma has an easy second half schedule and I need someone stealing points from them.

What a difference a week makes. Quijada and Treibahs are hurt. Selma has wrenched the series favorite mantle from us. Thinks are certainly looking most bleak...

"The Monarch"

What is that on the horizon? Is it a bird? A plane? Superman? No, that'd be silly. But it is royalty- John King, "The Monarch", and his mythical playmaking (and formidable passing) will be manning the midfield in our upcoming matches. He's instantly our best middie and comes to us in solid form and in our hour of need.

I'd been wanting to upgrade the midfield for a little while now and this is a perfect opportunity. The cup run brought in some extra cash and I had some cushion already. Ultimately, I'll have to sell someone once Quijada comes back (likely Marsh) to offset some of the $3.1M I paid for him but, more importantly, to offset the increased wages. But we'll worry about that once the dust settles.

For now, it's time to prepare for the cup and then try to steal a series game or two!

Quote:
John King (112974707)
26 years and 42 days, Next birthday: 6-3-2009
In solid form, formidable stamina.
A controversial person who is temperamental and honest.
Has inadequate experience and passable leadership abilities.

Owner: Houston Hippopotami (since 3-25-2009 (9/38), )
Total Skill Index (TSI): 188 120
Wage: 92 550 US$/week

Stamina: formidable Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: mythical Passing: formidable
Winger: weak Defending: poor
Scoring: poor Set pieces: solid

SI