Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #51
miami_fan
Coordinator

Now that Big Sam is retired from club football, who is the new relegation rescue guy in the EPL?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #52
Critch
lolzcat

Alan Pardew is still sitting by the phone.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #53
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
FdB is not good

Who or what is FdB?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #54
kingfc22
Head Coach

I'm guessing Frank de Boer
Old 08-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #55
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Not even sure how it's possible, but the refs seem even more incompetent this season than I can ever remember.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #56
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Damn, Toronto is fantastic! Anything is possible in the playoffs, but it's going to be really tough to knock this team off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2017, 02:03 PM   #57
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I told you Dembele would be a good signing for you, whomario.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:56 PM   #58
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I told you Dembele would be a good signing for you, whomario.

I'd rather have players than money, personally ... Overall i can just say "good riddance". Guy was electric, but not irreplacable (we did win the first 2 games of the season comfortably without him) and still had almost as many brain farts as great moments. Very happy that management went with Yarmolenko as his replacement, choosing ability-now over potential resale-value. Even if he turns out to be a dud, not like those 25 mil would hurt considering the amount of money coming in the last few seasons.

Think he will be really good anyway, only reason he stayed with Kiew so long is not being interesting for the suuuuuper great clubs (no shame in that) and not wanting to leave his home club (well, amost. Came there at age 17) for just any club. Now aparently he wants to grab his last chance to make a name outside his comfort zone and Kiew has some money problems. Anyway, the guy is really, really good from what i can tell (watched 2 games recently with that league starting earlier and quite a few over the years)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 08-29-2017 at 03:01 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:36 AM   #59
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

One of our better youth players just forced a move to BvB. Taking Dembeles number apparently. Next star or Daniel Sturridge Mk 2....
Old 08-31-2017, 11:22 AM   #60
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
One of our better youth players just forced a move to BvB. Taking Dembeles number apparently. Next star or Daniel Sturridge Mk 2....

"One of our better youth players" is putting a brace face on Kid is widely regarded as a Top3 prospect worldwide in his age bracket. (also won the MVP at the U17 Euros)

And as far as i can tell he could have gone to Dortmund any time he wanted for essentially free (250k i think), the only reason Dortmund is apparently paying an actual fee is that they don't want to wait while it is legally settled. Sancho simply hasn't signed a professional contract with City because he does not want to play there professionally.

And weren't there as many he was barred from training (because he refused to sign a contract) than that he refused to train (because he wanted to switch clubs).

Don't expect him to play here much this year, stay for 2 years and then still make a 25+ mio transfer to the EPL. Guess you have to do that sort of thing nowadays, not that i personally agree with it. I'd rather give that spot to someone from our own ranks ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 08-31-2017, 12:06 PM   #61
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Sancho wasnt even considered our best prospect.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-31-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:14 PM   #62
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

And he was not brought on tour to the states because he hadn't signed a contract. He has refused to train since then. I actually don't begrudge him on the move at all, but he thinks he is better than he likely is. He is only 17 and if he expects the club to cater to someone that young and create an easy clear path for him, then he is nuts.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:47 PM   #63
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Any competition including Paris SG is now asterisked, pulling all kinds of tricks to avoid the financial fair play penalties. A bad day for the game.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:48 PM   #64
MIJB#19
Coordinator

C'mon, Tonny Vilhena! Pride of Maassluis to save Oranje!
Old 08-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #65
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Will be interesting to see how Arsenal and Alexis do from this point on.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:59 PM   #66
whomario
Pro Starter

Apparently Roos Barkley decides in the middle of his physical, that he actually does not want to go to Chelsea after all. Boy, those doctors are gonna have some explaining to do
Old 08-31-2017, 06:50 PM   #67
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Any competition including Paris SG is now asterisked, pulling all kinds of tricks to avoid the financial fair play penalties. A bad day for the game.
FFP is a joke. It sucks for Ligue 1, but I'm not shedding any tears for Barca, Real, Bayern, Man City, Chelsea etc.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:50 PM   #68
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

TIMELINE OF SPENDING IN SOCCER

1. Top teams spend big to compete at the highest level
2. FFP is introduced
3. Teams still spend big to compete at the highest level
4. The End
Old 08-31-2017, 09:12 PM   #69
bhlloy
Coordinator

You missed the part where lower league clubs get burned for going percentages over

In fact thinking about it, pretty sure UEFA brought in consultants from the NCAA infractions committee when they came up with the plan for FFP
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:25 PM   #70
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
TIMELINE OF SPENDING IN SOCCER

1. Top teams spend big to compete at the highest level
2. FFP is introduced
3. Teams still spend big to compete at the highest level
4. The End
Yep. Put in a salary cap on player wages/transfer fees or teams will find a way around it. But I doubt that'd even be legal, let alone possible at this point.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #71
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
FFP is a joke. It sucks for Ligue 1, but I'm not shedding any tears for Barca, Real, Bayern, Man City, Chelsea etc.
Very true, some of those are known as repeat offenders of what financial fair play was supposed to battle.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #72
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

What was it supposed to battle again? Financial sustainability? Any of those clubs about to go under?
Old 09-01-2017, 02:13 PM   #73
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
What was it supposed to battle again? Financial sustainability? Any of those clubs about to go under?
Financial fair play: all you need to know - UEFA.com
Old 09-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #74
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I know why it was created and who was actually pushing the buttons behind it. It didn't work.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #75
miami_fan
Coordinator

UEFA launches formal investigation into PSG for financial fair play - ESPN FC

I am not saying that there is not wrongdoing regarding PSG's summer of spending, but it is starting to have a "Get back in your place, little club" feel to it.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #76
kingfc22
Head Coach

Our Center Backs are shite
Old 09-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #77
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
UEFA launches formal investigation into PSG for financial fair play - ESPN FC

I am not saying that there is not wrongdoing regarding PSG's summer of spending, but it is starting to have a "Get back in your place, little club" feel to it.

Those pesky arabs.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:00 PM   #78
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I mean.. uh yeah.. Financial Fair Play
Old 09-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #79
RainMaker
General Manager

Seems kind of silly to not take advantage of home field in big qualifiers. Playing in New Jersey made this a neutral site.

US Soccer deserves what it gets.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #80
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Seems kind of silly to not take advantage of home field in big qualifiers. Playing in New Jersey made this a neutral site.

US Soccer deserves what it gets.

Playing without any legit defenders was the problem.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #81
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah players deserve blame but you're putting yourself at a disadvantage in your choice of locale. US Soccer has been so poorly run that perhaps missing the WC would be a shot in the arm for some real change.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:05 PM   #82
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think that loss was worse than the USA-Mex loss last fall.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #83
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I think that loss was worse than the USA-Mex loss last fall.
Shurg, Costa Rica is better than people think, and they took care of their limited chances & Navas made some huge stops (particularly the one on Pulisic) & the ref gave us zero help (Altidore should've drawn a PK first half). But the lack of horizontal or diagonal runs up top by anyone other than Pulisic confounds me and Tim Ream should never be called into the national team again, let alone start at CB. I don't get why Besler didn't start (or Carter-Vickers doesn't get called in). Cameron playing that poorly was shocking though.

Tuesday's game is big, but even a draw still leaves us in really good position due to CONCACAF having 3.5 spots & Honduras/Panama having a tougher final 2 games.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #84
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
You missed the part where lower league clubs get burned for going percentages over

In fact thinking about it, pretty sure UEFA brought in consultants from the NCAA infractions committee when they came up with the plan for FFP

Also missed was the part (in England) where big clubs rigged youth development to avoid having to pay large fees to smaller clubs when they steal their best players ....
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #85
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Tim Ream should never be called into the national team again, let alone start at CB. I don't get why Besler didn't start (or Carter-Vickers doesn't get called in).

I think even Arena gets caught in that European player > MLS player mentality from time to time. Either Besler or Gonzalez would have been a better option.

Though what do we have to do to have Brooks and Yedlin healthy for a WCQ anymore?
Old 09-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #86
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Tuesday's game is big, but even a draw still leaves us in really good position due to CONCACAF having 3.5 spots & Honduras/Panama having a tougher final 2 games.

I keep seeing this, but isn't is possible that Mexico and Costa Rica lay down a bit once they have officially qualified under the guise of trying out younger players / different formations but really in order to knock the US out?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #87
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

WOW!!

US Soccer Federation Rejects NASL's Division II Application – FiftyFive.One

Ultimately I think it's best for NASL to drop down and for teams like the Cosmos and Miami FC to join up with USL. Quite stunning though.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #88
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I keep seeing this, but isn't is possible that Mexico and Costa Rica lay down a bit once they have officially qualified under the guise of trying out younger players / different formations but really in order to knock the US out?

Yes and then people here will bitch about them tanking and/or screwing the US
Old 09-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #89
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
WOW!!

US Soccer Federation Rejects NASL's Division II Application – FiftyFive.One

Ultimately I think it's best for NASL to drop down and for teams like the Cosmos and Miami FC to join up with USL. Quite stunning though.

Why does this even matter with no promotion/relegation ? I always figured it was an inofficial designation, so i am quite surprised it apparently isn't.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #90
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Why does this even matter with no promotion/relegation ?

2 reasons:

The first is sponsorship money basically. There are brands that won't sponsor a team if they are too low down the pyramid, or will ask for substantially less. These would have a dramatic impact on the two biggest NASL clubs - the Cosmos and Miami FC. Both who have had owners who have been... delusional about the size of their teams. Also the owner of Miami FC is the one who is currently suing USSF about not allowing Pro/Rel (though this delisting is due to USSF mandating a certain amount of teams and NASL not meeting it).

In addition, it makes USL ascendant. The USL tied its cart to MLS, and includes a number of MLS2 teams. And it is currently developing its own D3 league. If the NASL falls, then the MLS model is even more firmly in charge. And probably even more kills the hope of some for pro/rel anytime in the near to mid future.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #91
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
2 reasons:

The first is sponsorship money basically. There are brands that won't sponsor a team if they are too low down the pyramid, or will ask for substantially less. These would have a dramatic impact on the two biggest NASL clubs - the Cosmos and Miami FC. Both who have had owners who have been... delusional about the size of their teams. Also the owner of Miami FC is the one who is currently suing USSF about not allowing Pro/Rel (though this delisting is due to USSF mandating a certain amount of teams and NASL not meeting it).

In addition, it makes USL ascendant. The USL tied its cart to MLS, and includes a number of MLS2 teams. And it is currently developing its own D3 league. If the NASL falls, then the MLS model is even more firmly in charge. And probably even more kills the hope of some for pro/rel anytime in the near to mid future.

Additionally, the standards for being D2 are significantly higher than D3 in terms of how many teams are needed, the metro areas they are in, owner capitalization, and a few other items. The purpose of the standards was to make it harder to be D2 and hopefully have that lead to a stable D2 league in the long term.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #92
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Though, of course the stable D2 league (USL) is friendly with MLS. So any hopes that some had that a stable D2 could challenge for a pro/rel regime would be dashed. Pro/Rel in the US in the next 50 years was a stretch anyways, it's basically dead now (barring some legal ruling requiring it, which is unlikely).
Old 09-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #93
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Though, of course the stable D2 league (USL) is friendly with MLS. So any hopes that some had that a stable D2 could challenge for a pro/rel regime would be dashed. Pro/Rel in the US in the next 50 years was a stretch anyways, it's basically dead now (barring some legal ruling requiring it, which is unlikely).

That friendliness with MLS was absolutely necessary once MLS solidified. What's worse for the NASL is that the neoCosmos owners are why it's the trainwreck it is now. The original commissioner, David Downs, had worked out the deal that USL ended up taking but the neoCosmos delusional asshat owners talked enough of the other teams into declining it and Downs stepped down immediately. That led to clueless hack Bill Peterson whose history includes the dying years of NFL Europa and the comically incompetent/criminal UFL. They've got a placeholder commish now, but he's almost certainly not competent and the league lost a lot of goodwill with their ties to Traffic who played a major role in the FIFA scandal.

Hopefully this is the end of pro/rel talk from anyone other than the most inane sources.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #94
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I think even Arena gets caught in that European player > MLS player mentality from time to time. Either Besler or Gonzalez would have been a better option.
Yeah I don't love Gonzalez & his lack of speed vs a counter-attacking team, but he probably would've at least improved the chemistry back there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I would hope Mexico remembers last cycle when we scored 2 penalty time goals to win at Panama and get them through to the playoff. Plus, a Mexico (or US) B squad is still much better than Trinidad & Tobago, and we're also +8 on Honduras in goal differential thanks largely to our 6-0 win over them.

Also, for tonight's 5:36 game it looks like you can do a free week trial of fubo.tv if you don't get BeIn sports.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:12 PM   #95
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Go90 is also a good (free) option.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #96
BishopMVP
Coordinator

7 new starters today.

Guzan
Zusi-Besler-Gonzalez-DMB
Pulisic-Bradley-Nagbe-Acosta
Dempsey-Morris
Old 09-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #97
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Our Center Backs are shite

Old 09-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #98
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Bobby Wood with the trashman goal to save it. Now to root for T&T to steal a point vs Panama!
Old 09-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #99
MrBug708
Head Coach

So what's the situation for qualification right now?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:15 PM   #100
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
So what's the situation for qualification right now?

Last two games are vs. Panama and at T&T, so we control our own fate.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 09-05-2017 at 07:15 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote