Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #301
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Also, it was announced recently that Civ 6 will be coming to the Nintendo Switch... very intriguing.

I picked it up for my recent trip; very impressed so far. It's all there, and though I haven't gotten very deep into a game (medieval era is about as far as I have gotten), the turns progress pretty quickly.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #302
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I picked it up for my recent trip; very impressed so far. It's all there, and though I haven't gotten very deep into a game (medieval era is about as far as I have gotten), the turns progress pretty quickly.

Awesome. I'm sure I'll pick it up after I finish Octopath.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:38 PM   #303
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #304
Edward64
Head Coach

Sad to say I haven't touched Civ 6 in a long, long time. Too busy with FO76, Stellaris and (hopefully) Ace Combat 7.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #305
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I pick it up every few months, sleepwalk through a win and put it back again.

Last edited by jeff061 : 02-07-2019 at 11:58 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #306
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post

Same, although I figure if I get a really fun game or two out of each DLC its still just about worth it for me. The main problem is that it seems like the more new features they add the more opportunity there is for the human to take advantage of the AI unless you play on an obscene difficulty level.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #307
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post

Same for me. Maybe I'm growing out of the game or maybe this version is just not that good. The crappy AI has worn on me.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:34 PM   #308
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I've never been an extremely strong Civ player, winning occasionally on King.

Unless the light bulb has all of a sudden gone off with me, the AI is just fundamentally broken in this iteration. If they could have fixed it, they would have by now.

Last edited by jeff061 : 02-07-2019 at 12:35 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:02 PM   #309
Thomkal
Head Coach

Play Civ 6 for free until Thursday on Steam:

Play Civilization 6 for free on Steam for the next couple of days | PC Gamer
Old 02-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #310
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Fanatical has some good deals on Civ 6 too.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #311
bhlloy
Coordinator

So I’m not sure I’m even going to get a single play through of this new expansion. It’s basically the same game. Don’t build stuff along flooded rivers, or the square next to volcanoes... cool.

The new mechanics might be better in late game, but I’m not sure I’m patient enough to even get there right now. Massively, massively underwhelmed and fighting the urge to just uninstall.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:18 PM   #312
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I just started a game today as the Maori and got a few turns in; I absolutely love their (Maori civ) new approach to starting the game - on an ocean tile with a settler unit and tech to embark and cross ocean tiles. I only got a few turns in, but as a very exploration biased player, I may have a new favorite civ to play.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #313
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Building stuff next to a volcano is a risk/reward so it adds choices. I'm in the early stages but I'm enjoying the added strategy.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:07 AM   #314
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Played as Mali for my first game and...oh, my. I only had six cities for the game, but by the end of the game, I was making ~950 gold per turn. Culture seems to be buffed; I normally have between 50% and 100% more science per turn than culture, but my culture values this game were about double my science. In fact, I ended up winning the game as a culture victory by sending three rock bands on tour. I was getting 2000-3000 tourism a pop from concerts, which seems overpowered compared with the steady 4/turn for a great work.

I think it's worth keeping a sleeping builder around on high ground to clean up after events like flooding and volcanic eruptions. That way you don't have to be wary of working tiles in danger zones. Of course, Mali can pretty much buy a builder whenever they want.

Time to try a different civ. Eleanor and Dido don't seem to be getting much play yet, so I'll try them.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #315
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It's still early yet for me, but I love the feel of hurricanes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters randomly occurring; seeing a hurricane form off the coast of one of my most powerful cities is terrifying, but they're not all bad; tile outputs are sometimes buffed after the disaster has occurred.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 02-16-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #316
MrBug708
Head Coach

It is a fun game for sure! Glad to have an update. The new civs are unique, but I still stick with Kongo because I dislike the added religion and how tedious it is
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:30 AM   #317
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It can definitely be frustrating to deal with the AI spamming the crap out of missionaries to spread their religion. It still feels like the religions don't add enough tangible benefit for the tedium of maintaining them. I have yet to try a faith-purchase heavy strategy though.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #318
Thomkal
Head Coach

I know everyone wanted to see a game of Civ 6 with all the civs available through Gathering Storm on a real-world map right? You're welcome

All 42 Nations Battle on a Giant World Map! (Civ 6 Gathering Storm) - YouTube
Old 03-01-2019, 08:59 PM   #319
molson
General Manager

I've played CIV IV on and off for 10+ years now, I've played very few other games in that time. I'm just about ready to jump into some youtube playthroughs (or whatever the kids call them these days) to finally check under the hood and see what I've fucked up all these years.....I'm kind of expecting my mind to be blown, I've intentionally avoided tips, tricks, published strategies, etc.

I was planning on jumping to CIV VI next but there is a strong sentiment online that I should maybe play with V for a while first....
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:38 PM   #320
kcchief19
Pro Starter

What's been the experience with rock bands? I hadn't had much success, usually 1-4 shows at best and then done.

Until my current band, however. Pink Ant is a juggernaut. It's a Level-4 with three promotions, including Pop Star so I get half of tourism in gold. The band has sold 3,300 albums and had some shows more than 30,000 tourism. I'm currently sitting on 103,000 gold, and that's after I've been on a massive spending spree buying military units and buildings. I basically bought a win in a sending aid challenge by sending about 15,000 gold to the Inca.

Trying to see how long I can keep this up, just playing gigs on tiles where it has a promotion and World Wonders.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:07 PM   #321
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Well, it was good run while it lasted. Finished with 3,750 albums sold, Probably created close to 400,000 in tourism, because I know it had to be close to 200,000 in gold created, if not more. Crazy.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:39 PM   #322
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'll have to say, I'm really enjoying Civ 6 with all the DLCs.

I'm using Lautaro from Mapuche with the real world map. It's the first time I've really dug into the game since release.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #323
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm thinking about buying the latest DLC Gathering Storm as its 25% off right now on Steam. I know the weather/environment and diplomacy has been improved and the reviews are positive. Also read this is the last one for Civ 6.

For those that have it, no regrets?
Old 07-21-2019, 10:09 PM   #324
dolfin
High School JV

No regrets here, I'm having a great time with it. The climate change stuff does add an interesting piece to the game. Gives you more decisions to think about.
dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:31 PM   #325
ColtCrazy
College Starter

The Switch version was on sale during Prime days, so I picked it up. Really impressed, even if my first game was a major failure. Plays great on the Switch too.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #326
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well you probably thought the Civ series was blessedly free from a "battle royale" version....well you'd be wrong...sort of:

Civilization VI Adds New “Red Death” Battle Royale Mode. Yes, Really.

Update is tomorrow
Old 05-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #327
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Civilization 6 is getting a new season pass with 6 DLC packs | PC Gamer

The choice to buy new content is always great. I may wait until they knock a couple bucks off the price though. I wonder what the new district will be.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 05-11-2020 at 01:23 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:40 PM   #328
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Civilization 6 is getting a new season pass with 6 DLC packs | PC Gamer

The choice to buy new content is always great. I may wait until they knock a couple bucks off the price though. I wonder what the new district will be.
So not like the big expansions I take it? Just smaller content and extra civs?
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #329
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah but if you look at it overall, there's 9 new civs, 6 new games modes, and more content.

That could very well equal an expansion pack.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:06 PM   #330
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thanks for that NH. I'll probably either wait for the price to go down or buy individual DLC's, we'll see.

In CIV 6 sale news. Rise and Fall is $12 over at IndieGala for the next couple days.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:32 PM   #331
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Thanks for that NH. I'll probably either wait for the price to go down or buy individual DLC's, we'll see.

In CIV 6 sale news. Rise and Fall is $12 over at IndieGala for the next couple days.

Gathering Storm is 17.50 I assume that if i just have Vanilla Civ6, I should just get Gathering Storm as that gets me everything I don't have.

Last edited by henry296 : 05-11-2020 at 02:34 PM.
henry296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:39 PM   #332
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Gathering Storm is 17.50 I assume that if i just have Vanilla Civ6, I should just get Gathering Storm as that gets me everything I don't have.

rise and gathering storm are separate expansions. you need both if you want 'everything' but if you're choosing one, storm is reputedly the better expansion.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:22 AM   #333
RendeR
Coordinator

I don't even play 6, I just keep playing 5 and enjoying myself. 6 bores me to tears.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:57 AM   #334
Edward64
Head Coach

Been playing Civ 6 on-and-off. I do like the weather elements in Gathering Storm but still hate how religion (e.g. missionaries) is incorporated, there's no way to cleanly turn it off and seems too intrusive.

I find the early stage of Civ the most fun with the exploration and setting up your Civ for success. The mid and late stages seem to be a slog. I do wish the late modern era could be slower somehow, there's not a lot of time to use my fancy weapons.

I've played Civ since the first iteration. Scary to think how much time I've spent on it.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:15 AM   #335
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I don't even play 6, I just keep playing 5 and enjoying myself. 6 bores me to tears.

Me too. I was just playing V again yesterday (until frickin' Wu Tang attacked one of my cities just for claiming the VITAL luxuries that the Roman Empire requires!). I just seem to prefer the land rush of V rather than figure out the districts and whatnot in VI.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #336
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Been enjoying 6 a lot on the Switch lately and finally won my first game as France with culture. I haven't downloaded the DLC yet but will. This is almost making me want to buy a PC to get back into PC gaming.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #337
SackAttack
Head Coach

I bought a 50" 4k TV a few weeks ago and attempted to play Civ 6 on it for the first time after getting the expansions from IndieGala.

Never had a display issue on the 32" or 39" that came before it. On the 50", I'm losing the menus/stuff on the borders and game settings won't let me tweak to a higher resolution (presumably because I'm already running Win10 at the highest resolution my video card will support).

Is this something I need to poke around in my TV settings for, or wait until I upgrade my PC later this year (and have a dedicated video card instead of an integrated Radeon)?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #338
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Been playing Civ 6 on-and-off. I do like the weather elements in Gathering Storm but still hate how religion (e.g. missionaries) is incorporated, there's no way to cleanly turn it off and seems too intrusive.

I find the early stage of Civ the most fun with the exploration and setting up your Civ for success. The mid and late stages seem to be a slog. I do wish the late modern era could be slower somehow, there's not a lot of time to use my fancy weapons.

I've played Civ since the first iteration. Scary to think how much time I've spent on it.

I don't know how closely console mirrors vanilla+DLC pc but I'm finding it awfully difficult to avoid falling into a religious focus no matter what form of victory I intend to go far. The only civ I've avoided that with is whichever one can't use religion I forget offhand. Otherwise, it's simply too enticing to get into that mode and mindset.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:14 PM   #339
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I don't know how closely console mirrors vanilla+DLC pc but I'm finding it awfully difficult to avoid falling into a religious focus no matter what form of victory I intend to go far. The only civ I've avoided that with is whichever one can't use religion I forget offhand. Otherwise, it's simply too enticing to get into that mode and mindset.

I've tried avoiding using religion/missionaries.

But then those damn pagans cross my borders to convert my cities and I get PO'd at their audacity !! And then I restart because I'm too far behind religion wise and go for Stonehenge.

There needs to be some sort of setup for religion. I think it's too inherent to completely get rid of everything "religion" but I would be happy if they stop coming across my borders.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #340
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

But then those damn pagans cross my borders to convert my cities and I get PO'd at their audacity !! And then I restart because I'm too far behind religion wise and go for Stonehenge.

There needs to be some sort of setup for religion. I think it's too inherent to completely get rid of everything "religion" but I would be happy if they stop coming across my borders.

So you want the ability to enact some kind of muslim ban?
Old 05-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #341
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So you want the ability to enact some kind of muslim ban?

Yes! Actually any religion and anyone coming crossing my borders except for trade routes!
Old 05-13-2020, 09:38 AM   #342
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

In the advanced rules, you can turn off Religious victories, or you can just select civs that aren't religious focused.

I hated the missionary waves myself.

Frankly, I want to like Civ6 but I just don't enjoy it like prior versions.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:50 PM   #343
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post

Frankly, I want to like Civ6 but I just don't enjoy it like prior versions.

Me too. I Love Civ 5.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #344
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Me too. I Love Civ 5.

I congree. I also like 5 more than 4 too.

(Congree - portmanteau of concur and agree)

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 05-15-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:17 PM   #345
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I play as the Kongo for this reason.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:36 PM   #346
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

You guys make me want to try Civ 5 again.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #347
ColtCrazy
College Starter

We got new Macs for work, so I downloaded Steam and loaded Civ 5 back up. Absolutely loving it. I like a lot of what Civ 6 is trying to do, but I feel like I can actually have a nice epic game in 5 more so than 6. Civ 6 feels like a race than a civ building game.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #348
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm downloading Civ V again right now. You guys have me wanting to fire it up tonight!
Old 05-17-2020, 07:19 PM   #349
Thomkal
Head Coach

I've actually been getting back into Civ 5: Beyond Earth a bit lately.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:34 PM   #350
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Just an hour into Civ 5 and I have no idea why I haven't been playing this instead of Civ 6.