Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #101
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
James also gives off the slimy politician vibe too when he came up during the program.

He annoys more and more every time he opens his mouth
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #102
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
He did. No one in the public tied him as anything more than a booster. Only when the facts came out, he was long gone.
I would have said no, since the '86 election was covered in the 30 for 30. He didn't run in 1990, because he had a snowball's chance after this and the oil well blowout.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #103
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I liked how Dickerson handled it.
Dickerson and James handle it completely the opposite. Dickerson smiles, laughs and winks, letting you know he got something but he'll never tell.

James smiles and acts smug, trying to make you believe he was the only innocent guy in the SMU program. Who can but that? Why does he sign to go to SMU AFTER Dickerson signs, knowing he's going to be No. 2? SMU was paying everybody but James? Please.

Makes me think even more Mike Leach got screwed. How can you trust Craig James?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #104
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Its little things like this that interest me.

If Clements hadn't been attached to SMU, would he have ran and beat Ann Richards in '90? Would he have run again in '94 at the age of 77? Would the we know who George W. Bush is if that had happened? I should have been a writer for Sliders.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #105
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I would have said no, since the '86 election was covered in the 30 for 30. He didn't run in 1990, because he had a snowball's chance after this and the oil well blowout.

However, his second term was marred by a startling revelation he made two months after taking office.

So, it never really hit home until he was already in.

Ann Richards would have beat him without this. He was not very well liked. We went through a bad spot of governors until Ann. I liked that old lady.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #106
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Thats why I have to chuckle everytime James bitches about how PSU won the National Title in 82 and SMU didn't.

Be honest, you giggle like a schoolgirl anytime someone brings up PSU national titles.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #107
molson
General Manager

I haven't caught all of these, but Pony Excess was by far my favorite thus far. I enjoyed the ones that felt like documentaries (the ones about Loyola Marymount and Len Bias), and was bored with the ones that seemed like filmmaker or celebrity-drive fluff pieces (House of Steinbrenner, Straight Outta LA, and Muhammad and Larry)

Last edited by molson : 12-14-2010 at 09:48 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #109
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ricky Williams and Allen Iverson ones were pretty good. Not sure about the rest.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #110
molson
General Manager

At the very least, I'd certainly hold out and buy both volumes together when they come out.

I'm surprised they don't have that ready to go for Christmas.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #111
digamma
Torchbearer

I haven't seen Pony Excess yet, but I think I would classify the overall thing as awesome story selections that didn't quite live up to my expectations when executed. While I liked most of the ones that I saw, I was often left with a feeling of wanting a little more from them.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #112
Butter
Coordinator

One of my favorites was on the Washington State Little League team from the early 80's. I thought they did a good job on the entire story, not just focusing on the game, but also its aftermath on the players.

Once Brothers and The Two Escobars have been the other standouts. I agree that many of the others have been great ideas in theory, but often the execution has been lacking in one aspect or another.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #113
Mike1409
High School Varsity

If anyone has Time Warner on demand several of these are available. I watched a lot of these over the weekend.
Once Brothers was a very good episode.
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #114
miami_fan
Coordinator

Comcast has them as well.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #115
Ramzavail
College Starter

Verizon does as well. Once brothers is by far my favorite, albeit, I'm semi-biased. I was a huge Petrovic fan. But even my wife, who initially was reluctant to watch, absolutely loved it and semi-brought her to tears.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #116
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

anybody else watching the fab 5? good shit.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #117
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Enjoying it a lot.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-13-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #118
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That was awesome. Great TV.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #119
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pretty good, but a tad long for me.

Webber looked really bad. I suspect his lawyers advised him not to comment, but they made him look moody, resentful, and kind of stupid.

It was awesome seeing Chris Webber in JR High. He looked like he was about 6'8, playing against kids that were 5-feet tall.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #120
Groundhog
Coordinator

Have to download this when I get home. Probably wont air over here for ages.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #121
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Pretty good, but a tad long for me.

Webber looked really bad. I suspect his lawyers advised him not to comment, but they made him look moody, resentful, and kind of stupid.

It was awesome seeing Chris Webber in JR High. He looked like he was about 6'8, playing against kids that were 5-feet tall.

Country Day is ten minutes from my house. My dad took me to see Webber play his senior year. I was five or six. All I remember is how incredibly easy it was for him. I have seen some other guys play in the area over the years but none were as dominant as he was.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #122
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I DVR'd this last night, couldn't watch it live. Hoping to carve out some time in the next few days to watch.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #123
Hoya1
High School JV

I totally missed this.
If anyone knows a place to download this, I'd appreciate it!
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #124
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Country Day is ten minutes from my house. My dad took me to see Webber play his senior year. I was five or six. All I remember is how incredibly easy it was for him. I have seen some other guys play in the area over the years but none were as dominant as he was.

I am originally from Southfield. I remember watching Mike Chappell, Shane Battier, and Dane Fife play. They are all awesome, but none made it look as easy as Webber.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #125
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya1 View Post
I totally missed this.
If anyone knows a place to download this, I'd appreciate it!

I had zero luck last night, but I imagine it should be all over the torrent sites by now.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #127
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The teasers for Catching Hell have started. That is the Steve Bartman one. Should be a fun one.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #128
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Seven more ESPN docs announced:

Quote:
Tuesday, Sept. 27, 8 p.m. – Catching Hell (Alex Gibney/Gary Cohen) *120 minutes
Tuesday, Oct. 4, 8 p.m. – Renée (Eric Drath) *90 minutes
Tuesday, Oct. 11, 8 pm. – The Dotted Line (Morgan Spurlock/Jeremy Chilnick)
Tuesday, Oct. 18, 8 p.m. – Unguarded (Jonathan Hock/Philip Aromando)
Tuesday, Oct. 25, 8 p.m. –The Real Rocky (Jeff Feuerzeig/Mike Tollin)
Tuesday, Nov. 1, 8 p.m. – Charismatic (Steve Michaels/Jonathan Koch)
Tuesday, Nov. 8, 8 p.m. – Roll Tide/War Eagle (Martin Khodabakhshian)

Film summaries:

Catching Hell (Alex Gibney)

With five outs remaining in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS, a foul ball descended from the cold Chicago sky, seemingly destined for the glove of Cubs left fielder Moises Alou. But a flurry of hands reached up and one hand, belonging to Cubs fan Steve Bartman, fatefully tipped the ball away from a frustrated Alou. Most long-suffering Cubs fans, including a chorus of hostile ones in Wrigley Field, quickly became convinced that Bartman had swatted away Chicago’s chance of advancing to the World Series for the first time 58 years. The mild-mannered Bartman released a sincere public apology, but his fate was already sealed by the Cubs fans’ need for a scapegoat to explain a near-century of losing. Oscar-winning documentarian Alex Gibney relates the scapegoat compulsion to his own frustration as a Red Sox fan when Bill Buckner was similarly singled out for letting a fateful ground ball go through his legs in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. Gibney engages Buckner and his story as a means of exploring what has kept Bartman so silent despite highly lucrative offers to tell his side of the story.

Renée (Eric Drath)

The film tells the story of Renée Richard’s battle to enter the 1977 U.S. Open as the first transgender tennis player. Simultaneously, it follows her today as she struggles to cope with a life of contradictions and personal conflict. Through interviews with tennis legends, family, friends and experts from the transgender field; a story of perseverance, breakthrough and hardship unfolds.

The Dotted Line (Morgan Spurlock)

The Dotted Line is an in-depth look at what it takes to be a big-time agent in the fiercely competitive world of major league sports. Agents Peter Greenberg and Eugene Lee are profiled along with their clients New York Mets’ pitcher Johan Santana (Greenberg’s) and NFL hopefuls Jacquian Williams and Robert Hughes (Lee’s).

Unguarded (Jonathan Hock)

Chris Herren, Fall River, Massachusetts’ high school basketball superstar, played for Boston University, for Jerry Tarkanian’s Fresno State team, bounced around the NBA (once playing for his beloved Celtics) and around the globe. Chris failed drug tests wherever he played. Ultimately, Chris - the youngest and most talented of three generations of local heroes - has found redemption and personal fulfillment through the game, but only after it led him down a path of alcohol and drug addiction that nearly killed him.

The Real Rocky (Jeff Feuerzeig)

Chuck Wepner is a liquor salesman from Bayonne, NJ who drives a Cadillac with “Champ” vanity plates. A former New Jersey State Heavyweight Boxing Champion, he took abuse from Sonny Liston, got his nose broken by Muhammad Ali, and inspired Sylvester Stallone to write “Rocky” which won three Academy Awards. Wepner was left out of the “Rocky” glory, and his career took turn after strange turn as he worked to stay in the spotlight: he went on to fight Andre the Giant as “The Assassin” and boxed a 900 pound bear. Twice.

Charismatic (Steve Michaels)

In June of 1999 an unlikely colt named Charismatic, with down and out jockey Chris Antley aboard, headed down the stretch at the Belmont Stakes, just seconds away from becoming the first Triple Crown winner in nearly 21 years. Thoroughbred racing was desperate for this story of deliverance as track attendance was in steep decline. Into this void stepped Charismatic and Antley, both thought to be lost causes. Together, they became the biggest long shots in 59 years to win the Kentucky Derby, and then followed up with another underdog win at the Preakness, before tragedy struck.

Roll Tide/War Eagle (Martin Khodabakhshian)

With two Heisman trophies, two national championships and one crazed fan, the biggest rivalry in college sports, Auburn vs. Alabama, has reached new heights in the last two years. This is the story of the history between the two programs, the bad blood between its fans and how this intense rivalry came to a pinnacle, just when they ended up needing each other most.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #129
Radii
Head Coach

I've been waiting... half with excitement, half with utter dread... a long long time for Catching Hell. It honestly still stings to look at the box score or play by play for that game (something i occasionally torture myself with when I go over to baseball reference to look up other stuff).
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #130
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
The teasers for Catching Hell have started. That is the Steve Bartman one. Should be a fun one.

This is the one I've been waiting for from the very beginning. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #131
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
This is the one I've been waiting for from the very beginning. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

It's actually available on Demand right now through Comcast. It costs like 7 bucks though. I'd rather wait to watch it on ESPN however.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #132
spleen1015
Coordinator

I am interested to see what happen to Bartman.

I hope Cubs fans can realize that it really isn't his fault.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #133
Radii
Head Coach

The Bartman doc, Catching Hell, premiers in 30 minutes on ESPN. Just reading the box score from that game makes me sad, I'm awaiting this with equal levels of interest and dread.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #134
sabotai
General Manager

I've been waiting for this one (and I'm not even a baseball fan). Have it all set to record on the TiVo so I can watch it commercial free when it gets about an hour into it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #135
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know if I can watch. One of the worst days of my life.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #136
Philliesfan980
Banned

I'm watching it now. I know there are commercials, but how the hell can you talk about this subject for two hours?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #137
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't know if I can watch. One of the worst days of my life.

October 6, 1984...game 4...Steve Garvey?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #138
Philliesfan980
Banned

Man... comon ESPN. You have to spend the first ten minutes of this documentary, supposedly about Steve Bartman, talking about the 1986 Mets/Sox series? Typical lazy ESPN.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #139
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
October 6, 1984...game 4...Steve Garvey?
I was 4.

Grew up a huge Cubs fan. Dad had season tickets. I drove in from Minnesota and sat in the bleachers when they clinched the division during a doubleheader. I was just so attached to that team. No losses ever hurt as bad as Game 6 and 7. I haven't felt the same way about baseball since.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #140
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Man... comon ESPN. You have to spend the first ten minutes of this documentary, supposedly about Steve Bartman, talking about the 1986 Mets/Sox series? Typical lazy ESPN.

Just in case you weren't aware, all of these documentaries are created generally by well known directors/documentary filmmakers with virtually no direction by ESPN. Almost all the directors have praised ESPN heavily for essentially staying out of their way and allowing them to do what they want.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #141
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I was 4.

Grew up a huge Cubs fan. Dad had season tickets. I drove in from Minnesota and sat in the bleachers when they clinched the division during a doubleheader. I was just so attached to that team. No losses ever hurt as bad as Game 6 and 7. I haven't felt the same way about baseball since.

4? Oh man, you missed a doozy.

Game 6, I just don't get. The Bartman catch should have had ZERO affect on the Cubs. I think part of it was Alou's attitude after it happened that got into the rest of the teams heads. If he was more like, 'Screw it. We'll get him on the next pitch' and acted like it was no big deal instead of jumping around all pissed, I think it may have ended differently for the Cubs.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #142
LloydLungs
College Prospect

One thing I'm amazed about, post-Bartman, is that I still see fans reach up and compete with the home team's players on pop-ups all the time. Look, (a) I'm pretty sure the Cubs were going to find a way to lose that game regardless, and (b) MANY fans were going for that ball. Bartman was just the unlucky dope that actually deflected it away. But I still hate the conventional wisdom "He was just doing what anyone would do, going for the ball!" No, if your team is trying to make the catch, you be a smart fan and get the @^!&*! out of the way.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #143
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't blame Bartman, it was just a shitty night. It's tough to explain the atmosphere and the fan base at that time. It was something that seemed like a sure thing going into the 8th inning. Over the course of 10 minutes everything turned to shit.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #144
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
(b) MANY fans were going for that ball. Bartman was just the unlucky dope that actually deflected it away.

Ya, ESPN highlighted one of those other fans today. His family and friends, watching the game right away viewed HIM as the guy that ruined the play.

ESPN - OTL: Almost Infamous - E-ticket

Last edited by molson : 09-27-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #145
molson
General Manager

Dola, and I haven't watched the documentary yet, but I really think this wouldn't have been such a big deal if Alou hadn't acted like such a baby in left field. That reaction got the fans fired up and it exploded from there.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #146
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

FUCK ALEX GONZALEZ
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #147
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
...Alou hadn't acted like such a baby...

Does not compute
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #148
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I wrote Steve Bartman the day after the game and he wrote me back a few weeks later. We traded emails for a while but it's been a few years.

I can't watch that doc, though. Knowing how close the Cubs came only to blow it, it still breaks my heart in a million pieces.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #149
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Dola, and I haven't watched the documentary yet, but I really think this wouldn't have been such a big deal if Alou hadn't acted like such a baby in left field. That reaction got the fans fired up and it exploded from there.

This.

It is really sad what happened to this guys life. Pathetic people reacted the way they did.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:57 AM   #150
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I finally watched Catching Hell. After the way that the fans acted, I hope that the Cubs never win again.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote